Bernie Sanders and Bill Nye have given a joint presentation on climate. In my opinion their presentation more than anything demonstrates how out of touch they are with ordinary people.
- Bill Nye wants to convince President Trump renewables make economic sense.
- Bill Nye thinks Fox News Anchors “know better” about climate change – he thinks prominent skeptics are lying about their true position on climate change.
- Some nonsense about Tobacco
- “If we can get these people to look at it more closely, they’ll be on the side of renewables.”
- If we ignore climate, we’ll build seawalls – the developing world doesn’t have the resources to build seawalls.
- “When the ocean comes in, they’re just going to leave. They’re going to default on their mortgages, and there’s going to be all this copper and infrastructure just sitting there”.
- Climate change is causing terrorism – “a lot of the problems in the middle east are displaced young men who don’t want to work the family farm anymore, because the family farm isn’t doing so well anymore, so they go to the cities, can’t find jobs, and get involved in terrorism”.
- Wants “deniers” to think about “cognitive dissonance”.
- “Instead of accepting the client is changing, you’re denying the evidence, and denying the authorities”
- “Deniers” are suffering from the “backfire effect” – apparently when we hear a nasty rattle from the car engine we ignore it, because we think everything will be fine.
- “Its not just that the world has too many people, we’re not using our resources as well as we could.”
- Sanders: “Give me some examples of the fossil fuel industry, in maintaining this thing is not real”.
- Bill Nye doesn’t answer the question, talks about how big the Canadian Tar Sands mining industry is.
- Bill Nye thinks oil majors will get even richer if they invest in renewables.
- “If you put in double or triple glazing, you will save a lot of money, for free”
- Nye talking about how he drives a Chevy Bolt – wants to electrify all ground transportation. Chevy Bolt is affordable, because it only costs $40,000
- Nye talking about how every roof should be covered in solar panels – “its not that hard to create a grid which can accept that energy”.
- Nye thinks some engineer should just create a better battery. “Its not that hard”.
- Once the [wind] turbine is up, its free, in a sense.
- Thinks exhaust from coal plants kills more birds than wind turbines. “We can solve this problem”.
- “Distributing electricity is like a mobile phone – as you drive, your call is handed from tower to tower.”
- Sanders: What are the technologies of the future? “I don’t know what the next innovation is going to be”.
- “Solar panels will become cheaper by not wasting as much silicon”
- “In 30 years we could be 100% renewable. The thing about nuclear plants … people don’t want it around”
- Nye is hoping the discovery of life on another world will unite humanity – hopes space exploration will restore faith in scientists
- Some stuff about the danger of an impact from an Asteroid, and a need to find a way to protect the world from such threats, that I actually agree with.
- Nye thinks renewables will improve quality of life worldwide, and help to prevent terrorism.
Why do I think Nye and Sanders (who as far as I can recall didn’t challenge Nye on anything) are out of touch? The answer is the ridiculous comments they made that all people need to do is come up with $40,000 to buy an electric car, and whatever it costs (likely 10s of thousands) to double glaze their homes, to make the world a better place.
Everyone can afford that, right?