Saturday Silliness – a real page turner

For those of you not familiar with a Rube Goldberg device, this video defines what it is. Oh, and no hamsters were harmed in the making of this film.

D. W. Schnare

I’ve modeled that sequence of events and determined it can’t happen.

Otter

Mr Schnare~ We need to verify your data. I shall shortly be submitting an FOIA request.

That was awesome, but as usual,I’m a skeptic.

Glenn A. Plant

Clearly several “warming” devices were employed. Climate Justice will need to be applied.
/sarc
GPlant

Chris B

You must be bored after that 100,000,000 milestone. I bet the billion mark comes faster.
My contribution to the fight for National Rube Goldberg Day………..
Just like climate models simulated Rube Goldberg’s can be made to do whatever you want them to do.

Warren in Minnesota

@Chris B
This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country [Minnesota, USA] on copyright grounds.

LOL

Dave

Were there any feedbacks?

Otter

Dave says:
January 14, 2012 at 6:55 am
Were there any feedbacks?
Is that, like, kickbacks for hamsters?

As far as I can tell, it’ll work for only one page! Is this one-off behaviour typical of Rube-Goldberd devices?

All well and good until he wants to turn the next page.
🙂

Chris B;
C-Rappy and, as G&T would say, definitively unphysical. Where’s the fast-forward control? >:(

Chris B

Warren in Minnesota says:
January 14, 2012 at 6:15 am
@Chris B
_____________________________________
Sorry about that. It works up here in the Great White North. There was no notice on the Youtube page it came from. Maybe there’s a searchable, non-copyright version in the US.

MattC

Honda’s “The Cog” is still my favorite.

ParisParamus

Ur…that’s a Guinea pig, not a hamster–they are cute rodents.

Jim S

Only slightly less complex than the whole “global warming as a means of wealth redistribution” scheme…..

DirkH

MattC says:
January 14, 2012 at 7:53 am
“Honda’s “The Cog” is still my favorite.”
Doesn’t count. It’s computer-animated. (The tyres would never go up the ramp like that).

Urederra

I like OK Go´s “this too shall pass” Goldberg machine video. It has over 32 million views on Utube.

Enjoy!

But which switch is which?

Curiousgeorge

Proof that things are still Made In The USA! 🙂

Ian E

In the UK, we have a similar confection, referred too as a Heath Robinson contraption (named after an English cartoonist), pre-dating, I believe, your Rube Goldberg! [Which reminds me, an Americam student I knew many years ago was very surprised that we, in the UK, did not celebrate 4th July – go figure!]

Chuck L

It reminds me of “Mousetrap,” one of my favorite childhood games!

bulaman

kiwis eh!!

Harry Kal

Now that is what we call : “Tipping points”
Harry

TXRed

Johan, yes, most Rube Goldberg/ Heath Robinson devices only work once, at least in real life.

TXRed,
Thanks. Come to think of it, they’re sort of perpetual motion machines, except that they aren’t of course! 🙂

cui bono

The CGI ones are cheating. Oh, hang on, Gore used CGI extensively in his movie, so it must be ok.
See also Wallace & Gromit at breakfast.

David A. Evans

I would say the UKs real Rube Goldberg was Roland Emmett.
DaveE.

cui bono

More Saturday silliness. Your correspondents from Southern UK (including me) are now in danger from incoming Russian projectiles:
I don’t think we’d get a 4 minute warning….

Colonial

Ian E (January 14, 2012 at 9:40 am) wrote:
… [Which reminds me, an Americam student I knew many years ago was very surprised that we, in the UK, did not celebrate 4th July – go figure!]
I, too, am surprised that the UK doesn’t honor July 4th by celebrating the departure of those testy Colonials from the proverbial fold. They were such a pain in the neck! Aside from the annoyance caused by an ill-advised Royal Navy adventure from 1812-15, life in the UK must have been much more pleasant after 1781…

Phil

Here’s a real one that supposedly destroyed a lot of wine: http://youtu.be/V8ZmOgMlyRE

David Davidovics

@Urederra
Awesome video!!

David Waring

Colonial says:
January 14, 2012 at 11:48 am
[…] ife in the UK must have been much more pleasant after 1781…
Life in the UK has been going downhill steadily since 44 A.D.
And the Trend Remains the Same.

Andrew30

This is an amazing work of animated musical construction.

Andrew30 says:
January 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm
This is an amazing work of animated musical construction.

Yeah, but it doesn’t play the second movement.

Lance of BC

Andrew30,
Great video, brought to you by “TOUCHWOOD” , he hehe hehe(beavis & butthead) he hehe!

hunter

Interactive Rube Goldberg- amazing.

Not exactly the score as I recall it, but terrific!

Geoff Withnell

Actually, it isn’t animated, they purposely unbalanced the tires. I understand that it took weeks to get the sequence to run from the beginning, because some of the parts were so precariously set that they kept starting as peoplewere walking off the set from the vibration.
MattC says:
January 14, 2012 at 7:53 am
“Honda’s “The Cog” is still my favorite.”

MattC

DirkH says:
January 14, 2012 at 8:35 am
MattC says:
January 14, 2012 at 7:53 am
“Honda’s “The Cog” is still my favorite.”
And to further Geoff’s answer. The way you unbalance the tire is this: Take a plastic bag. Fill it with random bolts & nuts. Duct tape it to the inside of the tire. Place the tire on the incline and put a bolt behind it as a chock (if you carefully at the video you can see them). Now balance the tire so that the plastic bag-O-bolts is right at the very top of the tire. Now all you have to do is nudge the tire forward, the weight of the bag on the inside of the tire makes it roll up hill for one half of a revolution where it nudges the next tire.
I wonder if there’s something in there that might be instructive even for the overall focus of this particular blog. For instance, maybe there are influences on climate that, just perhaps, we can’t readily see that can cause phenomenon we would think unlikely or not expect.

Phil says:
January 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Not a drop! Vodka and cognac are not wines.
😉