BBC End of Snow: “How climate change threatens to close ski resorts”

Essay by Eric Worrall

Will they ever tire of being wrong?

How climate change threatens to close ski resorts

By Isabelle Gerretsen 25th January 2023

From the Swiss Alps to the Rocky Mountains, ski resorts are grappling with the impacts of climate change. How are they adapting in a warming world?

The Alps experienced record high temperatures over Christmas and New Year, reaching 20.9C (70F) in northwest Switzerland.

“It was exceptionally warm over Christmas and New Year,” says Stephanie Dijkman, director of Anzère tourism. “Nearly all the snow in the village was gone. I was quite worried.” People were unable to ski down to the village, she adds.

Fortunately, it started snowing again in early January, just in time for the arrival of the “real skiing fans” who book their trips outside of the holiday season and are hoping for “very good conditions”, she says.

When temperatures rise, the atmosphere ends up holding more water vapour which leads to more rainfall, says Marie Cavitte, a glaciologist and climate researcher at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium. “[When] temperatures increase, [water vapour] falls as rain instead of falling as snow,” she adds. “That is what is happening at low altitude ski stations, which are below 1,600m (5,250ft). There we are seeing a lot more rain on snow events which increase the melting of existing snow.”

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230124-how-climate-change-threatens-to-close-ski-resorts

Back in 2021, the BBC told us global warming was making winter colder;

Climate change: Arctic warming linked to colder winters

Published2 September 2021
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent

A new study shows that increases in extreme winter weather in parts of the US are linked to accelerated warming of the Arctic.

The scientists found that heating in the region ultimately disturbed the circular pattern of winds known as the polar vortex.

This allowed colder winter weather to flow down to the US, notably in the Texas cold wave in February.

The authors say that warming will see more cold winters in some locations.

Over the past four decades, satellite records have shown how increasing global temperatures have had a profound effect on the Arctic.

“We’re arguing that melting sea ice across Northwest Eurasia, coupled with increased snowfall across Siberia is leading to a strengthening of the temperature difference from west to east across the Eurasian continent,” explained lead author Dr Judah Cohen, who’s a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and a director of Atmospheric and Environmental Research, a weather risk management company.

“We know when that temperature difference increases, that leads to more disruptions of the polar vortex. And when it’s weakened, that leads to more extreme winter weather such as the Texas cold wave last February.”

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58425526

Don’t forget folks, the science is settled.

4.9 39 votes
Walter
January 25, 2023 10:16 pm

Climate change causes everything. It is the unfalsifiable hypothesis that you dare not dispute or else you’ll be called a denier, lose your job, lose your friends, etc.

One tip for you Eric: while BBC and other media claims that there is more increasingly more rain falling than snow at these elevation specific sites, pull up the data for these locations. I’d like to see them argue their way around it. I mostly suspect that it wouldn’t show any trend.

oebele bruinsma
Reply to  Walter
January 26, 2023 12:21 am

“Climate change causes everything”, indeed: https://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

Bryan A
Reply to  oebele bruinsma
January 26, 2023 7:58 am

Weather does too…sounds a lot like weather to me

RickWill
Reply to  Walter
January 26, 2023 4:19 am

Snowfall and maximum extent in the NH are both trending up. It is what is to be expected as the northern hemisphere warms up over the next 10,000 years. So far just 1000 years into this long term trend and the temperature rise has only just begun. Before it ends, the sea level will be 40m lower and ice will cover a good portion of the land north of 40N.
comment image

The vast majority of people associated snow with cold weather but snow represents heat transfer from oceans to exiting over land and therefore warming the land by reducing the emitting temperature. Snow forming is energy intensive. Heat goes into the oceans over summer and then comes out over winter in the form of latent heat of evaporation. Eventually the land will begin to store ice again and it will hang around for 75k to 100k years. All part of Earth’s real climate change.

Richard Greene
Reply to  RickWill
January 26, 2023 5:19 am

Total BS
If you combine the Fall, Winter and Spring Rutgers Snow Lab data, the result is a declining N.H. trend since 1967, NOT AN INCREASING TREND.

The use of one chart of the three is deliberate data mining.

Most snowfall is in the winter chart, not in the fall and spring charts

At the links below are two chart srefuting your false claim:

cdr-vs-edr800.png (800×525) (rutgers.edu)

rutgers-sce-anom-2021.jpg (3900×3190)

I don’t care how many downvotes my comment gets.
I will no longer tolerate climate science deceptions from conservatives in 2023. We must be accurate — not like the always deceptive leftists who are winning the climate propaganda war.

Daily list of the best climate science and energy articles I read today, which of course includes this article:

Honest Climate Science and Energy

Last edited 12 days ago by Richard Greene
Sunsettommy
Editor
Reply to  Richard Greene
January 26, 2023 12:03 pm

You are presenting a misleading picture because the Fall and Winter snowfall is trending up over recent decades it is the Spring snowfall that has declined significantly that is dragging down the yearly total.

Here in the link you can see that elevated Spring snowfall levels drops right after the last of the big 1983-1985 La-Nina time ever since then it has been lowering to a new lower level an after effect of the Global Cooling that ended in the early 1980’s thus springs became too warm to support spring snowfalls since then.

Matt Kiro
Reply to  Sunsettommy
January 26, 2023 6:13 pm

And if you follow RickWills posts on this site , that would agree with his data. The Southern hemisphere is cooling, and there fore snow fall totals there are falling during the NH spring, or SH fall.

Devils Tower
January 25, 2023 10:18 pm

Stick of Truth in Tetons

Watch for your self… 250 inch so far this year

Scissor
Reply to  Devils Tower
January 26, 2023 5:18 am

Good snow in Colorado though the temperatures are cooler than typical. It’s too cold today, so I’m waiting for a little warmup before I go back up.

Mark Whitney
Reply to  Devils Tower
January 26, 2023 5:20 am

They are saying it is the best ski year in Utah history. Alta resort has had 454 inches so far with 141″ at the base.

Last edited 12 days ago by Mark Whitney
Rick C
Reply to  Mark Whitney
January 26, 2023 7:50 am

This just in: “Climate Change™ increases avalanche risk in Utah.” 😉

slowroll
Reply to  Mark Whitney
January 26, 2023 10:25 am

Sigh…. I miss going to Alta. I used to have a house in Sandy, Utah. The downside of retirement is not being able to afford 2 houses. About the only one, I’ll admit.

Ben Vorlich
January 25, 2023 10:21 pm

“Reading the BBC, it seems climate change causes some winters to be warm and rainy, some winters to be cold and snowy, and some winters to have warm and cold spells?”

Completely different from the past then when we had winters whi h were cold and snowy, some winters warm and rainy , and some winters which were had warm and cold spells

Elliot W
Reply to  Ben Vorlich
January 25, 2023 11:08 pm

The New Winters have scarier names for events than before. “Atmospheric rivers”(new) versus “Pineapple Express” (old). We have the Bomb Cyclone, Polar Vortex, Ocean Effect Snow. Terminology I never hear anymore is Arctic Outbreaks, Blizzards, and Monsoons.

My elderly neighbor told me climate change must be dire because she never heard of a Polar Vortex in her younger years and now they were common!

Leo Smith
Reply to  Elliot W
January 25, 2023 11:48 pm

Don’t forget the Beast From The East and Weather Bombs. Not to mention Spanish Plumes, and that Wunderful Jerman Portmanto Word meaning ‘cold, foggy, windless, and none of our renewable energy kit is working’

Ron Long
Reply to  Leo Smith
January 26, 2023 1:55 am

Leo, here’s my favorite: from the indigenous people of northern Nevada “pogonip”, which is freezing fog, and the translation is “white death”.

nailheadtom
Reply to  Ron Long
January 26, 2023 5:32 am

In the Upper Midwest USA a cold snap is referred to as the “Alberta Clipper”.

Mr Ed
Reply to  nailheadtom
January 26, 2023 9:13 am

The “St Patrick’s Day Blizzard” of ’65 was a Clipper event I
remember well. I remember opening the front door of our house
and it was a solid wall of snow.

So far not great skiing/sledding here in W central MT
but about to get better this weekend I hope..

John Hultquist
Reply to  nailheadtom
January 26, 2023 9:22 am

A “Clipper” is on the move:
The temperatures along the U.S. border (Montana/North Dakota) and Alberta & Saskatchewan will be far below freezing starting this weekend and continuing into February.

Tom Johnson
Reply to  Ron Long
January 26, 2023 6:08 am

I remember Pogonips from a series of cold winters in Northern Minnesota in the ’60s.

186no
Reply to  Ben Vorlich
January 26, 2023 2:49 am

I.e. “weather”….

stinkerp
January 25, 2023 10:22 pm

Excellent timing, BBC. The ski resorts in the Cascade, Sierra Nevada, and Rocky Mountains are having a terrific snow year thanks to the cyclical ENSO. Maybe if you’d posted your screed last winter we might have been more concerned. Probably not. Heh. Well, anyway, you people are a bunch of misery guts that don’t know a good thing when you see it. Enjoy your collective grief while I hit the slopes and have some fun!

Phil.
Reply to  stinkerp
January 27, 2023 10:13 am

The Cascades have seen the demise of one of their glaciers in recent years (the Hinman).
c245b44da0e2c4aa70950d6264eeeb31.png

John V. Wright
January 25, 2023 11:02 pm

Not just wrong, Eric, but deliberately misleading. This is the BBC, remember – a stain on global journalism.

Dr. Jimmy Vigo
January 25, 2023 11:03 pm

I’m a PhD Environmental Science & Engineering, MS/BS Chemist. I’m not a climatologist, but I want to mention that chemically I don’t see CO2 causing the catastrophes, extinction and destruction that they profess; the experimental thermodynamics and quantum processes are missing; much rigorous science proving the issue cannot be found in literature. I’ve citations of works from climatologists who rather explain weather patterns mentioning effects like La Niña and El Niño, which actually appear to have much influence on the atmosphere. Did this lady mention these atmospheric effects? Any fair comparison between the influence of her vortex process versus La Niña and El Niño? I’ve seen this vortex “explanation before”, but for a PhD individual like her, the mere mentioning of the hypothesis of how “heat causes cold” does not prove cause and effect; does she have data, formulas, calculations and statistics to prove her point? Did she publish any sort of study deeper than a simple explanation based of eye observations? If anyone knows where her data is, please share the reference/citation. Otherwise, is just another plain idea without evidence; unfortunately, I’ve seen a growing number of individuals who claim having a PhD defending climate change and CO2 with very vague proof of research, many with failures to be comprehensive, having claims that don’t seem coming from an actual professional work; incomplete, superficial; mere words. When I was in school, all of us needed to do long, tedious and expensive experiments in labs, years to collect data, use formulas, calculations, statistics to prove our dissertation projects beyond doubt. I don’t see this process with this “climate change scientists”; what a shame!

Last edited 12 days ago by Dr. Jimmy Vigo
Leo Smith
Reply to  Dr. Jimmy Vigo
January 25, 2023 11:54 pm

Of course not. Put than PhD away. Not wanted here. Here we start with what we want to achieve – world wide communist government staffed by good Guardian reading over educated but under intelligent middle class people like us, and look for or invent evidence to support the thesis that allows us to achieve it.

My great grandparents were working class, you know.

(And, honey, doesn’t it just show)

schmoozer
Reply to  Dr. Jimmy Vigo
January 26, 2023 12:04 am

PHD – Piled higher and deeper… enough said.

Richard Greene
Reply to  schmoozer
January 26, 2023 5:43 am

Give the good Dr. a break — he is obviously very smart, based on his comment.

Last edited 12 days ago by Richard Greene
Richard Greene
Reply to  Dr. Jimmy Vigo
January 26, 2023 5:40 am

“I’m a PhD Environmental Science & Engineering, MS/BS Chemist. I’m not a climatologist, but I want to mention that chemically I don’t see CO2 causing the catastrophes, extinction and destruction that they profess;”

I’m not a PhD either, nor are over 7 billion people who have lived with at least some of the harmless global warming from 1975 to 2015. All 40 years for me. No one has experienced CAGW, or any climate emergency, because the slight warming was good news, as was the additional CO2 in the air, for our C3 plants.

As a PhD. you are unable to think like a leftist, which requires the deletion of reason and accountability. I can think like a leftist, but only after I fall down and hit my head on the sidewalk, which I just did:

The climate emergency is COMING
It started COMING in 1979 with the Charney Report
It is still COMING
It will always be COMING

So why has no climate emergency arrived?
Simple, for “brainiacs” like myself: The climate emergency got lost in New Jersey, which I have done many times myself, when I used to live in New York.

But the climate emergency is still COMING
Hide your wife and children!
Build an ark, like I’m doing here in Michigan

Sorry but it’s impossible for me to take Climate Howlers seriously, and I know my jokes are lame, but I try. The green dreamers are members of a leftist secular “religious” cult. Independent thought is outlawed. Leftists ruin everything they touch. So they should never be allowed to touch electric grids — they are far too important. Nut Zero IS going to be a real climate emergency, when the blackouts begin.

Daily list of the best climate science and energy articles I read every day, including every article by Eric Worrall:

Honest Climate Science and Energy

Last edited 12 days ago by Richard Greene
Bryan A
Reply to  Richard Greene
January 26, 2023 9:16 am

So, the Climate emergency took the NJ turnpike and got lost in a Round About way

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Richard Greene
January 26, 2023 9:27 am

As a PhD. you are unable to think like a leftist”

Hmm, does not compute. Isn’t Man a PhD? Along with a lot of Hockey Team?

slowroll
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
January 26, 2023 10:32 am

Ah, but Mann and his ilk are PhDs in made-up fields. Like Calathumpian gender studies.

Dave Andrews
Reply to  slowroll
January 27, 2023 8:39 am

Darn! Has somebody already done Calathumpian gender studies ? That was going to be my big breakthrough – sigh.

slowroll
Reply to  Dr. Jimmy Vigo
January 26, 2023 10:28 am

Well said.

strativarius
January 25, 2023 11:55 pm

They change their minds rather like the weather….

vuk
January 26, 2023 12:41 am

Currently I’m climite change refugee to Mediterranean coast, few miles away in the mountains there are two meters of fresh snow.

strativarius
Reply to  vuk
January 26, 2023 12:49 am

The Grauniad will describe you as a Carbon pirate!

Scissor
Reply to  vuk
January 26, 2023 5:09 am

Boiling oceans will do that.

0311
Reply to  Scissor
January 26, 2023 7:02 am

: ^ D

Peta of Newark
January 26, 2023 1:43 am

They have just got to keep the narrative going haven’t they..

At which point does it that dawn on The General Population that they’re ‘protesting their innocence a little too strongly’?

IOW: That they’re lying and it’s all junk

Methinks that point will/may come when The Grid Crashes – when the lights go out (accidentally or deliberately) BUT, when it takes days or a whole week to get them back on again
Like happened in Pakistan this last week

edit to PS
and what that guy raved on about ‘polar vortex’, Texas and temperature differences was bizzare – even Brandon could come out with greater coherence.
Vitamin B12 and Magnesium allied to less booze & sugar would certainly help

Last edited 12 days ago by Peta of Newark
Coeur de Lion
January 26, 2023 1:49 am

I’m suffering ad hominem attacks in our professional quarterly by an idiot accusing me of cherry-picking etc etc and saying that European ski resorts are ruined for lack of snow. Just checked in to SKI SUNDAY on the BBC to see the downhills at Kitzbhuel (Ah, the Kitz of my youth!) where it was snowing heavily and the slopes, trees, mountains were white white white. But that’s weather not climate.

strativarius
Reply to  Coeur de Lion
January 26, 2023 2:55 am

You could tell he/she/it to put up or shut up…

Hivemind
Reply to  strativarius
January 26, 2023 4:51 am

Or, better, just STFU.

strativarius
Reply to  Hivemind
January 26, 2023 6:07 am

No point in sinking to their level, right?

Scissor
Reply to  Coeur de Lion
January 26, 2023 5:14 am

A little foggy at the moment. https://www.kitzbuehel.com/en/webcam/

Coeur de Lion
Reply to  Scissor
January 26, 2023 11:09 am

Magic. I was never brave enough to do the Hahankamm. Plenty snow!

Eric Vieira
January 26, 2023 2:47 am

If they keep on pouring out this BS .. then a growing number of people just won’t believe them anymore, and they’ll end up like CNN or MSNBC with financial problems going toward bankruptcy. Then could come a similar title: “BBC End of Show”

CD in Wisconsin
Reply to  Eric Vieira
January 26, 2023 4:32 am

****************

If CNN and MSNBC were to go bankrupt, it would be a day to celebrate. If the two are indeed having financial problems and are headed for bankruptcy, that is good news.

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving pair of networks. Would feel sorry though for all the employees who would lose their jobs.

strativarius
Reply to  CD in Wisconsin
January 26, 2023 6:28 am

Ironically, I bet a Trump presidency would make their fortunes.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  strativarius
January 27, 2023 3:30 am

At the present, Trump is leading all potential Republican presidential candidates by a substantial margin, according to the most recent polls.

0311
Reply to  CD in Wisconsin
January 26, 2023 7:11 am

Would feel sorry though for all the employees who would lose their jobs.”

You’re too kind. They made their beds……

JamesB_684
Reply to  Eric Vieira
January 26, 2023 6:09 am

Critical Thinking is deemed racist patriarchy in schools for at least two generations. The hoi polloi are too busy with with TikTok, Instagram and staydum sports to notice that the MSM is spewing pure propaganda.

186no
January 26, 2023 2:52 am

Folks I know just got back from a week in western Austria 1300 – 2800m – skied in waist high powder…with alpine snowfall 3 days running…..not much rain….

AGW is Not Science
January 26, 2023 3:55 am

When we’re not seeing as much snow, that’s because climate change will render it but a fond memory.

When we’re getting buried in snow, heavier snowfalls are “consistent with global warming.”

WHEN THE SUPPOSED RESULTS OF “CLIMATE CHANGE” IS WHATEVER IS HAPPENING OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOWS AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT, INCLUDING THINGS DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED TO ONE ANOTHER, YOU KNOW IT’S BULLSHIT.

John the Econ
January 26, 2023 7:50 am

I’m going skiing today. I’d be going tomorrow, but there’s a big storm coming that will drop a foot or more snow and render the local resorts inaccessible.

John Hultquist
Reply to  John the Econ
January 26, 2023 9:28 am

General location please.
I’m betting you are not in Florida.

ResourceGuy
Reply to  ResourceGuy
January 28, 2023 7:58 am

Where is Griff to declare it a dry snow?

johnesm
January 26, 2023 9:27 am

I thought global warming was a thing. Colorado Springs will probably be negative 15 Fahrenheit again….

Screenshot_20230126_100915_Chrome.jpg
ResourceGuy
January 26, 2023 11:03 am

When do the first ChatGPT product results come out for new bridges, new aircraft, and new grids?

Ireneusz Palmowski
January 26, 2023 11:03 am

Another strong wave in the upper stratosphere and a spike in temperature.

Edward Katz
January 26, 2023 5:56 pm

I’m waiting for the day that the BBC, CBC, the Guardian, CNN, etc. come clean and admit that their climate speculation and alarmism is based on their not knowing with any degree of certitude what climate trends really are. Except they can’t do this because they’ll lose their funding from leftist governments and environmental organizations.

Tombstone Gabby
January 26, 2023 8:27 pm

“Don’t forget folks, the science is settled.”

Love it…

Dena
January 26, 2023 8:46 pm

Pretty bad year here in Arizona at the Snow Bowl. As of this post 189 inches for the season total and 96 inch base. I think that may mean you need a high vehicle with chains if you want to go there. I guess my lowered mustang needs to stay in the valley.

Tom Abbott
January 27, 2023 3:37 am

The jet stream configuration has changed.

Instead of the jet stream blowing straight from Hawaii to the U.S. West Coast bringing all the rain to the West Coast, now the jet stream has looped north into Alaska and is looping down into the central U.S. bringing with it colder Canadian and arctic air.

This looks like the location (marked) of the coldest air in the artic at the present:

Last edited 11 days ago by Tom Abbott
gezza1298
January 27, 2023 7:01 am

They could go to Mallorca where they had plenty of snow a few days ago. Beach holiday and skiing combined.

Renee
January 28, 2023 9:05 am

It was certainly snowy in Alaska this winter. https://akclimate.org/anchorage-snowiest-december-in-over-60-years/

Hatter Eggburn
January 28, 2023 3:14 pm

Ski resorts in China have no trouble with snow this year. Oh noes! did I mention the yellow peril?

scvblwxq
January 29, 2023 1:03 pm

The output of the Sun reaching the Earth is known as solar insolation and has been at its highest in the last 50 years over the last 500 years. More sunlight means more warming over the last 50 years.
‘Total Solar Irradiance during the Last Five Centuries’, Valentina Penza lead author, The Astrophysical Journal 937:84, 2022 October 1

Verified by MonsterInsights