Sea Level Rise Dooms Obama’s New Martha’s Vineyard Mansion

Guest “I couldn’t make this sort of schist up if I was trying” by David Middleton

This is sort of a follow up to Eric’s post on the Obama’s new beachfront mansion…

Climate Change Could Leave Obama’s Possible New Mansion Underwater, According To Researchers Funded By Obama Admin

PETER HASSON
SENIOR REPORTER
August 26, 2019

Former President Barack Obama’s possible new mansion on Martha’s Vineyard could be totally underwater by the year 2100, according to a climate change model relying on government data.

The Obamas are reportedly in the process of buying the island property, which was originally listed at listed at $14,850,000, from Boston Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck. Though the deal has yet to be finalized, both TMZ and the Boston Herald have reported that the Obamas are in escrow.

Climate Central, a research group funded by the government during the Obama administration, projects the Obamas’ possible new mansion to be well underwater in its “Extreme Scenario 2100” model.

[…]

Climate Central’s model is based off of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) “extreme rise” scenario, which Climate Central described as “unlikely but increasingly plausible” in an April 2017 report.

[…]

Daily Caller

The soon-to-be submerged mansion is in the red oval…

(Screenshot/Google Earth with Climate Central model using NOAA data)
“Obama’s possible new Martha’s Vineyard mansion could be underwater by 2100 (Screenshot/Google Earth/Digital Globe using Climate Central data)”

Addendum

Approximate location of Obama mansion.
0 0 votes
John Tillman
August 28, 2019 10:06 am

Pedant alert!

Typo: “they Obama’s” for “the Obamas'”.

WallyW
August 28, 2019 6:49 pm

It seems from the map that the Obama’s will be living on TURKEYLAND Court. How appropriate.

Reply to  WallyW
August 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Don’t be silly,

Obama knows that sea level rise has been cancelled because of Donald Trump’s executive order repeal to that end!

Its a bit like gods or giants having minor squabbles. 😉

By the way, where did Obama get cash like that? That guy Nadler is looking at the wrong guy. Why doesn’t he subpoena Obama’s income records for the last 20 years?

Robertvd
Reply to  WallyW
August 29, 2019 4:16 am

As long as they can afford the property tax and the coming wealth tax (next democratic president) .
If not they will be underwater financially and with the next economic crisis they won’t find a buyer for the property.

Johann Wundersamer
August 29, 2019 12:24 am
Mark Broderick
August 28, 2019 10:06 am

David Middleton

“This is sort of a follow up to Eric’s post on they the Obama’s new beachfront mansion…”

Great post, as always….

HotScot
August 28, 2019 1:03 pm

David Middleton

You had one job………..

🙂

August 28, 2019 10:09 am

Alarmists defending the blatant hypocrisy say the mansion is 300 feet above sea level. Is it?

Kamikazedave
August 28, 2019 11:08 am

If Hussein’s mansion is right on the coast, then no way it is anywhere near 300 ft elevation. The highest point on the island is 311 ft. As usual, the alarmists are full of it.

running spring
Reply to  Gary D.
August 29, 2019 8:07 am

The Obama’s new estate is precisely ten feet above sea level. I checked the exact location on a topo map.

The ‘addendum’ photo above shows the Obama’s location as somewhat northwest of its actual position; the mansion is actually closer to the shore, situated at base of the center tine of that three-pronged ‘fork’ pointing into Edgartown Great Pond.

Here’s the real estate listing: https://www.landvest.com/property/118347933/79-turkeyland-cove-road-edgartown-ma-02539/#

running spring
Reply to  running spring
August 29, 2019 8:09 am

Make that “…somewhat *northeast* of its actual position,” sorry about that.

Reply to  running spring
August 29, 2019 11:11 am

The ten foot contour line is about 75 meters past the house, in the opposite direction of the coast. Unless someone used fill dirt before the house was constructed, it cannot be above nine feet.

August 29, 2019 1:00 pm

I have a Remote Sensing degree, I used to make maps, I know where the house is, thank you.

August 29, 2019 4:45 pm

You clearly know nothing about how houses are built in those areas. You may want to do a bit of research on the subject.

Reply to  2hotel9
August 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Never claimed to be a high falutin east coast architect or engineer. If you had something of value to add, you had the opportunity.

August 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Ahh, you gonna cry now? Hahahahaha, wipe the sand out your mangina and grow some testicles, sweety.

Reply to  2hotel9
August 30, 2019 12:03 am

No crying and no mangina. You seem to be the party somehow oddly emotionally invested in a subject about which you have no expertise. Why so bitchy?

I would say your shorts are too tight, but I get the distinct impression that just isn’t possible with you.

Looks like you missed your second chance at adding anything worth reading.

August 31, 2019 6:35 am

Ahhh, wipe your tears away! The world is not ending no matter what lies you choose to accept.

Reply to  2hotel9
August 31, 2019 6:39 am

I must assume the “crying” is some form of psychological projection on your part. I have no reason to cry or even be slightly upset.

You, OTOH, have much to cry about.

1- You have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation.

2- You obviously have been raised by wolves.

3- Nobody wants to play with you.

4- You look like an idiot.

Meanwhile, I sit hear looking more intelligent with each of your posts, and I chuckle.

August 31, 2019 6:50 am

Does mommy know you are on her computer? You are gonna get a time out when she finds out.

Now, tell us again how the world is doomed and we are all gonna die in a fiery flood. That is always fun to laugh at.

Reply to  2hotel9
August 31, 2019 7:24 am

When did I ever say the world is doomed? LOL

You are out of your immature little mind.

September 1, 2019 7:15 am

Spin&twirl, babee, it is all you got. Let me help you out, the climate changes, constantly, humans are not causing it and can not stop it. And YES, sea levels change, constantly, and again humans are not causing it. Example? In the Bahamas and along Fla coasts the sea level is rising, dramatically. During the next 48-72 hours it will fall dramatically. Explain what humans did to cause this catastrophic sea level change. Feel free to get your crayons out and illustrate your Earth shaking conclusions!

Reply to  2hotel9
September 1, 2019 8:05 am

Again, you are out of your immature little mind.

I do not see any scientific evidence of man made global climate change. Climates change, naturally, all the time. Sea levels have been rising for thousands of years, and there is no acceleration.

My comments only pertained to the info found on topo maps, and the hypocrisy of Skeeter.

Understand?

September 2, 2019 7:19 am

Sure, buddy, sure. Funny thing, I go to Cape Cod at least once a year, and there I have stood on a stone pier built in the 1600s and it is not under water! And no, it has not been rebuilt or added to. That catastrophic sea level rise you keep yammering on about is a tricky devil, ain’t? Look up tidal erosion.

Reply to  2hotel9
September 2, 2019 7:35 am

You are off your rocker.

I have never in my life said anything about catastrophic sea level rise. Have your psychotherapist explain my comments to you.

September 2, 2019 7:43 am

You keep squealing and I keep jabbing, thanks for the morning’s entertainment! Now I am back to the outside to enjoy our glorious climate, a climate you can do nothing to about. Toodles!

Reply to  2hotel9
September 2, 2019 8:29 am

Why would I want to do anything about the climate?

And don’t thank me for your morning’s entertainment, thank the voices in your head.

Seek help.

September 3, 2019 6:17 am

You are far too entertaining to let go, I also enjoy the voices in your head that compel you to get writing. Talk about needing help, project much?

Reply to  2hotel9
September 3, 2019 6:48 am

Not one thing you have said about me, or my comments bears any semblance of reality. If you wish to continue to make a fool of yourself, I am more than happy to oblige. Do keep posting your childish delusions, if it makes you happy. And I’ll keep pointing out how rabidly crazy you really are.

September 3, 2019 7:08 am

One more good laugh for the morning and I outa here, homey! You’re just so precious it is hi-larious.

Reply to  2hotel9
September 3, 2019 8:04 am

Good thing for you that you find making a fool of yourself so very entertaining. Even better, I am enjoying it immensely as well.

And thanks for the compliment. I am precious.

September 4, 2019 6:25 am

That is the best you got, sweety? And where is that explanation about the drastic sea level rise, and drop, along the path of Dorian? You were going to regale us with the details of how humans caused that. Did you miss that segment on cnn?

September 4, 2019 7:08 am

Motel6, as I explained previously, you need to have your psychotherapist explain my comments to you. Simple concepts appear to be beyond your comprehension.

1- My comments have never endorsed alarmism

2- My comments simply relayed info found on topo maps

3- My comments showed the hypocrisy of Skeeter

4- My comments did not, and have never endorsed the idea of man made global climate change, and again, have certainly never endorsed any form of alarmism

5- My comments have always been anti-alarmist

6- I clearly stated my view in one of the many comments you failed to comprehend…

If you cannot grasp this, you are dangerously insane, and should be confined for the protection of yourself and others.

I have dealt with many insane people on the internet over the years, and you are now in about the top 10 percent of the craziest and dumbest ever.

To the moderator: It is just about time to pull the plug on this psycho. He has been attacking me for days, over things I have never said or intimated.

September 5, 2019 6:46 am

You are entirely too easy and entertaining. I am loving making you waste time and effort, just too funny.

Reply to  2hotel9
September 5, 2019 8:18 am

Motel6, you are a fascinating glimpse into extremely poor mental health. It is wonderful for you that you find being a crazed idiot so rewarding, and I am so very happy for you.

Not one of your posts has ever addressed anything that I have said. So I do have to wonder who it is you think you are addressing. I’m guessing it is the voices in your warped and empty head.

Please keep posting, and illustrating what a complete lunatic you really are. Keep digging.

September 6, 2019 6:40 am

My finger is getting sore from jabbing you in the eye, and you are too stupid to simply step back. What a maroon. Oh, and at this point I don’t even care what you believe, I am just enjoying how dense you are.

September 6, 2019 7:46 am

Your finger is sore from poking yourself in the eye. You have not even come close to touching me, because you have no idea what I have been saying, or what I believe. And this is amazing, because I have repeatedly and pointedly made this obvious to all but you.

Motel6, you need to seek immediate professional help.

Let’s try again.

1- I have never subscribed to any form of alarmism

2- I have never believed in man made climate change

3- I do not believe in catastrophic sea level rise

If you cannot grasp these simple facts, you need to be banned from further commenting. Drooling trolls have no business on this site.

Capiche?

PWGibbons
August 28, 2019 11:12 am

The highest point on Martha’s Vineyard is 311 feet. I doubt that is the mansion’s location.

Len Werner
August 28, 2019 11:15 am

It’s amazing that a claim of 300 feet asl can be made; it is perfect evidence of the laziness of a modern population that (they hope) no-one will even bother to check. Finding this took me maybe 15 seconds–

Drag the map around until you get to the right spot; the entire land area between Turkeyland Cove and Slough Cove is below the 20 foot contour; the property in question is all below the 10 foot contour.

I guess this is also an indicator of the truthfulness of alarmists. Where did the number of 300 feet come from?

Earthling2
Reply to  Len Werner
August 28, 2019 12:26 pm

The house is about 300 feet distance from the ocean so some Lemming said it was 300 feet ASL, and the rest of the Lemmings repeated what they heard about it being 300 ASL and that is how ‘truth’ is established and now most alarmists believe it and they would probably all jump off that 300′ cliff. Sounds like climate science.

Gunga Din
Reply to  Earthling2
August 28, 2019 2:13 pm

Hmmm … if they defend Obama by conflating 300′ from the ocean with 300′ above sea level, then why don’t they do the same with Tuvalu?
How many feet “above the sea” is the center of Tuvalu? 😎

Greg
Reply to  Earthling2
August 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Well 10ft is about 300cm. I guess were looking at the wrong scale !!

BTW

“unlikely but increasingly plausible” , that sounds rather like “alkaline but increasingly acidic”.

Jacques Dumon
Reply to  Earthling2
August 28, 2019 2:55 pm

My diving watch is guaranteed waterproof at 200 meters… from the shore

Mark H
Reply to  Len Werner
August 28, 2019 4:15 pm

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that they might have “homogenized” the land elevations with the surrounding areas (increasing the area used until they got the desired adjusted elevation).

This might be sarcasm, but these days I’m just not sure.

Patrick MJD
August 29, 2019 5:11 pm

In Australia they seem to have the same standards as climate scientists these days.

Alan the Brit
Reply to  Len Werner
August 28, 2019 11:25 pm

I keep saying it, but if the seas are rising drastically, why is the cost of sea-front property rising disproportionately? If they believed the crap it would all be worthless other than for scarp values!

Frank McLaughlin
Reply to  Alan the Brit
September 5, 2019 10:29 pm

Because of the Dunning-Kruger effect. People believe they know more than every PhD published meteorologist worldwide, every scientific organization, worldwide. People believe Fox News and choose to disagree with the National Academy of Science.

“Among the most cited is a 2013 study of nearly 12,000 abstracts of peer-reviewed papers on climate science published since 1990, of which just over 4,000 papers expressed an opinion on the cause of recent global warming. Of these, 97% agree, explicitly or implicitly, that global warming is happening and is human-caused.”

“Those who are incompetent, for lack of a better term, should have little insight into their incompetence—an assertion that has come to be known as the Dunning–Kruger effect. “The Dunning–Kruger effect “suggests that poor performers are not in a position to recognize the shortcomings in their performance”

Reply to  Frank McLaughlin
September 6, 2019 6:28 am

I believe reality, I am out here in the real world everyday. You believe politically motivated liars and live in fantasyland.

Reply to  Frank McLaughlin
September 6, 2019 7:53 am

Every PhD?

Every scientific organization?

97%?

Dunning-Kruger?

Me thinks thou dost project to much! LOL

Here is what studies show, over and over…

Are global warming skeptics simply ignorant about climate science?

Not so, says a forthcoming paper in the journal Advances in Political Psychology by Yale Professor Dan Kahan. He finds that skeptics score about the same (in fact slightly better) on climate science questions.

The study asked 2,000 respondents nine questions about where they thought scientists stand on climate science.

On average, skeptics got about 4.5 questions correct, whereas manmade warming believers got about 4 questions right.

One question, for instance, asked if scientists believe that warming would “increase the risk of skin cancer.” Skeptics were more likely than believers to know that is false.

Skeptics were also more likely to correctly say that if the North Pole icecap melted, global sea levels would not rise. One can test this with a glass of water and an ice cube – the water level will not change after the ice melts. Antarctic ice melting, however, would increase sea levels because much of it rests on land.

That’s right, skeptics are more knowledgeable than the faithful. The Dunning–Kruger effect is owned by you, and the rest of your ilk.

Hermit.Oldguy
Reply to  Len Werner
August 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Where did the height of 300 feet come from? Where do you think?

ferd berple
August 28, 2019 11:19 am

300 feet above sea level. Is it?
==========
nowhere near. fire-sale price is down from 22.5 million. previous owners were told it would soon be underwater. Or burn up. Or be eaten by a mutant star-goat.

comment image

Reply to  ferd berple
August 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Ha, ha, ha does it come with a UNICORN stable and riding track? Their defenders don’t think anyone will bother to challenge their propaganda.

brewsterous
August 28, 2019 11:29 am

Topo map shows maybe 12-15 feet

KenP
August 28, 2019 11:38 am

Maybe 5-10′. 1m according to this.

41.36068909, -70.54643154

TonyL
August 28, 2019 11:38 am

Data varies, real estate maps show 6 feet (2 meters), topographic maps show ~ 3 feet (1 meter). Look at any picture of the site. The area is flat, and just a tiny bit above the beach. Anybody can see that. 300 ft. is just nonsense. A quick check of a topo map seems to show the highest point on the island is the top of Indian Hill at 262 ft.

Simon
August 28, 2019 11:43 am

He will be 139 year old then. Yep I can see why he would be worried.

Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 12:23 pm

I will insert Bob Hunter’s reply from below for Simon’s benefit:

‘The Obamas won’t be around in 2100 and 50% chance their kids will be. However, you would think a climate alarmist would be worried about flooding with the increase in hurricane activity he has predicted. As well, you would think a climate alarmist would be concerned about his carbon emissions with the third house he now owns in addition to the mansion in Washington and his home in Chicago.’

simon
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 2:07 pm

‘The Obamas won’t be around in 2100 and 50% chance their kids will be. However, you would think a climate alarmist would be worried about flooding with the increase in hurricane activity he has predicted.”
Obama is a smart man. He would know that even with increased risk of storm surge etc the chances of an individual being affected are small. At 58 years old he can afford to take the risk for the benefit he will get of living in such a beautiful place. And after all that is his individual choice which is what so many here champion… when it suits them.

MarkW
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Funny thing, in the real world hurricane activity has been going down for decades.

But one of these years it will start going up. The models must be right, eventually.

MarkW
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 4:29 pm

How left wing of you. Interpreting ridicule as a desire to control.

Michael Jankowski
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 5:10 pm

As I pointed out to you before, your ilk has been claiming that climate change is causing and will cause stronger hurricanes. Even ignoring the ignorable rise in sea level that is normally freaked-out about, this intensity in storms is supposed to scare the bejesus out of anyone at this elevation near the coast because of the storm surge.

Whether or not he has a right to enjoy it with “individual choice” is not at issue. He’s a typical two-faced politician. “Obama is a smart man” only relative to the dummies he’s fooled.

sycomputing
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Obama is a smart man.

No doubt every much as smart as he is an hypocrite.

Yes but shouldn’t those 15 millions have rather gone to the inner city Chicago youth from whence his white privileged rise to the White House was originally commenced and later realized?

But that’s what you’d expect from dirty-filthy-rotten-nasty Individual Choice types. This doesn’t explain your own sanctimonious duplicity does it? 🙂

Gunga Din
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 6:19 pm

Simon is right. Obama is a smart man.
He also bought a magic tree ring from Mann to place around his house.
It’s more powerful than nature.

Michael H Anderson
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 6:21 pm

So you’re defending Obama’s “I won’t be here when it happens, so who cares” attitude? You’re defending the purchase of a $15 million home by a man who wrote climate alarmism into policy? You love plutocratic 1-percenters as long as they’re Green Fascist plutocrats?

Obama is a smart man all right; smart and utterly venal right down to his marrow, an execrable amateur social engineer who history will not remember kindly, and you’re a stupid pawn too lazy to even hit the shift key when typing your own name. Why are you even here? Is your time worth so little that you can afford to spend it pestering your moral and intellectual betters like a gnat flying around our ears? Piss off, you utter nullity!

Reply to  Michael H Anderson
August 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Michael, Michael, Michael, don’t you know that capitalization is a dog whistle for RACISM and “White Privilege” because only WHITES are educated and…oh, I can’t remember the rest of the list…..gnome say’n… /sarc>

How do double-digit IQ Leftists remember to BREATHE?

sIMON
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Michael H Anderson
So lovely chatting with someone who thinks writing your name with a capital, or not, is a measure of intellect. You obviously have lots to do with your day.
But I stand by my point. Obama is smart enough to know his years spent on this planet are becoming fewer and the fact he bought a lovely piece of land close to the ocean is his business and in no way means he doesn’t believe the sea is rising. Now if you want an example of hypocrisy Trump denies climate change, but is happy to use it to justify building a sea wall. Now that’s being two faced.

Reply to  sIMON
August 28, 2019 9:04 pm

I had a student pilot once who was a lot like you. He thought the throttle had only TWO positions: AFTERBURNER and IDLE. There is a whole world between those two positions. Seawalls existed long before CAGW Junk Science Alarmism and for the reason from which they derive their name, WALLS to protect against the SEA.

Joe Biden swears President Trump installed seawalls to protect his Florida golf course from RUSSIANS who might arrive by SUBMARINE and try to SNEAK ONTO THE COURSE for a FREE ROUND of GOLF!!!…no kidding, he said that today after telling everyone that he is an EXPERTon American foreign policy and that HE should have been at that G8 meeting…right after he forgot Barack Obama’s NAME!!…President “My Boss,” his best buddy he can’t remember.

“Biden Refers To G-7 As G-8 Before Saying, ‘If I Have Any Expertise, It’s In American Foreign Policy’”

Hum
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 7:15 pm

4th house, don’t forget about the Magnun PI Ronin’s Nest they bought in Hawaii.

August 28, 2019 12:31 pm

…and neither should we….ALL STOP ON CAGW ALARMISM WORLD SUICIDE ACTIVITIES!!!

Scissor
August 28, 2019 3:49 pm

He’ll be playing in the 6 feet under league well before that but will still vote Democrat as 99% of dead voters do.

Jtom
August 28, 2019 11:57 am

The highest point on the island is about 311 feet above sea level. For Obama’s mansion, subtract about 308 feet of that. (Whatsmyelevation lists the home at 3’ above sl.).

Editor
August 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Actually part of his property is beachfront, thus some of his property does get some tide action on it, his house is higher up on a small rise as you showed.

Obama property

Editor
Reply to  Sunsettommy
August 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Here is the actual beachfront.

Editor
August 28, 2019 1:24 pm

From the Beachfront looking up towards the house:

Editor
Reply to  Sunsettommy
August 28, 2019 1:25 pm

One more photo, there are many more in this LINK

Kv s
August 28, 2019 11:59 am

Google maps says 3 ft.

Viking swordsman
Reply to  Kv s
August 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Says 3-4 Meters or 10-13 feet on my Google Earth.
Looking at the map in this article, it certainly looks like Obamas mansion will go clear:

“According to the projection used for this set of maps, the level of the ocean around the Island could rise one and a half feet by 2050 and five feet by 2100”

Chaswarnertoo
August 28, 2019 11:37 pm

Unless the volcanoes under the unstable west Antartic ice shelf fire up. I’ll crack a rib laughing, that’s around 15 ft.

ATheoK
Reply to  Viking swordsman
August 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Hahahahahaha!

What a load of rubbish.

If those were facts, Obama’s land value should be plummeting

Roger Knights
Reply to  ATheoK
August 28, 2019 6:35 pm

“If those were facts, Obama’s land value should be plummeting”

Abt 2/3 upthread a commenter said that the offering price was $22 million a year or two ago, which implies a 33% drop. The Obamas’ realtor likely told them it was a bargain.

Viking swordsman
Reply to  ATheoK
August 30, 2019 3:56 pm

“What a load of rubbish.
If those were facts, Obama’s land value should be plummeting”

Those are the facts, whether we like them or not.

Latitude
August 28, 2019 12:26 pm

..it’s 3 ft…..the highest point on the whole island is 300

HotScot
Reply to  Latitude
August 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Latitude

Location :41.36422,-70.54322

If I have it right, between Turkeyland Cove Road and King Point Way.

3.0 m or 9.8 feet above sea level.

Latitude
Reply to  HotScot
August 28, 2019 5:32 pm

ah ha…that’s 3m! so he’s good for 1000 years or more….LOL

August 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I used four different elevation finding tools and the highest value for elevation at the house site was 3.3 feet. Others commented that they got the same result. On the opposite side of the house from the beach there is a rise in elevation, but not anywhere near where the house sits.

As we are constantly reminded by the alarmists, it’s not the gradual rise in sea levels that threaten us right now, it is the existential threat of a storm surge made worse by Bigfoot… errr I mean man made climate change.

If the Obamas were truly concerned about people moving away from the coast, they would donate that land to Massachusetts, to be used as a State Park.

August 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Maybe that’s why they got it for half the original asking price.

Editor
August 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Here is a great angle showing the waterfront then up a small rise to the house

Obama property

August 28, 2019 2:39 pm

That may be, but the tools still give the same elevation every time. I just tried it again, focusing directly on the location of the house, and this is what I got…

1.0 m or 3.3 feet
Location :41.36067,-70.54644

And again…

Last point clicked : 1.00 m / 3.28 feet

And again…

number,latitude,longitude,meters,feet,cumulative distance (m)
1,41.36066115486506,-70.54651016369462,1.000,3.281,0

Clearly this is not a high spot. There is a 10′ contour line about 70-80 meters on the other side of the beach from the house. The house cannot be more than 9′ unless someone built that area up with fill.

jtom
August 28, 2019 7:12 pm

For water-in-your-house purposes, how high is it relative to HIGH TIDE? I would assume any sl rise wrt low tide would raise high tide by about the same amount, unless there is some unusual topography.

I don’t see ‘my house is dry only during low tide’ as a great selling point.

From your graph, it looks like any place up to 4 to 5 feet above sl would flood on a regular basis. If the house 12 feet above low-tide sl, he has a margin less than eight feet. That’s just the tide. Right now, it is experiencing waves as high as 6 feet.

You would need a lot of confidence in the long term stability of sl to be comfortable with that purchase.

Duane
August 28, 2019 2:25 pm

There is nothing to defend or criticize about the location of the Obama’s vacation home on Martha’s Vineyard.

The approximate elevation of the location shown on the map above is about 13 ft above MSL. At 9 inches per century average sea level rise, the Obama’s have nothing to worry about .. for the next 1,500 years or so, at least.

ATheoK
Reply to  Duane
August 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Vacation home?

You make it sound like he works in between…
Has he bought a house where he doesn’t vacation?

TommyT
Reply to  Duane
August 29, 2019 2:52 am

That is the point. If they have nothing to worry about, neither do we.

GoldiaWhite
August 29, 2019 4:33 pm

I just hope Obama family can swim. Oops! Is that racist,

Reply to  GoldiaWhite
August 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Well, for eight years The Climate-Fraud-in-Chief convinced a lot of fools he could walk on water. However,, he didn’t go about it the right way. My buddies and I did. Shortly after my return from Vietnam, I was on my way to give flight instruction along with several other instructors to some new pilots in our squadron. A gang of “Peace-niks” outside the fence near the flightline taunted us as we were walking to our aircraft. “You baby killers think you walk on water!” yelled a particularly filthy-looking dirtbag.

I replied, “We CAN WALK ON WATER. In fact, I will bet you $50 that Chuck (6′ 3″, 195 lbs, 5 tours in Vietnam, Honorable Mention All American Defensive Safety for a National Champion Division 1 College football team), right over there, can do it right before your eyes. Show me your money or shut up.”

They probably thought I had just lost my temper and made an emotional claim and it was an easy $50 for them to call my bluff, so they gave their money to a nasty-looking girl to hold. We came out a gate and met them and gave her our money. Dave, former state 6A High School Wrestling Champion, escorted the girl. Chuck led all of us around behind the hangar and down a little hill to the FROZEN POND!! It was DECEMBER!!! We stayed between the pond and the top of the hill so they couldn’t run with the money. After they paid up, we never saw them around the base again.

Mark Broderick
August 28, 2019 10:14 am

David, just to show that i’m not picking on you….Their first boo boo is:

“The Obamas are reportedly in the process of buying the island property, which was originally listed at listed at $14,850,000, from Boston Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck.”

I think one “listed at” is sufficient ! lol

John Bell
August 28, 2019 10:55 am

Where did Obama get $15M? Used his post to enrich himself?

JimG1
Reply to  John Bell
August 28, 2019 11:42 am

Hillary and Bill were probably his investment advisors.

Simon
Reply to  John Bell
August 28, 2019 11:44 am

I think you meant to insert the name Trump there.

Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 12:09 pm

No, Simon. Trump was already rich. But you got your smarmy post out. Now go outside and hurt some squirrels.

simon
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Funny how you think my post is smarmy (and yet it is 100% true that Trump uses his position to feather his own nest), but you are fine with John Bell’s shot at Obama.

MarkW
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 4:33 pm

I love the way the trolls assume that any charge, no matter how ill founded, as long as it’s against someone they hate, must be true.

Then again, trolls were never known for their mental prowess.

Reply to  MarkW
August 28, 2019 4:39 pm

This is the usual Troll response.

Triggered outraged leftist known as “Trigglypuff.”…and they VOTE!

comment image?w=600&h=270

ATheoK
Reply to  simon
August 28, 2019 5:03 pm

Typical, quite typical; simon says that his financial knowledge is deep, detailed even into deep dark secrets.

President Trump donates his entire salary.
President Trump is distanced from his empire and does not earn anything from his empire.

Yet simple simon says that President Trump is somehow feathering his nest?
A feathering that a number of delusional democrats are desperate to locate and identify.
Even attempts by the FBI were unable to establish any hint of financial impropriety.

Which makes simple simon’s claim pure libel.
Perhaps the Secret Service should pay a visit to libellous simon?

Frank McLaughlin
Reply to  simon
September 5, 2019 11:00 pm

How does Trump use “his position to feather his own next?”

You can’t be serious. I haven’t gotten to today’s paper so let’s see….yesterday….he’s inviting the G7 to say at his Florida property during next year’s summit. Day before…he had Pence and the entire VP entourage stay at Trump’s Ireland property even though that property is on the other side of the country from where Pence’s meetings were to be (Dublin). The bill for each room was the maximum allowable to charge.

According to USA Today he is the only President in modern history not to divest.

fish
August 30, 2019 12:29 pm

President Trump is sacrificing a significant amount of his wealth by serving as president. Prior to his election Democrats and Republicans stayed at his properties. Now, Democrats will never, ever visit those properties again.

August 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Barry and Mike Soetoro/Obama were dirt-poor grifters when they started in politics. DJT was already a multi-billionaire….comparing ROAD APPLES to “ORANGES”…pun intended,

Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Not to mention Trump was a producer. Progressives have a hard time with that sort of differentiation.

Simon
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 4:53 pm

“Not to mention Trump was a producer.”
He sure is… of untruths. What was his one this week. Oh yes…. he claimed that his wife, Melania Trump, had “gotten to know” North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. That was till the White house said they had never met….

August 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Oh, for Pete’s sake,who do you think taught Kim how to “Gangnam Style” dance?

August 28, 2019 5:23 pm

It would be easy to momentarily forget that it was Ivanka and not Melania who met Kim the Troll, but at least he knows WHAT STATE he is in, unlike Crazy Joe Biden, who constantly stumbles over that simple issue to figure out. or how MANY states comprise the United States, unlike Barack the Blockhead “57 states” Obungler.

August 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Ahhh, pull your wadded up panties out of your mangina, sweety, the lie that Trump lies is a sad and pathetic lie. Oh, you know that already, being a lie spewer of the First Order.

ATheoK
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 5:09 pm

“Simon August 28, 2019 at 4:53 pm
“Not to mention Trump was a producer.”
He sure is… of untruths. What was his one this week. Oh yes…. he claimed that his wife, Melania Trump”

Loser.

MarkW
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 5:41 pm

I’ve gotten to know you better than I ever wanted to, and hopefully I’ve never been closer than a continent or two away from you.

Your hatred is making you look even dumber than usual.

Simon
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 9:19 pm

ATheok
“Another simple simon falsehood without links to any real proof. Just specious claims.
Loser.”
Sorry forgot the link….
Simon = winner. Running round room arms raised.

August 29, 2019 5:17 pm

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really are just another lie spewing Democrat Party c*nt. Too f**king funny.

Slacko
Reply to  Joel Snider
August 30, 2019 12:10 am

I hope your round room is padded, Simon.

Frank McLaughlin
September 5, 2019 11:19 pm

Actually, you have no idea of Trump’s financial condition. He’s never release his taxes or other documentation to support his financial claims.

We do know that Trump has declared bankruptcy six times, and in each of those cases walked away, leaving his hundreds of subcontractors and hotel vendors with no pay for work done and goods sold. A lot of little people–the guy selling Trump grand pianos–were stiffed for large amounts.

The one thing we do know is that Trump has lied to Forbes and everyone else about his finances, in many cases in violation of the law.

As for Obama’s money, any ex-President of the US receives $400K+ for giving a single speech, and Obama and Michelle’s books have sold extremely well.

From USA Today: “First, Trump frequently uses his office in a way that directly benefits his businesses by using his platform to advertise Trump properties. Over the course of his presidency, Trump has tweeted about or mentioned one of his properties 171 times, and White House officials have followed suit: Members of Trump’s White House have mentioned specific Trump properties 66 times.”

Graemethecat
August 28, 2019 1:44 pm

PRESIDENT Trump.

There, have I triggered you, Simple Simon?

Graemethecat
August 29, 2019 4:27 am

Trump made his money in real estate.

Now, kindly tell us how did Obozo made his money?

toorightmate
Reply to  Graemethecat
August 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Oh Bummer was obviously a very, very, very wise investor.
He managed to turn his $400k salary into $15mill for a house.
Very, very, very astute – to say the least.

Frank McLaughlin
Reply to  Graemethecat
September 5, 2019 11:24 pm

Turn off Fox News and read. The latest advance for Barack and Michelle was a book deal and the advance was $65 million.

Michelle Obama’s new book Becoming is due out November 13, and it’s already climbing the Amazon best-seller charts. (It was the 13th most-sold book during the week of November 4.) In her candid memoir, the former first lady discusses her childhood on Chicago South Side, her relationship with Barack Obama, her years in the White House, and what she really thinks of President Donald Trump.

Michelle and Barack earned an advance of $65 million.

Michael 2
August 31, 2019 5:41 pm

I also know the leader of North Korea, as do you. He does not know me. I have not claimed to have met him in person. Only that I know him. I look forward to your takedowns of Biden.

Latitude
Reply to  John Bell
August 28, 2019 11:55 am

$15M + $8M = $23M

Joel O'Bryan
Reply to  John Bell
August 28, 2019 12:00 pm

The Obama’s are paying for this little vacay home with their Net Neutrality $60 million NetFlix kickback.

Barack Obama gives Netflix net neutrality. Netflix could give Obama a television show
Washington Examiner Op-Ed, March 09, 2018

Obama did his part of the deal with Net Neut, title II imposition via his FCC, so Net Flix provided the quid pro quo (pay to play, kickback, whatever you want to call it) in the form of $60 megabucks.

Fortunately Trump appointed Ajit Pai to be FCC Chairman in 2017 and the now Republican majority on the FCC has completely reversed Obama’s pay to play deal. Net Neutrality was cynically named as it was going be the complete opposite (go figure), with its purpose to suppress movie streaming competitive start-ups to Net Flix’s dominance.

Venril
Reply to  Joel O'Bryan
August 29, 2019 4:58 am

“Net Neutrality” was pure rent-seeking by the industry incumbents. That’s it.

But it sure snookered the twerps on Slashdot.

commieBob
Reply to  John Bell
August 28, 2019 12:14 pm

He sort of did use his post to enrich himself. He literally made millions as an author. link I’m guessing that his books wouldn’t have sold near as well if he hadn’t been president. Other than that, I don’t detect even the whiff of corruption. Being famous and loved by many can be very profitable.

Reply to  commieBob
August 28, 2019 12:47 pm

The Obamas, like Shrillery Clinton and many other Leftists, profit from the “Ft. Worthless” Jim Wright book sales scheme. Someone ghostwrites a screed, they put their name on it, and big donor DONKS buy pallets of them, and The New York Slimes fast tracks them to the top of the Best Sellers list. Everybody wins…but the public.

commieBob
August 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Ouch! Jim Wright got smacked down pretty hard. Have they come up with a more sophisticated scheme in the meantime? I totally didn’t remember that incident. I wonder which planet I was visiting at the time.

John Tillman
Reply to  commieBob
August 29, 2019 6:13 pm

The Obamas were already benefiting from political corruption back in IL, where Michelle had a $300-400K no-show hospital job because her husband was a state legislator. And their house and adjacent lot were paid for by Saddam’s bagman.

After Mrs. Obama went to DC, the hospital cancelled her position. Shocker!

Jared
August 28, 2019 10:57 am

I’m still waiting for the Maldives to be underwater. Experts 30 years ago said that the 1,000+ Islands that make up the Maldives would all be under water by now.

Sunny
Reply to  Jared
August 28, 2019 3:12 pm

I just read about it today, and they say within the next 80 years the maldives will be gone under water, unless I stop driving my car…

Frank McLaughlin
Reply to  Jared
September 5, 2019 11:27 pm

No they didn’t. Read for a change. Stop making stuff up.

Latitude
August 28, 2019 10:59 am

every person, entity, organization, media……that’s pushing this crap…acts like it’s a scam

..and for some reason….the rest of us are not supposed to think it’s a scam

Rob_Dawg
August 28, 2019 11:06 am

Almost as if… oh never mind. Climate for we but not for thee.

Lee L
August 28, 2019 11:07 am

You people just don’t understand.

The Obama family is buying the property knowing that it will be underwater… kind of a ‘sunk cost’ of living where they can enjoy a lovely water view and save another family from making a big mistake.
Yea..that’s the ticket. Save another family from a big mistake.

Joel Snider
August 28, 2019 11:09 am

Listen not to what they say, look instead at what they do.

J Mac
August 28, 2019 11:10 am

One third of the legal voters in the USA don’t care that the Obamas are overt hypocrites on ‘climate change’ alarmism, as emphatically demonstrated by the Obamas pending purchase of this barely above sea level estate. They understand that ‘climate change’ alarmism is a means to further their socialist agenda. Nothing more and nothing less.

Dennis Sandberg
Reply to  J Mac
August 28, 2019 12:40 pm

J Mac
“One third of legal voters in the USA don’t care that the Obama’s” (politicians, especially government funded scientists and other government employees including mayors of nearly 100% of our major cities, and every other group feeding at the federal trough) “are overt hypocrites on “climate change” alarmism….” and almost every other important issue.
It’s all about ill-gotten money. Sadly it’s more like one half instead of one third.

jarves
August 28, 2019 11:17 am

Exxon knew and now Obama knows too, insider climatic information.

George Schuh
August 28, 2019 11:18 am

Slightly Off topic but TS Dorian has just been upgraded to hurricane status at 1303 8/28/19 CDST using earth:nullschool data Surface wind speed was 37mph; 1000 hPa=44mph(350 ft altitude); 850 hPa=55mph (4200 Ft altitude) At no point in the eyewall or to the NE of the center can 74mph be measured as a sustained wind speed at any altitude, This appears to be another inflated value to strike fear or greed into Puerto Rican citizens.

commieBob
Reply to  George Schuh
August 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Not really that off topic. There’s no way I would buy property like that. One off course hurricane … My wife lived through Hurricane Hazel when it snuck up into Southern Ontario. The first rule of building on a flood plain is, don’t.

Dennis Sandberg
August 28, 2019 11:19 am

Wikipedia:
Edgartown is a tourist destination on the island of Martha’s Vineyard in Dukes County, … Elevation. 17 ft (5 m). Population. (2010). • Total, 4,067. • Density, 145.2/sq mi …. The town of Edgartown includes the smaller island of Chappaquiddick, ..

Note: there’s a high peak somewhere on the Island 300+’

Thomas Homer
August 28, 2019 12:17 pm

“A solemn-faced Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy, wearing a neck brace, and his wife, Joan, leave Hyannis for the funeral of Mary Jo Kopechne on July 22, 1969. Miss Kopechne was killed when an auto driven by the Senator plunged off a bridge on Martha’s Vineyard on July 19th. Kennedy pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and received a suspended two-month jail sentence on July 25th.”

Apollo moon landing July 20, 1969

Reply to  Thomas Homer
August 28, 2019 12:55 pm

Teddy, you’ve been drinking and “carousing” with a young girl. What if something happens…worse, what if someone finds out?…Relax, we’ll cross that bridge when we…..

Michael S. Kelly LS, BSA Ret.
August 28, 2019 4:48 pm

No, no. It’s “We’ll drive off that bridge when we come to it.”

FIFY

philincalifornia
August 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Although she and her family would have preferred otherwise, she was a martyr – kept him out of the White House.

Frank McLaughlin
Reply to  philincalifornia
September 5, 2019 11:30 pm

And so you got Nixon instead? How did that work out for you?

Reply to  Dennis Sandberg
August 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Note: there’s a high peak somewhere on the Island 300+’

…and an indention from an Oldsmobile just off of it.

Rocketscientist
August 28, 2019 11:21 am

You can fool some of the people some of the time,
and you can fool some of the people all of the time…
But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

It’s becoming much easier to spot the people who are continually being fooled. It is they who are subsequently herded together so that the charlatans may fleece the flock. What annoys me is the sheep want everyone to be a sheep.

Jeroen
Reply to  Rocketscientist
August 29, 2019 8:30 am

Was it not:

”You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.”

– Abraham Lincoln

Tombstone Gabby
Reply to  Jeroen
August 29, 2019 12:36 pm

“You can fool some of the people some of the time, and that’s enough”. – Barnum…..

TonyL
August 28, 2019 11:25 am

If you need to wait to the year 2100, you are doing it wrong. There are other ways to get local sea level rise much faster. It all depends on how you approach the problem.

Sea level done correctly:
As an introduction, we must describe the situation on Martha’s Vineyard. As we all know, in the summer the island is a famous playground for the rich and famous. In addition, there are almost uncountable tourist hoards who ferry over for a visit.
In the winter, however, it is a totally different story. The island is very nearly deserted with just a few year around residents. Therefor, you have much more freedom of movement than you would otherwise expect. Whole chunks of the island, full of mansions are virtually abandoned.
Herein lies the plan.
Over the Christmas to New Years holidays, simply use some earth moving equipment to pile up a berm fully encircling the target. Such a berm could be made quickly and as high as you like. Once completed simply pump sea water from the nearby beach into the area enclosed by the earthen berm. This will provide an excellent example of local sea level rise and it’s effect on the property.
Given the small numbers of locals on the island, it is likely that such activities will go entirely unnoticed. Even if such activities are noticed, due to the somewhat sketchy relationship between the year-rounders and the seasonal residents, it is likely nothing would be questioned.
Indeed, when it is time to start pumping water, large hoses and high volume pumps will be required. Such equipment could likely be obtained from the Oak Bluffs Fire Department. Such a contribution from the town would give the project a “Community” flair.

As you can see, with proper planning, any desired sea level rise can be achieved according to any forecast or projection you choose.

Mark Broderick
August 28, 2019 11:40 am

Hmmm, who is more trustworthy ? A billionaire that became a”politician”, or a politician that became a millionaire ?

Chaswarnertoo
Reply to  Mark Broderick
August 28, 2019 11:32 pm

You can’t get rich in politics, unless you’re a crook. Harry S Truman.

August 29, 2019 5:07 pm

And yet it did him no good. How did he die? What happened to his widow? Who saved her? (a hint, a President who hated him took care of his widow, an actual America who today’s children are taught nothing about)

Roy A
August 28, 2019 11:52 am

Well said Latitude!

deant
August 28, 2019 11:54 am

according to google earth the building is at about 10′ elevation

Bob Hunter
August 28, 2019 11:55 am

Walter Sobchak
Reply to  Bob Hunter
August 28, 2019 12:14 pm

The kids were born in 98 and 2001. The odds of either of them making it to 99 are about 4%.

Scissor
Reply to  Walter Sobchak
August 28, 2019 3:53 pm

The likelihood that one or both die from some substance abuse issue before then has to be higher than 4%.

Walter Sobchak
Reply to  Scissor
August 28, 2019 5:54 pm

Why do you say that. They are not Kennedys

Reply to  Walter Sobchak
August 28, 2019 5:58 pm

…a distinction without a difference.

Joel O'Bryan
Reply to  Bob Hunter
August 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Just offshore New England winter Nor’easters are routinely as strong or stronger than a Cat 1 hurricane out on the Cape and Islands.
They usually get 1 to 2 per winter. Some winter 4 or 5, some none. But the Nor’easters at the surface the same deep-low pressure phenomenon without the tropical warm core heat engine. Instead the are mostly driven by a strong pressure pattern gradient and a deeply looped jet stream trying to conserve angular momentum.

Steve Reddish
Reply to  Bob Hunter
August 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Maybe Obama intends to convert his mansions to solar. That way he imagines he could reduce the CO2 footprints of those mansions. By buying these mansions he is trying to do his part to save the world.

SR

Walter Sobchak
August 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Flood insurance only cover the cost of the building. The reports of this transaction say the house has ~6900 sq ft. So the cost of the house is 4 M$ tops. That means they paid ~10 M$ for the land. If it is submerged they will have lost their investment. And, it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Two conclusions:

1. Obama is a chump for throwing away 10 M$.

2. The American people are chumps for believing his rhetoric about global warming.

Take your pick.

P.S. My bet is on 2.

Jim Gorman
Reply to  Walter Sobchak
August 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Nah. They are expecting the government to reimburse them for their loss. Hopefully from taxes paid by sceptics.

DonM
Reply to  Jim Gorman
August 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Maximum policy payout is $350K

John Endicott
Reply to  Walter Sobchak
August 28, 2019 6:49 pm

walter embrace the word “and”. both 1 *and* 2 are possible at the same time.

Frank McLaughlin
Reply to  Walter Sobchak
September 5, 2019 11:47 pm

Or Choice 3, the American people are smart enough to understand that if you can see the ice melting, it much be getting warmer (See “Chasing Ice” to see the change to glaciers worldwide over five years. It is dramatic).

And they are smart enough not to fight against the worldwide community of scientists and 12,000 peer reviewed GW studies establishing man’s role in climate change. (Number of peer reviewed published studies establishing that it is not getting warmer or man is not contributing to it getting warmer….uh….zero).

Reply to  Frank McLaughlin
September 6, 2019 6:22 am

Ice melts in spring and summer, freezes in fall and winter and the Arctic Sea is covered with ice as we type. Too bad you can’t figure out simple facts and instead spew lies. Here, let me help you, climate changes constantly, always has and always will, humans are not causing it and can not stop it. Simply accept reality, your life will be much more fulfilling.

Reply to  Frank McLaughlin
September 6, 2019 9:06 am

There is no consensus on the causes of climate change, anyone who claims otherwise is a liar, an idiot, or both.

Not one study has ever established man’s role in climate change. You are a fool if you believe they have.

Climates have always changed, naturally. And anyone who thinks our climate should not change is, again, a fool.

We are still warming out of the coldest period in the last 9000 years. Why would I expect a stable climate? Really, you guys are simply out to lunch.

August 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Make that FOUR mansions….

WHAT ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE?! Internet Has A Blast After Obamas Buy $15 Million Beachfront Mansion

So Barack Obama has bought yet another house. He’s got a mansion in California, another in Chicago, plus there’s his massive residence in Washington, D.C., the one with the walls and fences to keep the riff-raff away.

The internet, as it is wont to do, immediately weighed in on the news.

This one was among the best on Twitter: “If you truly believe that climate change is going to be as devastating as the pundits are saying (ex: the island of Manhatten will soon be underwater), why would you gamble $15M to buy an island estate directly on the water?”
comment image

==
==

andy
August 28, 2019 1:02 pm

I guess he really believed himself when he said his nomination victory was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow.

Loydo
August 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Even funnier is the the seawall Trunp wants to build around his Irish golf course.

Reply to  Loydo
August 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Give the chumps what they ask for if it gets more business.

MarkW
Reply to  Loydo
August 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Simon
Reply to  MarkW
August 28, 2019 9:24 pm

MarkW
“Even funnier is Loydo’s belief that the only reason to build a sea wall is because of sea level rise.”

It’s the reason Trump gave in his permit application for the wall…. so I guess it’s not that funny really.

August 28, 2019 9:38 pm

When in Rome,….if pandering to the local CAGW Alarmism gets the permit approved, it is good business strategy. President Trump has shown by his actions that he does not believe the CAGW Alarmism hysteria….and NEITHER DOES THE GRIFTER FROM CHICAGO as his purchase of a seaside mansion PROVES!!!

August 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Do you even know where that golf course is? Or where that seawall was to be built? (a hint, where that wall was to be built is not 80 meters off shore, thanks to “TIDAL EROSION”, not sea level rise, moron)

John Tillman
August 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Trump gave no such reason.

Why lie? From Snopes, no less (slightly edited):

As part of a May 2016 planning application in County Clare, Ireland, a local firm, acting on behalf of Trump’s company TIGL, submitted a report that repeatedly referred to global warming and climate change as real phenomena posing specific risks (rising sea levels and extreme storms) to the erosion of sand dunes at the Doonbeg golf course.

Trump himself did not make these references to global warming and climate change, nor did anyone else from his company. The report was written by an Irish environmental consultancy and submitted on behalf of Trump’s company.

Silversurfer
August 28, 2019 1:04 pm

He better learn to swim!

August 28, 2019 1:05 pm

One of the Democrat Presidential primary debates between Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter never got broadcast. They called it a special type of debate: A “poetry” face off. They were given a word, then allowed two minutes to study the word and come up with a poem that contained the word. The word they were given was “Timbuktu” .

First to recite his poem was Ted Kennedy, recently booted from Harvard for hiring a kid to take his Spanish final for him (and too stupid to realize that EVERY professor was alerted to the presence of Joe Kennedy’s kid being on campus and shown his photograph…but I digress).. He stepped to the microphone and recited:

Slowly across the desert sand
Trekked a lonely caravan.
Men on camels, two by two
Destination: Timbuktu.

The crowd went crazy! No way could a stupid “Peanut farmer” dunce top that, they thought. Still, the smiling and confident Jimmy Carter calmly made his way to the microphone, cleared his throat, and recited:

Me and Tim a-huntin’ went,
Met three “tramps” in a pop up tent.
They was three, and we was two,
So I bucked one, and Timbuktu.

…it emptied the auditorium….

Derg
August 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Lol….I damn near wet myself

Doug Huffman
August 28, 2019 1:10 pm

This morning I drove out to our Town Pier to see that the water has gone down an inch or two and that the approach road is relatively dry – just individual puddles.

The water is Lake Michigan and subject to other rising level influences. This time next year may be very interesting for water front property owners, not so much for us on the 200 feet higher ‘mountain’.

RB
August 28, 2019 1:17 pm

The fact that Obama is buying a mansion located at sea level indicates he doesn’t believe a word of the AGW nonsense he and his Ilk have been spewing for the past several decades.

Scissor
Reply to  RB
August 28, 2019 3:55 pm

That’s his second that has been publicized. He also has a beach front vacation home in Hawaii.

Reply to  Scissor
August 28, 2019 4:16 pm

He has FOUR.…This should be front page news WORLDWIDE!!! Oh, the HYPPCRISY of the Chicago GRIFTERS

The internet, as it is wont to do, immediately weighed in on the news.

comment image

==
==

August 28, 2019 1:49 pm

3 mansions eh?? Apparently the boy has done rather well for a community organizer. Classic case of who you know trumping what you know, cause he don’t know s**t. I suppose the government will subsidize his flood insurance.

Dan Cody
August 28, 2019 1:58 pm

I wonder if Obama the primadonna or the Obamanation and the overrated former ‘First lady’ can swim? or maybe they have an electric boat?

Gunga Din
August 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Years ago my Son bought me a coffee mug with a map of globe surrounding it. When you poured hot coffee into it, it parts of the land would turn blue simulating sea level rise as the CAGW’s predict.
According to The Goracle and my coffee mug, those fires in the Amazon are already underwater.
Are we sure Obama isn’t buying the place from Al Gore?

Admin
August 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Poor Obamas, if only they had learned about sea level rise before the bought that doomed seaside property!

August 28, 2019 2:48 pm

It is very appropriate that the new Obama house is located on Turkeyland Cove Road.

Kevin kilty
Reply to  nicholas tesdorf
August 28, 2019 4:03 pm

At the intersection with King Point!

Reply to  nicholas tesdorf
August 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Well, he ALMOST made the turn on to King Point. Fortunately for us.

Mark Broderick
August 28, 2019 3:24 pm

No wonder why the “elite” politicians on both sides hate President Trump. He is a billionaire that is losing money by becoming a politician and they are politicians that mysteriously become millionaires by doing nothing for the people that voted for them…

Ed Zuiderwijk
August 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Is that really ‘turkeyland’ or is it a joke? Either way appropriate.

August 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Pretty funny, seeing as “sea level” has not risen appreciably since the Evil White Man settled the east coast of North America, otherwise all the structures built along the coast would be under water. They ain’t. Lots of stuff has been lost to tidal erosion, not a f**king thing has been submerged by sea level rise.

August 28, 2019 3:50 pm

This could actually work to assuage the fears of the CAGW Alarmist lemmings. If the Obamas aren’t concerned about sea level rise, maybe nobody else should be either.

Stephen Airth
August 28, 2019 3:52 pm

I too live on the water….
Gulf of Saint Lawrence in Canada.
Obama is 58, I am 61….
We are all going to die one day,I dont see the point of fretting about what may happen 80 years from now when I will already be dead for a long time.

Peter D
August 28, 2019 4:08 pm

Obviously the Obama’s do not believe this sea level rise climate scare themselves.

August 28, 2019 4:09 pm

During his presidency when they took their vacations there the local electric company had to bring in portable diesel-fired generators. I wonder what will happen now?

JohnB
August 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Pardon my, to me, obvious question. How does a guy on a Senators salary and then a Presidents salary afford a third mansion for $14 million? He’s not taking a 30 year mortgage on this, so where does the money come from?

Reply to  JohnB
August 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell….and for heaven’s sake, DON’T SMELL!!…his entire rotten career REEKS!

August 28, 2019 4:21 pm

At 7 to 9 inches per century SLR – I don’t see why anyone would be worried . . .
We are talking about many hundreds of years. . .
JPP

Kristi R Silber
August 28, 2019 7:18 pm

2100, eh? So what?

They bought a mansion. It might be underwater sometime in the distant future, long after they are dead. Why is this worth commenting on?

Scissor
Reply to  Kristi R Silber
August 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Do tell.

Hugs
Reply to  Scissor
August 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Let me tell.

Here’s the hero president, who makes a big deal about sea level rise. He doesn’t say will be distant future which will not affect on estate prices now. He makes us do tiny emissions reductions, no actually he wants big reductions and now, and so he gets a Nobel Peace Price for being politically correct (which is Left, if you wonder) before doing any work.

Then comes the day he’s not in office and the Fox News are not following him. He buys a seaside mansion, as if nobody cares if it is only maybe 2m above the mean sea level there.

Don’t you see the hypocrisy? We the people should accept high taxes, because the sea level rises, gasp, but when he puts 15 million to the table, he won’t blink despite his mansion will be, we’re told, written down.

In reality, he does not believe a second his mansion will be in any danger in 2038, despite a highly valued Congress witness, scientist J Hansen telling sea levels would be 10 feet higher and bury the NYC West Side Hiway by then. He predicted this in 1998. It was written up by Bob Reiss from WaPo as 20 years, and only a few years ago re-remembered to be 40 years (oh dear my memory could have been 20 or 40, didn’t mind it back then) for an obvious reason – the sea level didn’t co-operate.

So either Hansen is wrong and Obama made a good deal, or Hansen is right and this still leaves Obama an impostor who doesn’t believe in Hansen. A science d3ni3r if you will.

Hugs
Reply to  Hugs
August 29, 2019 11:26 pm

Oh Piece Prize, how much mispelling and misgrammar.

Graemethecat
Reply to  Kristi R Silber
August 29, 2019 5:24 am

Why? Because it shows perfectly clearly the hypocrisy of our ruling elite. If sea level rise was really a problem as you folks assert, why did Obozo buy this property?

This is blindingly obvious to everyone except a Leftist.

sycomputing
Reply to  Kristi R Silber
August 29, 2019 7:30 am

Why is this worth commenting on?

Well the hypocrisy is stunning is it not?

Here’s a guy who stuck the American taxpayer with 1/2 a BILLION DOLLAR liability to enrich some wealthy corporate donor types (and thus himself via his reelection coffers, if not directly) in a greasy little back room solar start-up deal that would shame Nixon. He did this ostensibly so the world could be just that much safer from AGW. You know, because Obama cares about climate change. It’s an important issue after all. Future generations are on the chopping block if we don’t fix it. Logically therefore, he ought to be donating his millions to mitigating AGW ought he not? Why isn’t his money good enough? Everyone else’s is?

He cares about future generations, you see. He loves them, that is, the poor and such and these. It is a great embarrassment to his value system, not to mention dangerous to the future survival of the American nation that some have more than others. We know this because he said so (emphasis added):

“Obama continued on income inequality, saying, ‘History shows that societies which tolerate vast differences in wealth feed resentments and reduce solidarity and actually grow more slowly. And when economic power is concentrated in the hands of the few, history also shows that political power is sure to follow and that dynamic eats away at democracy.'”

“Obama then chided wealthy individuals for excess, saying, “There’s only so much you can eat. There’s only so big a house you can have. There’s only so many nice trips you can take. I mean, it’s enough.”

You mean except when the wealth is yours, Mr. President? Then it’s okay, is that right? Do what I say and not what I do? Everyone else should give up their wealth, but not you, sir? You’re exempt from showing your concern for the state of the nation buy purchasing that little two bedroom house down on 2nd street in Chicago next to the barber shop?

Yeah, I gotcha . . . nice house hypocrite.

Joz Jonlin
August 28, 2019 10:09 pm

The description on the realty page says,

“The sprawling lawn and incredible water views make for the perfect family compound setting for generations to come.”

It’s obvious these people are climate deniers. Don’t they know it’ll be underwater soon?

Ian MacCulloch
August 29, 2019 1:14 am

Ex President Obama’s fellow traveller, proponent of rampant sea level rises, Tim Flannery PhD also took his own advice a bought a waterfront property several years up in the Hawkesbury to the north of Sydney.
Both the Obamas and the Flannerys clearly do not follow there own climate change views especially when prime waterfront real estate is involved.

Kirriepete
August 29, 2019 2:15 am

Nice little ditty for Barry O, pretty sure he’s one of the drummers on this….

Reply to  Kirriepete
August 29, 2019 8:05 am

Remember the school that gathered the kids and taught them to sing, “Barack Hussein Obama, Hmmmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmm?”

Yes, it is authentic.

August 29, 2019 4:49 pm

That bit of video has been thoroughly hidden. Not erased! Just hidden, leftards will pop it out when it serves them, again.

Bindidon
August 29, 2019 4:11 am

A bit of info to cool down the usual misinforming polemic about the Maldives, from Wikipedia:

Maldives is the lowest country in the world, with maximum and average natural ground levels of only 2.4 metres (7 ft 10 in) and 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level, respectively.

In areas where construction exists, however, this has been increased to several metres.

More than 80 per cent of the country’s land is composed of coral islands which rise less than one metre above sea level.

As a result, the Maldives are at high risk of being submerged due to rising sea levels. The UN’s environmental panel has warned that, at current rates, sea level rise would be high enough to make the Maldives uninhabitable by 2100.

That’s all.

Bindidon
Reply to  Bindidon
August 29, 2019 5:13 am

I add a graph for the PMSL station Male-Hulule in the Maldives, obtained from the PMSL data (which anybody will find here):

The station is here:

The graph shows sea level anomalies wrt the mean of 1993-2013:

The linear estimate for 1991-2016 is: 4.5 mm / year, no high acceleration perceptible.

Thus, all other things keeping equal (!), the SLR there will be about 0.5 metre in 2100.

Doesn’t look very much for us, but… we all don’t live there, huh?

chris moffatt
August 29, 2019 8:17 am

None of it matters. Like the rest of us peasants he’s only got 12 years (well 11.5 now) before the climapocalypse.

ResourceGuy
August 29, 2019 10:16 am

So the community organizer took the property off their hands to save the previous owners from rising seas. How benevolent…..and far from the madding crowds and gangs of Chicago.

u.k.(us)
August 29, 2019 6:22 pm

I was expecting more solar panels.
I’m sure they, and the windmills, are going to be part of the site improvements.
Just cus you buy an eco-faulty property, don’t mean you can’t fix it.

sycomputing
Reply to  u.k.(us)
August 29, 2019 10:30 pm

I’ve got 10 to 1 there’s HOA or similar restrictions on this kind of improvement.

Any takers?