Kimberlly Nicholas, Lund University.

Climate Grief: “Half the wildlife in Africa has died on my watch.”

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

Climate scientists want to be “stewards of grief, to hold the hand of society as we enter the unknown space of the climate crisis“.

Scientists need to face both facts and feelings when dealing with the climate crisis

Kimberly Nicholas

I was taught to use my head, not my heart. But acknowledging sadness at what is lost can help us safeguard the future

Bearing witness to the demise or death of what we love has started to look an awful lot like the job description for an environmental scientist these days. Over dinner, my colleague Ola Olsson matter‑of‑factly summed up his career: “Half the wildlife in Africa has died on my watch.” He studied biodiversity because he loved animals and wanted to understand and protect them. Instead his career has turned into a decades-long funeral.

My dispassionate training has not prepared me for the increasingly frequent emotional crises of climate change. What do I tell the student who chokes up in my office when she reads that 90% of the seagrasses she’s trying to design policies to protect are slated to be killed by warming before she retires? In such cases, facts are cold comfort. The skill I’ve had to cultivate on my own is to find the appropriate bedside manner as a doctor to a feverish planet; to try to go beyond probabilities and scenarios, to acknowledge what is important and grieve for what is being lost.

It has taken me a long time to come to terms with my climate and ecological grief, but swimming through it is the only way forward. One role environmental scientists can play is to be “stewards of grief, to hold the hand of society as we enter the unknown space of the climate crisis,” as my friend Leehi Yona so beautifully wrote when the IPCC’s 1.5C report launched. As scientists, we have had much more time observing the decline of what we love. We are further down the line of where we all must get to as a society, facing hard truths and still finding ways to be kind and resilient, to do better going forward, to get through this together. We still have so much we love at stake that is worth fighting for.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/24/scientists-facts-feelings-climate-crisis-sadness

Whenever I read something like this I get this kind of yech feeling, like I’ve just received an unexpected and unwanted random hug from a stranger. You know, the quick look to see if they have any obvious indications of mental or physical illness, the quick check to make sure your wallet is still in your pocket.

Let us just say I’m not in a hurry to hold your hand and let you lead me, Kimberley.

4.6 26 votes
John Garrett
March 26, 2021 10:06 am

It is my policy to get as far away from stupid as I possibly can. Stupid scares the bejesus out of me.

Joel O’Bryan
Reply to  John Garrett
March 26, 2021 12:13 pm

I can’t watch live TV anymore. The stupid is flowing like water.

Bryan A
Reply to  Joel O’Bryan
March 26, 2021 3:53 pm

W O W … O M G …
1/2 the animal life has died in Africa? Say it isn’t so Joe, say it isn’t so.

4 words only…

Where Are The Bodies??

With over 1,100 mammalian species and 2,600 bird species consisting of tens of millions of mammals and billions of birds, the carcasses MUST be stacking up and rotting away someplace

Now if he/she means that 1/2 of the animals born since he/she took their post … well that sounds about right given the average lifespan of most animals

Gunter
Reply to  Bryan A
March 26, 2021 9:02 pm

It does not mention species. On the WWF website it shows population size has gone down. Which is possible as the human population has increased and needs more land to feed.

David Blenkinsop
Reply to  Gunter
March 27, 2021 4:51 pm

The quotation from the ‘Kimberly’ opinion piece referenced,

“that 90% of the seagrasses .. are slated to be killed by warming”

suggests that it is the supposed, and/or projected, species loss that is generally being fretted about here.

Fretful, non-productive moaning either way, really. As to species loss, it’s clearly a lie, but if we were talking population reduction of some of the mammals, say, well yes, animals and likely trees in some areas have made way for humans. Is this new, or especially alarming? Greenery, trees, etc. have increased overall, partly due to more CO2, should we be sad about that as well?

Reply to  Joel O’Bryan
March 27, 2021 5:59 am

I have obtained a satellite dish and only watch the English versions of 24 hour international news from multiple countries other than America and Britain. Nothing is worse than a news idiot that has only enough intelligence to present stupidity as wise, proven, established facts. The person(s) that sign(s)s their checks has only more profits in mind. If you follow the media company’s owner’s money and motivation it will be discovered that they are doing worse damage than any climate change apocalypse. Some, such as Soros, just do it for political power entertainment and maybe some weird sexual gratification. Plenty of new ways for such personal sexual perversion chemistry appears to have emerged in the newest breed of liberal humans. I am starting to cringe when I hear people use the phrase “put lipstick on a pig”. Someone (avid golfer) showed me a gif of the ass of a pig walking along in a thong and my first thought was, “those dam liberals have no conscience moral bottom”.

patrick healy
Reply to  Chan Noneya
March 28, 2021 5:34 am

Chan,
having played a rotten round yesterday, could you link me to that pig walking down the fairway please? I could do with some swing coaching.
Thanks

markl
March 26, 2021 10:08 am

Yech is the correct feeling.

Curious George
Reply to  markl
March 26, 2021 10:50 am

I prefer Greta. The name is much shorter than Kimberley.

Notanacademic
Reply to  Curious George
March 26, 2021 12:23 pm

I prefer Greta too, she’s barely an adult and has been misled and used. Prof Kimberly Nicholas is a mature and supposedly clever women and has no excuse for talking such drivel.

PaulH
Reply to  Curious George
March 26, 2021 1:51 pm

What happened to Greta over the past several months? I hope she’s getting the help she needs.

ozspeaksup
Reply to  PaulH
March 27, 2021 4:15 am

no shes still sh*tstirring

Bubba Cow
March 26, 2021 10:16 am

show us the bodies …

Scissor
Reply to  Bubba Cow
March 26, 2021 11:55 am

Sounds like Ola Olsson should be tried and prosecuted if it happened on his watch.

jon2009
Reply to  Scissor
March 28, 2021 2:46 am

exactly! and WhoTF is HE?

Charles Higley
Reply to  Bubba Cow
March 26, 2021 2:10 pm

I used to teach Environmental Science and, as a scientist, I would research the material. First, leave out island ecosystems, as they are patently already endangered, being that there are limited populations and virtually no migration. That said, a survey of the literature showed that only 6 species had gone extinct in 100 years among the birds and mammals and none of them were from climate change or habitat loss. In fact, during the last 100 years, we discovered 15 species that we thought were extinct, so we are up 9 species.

The predictions and “firm” statements that 1000s or millions of species are going extinct every year is from horribly tortured and abused computer programs. My favorite is the program that predicts how many species will go extinct before we even detect them. Read that last sentence again. You can put in any numbers you want, as it is talking about species that simply do not exist in the real and adult world.

Bubba
Reply to  Bubba Cow
March 27, 2021 9:51 am

The other starving animals ate them. Wildlife buffet.

Editor
March 26, 2021 10:19 am

This should be a fun thread to come back and read later!!

See ya then,
Bob

Mr.
March 26, 2021 10:25 am

What is this obsession by “climate scientists” to seek publicity for themselves by putting out pap that would be hard-pressed to get published in Women’s Weekly?

(but I guess if The Weekly turns you down, The Guardian is your next stop)

Sara
Reply to  Mr.
March 26, 2021 11:36 am

If you don’t advertise your product, no one will buy it.

fred250
Reply to  Sara
March 26, 2021 1:03 pm

And only the most truly brain-washed and gullible will even bother looking at it even then..

ATheoK
Reply to  Mr.
March 26, 2021 2:22 pm

I think one can guess which alleged scientists read NYT or Washpoo while simultaneously watching recorded soppy soap operas.

commieBob
March 26, 2021 10:29 am

So, what’s the biggest problem for wildlife in Africa? Depending on the species, it’s poaching, hands down.

The problem with CAGW is that it blinds people to the real problems with the environment.

commieBob
Reply to  commieBob
March 26, 2021 10:50 am

There’s this other thing. Why aren’t polar bears extinct? Because they controlled hunting, that’s why.

Why doesn’t controlling poaching work in Africa? Because the people are poor and they have no other way to make money, that’s why.

It’s been said a zillion times already, so here’s a zillion and one. Prosperous people look after nature because they can afford to do so. What’s a necessary condition for prosperity? Cheap abundant energy is a necessary condition for prosperity.

Michael Shellenberger, Michael Moore, Patrick Moore, and even James Hansen have all commented on the negative environmental effects of renewable energy. Why is nobody listening?

Ron Long
Reply to  commieBob
March 26, 2021 11:27 am

CommieBob, you are right about controlled hunting, among other issues for wildlife sustainability. However, I’m guessing KImberly wants to re-introduce grizzly bears into the Sierra Nevada Mountains (between Kalifornia and Nevada), don’t allow hunting, and writing the hikers eaten off to population control.

Charles Higley
Reply to  Ron Long
March 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Indeed there is a goal to convert 75% of N America back to woodlands. That is why, over the protests of many states, Ted Turner was allowed to introduce wolves to the NW states. Not only wolves but the largest of the species and then had them protected from being hunted or killed for poaching livestock. The goal is simply to drive 30,000 ranchers off their lands.

Do not forget the teacher in Iceland who took a group of students out camping and one student was attacked and killed by a polar bear. All the teacher had was a rusty 22 rifle, which would really only tick off the bear. Can you say 44 magnum?

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Charles Higley
March 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Can you say 44 magnum?

Nuts to that. I don’t want the bear anywhere near close enough to use revolver. I’d say a 300 Weatherby magnum is more to the point.

Last edited 18 days ago by Rory Forbes
Roger Watson
Reply to  Rory Forbes
March 26, 2021 4:02 pm

A 44 magnum can also be a rifle. It is famous as a handgun because of Dirty Harry Callahan played by Clint Eastwood.

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Roger Watson
March 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Hmmm, yes there are a few carbines bored to take a .44 calibre pistol round … Like the now discontinued Ruger 44. However they’re not even close to a stopping power of a 300 magnum rifle round. The Weatherby rifle round packs 4,195 foot-pounds of energy @ 500 yards. The Ruger 44 packs only 1,015 foot-pounds of force at the muzzle.

Mostly sharing calibres between carbine and revolver made a lot of sense during the cowboy era, but not so much any more.

Brooks H Hurd
Reply to  Rory Forbes
March 26, 2021 7:47 pm

What about a Barrett 50 cal?

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Brooks H Hurd
March 26, 2021 8:52 pm

What about a Barrett 50 cal?

Now there’s a weapon. That thing is more like an artillery piece than a rifle. The shock wave alone can kill you, with a near miss. With a muzzle velocity exceeding 2800 f/ps using a 661 gr. bullet or over 4000 f/ps using a 360 gr. tungsten round + sabot, they develop something like 11,000 foot pounds. That brute can cut a man in half.

However at close to $10,000 and weighing in at +30# they’re not one’s 1st choice while strolling in the Arctic.

Last edited 18 days ago by Rory Forbes
Andrew Wilkins
Reply to  Rory Forbes
March 27, 2021 8:04 am

I’ve got to hand it to you Yanks – no one could say you don’t know your way around a gun. Us Brits have trouble telling the dangerous end from the safe end.

Rory Forbes
Reply to  Andrew Wilkins
March 27, 2021 10:04 am

Actually, I’m a Canuck and our government is gradually neutering our gun ownership. Besides some of the finest guns in the world are made in England … Purdey, E.J. Churchill, Holland and Holland to name only three.

Mariner
Reply to  Charles Higley
March 26, 2021 4:11 pm

“Indeed there is a goal to convert 75% of N America back to woodlands.”

with all these extra solar panels it is not going to leave much room for humans. Or is that the idea?

ozspeaksup
Reply to  Mariner
March 27, 2021 4:18 am

I think theyre planning we go camp out under the solar panels so they can say everyone has a roof/shelter overhead…/s

Reply to  ozspeaksup
March 27, 2021 2:04 pm

And a job – cleaning it!
Not /sarc, unhappily.

Auto

Wade
Reply to  commieBob
March 26, 2021 11:39 am

Because cheap, abundant energy leads to more liberty and booming middle class, and all that is anathema to their real goal.

Chris*
Reply to  commieBob
March 26, 2021 10:34 pm

You are so right there, humans will do anything to survive. History has shown us that people ate their own children whilst desperate and starving under Mao’s regime . Indians mutilated their own children and sent them begging when the country was under socialist rule and famine reined. Cheap reliable power is the keystone to building a prosperous, healthy society which ironically produces less offspring.When humans are secure they have the mental and physical space to appreciate our beautiful complex planet and the sentient beings we share it with.

John Dilks
March 26, 2021 10:29 am

What an idiot, she is.

philincalifornia
Reply to  John Dilks
March 26, 2021 11:10 am

Yeah, you would think she could’ve faked a sad face for the photo.

Scissor
Reply to  philincalifornia
March 26, 2021 11:59 am

You mean that’s her real teeth?

I guess they should have allowed her to look into a mirror before snapping the shot.

Last edited 18 days ago by Scissor
Geoff Sherrington
Reply to  Scissor
March 26, 2021 3:36 pm

Scissor,
Over three years ago I postulated that the mean weight of human teeth of those born after 1980 was growing larger each year. There is abundant photographic evidence. Even our own family offspring display the effect.
Sherrington’s Postulate is that this growth is caused by higher levels of atmospheric CO2. Just like the greening of plant life.
Geoff S

Richard Page
Reply to  Geoff Sherrington
March 27, 2021 10:56 am

I believe your conclusion may be incorrect – it’s all down to the fork; since the fork was invented, teeth no longer needed to meet at the front to tear the food and we developed an overbite (actually quite true if you check historic paintings). With nothing to grind against, front teeth are getting larger over time. All I need is $50,000 grant money to research this hypothesis. sarc

Graemethecat
Reply to  Geoff Sherrington
March 27, 2021 11:17 am

See the current Prime Minister of New Zealand for the results of this trend. Quite horrifying.

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Scissor
March 26, 2021 11:14 pm

You always go right to denigrating someone based on their looks. Low class.

Reply to  John Dilks
March 26, 2021 11:31 am

At least time to buy a new watch.

Alan Robertson
March 26, 2021 10:33 am

She sounds fun.

Bruce Cobb
March 26, 2021 10:37 am

“Read more…”. No thanks. I’ve already puked enough.

Notanacademic
Reply to  Bruce Cobb
March 26, 2021 12:27 pm

She’s written a book if you change your mind! Sarc

Gerry, England
Reply to  Notanacademic
March 27, 2021 5:45 am

I wonder if it burns well so when it is reduced to pennies to clear it could actually be of use.

Ack
March 26, 2021 10:38 am

How many elephants did Allen Savory slaughter in the name of global warming?

Nelson
Reply to  Ack
March 26, 2021 12:12 pm

It was 40k, but it wasn’t because of global warming. He believed elephants were causing desertification. He was wrong.

philincalifornia
Reply to  Nelson
March 26, 2021 2:07 pm

I don’t know this story. Did he have a finder’s fee deal on the ivory?

julian braggins
Reply to  philincalifornia
March 27, 2021 2:25 am

At least he learned from the mistake, he wasn’t alone in blaming elephants for desertification. He found a method to restore desert to bush-land in his native Zimbabwe and now lectures around the world promoting the method in applicable areas.
His before and after photos are very impressive, his story is worth looking up.

philincalifornia
Reply to  julian braggins
March 27, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks for the response. I’ll try to find the time.

Edit: already started

Last edited 17 days ago by philincalifornia
AleaJactaEst
March 26, 2021 10:39 am

So why quite the notoriously left and obviously unhinged Grauniad then.

Gawd, don’t give it oxygen.

March 26, 2021 10:44 am

I can’t watch nature documentaries anymore. They all devolve into vehicles to shame me for living.

Hivemind
Reply to  D. Anderson
March 26, 2021 3:11 pm

They’ve been doing that since I was a child. I was taken to the Chicago Zoo, and in there there was a set of bars with the label, “the most dangerous animal of all”. Yes, it had a mirror behind it, reflecting all the people looking through. This sort of propaganda has been going on since at least the first world war.

Roger
March 26, 2021 10:50 am

This is typical leftist self loathing, emotions are more important than facts.

Independent
Reply to  Roger
March 26, 2021 4:38 pm

Remember, they vote that way too.

Smart Rock
March 26, 2021 10:51 am

If in fact “Half the wildlife in Africa has died” (which I tend to doubt) it’s because of human encroachment into their habitat. Plus hunting for “bush meat”, poaching for ivory, cutting firewood etc. etc. Climate change has nothing to do with it. At all.

The grief-burdened Ms Nicholas is “associate professor of sustainability science” at Lund University. A meaning-free job description if there ever was one, well suited to one who apparently practices post-science science, where emotions and abstract intellectual constructs take the place of observable facts and logical conclusions.

Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  Smart Rock
March 26, 2021 11:19 am

To stay on that academic gravy train she’ll need to keep preaching the faith.

Andrew Dickens
Reply to  Smart Rock
March 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Human encroachment is right. Many African countries’ populations are doubling every 20 years. A few months ago, all the lions were moved from a section of the Serengeti game reserve to make room for crops and houses. As I recall it was 3000 sq miles. There were protests, but they were ineffective. How long before the Serengeti becomes an urban slum?

Paul Penrose
Reply to  Andrew Dickens
March 26, 2021 2:12 pm

Never. Population growth is not a simple exponential function – Malthus was wrong.

Richard Page
Reply to  Paul Penrose
March 27, 2021 8:19 pm

Malthus just wrote what he saw out of his window; he lived in a busy city so mistakenly believed there were lots of people everywhere. Junk science yet again.

Bill Rocks
March 26, 2021 10:55 am

Scientist? The ever evolving propaganda machine.

Who said “useful idiot”?

John F Hultquist
March 26, 2021 10:57 am

Powered by Carbon based fuels, nuclear, and hydro – – rich nations with rich people can protect environments and wildlife, and even bring near extinct animals back.
Does she not know this?

If she pays the bills, I’ll lead her around and show her the truth.

Retired_Engineer_Jim
Reply to  John F Hultquist
March 26, 2021 10:59 pm

There was an encouraging story on the radio yesterday (local MSM affiliate, so it must be true). Some years ago, the condor was almost extinct in the US – maybe 20 breeding pairs left in the wild. Through the efforts of captive breeding programs here in California, they have been releasing condors into the wild. After 100 years, California condor could return to northwest – ABC News (go.com)
Maybe humans aren’t bad for nature – maybe we don’t always cause extinction (just a little sarc there).

Chris Bock
March 26, 2021 11:00 am

Nature will come up with replacements. Not to worry.

Carlo, Monte
March 26, 2021 11:09 am

Carbon dioxide causes absolutely everything in the entire universe.

Joseph Zorzin
Reply to  Carlo, Monte
March 26, 2021 11:19 am

the new Satan

Tom in Toronto
Reply to  Carlo, Monte
March 26, 2021 6:55 pm

*everything bad.
Electric cars, solar panels and windmills are the cause of all righteousness.

Moderately Cross of East Anglia
March 26, 2021 11:11 am

If all this really happened on her watch she must be crap at the job and should join the BBC eco-drivel team.

DHR
March 26, 2021 11:11 am

If she is not living in the US, she should move here. Moving will assuage her grief since the Climate Reference System has clearly established that the Lower 48 are not warming, at least not since 2005

Retired_Engineer_Jim
Reply to  DHR
March 26, 2021 11:02 pm

Lund University is in Lund, Sweden, near Malmo.

rah
March 26, 2021 11:16 am

Just call it what it is! Neurotic drivel! We get bombarded with this kind of crap day in and day out on wide ranges of subjects. Half of what they call “news” today is neurotic drivel spewed by the neurotics.

Kevin R.
Reply to  rah
March 28, 2021 12:37 pm

The Left creates a very neurotic society.

dk_
March 26, 2021 11:21 am

Antidepressants are sometimes prescribed for the psychological sort of nihilism. The political sort is to be despised.

H.R.
March 26, 2021 11:22 am

We’re watching a daytime non-stop soap opera; As The World Turns Climate Changes or maybe it’s Days of Our (Remaining) Lives.

Just like the old soap operas, you get drawn into the good characters and hate on the baddies. (“Oh no! That miserable rat bastard! Dump him, dump him!”)

And a major part of the story line was to, at a few points in the show, get the viewer to reach for the box of Kleenex tissues.
Kimberly Nicholas has presented the tear-jerker segment of the never-ending Climate Change soap opera.
Tune in tomorrow for the next installment where the Virtuous Renewable Energy people will confront the No-Good E-v-i-i-i-i-l Caaaahbon Cabal, lead by a handsome, intelligent Climate Scientist (an actor, not a real one, but he plays one on TV) in the Fight to Save The Planet.

Oh, and instead of running out and buying laundry soap, you’re supposed to run out and buy Carbon Credits.

Sara
March 26, 2021 11:36 am

Hmmmmm…… how many extinction events were there before Hoomans came into the picture? Let me consult my iron concretion fossils, the shrimp and the alethoptera leaf, and get some feedback from them….

Well, out of all the species that had died off by the end of the Carboniferous period, we still have dragonflies, horsetail reeds, centipedes, shrimp, sharks, spiders, protozoa of all sorts, and these are only a few that go back those several hundreds of millions of years.

I’m not running out of “victims” here just yet. And this was all before mammals ever arrived, too. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I am more and more convinced that the people who present themselves as some kind of expert about climate-something (or other), but who indicate clearly that they have no sense of reality of what has actually happened on this planet, are either doing/saying what they do/say to get attention, or so mentally constricted that they actually believe their own nonsense. It is difficult for little old me to imagine being so narrow-minded and unobservant of reality that someone like her believes the nonsense she’s spilling out.

She needs help, all right. But wrenching someone from this kind of pseudo-religious conversion that disconnects her from reality is nearly impossible.

Note, I said “nearly”, not “completely”.

BruceC
March 26, 2021 11:43 am

Cry me a river.

Mike Lowe
March 26, 2021 11:50 am

What “climate crisis”?

fred250
Reply to  Mike Lowe
March 26, 2021 10:13 pm

The one inside their heads. !

Not much else in there !!

Retired_Engineer_Jim
Reply to  Mike Lowe
March 26, 2021 11:04 pm

It’s not a crisis, it’s a management challenge.

Graemethecat
Reply to  Mike Lowe
March 27, 2021 11:20 am

Strange how these people never tell us what a climate crisis is.

Derek Wood
March 26, 2021 11:54 am

“I was taught to use my head…” Really? Someone has let you down very badly, Kimberly!

Harry Passfield
Reply to  Derek Wood
March 26, 2021 2:04 pm

‘I was taught to use my head’ – as in a nutter (UK slang).

YallaYPoora Kid
Reply to  Derek Wood
March 26, 2021 3:07 pm

She is using the capacity she has, cannot blame her for that.

fred250
Reply to  Derek Wood
March 27, 2021 2:52 am

““I was taught to use my head…””

Does that count as child brutality ?

A hammer or mallet is much more effective.

lackawaxen123
March 26, 2021 11:58 am

she’s trying to design policies to protect are slated to be killed ” slated to be killed which is code for “someone made a WAG that they could die based on a model”

Kevin kilty
March 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Warning: An exaggerated sense of importance on display.

Chris Nisbet
March 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Wouldn’t it be better if climate scientists stuck to doing science and held back on telling us how worried they all are?
The never ending media articles would be a whole lot shorter too.

Trying to Play Nice
Reply to  Chris Nisbet
March 27, 2021 5:50 am

Why do scientists think they have to write policy for every problem they can program into a simulation?

March 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Griff time to come with polar bears, not Africa, but why care about ? 😀

Kevin McNeill
March 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Foff, nincompoop!!

Joel O’Bryan
March 26, 2021 12:12 pm

Feelings have been overriding climate facts for at least back to IPCC second AR.

John Robertson
March 26, 2021 12:17 pm

Meh,what a bone head.
She reminds me of that other poser,who proclaimed from the stage”Every time I clap my hands,a child dies in Africa”.
To which an audience member yelled “Then stop clapping you Wa##er”.
Also what an idiotic comment from her “dear colleague” of course over half the wildlife are going to die over a 10 year?period…Nature is not cute nor cuddly..
Gee most everyone alive today will be dead by 2100..Oh the horror.
Can we set aside a “nature reserve” for the Cult of Calamitous Climate?.

We must free them to live the lifestyles they demand..for us.
Not evil carbon,no evil fossil fuels,no evil byproducts..like those lovely synthetic fabrics these righteous twits all seem to wear..
I wonder what they imagine their “Magic Wonder Battery” will be made of?

Funny thing here,our progressive comrades insisted lunatic asylums were demeaning and too expensive,perhaps we just replaced them?
With cities?

Alan
March 26, 2021 12:22 pm

OMG! I just realized, 99% of all wild life has died since I was born.

OweninGA
Reply to  Alan
March 26, 2021 1:20 pm

I hadn’t gotten to your post when I wrote mine. A little longevity leads to outliving most other animals.

George Ellis
Reply to  OweninGA
March 27, 2021 9:56 am

Ditto. Had not scrolled enough and posted the same.

Derg
Reply to  Alan
March 26, 2021 1:33 pm

Well you only have 9 years left According to occasional cortex

philincalifornia
Reply to  Alan
March 26, 2021 2:15 pm

… and it’s your fault too.

Independent
Reply to  Alan
March 26, 2021 4:40 pm

And it was on “your watch” Alan! Feel very bad and ashamed, or something, that you didn’t use your omnipotence to stop the slaughter!

Tom in Toronto
Reply to  Alan
March 26, 2021 6:58 pm

At least you didn’t say it coldly and matter-of-factly to send chills down the spine of poor Ms Nicholas.

On the outer Barcoo
March 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Any chance of sharing with us the list of all animals in continental Africa and highlighting those that are no longer with us? With a statement like that, this list should be ready to hand.

Jon
Reply to  On the outer Barcoo
March 26, 2021 1:15 pm

We lost the northern white Rhino. That’s one.

Derg
Reply to  Jon
March 26, 2021 1:34 pm

One is on the board….we need a 2 here…anyone?

LdB
Reply to  Derg
March 27, 2021 12:02 am

Truth that died by climate change.

Mr.
Reply to  Jon
March 26, 2021 1:58 pm

Whatta ya mean “we“, white man?

leitmotif
March 26, 2021 12:27 pm

“stewards of grief, to hold the hand of society as we enter the unknown space of the climate crisis”

It would bring a tear to a glass eye.

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  leitmotif
March 26, 2021 9:04 pm

Queue up the Beatles: “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  noaaprogrammer
March 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Sorry. Cue up the Beatles.

Andre Lauzon
March 26, 2021 12:39 pm

FINALLY a scientist who knows exactly how many species there are in Africa and how many are left. Would she please share the numbers with us!

Retired_Engineer_Jim
Reply to  Andre Lauzon
March 26, 2021 11:07 pm

But first, provide the “only” definition of specie.

leitmotif
March 26, 2021 12:46 pm

IPCC

Thousands of people from all over the world contribute to the work of the IPCC. For the assessment reports, IPCC scientists volunteer their time to assess the thousands of scientific papers published each year to provide a comprehensive summary of what is known about the drivers of climate change, its impacts and future risks, and how adaptation and mitigation can reduce those risks.”

Is the highlighted bit true? Does the IPCC include such papers as those frequently referred to by Pierre Gosselin over at NoTricksZone? Or just the papers that reinforce the IPCC’s message?

OweninGA
Reply to  leitmotif
March 26, 2021 1:22 pm

The actual science sections tend to be ok if sometimes a bit miss-focused, it’s the summary for policy makers that goes off the rails scientifically.

leitmotif
Reply to  OweninGA
March 26, 2021 4:12 pm

So any paper that “denies” anthropogenic cause is pushed aside at some point?

Ted
Reply to  leitmotif
March 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Not completely. The IPCC will use individual sentences from ‘skeptical’ papers if those few words don’t counter the narrative. The original writer will then be listed as a ‘contributing author’ to beef up the number of scientists involved.

OweninGA
Reply to  leitmotif
March 28, 2021 7:39 am

OK is not perfect. The science sections usually include enough information to make someone who is casually aware of statistics know exactly how much doubt there is. True believers read them differently however.

DMacKenzie
March 26, 2021 12:52 pm

…click on the “Donate” button…

Laws of Nature
March 26, 2021 1:00 pm

It actually sounds to me like she is calling for environmental protection, a field with plenty of evidence based facts how measures can help, very unlike climate protection measures.

fred250
March 26, 2021 1:04 pm

I’d like some of the AGW trollettes to comment..

…. so we can LAUGH even harder. 🙂

leitmotif
Reply to  fred250
March 26, 2021 4:24 pm

There is only griff from the Guardian, known as Egriff there. The Guardian climate change blog “expert” is a retired geography teacher called rockyrex who will not comment on here because he considers WUWT to be part of the crankosphere! He’s one smug b@stard. Ask HotScot about him.

Another is Erik Frederiksen, a Californian who quotes his heroes Michael Mann, James Hansen, Eric Rignot and Richard Alley.

rockyrex and Erik Frederiksen won’t appear on WUWT because they would be destroyed. griff is griff. Don’t you just love him? 🙂

Jon
March 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Losing half the wildlife in Africa? The locusts are doing very well there. Thank you very much.

John Bell
March 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Leftists, they are all on anti depressants. Glad I do not have such a view of the world, they only see the bad.

TonyG
Reply to  John Bell
March 28, 2021 10:14 am

There was a recent study that correlated political beliefs with treatment for anxiety and depression. The results were about what you would expect.

OweninGA
March 26, 2021 1:14 pm

You know, in my lifetime, probably 3/4 of the animals alive at the time of my birth are now dead. 99% if you count the insects.

Certain fish, whales, tortoises and other long-lived animals are all that is left from my childhood. All these others were born since (and I am not yet 60).

Oh, was she implying species extinction? I believe she is full of something awful if she thinks we have lost half of the specie in her lifetime. Where are the bodies?

Stephen Skinner
March 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Who asked Kimberley woman to have any kind of authority? But then again, this is what delusion looks like.

Jean Parisot
March 26, 2021 1:27 pm

I’m sure 95% of Class Animalia dies in Africa every years, irrespective of how hard she tries, the raw disapointment must wrack her soul.

leowaj
March 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Activist-scientists. All activism but no real science.

David Dibbell
March 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Charlie Brown gets it right on this one: “Good grief!”

Last edited 18 days ago by David Dibbell
john
March 26, 2021 1:57 pm

I remember not that long ago when environmental scientists decided that the only way to protect the African Savanna was to cull Elephants in the 10’s of thousands.

Harry Passfield
March 26, 2021 1:59 pm

The head quote about ‘stewards of grief’ was from a person who, IMHO, needs, seriously, to seek psychiatric counselling – at the very least for Munchausen’s Syndrome by Proxy.

Charles Higley
March 26, 2021 2:01 pm

Tell her to, “Buck up Little Buckeroo. The planet is cooling and the grasses are fine.”

Even if the planet did warm, seagrasses will simply move to higher latitudes. Duh.

The border between Homarus vulgaris (the common lobster) and the spiney or rock lobster (Panuluris) habitats is roughly at about Cape Hatteras on the US East Coast. However, this boundary moves north and south as the ocean goes through its 60-year cycle of warming and cooling. For the same reason, many other species move as the oceans cycle.

Maine lobstermen have know for 100s of years that lobstering goes in 60-year cycles, with lobsters most scarce at the peaks and valleys of the ocean cycle and most abundant during the times in between. Lobsters have evolved to enjoy the most common temperature which is the time between the peaks and valleys.

garboard
Reply to  Charles Higley
March 26, 2021 3:05 pm

I believe 2012 was quite a warm year and a record year for lobsters . they wait for warming in the spring to move back inshore when the water warms , which they did early and in large numbers . but they are soft shells and a little less valuable that early . also numbers were so large prices were low . a few years later waters were abnormally cool and the catch was way down .

Ed Zuiderwijk
March 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Our meditation task for tonight is: my climate and ecological grief, how to come to terms with it.

Doonman
March 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Remember Kimberly, Billy Crystal said “looking good is better than feeling good”. So get busy.

PS: I hope Billy didn’t hurt your feelings.

n.n
March 26, 2021 3:45 pm

Diversity or diversity dogma (e.g. color)?

ResourceGuy
March 26, 2021 4:10 pm

The other half is at risk with all the attention focused on that little invisible molecule that comprises 0.04% of the atmosphere. The large animals have no chance against that campaign focus.

Andy Pattullo
March 26, 2021 4:20 pm

Statistically nearly all species that have ever lived are extinct. What’s left is a rounding error, but still wonderful, diverse and amazing. Trying so hard to be depressed about this incredible biosphere is clearly a psychiatric disorder.

Pflashgordon
March 26, 2021 4:22 pm

First off, Ola Olsson is a professor of economics, so what does he know about species diversity and loss in Africa? Second, Kimberly Nicholas is a professor of “sustainability science” (what sort of goofball title is that?). If you ever see job with the word sustainable or sustainability in it, you can be sure the person is a SJW, probably a liberal arts major, and definitely NOT a scientist. Eric mischaracterized these two as “climate scientists “, which they clearly are not.

Pflashgordon
March 26, 2021 4:24 pm

If any of you out there reading WUWT have a job with the word “sustainability” in it, resign immediately and escape while you still can.

Shoki Kaneda
March 26, 2021 4:30 pm

Most of the humans and almost all of the animals alive at my birth are dead. This is not a tragedy, it is life.

Mike
March 26, 2021 6:00 pm

That she’s insane?

Gordon A. Dressler
March 26, 2021 6:23 pm

From the above article: “Ola Olsson matter‑of‑factly summed up his career: ‘Half the wildlife in Africa has died on my watch.’ “

Hey, Ola, do you have any facts to go with that claim . . . as a matter of fact?

Komeradecube
March 26, 2021 6:33 pm

All the wildlife in Afrika is going to die. All of us are going to die. Everyone who has read one of Griff’s stupid comments is going to die. No one gets out alive.

Trying to Play Nice
Reply to  Komeradecube
March 27, 2021 6:09 am

And anyone who dies after reading one of Griff’s comments will die with a little lower IQ.

Tom in Toronto
March 26, 2021 7:03 pm

According to Wikipedia, amongst Amphibians, Birds, Reptiles, and Mammals in Africa, only the following have been confirmed to have gone extinct in the last 60 years.

1. Northern White Rhino
  2. Western Black Rhino
  3. Round Island Burrowing Boa
  4. Osgood’s Ethiopian Toad

I’m not a scientist, but I would wager that there were more than 8 species of Amphibians, Birds, Reptiles, and Mammals in Africa 60 years ago.

Last edited 18 days ago by Tom in Toronto
Editor
March 26, 2021 7:40 pm

“90% of the seagrasses [..] are slated to be killed by warming “.

Seagrasses reportedly evolved in the Late Cretaceous. They will just love any warming they can get.

William Haas
March 26, 2021 10:52 pm

The problems that the natural world has had have not been caused by climate that has changed very little but rather loss of habitat. For example there is the county where I live. 200 hundred years ago it was mostly ranch land or wilderness. Now at least half of it is either urban or suburban. Mankind is gradually trying to pave over most of the county.

Jeff Alberts
March 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Not that any of them have actually died due to warming, but they’re “slated” to, just you wait!

The planet certainly doesn’t need emotional morons like these protecting it.

sky king
March 27, 2021 12:10 am

That woman needs a strong dose of lithium.

Charles Fairbairn
March 27, 2021 1:18 am

Beware when purported scientists start getting emotional.

ThinkingScientist
March 27, 2021 1:40 am

To understand a bit better about African wildlife, poaching, humans etc I would highly recommend the documentary “Trophy”. Not for children or for the hand wringing environmentalists. Excellent nonetheless.

To take the quote from Blood Diamond “TIA” (this is Africa). Anyone who has lived there will understand what that means.

Michael in Dublin
Reply to  ThinkingScientist
March 27, 2021 8:16 am

For anyone interested in a great conservation story it is worth looking for a second hand copy of “The White Rhino Saga” (1973) by Ian Player – the late brother of the golfer Gary Player. It is saddening to see the good work of conservationists being undone by poachers and incompetent and corrupt governments and useless local authorities.

ThinkingScientist
March 27, 2021 1:43 am

Another stupid quote from a wildlife programme. “Cheetahs are now extinct in 27 African countries”. They clearly don’t understand what extinct means, or that there is no significance to counting cheetahs in human polygons called countries.

In how many UK gardens are hedgehogs now extinct?

ThinkingScientist
March 27, 2021 1:49 am

I am nearly 60 years old. Roughly 50 million people die on Planet Earth every year.

That means approximately 3 billion people have “died on my watch”, or nearly half of the average global population over that time.

ozspeaksup
March 27, 2021 4:14 am

90% of seagrass might die off?
and theyre already moaning?
lord or whatever spare us
lock em up

Michael in Dublin
March 27, 2021 5:23 am

Anyone who has lived in different African countries and been observant would have noticed that it is not drought and floods or any sort of climate change that has been the biggest threat to wildlife. It has been a selfish, greedy and incredibly short-sighted two legged animal that does not give a damn.

George Ellis
March 27, 2021 9:54 am

More like 99% of the wildlife has died in Africa under her watch. The offspring died too. Generations happen. But no one gets out alive.

Peter W
March 27, 2021 10:21 am

Yes, of course. The windmills are killing all the birds, and the solar panels are taking up so much of the landscape that there is no more room for the 4 footed beasts.

Tom Abbott
March 27, 2021 10:48 am

From the article: “What do I tell the student who chokes up in my office when she reads that 90% of the seagrasses she’s trying to design policies to protect are slated to be killed by warming before she retires?”

You should tell her not to believe everything she reads. Sometimes falsehoods are presented as facts.

The truth is: All those scary stories about Human-caused Climate Change are science fiction. You and your students are being spooked by lies. Too bad you don’t have enough sense to figure this out for yourself. As a consequence, you suffer, and your students suffer.

You have been manipulated into believing something that isn’t true, or at least, there is no evidence for the claims, yet you drive yourself insane over it. Not healthy behavior.

TallDave
March 27, 2021 2:48 pm

and then later the other half died of irony

JCalvertN(UK)
March 27, 2021 5:58 pm

“Half the wildlife in Africa has died on my watch”

Thanks to hunting, poaching, civil wars, and most of all due to conflict with an expanding human population with its ever-expanding need to land to live on and grow food. And nothing to do with global warming.

But who is going to tell African people that they have less right to life, health, the pursuit of happiness etc. etc. than animals? The problem is discussed in some depth by Schellenberg in “Apocalypse Never” and also the even more hard-hitting “The Big Conservation Lie” by Mbaria and Ogada. To ‘have our cake and eat it too’ in respect of land-use, conservation, and human rights is going to be a very very challenging juggling act.

So much simpler to blame westerners and their SUVs.

Streetcred
March 27, 2021 7:45 pm

What an idiot … land use changes created by subsistence farmers, the animals have been killed for food and ‘voodoo’ medicines … it is a poverty problem, nothing to do with climate.

Stephen Mueller
March 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Here’s a thought why don’t they get off their fat over paid ###### and do something about it,
https://www.fishsticks.co/ Standing there and doing nothing or writing e-mails hand wringing do squat for the problem, If they see a problem work out how to fix it.

Patrick MJD
March 27, 2021 8:48 pm

My guess is she’s never been to Africa, anywhere in Africa.

Mickey Reno
March 29, 2021 12:43 pm

How sad is Kimberly going to be if the misanthropes at Extinction Rebellion and the likes of Ted Turner and Jane Fonda have their way, and the planet is reduced to half a billion human beings? That’s about 14 out of every 15 people. To get a sense of the scale, look around at a group of fourteen of your closest friends. Now realize for you to remain, all of them have to die. Or we can just let loose a lethal virus, which will kill indiscriminately, as the XR people seem to want. That sounds like it’s going to be pretty sad to me. Or we could keep on living, driving to the beach (in Florida, of course), and eating tasty shrimp cocktails and oysters at a sunny bistro, and enjoying our Corn Pops cereal, because the extra CO2 we’re putting into the atmosphere is going to help our food crops grow. Choose your poison carefully, Kimberly.

Mickey Reno
March 29, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi moderators (and Anthony). I have a comment in moderation limbo in this thread. The text of my comment is displayed with a message in the upper right corner in orange text that advises: “Awaiting for approval.” First, but less importantly, the grammar of that message is atrocious. “Awaiting approval” would be much better. Secondly, and more importantly, if some word or phrase triggered the routing into moderation, could you possibly make that message into a hot link that highlights offending word or phase in the submitted message, or better yet, if that message is displayed, then highlight all text in the body of the message with a text block in orange quoting the rule(s) being tested. In such cases, one could simply hit the edit comment button, rewrite as necessary, and resubmit, or simply ignore the warning, and wait for approval if the violating words or phrase are critical to the point being made. That would be an amazingly awesome improvement to the WUWT commenting experience, and it doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to code in a Java subroutine..

Ray Boorman
March 30, 2021 2:51 am

I really feel for Ola Ollsen losing half of Africa’s wildlife on his watch, but what about me? Half of the world’s people have disappeared on mine – based on 66 years alive & an average of 55,000,000 deaths a year.