Confessions of an Environmentalist

PragerU

Imagine you dedicated your life to environmentalism and all of its assumptions. Then imagine you realize those assumptions are all wrong. What would you do? Entrepreneur Brian Gitt tells his personal story and where it led him.

SUBSCRIBE 👉 https://www.prageru.com/join

environment #environmental #prageru

Script:

Just because you feel like you’re doing the right thing doesn’t mean you are. I have dedicated most of my life to protecting the environment. But I went about it the wrong way. I thought I was acting morally, protecting the well-being of people and the planet. In fact, I was harming both.

I believed solar and wind power were the future—our only hope of avoiding environmental catastrophe. Fossil fuels were the enemy, extracted from the earth by greedy companies plundering the land, polluting the air, and destroying ecosystems.

Keeping the wilderness as pristine as possible was my passion.

Ever since I was a teenager, I loved the outdoors. I led mountaineering expeditions in Alaska, spent months backpacking in the Rockies, and climbed the highest peaks in national parks. I only took jobs that I thought would protect the environment.

I started a company that built composting systems for cities and businesses.

I served as executive director of an organization that championed green construction policies.

And then I became CEO of a consulting firm that worked on making homes more energy efficient.

At that time, the Obama administration had earmarked billions of dollars in federal funding to create jobs in the energy sector, and my company won multi-year contracts valued at over $60 million.

I thought I was making a real difference in the world. I was surrounded by smart, successful, ambitious people who shared my beliefs and my heartfelt desire to change things. And my company had lots of money and lots of government support.

There was only one problem: our project to build more energy-efficient homes was an utter failure.

Making home energy improvements was much too expensive for middle-class families—even with generous government subsidies. Wealthy families, by contrast, loved the program. They got subsidies they didn’t need and the environmental cred they craved. In reality, though, we weren’t achieving much of anything—except wasting taxpayer money.

That’s not how the government saw it. The government celebrated the project as a big win.

It was a great photo op for politicians. But I knew the program didn’t deliver the jobs and energy savings we had promised.

Maybe I should have accepted the props and kept doing what I was doing.

But I couldn’t.

It didn’t take me long to realize that I had been living in a fantasy world: perfectly fine for making me feel good about myself and my mission, but perfectly useless for making real environmental change.

We’re wasting trillions of dollars on the false hope that wind and solar power are going to replace fossil fuels—oil, coal, and natural gas. Yet over the last 20 years, the world’s dependence on these fuels has declined by only three percentage points—from 87% to 84%.

That’s a pathetic return on our “investment.”

If we’re serious about confronting climate change, protecting the environment, and helping people climb out of energy poverty around the world, we need to stop chasing fantasies. Instead, it’s time to honestly examine all the costs and all the benefits of every energy source—wind, solar, oil, coal, natural gas, and nuclear.

Greenhouse gas emissions are a concern but not the only thing we need to consider when discussing energy and the environment. Here are five principles to help us evaluate the best energy options to protect both people and the planet.

One. Reliability: A reliable energy source provides power 24/7/365. States and countries that have doubled down on renewable sources face energy rationing and power blackouts.

Two. Affordability: The cost of energy affects the cost of everything else. If energy isn’t affordable, ordinary people can’t heat and cool their homes, and businesses can’t make the products we want and need.

For the full script, visit: https://www.prageru.com/video/confess…

4.3 22 votes
michael hart
January 10, 2023 2:09 pm

I welcome the author.
We are not a club or an organisation I welcome him to. I just welcome him to the (probable) truth.

This civilisation was built over hundreds of years, making incremental improvements using the finest minds of humanity. People who think they can rebuild it in a few years to fit the latest political fads are almost certainly wrong.

RickWill
Reply to  michael hart
January 10, 2023 4:25 pm

The “almost” is unnecessary qualification. If fact “almost certainly wrong” should be just “WRONG” and shouted. They are imbeciles with mush for brains.

The one thing that has changed is the power of propaganda. Rapid development of “Social Media” has enabled control of a powerful propaganda machine. That has developed in less than a decade. Mostly driven by the need to cancel Trump.

mleskovarsocalrrcom
January 10, 2023 2:13 pm

Can you say virtue signaling came home to roost?

Curious George
Reply to  mleskovarsocalrrcom
January 10, 2023 2:21 pm

They did not save the environment, but they enriched environmentalists. And that’s what it is about.

Tony
January 10, 2023 2:13 pm

Welcome to The Light Side.

alastairgray29yahoocom
January 10, 2023 2:14 pm

As the Good Book says in Luke ch 15 The parable pf the Pharisee and the tax collector
Joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Welcome to the skeptic fold tax farmer Go and commit green sin no more, and spread the word to the pious pharisees of the Church of Green who defile the planet with their
unreliable ghastly works

Stuart Baeriswyl
January 10, 2023 2:32 pm

I love the video, and plan to share it with family and friends. Very thoughtfully done👍🏻

Rud Istvan
January 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Another one red pilled. And PragerU has some reach.

It is obvious that wind and solar are more expensive stand alone, else they would not need continuing subsidies.
It is also obvious that they cannot stand alone because of intermittency. So the grid requires underutilized backup generation, making them even more expensive. Why the climate alarmists cannot see this is simply amazing. Net Zero—Never.

In essay True Cost of Wind I corrected the blatantly false ‘official’ EIA LCOE: correct CCGT was $58/MWh while on shore wind was $146/MWh ignoring subsidies. At about 2.5x wind is a real BAD deal.

joel
January 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Hard to see how any intelligent person deeply committed to improving the environment could ever have fallen for the green energy scam. My goodness. Three days after Bush, Jr. said he would not submit the Kyoto treaty to the Senate I realized what a scam that treaty was after internet searching, and I was working full time then with three kids.
BTW, I couldn’t get to the web page to see his entire talk. Does he blame brainwashing? Group think?
I suspect he isn’t too smart. Any smart person would have kept milking that corrupt entity in D.C. That’s what I see my peers and their children doing.

Scissor
Reply to  joel
January 10, 2023 3:48 pm

Criminals and corruption are drawn to DC like flies are to garbage.

n.n
Reply to  Scissor
January 10, 2023 4:25 pm

District of Corruption, Collusion, Conspiracy, Politically Congruent Constructs,

Dave Fair
Reply to  Scissor
January 10, 2023 4:45 pm

Been there, watched that, quit in disgust.

n.n
Reply to  joel
January 10, 2023 4:23 pm

It’s Green, not green, with “green” benefits.

Redge
Reply to  joel
January 10, 2023 10:50 pm

Don’t forget he was part of the green scam and milked it well enough to earn himself a few bob

Oldseadog
Reply to  joel
January 11, 2023 4:07 am

I can’t get the ” full script ” either.

JonasM
Reply to  Oldseadog
January 11, 2023 9:57 am

You have to go to YouTube to get the actual link:

John Shewchuk
January 10, 2023 3:05 pm

This guy could become another Tony Heller.

tom_gelsthorpe
January 10, 2023 3:08 pm

I loved the outdoors as soon as I could walk. As I grew bigger, I started calling myself a “conservationist” like Teddy Roosevelt, with all that “conserve” implies. Save what’s worth saving, but retain the ability to prioritize.

By the 1960s & 70s, I jumped on the “environmentalist” bandwagon, but I got over it, and went back to “conservationist.”

Environmentalism is a religion, as Michael Crichton later explained. Like many messianic religions, the purpose is to feel morally superior, and to revile lesser humans (everyone else) as sinners.

I became a career farmer and recreational sailor, worked constructively with nature, and still love nature.

What I don’t like is sanctimonious blowhards who can’t be practical, won’t prioritize, and don’t care who suffers the consequences. The author of this article took a long, hard road to arrive at a similar point of view.

TBeholder
Reply to  tom_gelsthorpe
January 11, 2023 9:52 am

The blowhards are no big deal. They are just a decorative breed, much like lapdogs.
On their own, they could not be much of a trouble for exactly the same reason: can’t be practical, can’t prioritize, can’t see even the obvious consequences. So if they actually try to run off and act on their delusions, they crash and burn quickly (see also: Plymouth).
If they work with others, either somebody explicitly points for them which way to go and not leave it to the voices in their heads, in which case they can do whatever tricks they were taught just like anyone else… or not (see also: Sergei Witte). Well, they can «offer advice on a cosmic scale and of equally cosmic stupidity». So they try to lead, stray and only create more confusion.
Lapdogs are viable only on someone’s leash. Annoying as their self-important yapping may be, they don’t really matter, but those who hold their leashes might.

tom_gelsthorpe
January 10, 2023 3:12 pm

Splendid essay, Mr. Rotter. It’s a rare, brave soul who can learn from error, and grow as boldly as you have.

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  tom_gelsthorpe
January 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Charles didn’t write it, he posted it.

tom_gelsthorpe
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
January 10, 2023 4:11 pm

It was a good essay.

Ireneusz Palmowski
January 10, 2023 3:27 pm

There will be very heavy precipitation in northern California on Saturday, January 14.
comment image

JCM
January 10, 2023 3:40 pm

I’m not sure when environment and energy got mixed into one thing, but it is a false narrative. They are completely distinct matters.

If your community is exposed to drought or flood risk i.e. hydrological extremes, or temperature variability outside the expected range, this has nothing to do with energy. It has to do with the actual environment.

JCM
Reply to  JCM
January 10, 2023 4:02 pm

It’s as if the related factors of landuse planning, infrastructure maintenance, environmental conservation, and wealth have been completely omitted from discussion of hazard exposure and vulnerability. Deficits in any of these factors leads to greater vulnerability to weather related hazards.

There is a distinction between conservationists and environmentalists that is often overlooked. Conservationists manage the land in a way to maximize benefit to humanity. Environmentalists manage the land in a way to minimize human impact. This is an important distinction. Environmentalists are radical idealists.

There is a growing confusion between what environmentalism really means. I think most people actually mean to say they are conservationists.

This is why people like Patrick Moore left greenpeace. Greenpeace was a conservation society – one which balanced green with peace (i.e. peace = the human dimension). Now it is a radical environmentalist association. The peace aspect no longer applies.

The climate purists and environmentalists completely omit the human dimension. If one is worried about the world being left to their children they are conservationists, not environmentalists.

RickWill
Reply to  JCM
January 10, 2023 4:43 pm

“Climate Change” is the universal scapegoat. It is the basis of all human ills. There is nothing in human experience that cannot be blamed on human caused climate change. Floods, fires, famine, hurricanes, blizzards typhoons, cyclones, weather bombs, blackouts, pandemics all worse and now unmanageable due to climate change.

It is the gift that continues to give for all incompetent sods in positions of authority unwilling to take responsibility for their failures. We were trying to do the right thing but climate change meant we could not achieve our objective.

JCM
Reply to  RickWill
January 10, 2023 4:48 pm

I see your point, and it is valid. The irony is that the planet Earth has never been a better place to live, ever before, in history. Somehow the improvements have outdone the “failures”. But, there is an emerging culture which resents human flourishing. This is something for the psychologists to explore.

doonman
Reply to  JCM
January 10, 2023 8:20 pm

Self flagellation as an imposed result of admitting sin is a reward, not a punishment.

Last edited 25 days ago by doonman
RickWill
Reply to  JCM
January 10, 2023 11:39 pm

Somehow the improvements have outdone the “failures”.

I can see the emergence of failures outdoing improvements.

There is a mountain of inertia building based on wind and solar being the needed panacea for meeting energy needs. That is a massive illusion. A huge waste of resources. So much of the energy intensive junk cannot be recycled.

Offshore wind turbines might provide some temporary benefit as artificial reefs because they will make trawling impossible over areas where they collapse. So essentially protected breeding grounds once the oil disperses.

Once the turbines begin to shed parts or even totally collapse, they become impossible to maintain. There are already offshore wind farms with “no-sail” restrictions>

At the same time, the companies advised that a “no sail zone” should be established around eight other wind farms in the UK, Germany, and Denmark as a precaution.

The failed machine was less than 10 years old. These offshore wind farms will be like a stinking carcasses that no one wants to go near. They will become reefs of the future.

cilo
Reply to  JCM
January 11, 2023 3:45 am

…nothing to do with energy…

Man the inventor tames his environment almost exclusively by releasing energy. From cutting wood for a shelter, to the more relevant here, burning wood to stay warm/ cook/ scare off beasties. It has been demonstrated that living standards in all categories improve as energy use increases. This includes the nature conservation effect of having enough energy available so you don’t need go out every day and chop down a tree for fire. Or kill worms when you dig your baby’s grave…
But of course, as many here point out, the conversation is not about energy, environment or science, it is about centralising ownership of our entire planet.

Jeff Alberts
January 10, 2023 3:40 pm

Now he just needs to realize that “greenhouse gas emissions” are not a problem, period.

n.n
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
January 10, 2023 4:28 pm

Net Zero effect with greening… emit.

cwright
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
January 11, 2023 2:38 am

“If we’re serious about confronting climate change….”
Yes, he’s made very good progress toward reality. But he has some way to go yet.
Chris

Janice Moore
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
January 11, 2023 10:34 am

I wish your comment had been the top one, Mr. Alberts. This article does as much to help AGW as to counter it. It should have, thus, a rating of 2.5.

As cwright and Gary and Theo (and probably others I missed) point out, author Gitt is still ignorant of a lot.

Two big errors:

1. Greenhouse gas emissions are a concern

2. “Climate Change” is a real problem that is dangerous enough to need “addressing.”

comment image

Opie Gitt. You didn’t do all the assigned reading did you.

Last edited 25 days ago by Janice Moore
sherro01
January 10, 2023 4:05 pm

There is a spectrum of ability in every society. Some are brighter than others.
History shows that past societies that gave disproportionate power to the less bright did not prosper so well.
In our current Western world, we have permitted far too much influence for the dumbos.
A dumbo is one of the class, for example, unable to think much past the glamour of kindy stories about sustainability, conservation, the environment and similar catch words.
Our generous society has kindly permitted them to flex their limited intellectual muscle, while paradoxically allowing some mobs of the very wealthy to prey upon the rest of us -and them.
You are not automatically bright and authorised to influence our directions just because you were clever by taking money from our pockets into theirs. That can involve luck, greed, illegality as well as being clever.
Society needs better ways to improve the making of fundamental decisions like going to war or not, the open ability to speak and act freely and (for just now) the application of free enterprise to advance our energy supply systems. The are too important for dumbos.
People, by the age of 50 or so, have usually demonstrated where they sit in the spectrum of ability. Draw on them for guidance on matters that affect us all. It is more rewarding than being part of the childish cancel culture.
Geoff S

TBeholder
Reply to  sherro01
January 11, 2023 10:56 am

we have permitted

It’s not entirely clear whom do you mean.

Western world

we have permitted

Our generous society

while paradoxically allowing some mobs of the very wealthy

That can involve luck, greed, illegality as well as being clever.

Society needs

This just looks like you are not quite sure whether you think theocracy (whether under a fig leaf like now, or proudly naked) is the problem or the solution for you.
This matter is very simple. If you have a theocracy, the axis of power is Holier Than Thou. So you will get virtue signaling types floating to the top. It’s going to be some mix of opportunists, psychopaths and monkeys mindlessly imitating the motions, usually in this order. The specific trappings of “virtue” change, as a matter of moral fashions (also known as “it’s $CURRENT_YEAR”) — necessarily change, exactly because so many empty skulls float up and create a clog, thus the next wave needs to find a new hole, so clever opportunists and high-functioning psychopaths who lead it will manage to add a new spin. Once all relatively sane paths within reach are depleted… someone still needs to adjust definition of The True Path to circumvent a traffic jam on the road to power. And eventually will, because many are interested in the same. Duh. This also lowers the standards.
That’s how you get from mostly benign hypocritical Quakerism (paying for “other grain”) to Prohibition, to “requisite principles for peace”, and then to ruined Detroit, Arab Spring, Energiewende, etc.
Well, that and pseudoscience, but it’s a result of the power structure too.
If you could somehow reset the state of a theocracy to arbitrary or random values, it would just follow the same kind of trajectory, thus (unless it crashes first) eventually move from something generally useful to mostly harmless BS to something dangerously insane.

Last edited 25 days ago by TBeholder
Chris Hanley
January 10, 2023 4:14 pm

An erstwhile Australian prime minister claimed ‘climate change’ was ‘the great moral issue of our age’ as if limiting future the global av. temperature to 1.5C above pre-industrial were virtuous in itself.
A warmer or cooler future climate is not an ethical issue after all the planet doesn’t care one way or another although plant life will benefit from the inevitable higher future CO2 concentrations so that is good in a non-ethical sense.
The self-appointed environment ‘clerisy’ are fond of framing ‘climate change’ and all that term implies as a moral issue but as Alex Epstein says it is the promotion of human flourishing that is ethical or put another way the hindering of human advancement in the name of virtue that is immoral.

RickWill
January 10, 2023 4:18 pm

Greenhouse gas emissions are a concern

Why? It simply shows how you have been thoroughly duped by this nonsense about the “greenhouse effect”. So called “greenhouse gasses” have no impact on Earth’s energy balance. There are powerful feedbacks that stabilise Earth’s energy balance. Even glaciation is subject to a powerful feedback that limits its extent.

The single place on the planet showing the greatest warming is the Greenland plateau in the middle of winter when it has no sunlight. The January temperature has increased from -30C to -20C in the last 70 years. Explain that and you start to get a grip on what controls Earth;’s energy balance. And it has nothing to do with CO2 because the Antarctic plateau has a long run cooling trend.

If you are smart enough to appreciate the fantasy world of wind and solar energy then take a bit more time to understand the fantasy of “greenhouse effect”. It is first order drivel created from a myopic and limited understanding of how Earth’s energy is controlled.

Gary Pearse
January 10, 2023 4:58 pm

“I began re-examining everything I had believed about energy and the environment.”

And then:

“If we’re serious about confronting climate change, …”

Why is it that new sceptics seem to resist taking the last obvious step? If charlatans are falsely exploiting society for fame and fortune and even revealing unabashedly their political goals, why would one think that their ‘science’ would be correct, lofty and unconnected to to unseemly self-interested crookery?

I wrote to Michael Moore when his “Planet of the Humans” film project found out homely truths about the scam of ineffective windmills, solar and cutting forests to burn “to save the planet” telling him that he was on the verge of an even bigger discovery – the phony rationale for this activity. He hasn’t got there yet.

Even Michael Schellenberger still accepts that something must be done about climate change. Judy Curry, the Joan of Arc of climate science has been ambivalent about it, although it seems she has been on a journey in the right direction.

I guess letting go after having invested so much is a process

B Zipperer
Reply to  Gary Pearse
January 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Gary,
Letting go is difficult.
A true believers identity is wrapped up in their commentment to the cause,
so to jettison a belief requires changing one’s identity. That is really, really hard.
[No, I’m not going to debate gender/trans issues here. Way off-topic! lol]

We need to encourage those who have seen just part of the elephant that is
the mirage of NetZero policies. In time, they may see the whole elephant: that CO2 is
not a pollutant.

As someone on WUWT has mentioned, there are “Dupes and Knaves”.
Most people have been duped into believing the “climate crisis” – by the knaves,
who do or should know better. [scientists, grifters, and journalists who aren’t doing their jobs].

Buy their books. Subscribe to their blogs/substacks. Comment with civility [and decent links!]
and maybe even humor.
As to the knaves: civility, links and RIDICULE.

roaldjlarsen
January 10, 2023 5:43 pm

Yeah, in the real world there’ still no “Grenhouse Gases”!

Temperature potential in the atmosphere is dictated by pressure, mass and gravity, the density of – and water vapor in the atmosphere only delays cooling, it does not produce any energy (warming) no matter what random molecules you are adding, or where it comes from!

ATheoK
January 10, 2023 6:35 pm

“The more research I did, the more I realized that my project was just a symptom of a much bigger problem.

We’re wasting trillions of dollars on the false hope that wind and solar power are going to replace fossil fuels”

Welcome to an outer band of reality. Be aware that you are far from realizing the true level of damage you helped foster.

Let us know when you realize that fossil fuels rescued mankind and their animals from endless misery and helped man raise civilization, knowledge, life spans, medicines and survival. That our governments fully plan to eliminate all of those benefits along with fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are responsible for all plastics, all alloyed steel, metals previously impossible to refine and utilize.
For medicines, advanced efficient insulation, modern fabrics, modern clothing, MRIs, Cat scans, ultrasound, even the gut used for internal stitches.

Pay close attention to what the orchestrators of the UNFCCC and IPCC bureaucracies have clearly stated! That their goal is wealth redistribution, nothing to do with weather.
Hint, they want the entire globe under unelected elites while the rest of us provide the muscle to supply the needs/foods of the elites.

People will be harmed!

Instead of pronouncing that you are an ‘environmentalist’ study biology extensively. That is, learn every component, variable, biological information regarding and comprising the lives of a complex animal.

Then you might have learned something worthwhile.

Keep in mind that we are under totalitarian rule here in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and most of Europe. These selfish narcissist egomaniac politicians and bureaucrats who are convinced that they have to utterly beggar everyone by eliminating fossil fuels and all of the civilization and quality of life.

Nor do they care how many they kill since most of them have convinced by Malthusians that there are too many humans.
Eliminating fossil fuels will eliminate fossil fuel tractors and harvesters, as well as the fertilizers used to facilitate crop fecundity and productiveness.

Harvests will plummet, people, especially babies and children will starve then succumb during the cold winters of cold, disease, nutritional maladies and starvation.

Baby formula? Made through extensive use of fossil fuels. They will be left in the ground with fossil fuels as nearly useless renewable energy is mandated instead of reliable consistent high quality electricity is shut down.

Babies? Apparently none of the bureaucrats have considered babies. Families will have to start having large numbers of children so that a few make it into adulthood.

eastbaylarry
Reply to  ATheoK
January 10, 2023 9:24 pm

You are on the right track, but remember:
We are the carbon they want to reduce

guidvce4
January 10, 2023 6:41 pm

“If we’re serious about confronting climate change….”. He’s not quite all the way there, yet. By mentioning climate change he is assuming man has anything to do with the climate and can change it by altering man’s behavior. Still a bit off from accepting reality that man can do nothing to change what the planet does to regulate itself.

Kit P
January 10, 2023 6:47 pm

I have noticed a couple of things about environmentalist. First they put very little effort into learning about the environment and how to protect it.

Second they think driving a car to the mountains and going for a walk is protecting it.

Third they are morally superior.

One of the things I liked about working at nuke plants was not living in the city.

So I am dating a teacher and get invited for a dinner. I am the only one who is not a teacher. What becomes clear is that I have been invited to challenge my evil ways.

The other teachers are watching to see how I respond. They ave spent many weekends at my log house in the mountains. Finally I get up. I turn off the A/C and open the windows. Turn off all the lights but one and come back with her garbage can. Then we have quiz about about how we protect the environment and my house.

John Oliver
Reply to  Kit P
January 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Good post.That is exactly what we need to demand all these teachers do- practice what they preach. Because they have brain washed several generations of children now; to the point where our most fundamental freedoms are at stake. Worst of all? The false narratives have opened the door for would-be tyrants to carryout a soft coup.

cmitylliam
January 10, 2023 7:38 pm

HUNDREDS of $trillions will be wasted by NetZero 2050 on non-dispatchable, short-lived, erratic renewables when nuclear fission’s high eROI permits creation of electricity on demand. manufacture of fuels, and can meet all other demands of our global population of 8 billion. Together with ultra-supercritical thermal plant technology that exceeds 63% efficiency, the global long term energy solution is available NOW. If you don’t like CO2, then you should love safe USC nuclear passive cool down thermal plants. Of course, if and when we do deplete fossil fuels, we will need to create CO2 to keep the planet green and growing enough food for even more than 8 billion folks.
Here’s to a great future. http://www.unpopular-truth.com

John Hultquist
January 10, 2023 9:25 pm

Another slow learner, it seems.

zzebowa
January 11, 2023 12:16 am

You need to properly wake up, there is no climate crisis, CO2 is good for the planet, and the only thing we need to do is produce more, and jail the Marxists who perpetrated the fraudulent lie that it isnt.

Ireneusz Palmowski
January 11, 2023 1:43 am

Precipitation in California on January 14 may be very heavy, due to the overlap of lows in the upper and lower troposphere (there may be very strong winds from the Pacific). A cold front in the upper troposphere will condense water vapor over the ocean.
comment image

Last edited 25 days ago by Ireneusz Palmowski
John Hultquist
Reply to  Ireneusz Palmowski
January 11, 2023 9:52 am

Cliff Mass has a complete set of graphics.

junkkmale
January 11, 2023 4:09 am

20 years ago I coined the term #enviROI, whereby a project to save the planet might seem ‘green’ and noble in ambition, but actually turn out worse for it.
It came from my Civ.Eng days, where the unofficial motto was ‘an engineer can do for shilling what anyone else needs a pound to complete’.
Resources need to be weighed against outcomes.
In green terms, if the enviROI is poor, that means money is diverted away from something that can offer a better result.
Interestingly, in the period since, I have noticed failures in enviROI at the altar of green PR, and hence politics, in an unholy alliance with process taking precedence over product. I got on a ‘Citizens Assembly’ last year run by a council driven insane by #NetZero. Horror story.
Now over retirement age I was pondering continuing my passion for combining environmental benefits for the future with my engineering and ad/marketing/product design experiences. A 3D scanner and printer sit on my desk; WordPress scripts do for pennies what hundreds of thousands hoovered out of the family nestegg decades ago.
With Covid over I started networking again. I was, and am encouraged. There is awesome talent out there, in complement.In creative… designers, SEO experts…
In complement with business, state organ dept. wise.. not so much.
My first foray was a disaster. It was for government funding to reduce plastics packaging. Though late to the game I assembled a local dream team that would be required… mainly in areas I knew were essential but needed funding first I did not have in the personal kitty any more to drive the PR/sales spiral upwards. Which I laid out clearly.
But it was assessed and rejected, rudely, by grey, anonymous number crunchers much more comfy handing millions to corporate entities with pitching departments who handed these folk what they needed to feel safe that all boxes got ticked.
But ticked boxes have got and still get us nowhere. The money for the above was ‘left over’ EU funding, years hence, that still sloshes about. Greedily savoured by consultants, and mentors and ‘experts’… none of whom often actually DO anything.
All so a NGO boss or minister can tootle off to COP 28, job done. No actual result, but process followed to a vastly expensive dotted ‘i’ and crossed ‘t’. So this post resonated. A lot.
I am discouraged, yes. Frankly depressed enough to consider taking my knocks with past glories and fade quietly. The passion is still there. So is the shed. But I am really feeling well past dealing with the system and its idiots any more. We’ll see. I am still attending the odd event.
Who knows who I might encounter to see sparks fly once more?
And actually create things to actually make the world a better place?

Ireneusz Palmowski
January 11, 2023 5:06 am

Continued heavy rainfall from the Pacific Ocean is reaching California.
comment image

Gunga Din
January 11, 2023 6:37 am

I clicked on the link. It went to “prageru” but it said “page not found” for the video itself.
Maybe you have to subscribe to view but seems like that should be the message instead of “page not found”.
Does prageru link to YouTube for some of its content?

John Hultquist
Reply to  Gunga Din
January 11, 2023 9:56 am

I clicked on the white triangle in the middle of the image — video came right up.

Gunga Din
Reply to  John Hultquist
January 11, 2023 2:10 pm

Not sure what happened. Never saw a white triangle.
BUT, now there seems to be a direct YouTube link at the top of the post that works.

As far as this guys change, many current “skeptics” accepted was was first presented. (Even Anthony) Digging deeper, they discovered there was reason to rethink what they had accepted without question.
Then politics entered and the “labeling” began.

Ireneusz Palmowski
January 11, 2023 8:10 am

The actual front will not reach California until overnight, with highs over Nevada blocking it over the Mountains.
By January 15, the flood threat will increase.
comment image

TBeholder
January 11, 2023 9:21 am

Oh, well. It was not exactly fast, but he is here.

The basic problem with our society is a disconnect between consensus reality and actual reality. We actually have no shortage of natural leaders. But they cannot actually lead us anywhere. They are operating in consensus reality rather than actual reality. Their joysticks are not plugged in. When the consensus is nonsense, sober good sense is nonsense. Nonsense is no use to anyone.

Sam Altman is not a blithering idiot by Mencius Moldbug

Alexander Rawls
January 11, 2023 2:32 pm

Wait ’til he figures out that CO2, the beginning of the food chain for all life on earth, is still at semi-starvation levels and the planet needs more of it, not less; that its tiny warming effect is not in the least bit dangerous; and that the only actual climate danger always has been and always will be global cooling.

HutchesHunches
January 11, 2023 7:30 pm

Congratulations on your enlightenment. I had a similar conversion 40 years ago when the 70’s “energy crisis” first ignited this Renewable Energy craze. I studied it then and came to the same conclusion you have. Wind and Solar will never work because they’re unreliable (intermittent) and unaffordable. But the climate change fools don’t want to learn from history so the best thing your can do now is to focus your energy on being an advocate for the truth. Hopefully you and the best minds of your generation can see the light and start working to convince the sheep that currently dominate humanity that Catastrophic Climate Change is a big lie. Your really need to get started on this before the Net Zero Zealots take you and my children and grandchildren back to the stone age. It probably won’t happen in my lifetime, but the way it’s headed, it will happen in yours.

Verified by MonsterInsights