Open Thread & Poll – discuss the recent changes to WUWT

In the last two weeks, WUWT changed the cloud service it was hosted on, and made significant changes to the way comments are handled using the new WpDiscuz commenting system, while allowed editing, comment up/down voting and many other features.

I also made a big change to the Tips and Notes page, so that it doesn’t get bogged down and need to be purged periodically..

The process of change has not been without hiccups. But, I believe they are mostly solved now.

Just a couple of caveats before the discussion.

1. I can’t move the posiion of the main comment form, currently at the top of comments. The software was designed that way and people asking on the WpDiscuz support forum have also made the same request.
  2. I can’t current make the text in nested comments the same size as the main comments. Perhaps in the future with some CSS tweaking it can be done. I’m not a CSS expert.  See update below.

Comments suggestions, what ifs and polite complaints are welcome.

UPDATE: Based on feedback in this thread, I’ve disabled the “read more” comment button. Comments will load in full now.

UPDATE 2: In case you don’t know, inline image embedding works, but ONLY if you use https, not http in the URL.

UPDATE3: The differing text size between top level and threaded comments has been fixed. My thanks to Eric Worrall

UPDATE4: I added a plugin that provides a comments search next to the very top comment box. Helpful on large threads.

6/11 10AM – I had to remove it, as it was being exploited and slowed the entire system down.

UPDATE5: 04/11/18 I added another plugin, this one designed to handle YouTube and image embedding, as well as allow for direct uploads of images, audio, and video files in comments using the new icons that now appear in the comment box.

UPDATE6 BY WILLIS: I’m overjoyed to announce that Anthony has fixed the problem with the formatting on all of the previous posts. They display correctly now, so I’m able to recommend WUWT once again without reservation. Please ignore my comment below, the issue has totally gone away. My thanks to Anthony for his usual dedication to detail and his unwavering support of the blog. Well done, my friend.

0 0 votes
John Garrett
June 9, 2018 11:51 am

I like it (a lot). The ability to edit comments is great (I don’t always get it right the first go-round!)

M Courtney
Reply to  John Garrett
June 9, 2018 12:23 pm

Yes. The ability to edit comments is great.
But no-one will know I think that as this comment will be in micro-text (as a reply) and thus ignored.

And why do I have to delete text from a blank form in order to write a comment?

commieBob
Reply to  M Courtney
June 9, 2018 1:44 pm

The replies are smaller but not so small that they are hard to read. I think the benefit is that we seem to be getting an extra layer of threaded comments.

I don’t have to delete text from the blank form. It disappears when I start typing. Maybe it’s your browser.

Boy do I ever like the editing feature! I find so many errors after I hit ‘Post’.

The other thing I like is ‘read more’. It makes it much easier to follow a thread. Some folks, me included, write very long comments that disrupt the visual flow. In that light, if/when graphics come back it would be nice if they were restricted in size for the same reason.

The downside of ‘read more’ is that it kills links and block quotes. It makes it hard to read the text that does appear unless you click on ‘read more’.

Reply to  commieBob
June 9, 2018 3:17 pm

I find the text small and the font used is also a bit weedy and faint. I see the read more aspect has been removed, thank goodness.

I am sure we will get used to it and understand why the changes were made

Tonyb

Sharpshooter
Reply to  Tonyb
June 9, 2018 6:00 pm

In Mozilla, I just zoom he text size up or down.

commieBob
Reply to  Tonyb
June 9, 2018 6:04 pm

You can change the fonts your browser uses. You can set your own fonts and you can make those take precedence over what the web site specifies.

Usually I provide a link but there are so many different sets of instructions for different versions of different browsers … Google is your friend.

drednicolson
Reply to  Tonyb
June 9, 2018 7:52 pm

Preferences / Content / Fonts and Colors or some variation thereof

Reply to  drednicolson
June 10, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks for the comments but that would mean I had to change the font and size every time I visit here, whereas on every other web site I am perfectly happy with what is served up.

As I say, I am sure I will get used to it but I don’t think the site has the presence and sheer boldness it had before, through the use of the current default font and text.

tonyb

MarkW
Reply to  M Courtney
June 9, 2018 8:08 pm

I’ve wondered, does your post show up as soon as you post it, or does it wait until the edit feature times out?

June 9, 2018 11:55 am

It seems to load faster to me. Ability to edit comments is a big improvement too.

Reply to  Mark Pawelek
June 9, 2018 1:57 pm

The big costs, though, are
1. Comments are not only shown truncated, but with formatting removed
2. Only a subset are shown; you have to load more. That means searching doesn’t work until you do that.

Marcus
Reply to  Nick Stokes
June 9, 2018 3:06 pm

Nick, “Read More” has been removed..

Reply to  Marcus
June 9, 2018 6:17 pm

Good news!

McComber Boy
June 9, 2018 11:58 am

Anthony,

Thanks for all your work on this. My comment would be to not have to click on read more in order to see the complete reply to a post. It’s easier and less annoying if it’s all there and we can just keep on scrolling.

pbh

Oldseadog
Reply to  McComber Boy
June 9, 2018 1:34 pm

Agree. Let us see the whole post.

Sweet Old Bob
Reply to  McComber Boy
June 9, 2018 2:17 pm

Agree .

David A Smith
Reply to  McComber Boy
June 10, 2018 4:49 am

Also agree. On this kind of site the longer, more thought out posts are usually the ones most worth reading.

Rob Dawg
June 9, 2018 12:00 pm

No matter what:

“illegitimus non carborundum”

Rainer Bensch
Reply to  Rob Dawg
June 10, 2018 3:24 am

Well, I found a plausible translation at

2hotel9
Reply to  Rob Dawg
June 10, 2018 5:09 am

Stilwell lives! Don’t let the bastards grind you down!

June 9, 2018 12:00 pm

Before:
Best climate skeptic website in the world.

After:
Best climate skeptic website in the world.

My only suggestion is to change the name of the website to
Watt Up With That,
which I believe will attract
a more diverse audience.

Am I allowed to say that?

drednicolson
Reply to  Richard Greene
June 9, 2018 12:39 pm

Ey Yo Watt Up Wit Dat, Mann?

Reply to  Richard Greene
June 9, 2018 1:24 pm

Watt Up Wi Dat for a more urban edge.

Watt The Hell’s Up With Your Dinialism for a more alarmist edge.

Watt’s In It For Me for a more grant-seekery edge.

Watt Am I Doing Here for a more existential edge.

Watt Is My Gender for a more trans-sexual edge.

… and so many other possibilities.

shrnfr
Reply to  Richard Greene
June 9, 2018 2:56 pm

Perhaps you wish to edit this and delete the word “skeptic”?

jdgalt
Reply to  Richard Greene
June 9, 2018 4:06 pm

I disagree. That would only encourage less literate replies.

tom0mason
Reply to  jdgalt
June 9, 2018 4:26 pm

Like, wot like?

Trevor
Reply to  Richard Greene
June 10, 2018 3:03 am

Richard Greene : Shame on you “ROBIN HOOD” !!!!!!!!!!
“Watt Up With That,”
YOU HAVE JUST DISPOSSESSED THE MAN OF HIS Website !
IT IS CALLED ” Watts ” FOR A GOOD REASON.
( and NO……it’s not named after the “steam engine” man ! )

Reply to  Trevor
June 12, 2018 7:24 am

Trevor:
You desperately need the edit feature
to delete your bad jokes (all of them).
Or stop drinking before posting.
I refuse to use the edit feature —
editing is for weenies,
not real men.
My own jokes are high quality …
as long as I first tell people
“I’m going to tell a joke”,
and then conclude with:
“I just told a joke”.
Anyone who equates “Richard Greene”
with Robin Hood must be old,
and possibly British.
too seriously.

Dennis Bird
June 9, 2018 12:04 pm

Really like the new look. Up or down voting is a plus. No more annoying Amazon lucky spinning wheel pop up.

Leo Smith
June 9, 2018 12:06 pm
Ian H
Reply to  Leo Smith
June 10, 2018 5:56 am

OK – what about this

Latitude
June 9, 2018 12:11 pm

I like it…..took some getting used to…..thanks Anthony for listening to my whining! LOL

Here’s a good place for this….something you will never see in the news
…what winning really looks like

Yirgach
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 12:41 pm

Oh, look!
A President!
Not a resident.

Latitude
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 12:59 pm

There are two more pictures that just have to go with that one….

jdgalt
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 4:10 pm

This image doesn’t load, and clicking on it gives a blank page that loads forever.

And Anthony: it’s annoying to have to retype name and address for each comment. They used to auto-fill. Not anymore.

goldminor
Reply to  jdgalt
June 9, 2018 4:20 pm

2222222Mine loaded up on their own.

goldminor
Reply to  goldminor
June 9, 2018 4:21 pm

But those numbers didn’t go away on their own. Will remember that.

RACookPE1978
Reply to  goldminor
June 9, 2018 6:37 pm

Which nbr’s did not go away?

Latitude
Reply to  jdgalt
June 9, 2018 4:39 pm

jd…that image was on Newsweek….looks like they took it down because so many people were making fun of Trudeau
Try this one…almost the same image of Trudeau man speading

Latitude
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 4:40 pm

nope that one didn’t work either…..never mind

Greg Cavanagh
Reply to  Latitude
June 10, 2018 1:33 am

The owner of canada.autonews.com has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

LOL

Latitude
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 3:26 pm

How’d you do that??….LOL

Latitude
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 5:16 pm

test

..we have lift off Houston

Mike McMillan
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 5:44 pm

The difference is https:// instead of http://

If the site is http and you type https, something somewhere checks the site’s non-existent security certificate and says evil deceptive site and doesn’t post the picture.

WUWT needs to allow http images to post.

Latitude
Reply to  Mike McMillan
June 9, 2018 5:49 pm

yep…figured that out

RACookPE1978
Reply to  Latitude
June 9, 2018 7:07 pm

The same moment, from a different perspective – FORMING a different perspective!
comment image

The body language of Merkel and Trudeau (pleading, arguing) against Japan’s Abe and America’s Trump card (not buying the sales pressure pitch!).

MJSnyder
Reply to  RACookPE1978
June 9, 2018 7:51 pm

Actually Trudeau is out of the photo behind Trump. The person pleading, arguing is Macron. I love how Abe is mirroring Trump.

Mat
Reply to  RACookPE1978
June 10, 2018 5:48 am

Note how Bolton is the one talking.
Reminds me of the scene in the Khan Star Trek episode where Spock argues with Khan while Kirk sits back and observes for weaknesses…

Keitho
Reply to  Latitude
June 10, 2018 5:50 am

I think he is saying “I am not your bank anymore. Get out of my basement and stand on your own damned feet.”

RACookPE1978
Reply to  Keitho
June 10, 2018 6:35 am

And, a few minutes later, Trump is instructing Merkel, Abe – and everyone else! – is listening carefully.

comment image

Postures change, and the photographs selected from the hundreds available are always very instructive. ( Perhaps Merkel can no longer hear well?)

otropogo
Reply to  RACookPE1978
June 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Put it in perspective – Merkel’s native language is German, her second language is Russian. Here she has to make sense of infantile blustering in English… Now imagine Trump listening to Kim Il Jung ranting in Korean – how brilliant would he look then?

BTW – I like the idea of being able to edit posts, I hate have to click “read more”. I do find the layout less readable aside from that.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  otropogo
June 11, 2018 7:14 am

“Here she has to make sense of infantile blustering in English”

Trump is *so* underestimated. 🙂

otropogo
Reply to  otropogo
June 11, 2018 9:21 am

Haven’t seen the “edit button” yet. What does it look like, and when and for how long does it appear? I would have liked to correct my blooper above (replacing “Il Jung” with ” Jong-un”.

More disturbing in my experience of the new website is the glacial pace of connection. My browser is often in danger of timing out … Am I the only one with this experience? I access the forum by clicking on the link for the article displayed in my gmail feed.

OK, I’ve now seen the word “edit” and it seems to work (although not on the first try, that only invited me to “add to the flow”. Second try worked.

On the glacial subject, I’ve also found downloading the page (I like to keep a copy of the discussions I post to) just as slow. I believe this page took more than a minute to download 700KB, on on previous attempts to save a page, the browser timed out.

Latitude
Reply to  Keitho
June 10, 2018 6:56 am

I think it’s amazing…….the EU is trying so hard to give us something that’s good for us…and can’t understand why we don’t want it

snark

It should be obvious to everyone….who benefits from these tariffs

EternalOptimist
June 9, 2018 12:16 pm

Im happy. but I really want to know more about the attacks that led to the move. just idle curiosity

steve case
June 9, 2018 12:19 pm

I didn’t realize that you could edit. Time Stamp next to the name would be nice. And the “Read More” link isn’t a user friendly feature.

I haven’t tried to post an image or link yet, I assume I can do both if I work at figuring out how it’s done.

I”m going to click “Post Comment” now and look for the edit button.

Oh! How nice. Let’s try an image

and a link:

Maybe HTML will work for an image:

didn’t work – so I (we) need to know how to post images (-:

fonzie
Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 1:13 pm

goldminor
Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 4:23 pm

Maybe it only works for photo images.

RACookPE1978
Reply to  goldminor
June 9, 2018 6:38 pm

I believe WordPress requires the image file_id end with a recognized 3-character image file type: .gif, .jpg, .img, etc

Henry Pool
June 9, 2018 12:25 pm

JimG1
June 9, 2018 12:28 pm

I think it’s just fine. Agree with the comment about would rather not need to click to see an entire longer comment but that’s no biggie.

June 9, 2018 12:33 pm

It is all good.
Just need to figure out the work-arounds.
Anything that slows down my commenting might be considered a feature 🙂

howard dewhirst
June 9, 2018 12:49 pm

It might be useful to have a second category of ‘Recent Posts’ for longer term items that are important/serious but which don’t get enough hits to keep near the top of the page? Perhaps a link to ‘Important major stories’ or similar?

June 9, 2018 12:50 pm

It is nice. I wonder if the total number of likes and not likes on a post could be kept track of instead of the net amount?

David Walton
June 9, 2018 12:51 pm

Hello Anthony. Works for me, no complaints. I like the fact you can edit a comment to correct mistakes and typos.

michael hart
June 9, 2018 12:51 pm

The biggest irritation for me is the location of the name of the poster. Is it above the comment or below? It is not obvious. I’m sure I will start remembering after a while, but it seems certain to confuse many less-regular visitors and lead to comments being directed at the wrong person. Internet discussions being what they are, the resultant misunderstandings seem likely to lead to more unnecessary disagreements and arguments.

More trivially, I’ve had continuing non-appearance of comments after they have been successfully submitted: they only appear when I come back later. Sometimes hours later. This seems to happen on different machines, both using Windows, but using both Chrome and Firefox browsers. The problem may have settled down now, but I can’t say for sure because I’ve stopped visiting as often to see if they posted successfully.

Reply to  michael hart
June 9, 2018 1:17 pm

It would be nice to place the grey line above the name but I don’t think Anthony has control of that.

June 9, 2018 1:00 pm

I have to say overall this is the best climate site.

ossqss
June 9, 2018 1:07 pm

I like it. I am still trying to figure out the function buttons below the comment box. Much more feature rich for certain. Thanks for doing what you do Anthony.

June 9, 2018 1:15 pm

First, thanks for the many efforts to improve.

Second, to nitpick (and I know you said you can’t change some things, but no nitpicking is complete without everything included, so don’t think I ignored what was said in that regard):

(1) I still cannot get an image from my drop box to post and embed — the URL prefix is automatically https– I’ve tried using the whole extension of a drop box link — I tried cutting off the end so that only .jpg would be there — I’ve tried the trick where you replace the end of the extension with raw=1 — I’ve tried using image tags with all the above variations — and still the image just won’t post and embed.

(2) The blockquote text is a wimpy size — I mean, what’s the point of creating that nice color rectangle to highlight text, when the text size itself within the rectangle has been DIMINISHED?

(3) Yeah, the order-of-posting thing that you cannot do anything about.

(4) Yeah, the font size of embedded comments thing that you cannot do anything about.

(5) Loving the edit feature, where I can post a draft, see the screw ups IN the draft AFTER actually posting it, and then being able to kick myself to make it right. Looks like there’s a limit of three tries, before you can’t edit anymore — is that correct?

Okay, that’s it for now.

ossqss
Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 9, 2018 1:25 pm

Nevermind, you tried that https item. Comment redacted 😉

Edit, However you might try opening the image in a browser so it is full screen and try that link or right click and open image in new tab?

Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 9, 2018 5:23 pm

Why won’t my image embed?

Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 9, 2018 7:00 pm

Here’s the reason: A lot of these “images” are not actually images – i.e., they are really links to web pages, not a specific file. Try whatever your browser has for “open link in new window/tab” on Robert’s “comment image” above. You end up on a web page that drags in a whole bunch of other things, not just a JPEG file. Which WordPress (rightly) rejects – that is a very big security hole.

Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 9, 2018 7:05 pm

Your url *looks* to be OK, but in practice it is specifying a whole DropBox page. that sort of thing will never display. You need a clean url straight to the .jpg itself, and not a web page generated by the hosting website. I looked around that page but I did not find any way to grab the clean .jpg url. Usually there is a “share” button or something similar for this purpose, but I did not see one.

Anybody handy with DropBox want to jump in?

I used to use TinyPic but that one dropped dead for a while, although it seems OK now. But others are having trouble with it.

I currently use PostImage, and it is working well. Postimage apparently had some hosting problems a while back, and after that the urls changed. All my saved links to my images were broken, but with a little thought and url editing they were recoverable.
PostImage now seems to be working fine, so no problem.
If you use PostImage, upload your graph, then hit the “share” button, and copy the direct url to the .jpg

Leo Smith
Reply to  TonyL
June 10, 2018 3:27 am

Dropbox hides all that. only way is to copy image somewhere else and post a link to that..

Sam C Cogar
Reply to  TonyL
June 10, 2018 8:39 am

TonyL – June 9, 2018 7:05 pm

Anybody handy with DropBox want to jump in?

Tony, and others, ….. I don’t know about DropBoxes, ….. but ….

Sometimes, and I say sometimes, iffen you place your “cursor” on the “image” that is imbedded in/on the per se DropBox “site” and the cursor “arrow” turns to a “pointing finger”, ….. then “click-it” and the image will upload and then you can copy its “url” (direct link).

Recent changes to Google “Images” has made it tuff to copy “image links” for posting on other sites.

Reply to  Sam C Cogar
June 10, 2018 9:00 am

Tried exactly that while investigating DropBox. That capability is *not* available there.

ossqss
Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 9, 2018 8:05 pm

Yep, can’t load that as it has additional baggage from drop box. It is not an image there, just a file you use their service to view. Try uploading the item to an image hosting service and it will work. I don’t use many, but Imgur works for me. Good Luck.

Leo Smith
Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 10, 2018 3:25 am

est

Reply to  Robert Kernodle
June 10, 2018 10:09 am

Well, crap, … I’m dead in the water, as far as images go. No more pics from me, I guess.

Bruce Sanson
June 9, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi, I need help! Does anyone know where to get data on variations in the earths received gravitational field due to the orbits of all the planets our moon and sun? It seems to me possible that an increase in received gravity could drive an increase in the thermohaline circulation and low cloud formation due to this affect – http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~thompson/161/tidalbulge.gif. ie an increase in the vector of the force of gravity from the poles to the earths center. This could make no sense as my knowledge of physics is from a LONG time ago! Any help/ comment appreciated

Roger Knights
Reply to  Bruce Sanson
June 9, 2018 4:58 pm

The above is the sort of comment that would benefit from appearing in the Tips & Notes section, if only it still allowed such comments to be visible to all.

Bruce Sanson
Reply to  Bruce Sanson
June 9, 2018 6:53 pm
fonzie
June 9, 2018 1:28 pm

Anthony(!), i recall once that you mentioned that you were going to find a way to keep relatively important posts at the top of the page for a longer time. Any chance that you might still do that? It’s a shame that some of these technical posts that your contributors work so diligently on disappear so quickly. (hate to see such wonderful posts getting the same billing as a post about bill nye’s ties)…

June 9, 2018 1:30 pm

I voted “It’s mostly OK, some niggles remain.”
How many of the “niggles” are inherent to the new system or to where I am on the learning curve of its ins and outs, I don’t know.
It’s a big improvement.
A “Help” or “What’s New” with would be good. (At least some tips such as “click on the “Read more” if it appears at the end of a comment.)

Reply to  Gunga Din
June 10, 2018 7:56 am

How many people can’t deduce that “Read more” is meant to be clicked on?

I expect there will be big changes to my Guide (and on the Test page ) once things settle down. See the nav bars. Click on the buttons. 🙂

Reply to  Ric Werme
June 10, 2018 1:32 pm

😎 I meant to click on “Read more” to see the proper formatting for that comment.
(Of course since UPDATE 1 says “Read more” has been disabled, not a problem anymore.)

Sören F
June 9, 2018 1:42 pm

Two little issues: (1) the way sub-comments get smaller font, and (2) how the information above and below a comment takes up too much space overall, using too big font too.

Greg Woods
June 9, 2018 1:50 pm

I see no entries in Tips and Notes

Roger Knights
Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 4:29 pm

But it’s pleasant to read what others have posted, especially since some of them call for a response containing links to further information. If there were a way for the system to somehow purge all three-months-old material at the start of each month, the need to manually purge would no longer exist, nor would long loading times. But I suppose this new “skin” doesn’t allow such micro-level control.

Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 10, 2018 7:12 am

The (non-Anthony) WUWT page on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/wattsupwiththat/ could be commandeered as a Tips & Notes repository.

June 9, 2018 1:59 pm

“I can’t move the posiion of the main comment form”
I think it has to be at the top, because at the bottom thee is only “Load more comments”. And if you have to load them all before adding, that would be a pain.

dmacleo
June 9, 2018 2:00 pm

my old eyes have issues reading replies to comments and cannot find a way to add avatar/profile img that the plugin instructions say is possible. this however may be an admin setting, don’t know.
for all its quirks I think I still prefer disqus due to SSO and history availability.

June 9, 2018 2:00 pm

Pluses:

1. Ability to edit comments. (I’d like it even better if it had a countdown timer, if the timer reset with each edit, if editing weren’t disabled for comments that go into moderation or trigger the spam filter, and if the editor wouldn’t make my nbsp characters invisible.)

2. The worst of the initial problems are fixed. Links are no longer invisible. Pictures can be posted (though with https URLs only).

3. The yellow-background not-yet-read thing. I’m not sure, but I think I kinda like it.

Minuses:

1. The comment permalink URLs in old articles are all broken.
For example, this was the URL of a comment which I made last summer about the benefits of elevated CO2 for CAM plants (like pineapple):
That link no longer works.
The equivalent “wordpress dot com” URL still works:
But for the imported copy of the article, in the new system, the comment has a changed URL, which breaks all the old links to it. Here’s the new URL:

2. In old / imported articles, the embedded images don’t show up if they used http instead of https URLs.

3. “Read more” and “Load more comments” (probably helpful for mobile device users, but I use a big, fat desktop computer). They break “ctrl-F” searches.

4. YouTube, Vimeo & Twitter links don’t produce embedded videos/tweets.

5. “oldest first” default (which the”Load more comments” feature makes especially annoying, for heavily-commented articles).

6. There’s something strange about the web pages — the Chrome spinning “busy” indicator keeps spinning on them.

7. Comments that go to the spam bucket just disappear without a trace, and no warning to the user. (But the old system had this problem, too.)

8. Error reporting is baaaad.

9. Doesn’t update the URL in the address bar, when you post a comment.

10. The one you mentioned: the tiny font for indented replies.

Things to get used to:

1. The 🔗 button to get the comment’s permalink (instead of the date/time linking to the permalink).

2. Gotta use https to get images to show up.

3. Blockquote just indents, no other format change.

4. Comment entry at the top.

5. As others have noted, the horizontal line is in the wrong place. It should be between comments, not between the commenter’s name and his comment. That is, it should be above his name, not below it.

Meh:

1. +/-

Reply to  Dave Burton
June 10, 2018 1:55 am

The list of “minuses” is shrinking…

2. I wrote “articles” when I meant “comments.”

3. is fixed, thank you!

4. is partially fixed — some folks have managed to get youtube vids to embed (though sometimes it doesn’t work — dunno why)

5. is okay, now that “load more comments” is thankfully gone.

6. Maybe fixed — the spinning/busy thing seems to not be happening, now.

10. Tiny font for indented replies is fixed (except for italics).

Jacob Frank
June 9, 2018 2:08 pm

On the old site I could turn my phone sideways and the text was delicious and big and easy on my old worn out eyes. for a site like this font is everything. Other than that everything is awesome great job hard work I know

hunter
June 9, 2018 2:09 pm

I love the new format.
Intuitive, permits editing, navigable, simpler direct reply functions.
Thank you for taking the trouble to make the change.

Nigel in Santa Barbara
June 9, 2018 2:12 pm

I don’t like the “read more…” truncation and link. It changes the formatting, I lose my reading point, and I’d prefer to see the whole comment at once all the time for all comments.

Juan Slayton
Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 2:56 pm

Amen.

Nigel in Santa Barbara
Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 10, 2018 12:07 am

Thank you, Anthony! So much better!

June 9, 2018 2:32 pm

Anthony ==> Overall a vast improvement. I used CA Assistant with its clickable HTML tags to ease the use of HTML in comments — but doesn’t work in the new version (not your fault — I may be able to re-write the code).

The Important Thing is whether it is better for you overall or not. Let us know.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
June 9, 2018 3:06 pm

I’ve never used CA Assistant. I’ve used Ric Werme’s Guide on the sidebar. https://werme.bizland.com/werme/wuwt/index.html
(Maybe that’s why on another post Willis had trouble with “pre”-“/pre” formatting?)

Reply to  Gunga Din
June 10, 2018 7:20 am

Those two are sort of unrelated.

IIRC, CA Assistant was written for ClimateAudit. That it worked at all here is minor miracle.

I’ve used ItsAllText, that may be going away. Bummer.

A few other notes in general:

My Guide to WUWT isn’t updating, it will take a while to get it going with the Pressable site. I’m also fighting MySQL over some stuff. I’ll likely rebuild my data base from scratch, as the postID numbers have changed, and I used them as my index.

The Test page here (see top Nav bar) is in dreadful shape – mea culpa. I haven’t had time to keep it cleaned up in months. I’ll make some.

Reply to  Ric Werme
June 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Ric,
Thanks for what you do.
Your guide has helped people better communicate what they have to say.

Reply to  Gunga Din
June 11, 2018 5:41 am

Gunga ==> I’ll have to investigate the rules for HTML in comments on the new platform….really liked CA Assist.

Gary Kerkin
June 9, 2018 2:34 pm

The reply to a comment type font can be adjusted if someone who is familiar with the WordPress configuration can get into the CSS sheet(s). the problem, as with all content management systems, is that several CSS sheets will be loaded before the page is finally rendered. I’m not familiar with WordPress.

I like most of what I see but I’m not sure about the (Up)(Like)(+)/(Down)(Dislike)(-) feature. I don’t know what it means to others or what it contributes. For example I recently posted a damaged electronic organ on a neighbourhood social media page free to an interested hobbyist. No replies to it, but two persons “liked” it! What on earth did that mean?

The capability to edit comments is a blessing to those of us with “thick” fingers, dyslexia, and awful spelling/grammar correctors.

[On the other hand, the mods do point out that an awefilled grammar detector is very awesome and awe-inspiring. .mod]

fonzie
Reply to  Gary Kerkin
June 9, 2018 2:57 pm

(the like button helps me to see if the peops think that my jokes are funny… ☺)

fonzie
Reply to  fonzie
June 9, 2018 2:59 pm

(or not… ☹️)

Reply to  fonzie
June 9, 2018 3:53 pm

I gave you a +1 on your first and a -1 on your second.
(You seemed to be asking for it.) 😎

PS Very, very minor (or is it “miner”) thing.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ83r886Kyg/YChWz_oow6g)
How can I do the 8 – ) as text with it being glasses instead of sunglasses?

Reply to  Gunga Din
June 9, 2018 6:25 pm

Testing video that didn’t show above.

Reply to  Gunga Din
June 9, 2018 6:27 pm

Last try.

Reply to  Gunga Din
June 9, 2018 6:47 pm
Reply to  Gunga Din
June 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Odd. Today on a different PC at another location all my “test” worked but this one.
On my home PC all of them still don’t work as embedded.
That is, I see a link that works when I click on it, but on the other PC I saw a still of the video to click on.
I’m guessing it must be on my end.
(If it is on my end, I hope all of you that saw it correctly (repeatedly) like “Galaxy Quest”8- )

RACookPE1978
Reply to  Gunga Din
June 9, 2018 6:41 pm

8<) You forgot the nose under the eyeglasses.

Reply to  RACookPE1978
June 9, 2018 6:48 pm

But my nose isn’t that big. 8- )

fonzie
Reply to  Gunga Din
June 9, 2018 10:06 pm

Now, Gunga, that’s funny! (i gave you +1)…

michael hart
Reply to  Gary Kerkin
June 9, 2018 4:05 pm

The world of internet commenting is often perverse.

For instance, there are many, many videos on Youtube with low viewer numbers and even fewer comments and votes. But amongst those with almost zero comments and votes, I notice that they tend to have either 0 down votes, or 2 down votes. Notwithstanding that the topics are often ones where it is difficult to imagine any ‘average’ commenter from ten random viewers taking the trouble to down-vote the video, it frequently turns out to be 2 down-votes. Not 1 or 3. Often while the number of up-votes is trending up towards 100 (by which time you might reasonably expect to get at least some down-votes on any video) on a less-infrequently-viewed video, the down-votes, if any, still often seem stuck at 2. Not 1 or 3, or more. Whatever it reflects under these circumstances, I don’t believe it reflects a true sampling of the opinions of human viewers. It makes me suspect there are only two bots that have successfully ‘examined’ and successfully commented on the bulk of Youtube videos.

beng135
June 9, 2018 2:54 pm

If these changes are better for Anth*ny and WUWT, then I support them (of course).

jorgekafkazar
June 9, 2018 2:59 pm

The Read-More feature is handy, but too often, there’s only a half-paragraph after it. Where it’s needed is in long diatribes. I don’t see a way to make it commenter-controlled; those people wouldn’t use it, most likely.

June 9, 2018 3:04 pm

In a perfect world, nobody would need the “edit” button, cus they took the extra minute or two to read what they wrote.
It is after all a marathon, not a sprint.
Take it from someone that can barely put a sentence together.

fonzie
Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 9, 2018 3:14 pm

i would find that even proofing before submitting a comment was not enough to make them completely error free. It’s only when you hit submit and then read it after posting that you notice that one or two mistakes that got by you. (the edit feature solves that problem)…

Roger Knights
Reply to  fonzie
June 9, 2018 4:36 pm

Right. A book on copy-editing advised readers that merely changing the font and/or size of text will make it easier to spot errors.

Bad Science 564
June 9, 2018 3:05 pm

I am mostly an intermittent lurker here, so my take shouldn’t carry much weight.
But thanks to a recent period of, um, the absence of income, I’ve been on a much slower internet connection. And your site seems to load much faster now than it did before. Thanks!
(The text size issue isn’t a concern here, as my browser allows me to adjust text size as I see fit.)

June 9, 2018 3:06 pm

I like it.
For me, a Solid WIN.
I was more than a bit skeptical at first, but the tweaking and tuning has made a huge difference.

A lot of people are having trouble getting embedded images and YouTube videos to display.
Maybe it is because we are not familiar with the details.
Maybe there are bugs in the embed code.
We will have to see how it all works out. Then action can be taken if needed.

My compliments to the chef.

fonzie
Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 3:35 pm

(tony, i think you have to use https now)…

Reply to  fonzie
June 9, 2018 4:03 pm

We have seen several examples of people using what seems correct https urls and still no joy. Anthony pointed that out right on day one so we started giving it a try. Looks like things need to shake out a bit.
Stay tuned.

Reply to  fonzie
June 9, 2018 11:17 pm

Yes, https links work to embed images. Not for youtube videos, though.

MikeO
June 9, 2018 3:10 pm

The changes look good, BUT
The link on the email notice of an article title are broken, they left out the “dot” in “wattsupwiththat.com”
the “Read more of this post” is correct.

Reply to  MikeO
June 9, 2018 11:20 pm

Seems okay to me. I just got the link for the new article, Pope Francis Asks Oil Companies to Deliver Cheap Reliable Clean Energy. The links all work fine.

Javier
June 9, 2018 3:15 pm

I hate the voting of the comments. It is very unfriendly to people with unpopular opinions and works as a twisted reward system to echo-chamber type of short comments.

It also provides a measure of success for trolls, to see how many negative votes they can get.

[Please, don’t vote this comment] ☺

Clyde Spencer
June 9, 2018 3:24 pm

Anthony, I haven’t really taken time to dig into it, but it seems that comments that were initially in close proximity are getting spread out. As an example, in the last post by David Middleton on OA, he had initially responded to me and his comment was close below. It now is like a page lower down .

June 9, 2018 3:53 pm

I like it a lot, except for one huge thing. In the old system, paragraphs had a space between them. Under the new system, every old post has lost that space. And since no one indents paragraphs any more, this has turned every old post into jammed up, hard-to-read junk. Here’s an example. Scroll down to the middle and you’ll see how ugly it is.

Although I hate to do it, I have stopped recommending posts on WUWT because they are so difficult to read.

HELP! This is a deal-breaker, it’s turned thousands of carefully-formatted posts into rubbish.

Other than that, I think the new format is superb.

w.

Roger Knights
Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
June 9, 2018 5:06 pm

A fix would be for the new system to automatically indent non-indented paragraphs, even if they are separated from one another by blank lines. (Or only if they are not so separated.) This may not be a current option with this “skin,” but maybe its coders could be persuaded to add it.

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
June 10, 2018 12:57 am

A workaround for new links to old articles is to use the equivalent wattsupwiththat.​wordpress.​com link, like this:

But the problem isn’t the formatting of paragraph breaks, it’s the fact that many (but not all!) of the paragraph breaks </p><p> in the old articles have been replaced with line breaks <br> in the new versions, by whatever miserable, buggy tool imported the old articles into the new system (presumably the same miserable, buggy tool which broke all the comment permalinks).

Here’s a snippet of the original article:

comment image

Here’s the same snippet of the new, imported version:

comment image

The right solution is to get a fix for the miserable, buggy tool, and then re-import the articles.

A quicker workaround, which would improve the formatting in most cases, is to style the <br; tag to add some extra vertical space, like this:

br {line-height:175%;}

Here’s a tiny test page which demonstrates the effect of that workaround:

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
June 10, 2018 1:06 am

Sigh. I wish editing weren’t disabled for comments that get kicked into moderation.

Reply to  Willis Eschenbach
June 11, 2018 2:15 pm

My thanks to Anthony, who I had emailed about this matter prior to posting here. It seems my emails never arrived at his end … grrr. Go figure. He’s got a lot of folks who are trying to attack the system, trying to overload his emails, and the like. How he puts up with it I don’t know … in any case, he’s working on the problem, as he works on every problem, without complaint and without rest.

Anthony roolz!

w.

J Mac
June 9, 2018 3:56 pm

Justify is justified! Triple Crown Winner!!!

Tom in Florida
Reply to  J Mac
June 10, 2018 5:39 am

Great win, great horse but he still would have lost to Secretariat by 12 lengths.

June 9, 2018 4:00 pm

Not that it’s related to the comment section changes but….Wattsupwith spellcheck and heliosphere??? Why is heliosphere flagged as an incorrect spelling by PCs? Does Microsoft/IBM prefer that the word heliosphere not exist? Izzit some kind of spellcheck conspiracy? I have to “add to dictionary” every new or different device I use. It’s becoming a routine set-up step. lol.

Toto
June 9, 2018 4:33 pm

Being able to ‘+’ a comment is a good thing, I guess.

Being able to ‘-‘ a comment is a bad thing, I’m pretty sure.

Take YouTube for example, people vote thumbs up. I’m not sure how useful that is, but if it makes them feel good… And then there are always a few that vote thumbs down, and everybody else wonders what is wrong with those people, why did they do that?

If you want to have plus and minus, you should also keep track of how each user votes, how many plusses and minuses he/she/it gives. I’m sure there are positive people and negative people.

Evan Jones
June 9, 2018 4:47 pm

Here’s one. Trump leaves the G7 meeting early in order to skip the climate change part.

MAGA Liberals Unite! You have nothing to lose but the wrong side of history.

P.S.: Wow! Votes! Edits! Way to go, Terrible Tony!

Evan Jones
Reply to  Evan Jones
June 9, 2018 4:52 pm

REPLY testing. Testing 1-2-3.

June 9, 2018 4:50 pm

Just testing the imbed or whatever it is called:

Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 10, 2018 1:19 am

You got YouTube videos to work! How did you do that?

And how does it differ from what Leo did, which didn’t work?

(Please post your youtube URL with extra blanks inserted.)

Leo Smith
Reply to  Dave Burton
June 10, 2018 3:33 am
Roger Knights
June 9, 2018 4:52 pm

I like the “notify of new replies to this comment” bell-shaped button on the Reply form.

I’d like a “contact Moderators” button, so users could report double-posts or the really heinous or violence-advocating comments that sometimes slip through. In the past I’ve had to report these by email to Anthony after they were up for over a day. There are likely other reasons for alerting the moderators too, which I’ll think of 5 minutes after hitting Post Comment.

I’d like to see the Archives & Search Categories & Rick Werme’s Guide buttons moved up from way down to right under the Search box near the top. These would be much friendlier to visiting newbies and journalists, and forestall many ignorant comments by warmists who haven’t searched the site for threads on the topic they’re commenting on.

I don’t see the yellow background for new comments, which I think would be a wonderful feature. (I have the Mac mini’s 11.1 version of Safari.)

J Mac
June 9, 2018 5:01 pm

+++ Edit function!
+++ Disabled ‘Read More’ limits!
– Still haven’t been able to insert images or videos, even with https: ???

J Mac
Reply to  J Mac
June 9, 2018 5:11 pm

Hmmmm….. The 2nd attempt to embed the Get Smart video above worked. I had to use the Embed function in ‘Share’ below the video, copy the Embed Video iframe script, paste the iframe script into the WUWT comment field, post the comment which gave me this:
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw&w=560&h=315%5D

J Mac
Reply to  J Mac
June 9, 2018 5:15 pm

I hit the Edit button, deleted the [youtube prefix, and hit Post Comment again, which gave me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw&w=560&h=315%5D

When the video still did not display, I hit the Refresh Page icon on my browser and ‘viola’ the video finally displayed.

Reply to  J Mac
June 9, 2018 5:23 pm

My embed above, all I did was paste the url from Youtube, as per usual.
Just like old times……..????

J Mac
Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 9, 2018 5:39 pm

U.K.(us)
Do you see the video below…. or just the url?

Reply to  J Mac
June 9, 2018 5:48 pm

Just the url.
I went to YouTube and copied the url.
Here is my paste of the url:

Reply to  J Mac
June 9, 2018 6:06 pm

FWIW, J Mac, when I hit “post comment” it came up as an url, then I hit refresh and the video came up. (my video not yours)
Don’t know if it was some kinda delay or if the refresh worked…… aren’t f’n computers fun !!

J Mac
Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 9, 2018 8:27 pm

u.k.(us),
Who said “Ya can’t teach old dogs new tricks!” never had to live through the birth of the computer age!

It’s been a long road from using the ‘steno pool’, to Wang word processors, to little Apple IIc cube computers with 5.5 inch floppy (truly ‘floppy’) drives. Then 286/386/486 chipped contraptions with ‘turbo’ boost, and the rudimentary start of the DARPA net that grew into the still expanding internet of today…. Whew! We were there, using it!

Learning Basic, Fortran, CNC, and pieces of other programming, Excel spreadsheets, CAD/Stress analyses programs, manufacturing planning, fixtures/tooling/detail/assembly inventory and queuing control, ‘what if’ analyses, design for manufacturing and assembly, defect trend analyses and process optimization/QC, ….. all kinds of stuff, and it never ends!

WUWT continues the trend as yet another learning resource. God Bless Anthony Watts and all of the great folks that post such interesting articles and enlightening comments here!

After all that, a pesky ‘insert image/video’ glitch is truly small potatoes!

fonzie
Reply to  J Mac
June 9, 2018 10:10 pm

Mac, the deeper we get into this internet thing, the more the amish make sense…

Reply to  J Mac
June 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Just testing:

gnomish
Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 9, 2018 10:20 pm

apparently the bbs software recognizes youtube as a youtube url but it doesn’t recognize youtu.be as a youtube vid url.

Leo Smith
Reply to  gnomish
June 10, 2018 3:42 am

cant get it to work even with youtube.com

richard
June 9, 2018 5:01 pm

has anyone see the price of carrots lately.

fonzie
Reply to  richard
June 9, 2018 10:12 pm

(no, but i’ll ask bugs bunny the next time i see him)…

papertiger
June 9, 2018 5:22 pm

Looks like a big bunch of thought and effort went into this final product. There’s a lot of information.

Can it be improved? If you install a water cooler and a cup dispenser.

June 9, 2018 5:29 pm

This is a open thread, so let’s try a graphic.
This one is handy, in https protocol.
Boston SLR showing no acceleration, and demonstrating the moon’s nodal precession.
(click to embiggen)
kewl.

steve case
June 9, 2018 5:32 pm

OK, I’m gonna use https instead of http to post my image, here goes:

steve case
Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 5:33 pm

still doesn’t work )-:

Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 5:45 pm

There seems to be something seriously wrong with TinyPic.
We have several examples of the form:

htpps://oi67.tinypic.com/XYZZY.jpg

and *none* of them load.
If you grab the url and load it in another browser window, that fails too,

[ edited to htpp: http://oi67.tinypic.com/XYZZY.jpg .mod]

[both wrong. https not htpps – Tinypic doesn’t support https – Anthony]

Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 7:19 pm

*groan*
People are taking TinyPic http: urls and editing them to make https: urls?????
No wonder they fail.

steve case
Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 8:08 pm

They didn’t work as is, so what do you suggest trying? Groan all you want, apparently I’m going to have to find a image hosting site that provides the https format, and I’m not happy about that.

Maybe someone has a list of those sites that will post images here.

jaymam
Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 10:52 pm

Your pictures from Facebook will work. Just put &xxx=foo.jpg at the end, as suggested in tips & notes

John F. Hultquist
June 9, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the improvements, warnings, and adjustments.
To A. W. and all others that helped.

I never expected all issues to be solved in one shot.
Job well done, I think.

John P Schneider
June 9, 2018 5:41 pm

I tend to be suspicious of change. but in this case, I have only pros:
1) Editing is so wonderful! When this started, comments went through moderators – and I couldn’t see what I had goofed up. That seems to be fixed.
2) Rating of comments. I love it.
3) Hiding long comments. If I want more, I can open it. Otherwise, I can quickly scan for comments of interest to me.
Good job!

June 9, 2018 5:58 pm

So far, so good.
A YouTube video

This is just the way things seem to go around here sometimes.
The Curly Shuffle.

It is also an excellent *qualitative* description of my revolutionary climate data handling treatment which I have named Pasteurization.

OK, no joy for me.
Any hints on what the magic incantation is??????

Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 6:16 pm

Windoze 10 🙂

Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 9, 2018 8:40 pm

That is *not* the incantation to embed a video.
It is a demonic spell to summon the *Devil* himself.

J Mac
Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 8:42 pm

*groan*…… no wonder they fail!
A little humble pie might help… and constructive feedback, perhaps?

u.k.(us) and I have been trading comments on this topic (above). No definitive solution but a couple of things that work, after a fashion.

Reply to  J Mac
June 10, 2018 1:45 am

Weird that italics are in a shrunken font. Seems like a minor bug.

fonzie
Reply to  Dave Burton
June 10, 2018 10:11 am

Dave, Anthony got rid of the smaller text, but apparently that didn’t carry over to italics and bold…

Jeff
June 9, 2018 5:58 pm

You really need Preview, formatting tabs, easy quoting.

comment image

This is from JoNova’s website.
Most forums have these basics.

Jeff
Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 8:35 pm

JoNova’s site is just like yours – a blog with comments.
Sorry that link was JoNova’s homepage with a summary of the latest posts.
Just like your homepage.
Here is the latest post with all the forum comments below it.

InterZonKomizar
June 9, 2018 6:19 pm

I like the new style and function. I would like better if:
1. Author name font size at least same as comment. No squint.
2. Author name not show up in subscription. Should.
Sandy,
Minister of Future

June 9, 2018 6:20 pm

The changes noted in Updates are very helpful.

Carbon Bigfoot
June 9, 2018 6:23 pm

Why do I have to re-insert my name and email every time I post a comment? PITA

RACookPE1978
Reply to  Carbon Bigfoot
June 9, 2018 6:46 pm

Hmmn. My name repeats for each comment.

J Mac
Reply to  Carbon Bigfoot
June 9, 2018 8:48 pm

CB,
Try clearing your browser cache (cookies, etc, et.al.), restart, post a new comment with your name/email, wait a bit, and see if it corrects the problem….

Jeff
June 9, 2018 6:25 pm

Here is another forum with good formatting options.

comment image

It also has a “reply with quote” button which is very useful.

A forum I use allows you to highlight some text in a comment you want to reply to,
and it creates a reply with quote button of the selected text.
That is a big time saver.

Jeff
Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 8:44 pm

JoNova’s site is her blog with comments below, exactly like yours.

It says “Site by Openwire
Powered by WordPress & Atahualpa’
on her blog

Just trying to give constructive criticism.

Reply to  Jeff
June 9, 2018 7:16 pm

Jeff, I think you’re trying to help but, as Anthony said, this is a blog and not a forum. Different software. And, I think different companies (such as WordPress) that offer to host Blogs have their own software with differing built in options.

Jeff
Reply to  Gunga Din
June 9, 2018 8:47 pm

This blog is one best and most read blogs in the world.
But I think the comment system still has room for improvement.
It says “Site by Openwire
Powered by WordPress & Atahualpa”
on her blog

RACookPE1978
June 9, 2018 6:34 pm

Hmmn. “Join the Discussion” block is now at the top of the page. Could be useful.

A recommendation, please. Add a sequential “comment number” (Reply_ID_nbr) for each reply in each thread. It will make references explicit when a person is commenting about an earlier reply, even if the two/three/four/six/sixteen replies and feedbacks are separated by days, minutes, or hours. Thus, these words are 117. Referenced later as 117.

RACookPE1978

Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 6:48 pm

Bummer.

Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 7:30 pm

Anthony
Nice job on the font size for threaded comments.
Is italic still in the old font size?
We can check bold.

Stupid computers!

Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 7:32 pm

Cool!
A “streamlined” CTRL-F.

RACookPE1978
Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 9, 2018 9:56 pm

Anthony Watts

I purchased and added a plugin that allows users to search comments, see it at the top with the primary post a comment box.

What was the price of the plug-in? Do you need a donation to cover it?

Jeff
June 9, 2018 6:57 pm

Yes numbering of comments,
icons and profile of commenters (with link to profile page)
is really good.

June 9, 2018 7:06 pm

Posting this at the top level, too, about the “problem” with image embedding – the reference is to Robert Kernodle’s comment at 5:23 PM on June 9.

Here’s the reason: A lot of these “images” are not actually images – i.e., they are really links to web pages, not a specific file. Try whatever your browser has for “open link in new window/tab” on Robert’s “comment image” above. You end up on a DropBox web page that drags in a whole bunch of other things, not just a JPEG file. Which WordPress (rightly) rejects – that is a very big security hole.

EDIT: Just tried a couple of things that sometimes work around this issue – no joy. Sigh… I really don’t see a solution for this, other than saving the image file yourself, then copying it somewhere that is a secured site AND actually saves it as just a file.

Leon Brozyna
June 9, 2018 7:11 pm

Faster it is loading; like it I do.

chrisretusn
June 9, 2018 7:27 pm

I do not post much, so can’t really comment much on this part, aside from dropping that ‘read more’ button, plus 1 on that, I like reading the comments. I think the overall look and feel of the site has improved. I appears there are more articles on the first page, could be me, but I like that.

This is my goto site for all things climate and then some. Clearly the reason your site is number one. Your site earned a spot on my cell phones home screen. I also subscribe to the RSS feed on my cell phone and desktop. I quite often share articles. The best part is a few of my friends have actually started to question the status quo thanks to this site. Keep up the good work, many thanks or as they say here maraming salamat po.

RPT
June 9, 2018 7:32 pm

Anthony

Probably not the right time to ask for this, but for a long time I have been missing an app for my iPhone.

But thanks for the option to correct; I always make typhos and omissions, have done since the wonderful experience of writing on an IBM typewriter with correction backspace based on sticky tape.

Any chance?

RPT
Reply to  RPT
June 9, 2018 7:42 pm

Just tried to vote down myself, wasn’t allowed, to scared to try it on Nick S below; don’t want to start a major thread. But I tested the editing and it works, thank you!

But will we be allowed to vote down Nick in the future, or does this function not work?

steve case
June 9, 2018 7:50 pm

Trying to post an image again:

Hope it doesn’t screw things up, I copied some html from the source page code.

[404 (file missing) displayed on preview. .mod]

steve case
Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 7:53 pm

I have no idea how to post an image the https instead of http doesn’t seem to do it or I don’t really know what I’m supposed to do. A link to detailed instruction would be great.

Reply to  steve case
June 9, 2018 8:08 pm

TinyPic is still using the http: protocol, as far as I know. That will not work here. Editing the url to https: does not work.
I switched over to PostImage which *does* support the https: protocol.
It seems to work fine, same as always.
No sign-up, no login, no account setup needed
Upload your image, hit the “share” button to get the url. Give it a try.

That Boston SLR graph I put up is hosted on PostImage.
Just use your favorite search engine on “postimage”, it will pop right up.

Jeff
Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 8:27 pm

Photobucket also works for me by editing link to https.
Fiddly though.

steve case
Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 8:43 pm

OK, let’s see if PostImage works:

Thanks Tony

June 9, 2018 8:18 pm

Site looks great, extra functionality really nice. One gripe: I can’t work out how to post as a logged-in wordpress user now. I was doing that on the old site because some time back some loser posted many hostile, nasty comments with MY signature on the bottom, and got me banned for a while until it got sorted out. I had told the moderators that I would always post as a logged in user so that they could easily tell which comments were from the real me. I think I am vulnerable to the bottom feeders again.

Joel O'Bryan
June 9, 2018 8:25 pm

Everything looks great Anthony.

Thanks for keeping this site alive and thriving.

Mark Freeman
June 9, 2018 8:55 pm

I like the new ‘Bookmarks’ section. Any chance the listed links could be marked with the date they were last updated? This would make easier to find updates, especially for the sites that update infrequently.

eyesonu
Reply to  Mark Freeman
June 9, 2018 9:43 pm

“the new ‘Bookmarks’ section”?

———

Please enlighten me.

Mark Freeman
Reply to  eyesonu
June 10, 2018 1:31 pm

New in the sense they are listed in alphabetical order now and aren’t broken down into categories like ‘Skeptical Views’ , ‘Lukewarmers’ , etc.

Warren
June 9, 2018 9:00 pm

Would someone be kind enough to let us know if AndyG55 is still with us?
Thanks in advance . . .

Warren
Reply to  Warren
June 9, 2018 9:12 pm

I’ll answer my own question . . . both AndyG55 and Griff (also missed) are frequenting other blogs. How can we get them back? Perhaps we need to start a petition??

fonzie
Reply to  Warren
June 10, 2018 10:27 am

(+1 for andy, -1 for griff; no net change… ☺)

petermue
June 9, 2018 10:09 pm

I’m missing the notification line on top of the screen, where I can see notices about replies to my comments, login to WP, and other stuff.
However, I can deal with it if there’s no alternative.

Good work, Anthony! Thumbs up!

Robber
June 9, 2018 10:19 pm

Testing, Testing, Edit Testing.

Robber
June 9, 2018 10:27 pm

Testing, first time I tried it didn’t post.

Jarryd
June 9, 2018 10:30 pm

There is some plugin installed that causes each post to be truncated with a “read more” link on the android mobile app. It’s really annoying.

Håkan
June 9, 2018 11:09 pm

The Menu works better now on iPhone. The links in the menu used to become unvisible after the first time they were used, that corrected now. The Arctic temp diagram is updated every day, previpusly I had to click on the link under the diagram to be able to see the updated version.

June 9, 2018 11:14 pm

I am going to beat on the YouTube video problem and see what happens.
The Curly Shuffle:

Still no joy.
u.k.(us) and J Mac have been going at it hard. This current attempt is what J Mac came up with as a work-around. It fails here.

Video embed success seems random and sporadic. It fails a lot more often than it succeeds.
Whatever else we can say,
it does not work as advertised.
So this issue needs work.

Reply to  TonyL
June 9, 2018 11:58 pm
michel
June 10, 2018 12:17 am

This was my main irritation with the new layout. Other than that its excellent. And really, very well done to have got the move done with so little disruption. Some was inevitable in a project of this size, but on balance it has gone very well considering the complexity.

Well, just one reservation, for a couple of days there was an endlessly flickering gif or something on the right hand side in the ads, which I found completely infuriating. But it was a one-off, so no big deal.

See - owe to Rich
June 10, 2018 1:20 am

Anthony, many thanks for this new thread on the subject and for making changes as a result of feedback. Your 1st and 3rd updates removed my last niggles about the system, so I am about to vote in favour.

Rich.

June 10, 2018 2:44 am

Can’t read it in the WordPress app. Why not??

Trevor
June 10, 2018 2:50 am

“I can’t move the posiion of the main comment form, currently at the top of comments.”
QUESTION for ANTHONY : Is a posiion (sic) some sort of quark ??
CONCLUSION & QUOTE : “You STILL NEED A POOF READER !!”

Reply to  Trevor
June 10, 2018 6:36 am

A posiion is a cation made out of antimatter.
Allow me to explain:
A common anion is Cl-, commonly called chloride.
When the Cl is made out of antimatter, the charges are reversed, so you get Cl+.
we call it a posiion because the term cation is reserved for positivly charged species made out of conventional matter.

As a safety concern, one must use care when working with multiple gram quantities of antimatter in the chemistry lab. Because of the propensity of antimatter annihilating when in contact with matter, you want to keep them separate. A multiple gram matter-antimatter annihilation would release enough energy to completely destroy the planet, so you do want to be careful.

Leo Smith
June 10, 2018 3:47 am

Niggles still left.
font color in poster name is rather vile
italics and bolds are in small font on replies

Videos don’t work except by some magic when they do.

2hotel9
June 10, 2018 5:07 am

A little bumpy to start, running pretty smooth now. Some of the issues people seem to have may come from screen size. I use laptop, 13 1/2×7 1/2, running Firefox, so comments and replies were same size print. The nesting of replies takes a bit of getting used to, although it is how many other page’s comments are formatted so not that big a deal. The home page looks great and everything certainly loads faster now. Have not doodled with the new stuff, other than edit(fast typing leads to mistakes!). Just miss gravatars, Jelical is quite cross her shining face is not getting as much display as it used to.

Luc Ozade
June 10, 2018 5:39 am

I don’t know if it has anything to do with the new site but I am still receiving duplicate emails of every (WUWT) email I receive.

At first I wasn’t receiving any emails – they just stopped. Then when I asked on here, Anthony advised me to subscribe again, as the old subscriptions weren’t brought across to the new site automatically, so I did. Now I get two of everything. Help.

N. Jensen
June 10, 2018 5:51 am

The size of the fonts are too small for my tired old eyes !

Can anything be done ?

Reply to  N. Jensen
June 10, 2018 6:20 am

Help us out, list your hardware/platform, browser, and operating system.
WUWT has a huge reader base, somebody is almost sure to have a fix for you.

anna vayaki
June 10, 2018 6:02 am

This is a test. I am able to see this new site in Firefox right-clicking for a “new private window” . Chrome loads OK, but I am used to Firefox.

Philip Mulholland
June 10, 2018 6:15 am

Anthony,

I am not sure how to link directly to comments any more.

I can grab the URL from the recent comments list, (which is what I did here via editing) but not from the historic thread.

OK ignore this comment I found the URL in the link symbol.

Sandy
June 10, 2018 6:31 am

I would like to see a status bar that often appears on the right side of the screen when reading articles, books, etc. I would like to know how far into an article or comment I am and how much longer I would have to stay with it to finish.

Roy Banks
June 10, 2018 6:42 am

When I use the “Read More” buttons in the comments section of each article, it doesn’t work so I can’t read the extra words.

Joe Born
June 10, 2018 6:55 am

The name field correctly fills in automatically as “Joe Born” for me, but it appears as “jhborn” when I post. And in all my past posts “Joe Born” has been replaced with “jhborn.” The latter is the user name I had to take out for WordPress in order to comment on another site. My “display name” for WordPress is “Joe Born.” It works at Judith Curry’s site but not here.

Laurence Clark Crossen
June 10, 2018 7:38 am

Watts: Hasn’t anyone critiqued McMichael’s version of the Goldilocks principle in climate change where warming and cooling are equally harmful for health? See his book, Climate Change and the Health of Nations. This is obviously a retreat for AGW but still far from the truth. He gives rare examples of warming harming health and cooling benefiting health as if they were typical (e.g. sleeping sickness p. 211).

sophocles
June 10, 2018 7:57 am

The first time I saw the new format/layout I was wowed. It also had a sans-serifed font which, IMHO made it look cleaner and better. I see you’ve fixed that [grin]

June 10, 2018 8:31 am

My second test of just pasting a url from YouTube, checking for consistency.

Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 10, 2018 9:08 am

Join the club.

Toto
June 10, 2018 12:17 pm

My comment against the voting buttons is currently -2. So somebody likes them. If you do have them, it would be better if the counts for + and – were separate. And even better, if you could see the user names of who voted each way. And even better, if there were categories beyond + and – , for example TL;DR and Troll! and +1000 and Idiot! and Genius! and Fascist! and whatever else those voters really meant by + and –
If users take the trouble to say what they think in words, that’s even better.

AndyHce
June 10, 2018 12:54 pm

It has always been necessary to provide a password in order for any of my comments to get processed.
Name and email were entered below the comment, as here, then after the Post Comment button another page appeared demanding the password.
The few posts I made since the change don’t request a password. Is the email address acting as a password in this new version or can just anyone post under my name?

June 10, 2018 1:00 pm

OK, my success rate of embedding a YouTube video has been running at about 50%.
Here is my latest attempt, I just copied and pasted the url:

June 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Last test, I promise.

eyesonu
June 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Attempt to copy “weather picture of the day” from WUWT side bar. Pic should be IR photo of underside of cloud. Using copy/paste of actual link to pic.

comment image?w=717&h=576&crop=1

eyesonu
Reply to  eyesonu
June 10, 2018 1:38 pm

successful posting ………. this pic will show again in another future comment elsewhere when discussion warrants. I’ve been looking at it for quite some time. Need to have actual visible image to go with it. There may be some answers in that pic.

Reply to  eyesonu
June 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Ya might want to delve deeper and ask why the answers are somehow hidden ?

eyesonu
Reply to  u.k.(us)
June 10, 2018 6:12 pm

They may be in plain sight.

Reply to  eyesonu
June 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Kinda wish I could see it, but I just can’t ??

P Pearson
June 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Javascript and security: When my browser loads this page, your server asks it to run javascripts from youtube.com, google.com, polldaddy.com, gaug.es, wp.com, pubmine.com, newsmaxfeednetwork.com, doubleclick.net, netdna-ssl.com, and wattsupwiththat.com. Being moderately concerned about computer security, I’m reluctant to let some of those domains (the ones about which I know nothing) run arbitrary javascripts on my computer, so I find myself viewing your pages in a somewhat degraded mode, as presumably do other cautious visitors. I know this is a lot to ask, but I don’t really see a practical alternative: Could you reduce your javascript requirements to a small-enough set of trustworthy-enough domains that you could say to your visitors, “I promise that no javascript loaded from any of these domains will turn out to be malicious”? (And if you can’t do that, then just what sort of risks are you expecting your visitors to take?

Philip Mulholland
June 10, 2018 11:04 pm

On Jo Nova’s site the voting process keeps track of both +ve and -ve (red thumb) votes. I think that Jo has a much better way of displaying voting.

Here it appears that just the total effect of all the votes is shown. So 10 votes in favour and 10 votes against gives a total score of zero and it seems that the comment is being ignored. Suggest that you try Jo’s way of displaying votes.

It looks like I can vote twice in either direction (up or down) for a comment before the system stops me.

Leo Smith
June 11, 2018 12:08 am

Took about 5 minutes to load the page…under attack again?

Reply to  Anthony Watts
June 13, 2018 10:57 am

Testing:

Roger Knights
June 11, 2018 1:31 am

I wish there were a way to browse through all my old comments—and also those of others. Some sites, such as Seeking Alpha, provide this feature.

ozspeaksup
June 11, 2018 5:27 am

and you got the ENSO chart back;_0
happy even though its going the wrong way just now for aussies

Old Englander
June 11, 2018 7:32 am

I find your “new cloud service” has been so slow this week as to be virtually unusable. No improvements in comment threads etc have any value if it becomes so painful to access an article in the first place. I often glance at WUWT in between other tasks and chores. Will give it time, but way too slow to do this right now.

Do others have this experience (since the change) ? Note other websites I browse regularly are unaffected.

Nylo
June 11, 2018 9:05 am

Not sure how much it is related to the latest plugins added, but right now from the moment I click on an article or any WUWT link till the moment it actually starts displaying (loading?) the page I have to wait more than 30 seconds. It is very frustrating. And is is not my browser, I am using Chrome and this doesn’t happen with pages outside WUWT.

Edit: and… it did it again when clicking the post comment button. 20 seconds this time.

Hocus Locus
June 11, 2018 11:36 am

EDIT; Editing is nice too. 😉

Great praise for nixing ‘read more’. I’d like to bring up another reason it should be avoided. Every WUWT article is a lecture — but after a good bit of slinging in the comments (sometimes mud but often gold with great references) an WUWT article can collectively approach thesis level. I save these gestalts to disk with their inline images. The ability to archive whole articles with all comments is precious. I have some 500+ articles on disk, They are among the most valuable things I’ve ever saved.

If I turn off the Internet and load one of these saved pages locally — menus and things are awry but the essence content and comment, is all there. I’ve posted non sequitir in comments before thanking Anthony for maintaining quality ‘static’ pages before, ever with a sense of foreboding. I muse privately “Some day someone will force him to ‘upgrade’ to some flypaper abortion.”

What do I consider flypaper? It is when user content gets hidden abominations like ‘read more’ and becomes statically ABSENT. And this comment system is the worst. Oh it’s the very best if you are happy go lucky flipping this or that open on a dumbphone, and if anyone ever asks, what would you do if you lose connectivity or the site disappears from the net, what would you be left with, you whistle loudly and stop your ears. It’s so very clever it will not even retrieve the rest of every single comment from the net unless you express interest in that comment. Does that sound like a good thing? It is a horrible thing.

If you are an archivist like me, you’re positively paranoid about it. I save articles preserving your titles adding my own keywords. And when the new came along my worst fears were confirmed. Saving a WUWT page to disk with that ‘read more’ stuff only saves the stubs of comments of course, and what you take away to view locally is something cruel and pointless.

Some systems actually stream the hidden information inline but flagged as hidden with a functional ‘unhide’ button that may or may not work when viewed offline. This system is worse, it is just not there. But I’ll admit it’s clever. But still bad. Clever people make up bad things too, unintended consequences.

But I’m happy to say that with ‘read more’ gone, Paging repeatedly until the whole is loaded then saving yields a viewable offline copy. I and the future generations who will inherit my saved archive (post-apocalypse) thank you.

Leon Brozyna
June 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Anthony/
Thanks for removing that plugin. Here I was thinking it was my machine throwing a fit so I take a break for lunch, come back a bit later and it’s like a new machine all over again.

Eyal
June 13, 2018 12:10 am

Sorry, could not find any faults 🙂
Much better platform now, also loads faster (for me, anyhow).
Still the best topical site in the world.

Sasha
June 13, 2018 12:21 pm

A lot of linked images have disappeared.
For example
Instead of images there is Figure 1, Figure 2, etc.
When is this going to be fixed?

Hugs
June 14, 2018 11:32 am

The ‘proudly powered’ ‘tooltip’ at the bottom behaves badly. Jumps up, slides down, repeat, while scrolling. Using a slow tablet with enlarged fonts. I guess the float there has some .js deintelligence tha breaks it. Annoying as h, though doesn’t prevent reading.

Hugs
June 15, 2018 12:00 pm

“We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on WUWT. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. This notice is required by recently enacted EU GDPR rules, and since WUWT is a globally read website, we need to keep the bureaucrats off our case!”

The law, as far as I can tell, the law does not require a sticky component. I’m sure people would rather see a small box on the banner rather than a floating window-like creature which obscures reading until it has been clicked away. Sticky things that steal vertical pixel capacity of wide but not high displays are a nuisance of the greatest degree.