North Atlantic spawns 9th storm of season: Irene

Tropical Atlantic Wide View (floater) from NHC

Update:  Monday, August 22:  Hurricane Irene will likely rapidly intensify at some point over the next couple days becoming a major hurricane (maximum probably Category 4).  It is a large-storm with a massive wind field that will likely expand further as it moves north.  Irene has the potential to be a climate weather disaster of historical proportions.  A couple most recent (12z) mesoscale forecast model tracks put either Miami or South Carolina under threat of a Category 4, 5 landfall.  Yet, with any 5-day forecast, the track skill is on the order of 250 mi, which could mean Irene misses land all together.

NCEP HWRF August 22, 2011 12Z "maximum wind speed swath" of the inner nest

Princeton GFDL Mesoscale Model Maximum Wind Speed Swath (August 22, 2011 12Z run)

As of  Saturday night, Irene is a tropical storm centered east of the Lesser Antilles.  But, where will the storm be in 5-days (on Thursday)?  The National Hurricane Center officially prognosticates a tropical storm in the Florida Straits as of the 11 PM AST advisory on 08.20.11.  Can you do better?  In the comments, feel free to pontificate about the track, intensity, and potential landfall location of Irene — and go “On the Record”.  It’s okay to include image links in your comments in order to make your case.

The early Sunday morning Mesoscale model guidance show “doomcasts” of Category 5 hurricanes undergoing quite different tracks.  At such an early stage of development of the storm, GFDL and HWRF are not going to be your best model to look at.  That would be the best numerical weather prediction (NWP) global deterministic model run by the USA European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting.  Current ECMWF North Atlantic Wind Speed and MSLP forecast at my FSU-COAPS weather website.  The August 21, 2011 00Z run puts a Category 2 hurricane “east” of Florida with landfall in the Carolinas in 6-days.   And, for fun:  binary typhoon interaction in the Western Pacific (Fujiwhara effect).

NCEP HWRF August 21, 2011 00Z "maximum wind speed swath" of the inner nest

Princeton GFDL Mesoscale Model Maximum Wind Speed Swath (August 21, 2011 00Z run)

44 thoughts on “North Atlantic spawns 9th storm of season: Irene

1. I am unable to understand why meteorologists name every small storm that seems to occur in the Atlantic. If we did that in the north of Australia, during cyclone season, we would soon run out of names.
    Only when a storm has pressure reduced to the 996mb level, do they get named as a cyclone has formed.
    Oh, that’s right, Gore told them it was going to be worse than ever with increasing CO2.

2. What the heck…I posted this at a weather message board that I frequent. (For entertainment puposes only):

3. This is such an interesting time to ask about path. It could go anywhere. But, to me, it looks like it’s already turning & breaking up in the Atlantic. So, my guess is that it doesn’t hit anything.

4. Actually Ryan, WP.com will strip out that image embed code. The best they can do is leave a URL to the image and we can then edit and embed for them. – Anthony
    [ryanm: hmmm…can u see the picture in my next comment?]
    REPLY: You have author priviledges, the system allows it. Regular commenters get it stripped out last time I examined the issue. – Anthony

5. The MRF model predicted this storm beginning last Tuesday. That’s when Joe D’Aleo alerted me to the development which he had been expecting for several weeks. That night the MRF forecast that the eye would be near Key West by a week from today. I have been sharing this forecast with my viewers each day, showing refinements in the model forecast each evening. For the MRF maps from last night’s run, showing the storm crossing Florida from Miami to near Tampa Bay, then moving northeastward across North Florida and then along the East Coast to Atlantic City by Tuesday, August 30th. To see this model go to the Unysis website:
    .http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/gfsx.php?inv=0&plot=pres&region=us&t=6e
    You can see how I presented this long range prediction on TV at
    You might care to comment if this sort of public display of a long range computer model forecast is professionally appropriate. I noted that no one else I could find, including the Florida TV weathercasters were putting this forecast on the air. I am nerviously watching to see how well the MRF verifies.

6. sarc/ON
    I hope this isn’t too technically worded for ya’ll, but after churning for quite some time my models are telling me this storm will wobble and waffle some before heading up the Hudson River estuary and it will maybe definitely inundate the West Side Highway of NYC, in a week or so plus or minus a few days. In doing so it will provide James Hansen with one correct prediction:
    And, it will be worse than previously thought.
    sarc/OFF

7. Joe D’Aleo, the best long range forecaster I ever knew, has been expecting a significant hurricane to form and move up the Atlantic coast for several weeks. He alerted me that it was happening last Tuesday. That evening the MRF Model predicted the storm to reach the Key West area by a week from today.
    This evening the model is on track with Joe D’Aleo’s long range outlook, showing the storm hitting Florida and then moving northward on the Atlantic coast to Atlantic City in ten days. You can see the MRF model maps on the Unysis weather website at
    I began sharing the MRF forecast with my TV viewers each day showing how that track would vary in detail but continue to carry the storm to Florida within ten days. This is the first time I have put such a long range prediction on the air. I checked to see if the Florida weathercasters were doing this with an online check of several of their webpages and did not find anyone else doing what I was doing. I am a little nervous about putting this model forecast on the air so many days out, but as the models improve, I think it is service to alert viewers to this possibility. You can see how I handled it on TV at

8. @ Tom Harley
    It has nothing to do with Al Gore and his unscientific rhetoric. To make a broad generalization that his opinion is used to name storms is unfounded and outlandish. The truth is West Pacific minimum pressures are lower than in the Atlantic for the same wind. This is because the pressure gradient determines the wind, not the central pressure. Average pressure in the West Pacific is relatively low so you need a very low pressure there to make a strong wind. Take a look at the CI (current intensity) number used in Dvorak Analysis. For a 2.5 number, sustained winds at 35kts, you need a Atlantic minimum pressure of just 1005mb while in the West Pacific you would need a minimum pressure of 997mb. This is why we name every small storm that seems to occur in the Atlantic as you put it . So the 996mb in your area is honestly not that impressive.

9. Tom Harley says:
    August 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm
    =================================
    Point taken. However, even if this was an “A” storm and not an “I” storm this particular animal would be significant A or I or Z for that matter.
    This is a potential disaster looming…and on short notice.
    It may not…and if it doesn’t…then thanks be for the beloved South Florida.
    Point is it could be significant ala Ike and we in the USA are nowhere prepared for a repeat of such.
    I love (LOVE) Miami. I hope they are prepared.
    Chris
    Norfolk, VA, USA

10. Off topic, but I thought I would share this gem from the comments page of the Daily Telegraph, talking about the recent attack by a Polar bear on a school expedition, and its subsequent shooting…
    verybigjohn
    “the expedition had gone to Spitzbergen to study the
    effects of climate change…”
    At least there is now real evidence that climate change has killed a polar bear.

11. If Joe D’Aleo thinks this will be significant then that’s good enough for me. You are bound to get one out of the mix.

12. A route south of Cuba is looking pretty unlikely, which would have led to a major hurricane heading to the gulf coast.
    It’s all down to how much of PR, Hispaniola and Cuba are crossed. With the northward reformation of the centre you’d have to expect that Cuba is less in the firing line and that the spine of Hispaniola is more likely to be. If so, then a hollowed-out Irene would probably brush Florida while struggling to regain hurricane strength. A little further north and a much stronger system could threaten the Bahamas, northern Florida and the Carolinas.
    I fear the latter is more likely.

13. Tom Harley says:
    August 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm
    “I am unable to understand why meteorologists name every small storm that seems to occur in the Atlantic”
    Logically it is easier for the average person to associate a particular storm by name. When there are multiple storms it makes it easier to keep track of which one is where and which one will influence a particular area. Harvey has not been a threat to my area but Irene may be. That is easier than trying to remember what and where TS#8 and TS#9 are.
    I am going to act on the forecast that Irene will skirt the east coast of Florida as it turns north and then pushes up towards the Carolinas. However, I will monitor it closely as there is a possibility that it may cross the Florida peninsula and come close to me. I have two plans in mind. If it stays along the east coast, I do nothing. If it looks like it is starting to make it’s way across Florida then my standard 3 day plan goes into affect.

14. I’ll play 🙂
    Most all the models this morning here: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/ are trending to the right compared to previous runs and are in amazingly good agreement with the storm going up the east coast of Florida as a minimal hurricane. The exception is the GFDL which is still trending right and making Irene a Gulf hurricane. The water vapor movie at this time is showing a weak mid level trough exiting the to the right over the Atlantic, with a a ridge building up over Central Florida. The IR AVN loop at the TPC shows the small circulation still moving west with no northward component for this time loop.
    My predictions are:
    The storm has a very small window before it reaches Puerto Rico for it to be pulled north by the trough, if at all because there is high pressure at the surface north of the storm. If the storm goes south of the island it wont be affected much by this and will continue on a more westerly track. This could eventually make it a Gulf storm with a stronger potential for higher intensity.
    If the storm gets pulled a bit North and goes over the Islands, especially Hispaniola, then the TPC intensity predictions seem high. The storm is not strong enough at this time to intensify further while interacting with the tall mountains in Hispaniola and Eastern Cuba. It would be different if this was a well organized Cape Verde storm. In that case the interaction with the islands would not play a major role in the intensity forecast.
    So, if it stays South of the islands it could intensify and become a Gulf Hurricane. If it follows the TPC track and model guidance, going over the islands, it should not reach hurricane status.
    Best,
    J.

15. Tom Harley says:
    August 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Because most people are weather historians or meteorologists and so they decide how active a year was based on how many letters are used. Knowing this, NOAA now names storms that would never have been named 10 years ago and never known about 40 years ago. Then the preachers of doom, such as Dr. Jeff Masters, can proclaim things are getting worse. Already Jeff Masters had a blog post proclaiming things are worse now because 3 named storms occurred quicker than any time in history. It is all about the message, not the truth.

16. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109_climo.html
    Above is a map of all August hurricanes which started within two degrees of Irene. See that one that hit the gulf coast of Texas as a category 4?
    I’m hoping against all odds that Irene somehow manages to push through the high pressure system that’s been parked over Texas for the 18 months and slams into us like a runaway freight train and pushes rain bands into and through south Texas and doesn’t peter out until it gets to New Mexico.
    Pray with me. The drought here in Texas is just God awful with no relief in sight. Curse you La Nina! DIE DIE DIE!

17. John Coleman says:
    August 20, 2011 at 10:39 pm

You might care to comment if this sort of public display of a long range computer model forecast is professionally appropriate. I noted that no one else I could find, including the Florida TV weathercasters were putting this forecast on the air. I am nervously watching to see how well the MRF verifies.

On the east coast we have enough trouble with forecasted tracks for nor’easters being off by 25-100 miles and the major differences that come from the range of solutions.
    Tropical systems, with their compact wind fields, have got to provide a greater dilemma. For something like this storm, of course Floridians should be watching it nervously. It’s August, they should be spending the next 60 days watching the tropics nervously.
    The costs of issuing hurricane warnings that don’t pan out are high. Not only are they expensive in terms of time and money, they quickly lead to the general population taking future predictions less seriously until one verifies and the evacuation routes get clogged.
    OTOH, former NWS director Neil Frank spent some of his retirement trying to teach coastal residents of the risks they face and was amazed how little people understood. (A lot of “Well, they let the condo developer build it, so it must be okay.”) Hurricane Andrew and the recent high activity period have probably corrected some of that misconception, but I’m sure there are still a lot of clueless people.
    Personally, I like the NHC maps. (I have some author privs, does this work for me? I think the last time I tried I decided I’m not privileged enough. Maybe if I quote URLs, WP seems to like that in posts.)

The image is at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0911_PROB34_F120_sm2+gif/085713.gif
    It does a good job of showing the storm is heading for Miami, but could well miss the state. It even makes me interested in seeing the next image. For people with a modicum of tropical storm knowledge, it reminds the storm could be shredded in Hispaniola’s mountains and rebuild itself over the Gulf Stream.
    BTW, the NHC discussions never seem to talk about how they have to make sure they name every little zephyr, but focus on the measurements (and estimates) at hand. The latest notes:
    The upper-level environment is expected to be quite favorable for
    strengthening throughout the forecast period as a result of low
    shear and a mid-oceanic trough to the east acting as a mass sink
    for the outflow in the eastern semicircle. However…the intensity
    forecast is heavily dependent on how much interaction Irene has
    with the mountainous terrain of Hispaniola and what the inner core
    of the cyclone becomes after it emerges off the northeast coast of
    Cuba in about 4 days. Once over the Florida straits…however…
    Irene will have at least 24 hours over some of the warmest water in
    the Atlantic to tap into. The official forecast remains on the
    conservative side due to land effects and is close to a blend of
    Ships and LGEM statistical intensity models.
    Forecaster Stewart
    By the way, this year’s Southern New England Weather Conference (on Oct 22) will have a talk “The Challenge of Expressing Uncertainty for a Winter Storm in Densely Populated Southern New England” by Frank Nocera (National Weather Service – Taunton, MA). There have been similar talks in recent years as the NWS has been spending a fair amount of time on the subject.
    Joe D’Aleo and Joe Bastardi will be there too, their talk is “Wild Winters a Sign of a New Climate Regime? Another? How Long Range Forecasts Benefit Commercial Users.”

18. This is horrifying news !
    It is virtually unprecedented !!
    It has been over 290 days since there was a hurricane in the Atlantic Basin !!!
    Quick ! Somebody alert Al Gore to the dangers we face.
    [and for those a tad slow this morning … /sarc]

19. Leon Brozyna says:
    August 21, 2011 at 8:00 am
    Not to downplay the danger of a hurricane Irene, but it is interesting that were up to “I” already and none of the previous storms “A – H” have been anything significant.

20. To predict a hurricane now is a bit like saying the heart of the season will occur in the heart of the season. However to predict the east coast is at risk requires either more skill, or more daring. I think Joe Bastardi has stuck his neck out to some degree, by suggesting, (back on August 16,) that a hurricane frenzy will occur August 25 to September 15, due to the influence of the MJO.
    I’m very tempted to shell out the dough to subscribe to Weatherbell for just one month, just to get behind the paywall and hear the two Joe’s thoughts. (Joe Bastardi and Joe D’Aleo.) However……then I probably would get no work done.

21. @Dave Springer says:
    “Ah… CRAP! … The only computer model that has Irene threading the needle into the Gulf of Mexico is the UK MET office model. ”
    Fabulous! LOL

22. This is a real threat folks.
    I see the comments making light of the Atlantic storms, and I agree, some of them did not deserve names.
    But this is the biggest threat in a long time to the East Coast.
    Keep in mind, that the Eastern Seaboard even though it only comprises 11.7% of the area of the USA, holds almost 37% of its population (113 million people), including the second largest city in the world, and with most of those people living within 100 miles of the coast.
    The major metro areas DIRECTLY on the ocean and MOST vulnerable to catastrophic storm surges and hurricane conditions:
    Miami / Fort Lauderdale / Palm Beach: 5.6 million people
    Tampa / St. Petersburg: 2.7 million people
    Greater Daytona Beach: 500,000 people
    Jacksonville: 1.4 million people
    Savannah, GA: 350,000 people
    Charleston SC: 675,000 people
    Myrtle Beach: 300,000 people
    Wilmington NC: 365,000 people
    Norfolk / Virginia Beach: 1.7 million people
    Greater New York City / Long Island: 19 MILLION PEOPLE
    Greater Providence RI: 1.6 million people
    Greater Boston: 4.5 million people
    Major metro areas NOT directly on the ocean but on estuaries and vulnerable to storm surges and of course, hurricane conditions:
    Washington DC / Baltimore / Annapolis: 9 million people
    Philadelphia / Wilmington DE: 6 million people
    Major metro areas NOT directly on the ocean or estuaries but vulnerable to hurricane conditions and potential catastrophic non-tidal flooding:
    Orlando, FL: 2.2 million people
    Atlanta, GA: 5.3 million people
    Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC: 1.2 million people
    Charlotte, NC: 1.8 million people
    Raleigh-Durham-Greensboro-Winston Salem, NC: 3.5 million people
    Richmond, VA: 1.3 million people
    Pittsburgh, PA: 2.4 million people
    Buffalo, NY: 1.3 million people
    Rochester, NY: 1.1 million people
    Albany, NY: 900,000 people
    If you include the Canadian big cities in the east, some of whom have had some real disasters in the past from the remnants of hurricanes, then:
    Montreal, Quebec: 3.9 million people
    Ottawa, Ontario: 1.3 million people
    Toronto, Ontario: 6 million people
    Then not to forget the Canadian maritimes and the many smaller towns an cities along the eastern seaboard in the USA.
    All combined, that makes for some 130 million people on the Eastern Seaboard, and includes some of the most important cities on the planet who are vulnerable to hurricanes.
    Then take the US Gulf Coast, those vulnerable to a direct hit from storm surge and hurricane conditions:
    Southwest Florida: 1.7 million people
    Tampa / St. Petersburg: 2.7 million people
    Florida Panhandle Region: 900,000 people
    Mobile, AL: 600,000 people
    New Orleans, LA: 1.2 million people
    Houston, Texas: 6 million people
    Corpus Christi, TX: 400,000 people
    Brownsville, TX: 400,000 people
    Then that doesn’t take in all of Texas’ big inland cities of Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc. but the Gulf Coast states add another 39 million to the numbers.
    I don’t think people appreciate how low-lying, but densely populated, much of the Eastern USA coasts are.
    This includes Manhattan, at 75,000 residents per square mile, the most densely populated island, by far, in the world.
    Chris
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    POINT IS…

23. One thing is for sure, from that satellite pic you can see the very very healthy anticyclonic circulation aloft that is helping ventilate the storm.
    Even though the center reformed to the north by about 60 miles, you can see on the San Juan radar that the center is now heading due west, so, the mean forecast track by the NHC is about on par, at least for now.
    Chris
    Norfolk, VA, USA

24. clipe says:
    August 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm
    Tom in Florida says:
    August 21, 2011 at 5:18 am
    “If it looks like it is starting to make it’s way across Florida then my standard 3 day plan
    goes into affect.”
    “Charley didn’t telegraph this move.
    Charley was already in the Gulf moving up the west coast of Florida. By the time it was nearing Ft Myers my yard had been cleared of potential flying objects, supplies had been checked and topped off and the house boarded up. We were ready. As Charley approached it looked as though the eastern eye wall packing 150 mph winds was on track to pass right over my location so we headed for the local shelter. As for Irene, it is not forecast to cross Florida at this time. However, if that changes I am ready to do what I need to do.
    But you make a good point. These storms can do anything once they near landfall. It is why we need as much advance warning as possible with constant updates. I know many people like to dismiss these early warnings but living in this area teaches you it is better to be over prepared and safe than under prepared and sorry. Just ask those that took Charley’s quick turn and direct hit.

25. Target: the Carolinas.
    It’s what I was leaning toward this afternoon, but hesitated going out on a limb. Now I’m thinking landfall South Carolina, leaning towards the S/N Carolina border region. Maybe even a major hurricane.

26. From http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/220859.shtml , right cased, you’re welcome:
    It now appears that irene will not interact with Hispaniola as much
    or as long as previously expected. This will also result in more
    strengthening than previously expected. Irene is forecast by all of
    the models to have a very impressive outflow pattern throughout the
    forecast period…including a large upper-level trough/low about
    1200 nmi east of the cyclone acting as a mass sink. With Irene also
    expected to be over SSTs near 30C after 48 hours…significant
    strengthening could occur. However…the official intensity will
    remain on the conservative side due to the uncertainty in how much
    Irene will interact with the mountainous terrain of Hispaniola for
    the next 24-36 hours. The official intensity forecast is a blend of
    the Ships/LGEM models and the HWRF/GFDL models. However…given the
    impressive upper-level flow pattern expected across Irene…it
    would not surprise me if this cyclone became a major hurricane at
    some time during its lifetime like the GFDL and HWRF models are
    forecasting.
    It is important not to focus on the exact forecast track…
    especially at days 4 to 5…since the most recent 5-year average
    errors at those forecast times are 200 and 250 miles…
    respectively.
    Forecaster Stewart
    Ryan – what the heck is a mass sink? Something that helps clear out the hurricane’s outflow?
    Tropical storms move a huge amount of air upward, which then has to be cleared lest it blocks additional convection. The most impressive storm move under and feed a upper level high which helps blow out the convected air. Look for cirrus outflow spreading out from IR movie loops of big hurricanes.

27. I sweated every moment of Irene’s development up to the point of its landfall 20 miles to the southwest of my boat. It came into Puerto Rico in Humacao on the SouthEast coast and delivered strong Tropical Storm force winds to the southern side of Vieques near the town of Esperanza before reaching Puerto Rico. As it interacted with the big island, it managed to knock out electrical power to over 800 thousand people last night. They will all be suffering from the warnth this morning due to lack of power. San Juan’s radar is still off line due to that electrical outage as I type this. The system looks to still be beating against the Northern coast near the heavily populated end of the island. Pray for those folks, they are the first to suffer from Irene but probably won’t be the last. Good Luck to those down stream. Its track is likely to creep further to the right than to the left. People on the coast up to Cape Fear need to be prepared for devasdation as it may come their way.

28. Looks like my fear (and that of the Joes much earlier than anyone else) of Irene moving north of the spine of Hispaniola may be coming to pass. That would mean that there’s a strong likelihood she’ll be a strong Cat 2 as a bare minimum by the time the latitude of Miami is reached. Once the possibilties of land interaction can be minimised and a light-shear environment is set, the GFDL and HWRF models tend to forecast most accurately the degree of strengthening, and tend to be more aggressive than the global weather models.
    Still too early to say when exactly she’ll break through the high-pressure ridge though. So, while the intensity can be said with some confidence to be damaging, the path is much less certain. She could even break north and recurve to miss the US coast entirely. Then again, I have noticed a tendency for some of the stronger TCs to resist recurvature for longer than forecast, putting them further west.
    It’s the uncertainty that’s hard to deal with for those potentially in the path. Good luck to those in that part of the world.

29. Turned on my weatherbell radar this AM to get an idea how early the local showers would move out. The map is a close-up of my area, in southern New Hampshire. I noted two odd lines across the map from southwest to northeast, one pink one just to the west of my town, and one blue one just to the east. Curious, I zoomed back to see what they might be attached to. Abruptly I understood they were two different model’s forcast tracks for Irene.
    Got my attention.

30. I seem to recall reading a piece by Joe Bastardi regarding the hurricane of 1938 and how this season, things would build up in such a way as to be possibly conducive to a similar event. The path of Irene seems close and, though I’m not an expert on these things, it looks like there might be a blocking high in the mid Atlantic. If this comes to pass, this will be very bad for the north east of the US. We shouldn’t be poo pooing the forecast. We should be pointing out that this storm or one similar this year, has the potential to be as bad as a similar storm that occured in 1938. That is:
    Something very bad might happen because of the weather.
    As predicted by the climate skeptics.
    Ahead of NASA et.al.
    That’s no B.S.
    Cheers.
    JE

31. @savethesharks
    Right, that’s the E Coast sorted. Now, if Saint Andreas would just co-operate, we can sort the W Coast (floats off into the Pacific). Now, we’re left with the sensible people. Americans.

32. For the last 20 hours I’ve been conducting a small personal experiment in the power of positive mental intention on this storm. I go into a meditative state and beam the thought “Irene go due North and disintegrate” I’m posting this not because I hope to find many who share any sense of mystical power here, but to have an independent monitor of any success I might achieve. If you are so inclined feel free to join in, but from the comments I suspect I’ll be fighting mental headwinds from the Texicans.

33. So, after 8 named depressions/storms since the Hurricane season officially began on June 1, while watching the Accumulated World Cyclone Energy at a 40 year low, we get our first hurricane of 2011.
    The warmistas of the Church of Global Warming can finally breath a sigh of relief.

Comments are closed.