Guest Post by Bob Tisdale
I always enjoy the headlines of climate alarmist news stories.
This one caught my eye this week. Of course the headline included the infamous weasel words: COULD BE.
At BusinessInsider.com: 4.2 million Americans could be displaced by rising sea levels this century — see if your county is at risk. The linked webpage includes a fancy-schmancy video to show in which counties those displacements might take place, with a bar graph to show which oceanfront states might be impacted most or least.
What did I see?
Less than 1% of Forecast U.S. Population by 2100 Might Be, Or Might Not Be, Displaced by Projected Sea Level Rise of 3 Feet That Might, Or Might Not, Happen. The Other 99% of U.S. Residents Couldn’t Give a Rat’s… Some Optimistically Looking Forward to Their Inland Properties Becoming Oceanfront.
That figure of 4.2 million, of course, was for the low-end could-be scenario. If we look at the might-maybe-could-happen high end of 1.8 meters (6 feet) from the study, the could-be displacement more than triples. Curiously, the headline Up to 13M Americans at risk from sea level rise – study ran for a story at the Governors’ Wind & Solar Energy Coalition website…as if solar panels and wind turbines are going to stop sea level rise. Maybe the Governors are thinking of dismantling them and using them as landfill for dykes.
The study referenced was Hauer et al. (2016) Millions projected to be at risk from sea-level rise in the continental United States.
PS: Maybe the Governors would be interested in a realistic look at anthropogenic global warming and climate change presented in my free ebook On Global Warming and the Illusion of Control – Part 1 (700+ page, 25MB .pdf). If not, maybe the voters of those up for reelection might.