Energy Department Refuses President-Elect Trump Request for Information

US Department of Energy
US Department of Energy

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

According to Scientific American, The US Department of Energy has refused a request from President-elect Trump’s Energy Department Transition Team for information about what their people do on their work time.

Energy Department Refuses Trump’s Request for Names on Climate Change

Trump’s transition team asked for the names of people who have worked on climate change and the professional society memberships of lab workers.

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. Energy Department said on Tuesday it will not comply with a request from President-elect Donald Trump’s Energy Department transition team for the names of people who have worked on climate change and the professional society memberships of lab workers.

The response from the Energy Department could signal a rocky transition for the president-elect’s energy team and potential friction between the new leadership and the staffers who remain in place.

The memo sent to the Energy Department on Tuesday and reviewed by Reuters last week contains 74 questions including a request for a list of all department employees and contractors who attended the annual global climate talks hosted by the United Nations within the last five years.

Energy Department spokesman Eben Burnham-Snyder said Tuesday the department will not comply.

“Our career workforce, including our contractors and employees at our labs, comprise the backbone of (the Energy Department) and the important work our department does to benefit the American people,” Burnham-Snyder said.

“We are going to respect the professional and scientific integrity and independence of our employees at our labs and across our department,” he added. “We will be forthcoming with all publicly available information with the transition team. We will not be providing any individual names to the transition team.”

He added that the request “left many in our workforce unsettled.”

Read more: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/energy-department-refuses-trumps-request-for-names-on-climate-change/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_ENGYSUS_NEWS

In my opinion this outrageous response is the very epitome of a government department which is out of control. Refusing to provide information to the new administration about what staff do with their work time, to me suggests the US Department of Energy believes they are a law unto themselves – they think they are above politicians and political cycles, and intend to continue wasting money on climate programmes, regardless of what the new Trump administration wants.

I say defund the lot of them. The few important roles they perform, such as overseeing the handling of nuclear material and nuclear waste, can be transferred to other departments.

Get notified when a new post is published.
Subscribe today!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
424 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
jvcstone
December 14, 2016 4:35 pm

MSM says Request has been retracted.
as usual, CNN has an article full of “fake news” including the so many times debunked 97% consensus quote

Chimp
December 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Trump’s nominee to run the Energy Dept, former TX governor Perry, has called for getting rid of the Energy Dept. He might be president today if he could have remembered during a 2012 debate all three of the depts. of which he wanted to get rid.

December 14, 2016 6:38 pm

From ABC NEWS Dec 14 13:03 EST

Donald Trump’s transition team is backing away from a controversial questionnaire sent to the Department of Energy demanding names of employees who assisted in the Obama administration’s climate policy efforts.
…. (More)

Hope this is “Fake News”. The questions were valid. It should be public record who was paid by taxpayers to go to UN meetings.

markl
Reply to  Stephen Rasey
December 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Doesn’t make any difference who paid for it. If they are asked to attend because of their association with their job/employer they are in violation of their contract by not divulging.

Janice Moore
Reply to  Stephen Rasey
December 14, 2016 7:53 pm

The questions were valid and important, Mr. Rasey.
That Trump is wimping out on this (and it appears unfortunately not to be phony news) is out of character and, reveals, a great need for him to get up to speed on the issue of human CO2 emissions.
The currently politically motivated scientists-for-hire at DOE (and other agencies) are twisting this bit of appeasement to use it as pro-AGW/enviroprofiteer propaganda. That is, while the CURRENT state of affairs is that the Obama-administration scientists-for-hire are NOT using science to guide policy, they falsely accuse of being politically motivated those who DO want science to determine policy.
Trump: Come on. Backing off on this one was UNWISE and WRONG.
Whoever wrote the questionnaire is to be applauded. Good — for — you. That Trump didn’t back you up says nothing about you and a lot about him. VERY GLAD Trump was elected. Just disgusted at this particular cowardly move.
I am hopeful, nevertheless! Cowardice such as this is born of ignorance. Trump is a quick learner. All will be well.

markl
Reply to  Janice Moore
December 14, 2016 8:06 pm

“I’ll keep an open mind” = I’ve made up my mind, move on to something the people care more about. Learn Trump talk. His picks for climate cabinet warriors tell more about his true intents. Don’t fall into the trap being set by the MSM that he will be ineffective before he’s even spelled out his road map. The good part is he doesn’t have to please anyone but his constituents.

ralfellis
Reply to  Stephen Rasey
December 15, 2016 11:26 am

Trump is not president yet, he has to tread lightly for snother four weeks or so.
R

David B Joyce
December 14, 2016 8:09 pm

End it. Somehow we got along without a DoE until late 1977. As a former postdoc at DOE labs I could go on forever about the ills and damage that the system does to science, sucking in talented people, turning them into mindless zombies, and wasting vast resources while pooping out a miniscule amount of decent research. They exist to give the bureaucracy around them a raison d’etre. It has no mission other than to stare at the waste problems of the past and not solve them. Seriously, it needs to die.

Sean
December 15, 2016 11:35 am

For those who can not be fired, I see a new long term re-assignment, as of January, at the to-be formed Antarctic Candle powered heating research camp.

Sean
December 15, 2016 11:49 am

Karl, a troll above, sounds like a trouble maker. Whatever federal agency he works for should be figured out so he can be fired first.

JohninRedding
December 15, 2016 6:26 pm

DOE and DOEd are two departments that need to disappear. Clean up the mess and shut them down.

Zeke
December 15, 2016 11:26 pm

“…contains 74 questions including a request for a list of all department employees and contractors who attended the annual global climate talks hosted by the United Nations within the last five years.”

The same United Nations that wants to collect $100 bn per year, for the Green Climate Fund? The same United Nations whose Climate Fund the President-elect has said we will not contribute to?
If anyone in the Dept of Energy or any other federal agency has been communicating and meeting with the UN and other foreign powers while the 100 bn/yr fund is being established, this is a legitimate concern for all of us.***
***ref

In its fiscal 2014 State and Foreign Operations budget proposal released in April, the Obama administration asked for $1.57 billion for contributions to international organizations, including $617.6 million for the U.N. operating budget — up from $568.8 million in fiscal 2012.
But other agencies giving to the U.N. include the Departments of Labor, Energy, Agriculture, Defense, and Health and Human Services, CNS News reported.
Fiscal 2007 legislation stipulated that the Office of Budget and Management (OMB) report all federal agencies’ contributions, but the requirement expired in 2011.

Newsmax “America’s Real Contribution to U.N. Is Unknown” 2013

Leonard Tachner
December 18, 2016 3:30 pm

Energy Department personnel who are climate change activists should be alarmed. You are going to be fired! You are a complete waste of time and money and an unnecessary drag on the federal budget. Your function is useless and completely unnecessary. Mr. Trump and Mr. Perry both believe that you have politicized climate science and corrupted the AGW issue. It’s time for you to be held accountable for abusing your office and public trust. Perhaps you should begin to search for another job such as working for the UN’s IPCC or other nonsensical climate agency where you can steal public funds from someone else. Perhaps a position with some private university would be available where you could get away with blatant propaganda for some longer period of time. In any case, you had better prepare yourself, your time remaining where you can drain funds from the U.S. taxpayers is almost over.

Johann Wundersamer
December 20, 2016 2:20 am

“Energy Department Refuses Trump’s Request for Names on Climate Change” .

Energy Department spokesman Eben Burnham-Snyder said Tuesday the department will not comply.
“Our career workforce, including our contractors and employees at our labs, comprise the backbone of (the Energy Department) and the important work our department does. ”
Civil disobedience from a states Department –
who’do thought of that.

Johann Wundersamer
December 20, 2016 2:22 am

“Energy Department Refuses Trump’s Request for Names on Climate Change” .
”Energy Department spokesman Eben Burnham-Snyder said Tuesday the department will not comply.”
“Our career workforce, including our contractors and employees at our labs, comprise the backbone of (the Energy Department) and the important work our department does. ”
Civil disobedience from a states Department –
who’d thought of that.

1 3 4 5