Our “carbon-free for all” brought to you by Google

Guest “I couldn’t make this sort of schist up if I was trying” by David Middleton

A “carbon-free future for all” would also be unsustainable for all. All life on Earth would cease to exist in a “carbon-free future.”

Maybe the folks at Google should Google Duck Duck Go the word “carbon.”

A MESSAGE FROM OUR CEO
Our third decade of climate action: Realizing a carbon-free future

Sundar Pichai
CEO of Google and Alphabet
Published Sep 14, 2020

A few years ago flooding devastated…

[…]

In our third decade of climate action, we are going even further to help build a carbon-free future for everyone. Here’s how:

*We’re eliminating our entire carbon legacy, effective today.

*We are the first major company to make a commitment to operate on 24/7 carbon-free energy in all our data centers and campuses worldwide. This is far more challenging than the traditional approach of matching energy usage with renewable energy, but we’re working to get this done by 2030.

*We’re investing in technologies to help our partners and people all over the world make sustainable choices. For example, we are investing in manufacturing regions to enable 5 GW of new carbon-free energy, helping 500 cities reduce their carbon emissions and finding new ways to empower 1 billion people through our products.

*We estimate that the commitments we’re making today will directly generate more than 20,000 new jobs in clean energy and associated industries, in America and around the world, by 2025.

[…]

Google

Let’s accept the notion that they mean a “carbon-free energy future for all”… No source of energy or power generation is “carbon-free.” Neither solar panels, nor wind turbines are “carbon-free.” Hydroelectric power plants aren’t “carbon-free.” Nuclear power plants aren’t “carbon-free.” They all require cement and/or steel.

Two of the goofiest climate phrases:

1. Carbon-free future
  2. Fossil-free future

The first is a future without life and the second is a future without death.

Let’s get Ron White’s opinion:

4.9 19 votes
Steve Case
June 2, 2021 10:40 pm

comment image

The notion that a warmer greener world with more rain, longer growing seasons and more arable land could be sold as a looming catastrophic disaster is testimony to the greatest propaganda triumph the world has ever seen.

Last edited 4 months ago by Steve Case
Herbert
Reply to  Steve Case
June 3, 2021 2:08 am

Steve,
To quote Lord Lawson-
“The current global warming orthodoxy contains a grain of truth … and a mountain of nonsense.”- Speech to the NZ Round Table,15 November,2007.

Steve Case
Reply to  Herbert
June 3, 2021 5:51 am

Great quote, I’m adding it to my file of quotes factoids and smart remarks.

Michael in Dublin
Reply to  Herbert
June 3, 2021 7:52 am

Correction:
“The current global warming orthodoxy contains a grain of truth … and a mountain of nonsense horse manure (or some other excrement).”

goracle
Reply to  Herbert
June 3, 2021 9:09 pm

GW orthodoxy is that humans are the MAIN driver of rising temperatures due to CO2 emissions from all sorts of human activities…. where is the grain of truth in that?

Last edited 4 months ago by goracle
Alexy Scherbakoff
June 2, 2021 10:42 pm

Do they truly believe that or are they just saying that?

Richard (the cynical one)
Reply to  Alexy Scherbakoff
June 2, 2021 11:09 pm

They believe in the endgame – a world depleted of the vast majority of humans, with most of those remaining existing in a primitive condition in serf-itude to their elite green aristocratic betters. The billions of deaths and incalculable misery that would take are an unfortunate but necessary cost.

Reply to  Richard (the cynical one)
June 3, 2021 12:20 am

So, where’s the cynicism? Stating facts and extrapolating their eventual conclusion is not cynical, is it?

Jeffery P
Reply to  paranoid goy
June 3, 2021 7:18 am

Facts?

DonM
Reply to  paranoid goy
June 3, 2021 9:11 am

So, where is the paranoia? Asking a rhetorical question and following it up with a brief summary & statement does reveal any paranoid tendencies at all, does it?

leowaj
Reply to  Richard (the cynical one)
June 3, 2021 6:45 am

Let me offer what I think they really want. Yes, they want to cut down on the world’s population, but given how resistant they are to the idea of committing Seppuku themselves, I think their endgame is to enjoy the spoils of what’s remaining. For themselves. Consider recent social-political movements that have demonstrated this perfectly. I think of BLM and the recent revelation that one of its high ranking leaders took the money and ran. It’s all about selfish gain.

AndyHce
Reply to  Richard (the cynical one)
June 3, 2021 9:38 am

unfortunate?

Reply to  Alexy Scherbakoff
June 3, 2021 3:38 am

The clueless followers believe that — but their leaders don’t. It’s not about CO2 or the climate — just power and money … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOpOnaRMGCY

Mike
June 2, 2021 10:56 pm

*We’re eliminating our entire carbon legacy, effective today.”

Now that I gotta see…once I understand what it even means….

Last edited 4 months ago by Mike
Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 2:08 am

Does it mean they will no longer employ carbon based lifeforms?

Pauleta
Reply to  StuM
June 3, 2021 5:48 am

From the look of it, they never employed carbon based lifeforms.

Kevin kilty
Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 6:17 am

Should the Board of Directors watch their backsides?

Neo
Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 8:25 am

Does that include all the buses and trucks on Google campuses ?

Doonman
Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 7:00 pm

It means that the new Google headquarters in Mountain View CA., called the Googleplex with over 2 million square feet of offices, will be torn down to have all the carbon in the steel framework that supports the massive buildings removed.

You can’t claim to be carbon free when you use carbon now, can you?

Mike
Reply to  Doonman
June 3, 2021 7:41 pm

will be torn down to have all the carbon in the steel framework that supports the massive buildings removed.”

Ha ha ha

n.n
June 2, 2021 10:59 pm

Can they abort the baby… uh, “burden”, cannibalize her profitable parts, sequester her carbon pollutants, and have her, too?

The Magic 8 Ball says: Yes, Yes They Can, and people… persons will take a knee, beg, and bray their praises.

A progressive path and grade. One step forward, two steps backward.

We have now entered The Twilight Fringe.

Last edited 4 months ago by n.n
Mike
June 2, 2021 10:59 pm

No source of energy or power generation is “carbon-free.”

What about rubbing your hands together?
Something we will all be doing a lot of in the future it seems..

Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 12:22 am

“What about rubbing your hands together?”

As we say around here; even a porridge-eating machine burns carbohydrates…

Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 2:09 am

Your hands are carbon based 🙂

Tom Johnson
Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 4:25 am

You exhale, don’t you?

Don Perry
Reply to  Mike
June 3, 2021 5:33 am

You burn glucose and produce carbon dioxide in the muscle tissues to rub your hands together.

Mike
Reply to  Don Perry
June 3, 2021 7:42 pm

Damn!

HAS
June 2, 2021 11:00 pm

I’m rather attached to my carbon.

Clyde Spencer
Reply to  HAS
June 3, 2021 3:27 pm

It does have a rather good ring to it.

Alasdair
June 2, 2021 11:49 pm

This CEO is merely seeking to monetise global ignorance to the advantage of Google at the extreme cost and danger to the rest of us.
Google should be split up and removed from its monopoly.

Sunshine
June 3, 2021 12:08 am

I didn’t go far, I stopped at 1:30.

At 0:35, it starts, although it started earlier but more subtle when we realize the attractant.

A young boy lying on a bed, body down with open dangling legs: At 0:52, what child breathes (inhales/exhales) while smiling that way looking at T.V.?

At 1:12, why would they post such a clip? A young boy holding an iPhone against a wall with his small hips slightly protruding with a finger dangling off his young mouth lip? Notice his legwear, and the black image pointing upward and inward.

Is it me imagining stuff or am I truly interpreting what I’m seeing?

What I saw is child sexualization. A bunch of subtle pedophiles attracting other pedos.

Few are listening to the speech, what they have in mind are the opening clips to entice the audience while comments are closed.

Enough said.

Sunshine
Reply to  Sunshine
June 3, 2021 12:19 am

BTW, I don’t care about climate-oriented issues (we can’t control or change the climate) and investment thereof issues as most of us already know about the climate scam, courtesy of this most excellent website. And my deepest respect to this website for informing us.

But, I can’t go past what I saw as an opener in the Alphabet clip.

Reply to  Sunshine
June 3, 2021 12:25 am

Really? Really? You HAD to go do that? I had absolutely zero interest in the video, never noticed it was there (adblocker?), now I have to go looking for the darn link, just to see what you saw.

..and I really don’t want to see sheet like that!

Sunshine
Reply to  paranoid goy
June 3, 2021 12:31 am

I learned to look at a video with audio muted. Astounding what one discovers! Best regards.

Reply to  Sunshine
June 3, 2021 12:41 am

Oh, well, I’ll take your word for it. Even on the Google site itself, the video refuses to play for me. My anti-satanist, paedophile-detesting hatred of Bolsheviks and their libtard communist minions must have soaked right through my keyboard into my CPU!
Maybe I should “cure” my computer by watching a few of Disney’s latest offerings?

saveenergy
Reply to  Sunshine
June 3, 2021 12:47 am

“What I saw is child sexualization.
I think you need serious help.
( Castration maybe a way forward for you. )
until you’ve been done … KEEP AWAY FROM KIDS

A bunch of subtle pedophiles attracting other pedos.”
It takes one to know one.

Last edited 4 months ago by saveenergy
ozspeaksup
Reply to  Sunshine
June 3, 2021 2:50 am

ah the blank spot in the post is a film clip?
odd its not showing on my screen in Aus at all

Oldseadog
Reply to  ozspeaksup
June 3, 2021 4:09 am

Me too in GB.

Kevin
Reply to  Oldseadog
June 3, 2021 7:46 am

And me too in the US.

Owen
Reply to  Sunshine
June 3, 2021 5:09 am

Unfortunately I don’t think you are. These people are truly evil. Remember that twatter wouldn’t even take down child pr0n even after being informed about it. I quit watching after a couple of minutes… no way am I going to sit through over one hour of this garbage but I will note that they have “no duty to update forward looking statements “ so that tells you right off the bat that they are just spouting propaganda.

Martin
June 3, 2021 12:09 am

A few details on how they are going to achieve this (real stuff that works now, not just ideas) would be helpful. Put up or shut up.

Reply to  Martin
June 3, 2021 12:34 am

Oh, you dear, naive innocent, you! They will simply pay teams of urinalists to build an advertising campaign extolling their virtuous successes until every child knows it’s true, of course! We will know it’s true, because, when you google it, all the most popular links will point at ‘reliable’, ‘trustworthy’ and ‘credible’ sources telling you so.
The same technique got three quarters of the world running around in face nappies, begging to partake in a genetics experiment that will make their metabolism the patented property of Baal Gates et cie…
…or are you going to start doubting The News now?

H.R.
Reply to  paranoid goy
June 3, 2021 4:20 am

“Baal Gates”

I am soooo stealing that!

Reply to  H.R.
June 3, 2021 5:29 am

…and for today’s-only, 2-4-1 special, I give you his Holey Profit, “Antonchrist Frauci” for free!
Spread the gospel, brother…

Leo Smith
Reply to  Martin
June 3, 2021 5:40 am

Cat-bellers of the world unite!
You have nothing to lose but your simplistic impractical moronic ‘solutions’

saveenergy
June 3, 2021 12:23 am

“I couldn’t make this sort of schist up if I was trying”

Well, you should try harder ! … if others can do it, why can’t you ???

eo
June 3, 2021 12:36 am

It is all rhetoric for that is all the voters and the politicians could understand. Short catchy phrases is all that counts and could get followers. To name a few “Zero Wastes’—perpetual motion?? Yes there are lots of patents granted for perpetual motion machine. Wastes is define by the Zero Wastes adherent as less than what could be afforded. Hence a billionaire buying and traveling in his five seater private jet is not generating any “wastes” because he could purchased and used a Boeing 777 jet that is the baseline. If he had used a A380, the difference above the baseline is the wastes. ” Organic food”— the poor will have to contend eating inorganic food. That is why carbon dioxide generated from human respiration is not counted in the UNFCCC because all the food digested are purely from sunlight, and rainwater. Hence, all carbon dioxide from human respiration is carbon neutral. In fact current agricultural output and the elimination of mass starvation has been supported by “aged and matured solar energy of late Paleozoic vintage ” ( sound like a good label for fossil fuel).

Mr. Lee
June 3, 2021 12:39 am

Kate lost me at “Sustainability Officer”.

Owen
Reply to  Mr. Lee
June 3, 2021 5:20 am

I can’t help but to be angry and – to be honest- a bit jealous when I think about the money she makes for doing absolutely f**k all. I know that resentment is a defect of character but I must confess to it

Peta of Newark
June 3, 2021 1:51 am

Quote:”how we’re working to create a carbon-free future for all”

Hun, what ‘work; is involved? What wait for a ‘future’

Just go around your ‘operation; and wherever you see a plug in a wall, switch it off and yank it out.
Ask all your employees to do that, wherever they are and when they’ve done, switch off the lights, close the door, go home and don;t come back
Simpler than a really simple thing and could all be done comfortably inside the hour

What you waiting for hun, this is a climate emergency after all, try acting as if it were one.

bonbon
June 3, 2021 1:57 am

See the disclaimer at the beginning :
¨We do not undertake any duty to update forward looking statements¨
This is all about Mark Carney’s Great Reset, the Davos thing. No investments will be tolerated without such forward looking statements. All will be vetted before a cent moves.
BlackRock is likely involved here – even with minority shares they exert global policy.
At various large firms this kind of bluster arrives at employee mailboxes regularly. Read the fine print, though.
So follow the money trail, to the green swamp…. Mark carney seeing himself as the Helmsman is guiding this ship.

Joao Martins
June 3, 2021 2:35 am

What the Pichai circular says is that Google has invented a good seive: effective today, the electric cables connecting each computer used by Google to the mains is fitted with a contraption that can tell the “good” electrons comming from “renewable” energy from the “bad” electrons comming from thermo power stations.

fretslider
June 3, 2021 2:45 am

Let’s accept the notion that they…

…follow the script, recite the lines in the required postmodern style; even though they haven’t the foggiest notion of what it means. The optics are good.

Doubtless they prefer Silicon based life…

Last edited 4 months ago by fretslider
Robert of Texas
June 3, 2021 3:26 am

Google was hijacked many years ago by the Marxists, the woke, and the stupid (OK, I may be using redundant words here). It is only a matter of time before it is broken up into small pieces and then stomped by the competition…like AT&T was. I for one cannot wait.

Alan the Brit
June 3, 2021 4:06 am
  1. Carbon-free future
  2. Fossil-free future

I have always been astounded at the level of scientific ignorance displayed by the public at large! They bleat on & on (some are actually good friends to boot) about Carbon this & Carbon that, I point out to them that all known life on Earth is Carbon based!
No Carbon = No Life on Earth! I also point out that a “girl’s best friend” are pure Carbon, therefore must all be discarded & if they gave them to me I’d dispose of them safely & profitably (I don’t mention that bit) on their behalf!!! I often used to confuse brainwashed engineering graduates I’ve worked with when I ask if any of them could lend me a “carbon based writing/sketching implement, & when they ask what I mean I simply say, “Oh that’s a pencil to you! The bit running through the middle is pure carbon, & the casing is carbon based vegetation!”. It’s the same when they talk about fracking, I point out that fracking has been going on for over 70 years, & the UK has been doing it in the North Sea for over 40 years, the ONLY new technology is horizontal drilling, & the only negative incidents have been as a result of poor site techniques, not the fracking itself!!! Sadly however, the renewable energy sector, heavily subsidised by the taxpayer to make it profitable, employs a powerful propaganda machine to lie, deceive, distort information, just to safeguard its massive income generation scheme!!! They are the same people who set out to destroy the use of DDT, & to my knowledge, all negative claims about it, especially increased rick of cancer, were unfounded, but the intended damage had already been done!!!

Last edited 4 months ago by Alan the Brit
Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  Alan the Brit
June 3, 2021 4:53 am

“Fossil-free future”

So we’ll have to destroy all the fossils in museums and geology labs?

Kevin kilty
Reply to  Joseph Zorzin
June 3, 2021 6:55 am

No. They are refering to you and me.

Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  Joseph Zorzin
June 5, 2021 3:33 am

The Creationists- yes, they are devious. Back in the ’70s I often debated with a “born again” friend who was under their influence. I think it’s fine if anyone is born again- whatever. But- he loaned me some books from the Creationist Institute- somewhere in Texas. One of the books read like a geology textbook- loaded with real geology terminology- trying to show how the Earth is young, blah, blah, blah- no evolution, blah, blah, blah. I had never taken a geology course so to me- it read like science. But that whetted my appetite for geology so I went to a university text store and bought all of the geology textbooks and read them. Then I realize that whoever wrote the Creationist books must have studied some geology- enough to know how to sound like a geologist- but it was all wrong. One day I attended the friend’s church. They had a guest speaker on the subject of geology. The guy was handsome and had a great voice. He explained how all the strata in the Grand Canyon were deposited as The Great Flood settled- this was before I read the real geology texts. Everyone swooned with delight. I think of this whenever I see anything about how the end is near- the planet is going to roast- we’re all gonna die. Of course those with the faith will say “but climate science is a real science”. Sure, it’s a science but it’s NOT settled. If only they’d admit that I’d have more respect for them. My friend was convinced that the Bible is settled too- that it’s 100% absolute truth. Always something to be wary of.

H.R.
June 3, 2021 4:07 am

David Middleton wrote:

Two of the goofiest climate phrases:

1. Carbon-free future
  2. Fossil-free future

And they’re the smartest people in the room?

I don’t think so.

Clyde Spencer
Reply to  H.R.
June 3, 2021 3:32 pm

The suffer from the Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

Joseph Zorzin
June 3, 2021 4:39 am

“No source of energy or power generation is “carbon-free.””

Not to mention that destroying millions of acres of forests to install solar “farms” results in a great deal of carbon emissions from the destroyed trees- and from the soil. Here in Massachusetts at least a few hundred thousand acres of forests will be destroyed for solar to arrive at net free nirvana by 2050. I keep reminding state officials and enviro groups of this and ask them to count the “carbon pollution” from such forest destruction but of course they ignore me. Not only is there a loss of carbon from this destruction- but a healthy forest sequesters carbon- so that’s lost too- I suppose we could estimate a “net present value” of the future loss of that carbon. And, of course, a healthy forest produces oxygen and habitat- also ignored. So we’ll just go ahead and destroy the environment to save it- perfectly fine here in the Climate Caliphate of Massachusetts, the state that sued the EPA in the Supreme Court over “carbon pollution” triggering much of the hysteria.

Jim Gorman
June 3, 2021 4:48 am

We were the first major company to match our energy use with 100 percent renewable energy in 2017.

What a bunch of liars. Let everyone else actually suffer with unreliable power generation while we “match” with our fossil fuel backed up power. I can’t wait until they switch ALL their operations to non-fossil fuel backed up power and they lose tons of their operations. I’m sure they’ll justify their continued reliance by “purchasing” carbon offsets and to he?? with those stuck with no power.

Peter W
Reply to  Jim Gorman
June 3, 2021 6:02 am

Think of all the carbon their customers use while taking advantage of what they offer!

Dave Fair
Reply to  Peter W
June 3, 2021 9:56 am

The Dutch courts should go after them the same as they did Shell.

Dave Fair
Reply to  Jim Gorman
June 3, 2021 9:57 am

Yet they still do business in China.

Kevin kilty
June 3, 2021 6:15 am

A MESSAGE FROM OUR CEO

Our third decade of climate action: Realizing a carbon-free future

Giving them the benefit of doubt that they actually understand and mean that carbon means carbon dioxide, into their third decade of fighting carbon dioxide, and yet the trend in atmospheric concentration persists. You’d think some people would learn.

Shoki Kaneda
June 3, 2021 6:35 am

I believe a Google-free life would benefit mankind greatly.

Sara
June 3, 2021 7:29 am

Oh, I get it – FINALLY!!!! I kind of figured this out over the last cold spell we had, while I was shoveling squirrels out of my front yard.

What THEY want is the Carboniferous period, the 20% O2 levels that would poison us with all the CO2 locked up in plants. THEY want us to live in an atmosphere with O2 levels that will gives us all hyperoxia, and encourage the extended growth of dragonflies into meganeura, those giant dragonflies with 3-foot wingspans, and giant 6 foot long centipedes with poison fangs. You can find their descendants in the jungles of Vietnam and other places in Southeast Asia. I’ve seen photos of those giant icky bugs being held up by locals, about 3’6″ long.

Took me a while to figure it out, but yeah, that’s what these dingalings want: a planet so heavily oxygenated and so covered in combustible carbon-based plants (aren’t they all?) that we mere mortals would expire quickly.

And think of the raging wildfires fed by that hyper-oxygenated atmosphere! Spectacular!!

Sorry it took me so long to figure out all of this. I was watching a pair of common loons teach their little ones how to fish.

Andy Pattullo
June 3, 2021 7:33 am

When one is in the cult, one can’t see what is obvious to everyone outside the cult. And if the cult strokes you, feeds you and pays you, there is no reason to make the effort to get outside the cult. “Googled” should be a term for having been blinded by self interest and intellectual decay.

Michael in Dublin
June 3, 2021 8:12 am

Sundar Pichai believes in a carbon-free future. This is as likely as discovering unicorns in some distant and uninhabited part of our world.

June 3, 2021 8:25 am

Elon Musk and many others have observed that people all too frequently mistake education for intelligence. Blackswan author Nicholas Nassim Taleb gives them the moniker “IYI’s”, intellectual yet idiots and writes about this class of morons extensively in his book Anti-Fragile.

“I hate when people confuse education with intelligence, you can have a bachelor’s degree and still be an idiot“. -Elon Musk

You can put most of these Big tech CEO and executive hires,especially Ms Brandt, in the educated-intellectual, yet full-on idiot-moron class.

Dave Fair
Reply to  Joel O'Bryan
June 3, 2021 10:02 am

No, Joel. These are highly intelligent people that are making bundles of money for themselves and their crony capitalist brethren.

Reply to  Dave Fair
June 3, 2021 11:16 am

If you don’t believe she is an idiot, then you have to believe she is just incredibly greedy and evil. There is not much middle ground.

Dave Fair
Reply to  Joel O'Bryan
June 3, 2021 12:37 pm

TonyG
June 3, 2021 9:11 am

“24/7 carbon-free energy”

At least they’re not hedging with “NET-zero”

TonyG
June 3, 2021 9:14 am

As to the phrases: I think most of us understand what they think they mean, but this goes back to something I said on another post: The growing acceptance of imprecision in language is leading to a growing trend of sloppy thinking, and we’re seeing the results writ large in the world around us.

Dave Fair
Reply to  TonyG
June 3, 2021 10:04 am

True, Tony. But catchy slogans do help to convince the followers among us.

Bruce Cobb
June 3, 2021 10:49 am

I believe in carbon being free. They should stop trying to make us pay for it.

Last edited 4 months ago by Bruce Cobb
Clyde Spencer
June 3, 2021 3:26 pm

David
Perhaps Creationists would welcome a “fossil-free future.” They could avoid the embarrassment of explaining all those pesky fossils and their associated dates!

Alan the Brit
Reply to  Clyde Spencer
June 3, 2021 10:54 pm

I’d be interested to read their paper on “Carbon-Free Dating” of life on Earth, personally as a retired single engineer, I’d have no desire to date any Carbon-free female!!!!! ;-))

John
June 3, 2021 9:33 pm

the world has always needed something to protest over
unfortunately we have now achieved a lemming intelligence
Hopefully like good lemmings they will improve the planet through Darwin extinction
We can start with Google CEO
He is a large source of carbon
His food is made of Carbon and Hydrogen
His servers are a large source
His power cables are a large source

the sooner they bring about the end to this rebellion the better the planet will be for us left behind

W Browning
June 8, 2021 4:59 pm

I can see the half dozen or more large biz-jets taking off out of Moffett Field near their headquarters, everyday. Those freaking hypocrites make me sick. And then there’s one of the senior big wig’s little Soviet Bloc jet fighter trainer he plays in a couple times a month, must be nice.

Last edited 4 months ago by W Browning