New Year, New WUWT, New Initiative

After a year of mostly being on hiatus, I’m coming back to regular daily operations. As previously mentioned, there will be an announcement forthcoming related to that and to the larger news that enables me to spend much more time at WUWT than ever before. This will include some plans for expansion, as well as some significant changes about how we operate.

The biggest change is a new initiative with new partners, which I hope to be able to announce any day now. Just waiting on paperwork.

One change will affect our readers, and make for a better reading and commenting experience overall, and it will be starting this coming week.

One of the biggest problems we’ve had is with trolls that use fake names, fake emails, and fake connections (proxys) to threadbomb. One in particular in Oregon has bragged about it, one in Canada made threats, and I called the police on him.

And, it keeps happening; some people who are narcissistic mann-equins think they are entitled to do it, because they are holier-than-thou defenders of the planet or something. Some of these same people also impersonate other commenters here. We’ve stopped them all (at least we think we have). But, we need better tools to detect and stop this.

This coming week, WUWT will no longer be an open commenting system, it will require registration to comment. I’ll give 24 hours notice, and it will likely be next Monday. Many, many, websites that allow comments require this, and it has become clear to me, that we need to go that direction too. Doing so will help keep the quality of conversation elevated, and will only require a one-time registration that will take about two minutes to complete. It will stop the trolls, the impersonators, and the drive-bys and give us a tool for enforcing our commenting policy. It will also ease moderation duties.

Reading content will still be publicly available as I abhor paywalls, and I know you do too.

And there will be other changes, including better search, better commenting tools, and an expanded reference section drawing from the WUWT archives setup as a separate but complimentary website.

The new initiative with new partners will give us a big boost, plus help other climate skeptic websites too. The separate climate reference website in the works, so you don’t have to wade through the over 20,000 articles here.

The plan is simple: A rising tide lifts all boats, where the “boats” is climate skepticism worldwide. To that end, invite a friend to visit WUWT, and learn.

Now, a request.

During the last year, Charles Rotter aka Charles the Moderator, has been mostly keeping WUWT running with the help of guest authors, such as Eric Worrall, David Archibald, Bob Tisdale, Willis Eschenbach, David Middleton, Kip Hansen, and others. Charles did this so that I could get my own life and business back together, after several years of loss followed by the CampFire and all the mess that entailed.

I’d like to reward him, since he’s done this without any remuneration at all (despite persistent false claims we have “big oil” backing) and so I’d like to ask our readers to consider making a donation to WUWT, on his behalf for his year of solid work.

Thank you for your consideration.

If the button above does not work for you, try the one at the upper right on the sidebar.

Thank you, all of you. My sincerest best wishes for a happy and prosperous new year!

-Anthony

0 0 vote
January 1, 2020 12:33 pm

Yes, I noticed the thread on which someone had impersonated Geoff Sherrington, and the real Geoff then had to come in and disclaim those comments. And he isn’t the only one.

But this missive lacks a key piece of information: how do we register?

AlexW
Reply to  Anthony Watts
January 1, 2020 1:30 pm

Some single sign on providers like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. would be great

Zig Zag Wanderer
Reply to  AlexW
January 1, 2020 2:36 pm

But email verification for those of us who have as little as possible (or nothing) to do with those companies is also wanted.

Reply to  Zig Zag Wanderer
January 1, 2020 9:06 pm

Exactly.

ozspeaksup
Reply to  Zig Zag Wanderer
January 2, 2020 5:03 am

agreed a wordpress sign in is required for “likes” already so it could be dual purposed,please.
I wont use fbk gaggle or gates muck either

Alexander Carpenter
Reply to  AlexW
January 1, 2020 2:46 pm

Not really. It’s best to have as little as possible to do with Big Data, for reasons ranging from blatant abuse to absurd tribal dissonances.

old white guy
Reply to  AlexW
January 2, 2020 6:37 am

Yes, I try not o post anywhere it has to be through facebook etc.

Reply to  Anthony Watts
January 1, 2020 9:05 pm

PLEASE make sure it is WORKING before switching over. I have no problem at all with having to register – but it took two weeks for another site that recently locked down to get things to the point where I could get past WordFence.

Sara
Reply to  Neil Lock
January 1, 2020 1:24 pm

Do we have to use our entire name, or is the screen name acceptable? I’ve already had trolls trying to track me down (not connected to WUWT) and have no wish to repeat that.

Thanks!

M Courtney
Reply to  Sara
January 1, 2020 1:36 pm

Likewise.
My screen name will be “M Courtney” or it will not be here at all.
Can’t have my potential contract partners finding my climate scepticism rather than my work record when googling me.
No-one pays us to be sceptical of AGW. But the bills are real.

Greg
Reply to  M Courtney
January 1, 2020 2:35 pm

Likewise, I have professional reasons not to use a real ID when commenting here. If you’re retired or financially independent, you not consider it matters. For me it does.

I don’t have FarceBook or Twatter accounts for the same reason.

Anyway , the delay in posts getting published here has long since killed any possibility to have any kind of discussion or exchange with others. Sadly, that went a a year or two ago.

Looking forward to seeing what the new improved WUWT will have to offer.

Another Paul
Reply to  Greg
January 2, 2020 4:40 am

“I don’t have FarceBook…” Facistbook is fitting as well.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Greg
January 2, 2020 4:50 am

I don’t know what the exact rules will be but it seems it would be possible for people to continue to use the name they currently use. Anthony is the only one who really needs to know our real names and he will have that with the registration process.

Geoff Sherrington
Reply to  Neil Lock
January 1, 2020 2:26 pm

TKS Neil,
Your thankful comment narrows the guilty numbers by one. It was annoying, but soon passed, no damage done.
Charles The Moderator was superb and most deserving of what readers here shall hit the tin with.
Geoff S

Nashville
January 1, 2020 12:39 pm

$100 sent. Keep up the great work!

Wharfplank
January 1, 2020 12:44 pm

Oh, PayPal…mmm is there another way to donate?

Matt
Reply to  Wharfplank
January 1, 2020 1:40 pm

That’s what I was coming on to say. Last time I did PayPal I got imposter PayPal solicitations for months. Not doing it again. There are other services…or a snail mail account please.
All that aside, thanks for all the hero work and looking forward to the coming upgrades. Anything that helps you guys and gals educate me on the science is great by me.

Y. Knott
Reply to  Matt
January 2, 2020 4:04 am

– And neither donation button is working for me. I will decide how much I donate, thank you; but the “other amount” button comes-up with “0.00” and will not let me add, subtract or alter that amount.

jorgekafkazar
Reply to  Y. Knott
January 2, 2020 7:56 am

Put the cursor at the left and type a number, then edit as needed.

Steve Case
January 1, 2020 12:47 pm

Great news (-:

Rob_Dawg
January 1, 2020 12:47 pm

I see nothing onerous in these changes but that is because I am not one of those seeking to disrupt civil discourse.

> One of the biggest problems we’ve had is with trolls that use fake names, fake emails, and fake connections (proxys) to threadbomb.

There has also been abuse of nested replies. I don’t have a good answer but too often people will reply to the topmost post reply to show up higher in the comments stream.

Your efforts are underappreciated and I am not alone in hoping your real life issues are proving rewarding.

commieBob
Reply to  Rob_Dawg
January 1, 2020 1:20 pm

There has also been abuse of nested replies.

Sometimes a reply to one of my comments will seem to have nothing to do with what I said. Maybe I’m not very good at communicating. 🙂 Anyway, I can’t remember any that seemed like obvious trolls. The nested replies make it a lot easier to follow a conversation.

I do appreciate the couple of people who express unpopular ideas here. It keeps us on our toes. On the other hand, it would be nice if they’d provide some evidence to back up what they’re saying.

Reply to  commieBob
January 2, 2020 11:48 am

“reply to one of my comments will seem to have nothing to do with what I said”

If there is a possibility of misunderstandings, I provide a short quote from the post I’m replying to. Also commieBob, using the name/handle of the person replied to can help.

BTW I post under my own name because I’m retired. It reminds me to not be uncivil in what I say, and distinguishes me from trolls who hide the identities behind their despicable comments. However I understand how this would be imprudent for some other people who do not post very unkind comments.

Roger Knights
Reply to  Ralph Dave Westfall
January 2, 2020 3:38 pm

“If there is a possibility of misunderstandings, I provide a short quote from the post I’m replying to.”

And there’s always a likelihood that SOMEONE will misunderstand—or pretend to, so as to get in a “dig.”

AleaJactaEst
January 1, 2020 12:50 pm

Done.

CTM, ‘av a blast, as they say in Yorkshire.

PatrickH
January 1, 2020 12:54 pm

Thanks for the update Anthony,
I’ll be sending a little something and I’ll try to make repeated donations. The site is valuable to me. Quite an education from everyone involved.

Happy New Year

Steve Case
January 1, 2020 12:55 pm

I ran into the User ID Password doesn’t match buzz saw trying to donate with a credit card. I won’t try again, I’ve run into this before and it’s a hopeless merry go round.

beng135
Reply to  Steve Case
January 2, 2020 11:09 am

Yeah, I’ve run into that too & don’t even think of re-signing into wordpress — I might end up not being able to post.

Editor
January 1, 2020 12:56 pm

Yay. I will likely be (at least partially) retiring this year, so I’ll have more time for my neglected duties.

BTW, you never did reply to my Email (and ctm’s followup) about my month and categories summaries were back in my Guide to WUWT and no longer triggering the unencrypted web page warnings. https://4castwidgets.intelliweather.net/enso/guide/

Richard P
January 1, 2020 12:59 pm

This is a great way to allow for better discourse and to keep control of those under bridge dwellers who think themselves clever.

Can’t wait to register.

Thanks for all that WUWT does for those of us that want to keep informed and help others to see the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

Scott Finegan
January 1, 2020 12:59 pm

Anthony,

Please make “Surface Stations Gallery” available.

Alastair Brickell
Reply to  Scott Finegan
January 1, 2020 5:38 pm

Scott Finegan
January 1, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Yes and it would be useful to have a sea level rise reference page too if possible.

commieBob
January 1, 2020 1:05 pm

The only thing that will keep me from commenting is having to use my real name. I’m retired so they can’t go after my job any more but the Social Justice Warriors (SJW) have me surrounded. Two members of my family have been their victims. One received threats of violence from all over the continent.

The Framers envisioned that it might be dangerous to express unpopular opinions.

Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society. SCOTUS

yirgach
Reply to  commieBob
January 1, 2020 2:28 pm

Exactly. I live in a remote part of southern Vermont, if my name was published and the eco loons came around it takes 30 minutes for the local police to arrive. I would have to defend myself and my family and it would get ugly. Do not even want to think about that.
Don’t mind registration as long as I can keep anonymous on the Internut.

Reply to  commieBob
January 1, 2020 3:26 pm

Same for me.
I live in Blue Oregon surrounded by blue neighbors. One of which even tore down my Trump sign 3 years ago.

John F. Hultquist
January 1, 2020 1:07 pm

Right on!
To ctm,
We, meaning WUWT folks, likely won’t make you
as rich and famous as Marc Benioff, but you are
much appreciated.

Happy New Year all!

Red94ViperRT10
January 1, 2020 1:12 pm

WUWT […] will require registration to comment.

Will this be separate from and different than the WordPress login?

Reply to  Red94ViperRT10
January 1, 2020 1:20 pm

Most likely as we do not host on the wordpress.com network.

Robber
January 1, 2020 1:13 pm

Happy New Year with $100.

Jean Parisot
January 1, 2020 1:16 pm

$100 in, thank you guys. I last moderated a dialup bbs and can’t imagine dealing with today’s clowns.

jono1066
January 1, 2020 1:18 pm

Sounds good to me
but one question,
I use three real different email accounts to send from depending on where I am, home/work/spare-time
?

best regards for the new year

Reply to  jono1066
January 1, 2020 1:22 pm

Is there a question or did you want corroboration that your list of three locations does indeed add up to a sum of three?

Bob
Reply to  Charles Rotter
January 1, 2020 1:36 pm

Good to see you are still an ass hole…

Reply to  Bob
January 1, 2020 1:39 pm

A bit atrophied. Need to flex those muscles every once in a while.

RockyRoad
Reply to  Charles Rotter
January 1, 2020 1:40 pm

Oooo….dry, very dry! LOL!

jono1066
Reply to  Charles Rotter
January 1, 2020 5:26 pm

Charles,
the question you unfortunately missed . . .
was the potential need to either register three times with WUWT with the same user name or the ability to log three different email accounts on the one registration,
I did a quick calc and found that the locations did indeed add up to 3, they also summed up to 3, I couldn`t find a way add them up to a sum of 3.
my apologies for not including a, or the, question in this response but I hope it clears up your question.

Reply to  jono1066
January 1, 2020 6:48 pm

How does that work for your Amazon or Netflix accounts?

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  Charles Rotter
January 1, 2020 5:34 pm

Then thou must count to three.
Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three.
Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three.
Five is right out.

Rod Evans
Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
January 1, 2020 11:51 pm

Nicholas, You have clearly not come across the UKs, Abbott economics in your counting world. 🙂

Adam Gallon

Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
January 2, 2020 8:05 am

How was Antioch?

commieBob
Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
January 2, 2020 9:32 am

I was just thinking that and then I scrolled down to your comment. 🙂

Reply to  Nicholas McGinley
January 3, 2020 7:17 am

Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it — The Book of Armaments, Chapter 4 verse 20

Editor
Reply to  jono1066
January 1, 2020 5:07 pm

Whoa, we can post here via Email? 🙂

R.S. Brown
January 1, 2020 1:19 pm

Anthony/Charles

My only concern is that although I have a valid email address on file with WUWT,
I’ve haven’t opened my account in over five years… too many web creatures used
it as a point of entry and slipped though my blockers and filters over the years.

Will I have to re-register (and figure out how to get back into my email account)
or might there be there a “grandfather” option for those of us who signed up during
the 2000’s ?

I rarely make substantive comments on WUWT, but occasionally find a news piece
that fits the thread topic and put up a link for other readers to consider.

I hope I don’t end up as a lurker.

Happy New Year/ Decade to all !

Reply to  R.S. Brown
January 1, 2020 1:26 pm

No one is “signed” up from years ago. We used to be on the wordpress network, where you likely are signed up. Our current incarnation does not require registration for commenting. We currently don’t even have a way to sign up.

That is what is changing.

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  R.S. Brown
January 2, 2020 4:03 pm

You could always open a free email account at any of numerous sites.
Or perhaps use your automatically generated Facebook email address (which hardly anyone knows they have) if you have a FB account.
Google, Hotmail, Live, any internet provider if you pay for an internet service…
There are huge numbers of sites which offer free email service.
And most companies that offer free email will let you have more than one.
I would assume that everyone knows this…except for the fact you feel you need to get into an old account for some reason.
Just sayin’.

Nicholas McGinley
Reply to  R.S. Brown
January 2, 2020 4:05 pm

“Free email accounts may seem like a dime a dozen, but there are some free services that stand way above the rest. This article will help guide you through the best free email accounts and which features make them the best.”

M Courtney
January 1, 2020 1:31 pm

Fairly sure I was imitated on this website a while back. But when I looked again to respond the post couldn’t be found Wasn’t sure if mods had deleted it or if I had misread the name (it was definitely a “Courtney” as my CTRL+F found it).

This was back around Easter. I was busy so I forgot about it. It may have been my mistake anyway.

But I have noticed my comments have been slow to come up ever since; often spammed

January 1, 2020 1:32 pm

Registration is a good idea. Best wishes for the New Year to Charles the Moderate, Eric Worrall, David Archibald, Bob Tisdale, Willis Eschenbach, David Middleton, and Kip Hansen and thanks for the solid work in 2019,

H.R.
Reply to  nicholas tesdorf
January 1, 2020 6:46 pm

“Charles the Moderate”?

I’m curious to see what CTM has to say about that, although the 5th Amendment is also a possibility.
;o)

jaymam
January 1, 2020 1:40 pm

If it was possible to post graphs and charts etc so they could be seen without people having to follow a link, we could win this battle against the alarmists. Quora seems to be able to do that quite well, but Quora is open to manipulation by gangs of alarmists. Otherwise the debate will go on far longer than it should.

Steven Mosher
Reply to  jaymam
January 1, 2020 8:16 pm

“If it was possible to post graphs and charts etc so they could be seen without people having to follow a link, we could win this battle against the alarmists.”

ya links can show sources and you don’t want anyone checking sources. Hide your sources, win the battle!
(unlikely)

Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 6:25 am

Don’t be an ass (yeah I know that’s akin to asking you to not be you). jaymam’s point was that being able to see a chart as a chart is a lot more effective than providing a link and *hoping* readers will follow it so they can see the chart. The fact is a lot of people, when reading the comments, don’t bother to follow the links that people post for many reasons ranging from laziness to computer safety – IE only clicking on links when it comes from someone they trust.

Latitude
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 6:28 am

do strawmen ever shoot back?………..

MarkW
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 9:26 am

Once again steve shows how incredibly ignorant he is on almost every subject imaginable.

Doing this does not hide links. Hovering your mouse over the picture will cause the link to be displayed.
Also if you go to the site, your browser will show the link at the top.

Regardless, steve and his fellow warmistas wrote the book on how to hide your sources.

Paul Penrose
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 9:45 am

Steven,
For an English major you sure seem to have poor reading comprehension.

Joel Snider
Reply to  Paul Penrose
January 2, 2020 11:09 am

And grammar. And indication of sloppiness.

JEHILL
January 1, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi AW and CTM,

Once I get settled from another cross-country move; I will make two; one for site and earmarked for CTM.

Happy New Year to you both and all here at WUWT.

Eric Stevens
January 1, 2020 1:48 pm

I’ve just tried to make a donation. At the very end I failed because PayPal insisted on ask me for my ID number.

What ID number? I live in New Zealand where we don’t have ID numbers.

What is this?

Zig Zag Wanderer
Reply to  Eric Stevens
January 1, 2020 2:42 pm

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Editor
Reply to  Zig Zag Wanderer
January 1, 2020 5:09 pm

#6.

Reply to  Zig Zag Wanderer
January 1, 2020 6:53 pm

I C UR IP

Oldseadog
Reply to  Eric Stevens
January 2, 2020 3:48 am

Eric, I live in GB and PayPal doesn’t ask me for an ID number, it asks me for my PayPal password; but you have to be a member of PayPal to make the thing work.
Open a PayPal account.

TG McCoy
January 1, 2020 1:52 pm

Good to hear, Bravo, Anthony!.Happy New Year!

ralfellis
January 1, 2020 1:55 pm

Can we post images again? – it was much better when jpg images opened in the comments.

And can the posting page remember who we are, so we do not have to type in the details each time?

Cheers, R

Reply to  ralfellis
January 2, 2020 10:33 am

And can we have the ability to edit. We had it for a short period of time. As someone who all too often makes the occasional typo and usually fails to catch them until after “Post Comment” has been clicked, the edit function is a very nice to have feature.

Sam Capricci
Reply to  John Endicott
January 3, 2020 10:59 am

In addition to edit…

I would love if there were fewer or no pop-ups. I opened the site four times today and twice my virus protection shut it down and once I was hijacked with an ad for virus protection. Maybe something like FreeRepublic has, they don’t have ads, just quarterly fundraising to a goal. Some pay and some don’t but no ads or pop-ups.

Schrodinger's Cat
January 1, 2020 1:55 pm

I welcome these changes. WUWT is one of several influential sceptical sites but is almost certainly the one with the greatest reach. As a visitor since the very early days, I have had the privilege to have an awareness of the human side of Anthony and Charles and this really has become a family of like minded people with regard and respect for each other.

As the UK faces relentless propaganda from the BBC, mounting pressure from ER and an exploited schoolgirl, and threats from officials such as the Governor of the Bank of England, then we need all the firepower we can get. WUWT provides much of the evidence with which to respond and this is key. We need as much support as we can get.

Anthony allows both points of view. He clearly dislikes bull from either side. The site has respect and integrity which has been earned over many years. Keep it up.

Ed Zuiderwijk
January 1, 2020 2:05 pm

Looking forward to that. In the meantime, now that you are back full time, I assume you also are back in Paradise. How is the situation there after last year’s forest fires?

FarAway
January 1, 2020 2:09 pm

Happy New Year !
Thanks guys for all your efforts.
One hundred USD donated now.

January 1, 2020 2:14 pm

To comment I use ‘vukcevic’ here and ‘Vuk’ elsewhere but with the same email, when I come here afterwards without clearing my browser (Opera), which I sometime forget to do (or shutting down the pc) I get ‘logged’ in automatically with ‘Vuk’. Apparently it was OK since I’m reasonably well known here and AFAIK I had not been ticked off for it, I offer my apology anyway.

Frederick Davies
January 1, 2020 2:14 pm

Well done to Charles the Moderator for all the hard work; there is $50 for you…

FD

David blackall
January 1, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi Anthony, thanks for the work and we look forward to hearing from you. A suggestion if I may. You might recall the bushfires of February 2009, the Russian Government offered our (Labor) Australian government, two large firefighting aircraft, five times the maximum water carrying capacity of the US ”Elvis” skycrane helicopters. But this offer from the highest level of Russian Government was rejected, according to the Russian embassy in Canberra in 2009. It seems that in this case, there is no difference between Labor and Liberal, both could do more in assisting firefighting. Instead, it is political, both sides of politics constantly demonize Russia, or China, or Iran or Syria. Imagine these large aircraft today, flying over the fires currently burning, and those that are likely in these next weeks. These giant Ilyushin-76 jets can drop in a single pass 42,000 litres of water or retardant on a fire – almost five times the maximum capacity of the ”Elvis” skycrane helicopters. The world’s biggest and most advanced waterbombers, the IL-76 waterbombers, were “developed to fight wildfires in remote areas of Russia such as Siberia, but have been used to fight major fires in Greece, Portugal and Yugoslavia.”

Quote: Two large water tanks are filled in 10 to 12 minutes and can be dumped in a single burst, producing a downpour akin to heavy rain over an area 550 metres long by 100 metres wide. If the tanks are emptied sequentially, the saturated area extends to 900 metres by 65 metres.

In a letter submitted to the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission last week, the Russian ambassador to Australia, Alexander Blokhin, said experts from the Russian Ministry of Emergencies estimated that two such aircraft ”would have been enough to cope with the firefighting task near Melbourne in February 2009”.

He also stated that a smaller, Russian-built firefighting jet, the amphibian Beriev BE-200, which can scoop 9000 litres of water from the sea – even with waves of up to 1.5 metres running – could have stopped the East Kilmore fire ”in one or two hours if the firefighting operation started in due time”.

The East Kilmore fire eventually consumed Kinglake.

The Russian ambassador’s comments were contained in a submission to the royal commission from a member of the Australian-Russia Business Council, Luke Fraser, who submitted that the commission and Australian firefighting authorities should consider more advanced firefighting technologies. End quote.

Latitude
Reply to  David blackall
January 1, 2020 3:54 pm

David, it’s amazing to me….places in Australia, California, etc…have these massive wild fires every year…and yet, every year they act like they are surprised to get them
Just the damage they could prevent alone would pay for an entire fleet of water bombers….

and none of them have any!

Patrick MJD
Reply to  Latitude
January 1, 2020 6:29 pm

Unfortunately, known firebugs are still free to roam the bush and start fires. This year in New South Wales at least, over 80% of the fires were started by arsonists. IIRC, in Western Australia in 2009, known arsonists were “warned”. That’s not a good enough IMO.

Reply to  Patrick MJD
January 1, 2020 7:29 pm

Patrick, between 2001 – 2007 the Australian Productivity Commission analysis of bush fires Australia wide, concluded that we had an average of 54,000 bushfires per year at that time. These fires were suspicious 37%, accidental 35% and deliberate 13%. That is staggering, and yes though we do in fact have our own water bombing craft, and have received loan craft from other countries we obviously need to invest in some of the bigger ones as well. Remembering too that these fires cover vast areas, some with little in the way of roads, or large bodies of water, making them more difficult to contain. That the greens and leftists reduced backburning in the name of the environment is criminal.

Ben Vorlich
Reply to  Latitude
January 1, 2020 11:41 pm

France has a fleet of 12 Canada ir CL415 water bombers which are used several times every year. Most fires are put out pretty quickly. I haven’t seen any evidence of this type of aircraft operating in Australia on the footage I have seen, are there any bei g used?

in_awe
Reply to  Latitude
January 2, 2020 11:36 am

Having lived in California for 35 years I too was frustrated by the state’s refusal to acquire a fleet of aerial firefighting platforms. The excuse started out as “the fire season is too short and variable to justify ownership”. So, the state would lease aerial assets principally from Canadian companies for 4 or 5 months at a time. As the length of the fire season grew the state insisted that simply extending the lease terms was enough. The state assiduously fought every attempt to force the acquisition. IIRC when super water/retardant dropping aircraft such as the DC-10 and 747 became available, the state said that they couldn’t be used until the US Forest Service could certify the airworthiness of these planes.

Finally, a few years ago the state started buying some small fixed wing aircraft for fighting wildfires. Not sure how many are in the fleet at this point.

I would be curious to have someone “follow the money” related to the decades long delay in acquiring these essential assets.

nw sage
Reply to  David blackall
January 1, 2020 5:33 pm

David,
Here in the USA Pacific NW there is an outfit which has converted a Boeing 747 into a fire suppression water ‘bomber’. This plane can unload VERY large quantities of fire suppression material very quickly. They have had the usual tiffs with the bureaucracies here in getting approval to fight some of the major fires in California but are now – finally – approved by the US Forest Service. It seems that, since your fire season is offset from ours by 6 months, it would be useful to inquire about the availability of this service, for hire, as soon as practical.

jeff
January 1, 2020 2:24 pm

I would like comment rating by votes bought back.
I find it makes reading the comments much more interesting and informative.
If your website views has reduced maybe that is part of the reason.
Good idea to have registration to fight trolls and fakes.

Earthling2
January 1, 2020 2:29 pm

Happy New Year WUWT and all that frequent here. CTM must be on steroids for all the hard work he has been doing the last year. Keep it up at least until Trump is reelected because I think a lot of people that even arrive here by accident will never vote democrat after visiting this site for a few weeks. Donation forthcoming.

In fact, I would be happy to pay good money for a Professional version of WUWT, perhaps a site that offers an introductory accredited course on meteorology and links to other various climate education learning centres. If I had my life to do over again, I think I would have taken a degree course in meteorology or some climate related subject with a focus on meteorology/weather and climate. I have always been fascinated by science in general and meteorology/climate is one of my favourite subjects to read up on. I know I have learnt a lot about a lot of things here, and I think I have improved my writing skills some since being able to contribute any ideas to the mix here. I don’t know how many words I have written here, but it is the most writing by a country mile I have ever done in my life.

Perhaps real scientific papers could be submitted and published by scientists and lay people alike, providing they met some minimum standard at a professional version. I recall the difficulty that Pat Frank had just getting published and I believe it was published here first where we could all take a good kick at the cat. Maybe some kid submits a future paper here that is a game changer for science and the world. Maybe a part of the website that is kid friendly, and meant for kids to learn both sides of the debate on climate related matters is in order just because the war on climate is being waged against the kids, scaring them to death with tall tales of doom. Wouldn’t it be great to see a web site that was a counter to the brain washing going on by the alarmists and using kids like Greta to spread misinformation and panic.

These are just ideas and opinions floating around in my head so just kicking stuff around. A professional version would keep the trolls at bay, since they would be too cheap to enrol in a paid site. Maybe…Truth be told, I think a lot of us here over the years have already learnt a lot from a lot of other people here, and most of it already is very professional. One of the things that I appreciate about this current site, is that it doesn’t really look much different from 10-12 years ago. There is something to say for consistency. So in a way, it will be sad to see changes coming, but then it will also be exciting to see a new and improved WUWT. Keep up the hard work everyone…at the end of the day it is the volume of people who frequent here and contribute with comments to a better understanding of what we are dealing with in climate and other interesting and pertinent affairs. If science is meant to self correcting as its total raison d’être, then I believe this site is doing justice to that principal. Science is never settled and should always be available for debate. This is why current climate science is failing, and why there is such an appetite for sites like WUWT.

Geoff Sherrington
January 1, 2020 2:32 pm

TKS Neil,
Geoff S

January 1, 2020 3:17 pm

Anthony, I am fairly new to this site and it has been invaluable to me. I am not a scientist of any kind, in fact I didn’t even finish high school. I still feel like an imposter at times and wonder if maybe I shouldn’t making comments at all. Having said that, I have worked out who many of the ‘scientists’ are and some of them have responded respectfully and even kindly when I’ve had something to say.

I am something of an ‘oxymoron’ (I’ve left myself open there:), in that I am a right of centre artist. My friends were, leftists. I say were, because when I recently tried to have a conversation with them regarding their stance on CCC armed with facts refuting their fantasy, they all turned their backs on me! Seriously, grown adults, some of them teachers, some of them I had known for decades. I needed to talk about this. Whatever the climate is doing, good or bad, extra CO2 from ‘us’ is not causing it! What arrogance! The Great Barrier Reef is alive and well, the oceans are fine and if you build a city on a reclaimed swamp or foreshore then at some point it’s going to sink!

The ‘ordinary people’ who believe all this CAGW rubbish are simply to lazy to do any research on their own! They are happy to hide behind the ‘science is settled’ mantra without even knowing what those words mean. Simple common sense should tell you in many cases that this is all complete nonsense. I swear they all just love being miserable.

What is it with leftists and the whole ‘chicken little’ and ‘let’s worship a sixteen year old girl’ thing. And that’s just the ‘non (fake) scientists’! Their followers are even worse. How can they follow a so called scientist because their opinions align? A scientist without skepticism, is not a scientist. Whatever happened to truth and facts?

I have enormous respect for the people of science and others on this site who have added to my knowledge, and often with humor. I feel that at times, some of the scientists here feel that we ordinary folk are an intrusion. I have nothing but admiration for the years you have studied and researched in your efforts to achieve your goals, but you need the support of us ordinary folk in this fight against this whole CAGW scam. Just as the ‘non scientists’ have the backing of lazy fools, you will have our backing. The difference being that we will be familiar with your names, we will have at least some insight into what you are about and why it makes sense, you won’t just have our backing you’ll have our respect.

Because the MSM and most other forms of media have shut us out, it makes it so much more difficult to get the truth out there. Sky News here in Australia are just about the only network who constantly talk down CAGW. You had a post from a Sky News report about Craig Kelly (Australian MP) recently which went down well. I believe that the Sky Network is in the UK as well, maybe you need to get some positive media attention?

As I said Anthony, this site has been invaluable to me. I’d like to take this opportunity to wish yourself and the WUWT team and families a very Happy New year!

If I am eligible to be I part of WUWT under the new system, I promise to try to be a little less verbose. Sorry moderator 🙂

Scissor
January 1, 2020 5:01 pm

Your writing and reasoning skills are better than most college graduates. Keep it up and Happy New Year!

Reply to  Scissor
January 2, 2020 1:05 am

Thanks so much for your encouragement Scissor and Happy New Year to you and yours too!

Gary Pearse
January 1, 2020 6:27 pm

Megs, I’m sure you are welcome here. I do have a science and engineering background, but on this topic I have no hesitation in stating that my knowledge of climate has been almost all gained here through the generous hearts and minds of scientists who comment and post articles. You should have no trouble getting your questions answered on this site.

I did try to get a balanced view by visiting a number of catastrophic global warming sites but asking pointed questions soon gets one banned from most of these sites.
BTW, Anthony has an open invitation to all mainstream pro-CAGW scientists to comment or even submit articles. Very, very few have even commented. Sign up!

Reply to  Gary Pearse
January 2, 2020 2:05 am

Thanks so much Gary. I think I have learned as much as from the comments as from the posts. The links that others post are good to take you outside the site and further validate theories. It always makes me smile when a thread goes from equations to humor, though I have to admit the equations do go over my head, not surprisingly.

I am still learning who people are and retrospectively I think I may have been the subject of amusement from time to time.

I am a total newbie to all this and I’m really enjoying it. I’m not on any form of social media nor have I posted comments prior to WUWT the past few months. I am only recently overcoming my nerves.

I appreciate your encouragement Gary. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Joz Jonlin
January 1, 2020 9:44 pm

Although I’m also not a scientist but someone with a strong science background in medicine and physics, I find myself to be more on the creative side as well as right of center, like you. Personally, when I speak about this subject, I do it one on one to reduce peer backlash for the person I’m speaking with. What I’ve found is that my liberal friends are by far the most tolerant and understanding friends. As long as you completely agree with their worldview. It’s sad to lose friends over something like this, but if I do, it’s on them, not me. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me as I’m open to the fact that I’m often wrong and I need challenges to what I know or what I think I know. Friends who dump you over something like this were probably not really friends to begin with. Move on and find friends who not only challenge you but are also open to being challenged.

Reply to  Joz Jonlin
January 2, 2020 3:47 am

Thanks for your response Joz.

The thing that made it easier for me to deal with the loss of important friendships was my recent move to the country. I’d had little contact from them in six months and it coincided with my research into solar power. Our gorgeous little historic goldmine town, population 2,700 is earmarked for 1,700 hectares of solar panels. We already have 87 mw installed on 300 hectares. Installation took around ten months, panels sourced from China, overseas developers, backpackers filled most of the jobs and a handful of people run it. None of the power goes to the town and no one has a say in whether or not the remaining infrastructure goes ahead, it’s likely it will. Incidentally, our town is also soon to be declared fire prone.

I came across WUWT while I was researching solar panels. I was horrified by what I’d learnt across the internet and deeply upset. I needed to share my newfound knowledge with friends, the rejection was painful but I now felt I had nothing to lose. I need to be true to myself and when you are so personally affected it’s not like you can turn a blind eye.

I just hope that I can make a difference in some way, even if it’s to help promote some sort of fight or action against the insane ignorance.

Happy New Year Joe, to you and yours!

January 2, 2020 4:40 am

Sorry Joz, don’t you hate it when your device wants to think for you!

Try again, Happy New Year Joz, to you and yours!

ozspeaksup
January 2, 2020 5:09 am

it would be very useful to try n log the RISE I would expect in local temps due to the dark reflective surfaces on the PV cells
another vic town farmer has had a solar farm setup next to his orchards, and hes worried about that effect on his fruit trees

oh and sth aus Pt augusta solar farm uncompleted just got flogged off to another mob, who are saying they mightnt complete the PA plans but relocate parts elsewehre
I found that damned funny as the solar scam was supposed to save the town after they trashed th power plant.

Roger Welsh
January 2, 2020 9:46 am

Well said. I belong in the same category.

JEHILL
January 2, 2020 9:50 am

Hi Megs,

I am sorted in the same boat as you. I did finish school but not my college studies. I was recruited out. Did some Army stuff that I cannot go into – it involved a lot of math, learned my electronics and electrical engineering from the Army; did a short stint as my platoon’s NBC tech. Passed the Navy Nuclear shool entrance exam; but did not go. I have worked as a Field Engineer on scientific analytic instrumentation for 20+ years, installed lots said equipment at few a NOAA facilities around the country; worked in a couple SEM labs; on-site Engineering support for the nuclear pharmaceutical industry – means I operated and repaired cyclotrons and the buildings in which they lived.

You do not have to have a scientific or engineering degree to be literate in any of those intellectual areas. Historically planet Earth is littered with the Engineering works, robust engineering projects, from our ancient ancestors; long before a single “accredited” institution was conceived. All you have do is read and practice, or have been born with your brain wired that way. Personally I am convinced the the best engineers are not made in the crucible of classroom. They come out of the oven – womb, with their brains wired for that type of thinking.

Reply to  JEHILL
January 2, 2020 1:20 pm

You obviously went above and beyond Jehill, in regards to taking the opportunity to make the most of what life put in front of you. Sounds like a book in the making.

January 1, 2020 3:31 pm

Anthony wrote: “One in particular in Oregon has bragged about it,”
Can anyone provide a link to that bragging, as I failed to save it at the time and he recently denied using multiple names.

Thanks
JK

Peter Barrett
January 1, 2020 4:10 pm

Those WUWT followers residing in the UK will be only too well aware that we have the “honour” of hosting COP26 later this year in the Scottish capital. I predict (not difficult) that our esteemed national broadcaster will lead the rest of our msm in promulgating even more widely than usual the beliefs of the church of greencrap, probably starting early in the year.

We deplorables have fewer resources to hand, hopefully Anthony’s reorganisation (especially a reference site) will increase our armoury. It would be a very satisfying outcome if COP26 were to turn out to be an even bigger failure than its predecessors. I’m sure that we will all do our utmost to help bring that about using scientific argument, comedic ridicule and everything in between.

In the face of a well organised establishment we will probably resemble an uncoordinated rabble, but guerrilla warfare has been successful many times in the past. Happy new year, everyone.

Rob_Dawg
Reply to  Peter Barrett
January 1, 2020 8:23 pm

…the Scottish capital.

An interesting assertion.

Susan
Reply to  Rob_Dawg
January 2, 2020 1:39 am

Glaswegians think they come first.

Peter Barrett
Reply to  Rob_Dawg
January 2, 2020 3:01 am

AH, my bad!

Not sure who to apologise to first, Glaswegians or Dunediners.

January 1, 2020 4:12 pm

So, do we get gold-plated plaques to commemorate being in the first wave of people who actually have the guts to sign up [gulp!] to comment on WUWT? Ahhh, I dunno, that might be more commitment than some people can handle. (^_^) And I will still use my REAL name! Woah, living on the edge !

Peter Barrett
January 1, 2020 4:24 pm

Megs wrote:
“I believe that the Sky Network is in the UK as well, maybe you need to get some positive media attention?”

Hi Megs, unfortunately Sky UK is at the opposite end of the political spectrum to the Oz network. If anything they are ahead of the BBC in promoting the establishment view and have veered to the extreme left on many matters including EU membership and CAGW (or as they now describe it – The Climate Emergency), unfortunately we will get no help from that direction. Our new PM has paid lip service to climate policies, but as he has promoted a few sceptics into his cabinet I hope he will take a step (or several steps) back.

Reply to  Peter Barrett
January 1, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up Peter, who’d have thunk it? Do the UK have any networks who promote the stance of WUWT?

HotScot
January 1, 2020 5:54 pm

Megs

None Megs. But we have lots of individuals, not least Lord Lawson and Lord Ridley, as well as the irrepressible Delingpole who writes for Breitbart. But it’s an uphill struggle as the BBC has all but banned climate sceptics from the airwaves by official pronouncement.

They host lots of alarmists, but if a sceptic is even allowed to air their views as Lord Ridley did the other day on Radio 4, the BBC invoked the right of reply from an alarmist, but no right of reply is allowed from sceptics.

Thankfully, the groundswell of public opinion tells us that 75% of the public want the BBC Licence fee to go and our Prime Minister has made noises of support for that. If that happens the landscape should change in that respect but no one in the UK is holding their breath.

The BBC is, like the National Health Service, a sacred Cow – and riddled with the left and Common Purpose.

F. Ross
Reply to  HotScot
January 1, 2020 9:20 pm

Speaking of UK individuals, lets not forget the very knowledgeable and interesting Lord Christopher Monckton

Reply to  HotScot
January 2, 2020 2:49 am

The ABC is in the same league as the BBC. The journalists and the content are nothing short of offensive and there is no right to reply if you are right of centre, that is if anyone right of centre can get their face or opinion on the screen. Australians pay an excess of one billion dollars every year in tax payers money, and they call it ‘your ABC’. The thing is, no one with any brains wants it! It is nothing more than a propaganda machine for left wing views.Good to here you at least have some high profile people speaking up.

Maybe Anthony might consider a conference in Sydney with high profile scientists and your knowledgeable Lords all being promoted globally by Sky News. They have quite a few journalists at Sky who are well versed in ‘skepticism’. I’m sure I’ve seen Andrew Bolt’s name mentioned on this site. I think a conference like that would attract quite a crowd. Just thinking out loud.

Peter Barrett
January 2, 2020 1:45 am

Unfortunately not, Megs. The BBC, Sky and Channel 4 have all taken the King’s shilling on CAGW, and ITV (our other terrestrial network) struggle to remain neutral, presumably for fear of losing advertising revenue. We have a couple of newspapers who are still very willing to publish sceptical views, but again the majority of our press fully support the climate catastrophe agenda.

The propaganda is so extensive (starting in our schools) that I am in danger of losing close friends just by talking about the subject. I suppose I have a circle of about twenty close friends, one is neutral on the subject, one other shares my views and all the others see me as some sort of heretic, so I try to avoid discussion. Despite most of them being well educated, at least to degree level and many in science subjects, the brainwashing seems to have been successful, but I continue to chip away whenever I can, especially on the subject of Attenborough who has now achieved messiah status in the UK.

Reply to  Peter Barrett
January 2, 2020 5:14 am

Peter our circumstances regarding the leftist push is similar here in OZ. Schools and Universities are all about the leftist agenda. I’m nervous about the next election when these kids can vote. It’s compulsory here in Australia.

We do however have a strong right leaning Sky Network. I say strong because like ‘this’ site they do aim to present a ‘balanced’ view. Basically, they aim to present the truth. The Daily Telegraph has similar aims, only in print.

In regards to friendships, I discussed this a few comments up in reply to Joz Jonlin. My circumstances were very similar to yours in regards to circle of friends, I say were because I decided to have the conversations, I’ve lost almost all my friends, geographical distance helps, I am not forced to confront them.

What’s with David Attenborough? He is even contradicting his past episodes! I think my husband has watched everything he’s ever put to air. He loves everything about nature and now David has ‘sold out’.

I choose to remain optimistic, world’s end is not imminent, and at least I now know that I’m not on my own entirely.

u.k.(us)
January 1, 2020 4:37 pm

“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”
===============
Thanks for the warning though.

high treason
January 1, 2020 4:51 pm

Good to get rid of malicious trolls. Here in Australia, there is one in particular who put malicious stuff up on the page of a certain person he hounds in the middle of the night, then sued the page owner for the “nasty and libelous” comments he himself put up!

Our legal system is too soft on this blatant malice. Why this particular case was not thrown out immediately is beyond belief and why said malicious troll is not in jail for deliberately setting someone up is also beyond belief. Why said troll has not been forced to pay compensation other than just legal fees also beggars belief. Luckily, said troll lost this case and the serial vexatious litigant faces bankruptcy. Just have to hope that this vexatious serial litigant who is at the forefront of crushing freedom of speech in Australia does not get crowd funding to pay for him to continue crushing freedom of speech.

As long as I can retain my High Treason name, I am fine. Mind you, sometimes I do use my real name and my real name has been mentioned in one article, a stunt I intend to better in 2020. The essential thing is that my real identity remains anonymous. Perhaps we can have a CV type system to establish bona fides. Perhaps a points system for assorted activities. Having some of the qualifying activities up on the page will give readers ideas on how to wake others up as well as spurring readers to greater heights of creativity and effectiveness.

A resources section is something that is basically crucial. High quality downloadable key charts such as the Roy Spencer chart of predictions v reality with the certainty bars from the IPCC superimposed and the Vostok ice cores showing CO2 v temperatures with the blatant time axis being reversed. The “proof of hot spot” using a misleading colour scheme is another useful item.

Links to videos so skeptics can choose the most appropriate for a specific target. For example, I hope to make one specifically for an Extinction Rebellion hard core volunteer I had a brief chat with recently that will have a reward for watching the video. Send the 5 words ( a message in itself) embedded verbally in to the video to a gmail account or mobile and I will send you my cure for migraines and cluster headaches. The video will feature such core charts in a video with some humour to it. As 15% of the population get migraines and most people know someone who gets them badly, I can create a sense of obligation to induce this twenty something girl to watch the video and wake up. She will have to watch the video to be able to help friends who get migraines. Waking up a single hard core extinction rebel that obviously has energy ( their hard core brigade spend most Sundays in the city having a love-in) can be invaluable. The video will create a sense of obligation that once woken up, it is your duty to spread the enlightenment , in this case, in to the core of the hard core. The migraine cure video will be redone specifically for the audience of – “only 10 years, 11 months and 29 days before we all die” brigade. Hint- the cure for many migraines and cluster headaches involves a basic knowledge of the perception of pain. I can now wipe out a migraine in 10 seconds and no hangover. It was an epiphany – that moment of enlightenment, similar to what the video is hopefully going to achieve-that moment of clarity when you wake up that you have been deceived.

Jimmy Haigh
January 1, 2020 5:02 pm

Done.

Happy New Year Anthony, Charles and all here on WUWT. All the very best for 2020!

Michael S. Kelly
January 1, 2020 5:19 pm

I, too, wish to thank Charles the Moderator for his yeoman dedication over the past year(s). He has been diligent, but very even-handed and objective. I look forward to a great New Year for WUWT.

RStabb
January 1, 2020 5:27 pm

A new beginning, down with the doomsters 🙂

Rud Istvan
January 1, 2020 5:32 pm

All good. But, knew was coming since I buy CtM (self outed as Charles Rotter) lunch about once a month now that he has abandoned San Fran in favor of South Florida. So, will register.

Windsong
January 1, 2020 5:39 pm

Charles,
Thanks for the many long hours and hard work. A donation is on the way. Hope you can take some time off and enjoy some calm.

Tom in Florida
January 1, 2020 5:43 pm

Just an observation. I comment on the Fox News website quite often. That requires a full one time registration. Once I did that and chose a “name” to comment under, that name is used for all subsequent comments. That “name” is auto populated when you log in. If WUWT uses a similar registration system there is no worry about anyone’s real name being published unless you wish to use it.

Reply to  Tom in Florida
January 2, 2020 5:01 am

Indeed. I have so many email addresses and domains, that its seldom I use anything like my real one.
I think as far as the BBC is concerned I am a black female single parent living in Milton Keynes

Might as well tick all the ‘woke’ boxes eh?

Reply to  Leo Smith
January 3, 2020 7:33 am

You’re just missing “disabled” and “Lesbian/LGBTQWERTY123!@#” to get “woke” bingo.

HotScot
January 1, 2020 5:45 pm

I have chipped in a peanut. Not nearly enough for the value I have had from WUWT. Sorry it can’t be more.

Rich Davis
January 1, 2020 6:07 pm

Wish I could do more. Thanks for all the great work. Happy New Year to the WUWT community!

RStabb
January 1, 2020 6:13 pm

We (Skeptics) have a friend in the States. #donald j trump

Reply to  RStabb
January 1, 2020 7:00 pm

I wish Australia had a skeptic friend like Donald Trump. Maybe he could send a few regular skeptic tweets to our Scott Morrison.

RStabb
January 2, 2020 3:44 am

Trump’s busy at the moment beating up Macron. He tweeted a pic of cars burning in Paris and asked him how the Paris accords are doing. Big Don has no time for this nonsense.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  RStabb
January 2, 2020 5:25 am

I missed that one. Thanks for the early morning laugh! You gotta love ole Trump! 🙂

RStabb
Reply to  Tom Abbott
January 2, 2020 6:09 am

I bet Trudeau is next. Rule by tweet and mockery, he has no time for environmentalists.

RStabb
Reply to  RStabb
January 2, 2020 5:35 am

How is the Paris Accord doing? Don’t ask! https://t.co/9N0yibmDkj— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 31, 2019

Mike From Au
January 1, 2020 7:03 pm

You need to sell DVD’s or USB’s that contain an archive of the entire site. This is also a safeguard to make sure the content is not vulnerable to the whims of the internet and so forth.

It would be an excellent source of income for the site as well. I would love to buy a copy of the entire site on DVD or USB.

Mike Maguire
January 1, 2020 7:08 pm

We greatly look forward to this Anthony!

Happy New Year and Happy New Decade to You!

Red94ViperRT10
Reply to  Mike Maguire
January 2, 2020 8:13 am

This is not a new decade! That doesn’t come til next year. Because the calendar had no year 0, no being less than 1 until the end of that year, it took all the way to the end of year 1 to complete the first year, it took all the way to the end of year 10 to complete the first decade, so the second decade didn’t start until the first day of year 11. And so it continues today, it will take all the way to the end of this year to complete the 201st decade, and the 202nd decade won’t begin until January 1 of next year.

Reply to  Red94ViperRT10
January 2, 2020 9:42 am

A decade is simply a span of 10 years, so technically every year is/can be the start of a new decade (span of 10 years) you just need to specify what span of years the decade you are talking about covers. This happens to be a new decade that covers 2020 to 2029 (the years that begin with 202 aka the twenty twenties). Last year was a new decade that covers 2019 to 2028 (nothing really significant about that range of years, hence why nobody celebrated it as the beginning of a new decade). Next year will be a new decade that covers 2021 to 2030 (aka the 202nd decade of the Gregorian calendar, cause for more celebrations I’m sure).

Reply to  John Endicott
January 2, 2020 10:24 am

should have read 203rd decade of the Gregorian Calendar. D’oh.

Rich Davis
Reply to  Red94ViperRT10
January 2, 2020 10:14 am

As Mosh would say:
Wrong

(And also because David likes to be annoyed)

2020 is the last year of the 202nd decade AD, not the 201st. The first decade anno Domini started on 1/1/1 and ended on 12/31/10, right?

And wrong again because the fact that 2020 is the last year of the 202nd decade does not mean that it isn’t also the first year in the decade of the 2020s. The 2020s are the ten-year period starting on 1/1/2020, that contains the years matching the pattern 201x.

If you got married in 1990 would you not say that you had been married for three decades? A decade is any ten-year period. The period from 1/1/2006 through 12/31/2015 is also a decade. If you worked in a job from 5/6/78 until 5/5/88, you would have been in that job for a decade. Just as you can measure time in years, you can use decades as the unit of time. Some decades are an integer number times ten years later than the first decade of the first century that started on 1/1/1. Some decades do not line up that way.

Your way of thinking is like saying that water doesn’t freeze at 0C, it freezes at 32F.

Happy New Year & welcome to the Twenties!

Christopher Chantrill
January 1, 2020 7:15 pm

Again, Anthony, thank you for all you do.

And thank you, Charles the Moderator.

For me, you two represent the best of America.

Rick
January 1, 2020 7:37 pm

Commenting on WUWT is fun and comments are informative but it is preaching to the converted. Better to force alarmists to defend their positions in the comment sections of leftists rags. You get blocked a lot but it can be hilarious.

Steven Mosher
Reply to  Rick
January 1, 2020 8:20 pm

3x2
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 1, 2020 10:32 pm

So, just out interest Steven.

I comment under a Mickey Mouse article in The Grunt (UK). No swearing or abuse, a simple critique of the piece. Immediately banned. All previous activity gone.

Your opinion?

(genuine criticism of this piece of non-sense https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/02/australia-your-country-is-burning-dangerous-climate-change-is-here-with-you-now)

Reply to  3x2
January 1, 2020 11:40 pm

3×2

Sorry I have to go with the Australian colloquialisms here, the person who wrote that article is an ignorant areshole! OK so I held back. I am so fed up with the lies that come from that rag of a newspaper. As I have written elsewhere on this post, the average number of fires between 2001 – 2007 in Australia was 54,000 per year! We have always had fires, they are made worse only by leftist idiots who won’t allow off season backburning. Under a Labor (left) government in 2003 an electricity company was fined large sums of money for ‘clearing’ the bush under high tension wires. When the inevitable bush fires swept through, guess where the animals went for refuge!

January 2, 2020 5:34 am

Correction, I actually meant ‘vernacular’ not ‘colloquialism’ and anyway I chickened out, not even sure if I spelt that one word correctly. How do you spell check swear words? Can you?

I wouldn’t even have a serious attempt at an Australian colloquial ‘comment’!
It was done here recently by a genius linguist, obviously 🙂 I could never compete.

Patrick MJD
Reply to  3x2
January 2, 2020 12:07 am

It seems to be happening everywhere now. Since some weeks before the end of the year, *ALL* of my comments have not been posted at the Australian Sydney Morning Herald as I don’t follow the alarmist narrative.

Steven Mosher
Reply to  3x2
January 2, 2020 6:14 am

My opinion.

The Guardian is a piece of shit. Mann does bad statistics. And you should have Zero expectation of having your comments accepted on ANY site. If you want to make an impact on the debate you should

1. read MORE science and less opinion pieces by anyone, especially Mann.
2. Choose a SINGLE AREA where you think you could come up to speed. I picked temperature records. Anthony picked Site surveys. Steve McIntyre picked proxies, Nic Lewis chose ECS. FOCUS is the only way an amateur can catch up and make an impact. Impact s is key
3. Publish, article, blog, book, whatever. leave a legacy others can BUILD ON. comments are not shit. I kick myself for wasting time on it (even now)
4. Engage policymakers, commenting on shit papers like the guardian is a waste of your potential.

Patrick MJD
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 8:51 am

“Steven Mosher January 2, 2020 at 6:14 am

2. Choose a SINGLE AREA where you think you could come up to speed.”

Physics and IR spectroscopy disproves the CAGW hypothesis without the need for proxies or adjusted temperature records.

“2. FOCUS is the only way an amateur can catch up and make an impact.”

SCIENCE usually catches up with AMATEURS. Newton, Faraday etc. Plenty of examples of that, such as plate tectonics.

Alastair Brickell
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 1:42 pm

Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 at 6:14 am

I certainly don’t always agree with what you contribute to this site but these are very sensible comments…thanks.

Patrick MJD
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 1, 2020 11:14 pm

Hey Mosher, did you know Tony Heller, the person you suggest should not be followed, actually did something productive in computing and received awards for his work? Your claim to fame is bitcoin mining and BEST?

MarkW
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 9:39 am

If someone won’t defend their position, that’s pretty much an admission that even they know their positions are indefensible.

The success of Anthony and this site is really getting to steve.

Joel Snider
Reply to  Steven Mosher
January 2, 2020 11:12 am

‘Nobody can be forced to defend their position. In addition to freedom of speech, most folks enjoy the freedom of thought as well. But hey, maybe the thought police can force both sides to defend their beliefs or lack thereof.’

Wow – you sure don’t pay attention to the rhetoric and ACTIONS on your side of the fence do you?

BTW – the ‘thought-police’ are all yours.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Rick
January 2, 2020 5:37 am

“Better to force alarmists to defend their positions in the comment sections of leftists rags. You get blocked a lot but it can be hilarious.”

Being blocked precludes forcing alarmists to defend their postions. If the alarmist websites allowed free comments, I would be spending all my time there challenging them to produce even one bit of evidence demonstrating that CO2 is doing anything detrimental to humans.

But you can bet those censors on the alarmist sites and their alarmist readers also read WUWT. They have to if they want to keep up with the latest arguments and developments. So commenting on WUWT reaches many places.

And the challenge to produce even one piece of evidence showing CO2 is detrimental is seen by a lot of alarmists and a lot of alarmist climate scientists, and you can bet your bottom dollar that if they had that shred of evidence they would be over here crowing about it. You never hear them crowing, though. We know the reason why.

Dennis G. Sandberg
January 1, 2020 7:41 pm

Tried to contribute but just a simple credit card payment. Please consider dropping the pal requirement…also why did an auto fill of a wrong phone number area code 202 occur? Never experienced that before. Temporarily cancelled donation.

JohnWho
January 1, 2020 7:50 pm

One of the most important points about the new WUWT:

“Reading content will still be publicly available…”

Posters having to register shouldn’t be an issue unless WUWT uses some obscure platform since most insure personal information remains private except to the Host Administrators for verification purposes.

If it keeps active topics “on top”, it will be a welcomed process for most of us.

IMHO

Freedom Monger
January 1, 2020 7:50 pm

I’m sorry but this is just a test to see if I can make comments. I used to comment frequently but I faded away because others were already saying what I wanted to say.

Philip Schaeffer
January 1, 2020 8:24 pm

I have no problem with my real name being attached to what I say.

Having been called an anonymous coward here in the past, I have little sympathy for those who want to avoid the consequences of having their name attached to what they believe.

MarkW
Reply to  Philip Schaeffer
January 2, 2020 9:43 am

You have no problem with people getting fired for commenting on skeptic sites?

Tom Abbott
Reply to  MarkW
January 3, 2020 5:19 am

Yes, there are good reasons for some people to remain anonymous. The political opposition are a very nasty lot.

MarkW
Reply to  Philip Schaeffer
January 2, 2020 2:26 pm

Amazon announces a policy of firing those people who openly oppose it’s environmental policies.

Joz Jonlin
January 1, 2020 9:12 pm

I’ve thrown in a few dollars just now. It’s not much, and I wish it could be more, as he deserves it. All of you do. Thanks for the great site and Happy New Year to Anthony Watts and crew!

3x2
January 1, 2020 10:19 pm

Good to have you back Anthony.

Just as an aside … Banned from the UK Grunt for criticising everyone’s favourite ‘scientist’ …

Banned for suggesting he might be wrong and they might all be living in an echo chamber?

Well, now I can no longer comment at The Grunt, I’m off to The Smiths on youtube and voting Boris or Trump

Steve S.
January 1, 2020 11:25 pm

I don’t comment often, but I do often find comments I like and find myself looking for the upvote button. I hope the changes allow for upvoting comments. Either way, thank you for your website and your service.

3x2
January 1, 2020 11:26 pm

Such as …

Old but unbeatable Manchester music. (for Phill in California)

Rod Evans
January 2, 2020 12:33 am

Anthony/Charles and all who contribute to the WUWT output, thank you for maintaining the sanity of sceptics.
The growing realisation, across the world is, the climate alarmists are not just wrong, but are now dangerously wrong. We have to continue questioning authority, conventions and challenging consensus at every opportunity. That is the role of science.
I am encouraged, by conversations I have had in the past year with several young people who are starting to question what they have been told by their, on message climate crisis teachers.
The sad part is, they always say,they could not possibly speak openly or say the things they say to me in their peer group, because they would be immediately ostracised or worse.
The open society we all grew up in, where individual opinion was welcomed has gone. The teaching profession (is it even a profession any longer?) now promotes group think rather than individual views. This is probably the most regressive and limiting feature of “modern society”.
Keep up the great work. I will continue to support and will pass on the existence of the WUWT site, to as many others as I can.
Happy New Year to everyone. 🙂

griff
January 2, 2020 12:40 am

Well this is my last post: I don’t trust this site with my real data.

Nor do I think a censored echo chamber with opposing views moderated out does anything for the discussion of real issues around climate.

The evidence for human caused climate change continues to stack up: sea ice, arctic temperatures, extreme weather…. etc

The polar bears are in trouble – no amount of posting misleading evidence based on no research will change that. The UAH temp figures are manipulated nonsense. The likes of Willie Soon are a shame to science. DDT was never banned for fighting malaria and is a hazard to the environment. Wind turbines are not killing birds in quantity – just check for extrapolation of Altamont figures (a special case) nationally or internationally to see the nonsense of figures quoted. Renewables work and don’t bankrupt or cause power outages, there are no masses of abandoned wind turbines appearing, there definitely isn’t a new ice age, a solar minimum would barely dent temp rises and Monckton is the modern equivalent of the guy who invented perpetual motion

Follow the fossil fuel money…

I’ll miss the jokes – you guys have an excellent sense of humour… also the interesting rage of science articles Anthony has presented and in particular David Middleton’s articulate and detailed writing on energy.

Meanwhile you should all go read the Berkley Earth findings… and stop reading/reposting the Guardian, it will help your blood pressure.

So long – and thanks for all the fish!

(You were put into moderation for NUMEROUS good reasons over 6 months ago, yet after 4,715 comments and MY continued approving your often stupid and ignorant comments out of the Trash Bin, you diss the blog owner, the moderators and the participants in the thread. Please stay away this time, after all this is your second or third time you said you were leaving and never coming back, maybe you should get a permanent banning the next time you show up?) SUNMOD

Reply to  Anthony Watts
January 2, 2020 11:47 am

Long departing monologues speak greatly to self aggrandizing with a hint of desperation to find acceptance, so it seems. I’ve never understood why people who intend to leave think that their parting words make any more of an impact than any other words they might have posted. Why not just leave, and say nothing? — that’s what I’d do.

Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 8:38 am

I’ll miss him, his comments were allways a source of a good laugh 😀
And his knowledge of Germany in general and Berlin in particular is unbeatable 😀

Patrick MJD
Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 9:10 am

Hey Griff, remember your “death spiral” arctic ice predictions that were also made by a postie by the handle “Tony McLeod”? He had the courage to bet on his opinion/prediction, the bet was if he was wrong, he’d leave WUWT for good. He, as well as you, was wrong, very very wrong however, he kept his word and left WUWT. Shame you haven’t kept yours about leaving. Regarding Berkley Earth, that’s about as good as the Australian BoM’s blatantly adjusted ACORN-SAT1 dataset and the even more, comically, adjusted ACORN-SAT2 dataset that makes a mockery of “climate science” and the AGW hypothesis.

Your comments have been entertaining for me, especially when you bleat on about Australia and Africa, where you have never been to any country in particular Kenya, which shows you haven’t a clue.

Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 9:24 am

Well this is my last post

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

MarkW
Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 9:44 am

Is this griff’s second or third “last post”?

Reply to  MarkW
January 2, 2020 10:26 am

His “last post” …. until his next post obviously.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 9:45 am

“Well this is my last post: I don’t trust this site with my real data.”

We already know who you are Mr. Griffin. Yet nothing bad happened to you, now did it. Methinks you demonize too much.

MarkW
Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 9:46 am

Registration equals censorship????

Reply to  MarkW
January 2, 2020 10:35 am

Well, it makes it easier to block the trolls, so from a troll’s point of view it does.

JohnWho
Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 11:15 am

Wow! Give Griff credit for making the most wrong statements in a single thread!

He may have gotten that “last post” thing right though.

/grin

Joel Snider
Reply to  griff
January 2, 2020 11:51 am

Self-serving as always.

Geoff Sherrington
January 2, 2020 12:51 am

Circumstances have changed. There was a time when retribution against “deniers” was swift, vicious and policed. Now, many more people know how this damages fine ideas like freedom of expression. The word police have become more disliked as their methods are exposed in public.
Now is the time to challenge these thought police, to expose them and to win again and again until they lose the will. Such challenge still has costs, but it also has rewards.
Anthony Watts, Charles Rotter, Richard Lindzen, Roy Spencer, Christopher Monckton, Judith Curry, Kip Hansen, Steve McIntyre, Nic Lewis, to name just a few people who sometimes are judged as climate change sceptics, use their real names. Their words are more credible because their work and publications can be found as normal, without the need to decode the pen name. There are other good reasons to out oneself. Give it a thought and help turn the tide with positive action.
Geoff S

Phil
Reply to  Geoff Sherrington
January 2, 2020 2:48 am

“Anonymous bloggers here might wish to reconsider and decide to use their real names, as I have always done.”

Attorney General Lynch Looks Into Prosecuting ‘Climate Change Deniers’

US Attorney General: We’ve ‘Discussed’ Prosecuting Climate Change Deniers

16 Democrat AGs Begin Inquisition Against ‘Climate Change Disbelievers’

mikewaite
Reply to  Phil
January 2, 2020 4:35 am

Those news reports are from 2016. Nothing happened so far as I am aware (but I am not a US resident so ignorant of localised US events ).
Didn’t someone once say : ” the only thing we have to fear is…fear itself ”
(BTW I am having to relinquish my old Win7 PC , so when registering the ip address will be different to current one).

Reply to  mikewaite
January 2, 2020 6:49 am

mikewaite, something happened a little bit later that year that you might have heard about called the Presidential election. The anointed successor who would have followed along with the previous administration’s ideas and either kept Lynch as AG or replaced her with someone of the same view, failed to win. Instead, an Washington outsider who expressed skepticism of the CAGW narrative was elected President. So AG Lynch was out of a job and her replacement wasn’t of the same mind in regards to “prosecuting deniers”. Depending on who wins the election this year could determine if we get another AG like Lynch or not and thus whether something will happen along those lines or not.

Phil
Reply to  mikewaite
January 2, 2020 9:56 am

Authorities like to compile lists of people for political reasons. Electronic “vacuuming” of information that can later be accessed in violation of constitutional protections is another concern. Any challenge to the orthodoxy is viewed as an act of hostility. Freedom of speech does not really exist. Prejudice is commonplace. The climate change orthodoxy is a juggernaut that tolerates no dissent. Politics leadership is subject to change. There are many reasons for concern. It is not a frivolous concern.

colin smith
Reply to  Phil
January 2, 2020 11:56 am

Did they ever define what a “Climate Change Denier” is?

Peter Barrett
Reply to  colin smith
January 2, 2020 12:48 pm

I think, Colin, we just have to assume it is someone who does not “believe” the same as them.

That seems to be the historical commonality, Spanish inquisition, national socialists in ’30s Germany, Maoists and Remainers in the UK. It is a belief structure every time which is no problem at all until the government of your country of residence adopts that belief structure into its legal framework. Then, to quote St Greta, you might find yourself up against the wall. As an aside, a Scandinavian friend has informed me the the phrase “stood up against the wall” has exactly the same connotations in Swedish as it does in English.

Reply to  Geoff Sherrington
January 2, 2020 6:40 am

Circumstances have changed.

Not really. Cancel culture is still alive and kicking. If someone fears their livelihood could be affected by an irate SJW attempting to get them fired or threaten their family, I for one won’t blame them for wishing to remain anonymous.

Hugs
January 2, 2020 12:57 am

I will probably not register.

I’m still sorry about using words like e—–. Added to your workload, didn’t mean that.

It’s been long time to use less time on climate change, so this might be a good thing. Thanks Anthony and others, especially thanks to Charles for his humour and Willis for his interesting takes.

I wish you happy 2020!

Reply to  Hugs
January 2, 2020 10:29 am

Hugs: I will probably not register.

Sorry to hear that. You’ll be missed.

Alastair Brickell
Reply to  John Endicott
January 2, 2020 1:50 pm

January 2, 2020 at 10:29 am

Yes, I agree…hang in there Hugs…don’t walk away – your comments are generally interesting and useful.

Arbeegee
January 2, 2020 12:58 am

One feature I’d love, love, love to see on WUWT is a permanent link to WUWT’s top ten (or even top 5) best arguments that dispels the CO2 GW hoax. For the purposes of readers who wish to concisely arm themselves when arguing against alarmists. These ranked arguments would always reflect the best data and would be accompanied by references if ever needed.

Curious George
Reply to  Arbeegee
January 2, 2020 7:56 am

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Arbeegee
Reply to  Curious George
January 2, 2020 3:30 pm

“There is no beauty better than intellect.”
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

lb
Reply to  Arbeegee
January 2, 2020 12:44 pm

January 2, 2020 4:56 am

This coming week, WUWT will no longer be an open commenting system, it will require registration to comment. I’ll give 24 hours notice, and it will likely be next Monday. Many, many, websites that allow comments require this, and it has become clear to me, that we need to go that direction too. Doing so will help keep the quality of conversation elevated, and will only require a one-time registration that will take about two minutes to complete. It will stop the trolls, the impersonators, and the drive-bys and give us a tool for enforcing our commenting policy. It will also ease moderation duties.

What took you so long?

Excellent idea. Now less ads and more donations.

ResourceGuy
January 2, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks to all!

pyromancer76
January 2, 2020 6:56 am

Anthony, please make separations between those articles that are working in the scientific method and those that are pure ideology furthering scientific fraud. Today there are too many of the latter. I continue to come here for the good science and intelligent commentators, but these – linkable articles/reports – are in the minority. I hope a new style and format brings changes.

Welcome back, Anthony. Thanks for the hard work, Charles the Moderator. Thanks to all the faithful scientists and followers of science who comment here. Happy New Year.

January 2, 2020 8:31 am

What’s with postings from different sources, phone and computer and possible different IPs ?

Reply to  Krishna Gans
January 3, 2020 7:26 am

You tell me Krishna Gans, what is with it? With registration, you can use all those different sources to access this site as the *same* account (you simply log in with the username/password you created at registration). That’s a good thing, surely (I know, I know. don’t call you surely).

Currently, you can, in theory, post under one name from your phone, another name from your work computer, and another name from your home PC, etc and, because they’re all different IP addresses the mods wouldn’t necessarily catch all your sock puppets. which is great if you’re a troll, not so great for those who have to deal with the trolls.

Jan E Christoffersen
January 2, 2020 8:55 am

Donation to CTM made. Thanks, Charles – and Anthony.

Alastair Brickell
Reply to  Jan E Christoffersen
January 2, 2020 1:53 pm

Jan E Christoffersen
January 2, 2020 at 8:55 am

Ditto your comments.

Happy New Year, Jan.

Eugene Conlin
January 2, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks for the all your hard work CTM, and welcome back Anthony – Pittance sent
Dymuniadau gorau am y Flwyddyn Newydd. Iechyd Da!

Vuk
Reply to  Eugene Conlin
January 2, 2020 11:29 am

A blwyddyn newydd dda i chi hefyd fy ffrind

Eugene Conlin
Reply to  Vuk
January 3, 2020 1:29 am

Diolch yn fawr iawn 😊

TheLastDemocrat
January 2, 2020 9:03 am

Best of luck! I may not sign up to comment. While my comments are always very much in the range of normal science, culture, or policy talk, I am worried that the government has the power and ability to collaborate with Google, and whomever else, to take a comment as a suggestion of a problem person, and begin surveillance and investigation of that person.

They have already done that to President Trump. Some of us know the story. May do not yet know. They had massive, surrounding surveillance on him. Following “Patriot Act,” they faked the case that someone affiliated with his campaign was in cahoots with Russians to mess in our presidential election, and this opened the legal door to make their surveillance of Trump and others legal. Secret but legal.

Now, from the whistleblower fiasco, as well as this FISA Court shenanigans, we know that the government 1. has the ability to carry out a lot of surveillance based on little or no/faked info, 2. to go far beyond the original mandate (i.e., Manafort getting in trouble for activities that pre-dated Trump running), 3. there is little or no way for regular oversight of all of this to be carried out, so we little people have no redress or control over our own government, which purportedly only exists to serve us.

Other situations show most of this to be valid. The government eventually declared that they were misguided in hassling the Bundys, and the government eventually declared that it had weaponized the IRS to specifically hassle Tea Party groups. –These two examples are not my opinion, but are now a matter of record.

Being registered somewhere just makes that all the more tempting to the government. Create it and they will come.

I have contributed in my own little way to the amazing benefit of this site. It is a cultural force and a cultural phenomenon. I have contributed the concepts and history concerning the Marxist influence in our culture and politics, the trend of Progressives to want to control, via eugenics and other abortion policies as well as “family planning” / population control policies who does and does not give birth. As I and others, such as “Gail,” have covered these related totalitarian efforts, this has helped people see how Prog politics exploits “Science” and the scientific community. Many have been illuminated to this in these past dozen years since I first began reading and commenting.

I have also thrown out this observation that the concept of “covariance” between two variables requires each variable to go both up and down (we must have observations of the phenomenon both zigging and zaggin), and that we cannot statistically or mathematical-modeling-ly assess “covariance” if one of two variables is monotonic. CO2 is monotonic: in modern times, in current observations, we have not observed it going up and down, aside from seasonal variation. We therefore cannot examine covariance, using our mathematical modeling and statistics, between CO2 and any other suspected causally related variable.

[CO2 proxies from ice cores do have CO2 going both up and down, and the estimates of global temp also go up and down, thus suiting a “covariance” analysis; however, these measures are observed after the fact which inherently allows biases to be involved.]

There are many critiques of the mathematical modeling of CAGW. I have read MBH1998 (and its corregendum), and I find it to be slippery and to have too much method without enough thoroughness to be acceptable for peer review; I would have not accepted it for publication. Others have gone to great lengths to critque this mathematical claim of CAGW support, and that is valuable. This point I have, about “covariance” analyses requiring variability across time in both variables is essential, is foundational, but is actually hardly in any stats textbook and has not been in the discussions of the measurement/analytic foundations of CAGW support. I hope it will be one day, but there is plenty to kill the math-based CAGW “proofs” without this covariance issue being invoked.

I hope I have contributed to this cultural melange, as well as benefited.

WUWT is among the best handful of sites ever on the internet. [Also, the post, AW, about you getting hearing corrections is one of the best things ever posted in the internet. Willis’ various musings are pretty darn great, as well.]

Best of luck, Anthony and Crew! I will keep reading.

Patrick MJD
January 2, 2020 9:14 am

I have been reading and posting at WUWT for about 12 years, told off once (Thanks CTM). It’s my go-to source of sanity for interesting articles covering all subjects.

Looking forward to the new WUWT look and feel. I have donated once or twice however, I am unable to do so at this time. I am hoping for some good news after the 6th with a job opportunity. If not, then I don’t know…

Reply to  Patrick MJD
January 2, 2020 12:45 pm

Good luck with the job Patrick and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Patrick MJD
January 2, 2020 10:10 pm

Thank you. And to you too. 2020 cannot possibly be as bad, for many reasons, as 2019 has been.

JeffB
January 2, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks to all that work hard to keep WUWT running. The truth will win!
And special thanks to Charles! Donation made.

R John
January 2, 2020 12:49 pm

I really appreciate all of the work done by CTM!!! Donation made and thanks Anthony for the chance to help out.

Admin
January 2, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your extremely generous donations and outpouring of support. I am grateful to have the honor of helping to keep this site running.

PeterT
Reply to  Charles Rotter
January 2, 2020 3:22 pm

Charles, I’m here and will continue to be, every day! Thank you and the rest of WUWT for your incredible work.
Donation made!

michael hart
January 2, 2020 4:26 pm

Glad that you’re back in the saddle, Anthony.

Don N
January 2, 2020 5:27 pm

Is WUWT qualified for tax deductible donations? I considered making a donation before the end of 2019, but I couldn’t find any representation on the website about treatment of donations for tax purposes such as under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The ability to take a tax deduction could increase donations.

Tom Abbott
January 3, 2020 6:03 am

It sure would be nice to have an open thread at WUWT where any suitable subject could be raised and discussed without being off-topic. The recent activity in Baghdad would be a good subject to discuss, I would think.

I assume the new comment software upgrade will include a way to highlight new posts after your last visit, which would be essential for an open thread, and for articles that generate hundreds of comments.

Eric Anderson
January 3, 2020 10:03 pm

Anthony, congratulations and we look forward to having you more active.

Hopefully with your closer involvement, WUWT can return to a system of fewer (and more substantive) OP’s, as in the early key days of this website. Unfortunately, the general approach of recent months has largely been OP’s that consist of quick news flashes, accompanied by snarky drive-by commentary in the OP, often with cute jabs and name-calling thrown in for good measure.

I have often wanted to refer friends and family to this site to help them understand the issues regarding global warming, but, frankly, don’t feel comfortable doing so, based on the quality and tone of the OP’s that frequently show up as of late.

Regards,

Luc Ozade
January 4, 2020 1:02 am

Great job, Charles. Well done and thanks from me (a small token of appreciation is on its way, but not under this name though, lol).

Happy New Year to Anthony and his team – and also to all fellow travellers on here.

Oddgeir
January 8, 2020 3:30 am

“It will also ease moderation duties”

As I can understand that argument, as a lot of other posters, I will not yield my persona details.

For fear of what it can be used for today and more so, what it can be used for tomorrow when WUWT are ordered to hand over the membership database to Authorities.

And that WILL eventually happen. And WUWT will deliver or find themselves blocked from the Internet with Watts in jail.

Been there, done that on a very tiny almost “private” discussion group where Authorities took an interest in having access to the membership database after one -1- of the participants managed to expose criminal stock market naked short-selling activities from several Investment Houses, using open sources.

Authorities demanded- and got their hands on the whole database.

NOT nice.