Yesterday, the International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI) published a post about a number of mistaken beliefs about El Niño and La Niña events.
- El Niño periods cause more disasters than normal periods.
- El Niño and La Niña significantly affect climate in most regions of the globe.
- Regions affected by El Niño and La Niña see impacts for the entire 8-12 months that the climate conditions last.
- El Niño episodes lead to adverse impacts only.
- We should worry more during El Niño episodes than La Niña episodes.
- The stronger the El Niño/La Niña, the stronger the impacts, and vice versa.
- El Niño and La Niña events are directly responsible for specific storms or other weather events.
- El Niño and La Niña are closely related to global warming.
See the IRI post Eight Misconceptions About El Niño (and La Niña).
# # #
Yesterday I posted the Preliminary June 2014 Sea Surface Temperature Update.