Lies My Wind Developer Told Me

From MasterResource

By Kevon Martis — February 25, 2022

Ed NoteThis post is based on a February 5, 2022, speech by Kevon Martis at Montcalm County Citizens United’s “Big Wind Go Home” rally in Trufant, Michigan.

“Lesson learned: Wind developers are not a reliable source of information when devising a wind ordinance. They will say whatever it takes to get their projects approved, even if they contradict themselves the next town over.”

The wind zoning regulations demanded by Apex Clean Energy company (APEX) in Montcalm County are demonstrably irresponsible and should be resisted.

APEX will no doubt make great hay out of my speaking at a rally called Big Wind Go Home and, in fact, APEX land agent Dan Paris already is. But I am here to tell you that it is your fundamental right to tell government-created, unnecessary, invasive Big Wind: You are not welcome here on the terms you propose. If you do business here in our county, the terms by which you do business will be dictated to you by us and not the other way around. And we will not be bullied!

Permit me to tell you some stories where mistruths, call them lies, occurred..

1Shifting Setbacks

I have been involved in wind-energy land use regulation since 2009 when a wind project was proposed for my southeast Michigan township. There were two developers: Exelon and Juwi Wind. At that time, I was still a planning commissioner in Riga Township, in Lenawee County. Wind energy was new to me, as it was largely to the entire state. Only a handful of turbines had been erected, primarily in Huron County. They were relatively small, 390-feet tall, compared to the 600-foot-plus designs we see today.

At one particular hearing, both Exelon and Juwi Wind presented their recommendations for regulations for wind energy. Juwi salesman James Manning stated that he wanted 1,000-foot setbacks from homes to their turbines and a 55dBa noise limit for turbine noise. That noise would be measured at the homes, not the property lines.

Then acoustic consultant Peter Guldberg spoke on behalf of Exelon, wanting 1,320-foot setbacks from turbines to homes and 45dBa noise limits for turbine noise, also measured at homes, not property lines. He assured us these regulations were safe.

I asked him if he was prepared to state that the regulations his competitor was recommending were unsafe. He said: “Yes I am!”

But a few months later, Guldberg was in Mason County, Michigan, working on the behalf of Consumer’s Energy. There, he supported noise limits and setbacks for their project that he had pronounced “unsafe” when proposed by Juwi Wind.

2. Farmer Assertion

Next, in my township, our former County Commissioner, a farmer, stated: “wind is subject to the Right to Farm Act because it is a wind farm.” It turns out that that is not true now and was not true then. But developers and their leaseholders continue to make this claim even to this day.

N solar developers have picked up that theme as well. Another lesson learned: County Commissioners are not always a reliable source of information when tax revenue is in play.

3. Federal-control Straw Man

Then we heard leaseholders start the chant: “You better let the developers have their way with you or the State of Michigan is going to take away the power to regulate wind development.”

I first heard this mantra in 2009, and it has never stopped—not for wind or solar. I even went so far as to have an amendment added to the 2016 State energy bill that reaffirmed local control of wind development, irrespective of any renewable energy mandate. But the lies persist: the State is going to take away your right to regulate wind if you don’t give in.

In my mind, it is like someone saying: “You better let me physically assault you today because if you don’t, the State may legalize assault in the future.”

I think I will resist the assault today and take my chances on the future. And for the past 13 years, that has been the right bet. The State of Michigan has no appetite to take away local control of renewable-energy zoning.

A third lesson learned: Leaseholders are unreliable sources of information for township officials. And that is because you will never learn the truth from a person whose paycheck depends upon not knowing the truth.

Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition

My term was expiring as a planning-commission member. The township supervisor had it in for me, and he would not re-appoint me even though the rest of the planning commission and many citizens supported my re-appointment. As a result of the experiences I just shared, I knew that our township folks needed to be better informed about the negative impacts associated with turning an entire township into a 50- or 60-story tall power plant.

So I reached out to a number of folks in our community, and we had our first meeting the day after my term as planning commissioner was officially over. About a dozen of us met.

That is where I first had a chance to get to know my friend and attorney Joshua Nolan. He had just bought a home in Sylvania, Ohio, and his back property line abutted Riga Township right on the Michigan-Ohio border.

He and his entire subdivision were going to have turbines in their backyard. As an attorney, Josh advised us to incorporate as a group, out of fear that Exelon or Juwi or Consumers Energy would sue us for our opposition. As it turned out, that risk is fairly low. But we took that advice and created a new entity: the Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition.

Developers often make a big deal about our organization having the word “interstate” in its name. In their minds, it is proof of national collusion and funding. But we are called the Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition simply because the proposed wind project would affect people in two states.

IICC Activism

Our first action was to put together an informational meeting for our community. At our own expense, we brought in independent experts on property values, noise, energy policy, and legal issues. Word got out about our meeting, and we had more than 300 people attend. Many traveled from across Michigan, including farmers from the Thumb area. It was at this meeting where I first met my friend Cary Shineldecker from Ludington, Michigan, who later moved out of his home due to wind turbine noise in the same project that Peter Guldberg had pronounced “safe.”

The IIRC informational meeting took place during a snowstorm. Local union toughs came to picket our meeting. They lied to the people in the parking lot. They told them that the meeting had been cancelled due to snow. We had to call the police to remove them.

We had two last-minute additions to our speaker list that day. The first was a couple from DeKalb, Illinois: the Hulthein Family. They drove five hours each way from Illinois in that same storm to warn us about what it was like living near wind turbines.

I will never forget Stephanie weeping as she talked about perhaps having to move out of their beautiful new home due to the wind turbine noise. They played a video of the turbines and the sound they make when they are iced up. Our township clerk said to Stephanie “They told us the turbine shut down when they get icy”. Stephanie said: “Yeah they told us that too”.

The other surprise visitor was Kelly Alexander. He showed up unannounced. He had driven all the way from Mackinaw City, Michigan, to speak to us. You see, he lives near the two small turbines you see at the Mackinac bridge. He said the turbine noise drove him crazy, and his local developer mocked him when he complained. After he told his brief story, he got into his truck and drove five hours back home in the snow. Neither he nor the Hultheins would take any pay for their travel expenses.

That is when it clicked: Who would drive hours out of their way in bad weather for free to a community where they knew no one just to lie to us about wind turbines? No one would.

I spoke very little at that meeting. But I did say one thing that caught people’s attention. I said “No one has ever come to a planning commission meeting and said the light coming through my windows is too steady. Could you make it flicker once a second? The night time noise level around my home is too quiet. Could you raise it from 25 decibels to 55? And my property values are too stable. Could you construct some 50-story industrial machines near my home to place those values at risk?”

Ultimately our Township adopted reasonable regulations for wind development. Those regulations permit wind development. But unless the developer gets the consent of the neighbors who would be most affected by turbines, the cost of development is high. I thought that was fair then and I think it is fair today. It is a free-market solution to a difficult zoning problem.

And it is because of my experience with developers and because of our experience as a township that people started asking me to come to their community and speak.

Future Activism

And just like the Hultheins and Kelly Alexander, I continue to pay it forward. I have personally borne substantial financial costs over the past ten years as I share my story about how to equitably regulate wind development so that no one experiences what my friends the Hultheins and Alexanders and Peplinskis and Shineldeckers and Hartkes and the late Gene Champagne and so many others, way too many others, have experienced.

And it is because I have made an impact with respect to helping communities protect themselves from irresponsibly sited wind projects that I am demonized by developers like APEX. They fear my experience, and they fear my knowledge, and they will do anything to prevent my words from being heard by policy makers like your township and county officials.

They will:

• Go to any lengths to separate you from information critical to protecting the health, safety, and welfare of your community.
  • File SLAPP suits like they did to my friend Esther Wrightman in Ontario.
  • Subpoena your phones and PCs like NextEra did to me and my friend Norm Stephens.
  • Operate fake news organizations like the APEX-funded Checks and Balances Project, and falsely tell the world that Norm and I are being paid with dark fossil-fuel money, when in fact it is the developers who are awash in fossil-fuel money. And when that no longer works, they will call you Nazis like Dan Paris did.

Conclusion

But I have another descriptor for good folks like you: Patriots!

Years ago I stood at the back of my township hall and was waiting to give my three minutes of public comment. An elderly farmer took me by the arm and said: “Speak for me Kevon, speak for me!”

I did speak for him that night and I continue to speak for him today.

And today I say to all of you brave folks here today:

“Speak for those who cannot speak! Knock on doors when you are scared to knock! And stand up in meetings and speak the truth even if your voice shakes or you cry like a big fat dummy like me!”

God bless you and FIGHT ON!

5 28 votes
Brad
February 25, 2022 10:19 pm

God bless you!!

Redge
February 25, 2022 11:05 pm

#ExelonKnew

Willem post
Reply to  Redge
February 26, 2022 4:02 am

More than 30 years ago, the US Congress knew all these wind turbines would be in urban areas.

They did not give a damn, because WALL STREET had a standard tax-shelter package, so wealthy folks could avoid federal and state taxes, have accelerated write-offs in the early years of the project, and get tax credits, or get production tax credits, sell the electricity at far above market prices, which provided a RISK-FREE return of at least 9%/y for 20 years.

The net result was crap conditions for nearby people, and increased electric rates and taxes for everyone else.

WELCOME TO FIGHTING CLIMATE CHANGE, WHILE KERRY AND HIS BILLIONAIRE PALS JET AROUND IN PRIVATE PLANES AND PARK THEIR YACHTS IN THE NICEST PLACES OF THE WORLD.

Frank from NoVA
Reply to  Willem post
February 26, 2022 5:25 am

There is never a free market justification for wind and solar energy development. It is always the result of government coercion driven by a concentration of benefits against a socialization of costs.

MarkW
Reply to  Frank from NoVA
February 26, 2022 7:33 am

To a communist, everything that isn’t pure communism is some form of capitalism.

Dennis G Sandberg
Reply to  Frank from NoVA
February 26, 2022 4:18 pm

County Commissioner’s are in a tough spot, landowners love the rentals, concrete companies, and their employees love the income, ditto other business’ during construction. Add in the low information voters who refuse to understand that “free” W&S is very expensive, unreliable and unworkable, and they have a reelection problem.

Frank from NoVA
Reply to  Dennis G Sandberg
February 27, 2022 7:37 am

Good point, Dennis. You’ve correctly pointed out that W&S are just another example of Bastiat’s “broken window fallacy”, wherein people only “see” the new infrastructure, while the higher costs of unreliable energy are “not seen”. It’s a tough nut to crack, which is why the fight won’t be won until the EPA’s endangerment finding is overturned and W&S are made to play under the same rules as reliable energy sources.

Matt Kiro
Reply to  Willem post
February 26, 2022 7:45 am

If they knew all this, like the tobacco companies knew about cancer, shouldn’t we be able to file a class action suit?

Barry Anthony
Reply to  Willem post
February 26, 2022 9:04 am

>>They knew there would be noise, and infrasound, and flicker, and visuals and property devaluation<< Of the many idiotic claims by the astro-turf anti-wind narrative, the “infrasound” bogie man is the most laughable. There are no quantifiable adverse health effects whatsoever associated with wind turbine installations. “No clear or consistent association is seen between noise from wind turbines and any reported disease or other indicator of harm to human health.” https://journals.lww.com/joem/Fulltext/2014/11000/Wind_Turbines_and_Health__A_Critical_Review_of_the.9.aspx

AndyHce
Reply to  Barry Anthony
February 26, 2022 2:44 pm

There is research, going back at least 40 years, that infrasound causes unique cumulative physical damage which can lead to severe disabilities, birth defects, and death. There are many damaging industrial sources of infrasound but wind turbines are probably now the most common and most commonly increasingly dense producers. The basic and unique physical tissue damage was discovered quite a while ago, is in no way dependent upon audibility, is reproduceable in the laboratory, and is medically diagnosable. The tissues changes that lead to medical conditions are cumulative, occur over extended exposure times, and seem to be proportional to infrasound intensity, but perhaps not linearly.

Even the most vigorous wind power opponents seem determined to ignore the research on cumulative tissue damage, but I have yet to see one research claim that says any part of the accumulated physical evidence (as contrasted with the more touchy-feeley types of experiences such as sleep disturbances) is untrue.

The article you linked to is interesting but I don’t see anything that directly addresses the research done on physical harm. I wonder if the Scottish research referenced is the same study that was originally commissioned by the legislature to be done by a completely independent research team but was, after intense lobbying by the wind producers, reassigned to an entity whose total existence was owed to contracts by the wind industry to certify that their constructions meet legal guidelines (which totally ignored infrasound).

The major damaging wind turbine infrasound is pulsed, not continuous. Most published studies ignore the large energy component below human hearing frequencies, usually not perceivable by humans, that are the frequencies that cause the tissue changes. dBA measurements are no indication of infrasound levels which can be, and frequently are, much higher than can be detected on the dBA or dBG scale. Indeed, some infrasound detectors, such as those the Germans use for nuclear bomb explosions, do not detect wind turbine infrasound pulses at all but the proper equipment does detect it quite readily and consistently.

Certainly there is much still unknown, such as
why does the major organ damage vary among victims?
what energy level of infrasound is too low to cause the types of damage identified?
how great a distance is necessary to achieve that low level?
   the damaging infrasound pulses from wind turbines have been measured at 20 km from source
   infrasound propagation is complex and not limited to the inverse square law
   infrasound level are very often higher inside buildings due to resonances and standing waves
   infrasound, due to it very long wave length, cannot be blocked by any feasible protective construction

Here is a lecture that explains much of this (infrasound damage).

The organization this lecturer works with produced a list of published research going back to the 1980s.

A fairly recent German study identified the acoustic energy, the generation thereof, and the reason previous German government studies had not identified these energy components. Unfortunately I don’t have a link. I listened to a YouTube lecture about the research but that is as much as I can remember about the source.

AndyHce
Reply to  Sommer
February 26, 2022 8:48 pm

Two types of connective tissue, found widely throughout the body, are induced to grow abnormally under infrasound exposure. This has nothing to do with whether or not there is anything audible to the owner of the tissues. Short term exposure does not produce any of this result. At least to a limited extent, there is tissue recovery when a longer term exposure has occurred but is then discontinued. Too long an exposure (not well defined as far as I know) and the results can be permanent and sometimes devastating.

Laboratory results with rodents, or some other small animals, found the same changes when the animals were exposed intermittently, in imitation of the normal human industrial work experience: 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. There are other than wind turbine sources of damaging industrial infrasound and some of this experimental work has led to restrictions on the number of hours per day that such activity is allowed, in some jurisdictions, within range of people’s homes. This has not led to any generally applicable rules.

The modified tissue interferes with normal functioning. This can be in the heart, in the lungs, in the inner ear, in the brain, and in various other areas of the body. Why symptoms are different in different people is, as far as I now, not understood. To some extent it probably depends on which organs are critically effected first, depending upon individual human differences, perhaps upon different environmental pressures, perhaps upon the individual frequencies experienced most often in any particular situation. At any rate, short term studies may provide useful information about more immediate problems but it takes longer, a year to several years, for abnormal tissue growth to reach a critical extent.

Another presentation, from before so much was know about physiological changes and the means developed to detect those changes

Kevin kilty
Reply to  Barry Anthony
February 26, 2022 4:14 pm

That is an excellent and detailed meta-study; so, thanks for the reference. You will note that it is becoming a bit dated as the article is 7+ years old — and, since then we have local wind farms that have stepped up from typically 1.5MW and 330 feet tall, to 3.0MW, and now to 6.0MW and 692 feet tall. Finally, here is the real rub, most wind energy regulations refer to making certain the industrial operation does not cause a “nuisance”. This is separately stated from discussion of health hazards. Many noise ordinances are too loud to avoid being a nuisance at times. Moreover many ordinances are not specific enough to avoid fighting over meaning. For example here our ordinance is stated as 55 dB(A) at a non-participating property line without any metric at all. I would opt for 50 dBA Leq and 45 dBA outside an existing residence. This is still above European standards, but would probably mollify those last 5% of complaints.

Finally, I wouldn’t classify folks against 692 foot tall objects in the near vacinity of their homes, with blinking red lights at night, occasional shadows — and the loss of property value as “idiotic astroturf”. Let’s show some tolerance. There are issues beyond just noise.

Graeme#4
Reply to  Kevin kilty
February 26, 2022 8:21 pm

Please look at Andy’s comments about dBA acoustic measurements not being suitable to measure infrasound. The dBA measuring devices contain a filter that excludes infrasound frequencies.

AndyHce
Reply to  Kevin kilty
February 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Perhaps a good study in certain way but it appears to be one that has excluded much work that doesn’t fit within its narrow parameters. Did I miss the discussion of connective tissue changes and the resultant organ deterioration ?

PCman999
Reply to  Willem post
February 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Urban areas? Did you mean “would NOT be in urban areas” thus not affecting the majority of their voters?

I wonder if they had been put in urban areas, say by the docks, harbour industrial areas, would they be as effective? Catching the breeze as air moves from city to sea and visa versa.

Ben Vorlich
February 26, 2022 1:02 am

More power to your elbow!

Be Awre, Griff will be along later to claim this is Nimbyism.. That wind turbines are the future and will keep powering the country cheaply and reliably for future generations. You’d think he works for a renewable energy company

griff
Reply to  Ben Vorlich
February 26, 2022 1:21 am

And you would say the same to people who are against having shale gas extracted around their homes in the UK, I assume?

Yes, wind turbines are the future for the UK. We are already set to increase from 24GW of them to 70GW by 2030. a whole heap less gas will therefore get burned/imported.

Tom Abbott
February 26, 2022 2:27 am

Delusional.

Gerry, England
February 26, 2022 3:47 am

Of course that is their nameplate capacity so in reality output will be around a third of those figures. And the output of 70GW will be the same as 24GW when there is no wind – ZERO.

Sara
Reply to  Gerry, England
February 26, 2022 6:56 am

You guys should include what happens when either a derecho or a tornado goes slamming through a wind turbine field.

Lil-Mike
Reply to  Gerry, England
February 26, 2022 8:59 am

1/3rd ??? I think the chart I saw here last year said 17%, but that was offshore.

Redge
February 26, 2022 4:20 am

We are already set to increase from 24GW of them to 70GW by 2030

You make it so easy to shoot you down, mate.

Below is a snapshot from iamkate. The snapshot shows wind generating 10.58GW out of 24GW. This is on a good day for wind power.

10.58 of 24 GW is 44%

Even if we could build a further 46GW in 8 years, on a good day we’d be looking at barely covering demand.

For perspective, over the last year wind power has averaged 5.8GW with an average demand of over 30GW.

What would we do when wind conditions are not as good as today?

Only gas, coal and nuclear can guarantee energy in the UK.

We need to start fracking, a process with a much longer history than greens would have us believe, and we need to start it now.

Screenshot 2022-02-26 121119.jpg
ferdberple(@ferdberple)
February 26, 2022 4:34 am

Where does the energy come from to mine the materials, transport, manufacture, purchase land/sea, install, train, maintain, decommission these turbines?

It cant be from the turbines because it takes years for each turbine to produce enough energy to pay for itself let alone build its replacement or heaven forbit a second turbine

In reality the energy to build the turbines and keep them running is from fossil fuels.

Scissor
Reply to  ferdberple
February 26, 2022 6:33 am

Yes, and the blades are composites made from crude oil derivatives and materials produced by fossil fuels, especially coal, as is their steel and concrete.

PCman999
Reply to  ferdberple
February 26, 2022 12:37 pm

And you can’t run a mine in the Congo with a wind turbine in the UK.

Tom Halla
February 26, 2022 5:00 am

And the British anti frackers are taking money from the Russians.

paul courtney
Reply to  Tom Halla
February 26, 2022 6:11 am

Mr. Halla: IMO, so is Mr. griff.

Redge
Reply to  paul courtney
February 26, 2022 11:11 pm

Nah, Putin doesn’t need to pay zealots

John Furst
February 26, 2022 5:03 am

So, Griff, How much back-up, standby generation– when wind speed drops or wind stops for days or weeks– must be available, running hot, and ready 24/7?
Something over 24GW, perhaps 70+ (for grid margins to prevent blackouts)…and of course you would agree to ADD that backup to the cost of wind! Right?

Last edited 3 months ago by John Furst
michel
February 26, 2022 6:19 am

You made this point before, and I pointed out then, with numbers, that its definitely not going to happen. There is no way another 46GW of wind will be installed in the next 8 years.

Not going to repeat that yet again.

And even if it did, that would not supply enough power on a consistent enough basis to fuel the proposed Net Zero move to EVs and heat pumps. In fact, it would not even reliably supply current demand.

All this is documented in authoritative studies, which I cited last time through.

And even if it did that, it would make no difference to global emissions, which were said to be the problem it was designed to fix.

This is what intellectual bad faith looks like. When you won’t look at the facts, you won’t consider the logic, and you just keep making the same unfounded assertions at a summary level regardless of what is said in reply.

MarkW
Reply to  michel
February 26, 2022 7:36 am

In griff’s world, a press release means it’s already happened.

AndyHce
Reply to  michel
February 26, 2022 2:55 pm

Obviously, current demand is much too high. That problem can only be attacked through tough legislation.

rhs
February 26, 2022 6:26 am

Why don’t you remind us that wind power might produce so much electricity there isn’t enough demand for it? This happens, less than a couple of hours every couple of months when a large and powerful storm blows in. Granted, it can’t last long because the turbines have to be turned off before they get damaged.
It’s also most likely in periods of cold when the need for warmth is about to be increased.

2hotel9
February 26, 2022 6:57 am

And yet more lies spewed by the lie spewing liar.

philo
February 26, 2022 7:15 am

Sorry Griff, but the CO2 and manufacture costs of each wind turbine is about equal to the energy it will produce over15-20 years. That makes it a 0-0 investment overall. It will go badly negative if it ices up and throws a blade somewhere along the way.

An atomic power plant will produce at least 5 times the energy required to build it. In most case they have been able to produce many times their own energy-to-build/removal costs.

The whole point of this article is to show that any kind of development dependent on future returns requires extensive and expensive research and care to make sure that the benefits for ALL must greatly exceed the profits of a small group of developers and politicians.

February 26, 2022 7:42 am

A recent storm in the UK blew over a windmill….only 60 mph wind.

Wharfplank
February 26, 2022 7:55 am

All energy for extraction, transport, refining, manufacture, transport and erection will be provided by fossil fuels and will be repeated every 25 years, negating any net “gain”. Conservation, and innovation are better bets. Oh, and nuclear.

Mark BLR
February 26, 2022 10:20 am

We are already set to increase from 24GW of them to 70GW by 2030 …

How many times have we been over this ?

“Blocking high over Britain for 4 to 10 days.”

Having “~24 GW (/ ~580 GWh per day) capacity” is one thing, actually producing only 50 GWh for five consecutive days in the middle of winter is something else.

3 x 24 = 72.

3 x 50 = 150 …

GB-Electricity_Wind_Dec2021_1.png
Last edited 3 months ago by Mark BLR
griff
February 26, 2022 1:19 am

Perhaps the author should talk to some Germans, in those villages and farms where the local citizens own and put up the windfarms on and around their on properties and aren’t experiencing any problems.

Alba
February 26, 2022 3:33 am

Tell that to the trees that are going to be chopped down in Hessen, Germany, in order to make way for wind turbines.

Willem post
Reply to  Alba
February 26, 2022 4:07 am

EXCERPT from:
Green Wrecking Ball: Germany Clearing “Undisturbed” 1000-Year-Old Forest, Make Way For Massive Wind Parkhttps://www.windtaskforce.org/profiles/blogs/green-wrecking-ball-germany-clearing-undisturbed-1000-year-old

Germany’s government has not only taken a wrecking ball to the nation in terms of COVID, but also to its biodiversity in its self-deluded bid to protect the climate.
Clearing of 2000 hectares in one of the last undisturbed forests ha…https://rettet-den-reinhardswald.de/.

“Grimm’s Fairy Tale Forest”

About a year ago we reported on disturbing plans by the government of the German state of Hesse to clear 20 million square meters of 1000-year old “fairy tale” forest in one of Germany’s most idyllic, fairy tale-like forests: the Reinhardswald located in the hilly region west of the city of Göttingen.

The Reinhardswald is known as the “treasure house of European forests” or the “Grimm’s fairy tale forest”.

A total of about 2000 hectares (20 million m²) of the thousand-year-old Reinhardswald was designated for destruction by the state in order to clear the way for a massive wind power plant development.

Conservatives, Greens Ram Project Through

Tragically, that battle to stop the destructive project has been dealt a severe blow as the construction of access roads began 2 days ago. The massive resistance of the affected citizens was ignored by the Hesse state government, which ironically is governed by a coalition of the CDU conservatives and environmentalist Greens. Updates posted here.

Press Release

What follows is the press release from environmental protection group Aktionsbündnis Märchenland:

The Reinhardswald never had a chance. Not in Hesse. Not in this power structure, in whose ‘care’ the state-owned, widely known Reinhardswald is now to be cleared, chopped up, concreted over, built on – treated like any other industrial area along any motorway.

Only a few kilometers away — in North Rhine-Westphalia and in Lower Saxony — the Reinhardswald would have been safe as a historically old, large-scale forest site worthy of protection, particularly significant in terms of biodiversity. But not in Hesse.

Conservation group Aktionsbündnis Märchenland is stunned by the granted approval – but not surprised. From the very beginning, this project in the Reinhardswald forest district was rammed through in a manner of an overlord against all protests from municipalities, groups, initiatives, associations and, in any case, over the heads of the people affected, as a prestige project of the Hessian state government.

For years, the project developers have been able to rely on the political and technical support from Wiesbaden – right up to the approval process. The Regional Council of Kassel, which is bound by directives, only needed to implement them.

The largest wind turbine project in Hesse, with over 14 kilometres of new and upgraded roads capable of carrying heavy loads, is now to be built in the valuable eco-system of the forest, which is also the heart of a demonstrably historically old forest site with a history of over 1000 years going back to Medieval times.

michel
Reply to  Willem post
February 26, 2022 9:29 am

Yes, its extraordinary, the greatest threat to the environment and habitats is now coming from the ecologists who are destroying both while claiming to be saving the planet.

Rather like the main source of racially based discrimination now is coming from those who consider themselves to be fierce anti-racists…

I think it was Robert Conquest who remarked that all political movements will eventually adopt policies which achieve the exact opposite of what their nominal objectives were. Classic instance in the Chinese Communist Party.

AndyHce
Reply to  michel
February 26, 2022 2:57 pm

The planet’s core will be perfectly safe.

Joseph Zorzin
February 26, 2022 3:53 am

high profits can number your senses

Smart Rock
Reply to  Joseph Zorzin
February 26, 2022 9:49 am

It can numb them too!

Redge
February 26, 2022 4:22 am

Where’s your evidence to support this claim, griff?

Scissor
February 26, 2022 6:36 am
Matt Kiro
Reply to  Scissor
February 26, 2022 7:49 am

Are they using wind power to fire up that blowtorch in the bottom pic?

Drake
Reply to  Scissor
February 26, 2022 6:11 pm

The article mentions they remover the turbine in 2 1/2 hours. Obviously not the foundation, so no they didn’t.

2hotel9
February 26, 2022 6:58 am

And even more lies from the lie spewing liar.

philo
February 26, 2022 7:37 am

Don’t ask us to justify you’re claims. That is always the responsibility of the claimant.

Kind of your job, you know. Be sure names, address, and contact info is correct for double checking.

Dave Fair
February 26, 2022 8:24 am

Local citizens or absentee landlords, Griff? What is the flow of money involved?

Last edited 3 months ago by Dave Fair
Paul
February 26, 2022 2:06 pm

if wind is the “be all end all” solution, why, pray tell, is Germany buying
natural gas from Russia, in fact why is the Green Freak UK importing
natural gas & wood chips, or for that matter, why is anyone anywhere
who is married to 10th century technology using natural gas. It seems
your Wind Nirvana has more than a few flaws an a lot of holes that will
never be fixed.

MarkW
February 26, 2022 3:20 pm

In griff’s mind, if one person claims to not be having a problem, that’s proof that nobody is having a problem.

February 27, 2022 2:18 am

My family is German. He late grandfather, an Austrian, lived in Munich for decades. Been there many times. Guess which province in Germany has a de facto ban on wind turbines? Bavaria. Add guess who permits setbacks as large as 1,000m for wind turbines? Germany. Guess what the proposed setbacks are for wind in Michigan? 300m. You claim wind is uncontroversial in Germany. You are wrong. https://windeurope.org/newsroom/news/german-government-drops-the-idea-of-a-nationwide-1000m-distance-rule/

Oldseadog
February 26, 2022 2:21 am

This is one of the most powerful posts I have seen on WUWT in a long time.

Dave Fair
Reply to  Oldseadog
February 26, 2022 8:33 am

Proof that sincerely stated truths do not need sophistication to be effective, Dog. Most of CliSciFi “communications” are smooth-talking screeds used to cover fundamental lies, misdirections and obfuscations.

Tom Abbott
February 26, 2022 2:32 am

People who have been adversly affected by windmills should sue Michael Mann and Phil Jones for lying about CO2 and temperatures.

Windmills wouldn’t be considered necessary if they had told the truth. But they didn’t, and they ended up fooling people like Griff.

Sommer
Reply to  Tom Abbott
February 26, 2022 6:08 pm

Is it time for a Grand Jury similar to the one that Reiner Fuellmich and Viviane Fischer and their team have orchestrated for covid?
The model they’ve put into the public domain could be used for the alarmist climate change deception and racketeering associated with mitigation efforts like industrial scale wind turbines.

Ron Long
February 26, 2022 3:03 am

Good to hear about some focused resistance to wind turbine nonsense. Why aren’t the various wildlife advocates also speaking out about the carnage to our flying friends? Wind and solar are the only industries allowed to kill raptors without legal consequences.

Dave Fair
Reply to  Ron Long
February 26, 2022 8:48 am

“Wildlife advocates” are members of the woke ruling elite, Ron. Grandpa’s trust fund money buys alot of loyalty to the social class. That loyalty mostly overrides crass temporal concerns.

Peta of Newark
February 26, 2022 3:30 am

Quote:”Lies My Wind Developer Told Me
They’re only doing what Government does, what they learned at school, what sales people & lawyers do on a professional basis and what the media does – from Walt Disney to the 24hr rolling news channel to Computer Games to climate models (using the word ‘games’ in the widest sense possible.

= what children do and children are easily frightened

Carbon Dioxide is not the problem – the tangle of lies surrounding it are.
And by requiring to disable the air-con in a ‘certain hearing room’ way-back-when, The World’s Chief Climate Scientist (of the time) admitted as much and as children do, they copy their elders, betters and teachers

What is anyone’s guess as to the ‘mental ages’ of either Joseph Biden or Boris Johnson.

Strangely and although ‘most everyone would put their behaviour down to entirely different causes (old age and alcohol respectively) – the root cause is the same.

And CO2 is a symptom of that, not the cause.

RevJay4
February 26, 2022 5:15 am

Is it time to put the greenies, of all stripes and flavors, in the place where they belong? Contributing to the CO2 levels wherever they are found. The eco movement is, and has been, extremely dishonest since day one. All a progressive/commie scheme to fundamentally change every source of energy, which benefits all, to one where the only ones benefiting are the elite and well-connected. Follow the money flowing into the coffers of the various eco/greenie organizations and it becomes apparent who stands to make the most of it all.
Not the everyday folks, for sure.

February 26, 2022 5:37 am

Don’t agree to an A weighed SPL standard, that would be like a permit for murder. Make it ‘C’ or nothing at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

Rich Lentz(@usurbrain)
February 26, 2022 6:09 am

First thing I thought of while reading the article was the movie “Tin Men.” My brother and my son were both very high earning salesmen. My brother went on to become VP Sales at a very large interstate trucking company. My son quit after two years, and he was making more than I was as a manager in nuclear engineering. When I asked him why he quit he said “I just can not continue lying to the customer. My boss kept telling me that you have to lie to make the sale.” [Paraphrased.] There are two was to make a sale, be a good salesman or lie to the customer.

Scissor
February 26, 2022 6:22 am

What I know about the weather in Michigan is that when it is very hot in the summer, the humidity is high and there is almost no wind, and in the coldest parts of winter wind is similarly dead. Between these extremes, when power demand is low, then wind might work quite well.

In other words, wind works great when you don’t need it, but it doesn’t work when you do.

Sara
Reply to  Scissor
February 26, 2022 7:03 am

It’s 9AM on a sunny day in the upper Midwest and there is ZERO wind going on. So where would a wind farm catch the wind? Nothing is going on anywhere. Been like this since Thanksgiving. Occasional light breezes, but mostly NOTHING in the way of wind.

Since these things don’t produce without wind, how will they supply electricity to any area at all if they are not turning? Well, they can’t, period.

Scissor
Reply to  Sara
February 26, 2022 9:41 am

Here in Colorado, it’s also sunny, no wind, and I’m waiting for it to warm up so that I can snowshoe. For this winter starting out with a lack of snow and cold, it’s since caught up. I look forward to some warmer days ahead, but that’s weather.

Brandon Galt
February 26, 2022 6:26 am

Ah…he said the words ‘freedom’ and ‘patriots’. Everyone knows those are synonyms for ‘heil hitler’ /sarcasm

Thanks for the work your doing protecting citizens of our beautiful if sometimes stupid state!

Ghowe
Reply to  Brandon Galt
February 26, 2022 7:37 am

The Morels of Trufant are clapping! Thank you for this article

mkelly
February 26, 2022 7:10 am

There would be no lying from the salesmen if the Michigan legislators had repealed the Granholm law requiring a renewable energy mix. The republicans held all three when Snyder was governor and did nothing.

The power company here where I live is hydroelectric. It was purchased by Wisconsin Electric so they could get some renewable energy. Our rates went up. Years later the coop that was mainly diesel generated electricity had to by back the hydro plant so they could get some renewable and our rates went up.

Everyone is being harmed by the lying. All the lying is underpinned by the worst lie of all that CO2 needs to be stopped or reduced.

Don
Reply to  mkelly
February 26, 2022 11:59 am

Hopefully we can evict the Wicked Witch of the North out of Lansing this next election, and get someone in who isn’t a (now out of the) closet authoritarian.

Wharfplank
February 26, 2022 7:49 am

Each inappropriate siting proposal should be met with another…a wind “farm” proximate to the closest Leftist House Rep.

Doonman
February 26, 2022 12:21 pm

When congress and state governments stop giving away tax dollars to promote wind and solar installations, it will be interesting to see how many “companies” are left to apply for local use permits.

My guess is none, just as it was before Jimmy Carter’s 1976 Dept. of Energy started handing out grants to build the original Altamont wind farm. But that was done to stop importing oil from untrustworthy Arabs.

Years later, many still stand abandoned and in disrepair. Then, new Obama era grants started appearing on the scene and new, larger wind turbines started to appear. But that was to save the planet from overheating.

Two completely separate justifications with the same modus operandi, to empty the US Treasury to their buddies.