Massachusetts city to post climate change warning stickers at gas stations

From The Guardian

Bright yellow stickers warn drivers burning of gasoline has ‘major consequences on human health and the environment’

Cambridge, Massachusetts, has become the first US city to mandate the placing of stickers on fuel pumps to warn drivers of the resulting dangers posed by the climate crisis.

Stickers placed on fuel pumps in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Photograph: City of Cambridge

The final design of the bright yellow stickers, shared with the Guardian, includes text that warns drivers the burning of gasoline, diesel and ethanol has “major consequences on human health and the environment including contributing to climate change”.

The stickers will be placed on all fuel pumps in Cambridge, which is situated near Boston and is home to Harvard University, “fairly soon” once they are received from printers, a city spokesman confirmed.

“The city of Cambridge is working hard with our community to fight climate change,” the spokesman added. “The gas pump stickers will remind drivers to think about climate change and hopefully consider non-polluting options.”

The placement of the stickers follows an ordinance passed by Cambridge in January. The city has a target of slashing planet-heating emissions by 80% and offsetting the remainder by 2050, making it carbon neutral.

Read the full article here.

HT/Climate Depot

4.5 4 votes
Trying to Play Nice
December 27, 2020 6:15 am

There used to be a great university in Cambridge. It’s now been reduced to a propaganda center for Marxists. I’m sure no gas station will file a lawsuit, but it would be interesting to force the city to prove their climate change statement.

Klem
Reply to  Trying to Play Nice
December 27, 2020 6:21 am

I’m pretty sure all they’d need to do is refer to the the EPAs endangerment finding.

Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  Klem
December 27, 2020 10:52 am

And the endangerment finding began as Mass. sued the EPA to make it happen.

JerryC
Reply to  Trying to Play Nice
December 27, 2020 7:30 am

Harvard always sucked.

Bruce Cobb
Reply to  JerryC
December 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Oh well, there’s always Yale.

Peter W
Reply to  Trying to Play Nice
December 27, 2020 7:59 am

I spent a couple of years at that “great university” (M.I.T.) back around 1960 getting a Masters degree, and it was just as bad back then. I had to learn to go along with them in order to get my degree. Paul Samuelson, there at the time, was the author of the most widely used textbook on economics. In the 1981 edition he stated that it was a vulgar mistake to think that most people in eastern Europe were miserable, and claimed that the Soviet economy had made great progress in recent years. Lester Thurow, another economics professor there, claimed that the economic achievements of the Soviet Union favorably compared with those of the U.S.
Galbraith of Harvard was no better.

Steve Case
Reply to  Peter W
December 27, 2020 8:42 am

I expect that a lot of people know some one who escaped to the United States from an iron curtain country. For me it’s three separate couples who got out of Poland, and Czechoslovakia.

One of the couples walked out of Czechoslovakia over the mountains. All they had was a motor bike which they trashed on the journey. One of the guys who worked at the same place I did, had a little celebration marking 25 years of freedom here in the US. He said to me at the time, “You have no idea how good you have it here.”

His wife who also worked at the same place and when Czechoslovakia got rid of its Communist government, she said in her heavy Czech accent, “I feel so sorry for doze people, dey gonna haff to verk now!” The phrase “They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.” comes to mind.

Reply to  Steve Case
December 28, 2020 10:54 am

Sometimes it’s not such a happy ending….

WSJ
HONG KONG—A Chinese court imposed a four-year prison term on a citizen journalist who documented how Covid-19 ravaged the city where the coronavirus was first detected, in a case that underscores the lengths to which Beijing has defended its official narrative of the pandemic.
Zhang Zhan, 37 years old, was convicted of “picking quarrels and provoking trouble” after a roughly 2½-hour trial at the Shanghai Pudong New Area People’s Court on Monday, where prosecutors accused her of spreading falsehoods about the coronavirus pandemic through social-media posts and interviews with overseas media, her lawyers said.

—————–

One Chinese friend of mine had no intention of going back. His grandfather was shot for stealing food during the Cultural Revolution.

My other Chinese friend spend 10 years in an underground coal mine for his crime during the Cultural Revolution for having some university training.

Gordon A. Dressler
Reply to  Trying to Play Nice
December 27, 2020 8:07 am

Careful with what you are implying . . . MIT is also in the Cambridge, MA, area and they had Professor Richard Lindzen there as Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology from 1983 until his retirement in 2013.

I am sure Prof. Lindzen would have some “un-complimentary” things to say about the sign discussed in the above article

Peter W
Reply to  Gordon A. Dressler
December 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Lindzen knew what he was talking about on the subject of climate change, and was not afraid to speak up. Have you noticed that he is no longer associated with MIT? The question is, did he leave voluntarily, or was he pushed away? The general tendency is for retired profs to maintain their association with their last university.

A few years ago one of the professors at MIT, in Industrial Management, gave an on-line presentation which parroted all the garbage from the IPCC of that time. At that point I gave up, and stopped making an annual donation in return for the degree in that specialty I had received years earlier. Well, it had gotten me a decent first job, based primarily on the MIT reputation in the market. The only useful thing I received was a decent basis in the principles of accounting, and a starting position as an administrative assistant to a department head. And I can do my own income taxes.

Neo
Reply to  Trying to Play Nice
December 28, 2020 7:08 am

There should be one of these yellow stickers on the gas cap of every city vehicle.

DonM
Reply to  Neo
December 28, 2020 11:04 am

A lot of City & County departments have their own fuel service areas for their Public Works Departments. If Cambridge has such, did they sticker their own pumps?

Does the fire dept have their own fuel pumps? Are there any boat fueling areas?

Maybe they have covered all of this and they are not the hypocrites that they appear.

December 27, 2020 6:16 am

They’re taking their leadership role seriously, similar to the City of Berkeley where researchers findings regularly become public policy.

December 27, 2020 9:57 am

You make it sound like you actually believe that these “public policies” benefit anyone other than the politicians that implement them.

Reply to  MarkW
December 27, 2020 11:29 am

I do I live in the Bay Area, am friends with a family member of the Rep. from Berkeley, volunteer for kpfa and vote on props that pass such legislation . Berkeley is an institution for a reason, it educates and enlightens its citizens through the various outreach programs, transportation policies, we write sustainability into law.

Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Given humanity’s penchant for progress, today’s “sustainability” will be tomorrow’s folly. Its really smart to write today’s transitory belief into law.

Reply to  Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Stamped, there its done ✔ Wow now all u need is a cooperate sponsor you can sell your soul to….

December 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Typical progressive.
Anyone who disagrees with you has sold their soul to a corporation.
In what passes for your puny little mind, it is simply impossible for you are your fellow travelers to be wrong.
How long until the re-education camps are opened?

TonyG
Reply to  MarkW
December 28, 2020 9:29 am

Well, I’ve already heard talk, so probably not long now.

December 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Maybe you could help me locate vintage photos and news accounts of the war protest in Berkeley. It was the one just prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Reply to  ResourceGuy
December 27, 2020 2:22 pm

I would be honored to assist you any way I can. My suggestion? Check with the Berkeley Historical Society as well. They are a great resource for relevant content.

December 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Answer is non-responsive to the question asked.
Regardless, the claim that Berkley educates anyone is not proven. Indoctrinates is more like it. And you have drunk deeply of the poisonous kool-aide.

Reply to  MarkW
December 27, 2020 11:31 am

Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Look up Rep Skinner of Berkeley. Her office alone has made benchmarks in progress on social justice, environmental, health, sustainability, homeless advocacy…” Meanwhile, the average person’s life goes to shit. Great progress.

DipChip
Reply to  Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 2:19 pm

Barbara Lee’s district is not experiencing Social Justice, It is well on the road to Social Collapse. When 90% support the the lost 10% life is good. When 10% support the lost 90% you have a situation that is the future in California’s District 13.

Reply to  Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 2:27 pm

I get the pessimism, it works in the moment albeit not too productive in my book. Positive reinforcement drives the vehicle (self talk). Well throw in electro charged potassium

Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Happy self talk drives the vehicle into the ditch of reality. Leftists keep reinventing things that never worked in the past, add in happy talk and convince the young and ignorant that this is the wave of the future. Socialism always fails.

Reply to  Dave Fair
December 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Obviously, all you need to get socialism to work is maintain a positive attitude.

December 27, 2020 7:42 pm

And at last you see the core values of progressivism.
It doesn’t matter in the slightest whether the solutions being pushed work or not. All that matters is that the person doing the pushing feel good about themselves when they are done.

Reply to  MarkW
December 28, 2020 7:26 am

I’m over labels, hashtags, progressive/conservative ad hominem, etc…swift,decisive & practical has a way of cutting through self deception and bias

December 28, 2020 9:36 am

In my experience, those who claim to not be about labels, are all about labels. It’s just that they aren’t honest enough to admit it.

Your talk reveals what you are, even if you lack the courage (or honesty) to admit it.

December 27, 2020 1:27 pm

I see MA is set to lose a congressional seat and 3 in NY.

Reply to  ResourceGuy
December 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Oh well, I’ve become the state of Missouri, show me

December 27, 2020 6:51 pm

No, you look up. It’s in the news with a 50 state map of gainers, losers, and no-change states.

December 27, 2020 7:44 pm

The data from the most recent census is available for anyone with the courage to look.

December 27, 2020 7:41 pm

In other words, she is an expert in wasting other people’s money and time and has never benefited anyone except herself and various close relatives.

Reply to  MarkW
December 27, 2020 7:46 pm

No, she is the representative for Berkeley, yah know where all the research happens, gloomy dispositions take care of pesky humans but don’t take your eye off the ball. The scientific method is responsible for everything that manifests around you. Its just dynamics and changes. Roll with it, but critical that’s a good trait man. One love

observa
December 28, 2020 7:12 am

How’s the climate changing going? That’s the hubris of leftys. Whenever you suck locally and nationally with gulags to keep people in line and walls to keep them in then simply move on and aspire globally.

Personally I don’t think Greta will cut it as your next Global Fearless Leader with the Great Leap Forward as Xi Jinping has his eye on the job and the muscle behind him. Yo’all keep grooming up Greta the Great however while we clean our guns and get in the ammo fuel and backup gennys.

Reply to  observa
December 28, 2020 7:19 am

Greta is an Autistic child that you just insulted in your eagerness to prove a point that stands on nothing but bull sh*t and lies. I don’t know who hurt you to the point where u feel its appropriate to act like that. No charm, empathy or need to understand anything when you can rest in your whiteness. Get over it dude, I’m you’re suffering, we all are. You mind want to look at the behavior, just trying to be a source of positivity, not liberalism. Thats an assumption dude. I f*cking hate Pelosi. Be safe 🙏

Lrp
December 28, 2020 9:30 am

If she’s disabled in any way, she should be under professional supervision, in care; more fools the people who look up to her as some sort of modern oracle transcending reason.

December 28, 2020 9:40 am

So what if Greta was insulted. She inserted herself onto the international stage when she claimed to speak for all children everywhere. When you do that, you better be prepared to take the slings and arrows that come with it.
As to you hating Pelosi, most communists do, she isn’t radical enough for them.

Reply to  MarkW
December 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Communist? You don’t even know who I am but you’ve pegged me because you are all knowing? I’m a veterans rights activist who comes from a military family and military town. What have u done for your country man? That is a question, not an arrow. You see that’s the difference between having a discussion & waging war. And as they say live by the sword…

December 28, 2020 3:27 pm

I’m just an average joe who goes to work everyday and produces products that people want to buy.

In my experience, rights activists just go around whining that the world refuses to behave as their ideals say it should. For the most part they find excuses for why people who never bothered to learn and have an aversion to working hard have failed to become rich. They are worse then useless and have created much death and destruction in their wake.

Reply to  MarkW
December 30, 2020 9:33 pm

Great argument

December 28, 2020 9:38 am

All the research happens? Really, all of it?

Once again the progressive declares that those who disagree with their belief that only more government can save the world, are being gloomy.
I agree that the scientific method has created many wonders.
I disagree that you know what the scientific method is. Both climate science and progressivism reject the scientific method, because it doesn’t get them where they want to go.

Richard Page
December 27, 2020 9:29 pm

See – I think you made your first significant mistake right there. What ‘leadership role’? Educators have, and always will have, a support role in teaching and pushing society forward through knowledge and enquiry. One thing they shouldn’t ever attempt to do (as they are singularly ill-equipped to do so) is lead – that is a job that should be left to the elected representatives of the citizens.

Reply to  Richard Page
December 28, 2020 3:43 am

The current state of affairs worldwide is baby demagog one fighting with baby remagog two to control who gets to rule the remote control. My moneys on Kim Jung Un…Asians tend to stick together

December 28, 2020 9:41 am

What’s the color of the sky in your world dude?

Reply to  MarkW
December 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Sky? The f*ck is that bruh? You can’t see it where I’m at under all the weed smoke. ✌

December 28, 2020 3:28 pm

At least that would explain your inability to form a coherent argument.

Reply to  MarkW
December 28, 2020 5:04 pm

No it’s because I’m a black man, isn’t it obvious….

DonM
December 28, 2020 3:31 pm

You think southern Bubba is a big ‘ol ignorant bigot with an underlying racist streak all the way through, right?

Do you have a clue about the current and historic racial & cultural divisions in Asia? Compared to your assumed getalong gang, Bubba is singing kum-bay-ya all day long.

You really are one confused anti, aren’t you?

Reply to  DonM
December 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Well considering that I’m a gay bi racial (part Japanese American) man in America who adopted by an all white family, who has lived in every economic condition known to man? Nah what the hell could I understand about racial tensions. And for the record, I come from a southern family. True Southerners are wonderfully down to earth, resourceful people. Even God fearing, they made sure to keep their clandestine kkk affairs hidden from the children.

DonM
December 30, 2020 11:54 am

Your southern family adopted a bi racial kid (in an effort to hide their KKK affairs? Or because they God Fearing?).

True Southerners are great folks (its the Fake Southerners that are the baddies).

You lived in every economic condition (congratulations on your escape from slavery & bondage); your life perspective is so varied and great that I can’t even fathom what you are saying.

Or Robbie, mebbe it is just because you are nuts.

Reply to  DonM
December 30, 2020 1:42 pm

If you look into clan activities and they were held it was mostly church’s. As for my family they’re wonderfully charming, witty and fun. My grandaddy was a good ole boy, but a true southern gentleman in every regard & my grandmother the Georgia peace at his side. I have yet to hear one positive remark, whats going on man? Seriously are u ok? If sh*ts going down I am more than willing to talk on the phone. Otherwise let’s try to keep it civil please. Happy New Year

Gregory Woods
December 27, 2020 6:34 am

There are a lot of jokers in Cambridge, it seems….

John the Econ
December 27, 2020 6:37 am

I’m sure it will make a big difference. So glad that they’ve finally solved all of their big problems and now have the time and resources to be laser-focused on silliness like this.

Michael in Dublin
December 27, 2020 6:42 am

If there was a total ban on gasoline, diesel and ethanol, many people that need to be rushed to hospital would not get there. Just image a return to horse drawn ambulance carts. Those calling for the abolition would be the very first to complain when they cannot get adequate medical services.

Scissor
Reply to  Michael in Dublin
December 27, 2020 8:22 am

Look at some of the specials at the local Wholefoods Market: caviar; shrimp; pineapple; avocados; Chilean Sea Bass; etc. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/somerville

Do not each of these food iems need a similar warning label due to their transportation by fossil fuel powered vehicles?

starzmom
Reply to  Michael in Dublin
December 27, 2020 1:05 pm

When horses plied the streets they were very dirty and smelly. It wasn’t just horse drawn ambulances–it was horse drawn everything.

Reply to  starzmom
December 27, 2020 7:45 pm

These will be progressive horses. They are neither dirty nor smelly.
I know because the great thinkers at Harvard and Berkley have assured me.

Last edited 7 months ago by MarkW
Reply to  Michael in Dublin
December 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Good point

John Bell
December 27, 2020 6:43 am

What do they expect regular folks to do?? Just stay at home and starve? WTF!? I would make a similar looking sticker with my own message on it and stick it over top of theirs. Bwa-ha-ha!

Retired_Engineer_Jim
Reply to  John Bell
December 27, 2020 1:44 pm

There is always the T.

Gary Pearse
December 27, 2020 6:51 am

Fortunately, the Gullible Warming wolk don’t do guile. Too obvious to even have the rank of poker ‘tell’. A big mistake in the AGW cases against Exxon and Mobil was that the states were guilty of what they were charging the companies with. They didn’t include assessments of the effect of warming on state bond yields sold to investors!

John
December 27, 2020 6:52 am

Burning fossil fuels has probably done more to improve human health and well-being than any other single development in the last 250 years.
We are now living in the Twilight Zone.

Mikee
Reply to  John
December 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Vaccines top my list of improvements to.human health.

PaulH
December 27, 2020 6:52 am

I wonder, where are those stickers manufactured? I assume it’s all local, right? There cannot possibly be any China-made elements in those bright yellow stickers, right? 😉

Redge
Reply to  PaulH
December 28, 2020 1:11 am

And what are those self-adhesive stickers made out of?

Reply to  PaulH
December 28, 2020 7:44 am

Do the stickers have the union logo on them as with all printed materials from Dems?

John Bell
December 27, 2020 6:53 am

And you can bet the lefties pushing those stickers use fossil fuels every day, every day, every day!! But they are special people and they get a free pass because they are doing the good work of telling us little people to stop using fossil fuels. FLAMING climate hypocrites. AAARRGGHH!

Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  John Bell
December 27, 2020 10:56 am

“FLAMING climate hypocrites.” Mass. is full of them. As a forester, I constantly fight these idiots who now want to stop all forest mgt. to save the planet- while enjoying their huge wood homes loaded with nice wood furniture and paper products- when they’re not jetting around the world to stop forest mgt.

Joel O'Bryan
December 27, 2020 6:56 am

Apparently they have never considered the consequences to our modern life of not burning fossil fuels.
Morons. All of them. But then they are the same kind of IYI’s that vote for senators Pocahontas and the low-IQ Markey.

Last edited 7 months ago by joelobryan
TonyG
Reply to  Joel O'Bryan
December 27, 2020 12:02 pm

From what I’ve seen, they just assume everything will work out because – magic, i guess?

very old white guy
December 27, 2020 7:08 am

sure is no shortage of stupid out there.

Ed Zuiderwijk
December 27, 2020 7:08 am

Stickers can be put by skeptics too. Suggest this text:

You have been told porkies.
There is no ‘climate emergency’
It is a political fiction.

Just attach sticker to yellow pkate after you have topped up.

Russell Cook
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
December 27, 2020 8:27 am

Plus, there’s plenty of open space on the sticker to write in the urls to skeptic websites with a Sharpie pen. Brilliant of the sticker designers not to make the background areas black to mitigate the occurrence of rebuttal notes on the stickers.

Janice Moore

DRIVE A SUV

Redge
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
December 28, 2020 1:21 am

This sticker is made from 100% recycled natural products

Courtesy of Big Oil

(So is the plastic in your EV)

TonyL
December 27, 2020 7:09 am

It makes one long for the days of catastrophic sea level rise. Boston Harbor will rise up and drown them all. Even at 10 feet/century, I am sure that they are too stupid to get out of the way.

Good times again.

As an aside:
Cambridge has also declared itself to be a “Nuclear Free Zone”, apparently to ward off nuclear attack by the Soviet Union. The nuclear prohibition extends further to nuclear reactors. They seem utterly unaware of the research reactor operated by MIT.

Scissor
Reply to  TonyL
December 27, 2020 8:30 am
Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  TonyL
December 27, 2020 10:59 am

I believe all the reactors here in Mass. have been shut down. Meanwhile, they’re busy paving over the state’s wonderful forest land with solar “farms”- while simultaneously claiming we must lock up the forests- so they’ll do nothing but sequester carbon – to save the planet. Just don’t try to point out the absurdity of these contradictory objectives because they won’t listen.

TonyL
Reply to  Joseph Zorzin
December 27, 2020 12:52 pm

@ Scissor:
Yes, Boston has grown greatly since it’s humble beginnings as the fishing village known as “Shawmut” in the 1600s. And in the face of 2 feet of SLR since then!!!!!!
The Old-Timers around here know that the Back Bay neighborhood used to be a bay. It was filled in with debris from the Quincy Quarry. The Fenway, home of the Red Sox, used to be a fen, a swamp.
Turn around is fair play. Spoil from Boston’s Big Dig was disposed of in the old Quincy Quarry. We do not expect the Boston tunnels to be affected by sea level rise, as they are already under water, going underneath the harbor and all.

Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  TonyL
December 28, 2020 4:11 am

“The MIT reactor is alive and well, running 24/7 and available for wide ranging experiments.” That reactor is ancient. I saw in it ‘ 67 as my high school took a field trip to MIT and saw it.

Reply to  Joseph Zorzin
December 28, 2020 9:43 am

The building may be ancient, that isn’t evidence that the reactor itself is.

Local anti-nuke kooks forced Ga Tech to tear down their reactor several decades ago.

pwwatson8888
December 27, 2020 7:12 am

These poor deluded idiots are governed by one thing alone and that is fear. Deeply rooted to that is the fear of their own death. The majority of the sticker people no doubt are full on in support of murdering the Unborn so apart from the hopeless “Science” (falsely so called) which shows there is insufficient capability to Go Green, they need prayer – they are as the people were in Nineveh – they know not their right hand from their left and they are lost. ALL of you / them should watch Professor Mark Mills from Prager U on his Podcast “Unobtanium”. We have bred a generation of people who are too stupid to be in charge of a swimming pool.

dodgy geezer
December 27, 2020 7:12 am

…the burning of gasoline, diesel and ethanol has “major consequences on human health…

Why, yes. This keeps us warm in winter, cool in summer, helps us make medicines, build hospitals and power our ambulances…

Barnes Moore
December 27, 2020 7:25 am

Were those stickers made out of petroleum based materials? Shouldn’t they post a warning about that too?

Scissor
Reply to  Barnes Moore
December 27, 2020 8:31 am

“Warning: this warning label is made from carbon containing materials.”

MikeHig
December 27, 2020 7:28 am

It would be fun to devise a climate-sceptic sticker of the same size, colouring and general layout with an appropriate message. Maybe it could say something about the hypocrisy of turning food into fuel when there are millions starving in the world, along with climate change being nothing to worry about, etc..
Hopefully there are enough sceptics in the area to carry out a cover-up campaign?

Reminds me of university days when hoardings etc used to carry a police message: “Bill stickers will be prosecuted” which were always defaced with graffiti comments like “Bill Stickers is innocent!”.

DipChip
December 27, 2020 7:32 am

The burning of gasoline, diesel and ethanol has “major consequences on human health”; very true, sustains their life in spite of the freezing Winter conditions.

Thomas Gasloli
December 27, 2020 7:36 am

On the bright side, since they listed “ethanol” I guess that means they finally realized corn based ethanol isn’t a “green” fuel.

Pflashgordon
December 27, 2020 7:44 am

Not only Harvard, Cambridge is also home to MIT, who have also drunk the Kool-Aid. I wouldn’t send my grandchildren there even if they were offered free-ride scholarships.

By the way, speaking as one of those evil Southerners (who has traveled most of these United States), I found Boston, despite its marvelous history, to be one of the most bigoted, racist cities I have ever visited. They have far bigger problems than vehicle emissions.

Prjindigo
December 27, 2020 7:53 am

If they simply ban diesel because of it’s *primary* health risks, the whole city will be a better place. Diesel kills children, the elderly and people with lung problems.

Derg
Reply to  Prjindigo
December 27, 2020 10:19 am

I thought Covid killed people with lung conditions 😜

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Derg
December 27, 2020 10:58 am

People with lung conditions are a general target for many, many environmental hazards.

Reply to  Prjindigo
December 27, 2020 7:50 pm

The claim that PM 2.5 kills is nothing more than a model projection.
No real world data supports it.

Gordon A. Dressler
December 27, 2020 7:54 am

Coming next, the following bright yellow sign with red text at all municipal swimming pools:

“WARNING
Splashing in water and dripping it onto surrounding pool surfaces adds additional water vapor to the atmosphere. Water vapor is scientifically recognized as being the predominate greenhouse gas in Earth’s atmosphere, with consequences that include contributing to climate change.”

Steve Keohane
December 27, 2020 7:54 am

For Christmas I received a hand held two speed food pureeing tool. It had a California State warning sticker that this appliance may cause cancer or birth defects. The stupid runs long and deep.

TonyG
Reply to  Steve Keohane
December 27, 2020 12:06 pm

My son’s new “anti-cancer” (cancer inhibiting I guess) firefighting gear came with the California warning that it may cause cancer…

CD in Wisconsin
December 27, 2020 7:56 am

New sticker to post in strategic areas around the City of Cambridge, Massachusetts:

************************************************WARNING*********************************************

“The City of Cambridge has ignorantly decided that it there is a climate emergency and that it should take action on it. The emergency does not exist. Be aware that their actions can be potentially dangerous to your economic and financial well-being while doing nothing for the climate. The scientific illiteracy of Cambridge city officials should be taken into consideration before taking seriously anything city officials say or do on the subject of climate.”

I am still debating what color I would make the sticker (suggestions accepted). Too bad that the Patriots won’t be in the NFL playoffs this season for the first time in many years (sarc).

Notanacademic
Reply to  CD in Wisconsin
December 27, 2020 8:24 am

Green would be good cos the resulting co2 will help the greening of the planet. Their sticker should be brown cos it stinks of BS

Coach Springer
December 27, 2020 7:57 am

Where is Facebook censorship when you need it?

Seriously, someone ought to post another sticker advising of some pertinent facts such as the absence of major consequences, the amount of global warming to be theoretically avoided if all of Massachusetts stops driving, and the major consequences of not driving.

Olen
December 27, 2020 8:02 am

A more useful warning would be don’t sniff the gasoline while smoking.

Curious George
December 27, 2020 8:06 am

Will hamburger places get stickers next?

Rasmussen
December 27, 2020 8:13 am

Dang. I overslept, and it’s april 1 st. 2021….

Walter Sobchak
December 27, 2020 8:18 am

The easiest and best way for Cambridge MA to reduce CO2 production would be for it to shut down Harvard. Getting rid of the noxious gases emited by its students and faculty would be a win win for the whole country.

rickk
December 27, 2020 8:21 am

Whew! existential crisis averted…now can someone put another log on the fire, turn up the furnace, bump up the thermostat for the radiators

aaron
December 27, 2020 8:22 am

If they ever want to be taken seriously, they’d do this to reduce fuel consumption and traffic, shorten drive times.

Nothing would do more to reduce fuel consumption & traffic than to get people to accelerate faster, pay attention & avoid using brakes. After that, get rid of speed limits & instead have adjustable Target Speeds. And, get rid of unnecessary stop sign.

Fuel economy is best under two conditioins:

1} Very light load, and low RPMs. Like when maintaining speed.

2} Under heavy load, RPMs near 3-4000. Brisk Acceleration This graph shows greatest realized work is done per fuel consumed here. https://x-engineer.org/automotive-engineering/internal-combustion-engines/performance/brake-specific-fuel-consumption-bsfc/

”It’s not commonly understood by people who drive,” Dr. Dougherty said. ”They think that the way to get best fuel economy is to accelerate very gently, but that proves not to be the case. The best thing is to accelerate briskly and shift.”

Last edited 7 months ago by aaron
bonbon
December 27, 2020 8:32 am

This is a cats paw for what Davos fully intends.
Try paying for gas with your green-vetted credit card, and the till will ask confirmation you have read the warning, with multiple choice. Wrong answer, well your green point rating drops for the amount you just tanked. Then your green digital wallet will be reset and you can tank again!

All of this is between the words of Mark Carney’s Greening the Finance System announced at Jackson Hole last August. They will open a few more Gorey Details at the Jan’21 Davos Special.

So it is pretty clear Harvard is actually running a feasibility study. Someone in there is on board with “science” to back up Davos.

Green Digital Wallets, anybody?

Notanacademic
Reply to  bonbon
December 27, 2020 10:58 am

I have a feeling after the great reset one of the things we will be happy about not owning will be a car.

Notanacademic
Reply to  Notanacademic
December 27, 2020 11:03 am

Forgot sarc but I reckon you knew that

aaron
December 27, 2020 8:38 am

What kind of hack newspaper doesn’t allow comments?

TonyG
Reply to  aaron
December 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Most of them anymore. They didn’t like what people were saying (calling them out on their BS mainly)

leitmotif
December 27, 2020 8:40 am

You would expect a photo of blackened lungs at the very least.

Matt
December 27, 2020 8:45 am

Harved got Juiced in the late 80s and its been crab ever since. They destroyed Harvard Sq as well.

Stephen Skinner
December 27, 2020 9:10 am

Is this the same city where MIT and Harvard reside? Places of ‘higher’ learning?
“Too much of what is called ’education’ is little more than an expensive isolation from reality.” T. Sowell
“Intellectuals have many skills which enable them to evade the testing of what they believe” T. Sowell
“The road to hell is paved with Ivy League degrees” T. Sowell

SAMURAI
December 27, 2020 9:18 am

These insane Leftist fools forget the incredible: economic, social, technical aeronautical, maritime, textile, transportation, industrial,electronic, pharmaceuticals, distribution, international trade, medical, longevity, agricultural, health, etc., BENEFITS fossil fuels have contributed to the world since the industrial revolution.

Take a minute and look at the all the objects in your room.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of those objects exist because of fossil fuels.

Leftists have completely lost their minds….

Editor
December 27, 2020 9:19 am

Climate crisis, what climate crisis?

Climate changes anyway, whether we use gasoline or not.

This crap from a big college town, oh boy!

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Sunsettommy
December 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Exactly! Change is the default state of the dynamic collection of weather events they inaccurately call the “global climate”. Some areas are undergoing an almost continuous change while others there’s been no significant change for centuries… even possibly millennia.

Retired_Engineer_Jim
December 27, 2020 9:36 am

“The city of Cambridge is working hard with our community to fight climate change,” the spokesman added.”

Apparently, the “city of Cambridge” is separate and distinct from “the community”?

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Retired_Engineer_Jim
December 27, 2020 3:35 pm

In what way can they possibly be “fighting” to change a state that is part its description? Climate is literally the average of natural changes in a particular location. ow can that be “fought”?

DonM
Reply to  Retired_Engineer_Jim
December 28, 2020 4:03 pm

You nailed it Jim.

TEWS_Pilot
December 27, 2020 9:36 am

Are they going to put the same stickers on EV charging stations too? What about windmills and solar panels?

BallBounces
December 27, 2020 10:24 am

You mean the city knows there are major health consequences and isn’t stopping sales???!!!

Nik
December 27, 2020 10:27 am

There is a bright side; maybe taxpayers will no longer have to subsidize the burning of food (and the inefficient use of water used to grow it).

On the other hand, drivers will fill up elsewhere.

markl
December 27, 2020 10:57 am

The alarmists sit around thinking of ways to curb fossil fuel use yet they turn a blind eye to the many ways their lifestyle, and sometimes their very life, is made possible by using them.

fred250
December 27, 2020 10:58 am

Oh look, a pretty yellow sticker with text too small to be bothered reading.

How many smokers ignore the warning on their cigarette packets !

This sort of child-minded virtue seeking is so passé and irrelevant. !

fred250
December 27, 2020 11:00 am

If they REALLY want to make a point, why not issue ration cards for petrol.

See how well that goes down with the public. 🙂

Tom Abbott
December 27, 2020 11:15 am

I could see myself pulling up to a pump with one of those stickers on it, and while I was filling up, I would write a little note on the sticker with my sharpie marker saying: “This is all a Hoax! Signed: Mother Nature.

old engineer
December 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Don’t think they’ll need many stickers. A quick check shows the area of Cambridge, Mass. is 6.2 square miles, so roughly 4 miles by 1.5 miles. How many gas stations can there be?

I suspect those using the gas pumps will pay about as much attention to the sticker as smokers do to the Surgeon General’s warning on a pack of cigarettes.

Quinn
December 27, 2020 12:52 pm

I would like to see a “reverse boycott” of gas stations in Cambridge. Everyone in surrounding cities and towns should drive to Cambridge to buy their gas.

Dave Fair
December 27, 2020 1:13 pm

If its that bad, why not ban such fuels outright? Or are there benefits to using such fuels? Why not list the benefits along with assumed negatives? Or do they not want people to get a balanced perspective?

December 27, 2020 1:13 pm

The Chinese can’t belief their eyes watching the decline of the West while their own efforts were already on track to surpass competitors.

Jeffrey H Kreiley
December 27, 2020 1:26 pm

How were these stickers made, how were they transferred to these gas stations I wonder?

DonM
Reply to  Jeffrey H Kreiley
December 28, 2020 4:05 pm

They need an asterisk, with the associated reminder that the yellow sticker is made without any oil based products, that it is not harmful to society or the environment, and the sticker itself was delivered to by volunteers that walked to each site in grass/bark sandals.

Steven Curtis Lohr
December 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Yep, just about as useful as California prop. 65 warnings, which are on everything from coffee to fishing lures.

Robber
December 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Why don’t they simply ban hydrocarbon-fuelled cars and trucks, and see how many people decide to leave due to lack of food?

December 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Official graffiti as opposed to their formative years

December 27, 2020 2:21 pm

You’ve been ‘Grubbered’

Tom Morrow
December 27, 2020 2:27 pm

If you cannot determine how much it is contributing to “climate change”, then you don’t have any scientific data to support claiming fossil fuels make ANY contribution to the fiction of climate change.

RLC
December 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Maybe the providers of gasoline should no longer sale their products in the city limits.

David S
December 27, 2020 3:12 pm

If ethanol is a problem then why are we forcing gasoline companies to add it to their gasoline?
About 40% of the corn crop is used to make ethanol https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/ethanol-market-is-disturbing-as-hell-to-american-farmers-and-now-there-s-covid-19. That drives up the price of corn for food.

December 27, 2020 3:13 pm

I wonder how many total tons of CO2 went into the big dig project?

Philip
December 27, 2020 3:26 pm

I quit smoking before they started to put warnings on cigarettes, or maybe there was small print stuff I missed remembering, but certainly not those gross pictures we see today on individual cigarette packages. Anecdotal, I know, but there still seems to be a fairly good crop of young new smokers, gross pictures and all the warnings.
I can’t imagine the same type of program being any more effective at the gas pumps. People may choose to smoke but a vehicle, in spite of the rhetoric, is for a great many people a necessity. We seem to be so far down the road of hyping our social and political ideal(s) that all the signage, if ever really effective, is now just white noise. We’re stacking white noise and proclaiming ideological successes.

Pat Frank
December 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Next will be yellow stars sewn onto the sleeves of “climate change deniers.” (sic)

It’s coming.

Last edited 7 months ago by Pat Frank
dk_
December 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Printed on vinyl or plasticized cellulose using petroleum and coal-based inks and pigments, weatherized with UV-resistant “forever” plastic compounds, and fastened with petroleum-based adhesives. Enforcement and compliance financed and powered by road, fuel, and electrical power generation taxes and fees. Pollution preventative value 0, health value 0, virtue signaling value quite small — how often does any one really read the existing warnings and notices on gas pumps.

Edward Katz
December 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Wherever there’s a university/college, the chances greatly improve that there will be some climate alarmist propaganda to be found in one form or another. Except if a proper survey were done of staff and students, chances are just as good that only a tiny minority is actually living the type of lifestyle supposedly designed to fight climate change. Sort of like David Suzuki, Al Gore, Leonard DiCaprio
, etc. ; i.e., Don’t Do As I Do, Just Do As I Say.

ozspeaksup
December 28, 2020 4:22 am

so about a month and hopefully someone will mimic the stickers with something pithy and honest and cover the originals over;-)

Michael Jankowski
December 28, 2020 10:16 am

Should be placing those stickers on practically everything, then. Every product which involves fossil fuels in manufacturing or transport, every thermostat in every office and household, etc. Put them everywhere so people understand the absurdity.

Reply to  Michael Jankowski
December 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Yes, like the flights of MIT faculty, students, and staff, and at the marinas and campus power plant and on all city trucks. Let’s see the fuel bills and accounting statements for the city. They are still mad that the federal tax reform limited deductions for their second homes on Cape Cod.

December 28, 2020 10:46 am

Showmanship has never gone well in that state. I still get a good laugh thinking of Michael Dukakis riding in that tank and looking like Alfred E. Neuman.

Editor
December 28, 2020 11:32 am

That sticker should be more effective than a pencil neck geek holding a sign…

Bruce Cobb
December 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Maybe the city of Cambridge MA itself should have a warning sticker: “Warning, you are entering cray cray cuckoo climate land”. Abandon all logic, ye who enter”.

December 28, 2020 5:48 pm

How about warning stickers on Sam Adams beer?

Sheri
December 29, 2020 5:59 am

Carry a Sharpie, wear your mask.

Foley Hund
December 31, 2020 2:43 pm

I’m disappointed my favorite Mexican restaurants were left out…along with the retried bean section at the supermarkts….. and the drive up window at Taco Time… or for that matter any fast food chain gas factory. Oh wait! What about those sodas and the beer?