Scene from "The Wicker Man" (1973), a cult horror classic about nature worshippers in an isolated British island community.

“Lying Flat”: Back to Nature Undermining the Chinese Economy

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

Has Atlas shrugged? Concerned Chinese authorities are struggling to contain their version of a rising 60s style hippie movement, with increasing numbers of young professionals dropping out, ditching their high pressure city jobs, and embracing simpler alternative lifestyles.

‘Lying flat’: The millennials quitting China’s ‘996’ work culture to live ‘free of anxiety’

Foreign Correspondent /

By Lydia Feng

Two years ago, Li Chuang traded the bustling metropolis of Beijing for the tranquillity of an ancient monastery in central China.

Among snow-capped peaks shrouded in clouds, Li lived with local monks, embracing the Taoist philosophy of living in harmony with nature.

After six months, he returned to the city.

Li didn’t go back to an office job.

Li Chuang is among a growing number of young professionals in China rejecting the traditional narrative of success in favour of a minimalist lifestyle.

Instead of working hard, buying a house, getting married and having children, some young Chinese are opting out of the rat race and taking up low-paying jobs — or not working at all.

Lying flat

This simple act of resistance is commonly known as tangping, or “lying flat”.

These days, Li often practices tai chi in the mornings and, when business is quiet in the evenings, he plays his guitar or guqin.

A national threat

For Chinese officials, it is the exact opposite of what the nation has asked of its people.

The government wants a young generation of patriotic and productive workers.

The Communist Party has labelled tangping “a threat to stability”.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/tang-ping-lying-flat-generation-rejecting-chinas-work-culture/100477716

China’s adjustment may not be so straightforward. Demographically, China is an unbalanced disaster, thanks to decades of the CCP enforcing a one child family policy. They absolutely need every able bodied youth to work their butts off, or the whole pack of cards could collapse.

How do you convince members of a growing back to nature hippie movement to go back to work? Sure, China could round them up and force them at gunpoint to join the Uyghur slaves mining coal or picking cotton in Xinjiang, but these are skilled, professional people – it is their minds, their creativity, their mental product which China desperately needs, not low value physical labour extracted by force in some squalid work camp.

In the book Atlas Shrugged, participants in the strike of the mind did not necessarily withhold their physical labour, many of them still took menial jobs, to provide for their basic needs. But participants in the plot absolutely refused to give the looters their minds, to allow the looters to profit from their professional skills. In the story the mass withdrawal of professional skills eventually led to the downfall of the looter’s society.

Time will tell what this growing strike of the mind will do to China.

4.7 26 votes
MarkW
September 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Where did the belief that “back to nature” has to be done sans clothing, come from?

Tom Halla
Reply to  MarkW
September 23, 2021 2:11 pm

I think it comes from Wicca, a religion created in the UK in the late 1920’s to 1930’s. Gardner, one of the creators, was an enthusiastic nudist—“sky clad” as being one with nature.
Alternatively, he was just an old lech.

Spetzer86
Reply to  Tom Halla
September 23, 2021 2:28 pm

You don’t just dance widdershins by going counterclockwise…

Reply to  Tom Halla
September 23, 2021 4:11 pm

earlier than that: the Romantic movement of the 19th century was all about ‘back to Nature’ and in Germany at least that involved a lot of nudity…

griff
Reply to  Leo Smith
September 24, 2021 1:32 am

Interestingly while nudity was very popular in the old East Germany, some say as a form of subtle anti state process, Eric Honecker was against it. ‘nobody wants to see that’ he said.

There’s a section of the fascinating DDR museum in Berlin dedicated to E German nudism.

(Museum highly recommended as a demonstration of why communism doesn’t work)

Joao Martins
Reply to  griff
September 24, 2021 2:28 am

griff, I really appreciate you erudition on religious matters!

Now I understand why you are such a strong climate change believer!

I wonder if you will have a room of your own in a future museum of the climate change thrash: you deserve it, someone should do justice to your abnegate militancy!

mkelly
Reply to  griff
September 24, 2021 6:20 am

Griff, I commend you for your last sentence. No reservations in commending you for it. Communism doesn’t work nor does its twin socialism.

Graemethecat
Reply to  mkelly
September 24, 2021 8:22 am

This is the first time Griff has said something provably true!

mkelly
Reply to  griff
September 24, 2021 6:27 am

Griff, I ask you to remember that all you advocate for in stopping what you think is a climate crisis will end in what you say doesn’t work. There is no fence sitting either you allow people to be free or you don’t. Choose wisely.

Rory Forbes
Reply to  MarkW
September 23, 2021 2:41 pm

It’s just a fetish and at their roots, most fetishes are sexual in nature.

Ron Long
Reply to  MarkW
September 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Judging from the “white butt syndrome” they only remove clothes for rituals and/or pictures.

Bryan A
Reply to  Ron Long
September 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Now now now, they’re supposed to be Starkers but they aren’t. All of those glorious females are wearing flesh colored onesies. Not a bare backside in the bunch

Ron Long
Reply to  Bryan A
September 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Bryan, how did you get to be an expert on “onesies”?

Alan the Brit
Reply to  Bryan A
September 24, 2021 12:10 am

Can anyone tell me how to zoom in??? 😉

AleaJactaEst
Reply to  Alan the Brit
September 24, 2021 2:12 am

CTRL +/- zoom in/out

ATheoK
Reply to  Bryan A
September 24, 2021 9:49 am

Doesn’t matter. Those white butts shine through that material.

M Courtney
Reply to  Ron Long
September 24, 2021 12:43 am

For the record, the original version of The Wicker Man with Edward Woodward is one of the greatest movies of all time.
Highly recommended, if you haven’t seen it. Or of you have,

Grant
Reply to  M Courtney
September 24, 2021 7:57 am

Let’s not go overboard

Ed Zuiderwijk
Reply to  MarkW
September 24, 2021 1:21 am

It’s an added benefit.

Brad
September 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Haha… I was “lying flat” with my dogs when this posted…

Rud Istvan
September 23, 2021 2:29 pm

I suspect tangping will have as much impact on China as hippies did on the US economy after the 1960’s. NONE.
As for the one child policy resulting age demographic elderly imbalance, China already created a solution—COVID-19 from the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Clever, they even used Fauci’s US funding for its development. Cuomo already deployed it to great effect in New York state.

JimG1
Reply to  Rud Istvan
September 23, 2021 2:47 pm

Not so sure. Many of those hippies are now part of the deep state and the “progressive” movement.

Mark D
Reply to  JimG1
September 23, 2021 3:12 pm

I seldom am inclined to disagree with Rud but Jim you are correct. Look who is running the USA …

observa
Reply to  JimG1
September 23, 2021 7:44 pm

You can only be hippies and tangping when fossil fuel energy underpins your lifestyle choices-
Here comes the Great Resignation. Why millions of employees could quit their jobs post-pandemic (msn.com)
As for all the stinkers in residence in our Sandstones Pol Pot had a quick solution for the useful idiots when that energy wasn’t freely available.

SxyxS
Reply to  Rud Istvan
September 23, 2021 4:38 pm

Dude ,you have no clue what you are talking about.

The hippies were integral part of destroying your country and culture and families.
Hippies are nothing more than veiled marxist without knowing it.
You can find an interview of David Silver with some hippies from 1967 where one of them clearly says:”There are no hippies.Hippy is a word the media has created.We are marxists”(sounds so BLM, doesn’t it?
Where was the hippie movement created? Right next to Hollywood.Laurel Canyon.
As soon as the drug worshipping started, the cia and mayer lansky started smuggling drugs from laos etc to the usa via air america etc.
As soon as the marxist took over Russia they realized they can not take over the USA with socialist blabla but have to use racebaiting and subversion.
At the same time the marxist Frankfurt School was created with the aim to take out the west with critical (race) theory and polymorphic perversion,which is more or less the hippie and woke movement.This is about keeping people from growing up by instant gratification,drugs etc.
When members of Frankfurt School fled Germany their head Adorno went to New York,then Hollywood – oh coincidence.
In 1966 the cloward piven strategy was presented to ruin your country with massive debts to implement a universal basic income.
2 years later the club of rome was created to direct the hippies towards green parties that occured in the west a few years later.
Just a bit later (after the club of rome was founded)the first global crisis to justify global marxism occured = ice age scare.
Besides the hippie movement a second massive hit against western culture occured in 1967.
Vatican 2 council that watered down your religion.
Vatican 2 council was direct result of marxist infiltration.
In 1950 former top US communist Bela Dodd blowed the whistle that they have sent 1100 agents to infiltrate the church and that she herself spoke during her time as communist leaderto several Vatican bishops who were not Catholic but communists.

What happened after the hippie movement faded?
Their communities broke apart as marxism is dysfunctional by design.
The hedonists,narcissists,sociopath left and became yuppies and dinkies,the idealists became drug addicts,the usefull idiots became teachers and brainwash the crap out of your children.
And you claim they had no impact?Lol.
Without hippies no woke.
No woke ,no crazys,
AGW would be dead in the water.

Last edited 2 months ago by SxyxS
Rud Istvan
Reply to  SxyxS
September 23, 2021 5:52 pm

Sorry,but none of what you posit happened with my kids on my watch.

bob boder
Reply to  Rud Istvan
September 24, 2021 5:39 am

That’s because you were on watch! most parents weren’t

John Savage
Reply to  SxyxS
September 23, 2021 6:00 pm

That was oddly satisfying.

Timo, not that one
Reply to  SxyxS
September 24, 2021 6:03 am

Thank you SxyxS. You explained what I have always known, the (Marxist) hippies have destroyed my birthright. At least we have hope that the hippies will die off soon. Maybe then the drug addled haze the whole world is still in, will finally end.

ATheoK
Reply to  SxyxS
September 24, 2021 10:14 am

By the end of the 1960s, the Hippie movement was declared dead.

Nor did one hippie ever speak for the rest of the hippies. They were sufficiently anarchist to refuse following alleged hippie leaders, with whom they frequently violently disagreed.

During the 1970s, young revolutionaries were called Freaks. Even though portrayed as not employed or employable, I personally did not know any Freak that refused work.
Back then, I earned $1.50 hour to $3.00 an hour pay rates and I was ecstatic when I got a $4.50 per hour job circa 1978.

All of us were intent on those things common to the working class; housing, food, heating and many other expenses.

Most of us lived from paycheck to paycheck, and often worked two jobs. I frequently signed entire paychecks over to government, rent, insurance, fuel oil for heating, new tires, car repair, etc.

While waiting in line for a car inspection, the guy whose lead sled Continental boat up on the rack told me “My car would crush your car like tinfoil“. To which I replied, “My car can drive circles around your boat. First, you have to catch me.

The old dullard looked shocked, shut up and went back to his seat. He was in a suit and tie, I was in jeans and T-shirt.

Those that I remember as most anti-Democracy were children of the ultra rich who never worried about a dollar, rent, food or heating in their young lives. They often showed up driving brand new cars, while I and close friends drove cars over ten years old.

My Father taught me car repair as a required skill. I taught my sons. Along with gardening, woodworking and other get your hands dirty skills.

nyolci
Reply to  Rud Istvan
September 23, 2021 9:42 pm

hippies did on the US economy after the 1960’s. NONE.

A rare moment we agree.

China already created a solution—COVID-19 from the Wuhan Institute of Virology

I thought you were not that contheo minded…

bob boder
Reply to  nyolci
September 24, 2021 5:41 am

probably to wipe out their elderly since they have a gigantic aging problem loaming ahead of them.

ResourceGuy
September 23, 2021 2:29 pm

I thought the new CCP policy push was for more equality. This would do it in areas they did not plan on. See Greg Ip article on China productivity decline in the WSJ.

WXcycles
Reply to  ResourceGuy
September 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Perfect equality is easy. You all own nothing. The party owns everything.

Al Kour
Reply to  WXcycles
September 24, 2021 7:52 am

.You all own nothing – and are happy!
The Party owns everything – and is even happier!

Robert Hanson
Reply to  Al Kour
September 24, 2021 4:04 pm

I seem to remember the way this system works. We pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us. What could go wrong?

Sara
September 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Well, that should end the communist revolution thing for good. Far too liberal for the Chinese government to not punish these latter day hippies of their own. What’s next? Reviving opium dens?

To bed B
September 23, 2021 2:53 pm

We have a strike of the mind happening in the West. More of a case of dumbing down and being superficial to keep that professional job. Doing it like a labourer would to keep the privilege. Pumping out results of climate models rather than doing science is just one example.

Doonman
September 23, 2021 2:58 pm

All hippies were at least 18 in 1967 when hippie was declared dead by the diggers and the funeral was held. Anyone left alive since then and still claiming to be a hippie did not get the memo. All others younger than that and claiming to be hippies are posers.

Pamela Matlack-Klein
Reply to  Doonman
September 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Try telling Cartman that there were no hippies after 1967….

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Doonman
September 23, 2021 4:05 pm

After I got out of Vietnam and the Army, I decided to see what the Hippie world was like. It was very interesting. Most hippies were good people, looking for the meaning of life. Very few were radical Leftists.

All you had to do to be a Hippie was grow your hair long.

One thing about being a Hippie: If you didn’t understand discrimination before, you certainly would after you grew your hair long.

I’ve had the experience of clerks following me around their store as though I was a thief, just because my hair was long, and that was strange to them at that time so they were suspicious, and did not give me the benefit of the doubt. If I had walked in with short hair and a shave, they wouldn’t have given me a second look.

I was hitchhiking through Phoenix Arizona headed for California when myself and a Hippie friend were stopped by a couple of local Phoenix police and they started harrassing us and made us take all our possesions out of our duffel bags and put them on the sidewalk. Just giving us a hard time. And then I pulled out my Army discharge papers and handed it to them, and their whole attitude changed. They let us pack everything up and let us go on our way.

The Hippie girls were wonderful, too. They made you feel better after a long day of discrimination.

To tell the truth, the discrimination wasn’t too bad. Once you talked to people, they would realize you were not crazy and then they would warm up to you for the most part. There were some who wouldn’t warm up no matter what you did. But, that’s their problem, isn’t it.

All in all, it was a good experience for me. I learned a lot of things.

Reply to  Tom Abbott
September 23, 2021 4:19 pm

there were hippies, and there were posers. the posers became the greens. The hippies cut their hair and built the internet.

Zig Zag Wanderer
Reply to  Tom Abbott
September 23, 2021 9:51 pm

Long-haired freaky people need not apply…

Michael S. Kelly
Reply to  Tom Abbott
September 24, 2021 4:34 am

+42.

bob boder
Reply to  Michael S. Kelly
September 24, 2021 5:43 am

ATheoK
Reply to  Tom Abbott
September 24, 2021 10:43 am

Quite an excellent description Tom Abbott.

I hitchhiked a lot, too.
Plus every person I met claiming to belong or were going to join some commune somewhere, this being the 1970s, I often met again within a year.
Their dream commune or is that commune dream destroyed.

A few were heading towards their next commune, most settled into the work place.

My hair was never below my shoulders and I still got flak from crew cut adults. Though as you state, talk to them, find a common ground, flash a smile and things became chummy.

I never had a problem with any state police or most local police. The times my vehicle died far from home, state police were efficient tolerant angels who helped me communicate back home for a friend to come help with light and tools.
Often the local police are just trying to keep their day different.

Like today, any news was better than no news and frankly, hard working Freaks are not newsworthy.
Unwashed activists claiming membership in a nonexistent sub society performing absurd protests is news.

Back in 1970, I attended a protest in Philadelphia that sounded interesting.
The speaker was dull, uninspiring and frequently ranted incoherently.

I was already moving to the back of the group when I noticed the army of pseudo news reporters.
They all wore dark glasses. They all had a Press card displayed on their hat or collar. Most had classic imitating fake London Fog light raincoats, the rest were in suits.
They all had cameras and often microphones.
All of them were focused on the crowd, not the speakers.

The real news reporters had small press cards and most identified the stations they represented and they focused on the speakers.

I left about then. Last protest I ever attended.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  ATheoK
September 26, 2021 5:21 am

A lot of people think the Hippies were all radical Leftwing ideologues, but most of them were just regular folks who, like I said, were just searching for the meaning of life. Which we all do anyway, whether hippie or not, the hippies just turned it into a group search..

Most of the radical Hippies were on the College campuses, and I did not frequent those places.

I was invited to a couple of Hare Krishna services while I was living in Hawaii. That was an interesting experience, but it looked a little too much like group think for my taste. The people were wonderful, but I had my own ideas, although I was interested in the way they looked at things.

That particular bout of hitchhiking I mentioned earlier, was meant to take me to Australia. My friend and I were going to work our way across on a ship so we were headed to Los Angeles to try to find one.

When we got to Los Angeles, we found out an airplane ticket was only $75 to Hawaii, so we decided to fly to Hawaii and try to catch a ship to Australia from there, but when we got to Hawaii, we liked it so much, we ended up renting a house and staying.

I never did get to Australia. Loved Hawaii! Lived on the North Shore right about halfway between Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach, and we were about 100 yards from the ocean.

A good time was had by all.

After that I cut my hair and joined the real world to get myself a job. Hawaii was a good vacation after getting out of the Army.

Last edited 2 months ago by Tom Abbott
griff
Reply to  Doonman
September 24, 2021 1:35 am

Indeed they are in their 70s and older now…

This article is about the decaying remains of the hippy communes of California and an interesting read…
The Last Glimpses of California’s Vanishing Hippie Utopias | GQ

markl
September 23, 2021 4:27 pm

Didn’t China try this once ….. albeit under duress ….. and it spectacularly failed? The Cultural Revolution killed tens of millions didn’t it?

Alan the Brit
Reply to  markl
September 24, 2021 12:20 am

We will probably never know the true extent of the mass butchery & slaughter undertaken during that particular “Cultural” revolution, Socialism is very good at hiding numbers!!!

John the Econ
September 23, 2021 4:27 pm

It’s not just China, but the spoiled upper middle class of America joining in as well:

Upper-middle-class, well-educated young Americans are getting in on the protest movement started in China. But they may not understand what it will cost them.

How long can either high-tech society survive if checking out is an economic option for individuals?

Last edited 2 months ago by John the Econ
Alan the Brit
Reply to  John the Econ
September 24, 2021 12:37 am

The revolutionary/protest movement is merely a vehicle, a means to an end, an expediency, the ultimate objective is total control over the peoples of the world, & the subsequent extortion & extraction of wealth from the peoples of the world, but before that can happen, the West must be subjugated, especially that evil wicked nation called the United States of America, the bastion of freedom & democracy, so then their beloved global one world guvment, unelected, undemocratic, unaccountable, & more importantly, unsackable, we have already started the process here on the European continent by the creation of the EEC, which mysteriously (not, it was always intended) morphed into the EU, the people making the rules & laws (& lining their wallets) are self-appointed EU Commissioners, they have a European Parliament with no teeth or law-making abilities, it is merely a symbol of democracy, tokenism. The UK is for the time being free of such totalitarianism, but for how long who knows? If any of you have a spare day or two, look up “Agenda 21”, the globalists blue-print for the future!!! “Dumbing down” of the education systems was a priority, as educated people have a higher “carbon footprint”, whatever the heck that is when it’s at home!!! Listening to much of the garbage being spouted on tv & radio & in newspapers, that “dumbing down” has been successfully achieved!!!

PCman999
September 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Atlas Shrugged! Plus 10 for citing it. Brings to mind the laughable and stupid core aim of communism, to “to seize the means of production” from the capitalist entrepreneurs who invented them in the first place. Not to long after everything stops working and the guys with the man-buns wonder what went wrong.

bonbon
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 24, 2021 1:33 am

Watch Evergrande, not Rand… See ZH….

September 23, 2021 5:36 pm

I’ll take this with a grain of salt. We know very little about what’s really happening in China. The censorship we see in the New York Times or the Washington Post is nothing compared to Beijing or Hong Kong. If you don’t believe in the U.S. censorship, try to publish any positive news about Ivermectin, like

Reply to  Curious George
September 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Oops .. in agrdailynews.com I found a recipe how to make hydroxychloroquine at home from lemons and grapefruits. Take agrdailynews with a spoon of salt.

Last edited 2 months ago by Curious George
noaaprogrammer
Reply to  Curious George
September 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Grapefruit has quinine in it, not  hydroxychloroquine.

Jeff Labute
September 23, 2021 5:47 pm

The CCP is flat out lying, while everyone else is lying flat. Immigration and fertility rate is lying flat too and is likely lower than reported. By 2050 there will be 500 million elderly in China. The Chinese have undermined themselves. But, I wouldn’t put it past them to force pregnancies as they did abortions.

commieBob
September 23, 2021 5:53 pm

China doesn’t have a labor shortage. It has a huge underutilized rural population. link ie. the problem isn’t a lack of people per se.

Sometimes I think the only people who actually understand China are the Taiwanese.

The following is attributed to a professor who spent many years in China:

When I first came to China, I thought I would spend a couple of months gathering information and write a book.

After a year or so, I thought I could get a good paper out of the experience.

Now I would settle for being able to say one cogent sentence about China.

commieBob
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 23, 2021 8:27 pm

Over my teaching career, the mainland Chinese students in my classes changed.

In the beginning they were unbelievably hard working. By the time I retired they were pretty darn ordinary.

So, something changed. Similarly, I’m guessing that a few hippies dropping out is a symptom of something else rather than a big problem by itself.

Alexy Scherbakoff
Reply to  commieBob
September 23, 2021 10:28 pm

I was teaching in a university from 2004 to 2018. They were basically lazy shits that had plagiarism down to a fine art. A few bright sparks. I felt that they were broken by their earlier schooling. Middle school and high school were horrendous for them.

commieBob
Reply to  Alexy Scherbakoff
September 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Most of the Chinese members of my family were educated in China. I have the impression that university was easy for them compared with what went before.

Philip
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Ya. The Chinese are running tech job ads in Tiawan newspapers in numbers that are competing with their obituary columns for space. 🙂

AndyHce
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 23, 2021 8:56 pm

Too many of same spying elsewhere?

ATheoK
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 24, 2021 11:04 am

Its the loss of well trained minds which is hurting them”

The problem with this statement is the sheer scale of the Chinese population.
Hundreds to thousands of young dropping out of the rat race is miniscule to the sheer size of their workforce.

Another problem is the male female ratio, especially in the age group that is dropping out.
In the age 20-24 years old there are only enough females for 870 or every 1,000 males.
That is not counting the daughters who left China to study abroad and married/emigrated out of China.

It’s China’s problem and I have zero doubt that China does not have solutions they can apply.

282119-blank-100.png
John Savage
September 23, 2021 6:08 pm

It is hard to tell from all the agitprop about China in the MSM, but if you look and listen carefully, not everything is as it seems. The demographic disaster is not far off at all, the debt driven “growth” is running out of runway, and the world has finally opened it eyes (thank you Mr. Trump) and is being more skeptical and assertive.

Marxism is an assault on the human spirit — it is not a surprise if Chinese youth start to rebel.

Philip
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 23, 2021 8:39 pm

The RMB (Yuan) will have liquidity as long as China is a key exporter to the world. The RMB is bouyed up by western dollars.
Let major western countries go back to manufacturing much of their own needs and the Chinese economy will go down the tubes quicker than the Titanic sunk. That is if China’s rising inflation and higher cost of living doesn’t drown out their ‘fixed’ economy first.

bonbon
Reply to  Philip
September 24, 2021 1:30 am

Zero-sum thinking , rather dated, what?

Last edited 2 months ago by bonbon
David A
Reply to  Eric Worrall
September 25, 2021 3:20 am

Is the US liquid?

Editor
September 23, 2021 7:30 pm

re: “it is their minds, their creativity, their mental product which China desperately needs”

Two books worth reading, about Mao’s China including the treatment of intellectuals, are Wild Swans and Mao, The Unknown Story, both by Jung Chang. They are fascinating but chilling reading, and Xi Jinping appears to be starting to drag China through his own version of Maoism.

September 23, 2021 7:30 pm

谁是约翰·高尔特?

M Courtney
Reply to  Joel O'Bryan
September 24, 2021 12:58 am

Who is John Galt?
An unrealistic flat character from a very simplistic parable about society.

Ed Zuiderwijk
Reply to  M Courtney
September 24, 2021 1:28 am

Written by someone with first-hand experience of that society.

John Savage
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
September 24, 2021 5:48 am

There are better writers on the same subject.

Ed Zuiderwijk
Reply to  John Savage
September 24, 2021 8:13 am

That is irrelevant.

Philip
September 23, 2021 8:18 pm

China’s one child policy has led to approx. 24 million more males than females. Leaving way too many males outside of the dating/marriage/reproductive envelope. How many turn to hugging trees is the least of China’s future problem. When men out number females in a given society bad things can happen fast.

India is looking at the same problem right now with their history of desiring male children above females. The advantage to the Indian male, if it can be phrased as such, is that Indian males can travel the world freely to look for “Indian” women born outside of India.
Even if the Chinese male was free to travel outside China, I can’t image too many “Chinese” women born in western countries wanting a life in China. In spite of its growing middle class.

I expect the number of “prison” gay will shoot up in China. 😉

Zig Zag Wanderer
Reply to  Philip
September 23, 2021 9:57 pm

As I understood it from touring India a couple of times, the advantage of having male children is that the family does not have to pay a dowry, it receives a dowry upon marriage. In addition, the males can provide an income, and females generally can’t, at least after marriage.

I spoke to several rural families whose female children had unfortunately deceased as infants for undisclosed reasons. This may be changing as the middle class expands with increased wealth.

Last edited 2 months ago by Zig Zag Wanderer
griff
Reply to  Philip
September 24, 2021 1:38 am

The Chinese are quite free to travel outside China…

In parts of the UK in summer it seems like most of China is visiting. In Oxfordshire inhabitants of a small village have found a constant stream of Chinese tour buses turning up on their doorsteps to be shown typical English life.

and we have tens of thousands of Chinese students

ozspeaksup
Reply to  griff
September 24, 2021 4:42 am

big bonus from lockdown aussie borders most chinese etc went home so unis have places for our own again
mind you theyre missing the massive overcharged fees they paid though;-)

Michael S. Kelly
Reply to  griff
September 24, 2021 4:43 am

My wife and I spent a week hiking in Yellowstone National Park back in 2019. The vast majority of the other tourists we saw there were Chinese. It was quite a surprise to us.

ATheoK
Reply to  Michael S. Kelly
September 24, 2021 11:27 am

Quite a few are there to drink water from one of the hot springs. We watched several Chinese visitors dip cups when they thought no-one was watching. Apparently, they seek healing from the volcanic heated mineral waters.

At Sequoia, we took a group picture for one group, about 12 people, and emailed them the picture. None of their cameras could capture the entire group inside of a burnt hollow in a sequoia tree plus the tree itself.

We didn’t see many Chinese tourists at National Reefs or other Utah National Parks. Not even Bryce Canyon. Admittedly, we only spent a day at Bryce, so it might not have been the right day.

Philip
Reply to  griff
September 24, 2021 4:59 pm

The Chinese are quite free to travel outside China…

Depends on your definition of free.

Although mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau constitute a single country, Chinese citizens do not have freedom of movement in all three jurisdictions. Each region maintains a separate immigration policy and can deny entry to or deport non-resident Chinese citizens visiting from outside that territory.
When traveling to other countries, visa-free access varies greatly depending on where a Chinese citizen is permanently resident. As of 2020, mainland Chinese residents can travel to 74 countries without a visa, Macau residents to 144, and Hong Kong residents to 170.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Philip
September 26, 2021 6:15 am

I think one has to have a certain Social Credit score in order to be able to travel outside or inside China. The worse your score is, the more restrictions are put on you.

I think the radical Left in the Western Democracies would like to implement a Social Credit score in our nations, too. They like the Chicom model of government.

Peta of Newark
September 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Puritanism. Plain & Simple. Flat out (haha) finger wagging

= what is perfectly and totally endemic now in the UK – that if someone anyone anywhere at any time is deemed to be ‘having fun‘ or ‘being lazy‘ then
It Has To Be

• Stopped or Controlled
  • Taxed and Regulated
  • Policed, Arrested
  • Jailed, Criminalised

Quite simply, you (the lazy hippy) have something I, me me me want want want and if I can’t have it, I will trash it so no-one can have it.
Selfishness and greed through and through

The contradiction is galling in that laziness and fun tend to be, as far The Climate & Emissions go, tend to be Low Impact – exactly what our own and every Western Government is constantly imploring its citizens to be.

Surely Shirley, if you me or anyone is constantly slaving away working, we must certainly be in the broadest sense, processing some ‘resource’ or the other.
That might could equally well be a physical resource such as coal, oil, iron-ore, wood, wheat/corn or it could be an intellectual resource = other poeple

But that processing is putting stress on whatever resource
We see beautifully the stress on gas resource all over Europe right, the stress on elctricity resource because of gas and also failure of wind and the French interconnector
But also the stress on human resource, especially the stress brought on by Brexit = food shortage, truck driver shortage, food worker shortages, hospitality worker shortages etc etc

But when people get stresssed, they take on behaviours to alleviate the stress and the simplest way to do that is via ‘drugs’
We all think we know what drugs are, in fact very very few people actually do. There is only one actual drug= Dopamine, maybe 2 if you include Serotonin

Problem is that all the things called drugs require ever larger doses to maintain their effect (Homeostasis) and the ‘drugs’ reveal themselves as actual physical poisons.
Thus we get and especially from the drug we all call ‘sugar’ (better known as Comfort Food) the whole litany of Modern Diseases.

You know what they all are.
Modern‘ refers to the fact that Heart Attacks were unknown until a prominent guy name of Eisenhower had one, in the mid-fifties

Go out and meet them, the Crusties as they’ve now become.
They are some THE most capitalistic money/finance savvy peeps you will ever meet. They know not only the price of everything but also its cost.
Not a single shred of Socialist fibre amongst them

Be careful, just as the concept of ‘Free Love‘ was deliberately misunderstood by (sex-obsessed but would never admit it) Puritans – so are the folks described in this story being ‘misunderstood’
They’ve got something you don’t understand, you don’t want to understand, something you imagine you may like it if you tried but you simply don’t actually trust yourself to even go there and find out.
You are worried/scared/frightened that you will fall foul of the list compiled above…
Yet you advocate what is effectively a Police State to stop them?????

THAT is The Problem.
Is a world full of worried, scared and frightened people A Good Place to be? Does that mean that ‘Things Have Never Been Better

Climate, CO2, Ozone, Diesel, CFCs etc etc are all just symptomatic of that Big Problem..

Enquiring Mind wonders – OK, well what is: The Big Problem?
(You already know, I keep telling….)

Zig Zag Wanderer
Reply to  Peta of Newark
September 23, 2021 10:02 pm

When I was a youth in Maggie’s era, unemployment was rife. I ‘chose’ to be unemployed. You didn’t even have to pretend to apply for jobs, it was that bad.

My reasoning was that I didn’t want to deprive a family’s breadwinner of a proper income by taking a job that they could take. I had no responsibilities, and didn’t need money like they did. I still think this was reasonable.

Al Kour
Reply to  Peta of Newark
September 24, 2021 8:18 am

You sugar-haters should be sat on solt/tar diet.
Take my candy from my dead cold hands.

ATheoK
Reply to  Peta of Newark
September 24, 2021 11:43 am

Is it ‘just one of those things‘ that The Hippies arrived on the scene not long after that?”

Another pseudo memory gone wrong.

In the 1950s, it was the Beatniks during Eisenhower.
The Beatniks started the whole toke up, drop out and chill baby chill. Coupled with Beatniks proposing socialist groups sharing everything.

A reaction to that is the greasers, the leather wearing, oiled hair, blue collar bike riders.

Beatniks were their own destruction, eventually morphing into the flower children of the early and mid-sixties. Hippies came during the mid 1960s and ended well before 1970.

Your drug theory is pure 1930s propaganda. If drugs worked like that, every person taking a prescription would constantly have to have higher dosages.
Nope, drugs prescriptions are really based upon weight.

Narcotic opioid users use higher levels of certain drugs to achieve the same “high”.
Not so, users of medical narcotics. e.g., millions receive the same dosage level of opioids, e.g. Oxycontin/Tylenol, often for years.

David A
Reply to  Peta of Newark
September 25, 2021 3:31 am

All I know is you are confused, don’t know who you are lecturing, and cannot write coherently.

Kemaris
September 23, 2021 9:40 pm

Yeah, I thought I recognized the page image.

“Fire’s semen, fire’s semen, make the baby grow.”

Brad
September 24, 2021 12:29 am

Wow, all these comments are very confusing, think I’ll keep “lying flat” with my dogs

bonbon
September 24, 2021 1:00 am

Meanwhile back in the real world – there will be quite a few offshore firms flattened :

Perhaps this is causing uproar in hallowed boardrooms : The supreme irony of the libertarian free-marketeers – howling for state bailouts, and nominally communist China saying let the market handle it! Hilarious!
—–
Way back when the hippies appeared, we had Bretton-Woods, Glass-Steagall bank separation, and a booming economy. Today China has still bank separation and a booming BRI economy, but Nixon stopped Bretton-Woods (China was not included) in 1971. China’s version of the Anglo-US hippie back-to-nature, the antithesis of today’s Confucianism, is well known through the ages, always leading to disaster : the Gang of Four cultural disaster is still a vivid memory.

bob boder
September 24, 2021 5:38 am

“The USA and the West eventually accepted the hippie movement, and the movement itself lost a lot of momentum. Some hippies are still around, but more as part of the landscape than as agents of radical change.”

They turned in to do nothing academics and government employees living of the tax payers and preaching communism.

BrianB
Reply to  bob boder
September 24, 2021 7:40 am

If only they were do nothing.
They and their New Left “values” tunneled into every institution in the West and rotted them out like termites in your basement.

ATheoK
Reply to  BrianB
September 24, 2021 11:56 am

That is courtesy of organized groups like Audubon, Sierra Club, WWF and Greenpeace all took serious looks at infiltrating key institutions and agencies, along with supporting activist politicians.

farmerbraun
Reply to  ATheoK
September 24, 2021 6:02 pm

George Soros took to funding the organic movement , which grew out of the hippie thing.
I know this for sure ; I hosted part of their excursion down under

ATheoK
September 24, 2021 9:21 am

How do you convince members of a growing back to nature hippie movement to go back to work? Sure, China could round them up and force them at gunpoint to join the Uyghur slaves mining coal or picking cotton in Xinjiang”

For decades, China sent their urban populations out to assist in farming communities, from Spring through Autumn.

When the harvest was complete, most of those sent from the cities returned to the cities.
The citizens deemed lazy, dim witted, slow worker, pissed off the local Red Comrades, etc. were refused transportation to or even lodgings in the cities.

Young Chinese have no idea about these older policies and tend to disbelieve. Fifty year old and older Chinese do remember, but tend to keep their mouths shut.

I have no doubt that China will find work for these drop-outs in less desirable locations.

Neo
September 24, 2021 10:46 am

I’ve seen this described as “Lying Down”.
There is a basic economics behind the movement.
There really isn’t a social safety net in China, so dependence on relatives is important.
With the “One Child” system, a married couple (of two “One Children”) may have to support up to 4 parents and whatever number of children (China now allows up to 3). This is 6 to 9 persons on whatever wages the couple can make. This is not shared among multiple couples because up until recent, there was no possibility of other siblings, so no other couples.
This gets worse when you realize due to parental desires, there are more unmarried men than unmarried women.
This puts a heavy burden on these couples.
Add into the mix that many Chinese now believe the era of major growth is over.
These couples are feeling trapped.

Last edited 2 months ago by Neo
Bloke down the pub
September 25, 2021 4:38 am

Stroud UK, where I hail from, still has more than its fair share of hippies. It has given the world both Dale Vince, recipient of govt subsidies for his energy interests, and the founding members of XR.