While I’ve sent this to Helen Wiggins at ARCUS (and have confirmation of receipt), I’m also posting it here for the record.
PAN-ARCTIC OUTLOOK FROM WUWT (acronym for WattsUpWithThat.com)
- Extent Projection: 4.5 million square kilometers, which is down from 5.1 million square kilometers predicted by WUWT readers in July. Readers polled responded with 23.21% of responses in the range of 4.4 to 4.6 million square kilometers. It is the opinion of the website owner (Watts) that the NSIDC September average will be lower than 4.5 million sq kilometers chosen by reader poll, possibly meeting or exceeding the 2007 minimum.
- Techniques: web poll of readers
- Rationale: Composite of projections by readers, projection bracket with the highest response is the one submitted.
- Executive Summary: Website devoted to climate and weather polled its readers for the best estimate of 2011 sea ice extent minimum by choosing bracketed values from a web poll which can be seen at: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/08/31/final-arctic-sea-ice-forecast-poll/
- Estimate of Forecast Skill: none
submitted by Anthony Watts to ARCUS on September 1st
See the WUWT Sea Ice Page for the most current status of sea ice