Wanderlust

A quick note for those interested in my ongoing adventures around the world. I’m currently in Gizo, in the Solomon Islands … why? Well, the answer is in my latest post on my blog, a post entitled “Feasting“. GE Gizo map

If you’d like lighter fare than the ongoing discussion of my latest Watts Up With That post on cold objects and hot objects, c’mon over, the water’s between hot and cold, pleasantly warm …

solos19

My best to all, and thanks as always to Anthony for this most amazing blog, to the moderators for their untiring free labor keeping order 24/7, and to all those who guest post, comment, or just read and lurk. Together, we have made Watts Up With That a rather unique spot in the blogosphere, where scientific ideas are put out in the public square and freely debated. Science at its finest.

Onwards, ever onwards,

w.

0 0 vote
Tom Halla
November 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Have fun, Willis, fooling around on boats.

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
November 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Willis,
We know what you are really up to….A new secret surfing spot, unnamed and uncrowded…With good fishing, cheap beer, and pretty women…
Once a Surfer, always a Surfer…Enjoy and send pics…Maxx

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
November 30, 2017 8:12 pm

I was thinking about P-Pass, that was getting quite a bit of buzz in the last 10 years, Ponopei, specifically.
Have no idea, where in the chain it is, but,as an old Surfer, the coconut wireless still rings…

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
December 2, 2017 8:43 am

Thank you.
Always thought it is was in the Solomons I let my Nat’l Geo subscription lapse at a time of the threat of a Great Ice Age, in the 70’s.
I will study the link a bit..Sounds fascinating..Aloha, Maxx

Santa Baby
Reply to  Tom Halla
November 30, 2017 1:56 am

Water in general means food and survival. It’s opium for the survival instinct?

Earthling2
November 29, 2017 9:10 pm

“We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch, we are going back from whence we came.” JFK

A pleasant journey to you and yours, Willis.

AndSim
Reply to  Earthling2
November 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Earthling2, I don’t know whether it was intentional, but JFK’s torpedo boat was rammed and sunk near an island very close to Gizo. JFK and some of his crew swam to the island and PT109 is still there.

I was in Gizo last year. Great place, wonderful people. The fishing and diving is exceptional.

AndSim
Reply to  AndSim
November 29, 2017 10:14 pm

“Egads! Nobody comes to Gizo, what brought you here?”

Wanderlust!

My wife an I were there based on a recommendation from a friend. We’ll be back, eventhough the airport landing is interesting!

(I hope Gizo remains our little secret!)

Reply to  AndSim
November 30, 2017 5:50 pm

“Willis Eschenbach November 29, 2017 at 9:49 pm”

“AndSim November 29, 2017 at 10:14 pm”

Now, that truly proves what a small world it is!

And the broad global reach of WUWT!

November 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Enjoy Willis – I just returned from Thailand – 30C – 26 hours flying, 4 stops, 14 time zones, still cannot get sorted on sleep. Working on it.

Best, Allan

November 29, 2017 9:24 pm

While you’re in the area, look for Amelia Earhart.

LdB
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
November 29, 2017 10:07 pm

She was abducted by aliens I saw it on a star trek episode

So I don’t think your going to see her.

Vicus
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
December 1, 2017 5:48 pm

Ha, she just needed Google Maps

RACookPE1978
Editor
Reply to  Joz Jonlin
November 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Many thousands of miles away! The Pacific is BIG!
Guadalcanal to Wake Island = 3,300 km.
Wake Island to Howland Island = 2,700 km.
Heck, Spain to Moscow is only 4,100 km.

(Like saying, “While you’re in Florida, drive up past Chicago Denver …)

Joel O'Bryan
November 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Ah, the Slot. Henderson Field (now Honiara International Airport). Pappy Boyington, Corsairs over Bougainville. Rabaul.
Guadalcanal was huge turning point to stop the Japanese from attacking Australia.

Visiting sunken ships?
Did you visit the Guadalcanal American Memorial?comment image

Steve Fraser
November 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Better than Fiji this year, I think.

Gary Hagland
November 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Spent 7 days on Gizo in Aug 1989. Kind of the end of the world, but friendly people and diving was phenomenal. Went with an operation run by Danny and Kerrie Kennedy. He was an American and she was from Australia. Don’t suppose they’re still around. Question: When flying there, do you still land on an incredibly small island and then take a canoe over to Gizo?

USexpat
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
December 2, 2017 5:39 am

I just landed in Phnom Phen seeking a different place. Going to the coast tomorrow hoping for clear water. How are the Solomon’s
for that?

Brian Churchward
November 29, 2017 11:51 pm

G’day Willis, I lived in Solomon Islands for eleven years, returning to Australia in early 1985. Absolute paradise, with the friendliest of people. Back then there was a beautiful reef near the end of the jetty on Nusatupe. Is that still there?

D B H
November 30, 2017 12:30 am

Take this the way it is meant – I HATE YOU!!

Well, actually, I hate not doing what you are doing!!!!!

P.S…. thats kind of a compliment to you…I’m a Kiwi afterall – just to clarify things.

D B H
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
November 30, 2017 1:35 am

🙂
Just making it worse……sigh!!

Harry Passfield
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
November 30, 2017 4:49 am

Willis: I am often drawn to something that was ascribed to Goethe, but which I understand is really William Murray: “Begin It Now’

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back — concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.“

Louis Hooffstetter
Reply to  D B H
November 30, 2017 5:49 am

Yep, Willis is living the dream. Many of us wish we had the courage to do the same!

Vicus
Reply to  Louis Hooffstetter
December 1, 2017 5:52 pm

There’s economics involved too. I would have to sell everything I have, cut off all monetary accounts, hike to Cali, and hope my Castaway raft makes it. After 6 months I’ll be there 😉

D B H
November 30, 2017 12:32 am

Sorry for the non Kiwi people out there – but its our way of saying…I’m jealous

Griff
November 30, 2017 12:45 am

minus 1C in London, with a bitter chill blowing down the alleyways…

Please sent care package of tropical warmth…

Robertvd
November 30, 2017 2:29 am

And the water is warmer than normal. Must be a lot of coral bleaching going on.

Moderately Cross of East Anglia
November 30, 2017 2:54 am

I do hope you are keeping a log or diary of your voyages with a view to publishing one day. Reading accounts of voyages and travels by informed travellers is one of the most enjoyable pleasures of life and a responsibility of those fortunate enough to do such things. All best wishes.
Moderately
PS that deep ocean basin immediately to the West between you and Papua New Guinea looks intriguing.

Mary Catherine Sears
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
December 1, 2017 8:59 am

Willis–you are one of my favorite people, despite my never having met you.

Jim O.
November 30, 2017 3:03 am

……Wild heart, child heart, all of the world your home.
Glad heart, mad heart, what can you do but roam?
Oh, I’ll beat it once more in the morning, boys,
With a pinch of tea and a crust;
For you cannot deny
When you hark to the cry
Of the wanderlust ……

The Wanderlust -Robt. Service

john
November 30, 2017 4:07 am

Willis, you indeed have been blessed on many fronts. I’ve enjoyed reading about the many adventures around the world to places many of us will never see except through your eyes. Thank you for sharing these with us!

I have 2 questions:

What was your favorite place?

Is there a place you’ve never been that you would like to visit?

F. Leghorn
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
November 30, 2017 9:03 am

Glad you mentioned Alaska. I thought “Finally! Somewhere I have lived!” Spent two years in Kodiak (and traveled all over). There’s nothing like waking up to incredible beauty. At least I’ve been somewhere cool, long ago that it was.

Hasbeen
November 30, 2017 7:52 am

I sailed into Gizo in 1976. I had been caught in the middle of the Solomon sea on the edge of a cyclone that had no right to be that far north, particularly in April. With no satnav available for a price yachties could afford in those days, I had been drifting around for 3 days, waiting for some sun to find out where the hell I was.

At over 7000 Ft high, with no reefs very far off shore, the western side of the Solomons was the safest thing to approach blind. I found the British Solomon Island Protectorate sign on the warehouse on the jetty, in very faded paint rather amusing. They had been self-governing for many years, but had not bothered to paint out the sign. The sun finally came out, just as I dropped anchor.

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
December 1, 2017 1:25 am

I seem to remember it was the BSIP (British Solomon Islands Protectorate) in 1973 when I was on the Weather Coast of Guadalcanal. What a wild palce that was and sadly to later become a violent one. Great diving on the Honiara side though…did you ever come across an old diving mate of mine, Reg Thomas on Tulagi? He may still be there…very competent diver but a bit gung ho with the dynamite when removing propellors from WWII remains!

Yes, landing at Gizo was always like landing on an aircraft carrier; albeit a nicely moored one. Hard to believe that even Gizo has internet these days…how times change. No more SSB I guess.

If you get a chance and have the time please post some more lovely shots of the daily emergent phenomena so common in those parts.

When you do decide to knock NZ off your bucket list you’d be more than welcome to spend a few nights gratis here at Stargazers B&B and Astronomy Tours (www.stargazersbb.com). Anthony almost made it this year!

F. Leghorn
November 30, 2017 8:51 am

Science at its finest.

But do 97% of scientists agree with that?

Jk. This is my favorite hard science website.

South River Independent
November 30, 2017 9:11 am

Mr. Eschenbach, thank you for these periodic posts that allow us to vicariously participate in your adventures. I have many fond memories of the many days I spent at sea as a Navy Surface Warfare Officer. My experience was gained in the North Atlantic, South Atlantic, Mediterranean, Black Sea, and Caribbean. I am a Bluenose and a Shellback.

I also remember some advice I picked up along the way. If ever you start thinking about going back to sea, just tie two bricks together (to simulate binoculars), hang them around your neck, and stand out on your front porch in a cold, driving rain from midnight until 0400 (the midwatch). The only thing that is difficult to simulate are the moments of sheer terror you experience when a merchant ship on auto pilot puts you into extremis by waiting too long to alter course and speed when they are the burdened vessel.

Thanks again. I will have to spend more time on your site.

katio1505
November 30, 2017 12:10 pm

My best memory of Gizo was attending Mass one Sunday. The congregation seemed to be split into 2 groups – on each side of the aisle – and they took turns in singing the hymns. It was quite competitive, but
totally enthralling as the group harmonized at perhaps 4 levels. And all without musical accompaniment.

T. Fry
November 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Have fun on your adventures, and thanks so much for taking the WUWT helm over the summer while Anthony was on vacation!

stricq
December 1, 2017 2:12 pm

Wasn’t there just a big earthquake out there?

December 3, 2017 12:39 pm