Follow up: the bogus 'North Pole becomes a lake' story

Remember this Associated Press before and after image that purportedly showed the North Pole turning into a lake due to “global warming”?

North Pole Lake

This was the day Brad Johnson of “Forecast the Facts” (a political group affiliated with the Center for American Progress and paid to harass TV weathercasters and meteorologists who don’t share their melting world view) made himself look like the complete idiot we know him to be. Observe the propaganda they sent around:

FTF_arctic_lake

Note that WUWT published on why this imagery has no scientific merit, and the principal scientist issued a statement saying that it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary.

Even AP saw they’d screwed up and issued a retraction:

Title : ELIMINATION North Pole Lake

Caption : EDITORS, PHOTO EDITORS, AND PHOTO LIBRARIANS – PLEASE ELIMINATE AP PHOTO NY109 THAT WAS SENT ON SATURDAY, JULY 27, 2013. THE CAPTION INACCURATELY STATED THAT ‘THE SHALLOW MELTWATER LAKE IS OCCURRING DUE TO AN UNUSUALLY WARM PERIOD.’ IN FACT, THE WATER ACCUMULATES IN THIS WAY EVERY SUMMER. IN ADDITION, THE IMAGES DO NOT NECESSARILY SHOW CONDITIONS AT THE NORTH POLE, BECAUSE THE WEATHER BUOY CARRYING THE CAMERA USED BY THE NORTH POLE ENVIRONMENTAL OBSERVATORY HAS DRIFTED HUNDREDS OF MILES FROM ITS ORIGINAL POSITION, WHICH WAS A FEW DOZEN MILES FROM THE POLE- This frame grab provided by NOAA shows images from the wide-angle camera trained on a weather buoy maintained by the North Pole Environmental Observatory at the North Pole. The top image is a June 7, 2013 frame grab. The bottom image is a July 25, 2013 frame grab. (AP Photo/NOAA)

Source: http://foto.agerpres.ro/index.php?i=7147048

Will Brad Johnson and “Forecast the Facts” issue a retraction? Doubtful, because to do so would highlight their own stupidity disguised as paid agenda.

Latimer Alder

So it wasn’t unusual, it wasn’t ‘global warming’ and it wasn’t at the North Pole.
But apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

mwhite

‘THE SHALLOW MELTWATER LAKE IS OCCURRING DUE TO AN UNUSUALLY WARM PERIOD.’
I’ll stick my neck out and say this year will be the coldest melt season in the DMI record.(The coldest summer ever, ha ha)

It doesn’t matter the damage is done, few people read retractions.

O/T but Chris Huhne has landed a £100K job with a biomass company, that stands top make millions from his renewable policies.

Katherine

THE IMAGES DO NOT NECESSARILY SHOW CONDITIONS AT THE NORTH POLE
What do they mean “does not necessarily show”? It does not. Period. Full stop. The picture was taken hundreds of miles from the North Pole.

Patrick

What I have read, from non reputable sources I must admit, is that the device that took the picture of the “north pole lake” was some 350 nautical miles from *THE* north pole.

Txomin

It’s OK. They are aware some of us know they phenomenally screwed up. It’s enough. It’s public and on the record. We can’t ask for more.
And, btw, AP does not like to issue retractions. This means they will (certainly should) be more careful from now on. It is a small victory.

joshuah

Facts? Don’t give us facts. What is the SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS about the North Pole lake? /s

Stacey

Anthony
Please can you through any light on this story in The Guardian re children until life time gagging order after their parents settled with a Oil/fracking company?
I’m sure the Guardian has spun the story but have no evidence?

REPLY:
Sorry, no. Plus this is way off topic. Use contact page or tips/notes – Anthony

Ian George

The whole episode is here – takes a couple of minutes to show the ‘melting’.

Tucker

stuart L says:
August 10, 2013 at 3:52 am
It doesn’t matter the damage is done, few people read retractions
Stuart, that was the point. Sucker punch the public with a falsehood and then walk away unscathed. Tried and true media methodology.

H.R.

“You can’t make this stuff up!”
Oh, wait… they did.
If a retraction is made and no one ever sees it, is it still a retraction?

g3ellis

Even more interesting…. Have you seen it lately? The pictures same camera 2. Is it this one on the sea ice page?
Funny, 404 on that lake, if that is it. Must be climate changed part 2.

g3ellis

Too early, correction for my post above. The picture SAYS camera 2.
George

hunter

Just another typical AGW claim: hyped, deceptive and untrue.

hunter

Now I am wondering if that is the actual AP site, and if it is an actual retraction.
This should be reviewed very careful to avoid egg-on-face syndrome…….

Richard111

Here is a video of a Russian nuclear icebreaker visiting the north pole on July 31 this year.

Richard111

I think this is the site with the wonky camera.

Dodgy Geezer

…THE CAPTION INACCURATELY STATED THAT ‘THE SHALLOW MELTWATER LAKE IS OCCURRING DUE TO AN UNUSUALLY WARM PERIOD.’ IN FACT, THE WATER ACCUMULATES IN THIS WAY EVERY SUMMER. IN ADDITION, THE IMAGES DO NOT NECESSARILY SHOW CONDITIONS AT THE NORTH POLE…
It would be extremely interesting to find out how that erroneous caption got there in the first place….

Patrick B

If the press, including the AP, was actually unbiased, at least one of these climate reporting mistakes over the years should have been erroneously reporting a cooling event. The absence of any such reporting error suggests such misleading reports are intentional.

Arfur Bryant

The AP story is just another media sales pitch and a small mistake compared to this guy…!
I wonder if HE is going to issue a retraction?

Archer2

I agree with Hunter @ 5:01. I have worked in media for 30+ years and have never seen AP do anything like this. Even though the photo is bogus in several ways I encourage caution.

It may be just a spring shoot, but AP issuing a retraction of an alarmist story which was inaccurate, is a significant thing and a sign of that slow tectonic shift now occurring in the MSM. Somebody cut and pasted a press hand-out without really checking it and mebbe they’ll think twice before doing it again.
Pointman

Susan Corwin

So we have people wandering around the Arctic breaking up the ice with huge ice breakers, and the result of this
    “butterfly flapping its wings”
is what?
How many eco-tourists go tootling up and down the Fram strait, the Northwest passage, the Northeast passage, breaking up the ice jams so they could see everything with what result?
They might want to think about Dunning-Kruger effect and Glass’s “levels of ignorance” as well as the SMBC “climbing Mt. Stupid” before answering.

Alan the Brit

Richard111 says:
August 10, 2013 at 5:09 am
Says it all, really, doesn’t it?

Harold Ambler

Walt Meier used the melt pond as evidence of a warm summer at the North Pole, as I write about here. Our e-mail exchange will be interesting to some.

Allencic

Why oh why oh why do journalists and politicians and academics keep insisting that the world is going to Hell in a warming climatic handbasket? Given that the empirical data shows everything they’re saying and predicting is pure BS. Other than the trivial rewards of great scientific fame, massive personal fortunes and total power over nearly every aspect of our lives that is.

DirkH

The globalists who control Thomson-Reuters and AP are throwing CO2AGW and its fairytales under the bus; to preserve the remains of their credibility; hoping to maintain several other lies of vital importance.

DirkH

Allencic says:
August 10, 2013 at 6:48 am
“Why oh why oh why do journalists and politicians and academics keep insisting that the world is going to Hell in a warming climatic handbasket? ”
A quest for absolute power. None of them has an honest bone in his body.
Pascal Lamy is on the board of trustees of Thomson-Reuters, replacing Crispin Tickell. Just one example. It is the globalist machine; running on the taxes we pay; and the credit they issue in our name.

ShrNfr

Oh yea of little faith. I suspect that the picture was taken close to the north MAGNETIC pole. Just a minor detail, I am sure.

Gary

These jump-the-gun alarmist reports need their own WUWT page. I suggest calling it “Stupid Is as Stupid Does” or “Failures in Media.” There are just too many of these howlers not to have their own Hall of Shame.

Bill Illis

There will be a significant recovery in the Arctic sea ice this year.
Here is a nice Zoom-in of the numbers covering day 215 (Aug 3rd) to day 275 (Oct 2nd) with all the key years showing. There is still 44 days to go to the typical lowest extent date of Sept 12 but 2013 is much higher than it has been in recent low years.
At this time of the year, 1996 had the highest sea ice extent recorded and was the lowest overall melt year which is not that well recognized.

richardscourtney

ShrNfr:
Your entire post at August 10, 2013 at 6:55 am says

You “ASSUME”? You mean you don’t know but you present your excuse anyway?
And the magnetic North Pole is moving at a rate of about 40 miles per year so if the camera were initially situated at the magnetic pole it would not be “near” it now.
Your presentation of an unsubstantiated excuse is NOT “just a minor detail”.
Richard

Allencic

They must have CO2 as the devil incarnate or their push for power falls apart. Does anyone else notice that more and more the phrase “ocean acidification” is becoming a larger and larger part of their argument. Of course, anyone who’s taken high school chemistry and has even heard of pH knows the acidification is pure scientific nonsense. But it’s also true that anyone who’s had high school physics and maybe a geography course with a bit of weather and climate knows that AGW is crap too. But as I said before, fame, fortune and most importantly, massive power and control is the goal, not saving the planet.

Master of Space and Thyme

The cyclone centered over the north pole appears to have opened up some very large areas of open water very close to the north pole.
The most recent ECMWF run is forecasting the storm to be below 850mb for another 48 hours and the anomalously warm temperature over the Beaufort, CAA and ESS to continue for at least another 72 hours.
Things are becoming very interesting!

“Lake puddle” or asthe natives call it ” lake nysinyd” translation.. now you see it now you don’t.

Richard111, Thanks for the video of the Russian icebreaker reaching the pole on July 31. I like to use my lying eyes, rather than trusting media, and that film shows how thick and un-slushy the ice is, up there this year. All the fracturing is due to winds and not warming, (and also due to the icebreaker.) Usually it is slushier up there in July, as usually average temperatures are a bit just above freezing for weeks (because the sun never sets) starting in late May and ending at the start of September.
I like to sit back and use my lying eyes via the so-called North Pole Camera, and have done so for years. Therefore, even before the media uproar, I happened to know all about “Lake North Pole,” and was saying it was a melt-water pool that would drain away, and the fact it hadn’t drained away might show the ice was thicker than usual. That put me one step ahead when all the media hype started. http://sunriseswansong.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/north-pole-ice-melt-watching-the-summer-thaw/
I decided to alert a fellow who seemed nice enough, but also seemed naive, who was sensationalizing “Lake North Pole” at a site called “Mother Nature Network.” This involved registering at the site and filling out a form that won me some sort of silly points for “green” behavior, but at last I could comment. Then I wrote a polite note warning the melt-water was likely to drain away in a rush, but it wasn’t printed. There was no explanation, nor was there any mention, (as would happen here,) that I had commented but was “snipped.” So I wrote an even more polite note, after the water drained away, explaining the dynamics of the draining, and that too was never printed either.
My philosophy is that, while my comments might not have reached the “Mother Nature Network” readers, they did reach the eyes of the guy who snipped them. He knows what he has done. Furthermore, so do you who read this, and also so do those who read my post. While my blog is comfortably obscure, with perhaps 20 views most days, hundreds visited during that “Lake North Pole” episode. While a majority came from here or Goddard’s site, I was somewhat surprised to see a fair amount of visitors from the Huffington Post and then, to my complete amazement, even visitors who started coming from Deltoid. So they too know the guy at “Mother Nature Network” snipped me.
I like to think even people who try to justify censoring certain views, and who knowingly take steps to keep open and honest (and hopefully polite) debate from occurring, can be touched by a thing called “shame.” Maybe they can steal cookies from the cookie jar without twinges of conscience if no one sees them, but when photographed doing so and caught red-handed, they haven’t completely lost the capacity to blush.
Some are too invested in the censorship to change. (Naming no names, one mann springs to mind.) However hopefully the young, idealistic and naive can and will change. Being wrong and blushing about mistakes is an important part of learning. If being idealistic and naive was a crime I would have received serious jail-time by now; (around 329 life-sentences, if the judge was kind.)
The thing that best awakes a dormant conscience is to be caught red-handed. I think that is a huge service Watts Up With That provides, simply by pointing out the truth, over and over and over again. When the silence seems deafening, and all you hear is the chirping of crickets, remember Jiminy Cricket was Pinocchio’s conscience. And when it comes to Climate Science, a whole lot of noses are getting pretty darn long.

Master of Space and Thyme

@Richard111
The video of the Russian icebreaker at the North Pole was uploaded in 2009, so unless the person who uploaded that video has mastered time travel , that video is certainly not from July 2013.

RE: Master of Space and Thyme says:
August 10, 2013 at 8:08 am
Thanks for pointing that out, before I once again made an ass of myself. (I was about to post a link to that video, stating it was from 2013.)
Yet it proves my point: It takes a certain amount of blushing to learn.
However that icebreaker did visit the pole, back on July 31 this year. Anyone know of any video? (I suspect they make some money bringing tourists up there, and tourists have cameras.)

RE: Master of Space and Thyme says:
August 10, 2013 at 7:42 am
“….Things are becoming very interesting!”
I agree. Who would think watching ice melt could be so engrossing!
DMI still shows temperatures below freezing north of 80 degrees. While the polar low looks weaker some sort of secondary is stronger on Siberian coast. http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/weather/arcticweather.uk.php
“Northpole camera” lens snow-covered. Your ECMWF model run shows the camera to get hit by some bitter cold, as arctic rowers get a break and above normal temperatures.

Master of Space and Thyme

@Caleb
There was a dramatic rescue during the first week of June by the Russian icebreaker Yamal which sailed very close to the pole to evacuate scientists whose research station was on an ice flow that crumble . The trip took half the time they had forecast because of the ice being badly fractured by PAC2013. Here are a couple links to the story, the first one is in German so you’ll have to use Google translate.

Ian L. McQueen

To Arfur Bryant
Thanks for your posting about Sierra Club Canada (http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/AdultDiscussionPlease). I went to the URL and found no place to post a comment. I wanted to ask if PhDs in climatology were now coming as prizes in Cracker Jack packages.
The present voice of Sierra Club Canada told us at a talk that he got his start selling Save the Whales buttons and was taken under the wing of Elizabeth May (of Green Party fame). He gave a talk on global warming several years ago in my home town (Saint John, NB). I went and threw as much contradiction at him as allowed by the moderator. It obviously had no effect on him- I wonder if any of the true believers in the audience took any note.
IanM

Master of Space and Thyme

@Caleb
The DMI is using data from the ECMWF, which produced the maps I have posted here. It is the exact same forecast and it will not be weakening for a couple more days.
From your link at DMI
“Surface Pressure and 2 meter air temperature over sea ice and ocean, North of 60°N.
Data are based on analysis data from the global operational weather forecasting model at ECMWFs.”

Jimbo

Steven Goddard has a nice summary for the Arctic and other calamatological canaries.

400 PPM CO2 Update!
Posted on August 10, 2013 by stevengoddard
Coldest summer on record at the North Pole
• Highest August Arctic ice extent since 2006
• Record high August Antarctic ice extent
• No major hurricane strikes for eight years
• Slowest tornado season on record
• No global warming for 17 years
• Second slowest fire season on record
• Four of the five snowiest northern hemisphere winters have occurred since 2008

It does make you wonder what all the global warming fuss and predictions are all about.

DirkH

Master of Space and Thyme says:
August 10, 2013 at 7:42 am
“The University of Bremen’s concentration map is showing a huge drop in concentration north of 80 degrees.

So I take it that you are in Bremen and have an account; because everybody else has no access.
Are you working at an alarmist institute?

DirkH

Master of Space and Thyme says:
August 10, 2013 at 9:03 am
“Here is a link to the ECM site, it is very user friendly and allows you to do ten day model runs for multiple parameters. ”
How sweet! Alarmists allow simple proles now to model their own personal preferred future by choosing their own parameters? Great!

DirkH

Master of Space and Thyme says:
August 10, 2013 at 9:03 am
And guess what I got as a web ad there? The web ad at the bottom of the page was personalized to my own interests (as I could easily tell; I orchestrate myself what ads are shown to me by searching for the right terms on google); the one on the left was obviously targeted at the typical demographic using that site… and it was
“Politikberatung
Interessensvertretung, Lobbying, Public Affairs, Issue Management”
or in English – “Politicy advice (URL) – interest representation, Lobbying, …”
Yeah I thought so; that’s 90% of the work of an alarmist.

@Caleb 7:54 am
Thanks for the blog on the “Lake North Pole” web cam.
The facts I was looking for were there:
July 10: The lake-lead first appeard in the distance.
July 16: lake fingers approached the bouy.
July 20: the web cam bouy was nearly surrounded by a melt water puddle.
July 26: bouy in water extending far away, but not deep enough to float.
July 28: the lake drained away between July 27 and July 28.
July 28: ice very glossy, residual water from lake froze as the lake drained.
BTW, where did you get the picture of that “fallen tree wood rack”
Google Images gives up http://www.alastairheseltine.com/index.htm, but I have no idea he was the creator.

Those ponds aren’t even melt in many cases, they are often accumulated rain. Rainwater ponds create bodies that eventually freeze solid in winter creating ice that is harder to melt the following summer as it has no salt content at all.

Master of Space and Thyme

@DirkH
Sorry about the link to the University of Bremen concentration map, here is a direct link to the Bremen site.
What is you point regarding ECM allowing individuals to have free access to their models?
Rather than attack the messenger, why not address the actual information posted like a real sceptic would. You are exposing yourself to be a bitter cynic rather than a true sceptic.