Off the rails – Godzilla and climate

I had thought to myself a couple of days ago that something like this might happen, but then I dismissed it as too #^&^#*@! stupid for anyone to even attempt.

Boy, was I wrong. I should have listened to the lessons learned from Sharknado!

Get a load of this, you won’t believe it. My brain still hurts.

Godzilla_climate_change

Interview with the director:

Your version of Godzilla seems to be more rooted in current events, and centers on mankind’s tenuous relationship with nature, and the environment.

Yeah. Man vs. Nature is the predominant theme of the film, and I always tried to go back to that imagery. At the beginning when they find the fossils, it was important to me that they didn’t just find them—it was caused by our abuse of the planet. We deserved it, in a way. So there’s this rainforest with a big scar in the landscape with this quarry, slave labor, and a Western company. You have to ask yourself, “What does Godzilla represent?” The thing we kept coming up with is that he’s a force of nature, and if nature had a mascot, it would be Godzilla. So what do the other creatures represent? They represent man’s abuse of nature, and the idea is that Godzilla is coming to restore balance to something mankind has disrupted.

Source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/14/director-gareth-evans-says-godzilla-is-a-god-protecting-mankind-against-climate-change.html

Yeah, natural balance, like stomping cities to pieces much like a Cat5 hurricane.

godzilla-2014-movie-hd-wallpaper-for-desktop-tablet-or-iphone-godzilla-plot-details-revealed-world-premiere-review-mild-spoilers[1]

About these ads
This entry was posted in Ridiculae. Bookmark the permalink.

124 Responses to Off the rails – Godzilla and climate

1. milodonharlani says:

MUTO: Mann Under Testifying Oath?

Will have to wait a long time for that monster to emerge from the slimy depths.

2. Mark Bofill says:

it was caused by our abuse of the planet. We deserved it, in a way.

No, these guys don’t hate civilization and humanity, why do you ask?

/sarc

3. Resourceguy says:

And if PT Barnum were alive today, he would have a climate change act under the big top. The show must go on—-to make a buck.

4. lenbilen says:

Godzilla, the real life mascot of climate alarm-ism. What a fitting character! And about as real!

5. Skiphil says:

Mann vs. Nature

6. JimS says:

And wasn’t it PT Barnum who said there was a sucker born every minute?

7. Anthony Watts says:

Skiphil +10

8. crosspatch says:

Ok, it is seriously time to give these people some rank and file cultural pushback. They are using the draw of “Godzilla” to bring in kids for a “global warming” indoctrination. No. My kids will never see this movie and that is a shame but the real shame is on the idiots producing it.

9. kenw says:

all of the early japanese monster et al flics were thinly veiled slams at the US nuclear bomb usage, both during and after WW2. Pre-greenie stuff really.

You bad American, see what you did?

10. Janice Moore says:

Average Climastrologist: Well, yeah, like doesn’t everybody believe that? I put this little bobblehead god on my dash. Never had an accident since. The correlation is undeniable.

After, therefore, because of! #(:))

11. agimarc says:

If you haven’t seen the original 1954 Gojira in Japanese, you should. The original was a very dark, very bleak, movie with a little hidden anti-nuke message. Transworld imported it in 1956, spliced in scenes with Raymond Burr and re-released it as Godzilla. Later versions had the actor in the rubber suit fighting other actors in their rubber suits with decreasing levels of seriousness. As I remember, at least one was an anti-pollution flick.

Appears the Big Guy has been social messages for over 60 years. Sadly, this is nothing new. Cheers -

12. Ron McCarley says:

I’ll just say that he’s a little confused, and 60+ years too late. It’s been done already – the original “The Day the Earth Stood Still” with Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal. And Gort was a lot shorter.

13. Robert W Turner says:

So to sum it up this yuppy flew himself and crew, as well as film equipment and material, in private jets from California to Vancouver and then to Hawaii so that he could make $millions on a piece of entertainment that symbolizes how we are destroying the planet and he’s a hero for it but industry providing the energy to partake in such frivolous activities is evil. Glad to see they are consistent in their illogic.

14. Frank K. says:

Again, let me reiterate the importance of just turning these people OFF. Don’t buy their “products”. Don’t link to their websites. Tell everyone you know how much you despise them and their politicization of the weather/climate. And especially, let us hold the climate fear mongers in science, politics, and the media accountable for their flat out lying to people about the climate.

15. Steve says:

I bet no one would be worrying about a potential 2 foot rise in sea level over the next 100 years when Godzilla is destroying cities like a nuclear weapon. So, my Godzilla would represent “perspective”. You think sea level rise threatens your survival? Well put on your high water boots and start running, because I’m gonna give you a REAL threat to your survival!

16. NikFromNYC says:

Ironically, as kenw points out, the Godzilla movies beginning in the 1950s were warnings about Mankind playing around with nuclear devices such as low emissions atomic power. Then again, liberals managed to turn their original Klanbake and Jim Crow policies into a myth about conservative racism too.

17. Steamboat McGoo says:

I usually wait to buy these types of flicks on DVD – on sale. Now that I know the tone of the flick I won’t bother at all.
    The director should have kept his mouth shut.

18. John McClure says:

Well he just blew a chance at any Oscars. Even Hollywood isn’t this stupid!

Note: sorry if I’m commenting to much. I’m packing for a coast to coast move and have been taking [breaks] with WUWT for amusement. I hate moving!

19. Gunga Din says:

======================================================================
    An imaginary creature avenging an imaginary wrong.

20. John McClure says:

last post error:
    have been taking beaks with WUWT for amusement
    s/b
    have been taking breaks with WUWT for amusement

[Be sure to carefully move your beaks lest they break through your packs ... Mod]

21. John McClure says:

So are the twins in the new version Gore and Kerry?

22. Gunga Din says:

‘Godzilla’ Director Gareth Edwards Says Godzilla Is a ‘God’ Protecting Mankind Against Climate Change

====================================================================

23. ossqss says:

Posted on said subject the other day.

Just wait for Mechagodzilla! Sarc/

24. rabbit says:

25. milodonharlani says:

Skiphil says:
    May 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Wielding a two foot-long hockey stick?

26. MattS says:

Janice Moore,

Are you sure that’s not a fertility goddess?

27. mjmsprt40 says:

Now, see, didn’t I say this a few days back? I told ya they were going to try to find a tie-in between CAGW and Godzilla. I got it partially wrong apparently, I figured they would say that warming awoke the monster and that’s why he’s sacking Tokyo (again). Now he’s trying to save the planet from warming? How does a giant lizard that shoots nuclear blasts every time he sneezes help cool the planet?

28. Tom Bakert says:

I couldn’t get past the first paragraph of the interview, but my takeaway is that anthropogenic climate disruption is as real as Godzilla. Trite comment for a serious geopolitical fraud, but I am sick and tired of this chicanery.

29. Jaakko Kateenkorva says:

The AGW policies themselves ravage civilization, but more like Lernaean Hydra than Godzilla.

30. John McClure says:

mjmsprt40 says:
    May 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm
    ======
    You’re thinking to hard. Pop some Corn and enjoy the side-show. Its bound to get better ; )

31. Jeff says:

“Skiphil says:
    May 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm
    Mann vs. Nature

How about a 3 ft. Godzilla as Mike Mann, ankle biting and knee capping everyone in sight”

Yep….all the while singing M4GW’s “Hide The Decline” … gosh, what an image….

32. DaveW says:

Given all the composition associated with Godzilla, perhaps Nature is disappointed that we haven’t been producing enough CO2? I hope he takes on some wind farms.

33. David L. Hagen says:

Ancient wisdom
    Remember the ancient wisdom taught to Job:

Can you pull in Leviathan with a fishhook
    or tie down its tongue with a rope?
    Can you put a cord through its nose
    or pierce its jaw with a hook? . . .
    Can you fill its hide with harpoons
    or its head with fishing spears?
    If you lay a hand on it,
    you will remember the struggle and never do it again!
    Any hope of subduing it is false;
    the mere sight of it is overpowering.
    No one is fierce enough to rouse it.
    Who then is able to stand against me?

Job 41 NIV

34. DJ says:

… Josh fodder for sure….
    Godzilla wielding hockey stick, laying waste to universities across the land… Earth saved only when AlGore swoops in with his coal powered jet chair…
    There’s bound to be some seed for Josh in this somewhere… :)

Kinda like the guys who came up with the idea (seriously) that Superman is really the story of Jesus. I do hope AlGore grabs this and runs with it. MannBearPig….

35. PaulH says:

Aw, nuts. Here I was hoping Godzilla would be a good old fashioned fun-time movie. Looks like I’ll be skipping this one.

36. kenw says:

what’s the footprint of Godzilla’s poo? The methane has to be off the chart….I bet he shoots flames at both ends…..

37. John McClure says:

David L. Hagen says:
    May 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm
    ======
    David and Goliath — WUWT belt buckles are available in the Museum Store.

38. John McClure says:

mfo says:
    May 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm
    ===
    10+ — thank you for the vid!

39. gbaikie says:

This is what religion of global warming spawns. Idiots and more idiots. Nothing more sentient than a monkey is given to the world by this dumb religion. It’s a large waste of time and resources of human beings. The religion of global warm only generates ignorance and violence.
    It creates small cranky child men like Mann and the brain dead like Al Gore. And makes women ugly.
    It’s a plague of stupid.

40. urederra says:

And the sequel would be Jesuszilla, the son of Godzilla.

41. Alec Rawls says:

It was Western Civilization (Christianity in particular) that ended slavery everywhere except for some holdouts in the Islamic world and the Far East. But yeah, they might as well pretend that Western companies are into slavery, if they’re already pitching the human-increments-to-CO2-are-killing-the-planet lie. In for a penny in for a pound.

42. Gary Hladik says:

agimarc says (May 14, 2014 at 1:20 pm): “Later versions had the actor in the rubber suit fighting other actors in their rubber suits with decreasing levels of seriousness. As I remember, at least one was an anti-pollution flick.”

“Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster”? 1971.

So now I’m guessing the new Godzilla movie will be a comedy, like this eco-flick:

43. LogosWrench says:

I can’t wait for a sequel. I’m picturing Daryl Hanna et al in silk and olive leaf crowns chanting to Gia and dancing around mothra to undo all of the unintended consequences from Gozilla. Should be fantastic.

44. John Whitman says:

There is a very deep theme to Japanese fiction and especially Japanese science fiction in the ~40 year period after the end of our war with Japan.

It is much much deeper than the nuclear bomb theme that several others mentioned by several commenters above. I would name it the dichotomy of the Chrysanthemum and the Sword. (not very related to the Ruth Benedictt book by that name).

What did the defeat at the hands of the USA deeply mean to the post war culture of Japan? I think it meant to post war Japan that human spirit and human community as a source of strength was overestimated by the pre-war and wartime culture of Japan. And I think post war Japan realized that pre-war and wartime Japan greatly underestimated the culture that can create all the scientific inventiveness and embracement of high technology (as the Japan saw the USA culture in the post war period).

So, in my view Godizalla was originally scientific / technological emphasis emerging over the old pre-war and wartime cultural emphasis.

When Hollywood got involved in Godzilla, it became a tongue in cheek parody and then pagan Gaia agitprop.

John

45. garymount says:

The funny thing is the quarry in the rainforest was for aggregate for the use in building windmills.
    :-)

46. TXRed says:

Awwww, and I was looking forward to the thing. Not “go to midnight opening” forward, but “see on opening weekend” interested.

47. CRS, DrPH says:

…So there’s this rainforest with a big scar in the landscape with this quarry, slave labor, and a Western company.

Yeah, probably Koch Industries. The stupid, it burns like Godzilla’s breath…..

48. Well.

This just went from being “Must See This Weekend!” to “Meh, I’ll get around to it.”

49. peter says:

Many people in the Entertainment industry are foolish outside their area of expertise. There are many actors who are downright idiots. But that does not mean they can’t do a good job playing a part, or making a movie.

Judge Godzilla on the takeaway by the actual audience and not what the director might be projecting into it. After all, it’s nothing new. Just about every monster movie ever made had a background theme that we are responsible for the monster. We either created him through mad science, pollution, nuclear power, or we went into his territory and poked him with a sharp stick.

50. george e. smith says:

Does this grandified gecko, fart out of his mouth, and ignite it, like the old Japanese one did ?

51. Pat Frank says:

That’s San Francisco he’s wrecking, with the Trans-America pyramid prominently in the foreground. And the top picture looks like he’s about to bite the Bay Bridge. SF might be the most eco-loving, left wing city in the US, maybe except for Berkeley. It’s like the army of the Inquisition attacking Vatican City.

52. Hot under the collar says:

The consensus of 98% of climate scientists and one peer reviewed Godzilla can’t be wrong!

53. A timely reminder that it’s important to push back. Not because the intent is to change peoples minds but as a warning to others that they are not guaranteed a free pass when they promote irrationalism.

54. Dave N says:

“Why do so many of the celebrity climate alarmist have Godzilla-sized carbon footprints?”

Now there’s a question the interviewer should have asked the director; and anyone else in the movie industry on the CAGW bandwagon.

55. Leonard Jones says:

I think the original English version with Raymond Burr also had an environmental angle, in
    that the monster was the product of nuclear testing. The trouble with these more modern
    future distopias is that none of them pass the scientific smell test. I was thinking of seeing
    this movie, mainly to see crowds of Japanese running through the streets looking over their
    shoulders in abject terror. Did it never dawn on anyone to take a turn down a side street?
    And was this before Perry Mason got his law degree?

There was a recent Internet hoax about a monstrous squid that washed up in Santa Monica.
    The story included a phony scientist who explained that it was a product of “Radioactive
    Gigantism.” I had to ask myself one question about this concept. Where were all the 10
    foot tall NBA players from Nagasaki and Hiroshima after the war? So, even the original
    Godzilla was based on a shaky scientific premise.

The trouble is with the more radical concepts like global warming causing the Earth to
    be flooded above Mt. Everest in Waterworld, or Silent Running starring Bruce Dern.
    We are not crapping in our lunch boxes! If we were, advances in medical sciences
    alone could not explain the fact that lifespans are getting longer, not shorter. As much
    as I wanted to bang that Hippy chick Melanie back in the 60’s, we were not putting our
    trees in a tree museum and we did not pave paradise and put up a parking lot.
    (Silent Running)

If I refused to watch a movie written, produced or starring liberal Dingbats, I would never
    see another movie in my life. I do however try to avoid the socially preachy or the
    scientifically illiterate. This is the difference between 2001 and 2010, as opposed to
    The Core, which was so bad that a Canadian science professor used it as an example
    of truly bad Sci-Fi.

56. Charles Nelson says:

Over the weekend my wife (bless her) brought home a video called Blood Glacier, in which a bunch of scientists researching climate change in the mountains find a red glacier inside which horrors lurk. I won’t spoil the ending for anyone because I didn’t watch it beyond the first five minutes!

57. Ralph Kramden says:

Could it be the movie is just poking fun at the alarmists. Climate change causes everything, droughts, floods, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, Godzilla.

58. Frodo says:

Great thread. I’m usually not that much into bathroom humor, but me likey the Godzilla poo posts.

USA College football (American football that is – the rest of the world is wrong) fans all know that Les Miles – former UM player, former Okie State U and current LSU coach – is the real Godzilla

59. steve says:

“We deserve it.” “Western companies and slave labor.” What boorish tripe.

Was going to see this flick to unwind, but these people wont be getting my money.

60. pat says:

may it enjoy a similar fate:

Nielsen Media Research: Monday’s Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals
    Years of Living Dangerously (8:00)* – Showtime
    0.134 million viewers, #47; 0.057 million adults 18-49 (0.04 rating), #47 http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2014/05/13/mondays-cable-ratings-and-broadcast-finals-voice-dancing-continue-their-reign-61511/cable_20140512/

good, clean money:

14 May: CNBC: Lawrence Delevingne: Ex Goldman risk chief: Stanford coal cut a ‘tipping point’
    Litterman’s warning on risks to energy companies from impending taxes was recently raised by another prominent hedge fund manager, Chris Hohn of The Children’s Investment Fund Management.
    “If you believe over time a carbon tax is coming—which I do—and if you believe in climate change, 80 percent of the reserves of energy companies can never be extracted. All these oil and gas companies and the coal companies will have stranded reserves, basically,” Hohn recently said in an Institutional Investor cover story on investing and climate change.
    Hohn has joined forces with hedge funders Jeremy Grantham of $117 billion GMO and Steve Mandel of $27 billion Lone Pine Capital in backing a new Showtime series on global warming, “Years of Living Dangerously.”

bad, dirty money:

13 May: Bradblog: Brad Friedman: BRAD BLOG’s Christie/Koch Bros. Scoop Picked Up For Showtime’s ‘Years of Living Dangerously’
    VIDEO: WATCH: ‘Governor Christie and the Kochtopus’…

61. George says:

He’s only a model. :)

62. Forgive me if someone else has already pointed this out, but as an avid consumer of bad monster movies from the ’50s & ’60s: Godzilla was originally a damned hippie anti-nuke prop. That is all.

63. philjourdan says:

So was Pacific Rim “Gods” revenge?

I guess I am not as smart as you as I would never think anyone could be that stupid. That is why I am constantly surprised.

64. Zeke says:

Leviathan is the progressive scientists’ god, no argument.

65. Oracle says:

What’s the next contrived scare campaign –
    UFO’s invading to save the planet from
    ‘Man Made Global Warming’?
    … It’s probably already in planning… lol.

These manipulators won’t be happy until we’re all in
    a UN-ruled global undemocratic communist/marxist police state,
    then the facade of it being about the environment will be dropped like a hot potato.

Beware the wolves pretending to be green if you wish to remain in a somewhat free & somewhat democratic society!

66. james says:

I love monster movies and will watch this one the warm mongers be dam.

67. Leonard Jones says:

Charles Nelson, the movie was probably on the level. The idiots on the left
    actually believe it! One day, I saw a trailer on a Blog for a movie called
    Run Bitch Run! It was so bad that I had to put it on my Netflix queue.
    it made Ben Hur look like Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes. It was truly
    the worst movie ever made! I laughed my ass off from beginning to end.
    (Warning: Mindless violence, rape scenes, T&A and the worst acting ever!)

Stark JohnsonsomethingGerman, Wrong era! While the original Godzilla
    probably was anti-nuclear propaganda, it was produced in the 50’s. The
    closest thing we had to Hippies were the Beatniks. Think Maynard G. Krebs
    and Dobie Gillis, not Jane Fonda or Abbie Hoffman.

The original Japanese language Godzilla was made a few years earlier. I love
    nuclear weapons. I was born in 1956 and had a hard enough time learning
    English. I had no desire to learn Japanese. Every year, I celebrate August 6,
    and August 9.

We saved millions of lives, and manage to contain the savage impulses of
    the most barbaric culture on the planet at the time. Today, we cannot even
    call Islamic terrorists terrorists!

68. james says:

The worst movie every made was the Happening

69. Oracle says:

One movie that I really would pay to see is the “Mann Made Global Warming ‘Scary Movie’ Edition”
    ie: a full-on send-up of AGW/CAGW using as many of these http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm as possible

70. ossqss says:

C’mon, yall need to lighten up a bit!

You can always turn down the sound (and substitute) on any Godzilla movie and still enjoy it thoroughly.

Not even CAGW can beat the “G”……….. ;-)

71. Tanya Aardman says:

I wouldn’t even pirate this film

72. William McClenney says:

OK, now I’m confused. Is Godzilla fission, fusion or fundamentalism? Just askin’…….

73. pat says:

btw BlackRock has plans for public monies:

13 May: CNBC: Lawrence Delevingne: BlackRock says green investing should be public
    BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager at $4.3 trillion, is urging investors with a social and environmental bent to go public. ..
    “Impact investing has historically been very associated with venture capital and private equity. If we’re thinking about the whole investor and they want to address climate change, then why should we ignore public equities, fixed income and alternatives?” asked Robert Morris, a member BlackRock’s strategic product management group, which helps the firm’s clients align their ethical goals with investments.
    Morris also encouraged clients to be public with those investments. “It’s important to make this visible, and activism is also critical for it to actually have an effect,” he added while speaking on Tuesday at the New York Society of Security Analysts’ Sustainable Investing conference in New York City…
    In fixed income, BlackRock has focused on so-called green bonds, which are issued by companies and international organizations and only back environmentally friendly projects. He called green bonds a “fascinating market” despite its now small size and often low returns.

74. Goldie says:

Godzilla is a threat to humanity…much the same way that runaway global warming is a threat to humanity. i.e. a large fictional monster that we use to scare our children with.

75. Pamela Gray says:

If anything, from the opening picture above, I would have to say that the thing that was destroying the planet was this overeating colossal lizard! Step away from the hog tough Lizzy!

76. They’re all essentially Jacobins, anyway.

77. Pamela Gray says:

“…his son Jesuszilla…” ROTFLMAO!!!!

78. harkin says:

Godzilla’s treatment of cities eerily similar to Obama’s treatment of the economy, the constitution and the rule of law.

79. Zeke says:

Godzilla loves you and has a wonderful sustainable plantation for you;

but first you have to get rid of all this nasty prosperity, agriculture, electricity, personal transportation, and you need to pay taxes to the global empire (“UN “).

80. policycritic says:

Since this film series was banned in the US, no one here really knows how it was that Godzilla was used by Abu Zubaydah to create stories of oooooh-scary Al Qaeda. [This came out in federal court documents the US media failed to report on (starting early 2001). I've noticed that even some commenters on this blog still believe in the Al Qaeda/Sharia stories. Well, welcome to the genesis: GODZILLA.] Watch from 40:30 minutes to 46:00.
    You could start 5 minutes before to get some context but you don’t need to. I suggest watching the whole thing. This particular copy is the clearest. You can only get it in bits and pieces on youtube.

@crosspatch. What you should show your kids is this film, then let them see how Gareth Edwards is going to use Godzilla for his ends. I showed this film to a bunch of 14-year-olds who were blown away, and loved it because besides being highly informative, it’s really entertaining. Kids love it when adults tell the truth.

81. davidmhoffer says:

urederra says:
    May 14, 2014 at 2:34 pm
    And the sequel would be Jesuszilla, the son of Godzilla.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>.

ROFLMAO.

I’ll tempt the mods and their snippers here. In the modern era a jet fighter would be used to finish off Jesuszilla. The pilot’s name would be Pontius.

82. andy says:

Would have to eat an awful lotta endangered whales for something to get that big

83. John Whitman says:

Göt·zilla·däm·mer·ung ·ung

The Twilight of The Götzillas.

OK, not as good (so bad its good) Jesuszilla.

John

84. wws says:

There’s always been a lot of speculation that, psychologically speaking, Godzilla IS the US, as filtered through the Japanese subconscious. Roughly put, It was how they dealt with getting their butts kicked so thoroughly; it wasn’t men that did it, it was a supernatural force that they couldn’t control, and couldn’t hope to defeat. (Therefore they weren’t to blame for losing)

think about it – a massive, undefeatable, seamingly immortal force, operating off motives they can’t hope to ever understand; that’s how they saw the US. And the whole battle started because they unthinkingly provoked it, not realizing what they were doing.

Sounds crazy, but think about what happens when the 3 headed dragon, Ghidorah shows up. (hmm, what nation would be represented by a dragon?) the only way the Japanese can fight off Ghidorah is to recruit Godzilla to help them, and they set the two monsters on each other, with poor, weak Japan cowering underneath the battling monsters feet.

Almost sounds geopolitical or something.

85. Bill Sticker says:

Being ‘saved’ from ‘Global Warming’ by Godzilla? Whole city blocks stomped into the ground? Thousands left dead or homeless? Massive infrastructure devastation? Radioactive halitosis?

Riiiiight. Suddenly 0.8 degree rise in temperature per century doesn’t sound so scary any more. Sell me some more sun tan lotion futures.

86. John Whitman says:

Then we have the Marx brothers of climate Godzillas.

The duplicitous Mannzilla, the ill-modeled Schmidtzilla, the con$piring Oreskeszilla and the wierd Hansenzilla.

Climate vaudeville. : )

John

87. Joel O'Bryan says:

The Godzilla experience is not complete without Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster Hedorah. Hedorah basically gets it energy from sitting on industrial stacks sucking in the smoke.

Probably the freakiest early-70’s Godzilla movie of the entire genre. Sort of where most Liberals AGW alarmists are today.

88. John Whitman says:

Remember.

When you’re up to your a$$ in alligators climate Gozillas, it’s easy to forget that the initial objective was to drain the swamp cesspool of CAGW.

N’est ce pas?

John

89. bushbunny says:

LOL When the first Godzilla came out years ago, my son an animal lover, said he felt sorry for her.
    ‘Horses for courses’ eh?

90. Jeff Alberts says:

Janice Moore says:
    May 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Kinda like praying for people. Confirmation Bias is an amazing thing.

91. Hoser says:

Janice Moore says:
    May 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Rushing to Disney World?

Road Trip!!!
    Driving directions to FL-528 W/FL-528 Toll W
    28.452414,-81.045322 (The road sign visible at 1:58)
    From Chico, CA
    1. Head northeast on E 5th St toward Wall St
    2. Take the 2nd right onto Flume St
    3. Turn left onto E 9th St
    4. Merge onto CA-99 S via the ramp to Sacramento/Paradise
    5. Slight right to stay on CA-99 S (signs for California 99 S/Yuba City)
    6. Merge onto I-5 S
    7. Take the exit toward Buttonwillow/McKittrick
    8. Turn left onto Wasco Way
    9. Take the 1st left onto 7th Standard Rd
    10. Take the ramp onto CA-99 S
    11. Slight right onto CA-58 E (signs for Stockdale Hwy/Mojave/Tehachapl)
    12. Take the exit on the left onto I-15 N toward Las Vegas/I-40
    32. Turn left onto Springhill Ave
    33. Turn right onto N Broad St
    34. Turn left onto Government St
    35. Turn right to merge onto I-10 E
    Entering Florida
    36. Take exit 296A to merge onto I-75 S toward Tampa
    37. Keep left to continue on Florida’s Turnpike, follow signs for Orlando/Turnpike S
    Partial toll road
    38. Take exit 254 for FL-528 toward US-17/US-92/US-441
    39. Keep right at the fork to continue toward FL-528 E
    40. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Florida 528 E/Orlando International Airport/Kennedy Space Center and merge onto FL-528 E
    Partial toll road
    41. Take exit 31 for Florida 520
    Toll road
    42. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for FL-520 W/Orlando
    Toll road
    43. Continue straight
    44. Turn left onto FL-520 W
    45. Take the 1st left
    46. Merge onto FL-528 W/FL-528 Toll W via the ramp to International Airport/I-4
    Toll road
    Destination will be on the right
    FL-528 W/FL-528 Toll W

I thought it would be amusing to see what Google recommended to get from here to there. I wasn’t disappointed.

92. pkatt says:

pffft I could have told you that from the trailer they show on TV.. “the planet has ways of healing itself” roar.. just the same way they screwed up The Day the Earth Stood Still. I won’t pay to see it.

93. bushbunny says:

Gee, I wouldn’t remember a tenth of those directionss. I lived in Cyprus where all the road signs are in Greek if there were any at all once you got out of the urban townships.
    A friend of mine following written instructions ended up turning up a dry river bed. Some of the roads were rough, but not that rough with big boulders in the way!

94. Truthseeker says:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

95. Truthseeker says:

George says:
    May 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm

He’s only a model. :)
    ————————————–
    Yes Godzilla is CGI – and just as real as the accuracy of the GCMs.

96. pwl says:

Restoring balance to the Earth by destroying humans? The sickness of the eco-tyrants continues to amaze. The immorality of destroying humans to restore balance to the Earth is horrific, it’s as if these eco-tyrants do not value human life at all. Worse yet their idea of the Earth being out of balance is utterly absurd. Earth will be just fine with us or without us, and will be here for billions of years after we have either ceased to be as a species or left for the stars.

97. Mac the Knife says:

A few years back, I participated in a bicycling weekend, exploring the wineries around Prosser and Zillah Washington with about 60 other folks on 2 wheelers. The adventure (‘Shoot the Pass’) started on midmorning Friday at the top of White Pass and led us east to Prosser for the night. Saturday was spent bicycling to various wineries in the hills around the Prosser area and sampling/buying their wares, with a ‘SAG wagon’ (‘Support And Gear’ wagon, a purple hearse driven by one of Seattle’s more fun loving rogues, now deceased) running the trap line of wineries to pick up purchases made by the groups of bicyclists pedaling about. Great fun….

Sunday took us over to the town of Zillah and the wineries spread around the hills in that area. As we came into the small town of Zillah, a thought occurred to me “I wonder… Is it possible? Could there be a ‘First Church of God – Zillah’ in his hamlet?” I spent the next the next half hour pedaling the village streets looking and hoping. As some parishioners were leaving the catholic church, I asked and was told “No. There is no First Church of God – Zillah here!”

Que lastima…..
    Mac

98. richardscourtney says:

Friends:

I write to ask a question.

A Hollywood film director made stupid statements in promotion of his latest film which has no relation to scientific, political and historical realities.

Except as an excuse for jokes, why does this most recent example of a common occurrence merit any discussion?

Richard

99. Bruce Cunningham says:

I’ll wait for the sequel, “Godzilla versus Manbearpig”. He may just meet his match there.
    !

I am on the edge of my seat wondering who will win.

100. prutt says:

and i thought Man-Bear-Pig was scary

101. hunter says:

Human civilization lived and thrived long before Hollywood. Hollywood as one of the strongest centers of pop culture is less than 100 years old.
    Civilization will be fine after Hollywood goes under from lack of interest in what they are selling.
    As much as I love SF and fantasy, I have no interest in preachy, derivative, poorly written remakes.
    G-g-g-good bye. Godzilla. Not gonna watch ya.

102. Dave says:

Godzilla is more real than Climate Change.

103. michael hart says:

I guess now we know where the missing heat went in the ocean: into Godzilla’s bedroom.

104. Tom O says:

“Frank K. says:
    May 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Most of all, for all of us U.S. citizens, remember in November. The left-wing, eco-progressives are literally destroying our country, and together we can stop them…”

Frank, unless you have access to the “code” in the touchscreen voting booths, you won’t change anything by voting in November. Just look at the exit polls versus the vote count over the last few presidential elections, and tell me that the machines “count actual votes.” The only way we could impact the government by voting is if this country would insist on paper ballots and fully monitored vote counting.

But instead of doing that, they will demand that they can use there tablets and smart phones to vote instead of going to their precinct so it doesn’t have to interfere with their texting. You know, just browse to “votingbooth.gov,” log in with your pin number, and open the ballot for your precinct and touch away as you cut back and forth between voting and texting to your bud or whoever, and fit both in around having sex, getting a tattoo, or yet another body part being pierced.

105. Frodo says:

Yes, this is somewhat off this very important topic of discussion, but I feel compelled to say that one of the very few crucial global entities not effected by CAGW is the Detroit Tigers. Currently at 24-12, 5.5 games in front on May 15 – the cold, wet weather caused as a result of CAGW in April and early May has not affected them in the least; and, with enlightened people like Mann, Gore, and others bravely forecasting increasing higher temps in the coming months as a result of CAGW, I foresee no ill effects for the Bengals for the rest of the regular season, despite the global warming to come. I would greatly prefer that, come the World Series, they play a National League team from America’s heartland – Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, perhaps – or some such, given that by late October entire coastal states like California and Florida will be under water – it will still not be late enough in the year for all that water to freeze, and the possibility of artificial turf placed over the ice mounds that will from over parks like the Dodger’s or Giant’s in the winter months as the flooding casued by CAGW subsequently freezes over. I want NO climate distractions on the Tiger’s rightful, divinely ordered path to the World Series championship.

And yeah – rest of the world – the World Series is only open to teams from ‘Murica, with one token hoser team in Toronto to make it worldwide– you’d never understand unless you were a true Murican.

[The baseball is colder, and thus hit further in Detroit. Mod]

106. Keithrt says:

What I find ludicrous is the idea that a single A-10 couldn’t chew a giant lizard into dogwood.

107. keithrt49 says:

What I find ludicrous is the idea that a single A-10 couldn’t chew a giant lizard into dog food.

108. harrie says:

“God”zilla forsooth. That name is nothing but a Western transliteration of the Japanese .

109. harrie says:

For some reason, the name “Gojira” disappeared from the above.

110. Ak90 says:

Okay, this is a little pointless. I’m a skeptic, but this is stupid. Its a fictitious movie about a giant god-lizard. I dont even think it would classify as science-fiction. Go see it have a good time. If you like me think AGW is a fantasy you should have no problems with it being used in a fantasy movie with giant monsters who breath fire and wreak havock. Again fake movie. Fake world. Fake problems. So I see no reason why you should not see it or worse stop your kids from seeing it.

111. Bruce Cobb says:

For those thinking that this is all just harmless sci-fi fun, think again. This is about propagating a powerful myth, that of CAGW/CC/?? which is being peddled as “science” by powerful forces. The sci-fi thrills are merely the conveyance.

112. DirkH says:

Director doesn’t talk about climate change, but a lot about evil radioactivity.
    Given the deaths per TWh, it’s time there were a whole string of blockbuster movies against hydropower.

found on

113. Bob Mount says:

Godzilla! Is that Michael Mann’s Love Child?

114. bob alou says:

Mac the Knife says:
    May 14, 2014 at 11:54 pm
    A few years back, I participated in a bicycling weekend, exploring the wineries around Prosser and Zillah Washington dot dot dot
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    The Times they are a changing!

with some pics here

115. DD More says:

Why does this remind me of the thoughts of Dougas Adams?

Resplendent in their black-jeweled battle shorts, they were meeting for the last time, and a dreadful silence filled the air as the Vl’hurg leader was challenging the G’Gugvuntt leader to retract the insult. At the precise moment, the phrase “I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle” (muttered by Arthur Dent to himself, which for some strange reason was carried by a freak wormhole in space back in time to the farthest regions of the universe where the G’Gugvuntts and the Vl’hurgs lived) filled the air over the conference table, which in the Vl’hurg tongue was the most dreadful insult imaginable. It left them no choice but to declare war on the G’Gugvuntts, which went on for a few thousand years and decimated their entire galaxy.

After millennia of battle the surviving G’Gugvuntt and Vl’hurg realised what had actually happened, and joined forces to attack the Milky Way in retaliation. They crossed vast reaches of space in a journey lasting thousands of years before reaching their target where they attacked the first planet they encountered, Earth. Due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was swallowed by a small dog. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy states that this sort of thing happens all the time.

In the same way this director is having difficulty with his lifestyle, sets up an an attack, but the size of the global warming problem is so small it is eaten by a little dog.

116. Follow the Money says:

Anthony, despite the headline, the interviewee clearly indicates the movie’s enviro concern is recent events in Japan, i.e. Fukushima. He does not say it is about climate, and politely distinguishes his movie of climate change.

117. steve says:

Unless that stupid message is directly discussed in the film, like Avaturd and it’s hideously preachy heavyhandedness, I’ll just let the director have his little fantasy about what he made while I sit there and watch cgi monsters fight and break things.

118. Leonard Jones says:

WWS, interesting theory. I understand a lot of Americans fell for the
    “Our boys cannot beat them, they are best jungle fighters in the
    world, they have a decade of combat experience, etc.” They were
    so convinced of their superiority, they lied to their people about
    Midway, which turned the tide of the war.

It was not the first time the Jar-heads slapped some sense into a
    belligerent nation. At some point, I would love to see the original
    Japanese version so long as it has English subtitles. It would probably
    be far closer to your theory than any remake.

119. Gary Pearse says:

Maybe not so stupid of the director. He’s banking on the stupidity of his audience and he has some ready made research in that The Inconvenient Truth was a moneymaker and got both an oscar and one of those Crackerjack^TM Nobel Prizes.

120. Pamela Gray says:

It appears the Japanese now think we are all watermelon lefties instead of horse-riding, cow-punching, gun-slinging westerners. I should go visit Japan one of these days, wearing my gun-powder stained suede leather skirt and old paisly shirt, complete with dirty old sh*t kickers and a stomped on black cowboy hat, and pluck off a few apple blossoms at 300 yards with my .22 long. Better yet, put that smarmy Japanese guy under yonder tree 300 yards that-a-way, with a cherry on his head. I’ll make him change his mind about climate fricken change.

[The mods will hold that image quite dearly ... 8<) Mod]

121. Jim Sweet says:

Oddly enough, the movie itself seems to be pushing the opposite message, i.e. we cannot control nature and should leave it alone.

122. Keith says:

Like a Cat6 hurricane, shorely? They’re all the rage these days.

123. crazyredemu says: