Flat-Earthers Rejoice!

News/Opinion by Kip Hansen – 5 March 2021

Flat-earthers all over this flat Earth are rejoicing now that  “a brash new world map [is] vying for global domination.”   This brand new world map is gloriously flat . . . absolutely flat.   In fact, it is a two-sided, two-dimensional disc.  To have your very own copy, you need only use your color printer to print out either of the files available at these links:  Click here to download the .docx file or choose this one as a .pdf.

The wonderful news is reported in The New York Times in a piece titled: “Can This New Map Fix Our Distorted Views of the World?” written by Joshua Sokol.  Now, I don’t know if Mr. Sokol really thinks that the maps we find in our families’ prized World Atlases actually lead us to have distorted views of the world.  But it is certainly not true about our children and grand-children who have to be physically forced to open a real printed book for any purpose.  All of mine would much rather whip out their SmartPhone™ or their tablet or laptop computer and pull up Google Earth or any one of the hundreds of other rotatable- and zoomable digital globes of our planet (take your pick from this Google search results list or this DuckDuckGo search).

So, introduction complete, here’s the new map:

Here’s the link for a very cool little mp4 movie showing that Flat-Earthers have been right all along.

The neat thing about this “disc-Earth” is that if you were a very tiny person and you were to walk south from any point in the Northern Hemisphere, when you got to the edge – the very very edge – and were to take one more step further (even a half-step) you find yourself on the other side of the Earth!

Now, you may think that a whole lot of effort has been put into the creation of this questionably-useful Map of the Earth.  Joshua Sokol at the Times quipped that “Cartographers who regularly study world maps — perhaps fewer than 10 people — will now have time to react.”   That sounded about right to me – I mean, how many people care even a little bit about such things.  Boy, was I surprised when I looked up the topic of Map Projections.  There are literally hundreds of these, all with their reported advantages and faults.  To do a little exploring, try these links:

1.  From the United States Geological Survey, their 1989 Professional Paper 1453, “An Album of Map Projections” 262 pages.  (.pdf)
  2. Wolfram MathWorld site offers a list of about 60 different types of projections – each type having many individual examples.
  3. Radical Cartography offers a list of Wall Maps with thumbnails.
  4. The “Compare Map Projections” site has a very extensive list of projections, with a tool that allows one to compare any two projections against one another.  There are three from Dr. Gott, but not the latest one discussed here.
  5. MapRef  has a very fine discussion about map projections, more than you will ever want to know (unless you are one of the 10 or so World Cartographers…)

Of course, the best reference for the new projection is the original draft of the study  “Flat Maps that Improve on the Winkel Tripel” by Richard Gott, David M. Goldberg and Robert J. Vanderbei. (on arxiv.org, .pdf available)  There are “lots of pictures” even if you don’t read much of the text.

The Winkel Tripel in the title?  That’s this one:

This is the previous improvement on the above from Richard Gott and Karlheinz Wagner:

If you read Gott et al. paper, you will discover that Gott claims to have made a similar map of the entire Universe.  What could go wrong with that?

# # # # #

Image Credit: The “It’s flat bro…” mug image from Etsy. LovedOnesGifts made this item with help from Mug Printing and Warehouse Partner, Bristol, PA. You can buy one here.

# # # # #

Author’s Comment:

Dr. Gott, you can have this suggestion free-of-charge.  Quickly secure the rights to your disc-Earth image (and all the others from your paper: The Moon, Jupiter, Mars, Venus and the Universe) and farm the rights  out to manufactures to make plastic disc-Earths and moons and planets for sale in all the science and natural history  Museum Shops around the world.  You are right, they will make wonderful additions to the bedrooms of little boys and girls, hanging by a little strings from the ceilings or combined to make Alexander-Calder-like mobiles above babies cribs.  Better yet, make the entire set of the planets to make solar system mobiles!  (I want one, please).

I’m going to make a paper one for my three-year old grandson.

# # # # #

4.7 14 votes
Richard Drake
March 3, 2021 2:04 am

I want one too.

Vuk
Reply to  Richard Drake
March 3, 2021 2:35 am

Why not have this one, his and her’scomment image

Last edited 2 months ago by Vuk
Ben Vorlich
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 3:16 am

That has a remarkably snake like appearance Vuk!

Vuk
Reply to  Ben Vorlich
March 3, 2021 3:36 am

Ben, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, I didn’t see it like that, more like two sets of underpants, might sell well to globetrotters, flat- or round-earthers or even couch potatoes. Any one interested in a quick-fire investment?

Bryan A
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 7:51 am

I was thinking the underside of conjoined twins joined at the hip

alastair gray
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 4:56 am

Well of course the Warmistas will all accuse us of being Flat Earthers. so we should all get these maps.Now I raise the question. What do Flat Earth belief, Cognitive Dissonance, Conspiracy Theories and lots of Teenage Sex have in common?
Answer They all apply to everyone else but me.
My favourite conspiracy theory is “The Loch Ness Monster has not been seen for a few years. It has been abducted by aliens.”
Somebody once told me that The Flat Earth Society was not as daft as it sounds as it was a semi serious attempt to force us to confront and justify all of our treasured beliefs and Shibboleths. So where is the real incontrevertible evidence that the earth is spherical. The best is that we have 2 poles of rotation. Maybe someone can come up with a better one.

In a similar vein I once watched a debate between believers and non- believers on Out of Body Experiences. Wonderful stuff debate All should do it more.
Anyway one of the non believers said ” I used to sit firmly in the believer camp and I could at will project myself up to the ceiling with a sense of total reality and look at the top of the wardrobe. However when I got people to place random objects on top of the wardrobe , I could not bring any reliable information back. I therefore conclude that the human brain is a wonderful instrument capable of nearly flawlessly recreating any physical world it wants to. ” -Perceptive chap I thought

Vuk
Reply to  alastair gray
March 3, 2021 5:57 am

Of course, the Earth is flat, it’s just that space around it is curved, haven’t you heard of Albert Einstein ?!
It’s not just the Earth that is flat, whole of the Universe is flat, and further more we live in hologram universe so on small scale you would think its 3-D, no chance you are just tiny dimension-less dot on somewhat larger than usual photographic plate.
“The exact shape is still a matter of debate in physical cosmology, but experimental data from various independent sources (WMAPBOOMERanG, and Planck for example) confirm that the universe is flat with only a 0.4% margin of error.”
So there, round-Earthers lack basic education.

Last edited 2 months ago by Vuk
Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 6:10 pm

No Man, I saw the correct description in an episode of the Simpsons. It was the one with Stephen Hawking, and Homer was very thrilled to hear that his theory of a donut ( Or is it doughnut?) shaped Universe may well be correct, and least according to some pointdexter with way too much time on his hands and no real job.

Reply to  alastair gray
March 3, 2021 9:30 am

comment image

An ancient LP also has to poles of rotation, is it a sphere ?
An evidence may be the night shadow if you look out of ISS on earth.

Reply to  Krishna Gans
March 3, 2021 10:36 am

two poles of rotation…. sorry

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  Krishna Gans
March 3, 2021 6:13 pm

That picture is fake.
Here is what it really looks like:

donutearth1.jpg
Lurker Pete
Reply to  alastair gray
March 4, 2021 5:59 am

The best refutation of the ‘flat earth’ theory I saw was a triangular course plotted on physical maps consisting of 3 turning points all at 90 degrees to each other.

The FE brigade declared it impossible, issues a challenge with a $100,000 prize to prove it. Some enterprising chap on youtube printed out dozens of flight navigation charts, plotted the triangular course, complete with 3 x 90 degree turns, and stuck them together with tape, the only way you can do this ends up in a spherical paper map.

Needless to say he is still waiting for his prize as the challenger reneged!

MarkW
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 7:30 am

Poor Greenland and Antarctica, ripped to shreds.

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 8:32 am

Why not have this one, his and her’s”

Why not “hi’s and her’s”

Vuk
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
March 3, 2021 9:38 am

Nowdays it’s more appropriate ‘its’, some people get offended by h-word.

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  Vuk
March 3, 2021 6:16 pm

Some people get offended by “some people”.

Sara
Reply to  Richard Drake
March 3, 2021 1:52 pm

Where can I get a Flat Earth Society coffee mug?

Vuk
Reply to  Sara
March 3, 2021 2:14 pm

Sara, that is not round coffee mug, flat Erthers wouldn’t dream of having anything round, it is a flat tea mug, it clearly says on it ‘It’s flat bro’

Last edited 2 months ago by Vuk
Sara
Reply to  Sara
March 3, 2021 7:46 pm

If it is flat, then it will have to be large enough to hold a full 8 ounces of tea/coffee or it is FAKE!!!!!

I know: it’s a delusion, created by the Deluded.

Ed Zuiderwijk
March 3, 2021 2:05 am

Can’t be right. There’s ice at the North Pole. Not possible.

Scissor
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
March 3, 2021 4:39 am
Chaswarnertoo
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
March 3, 2021 7:12 am

That all melted ten years ago…..

Mr.
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
March 3, 2021 9:42 am

Can’t be right. There’s ice at the North Pole.

Well that’s how National Geographic wall maps depicts things – no ice at the Arctic.

(no wonder all those numpties sail up there every year and find themselves stuck fast in that ice that isn’t there)

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
March 3, 2021 9:50 am

Well…since all people living in the northern “hemisphere” see the sun passing from east to west across the southern sky, that must mean the sun makes a circular path above the rim of the disc. Thus, it is hottest in the equatorial regions because the sun passes directly overhead. It would naturally be coldest at the north pole because the sun never gets near there. This also explains why the sun appears to circle the sky above the horizon when viewed from the pole.
Of, course, there must be a twin sun circling below the underside of the disc.

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 3, 2021 10:20 am

Next, you’re probably going to ask why the sun isn’t visible for months at a time from north of the arctic circle.
Well…obviously, the Earth isn’t perfectly flat. There must be a hump, or flat ridge, that circles the pole. The sun also obviously circles at a lower level above the rim during winter. It eventually gets low enough during winter for the circular hump to block it from view in the northern arctic.
Think man, think! With enough imagination any paradigm can be preserved against contrary evidence!

DonM
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 3, 2021 10:33 am

its flat, there is no hump.

the light is bent due to rotational & surface tensions and doesn’t make it all the way to the north (middle) point

Steve Reddish
Reply to  DonM
March 4, 2021 7:49 am

I think maybe you did some more cleverer thinking!

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 3, 2021 10:40 am

I noticed that the moon appears to make a higher pass across the sky during winter. I can’t decide if it simply flies higher while the sun flies lower in winter, or if it circles farther north during winter, making it pass closer to directly overhead. I think the answer must have something to do with eclipses being predominantly a spring and fall thing. Too bad we didn’t actually send men to the moon. We could have found out where it actually is.

Last edited 2 months ago by Steve Reddish
Ron Long
March 3, 2021 2:09 am

Good posting, Kip. I actually like the view, it presents less distortion than a lot of the others. However, us geologists have adapted very well to GPS, utilizing WGS84 and UTM meters, so our view of the world is very regular N-S and E-W. You cannot imagine the advantage of parking your vehicle, taking a GPS waypoint, wandering (working?) through the mountains for 4 or 5 hours, then returning to your lunch sandwich by the most direct route.

Gordo
Reply to  Ron Long
March 3, 2021 2:21 am

Ron,

You forget the fun we used to have trying to arrive back at our start point on an old fashioned pace and compass traverse………oh, that right, it was a proverbial pain. My first GPS experience was in heavy West Coast (New Zealand) forest, an briefcase sized GPS (remember briefcases!), and a set of aluminium poles to get the receiver through the canopy …Heaven

Ron Long
Reply to  Gordo
March 3, 2021 4:12 am

So, Gordo, did you ever have the philosophical discussion (like I did several times) about what the meaning of “lost” was?

Spetzer86
Reply to  Ron Long
March 3, 2021 4:52 am

The meaning of Lost? They were all dead in the first place.

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Spetzer86
March 3, 2021 9:03 am

They were all dead Catholics who had to spend time in Purgatory to pay for their sins before they could move on.

Reply to  Ron Long
March 3, 2021 4:56 am

I consider “lost” to be exploration. Knowing where you are is like drilling a development well… 😉

Abolition Man
Reply to  Ron Long
March 3, 2021 6:39 am

At 9 or 10 years old I was fishing the outlet stream from a lake we were camped at called Double Eleven O because it didn’t have a name, only an elevation on the quadrangle! I came to another pool with a small fall plunging into it and realized that it looked EXACTLY like the previous pool I had been at ten or fifteen minutes before a couple hundred feet back up the mountain. My older brother had disappeared downstream and, looking back up the slope, I could see NO sign of the upper pool due the thick manzanita brush we had been working our way through! Then the chills and goosebumps started!

Talk about feeling lost; I thought I had been mysteriously transported back to the other pool or even another time! I wasn’t sure if I was still in the same universe, but many people seem to think I’m in or from a different one! Fortunately my brother popped his head up and I realized I wasn’t doomed to an existence on a planet without other humans!
I still get chills when I recall the experience, and I ask myself: “Were those ponds a paternoster formation or just from fractures in the granite?” I’d like to go back and check!

Reply to  Ron Long
March 3, 2021 9:06 am

. . . what the meaning of “lost” was?

“You’ve never been lost until you’ve been lost at Mach 3.”
 –Paul F. Crickmore (SR-71 test pilot)

Jim

Reply to  Gordo
March 3, 2021 4:55 am

My first pace & compass traverse looked like a cat’s cradle!

About 20 years ago, I bought my first hand-held Garmin. It had no base maps in it, but you could do the equivalent of pace & compass traverses with it! Geologists are so easily amused…;)

The last Garmin I bought had base maps and you could load topo maps on it… Then I got a smart phone.

Davidf
Reply to  Gordo
March 3, 2021 10:44 am

Did you ever figure out that ponga ferns play hell with reception?

Abolition Man
Reply to  Ron Long
March 3, 2021 4:34 am

Ron,
You obviously did not have intelligent or industrious bears in your working area!
We always tried to find a scenic halfway point to eat lunch with a view!
Best memory: eagle gifting me a primary feather while watching a pair playing in the breeze coming up off Great Salt Lake!
Worst memory: rattlesnake noisily greeting me face to face as I pulled up onto his ledge that I had used for a handhold to clamber up a ridge! Don’t recall exactly how; but suddenly I was about ten feet lower, trying to keep my heart inside my chest, before putting on a pair of leather gloves and finding a different route up!

Ron Long
Reply to  Abolition Man
March 3, 2021 6:58 am

Stupid bears are the worst kind. The last time I was in the field with a good friend, him 78 and me 68, we took a selfie of us in front of a key altered outcrop. My friend kept saying “I think I hear something” which I wrote off as his advanced age. Then we looked at the picture and there was a rather large rattlesnake between us on a small ledge.

Dudley Horscroft
March 3, 2021 2:24 am

Sorry, Sir Terrence Pratchett already has copyright on the flat map of Discworld. Also I note that your map is missing the Elephants and the Turtle.

Be careful you do not upset the Unseen University staff and the Guild of Assassins.

dodgy geezer
Reply to  Dudley Horscroft
March 3, 2021 2:40 am

…in particular, the Librarian….!!

Climate believer
March 3, 2021 2:51 am

They don’t make ’em like they used to..

Cassini_map_of_France_68.png
Ed Fix
Reply to  Climate believer
March 3, 2021 5:44 am

…and that’s a good thing!

UNGN
March 3, 2021 4:01 am

If I dig a hole in my back yard, I’ll be in South America, now instead of China. I knew my dad was confused.

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  UNGN
March 3, 2021 6:41 pm

Still does not explain why they do not fall off down there…

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
March 4, 2021 8:10 am

No explanation for why top-siders fall on, either.

Greytide
March 3, 2021 4:04 am

Very nice but…..   Click here to download the .docx file or choose this one as a .pdf.  both seem to point to the .docx!

Greytide
Reply to  Kip Hansen
March 3, 2021 10:49 am

Hans Erren
March 3, 2021 4:13 am

Thanks Kip, John Snyder is indeed essential reading material

Abolition Man
March 3, 2021 4:37 am

Kip
Lots of good fun, but be sure you don’t say anything to the kiddies about Santa Claus not being real!

Sara
March 3, 2021 4:49 am

Having been the recipient of a 45-pound map atlas, something I never asked for and didn’t want which still sits on top of a bookcase, I’ll take NASA’s “Earth At Night” for $20, Kip.

Sara
Reply to  Sara
March 3, 2021 10:36 am

I still have it and won’t let it go. I never knew about places lie Azerbaijan and Tajikistan until I had that overweight volume in my paws. Priceless!

Bruce Cobb
March 3, 2021 4:54 am

Those who don’t believe in a flat earth are just knuckle-dragging Earth Deniers.

Bob Hoye
Reply to  Bruce Cobb
March 3, 2021 7:33 am

Not exactly so. I’ll elaborate below.

March 3, 2021 5:00 am

As is usual with you people, this stinks of disinformation and cherry-picked half-truths! As I leave my front door on a quest, I have to ask: Are you bloody bastard bullies gonna update this so-called “map” before I get to the dragons? (Or at least before they get to me?)
No use to me at all, what with my sword at the pawn shop and all…

Sara
Reply to  paranoid goy
March 3, 2021 10:38 am

Oh, you’re just on the wrong planet, PG. There are no dragons here. They are all on Bimballa, heading southbound to escape a line of erupting volcanoes.

Crowcatcher
March 3, 2021 5:00 am

Highly suitable BBC journalist who belong to the Flat Earth Society😄

Flight Level
March 3, 2021 5:08 am

An otherwise fine well mannered gentleman tried once to convince me that aircraft windows are in fact a complex system of cameras and video-processing screens to artificially create the illusion of the curvature of a spherical earth. Which in reality is flat but no one is ever supposed to disclose the secret.

And that I should be brave enough to come forwards and help denounce the untold secrets of the spherical earth cabal.

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Flight Level
March 3, 2021 8:39 am

I could never see the curvature of the Earth when looking through an airliner window, but I easily saw the curvature when looking across the Strait of Juan De Fuca at Victoria, BC.

Editor
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 3, 2021 10:38 am

I’ve taken a straightedge (just a piece of paper) and held it on an airplane window and compared that edge to the horizon. The horizon was clearly curved.

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Ric Werme
March 8, 2021 10:17 am

The horizon is a circle surrounding the viewer. A straight edge viewed against the horizon forms a chord within the circle of the horizon. That in itself does not prove you are flying above a sphere, as flying above a disc world and holding a straight edge up to your view of the edge of the disc would look the same. (If you are near an edge, and mountains in the interior limit the view away from the edge.)
But, the fact that the circular horizon
appears equidistant in all directions at all times, and that distance increases with height, does prove you are flying above a sphere. (Further proof is that no one ever arrives at an edge, even when flying around the world.)

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 8, 2021 10:36 am

I should add that when I flew, mountains and/or clouds always limited the view of the horizon.

TonyG
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 3, 2021 10:52 am

Last time I visited a beach, I stood on a pier and looked out over the ocean – it looked to me like the curvature was visible simply from the “flat” horizon of the ocean.

Graemethecat
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 4, 2021 2:04 am

I’ve noticed while swimming in a lake or in the sea that a yacht only 200m or more away from me was actually below the horizon.

Richard M
March 3, 2021 5:35 am

This should appeal to climate scientists everywhere. After all, the entire field is based on a flat earth with 24 hour sunlight.

yirgach
March 3, 2021 5:43 am

Here is the Fra Mauro map from c.1450 compared to a modern satellite image.
Amazingly accurate given the methods available at that time.

comment image

Reply to  yirgach
March 3, 2021 6:01 am

There you go! Now everyone can see how the sea has embiggerated!

Michael P Graebner
Reply to  paranoid goy
March 3, 2021 9:49 am

I had to look that one up.

Reply to  yirgach
March 3, 2021 6:57 am

comment image

And there was Piri Reis 😀

Sara
Reply to  Krishna Gans
March 3, 2021 10:39 am

What? No turtles at each corner, holding up the continents?

JCM
March 3, 2021 6:21 am

The author of this opinion piece shows a great deal of ignorance on the subject of map use and analysis, geographic map projections and mathematical transformation, geodesy and geomatics. Such pieces are an embarrassment to this site unless i’m missing the joke. If this is the level of ignorance on climate discussions i’m outta here!

JCM
Reply to  Kip
March 3, 2021 7:46 am

fair enough my bad

March 3, 2021 6:44 am

comment image

And there is the size corrected Gall-Peters ürpjection

Reply to  Krishna Gans
March 3, 2021 10:37 am

ürpjection = projection, sorry

UNGN
Reply to  Krishna Gans
March 3, 2021 5:01 pm

ürpjection sounds like when you throw-up a little in your mouth.

Gary Ashe
March 3, 2021 6:50 am

Flat earth maps to go with their flat earth average solar intensity physic’s of the RGHE 24 hour half strength sunshine.
Sounds about right.
Solar radiative flux is joules per meter per second 24/7 over half the atmospheric window so is only divided by 2 to get the correct solar intensity per square meter at the surface less reflection.
Emissions leave via the whole atmospheric window 24/7 so total emissions from that window are correctly divided by 4 to get the average emission per square meter of the whole surface at any given second.

Absorption and emission are real time phenomenon and averages are a nonsense.
No mathemagics of some back of an envelope RGHE needed.

March 3, 2021 6:51 am

The True Size of:…..

Interactive Worldmap

philincalifornia
March 3, 2021 7:46 am

In my undergrad days, we had a Flat Earth Society. It even had a football team. This learned Society’s main purpose appeared to be to meet on boring Tuesday evenings and drink home-brew and bullsh!t away. It did have a competitor though – The Society for the Abolition of Tuesday Evenings.

Bob Hoye
March 3, 2021 7:49 am

I have a lengthy experience on the subject of “Flat Earthers”.
Inspired by 1957 being declared as “International Geophysical Year”, I completed a BSc. in geology and geophysics at UBC in 1962. I still have my copy of “GO Fizzickle Pogo” by Walt Kelly. Published in1958.
Back then there was a story going around the physics building that if one wrote a nonsensical paper that seemed convincing you would be invited to join the Flat Earth Society.
Objectives included encouraging the UN General Assembly to debate that a fence should be built along the edge to keep people and other critters from falling off.
After all the UN had debated sillier things.
I was not clever enough for this and missed the opportunity of a lifetime.
After all, the motto was;
‘We are on the level”

Jim G
Reply to  Bob Hoye
March 5, 2021 9:50 am

I’m not sure if the inspired were a flat-earther or not, but someone had great success with the dihydrogen monoxide should be banned campaign!

City Officials Fall for Internet Hoax – Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

saveenergy
March 3, 2021 8:17 am

This is a meeting of ‘The Flat Earth Soc’ in NY (Members come from all around the world to attend),
see the map on the wall …
comment image

Reply to  saveenergy
March 3, 2021 9:12 am

Members come from all around the world to attend.

For these people it’s time to create / use a new word: Members from all aflat the world 😀
It’s better to be accurate 😀

Steve Reddish
Reply to  saveenergy
March 3, 2021 9:12 am

Looking at that map on the wall makes me wonder why airline flights from Brazil to Australia don’t pass over the Arctic Ocean.
Or, do they? I’ve never taken that flight.
Maybe pilots take the long way around to preserve the lie of a spherical Earth.

Last edited 2 months ago by Steve Reddish
Reply to  Steve Reddish
March 3, 2021 9:32 am

Maybe pilots take the long way around to preserve the lie of a spherical Earth.

Only when flying to a meeting of Flat Earth Soc. 😀

Sara
Reply to  saveenergy
March 3, 2021 10:45 am

Excuse me for asking, but isn’t that a Cylon Empire crest? Sure looks like one to me.

TonyG
March 3, 2021 8:34 am

As Roy Neary said in Close Encounters, “Next time, try sculpture”

March 3, 2021 8:49 am

On world maps as we know them, the countries of the earth are shown distorted because their scale puts Europe in the center. Some countries then appear much larger or smaller in comparison than they actually are. This distortion can be indicated by the “Goldberg-Gott value” and has so far amounted to 4.5 in the best case, but now a new map is to come to the value of 0.8! What makes this world map so special and how the size ratio of the states to each other really is.
[…]
The map was developed by the astrophysicist Richard Gott, the mathematician Robert Vanderbei and the physicist David Goldberg. To do this, they “sliced” a globe, so to speak, and developed two circular maps, each showing the northern and southern hemispheres and bordered by the equator. “You simply flatten the Earth,” explains Richard Gott in an article in the scientific magazine Scientific American.

U.S. researchers develop the most accurate world map of all time

These flat discs, is that all they provide ? No countries, frontiers, some capitals as white points ? I can’t find any advatage using these maps, better, I see absolutely no reason to have a further look at 😀

March 3, 2021 8:55 am

comment image

This Map of the World Just Won Japan’s Prestigious Design Award
The 2016 Good Design Award results were announced recently with awards going to over 1000 entries in several different categories. But the coveted Grand Award of Japan’s most well-known design award, given to just 1 entry, was announced today. Last year the winner was a personal mobility chair and the year before that it was a robotic arm. This year, the grand prize went to a world map.

About AuthaGraph World Map
A work-around about

Last edited 2 months ago by Krishna Gans
gringojay
March 3, 2021 9:28 am

And just like that, Australia is no longer ” the land down under” – according to the original post’s new map reprinted.

Mike Lomsky
March 3, 2021 9:32 am

I want that mug, seriously, I would buy that now.

March 3, 2021 10:28 am

I prefer the DYMAXION MAP !!!

S.K.
March 3, 2021 10:32 am

Joseph Postma probably isn’t buying into the flat earth theory anytime soon.

Editor
March 3, 2021 10:49 am

Sigh. This map doesn’t deserve all the attention it has gotten.

OTOH, one of the three people cited in

Of course, the best reference for the new projection is the original draft of the study “Flat Maps that Improve on the Winkel Tripel” by Richard Gott, David M. Goldberg and Robert J. Vanderbei. (on arxiv.org, .pdf available) There are “lots of pictures” even if you don’t read much of the text.

has a far more interesting web site than the clueless NY Time article.

Check out https://vanderbei.princeton.edu/ instead of this article. He has some amazing looks at stable “N-body” orbits, maps, Questar photography from New Jersey, and a rather nifty derivation of the Earth’s diameter from a photo of the sun setting on Lake Michigan.

Reply to  Ric Werme
March 3, 2021 11:42 am

Lake Michigan prove is a fine thing and well done !
But to convince a flat-earther that earth is a sphere is certainly as difficult as to convince a “Climate Scientist” that CO2 isn’t relevant for climate.change 😀

Editor
Reply to  Krishna Gans
March 4, 2021 12:18 am

CO2 is relevant, it just appears to be overstated by 2X-3X.

Peter
March 3, 2021 11:57 am

Come on people…this debate has to end….it’s not flat and it’s not round…the Earth is a cube….end of story.

Walter Sobchak
March 3, 2021 12:55 pm

I have always loved Buckminster Fuller’s Dymaxion map which is a projection of a world map onto the surface of an icosahedron. It can be unfolded and flattened to two dimensions, in various ways.

Reply to  Walter Sobchak
March 3, 2021 4:40 pm

And Bucky Fuller created the Dymaxion Map in 1943 and was issued a patent on it in 1946!

Duncan MacKenzie
March 3, 2021 1:51 pm
Gunga Din
March 3, 2021 2:40 pm

About 4 decades ago I drove a stick shift for the first time.
I came to a stop sign at the top of a steep hill.
I wished the Earth really was flat!

saveenergy
March 3, 2021 3:38 pm

How about the Ferguson Square and Stationary Map …Reminds me of a roulette table.
comment image&f=1&nofb=1

Jon R
March 3, 2021 4:45 pm

Well technically according to some physics professors we are a projected shadow on a two dimensional plane. Let’s see that map.

John in Oz
March 3, 2021 4:52 pm

The flat Earth map still shows Greenland to be as large as Australia (my home).

I prefer https://thetruesize.com/ where you can drag any country to another to see the real relative size. This shows Greenland to be about 1/3 the size of Oz.

Let’s hope holograms can be improved and ubiquitous soon so that the gadget-obsessed can get perspective.

TonyG
Reply to  John in Oz
March 3, 2021 4:58 pm

I have this crazy idea of printing a map of the earth on a ball. Think it will sell?

Nicholas McGinley
March 3, 2021 5:55 pm

I was gonna suggest a globe, ten sentences in to your article Kip, and prior to reading any other comments.
I have a bunch of them.
One of my favorites is a magnetic levitating dealio, but it is small.
I want to buy one of those huge ones like 3 feet in diameter, but OMG have you ever seen what they cost?
I have considered making one and including the ocean floor on it.
But it would be very complex to do.
I also have in mind a scale model outside, of the Earth and Sun and Moon, in a sort of sculpture that would also be a sundial.
But yeah sure I will ever get around to that!

Nicholas McGinley
March 3, 2021 6:02 pm

And BTW…those different projections matter to more people than cartographers.
Pilots, and sailors…people who need to travel around the Earth and want to head in the correct direction…matters to them too.
When I took physical geography in college, the subject of map projections of course was a big topic.
Back then there was one called Lambert Equal Area.
It was sold as a substitute for the ones they had on the wall when I was in grade school, where everything towards the poles was hugely enlarged in size.
Alaska was half as big as the rest of the US on those ones.
And Greenland was as big as South America, or close to it.

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
March 3, 2021 6:04 pm

That last one was called the Mercator Projection, and was the standard flat map for centuries, because it preserved directionality:
The Mercator projection is a cylindrical map projection presented by Flemish geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator in 1569. It became the standard map projection for navigation because it is unique in representing north as up and south as down everywhere while preserving local directions and shapes. The map is thereby conformal. As a side effect, the Mercator projection inflates the size of objects away from the equator. This inflation is very small near the equator but accelerates with increasing latitude to become infinite at the poles. So, for example, landmasses such as Greenland and Antarctica appear far larger than they actually are relative to landmasses near the equator, such as Central Africa.”

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
March 4, 2021 8:41 am

Mercator projection:

OIP (1).jpg
March 3, 2021 9:22 pm

Guess no one told them that Gerard Valck actually produced the same thing in 1672 🙂
Just fold the image down the middle and trim.

1672Map.png
Last edited 2 months ago by StuM
eyesonu
March 4, 2021 4:15 am

If the Earth was round and not flat wouldn’t all the water run off the bottom?

Roger Taguchi
March 4, 2021 6:52 am

As an exercise in critical thinking, please watch the 25 minute 1990 documentary “In Search of the Edge” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trrgPOJCPe8 . George Vanderkuur, interviewed in the film, was a teacher in Toronto, Canada, and worked for the Ontario Science Centre.

March 4, 2021 11:37 pm

Most projections are ugly due to the London problem. I have a solution: