Climate Craziness of the Week – Shake and Bake

SEE UPDATE below the “Continue reading” line.

In my town we have a contingent of crazies, just like most towns. I didn’t realize just how crazy some are until I read this letter to the editor in the Chico Enterprise Record.

This is what we are up against. I kid you not, this guy says earthquakes are a “real and genuine menace” related to global warming.

Source here

I may have to move.

=======================================================

UPDATE: My local newspaper editor writes to me to say that Mr. Campbell was invoking sarcasm, and cites a couple of other similar letters to the editor Mr. Campbell has written in the past. He also says “I agree that sarcasm is hard to detect in print. A common mistake.

I thought about that possibility of it being sarcasm, so I read it several times before posting on this. I could not detect a hint of sarcasm. Maybe my sarcasm sniffer is busted from reading so many outlandish claims about AGW effects. One only has to peruse the master MSM referenced warmlist here to see what I’m talking about. Note that earthquakes, earthquakes redux are on that list. Apologies to Mr. Campbell, but also forgive me, because I’ve seen even more outlandish things (like bridge collapse due to AGW, debunked here) that I can count in my tenure as a blogger on AGW.

That’s the problem with sarcasm, it is not always obvious to the reader. Learning from experience I make sarcasm obvious now with either a blog post tag or the “sarc off” /sarc at the end of a sentence.

When we have dubious claims being posted daily about global warming effects and linkages in science journals and in the MSM, it’s hard to tell what is real and what is sarcasm anymore. Either way, this episode makes me laugh, and I hope readers get a  chuckle out of it too. – Anthony

0 0 votes
Editor
July 9, 2010 1:09 am

Shouldn’t that headline read “Fake and Bake”?
This Campbell induhvidual reminds me of some old yankee aphorisms about certain people being dumber than a bag of hammers.
Reply: I always liked the corollary. Dumber than a box of hair. ~ ctm

Chuckles
July 9, 2010 1:14 am

I don’t know Anthony, the logic is flawless –
And the lava you see coming out the volcanoes is the stuff that’s already melted completely. As it heats up, it expands and pushes it’s way through the surface.
The evidence is there, if you will only see it.
We’re doomed I tell you!!

July 9, 2010 1:15 am

He needs some soothing words from the Sir Muir Russell report team guy who doesn’t think any of it is worth getting worked up about.

899
July 9, 2010 1:19 am

Gee, I wonder what he thinks when it thunders and lightenings?

Lachlan
July 9, 2010 1:20 am

July 9, 2010 1:35 am

Here in Portugal, Media have claimed that the highest temperature in Portugal has been broken, looking at the drugstore’s outside thermometer, in the hottest portuguese town! The story went viral, and one reporter couldn’t even understand why the car thermometer was displaying 42, while the drugstore’s thermometer was reading 50ºC… BTW, the Meteorological Institute registered that the highest temperature for the day at the town, Amareleja, was indeed 42ºC. Makes us wonder that car thermometers are good at the job!
For those of the readers that understand Portuguese, you can see these silly-season pieces at the following links:
Ecotretas

July 9, 2010 1:39 am

I bet you sent that letter yourself to discredit climate scientists :=)

papertiger
July 9, 2010 1:52 am

If it’s earthquakes that are the problem, and global warming somehow causes their expression, then it stands to reason there must be a subterrainian mechanism in play. A lubricant perhaps. Something which becomes more viscuos when subjected to a half a degree of extra warmth.
I can only think of one thing like that. Oil.
In order to save Chico from the anthropogenic earthquake we have to extract the lubricant.
There’s no time to waste.

Bob Layson
July 9, 2010 1:55 am

Come, come Anthony. Are you saying that the recent spate of earthquakes is just part of natural variation in activity? Next thing you’ll being saying the same about the recent teperature record. But wait, you are – and so you should.

Alex the skeptic
July 9, 2010 1:58 am

I bet that this earthquake theory is ‘peer’-reviewed and in a few weeks time will find itself quoted in some Pachauri report. Then it will be debunked and later we will have a committee or four whitewashing Pachauri’s report, or CRU or EAU or some other warmist pump action machine.

Alex the skeptic
July 9, 2010 2:01 am

Where I live, one chap ( or was it a woman?) wrote a letter to the editor asking our authorities to ban farmers’ greenhouses so as to avoid global warming. I assure you that this is true.

Rick Bradford
July 9, 2010 2:02 am

The mechanism seems quite straightforward. As the earth heats up, it expands, so there isn’t enough, er, earth to go around, so holes develop allowing earthquakes to happen. Can I have some IPCC funding, please?

Richard111
July 9, 2010 2:03 am

“Awake before it is too late.”
A refrain I have heard many times before.
I have a stock answer but it would be snipped. 🙂

July 9, 2010 2:03 am

Oh don’t laugh. After the rain, out comes the slugs – and sure enough today there is a crop of “global warming could …. ” articles.
Fortunately, following climategate, the climate for global warming hysteria is now very hostile and I suspect the nut-case papers that run these stories will be met with a mix of indignant boredom and downright hostility from readers who now know they are being take for a ride.

Alex the skeptic
July 9, 2010 2:06 am

And this earthquake science is surely settled while surley there must be a consensus and the government will be imposing another tax on CO2 to avoid earthquakes and tsunamis.
Really, if it wasn’t for the great economic and social harm that this big lie is causing, it would be sooooooooooo funny.

Mick J
July 9, 2010 2:07 am

Always makes me chuckle when such pundits tell “us” to wake up when just having read something that is the work of the comatose. 🙂
Mick.

steveta_uk
July 9, 2010 2:12 am

Chuckles,
there’s a well known desert phenomena that sound like rifle shots in the evening, actually caused by the surface of rocks cooling and shrinking faster than the internal parts, and cracking under the strain.
So earthquakes are more like a sign that the earth is cooling!

M White
July 9, 2010 2:16 am

“Germany targets switch to 100% renewables for its electricity by 2050”
tips & notes causing me problems

Westerner
July 9, 2010 2:25 am

Surely Mr Campbell is being ironic.

Alan the Brit
July 9, 2010 2:34 am

Surely, “only in America”?
OT, attended the local Church Choir end of term party last night. Got talking to my Met Office co bass singer, he tells me that the BBC have renewed their weather forecasting contract, which is hardly surprising as the same type who run the Met Office run the BBC! AND it’s all funded by the taxpayer. Apparently there are moves to reduce pensions/salaries somewhere but I doubt it will happen somehow. The fellow, & a dear chap he really is, was also involved in research on the Icelandic volcano eruption flying around Britain, he once told me how amazing it was to watch the model projection of dust-cloud behaviour compared to reality! However, Willy Walsh of BA among many others was not as convinced as they found little dust in the engines & no damage at all!

KPO
July 9, 2010 2:37 am

I am certain that there are those among us who secretly welcome/desire some sort of biblical proportion catastrophe. I believe it serves to validate some deep seated belief that man is wicked and deserving of “the wrath of God”. Of course in their fantasy, they are miraculously “spared” as further proof of their devotion and a lesson to others. If it weren’t for the fact that a lot of folk are equally gullible, or in need of some “meaning” they would be for the most part – harmless. Perhaps a serious reality check, followed up by regular visits to the shrink could help, but hey, a plague or meteor strike sure helps fill an otherwise dull existence.

Grumbler
July 9, 2010 2:39 am

“Lachlan says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:20 am
Crazies are everywhere. A few months ago I saw a comment on an Australian web site, claiming that carbon pollution is another tool of male oppression, because women suffer more from Tsunamis. I’m not making that up.”
I’ve taught a bit of environmental ethics and a basic tenet that crops up a lot is that ‘mother’ earth is being ‘raped’ by man. Very definitely a male female thing. look up ‘Ecofeminism’.
cheers David

Dennis Mark Atkins
July 9, 2010 2:40 am

Just another doom and gloom clobal warming wacko and belongs in the brain dead file

AleaJactaEst
July 9, 2010 2:51 am

Delving deeper into the troubling story one came across the comments page and a posting by “Robert Rhodes” who agrees totally with the original post and who then links to this site where he claims to have made the predictions:
and I quote…”Ozonator….June 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm
I made the following AGW volcano predictions in this blog: “June 13, 2010 at 12:20 am … “1). Indonesia – PNG – Hawaii – Guatemala – Ecuador – Chile; 2). Alaska – Iceland – Italy; 3). Kenya – Reunion Island – Heard Island – New Zealand”. Making 4 (31%) correct out of 13, as of 6/16/10 under the 6/13 – 19/10 period, the 1st reporting by volcano.si.edu/reports/usgs (that may take up to 4 weeks for all to be reported): SAKURA-JIMA Kyushu; ULAWUN New Britain, PNG; BATU TARA Komba Island, Indonesia; BAGANA Bougainville, Solomon Islands, Melanesia; TUNGURAHUA Ecuador; and KILAUEA Hawaii….”
the rant (and if you visit the link you will see how he regularly goes off on one) continues.
Happenstance is that he chooses some of the most seismically active areas/volcanoes on the planet and links them to a successful predictive sequence.
I sigh in the thought that our purportedly 1st world education system is allowing adults (I make that presumption here) to enter the big wide world without the basic grounding of common sense or abstract questioning of our environment.

Frank Kotler
July 9, 2010 2:51 am

And don’t believe those stories from the anti-science brigade saying much bigger earthquakes have happened in the past. They’re funded by Big Magma!
(sad, that I have to say “/sarc”, isn’t it?)
Best,
Frank

George Tetley
July 9, 2010 2:57 am

Chico born.
Chico bred,
Strong in arm,
Thick in head.

J.Hansford
July 9, 2010 2:58 am

Aw…. That’s really depressing…. Many of my fellow human beings are imbeciles.
…an’ I had such high hopes fer em. But instead they think Gaia has a temperature and has got the shakes like some sort of malaria sufferer…… Sigh:-(

Daniel H
July 9, 2010 3:11 am

This is a very serious problem. Global warming induced earthquakes could easily hasten the eventual tipping over of Guam. Someone needs to alert Hank Johnson before it’s too late!

Shevva
July 9, 2010 3:11 am

Reply: I always liked the corollary. Dumber than a box of hair. ~ ctm
Or climate scientists as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

wayne
July 9, 2010 3:12 am

Chuckles says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:14 am
I don’t know Anthony, the logic is flawless –
The evidence is there, if you will only see it.
We’re doomed I tell you!!

I don’t know Chuckles, the logic is flawed –
The global cooling is going to cause the earth to cool and to shrink and become crinkled, which makes it much more prone to earthquakes, as the bits get pressured until they slip on each other.
And the lava you see coming out the volcanoes is the stuff that’s already melted completely from the current warm. As it the earth shrinks, the pressure pushes it through the surface.
The evidence is there, if you will only see it.
We’re doomed I tell you!! I told you warm was good!!
LOL!
/ sarc
Well which way is it? Neither? Both? Either? Where the most grants are?

Jeremy Thomas
July 9, 2010 3:21 am

When I lived in California in the late 80s/early 90s a local paper ascribed a long run of dry weather to El Nino.
Subsequently the same paper interviewed an irate local resident listed in the phone book as Al Nino. He was fed up with receiving phone calls from fellow Californians demanding he stopped messing with the weather.
Anthony may have found one of Mr. Nino’s callers.

Fitzy
July 9, 2010 3:25 am

Hell.
He wasn’t even tryin’.
How about – The global mass of Termites is increasing because of the improved global temperatures increasing hive growth rates. This bio mass is digging ever downwards, as it passes through various strata, it displaces mega tonnes of soil, rock, clay, sand, and stuff. This displaced mass causes minor tremors, which synchronise due to the lunar cycle, to create a world spanning harmonic. When discordant waves interpenetrate, they can cause earthquakes, tsunami’s, fire storms, geomagnetic plasma pulses, neutron dense magma bubbles and diary cow flatuence.
If mankind carries on his reckless use of FOI’s, termites will end all life on earth – in ten years.
Now thats how you string stupidity together to get a Russell Muir pass.

OG
July 9, 2010 3:34 am

“Can there still be any doubt…”
“Awake before it is too late!”
“Don’t doubt…”
–once in a while I still enjoy a good old fashioned pulpit-pounding, fire-and-brimstone sermon, but about faith, NOT about science.
The vocabulary of religion doesn’t belong anywhere near the subject of science.

Michael in Sydney
July 9, 2010 3:44 am

Well Mike G
“It is very unfortunate but this guy probably votes religiously. I think that sums it all up in a “NUT” shell on why we really are all doomed.”
Well Gollly!
I guess that as a long term poster to this forum and Christian I might as well give up because my religiosity will eventually lead to me becoming another stupid alarmist.
Thank goodness (or thank God) you pointed this out to me and all those others here who believe in a deity, that we didn’t waste our time questioning whether or not the theory of AGW was robust or not, as our religious inclinations would eventually lead us down the path of destruction.
Thank you Mike G for pointing out my fundamental flaw (‘fundamental’ in terms of my evangelicalism and ‘flaw’ in terms of my sin of not believing that there is no God).
You are a fool.
Kind regards
Michael Lynch
Mosman, Sydney, Australia.
PS.
Anthony I am so sick to death of these ignorant fools who believe that religious beliefs are anti-science.

Bill Marsh
July 9, 2010 3:50 am

I understand that an asteroid strike is also a disaster exacerbated by the ‘threat of Global Warming’ as well. After all, the last big one that did the Dinos occurred during a period of excessive global warmth, so don’t doubt global warming, Gaia is watching … and she is angry!!

Frank Lee MeiDere
July 9, 2010 3:51 am

This is hardly the first time I’ve heard/read that earthquakes and tsunamis are evidence of global warming. I get that, and worse, from my students (college), and the refrain of “wake up!” often accompanies it.
By the way, I won’t allow my students to write about global warming (a topic chosen by about 50% of them) unless they can tell me on the spot who Phil Jones, Michael Mann, and Steve McIntyre are, as well as what Climategate and the “hockey stick” graph are. So far, not a single student has been able to answer one of these questions.
But damn it — they sure do know that the planet is doomed through global warming, and that earthquakes and tsunamis are just two of the obvious signs.

July 9, 2010 3:59 am

Actually I think the guy is taking the piss, i.e. being sarcastic. The editor did not get it and accidently published the comment.

July 9, 2010 4:02 am

“c huckles says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:14 am
I don’t know Anthony, the logic is flawless –
The evidence is there, if you will only see it.
We’re doomed I tell you!!”
It is much worse than we first thought! I read a “paper” from a geologist who claimed that global warming could prevent volcanic heat from escaping the earths crust. This could cause parts of the mantle to melt and fissionable materials to collect at fault lines. These nuclear materials would reach critical mass and cause a gigantic nuclear explosion, possibly ripping the Earth apart!
The whole world could just explode due to global warming.
“Consequences of global warming are far more serious than previously imagined.”

wayne
July 9, 2010 4:02 am

Michael in Sydney says:
July 9, 2010 at 3:44 am

On a very serious note Michael, don’t feel you are alone, I’ll second that.

July 9, 2010 4:11 am

Michael in Sydney says:
July 9, 2010 at 3:44 am
Well Mike G
Well Gollly!
I suppose that as a Christian and a voter it is just as well that I left my brain at the front door. That’s right all us religious folk are just religious fools who can’t discern the difference between supposed bible truth and science. . .

To do something ‘religiously’ is an expression that generally means ‘frequently’ or ‘conscientiously’, and I’m quite sure that’s what Mike G intended. It does not mean ‘based on one’s religion’.
/Mr Lynn

Patrick
July 9, 2010 4:14 am

Michael in Sydney
I think youhave the wrong end of the stick “voting religiously” just means that you vote at every election without fail.

Joe Lalonde
July 9, 2010 4:14 am

Watch out, they may put a tax on Earthquakes.
Our government in Ontario has been trying to bring in new industry and business. Many people are on fixed incomes as the population ages.
Yet, as of July 1, they brought in a new tax(HST). They just increased the tax on electricity May 1 ,6% and are adding this HST to electricity and fuel. Jumped big into wind turbines with huge subsities. Talking of huge tolls on the roads now as well.
Bag of hammers…hmmmmm.

Joe Lalonde
July 9, 2010 4:16 am

Oops…forgot.
They snuck in an ECO-Tax on products.

Roger Knights
July 9, 2010 4:18 am

Michael in Sydney says:
July 9, 2010 at 3:44 am

Well Mike G

Well Gollly!

One of the definitions of religious, which Mike G was surely using, is this: “Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.”

Dave McK
July 9, 2010 4:20 am

Maybe it’s the mysticism that is not science? Or perhaps the faith isn’t science? Or maybe supernatural forces aren’t actually science? Oh – I bet it’s zombies that aren’t science – or maybe parthenogenic humans or maybe ‘My Bowels will sound like a harp for Moab and Mine Inward Parts for Kirharesh’ (isaiah 11:10) is just the silliest way a god could blast a city off the face of the earth or something… One should be forgiven if he gets the impression that religions is not only unscientific but sort of flies in the face of reason every chance it gets.

Steinar Midtskogen
July 9, 2010 4:30 am

Don’t forget that Al Gore has found the Earth’s interior to have risen to several million degrees. That surely must lead to increased seismic activity.

July 9, 2010 4:30 am

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake was much larger than any quakes since. Must have been the low CO2 levels.

Steve in SC
July 9, 2010 4:32 am

The really really really scary part is that these bastards vote!

Michael in Sydney
July 9, 2010 4:32 am

Let’s hear Mike G and Anthony who runs this show.
Kind Regards
Michael

Dave N
July 9, 2010 4:33 am

I’m from Adelaide, Australia.. I visited your quaint and beautiful town in 2002 (because I was in California, and a band I knew were playing there), and stayed in an excellent B&B near the outskirts. There, and driving through the town, I noted the abundance of nuts.. Mind you, they were on the trees.
This one must have fallen off.

Brent Hargreaves
July 9, 2010 4:34 am

Chuckles (1:14 am): So they reckon that global warming is softening the earth up, eh? Now let’s see… on the one hand global warming consists of a few lousy tenths of a degree on some dodgy thermometers in the exhaust gases of Jumbo jets, and on the other there’s magma at millions of degrees under our feet (“millions” according to that great Nobel laureate, A.Gore).
I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr. Gore and friends are exaggerating.

AnonyMoose
July 9, 2010 4:40 am

I may have to move.

Just stand right there, and Global Warming will move you.

Jimbo
July 9, 2010 4:49 am

I notice a comment box on the letter page for “Shake and bake” with no comments yet. Might Hugh G. Campbell not just be a prankster or is he on some kind of medication?

Dave Springer
July 9, 2010 4:54 am

Art Ford
July 9, 2010 4:55 am

If the Chico nut is convinced global warming is causing earthquakes, might he and his Chico nutter-friends explain why the U.S. seems impervious to this “global warming”?
Latest US temps for 12-month periods, ending in June: http://www.c3headlines.com/2010/07/last-12-mths-ending-june-is-coldest-since-1998-us-temps-cooling-at-81f-rate-per-century.html

mike sphar
July 9, 2010 4:57 am

If Chico is getting to you, consider what Santa Cruz or Berzerkley could do to you.

July 9, 2010 4:57 am

A woman in the retirement village where I am currently working told me that global warming was causing feral cats to come into heat earlier every year. I thought she was taking the p**s and she became very angry when I laughed . Later I noticed in her room on a table was a statue of Jesus, a buddha and a pile of crystals. She was hedging her bets like all true thermogeddonists.

Jimbo
July 9, 2010 4:59 am

Anthony,
I don’t know whether the following information is correct i.e. pointing to the same person who wrote the letter for “Shake and bake” – maybe someone here can help. I’ve done a search on Google for “Hugh G. Campbell, Chico” and here are the hits:
Hugh G. Campbell, CSUC professor, Chico
Hugh G. Campbell, CSUC professor, Chico
A further search with CSUC professor yeilded:
Hugh G. Campbell, 1967, Professor Emeritus, PhD, UCLA, History Department.
N.B. This may be completely different person so let’s be carefull.

kim
July 9, 2010 5:02 am

Maunder and Dalton
Minimums, they were; Vulcans
Walked the earth and belched.
=============

Pascvaks
July 9, 2010 5:02 am

The “Chicken Little” of the Week
Might this be a fair title of the type of curious outburst exhibited by such wellmeaning souls?

Mike Bryant
July 9, 2010 5:08 am

Hmmm… There’s the hidden heat!!!! It’s hiding in the Magma!!! And the Magma, now .7 degrees hotter, is uhhhhhh….. causing EARTHQUAKES!!!! Yeah, that’s the ticket!!! It’s so simple… Why didn’t I see it??? And all this time I thought it was hiding in my attic!!!

Sean Peake
July 9, 2010 5:11 am

The writer appears to be repeating the Danny Glover theory, which says it all. Dumber than a sack of puppies.

Henry chance
July 9, 2010 5:15 am

Even yesterday video clip from Mann refers to Mother earth. He is afraid .
Algore says the earth is several million degrees 2 kilometers down. How does air warm that?

July 9, 2010 5:15 am

Mr Lynn says:
July 9, 2010 at 4:11 am

Other threads have commented on how language is always changing. Perhaps it’s time to retire that definition. You guys can work on it, I’m usually agnostic on such issues. 🙂

Martin Brumby
July 9, 2010 5:25 am

Science & Religion?
Don’t worry – I’m not going there…
Actually, the OT comment from
@M White July 9, 2010 at 2:16 am
“Germany targets switch to 100% renewables for its electricity by 2050″
Is actually much dafter than the CCotW quote that Anthony has shared with us.
Meanwhile during the first six months of the year Big Wind in the UK managed to generate 0.8% of our electricity (and, of course the “renewables” share of transport, industrial non-electric power consumption and domestic heating amounted to the square root of bugger all).

Randle Dewees
July 9, 2010 5:27 am

Having lived in Chico in the 80’s I’m familiar with the residual hippie characters that accrete in that university town. Usually cheerful types, they can make for entertaining climbing partners and are willing to help sponge up any beer money you have. They usually have little education but a lot of New Age attitude. I remember them fondly.

latitude
July 9, 2010 5:31 am

It’s that constant 20% that shows up in every poll…
…keep that in mind when you are out in public
1 out of every 5 people you see, are certifiable

Chuckles
July 9, 2010 5:36 am

Steveta_uk, wayne, John of K, Brent H,
Clearly more research is needed. Whose going to write the grant applications?

July 9, 2010 5:37 am

Naaah, standard use of a logical fallacy of arguing the consequent, generally made by those who never studied logic. Nut case? No, not really, since a lot of geological belief is also based on this logical fallacy. It’s also spruiked by those whose actual experience is zilch in the physical world, and over-compensated in the intellectual one.

July 9, 2010 5:51 am

The Eiffel Tower is up for sale. I could sell it to this guy dirt cheap but he’ll have to arrange collection…

Jeff L
July 9, 2010 5:51 am

It makes it pretty hard to argue a point if your opponent :
a) Doesn’t think logically
b) Doesn’t understand a lick of science
c) is dogmatic in their position
The author of the quote has all 3 of these problems going for him, as do many in the AGW camp. They are lost causes.

July 9, 2010 5:59 am

Michael in Sydney says:
July 9, 2010 at 4:32 am
Let’s hear Mike G and Anthony who runs this show.

Mike G was clearly playing off Anthony’s quip,
“We have a t-shirt you can buy here at the museum store that speaks to our local agricultural base of orchards that says; Chico, where the nuts come from.”
But maybe Mike G will stop back and clarify. Methinks you’re reading a slight into his comment that wasn’t there. That nuts like Mr. Campbell might vote at all is truly alarming, whether or not Mr. Campbell is himself religious.
/Mr Lynn

Justa Joe
July 9, 2010 6:01 am

“Lachlan says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:20 am
That’s pretty much the position of the UN that disasters impact women and children more. It apparently comes from 2 ideas. Some brilliant person figured out that most war refugees are women and children (I guess the guys fighting the wars don’t count). Also there was a coincidence during the 2004 tsunami where a fishing fleet was out at sea when the tsunami hit. The fisherman were spared, but their wives bought it so naturally our friends on the left extrapolated this out to conclude that all disasters hit the female population hardest.
Just search “disater impact women” it’s almost like CAGW crazy. Everything imaginable is attributed to this phenomenon including more wife beatings as a result of Katrina & the Haiti earthquake.

July 9, 2010 6:02 am

Isnt there something to say for this theory? Glaciers and land-ice melts suddenly, the crust starts bobbing up due to isostacy, and ta da – earthquakes.

Lazarus Long
July 9, 2010 6:03 am

Ok, the guy who wrote this is a Person of Stupid.
But what about the editors of the paper?
They actually PUBLISHED it.

Harold Ambler
July 9, 2010 6:10 am

Hugh G. Campbell, who received his Ph.D. from UCLA, was on the history faculty at California State University, Chico, from 1967 to 1998.
That means that he would be getting on in years. Having some fear of earthquakes in California is a reasonable thing, and attributing such events to something that could potentially be controlled by human beings is understandable. Very, very wrong, but understandable.

JeffT
July 9, 2010 6:11 am

Anthony,
We’ve got “nuts” in Australia as well, as you may have seen during your recent visit.
But it’s as easy to disprove as a trip to Wikipedia will show:-
Shows earthquakes of note since ~2400 years BP
The “nuts” can’t read historic records.

docattheautopsy
July 9, 2010 6:12 am

Anthony,
I can’t believe you’re making fun of this guy. Typical of a Denier.
Solar Cycle 24 has been far less active than anything we’ve seen in the past. Obviously this is due to the decreased reflectance of light from the Earth’s surface making its way back to the due to increased atmospheric and oceanic warming from Climate Change.
I’ve got models that say at this rate, the sun will give 75% less energy in 100 years. And by then all the ice caps will have melted!
That’s real science!
Now if you don’t mind, I have some tea leaves to read.

Mikira
July 9, 2010 6:14 am

Wow!! Can I use that in the novel I’m writing? Seriously, who let’s these people out of the funny farm?
I don’t recall any of this information when I researched tectonic plates and volcanoes for a research paper I wrote in 11th grade. (I know that was a million years ago before Al Gore invented the internet, but still, you would have thought those scientific papers I read back then would have mentioned this as a cause of earthquakes? And here I thought the reason I got a B- on the paper was due to being a couple days late on turning the paper in. I should have realized I missed this information.)

Alex the skeptic
July 9, 2010 6:14 am

In the search for truth and science, one thing that remains a mystery for me is the big-bang. Or to be more exact, the nothingness that existed prior to this big, immense, explosion of infinite energy. My question has always been: can a nothingness exist? And can it be contained in something? Now my question has been answered. Yes. A nothingness can exist and it is found in a warmists cranial cavity.

Pete
July 9, 2010 6:21 am

There are nutters everywhere!
How about this one. Deserves some serious research i’d say.
“Women who wear revealing clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes, an Iranian cleric says.”

DirkH
July 9, 2010 6:24 am

Anthony, nothing could multiply the numbers of skeptics as good as this kind of over-the-top alarmism. Soon every thinking human will be a skeptic. And the Alarmists can have the others. (I don’t think Mr. Campbell was being sarcastic; he probably read about the AGW-earthquake connection somewhere else and blindly believed it.)

RockyRoad
July 9, 2010 6:26 am

We should all do our science religiously.
(Without error; without prejudice; without fail.)

Gail Combs
July 9, 2010 6:27 am

mikelorrey says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:09 am
….When you start seeing these sort of idiotic statements I start wondering if it it isn’t really a doubter who is intentionally posting completely inane associations like this in order to discredit the perceived intelligence of warmists. But then I usually wind up running into some irrational watermelon who actually thinks this way…
Reply: I always liked the corollary. Dumber than a box of hair. ~
________________________________________________________
I keep comparing them to my flock of sheep and find my sheep are smarter. At least my sheep can figure out how to run a maze to get to the grain. Unfortunately a large percentage of people can not follow the money in the global warming scam as well as my sheep can follow the smell of grain.

Alexander K
July 9, 2010 6:29 am

Michael from Sydney is being a tad oversensitive about his religion, whatever it is. The fact that many Warmists’ behaviour and utterances demonstrate that their belief in warming is a religion to them, whether they realise it or not (i.e. a matter of faith ) and that many sceptics see the whackier pronouncements of the Warmist faithful as funny/peculiar/sad/misguided/nonsense is NOT a smack at religions of the world per se. I have known a few scientists who were good Christians of some variety or other and I have known some scientists who were agnostic, some who were atheist and some who thought their views on religion were nobody else’s business but their own.
I have also known Christian zealots who were totally nasty and very judgemental about and to persons of faiths different from their own, very similar to many Warmists on countless blogs.
Sorry, mate, but in my humble opinion you have been too ready to take offence where none was meant.

jcl
July 9, 2010 6:32 am

Obviously he’s seen the movie 2012.
Neutrinos, AGW, whatever….

Gail Combs
July 9, 2010 6:42 am

M White says:
July 9, 2010 at 2:16 am
“Germany targets switch to 100% renewables for its electricity by 2050″
________________________________
That goes well with the article EU banned heated family houses built from 2020
That puts us to being equivalent to humans before the discovery of fire. After all fire in its many forms is what generates CO2 and that is the level of civilization the Greenies are aiming for. I hope you like eating your food raw.

Mark
July 9, 2010 6:43 am

Hugh Campbell is a well known conservative who contributes letters on a regular basis. It appears he has “punked” two editors.
Don’t feel too bad Anthony, and if you need help moving . . . : )

July 9, 2010 6:43 am

A few talking points on the Lebron James leaving Cleveland and the elements that we all need to consider as the behind-the-scenes issues unfold.

TerryMN
July 9, 2010 6:46 am

I too, read it to mean “votes in every single election” and was very surprised to see your interpretation. Maybe it’s an American thing. Just sayin’

JohnM
July 9, 2010 6:51 am

When I lived in Scotland I learned that they had a saying:-
There are three things that are problems in Scotland
1) The rain
2) The midges (a very small fly that breed in the damp areas)
3) The clan Campbell.
It looks as if the correspondant is upholding the last one :o)

July 9, 2010 6:51 am

Michael in Sydney says:
July 9, 2010 at 4:32 am
“I’m sorry but I do not accept the apologists definition of ‘religiously’ when it is followed by… ‘NUT’ shell…”
Michael, you need to lighten up. It is not justifiable to label someone who offers a reasonable and well-founded definition of the term “religiously” an apologist when he quotes a dictionary.
The misinterpretation of “religiously” that a number of people kindly tried to set straight is nothing more than that, a misinterpretation.
Focus your criticism were it should be made to count, at the practice of passing off the religion of AGW alarmism under the guise of science.

Josh Grella
July 9, 2010 6:52 am

Michael in Sydney,
I, too, am a Christian and tire easily of the comments about being so stupid and naive to believe the bible version of creation and all the other grossly inaccurate statements with regards to not understanding science. That being said, I see nothing in the words “voting religiously” that should offend in any way shape or form. I don’t know if you have the expression down under, but here in the States doing something “religiously” means you are very devoted to it. Period. The reference to “NUT” was simply to say that this guy was, without a doubt, crazy.
Now, if he had said “This guy is just another example of a typical Christian (aka complete nutjob)”, then I’d have a problem. But that’s not the case.

July 9, 2010 6:53 am

Sorry, had no coffee yet. “were it should be made to count” should have read “where it should be made to count”.

Gail Combs
July 9, 2010 6:56 am

“Germany targets switch to 100% renewables for its electricity by 2050″
_______________________________
That goes well with the article EU banned heated family houses built from 2020
That puts us to being equivalent to humans before the discovery of fire…
Take that a step further. No Mannmade CO2 means no fire (combustion) no smelting of ores (it takes heat) no products made from smelted ores and therefore no solar panels or windmills, AND NO beer or wine OR BIOFUELS from fermentation.
So the logical conclusion is we must become a civilization with no means of generating energy except by our muscles or from animals muscles.

Layne Blanchard
July 9, 2010 7:02 am

Well,, let’s see- Debbie Stabenow said: ” I can feel it when I fly”
John Holdren (W/H Science CZAR) wrote in “Ecoscience”: for example, Holdren said the United States must set an example for the world by undergoing “dedevelopment,” and that wealth must be redistributed “with and among nations.”
We’ve got Capsizing Islands… mostly because of too many people standing on them, but this will be worse when seas rise 80M according to the USGS: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs2-00/
I don’t know where you can go to find sanity, Anthony. Maybe China?

Lance
July 9, 2010 7:09 am

but it was just a ‘rotten’ Earthquake….
Well if Global Warming causing everything…what does Global Cooling cause? Oh, its just a fake word…

Paul
July 9, 2010 7:14 am

There is no refuge from mythical global warming triggered earthquakes for CAGW faithful like Hugh Cambell…
“Global warming creates volatility. I feel it when I’m flying”
-Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)

jorgekafkazar
July 9, 2010 7:16 am

Dave Springer says: “Obviously a product of public school social promotions. Bush’s “No One Left Behind” program came along too late for him except maybe in the form of a job opportunity to be a poster child for it.”
You’re thinking of the “No Taxpayer’s Behind Left” program.

Gary
July 9, 2010 7:20 am

Be grateful he’s not your Congressman.

David Ball
July 9, 2010 7:23 am

Next thing you know, someone is going to claim that a minute input into a trace gas is going to violently change our weather over the entire planet cascading into a venus replica, ……………………… oh, right. Sharp as marbles some of our species can be.

DJ Meredith
July 9, 2010 7:32 am

Campbell simply has his cause and effect reversed…earthquakes cause global warming.

Jryan
July 9, 2010 7:40 am

This argument reminds me of the wonderful logical trap that every single alarmist falls into. If you ever point out an apparent corollary between sun spot activity and global climate there is always one person ready to fire back that graph we all have seen that shows a connection between the rise in global temperature and pirates.
These types get angry really quick when you point out that the CO2/Global Climate graphs are really no different than their Pirate graph.

Enneagram
July 9, 2010 7:54 am

Many say that in “interesting times”(Maunder like minimums) as the “magnetic embrace” of the sun weakens, the earth has more free of movement and volcanoes too begin a higher activity (in the Maunder there were big volcaninc eruptions, as the VEI 6 Huaynaputina).

Scott Covert
July 9, 2010 7:57 am

Anthony, are there AGW brand Kool-Aid stands on every corner in Chico?
Maybe it’s all the oil we are pumping out of the ground causing additional friction on the tectonic plates?
Bill Cosby has a comedy routine about the earth spinning on an axle with no oil causing the earth to become hell.

Editor
July 9, 2010 8:01 am

I think Mr. Campbell (although I suspect the correct honorific is “Dr.”) has had a good chuckle at all our expense. I would also suggest that letters like that fall nto the category of “dirty tricks” and may not be all that ethical. Real alarmists give us all the quotes we need for ridicule and satire. We don’t need to invent them. Stick to the high road, Mr. Campbell. Excelsior!

Enneagram
July 9, 2010 8:04 am

Dave Springer says:
July 9, 2010 at 4:54 am
Apart from your G.B. reference (I am not american but saw him like a nice guy, as we say a “light blooded guy”, knowledge is as material as anything else in this universe and it can not be divided infinitely, so the more you divide it the lesser the part for anyone in particular. It may seem, as many other things, unjust but its is so. The only way, as with money and richness, to increase everybody´s share, is to increase the total amount of richness (or production), so increase actual, real goods producing labour and you´ll increase, accordingly, the “energy” of the system. So socialistic dreams are just that:dreams, in order to attain them production, energy should be increase. You won´t run your car´s engine with onle one HP. See, comprende?

Spector
July 9, 2010 8:15 am

RE: Chuckles: (July 9, 2010 at 1:14 am) “… The global warming is causing the earth warm up and to soften and become unstable, which makes it much more prone to earthquakes, as the bits can’t stick together any more.
This same ‘flawless logic’ could also be used to blame the Gulf Oil Leak on Global Warming…

Editor
July 9, 2010 8:17 am

As for that religion vs. science thing, I share Mike in Sydney’s frustration with the anti-religious tone of some posters, but in this case I am sure he was too sensitive. For those who think that there is a real conflict between science and religion needs to revisit their history of science texts and take a look at the branch of philosophy called “epistemology”. For all the grevious faults in Muir Russell’s report, he was correct in pointing out that science is not certain knowledge, nor is it a universally valid way of knowing things; just as an example, for those of you with honies, sweeties, significant others or whatever, do you want your emotional life subjected to rational analysis, given reasons grounded in logic and empirical observation about why it is better to be a couple than not?

bob paglee
July 9, 2010 8:41 am

Maybe this guy is onto something — let’s see, more CO2 stimulates global heating and we all know that when something heats up, it usually expands, and when it expands, it sometimes cracks, like a ceramic pot that’s left sitting on a hot stove burner. That’s it — like a crackedpot.

Dennis
July 9, 2010 9:51 am

I, for one, am pleased that someone has finally addressed MY major concern-plate tectonics.
Global warming has taken focus away from a problem that will ultimately tear our country apart- literally.
We need to look at ways of stopping the movement of tectonic plates and change the scenario that will make Los Angeles a city in Alaska. This is a crisis of biblical proportions that I hope will be mitigated by the government spending unlimited amounts of cash to prevent and restricting all freedoms that promote the movement of tectonic plates.

Spector
July 9, 2010 9:58 am

RE: Alex the skeptic says: (July 9, 2010 at 6:14 am) “In the search for truth and science, one thing that remains a mystery for me is the big-bang. Or to be more exact, the nothingness that existed prior to this big, immense, explosion of infinite energy. “
[Speculation:] Perhaps the bubble of space and time that we call our universe was created when two ultimately large black-holes brushed by each other in a hyper-universe that we cannot enter. It does not matter how rare such events might be for this to be possible. In a universe of infinite extent or duration in time, any finite event that can happen is happening somewhere or will happen sometime.

RockyRoad
July 9, 2010 10:03 am

Global warming does indeed cause the vast majority of earthquakes. You see, the natural and fairly steady production of heat from radioactive decay in the earth’s interior sets up thermal convective cells that allow the plates to move around; most earthquakes are associated with spreading centers or subduction zones, or thermal hotspots such as Yellowstone or Hawaii. We can blame volcanoes on the same phenomena–if it weren’t for magma caused by subterranian heating, there would be precious little magma generation and no volcanism (or temblors) whatsoever–just like our own moon. Viva la global warming!

Jack Simmons
July 9, 2010 10:21 am

My Exxon handler, M.E. Thane, thought this was really funny.
They posted the editorial.

latitude
July 9, 2010 10:21 am

The saddest part of this, is that we know so little about climate and global warming, that someone could honestly blame earthquakes on global warming.
Not this guy of course, but the truth is, you can twist what little we know around to cover almost anything.
And the fact that “scientists” do it, is proof of how little we know.

George Turner
July 9, 2010 10:44 am

It could hardly be said to be the most dignified of send-offs.
Undertakers in Belgium plan to eschew traditional burials and cremations and start dissolving corpses instead.
The move is intended to tackle a lack of burial space and environmental concerns as 573lbs of carbon dioxide are released by each cremated corpse.
Under the process, known as resomation, bodies are treated in a steel chamber with potassium hydroxide at high pressure and a temperature of 180c (350f).

Daily Mail link
Drudge linked it.

Harold Ambler
July 9, 2010 11:20 am

Glad to know that Dr. Campbell is on our side, and apologies from me.
For those who care for satire, my latest talkingabouttheweather.com post, by “Cory Wolfe,” is in the same vein:

Enneagram
July 9, 2010 12:51 pm

Spector says:
July 9, 2010 at 9:58 am
Wouldn’t it be nicer to explain that a male universe met a female universe, then both felt an electric plasma attraction between them, and, as a product of such an encounter our universe came into existence?

Jimbo
July 9, 2010 1:25 pm

My suspicion about Campbell being a possible prankster was nearly ‘right’. I have to agree that in this day and age it is nigh on impossible to detect when someone is taking the pis* as I have read even more outlandish claims for AGW. Examples are more volcanoes, Co2 causing atmospheric cooling AND warming, Earth spinning faster AND slower, more snow AND less snow for example.

Alex the skeptic
July 9, 2010 2:01 pm

Martin Brumby says:
July 9, 2010 at 5:25 am
“Germany targets switch to 100% renewables for its electricity by 2050″
Is actually much dafter than the CCotW quote that Anthony has shared with us.
I say old chap: Do not be surprised that the Germans would have switched to 100% renewables by 2050: They were 100% renewable 200 years ago, before coal came into being. They cooked on cow dung and dead wood, and travelled by horse. That, old chap, is 100% renewable. That is what Obama’s science CZAR, genius Holdren, wants us to be like. I cannot call this other than an Obamination.

July 9, 2010 2:54 pm

Anthony….
I must also have a broken sarcasm detector.
That letter did cause a spike in blood pressure at my breakfast table this morning…
I thought that it was a clear case of “California Granola” (Fruits, Nuts & Flakes).
If that was sarcasm, then it was dry sarcasm…. dryer than the Mojave in August 😉

Doug in Dunedin
July 9, 2010 2:58 pm

Anthony
There is no question that he (Mr Campbell) was using irony. Nobody could be that stupid.
REPLY: and yet, we have the warmlist -A

Spector
July 9, 2010 3:19 pm

R: Enneagram: (July 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm) “Wouldn’t it be nicer to explain that a male universe met a female universe,…”
In the case of my speculation, the black-holes are bi-sexual. I note that almost all galaxies are now thought to contain central black-holes. These could be primordial fragments left over from a gigantic black-hole disruption event.

DirkH
July 9, 2010 3:25 pm

Martin Brumby says:
July 9, 2010 at 5:25 am
“Science & Religion?
Don’t worry – I’m not going there…
Actually, the OT comment from
@M White July 9, 2010 at 2:16 am
“Germany targets switch to 100% renewables for its electricity by 2050″
Is actually much dafter than the CCotW quote that Anthony has shared with us.
Not quite as good as Buff Huhne’s 100% reduction in total emissions but the Germans are trying their best to act stupid.”
It’s a message from the German Umweltbundesamt, environment office, analogon to the American EPA. They’re only doing their job, acting as green fruitcakes.
At the same time, Germany rebuilds an abandoned mine into the largest subterranean NatGas storage in Europe… we’re not that daft.

DirkH
July 9, 2010 3:34 pm

Anthony, just read your update. That Campbell guy is one smartass! Cudos!

DirkH
July 9, 2010 3:40 pm

George Turner says:
July 9, 2010 at 10:44 am
“It looks like crazy is the new normal. Check out Belgium’s latest proposal to limit CO2 emissions.
Belgium’s plan to wash its dead down the drain: Bodies would be dissolved in caustic solution… and flushed into the sewer”
If you want, you get a bottle of your loved one to take home with you. Not suitable for consumption!

July 9, 2010 5:44 pm

Essentially we are perched on the crust riding atop a big solid metal ball. During solar minimum that metal ball shrinks ever so slightly, but the outermost part of the outer mantle against the crust expands with the pressure release. This comparatively thin layer becomes more like the expanding magma we see at a volcano. Poof! more eruptions and quakes until the metal ball slows/stops contracting.
When a solar cycle takes off the metal ball begins expanding again and re-contracting the recently expanded outer mantle next to the crust again.
Possibly a pair of VEI-4 and a slew of 3’s should erupt before the end of 2011 as this cycle starts to take off. Some more quakes…
What we need are some good volcanologists here, and to also explain the various gasses pushed out. All I do is travel, observe and occasionally stay at Holiday Inn Express.
An emissions reduction idea that might catch your eye is this…
And if the manufacturers of commercial trucks would show some mercy on the drivers that roast or freeze with the extremes the world might be a little nicer place for us all. Add insulation between the outer and inner walls of the cabs and bunks. They could get quality sleep, not be as grouchy and be less likely to run you over out there on the highway. The green fanatics should be relieved to see a volcano worth ± of emissions be saved each year from the trucks not idling all the time when they’re not rolling.
Solutions to the problem (whether it exists or not) should be an attractive feature of WUWT I think.

Atomic Hairdryer
July 9, 2010 5:50 pm

It’s all true damnit, sort of.
Earthquakes are not a response to global warming, unless it gets really bad and the crust starts to crack due to expansion like a loaf of bread.
Earthquakes could be due to attempts to make money from global warming though. We know harmonic tremors are a sign of seismic activity. We also know we can locate wind turbines by measuring the seismic activity by virtue of them being big, heavy vibrators attached to large concrete blocks to send the LF vibrations into the ground. I know part of this is true as I’ve seen and felt them shake me and my coffee. I know people can do bad things to structures with harmonic vibrations, hence the redesign of the Greenwich foot bridge. I’m less certain that building the UK’s biggest wind farm on the site of the UK’s biggest earthquake is such a good idea. But then maybe the windmills have regulators to stop them vibrating in step?
(yes, some of this is sarcasm, but also curiosity. As for letters to the editor, look what Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson did with their letters to the editor when they were at Playboy.)

Michael in Sydney
July 9, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: my previous comment to Mike G
Reading the responses here I accept that his post may not have meant what I thought it did and therefore offer an unreserved apology for calling him a fool.
Regards
Michael

Mick J
July 9, 2010 5:59 pm

Talking of religion which I know we are not. 🙂 This site URL was sent to me following a discussion with neighbours about things warmist and they thought that I should be informed about the facts. Suggests quite an active organisation presenting one side of the case within the Christian context of the protection of Creation.
Mick.

George Turner
July 9, 2010 6:46 pm

DirkH says:
July 9, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Well, mixing fat and lye makes soap, so perhaps they can market it as “Solyent Spring.”
All this worry about cremation does give new meaning to “anthropogenic CO2.”
[whisper] It comes from burning people. [/whisper]
Maybe someone here can find a link between the old Viking longboat funerals and climate.

Rhoda R
July 9, 2010 6:46 pm

Dennis, I have been thinking about getting a bumper sticker that says: “Stop Plate Tetonics!”. I haven’t yet because I’m afraid that I’ll be taken seriously.

Walter M. Clark
July 9, 2010 7:02 pm

Mike Guerin says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:52 am
He’s just one vote. He (and many like him) probably procreates and teaching his spawn to hold to his beliefs. We’ve got to find him and neuter him before he has a chance to add more of his kind to the population (sarc off, maybe;-|)

chemman
July 9, 2010 7:18 pm

I once posted a tongue in cheek explanation about how “man made?” CO2 could cause earthquakes on a thread at a different blog I hang our on. The posters that knew me busted a gut. However, sad to say, a number of true believers actually thanked me for the explanation. The never realized they were being spoofed.

Editor
July 9, 2010 7:51 pm

Joe Lalonde,
“Farmers around my area are pulling the apple trees as the government now wants them to be classed in the industry business and must have any helpers covered by Workmans Compensation, wear hardhats and safety boots.
Bag of hammers…hmmmmm.”
Oh, thats happening all over. In my area, the MacDonalds and Burger King have both demolished their restaurants to rebuild them with less seating area for customers, since there is a new tax on restaurant seating area. These restaurants found it cheaper to destroy a whole building and build a whole new one to get a lower tax rate than to just pay the tax.
I’m seeing businesses are flying their American flags upside down to signal distress…

mike g
July 9, 2010 9:12 pm

As a dis-interested mike g, and not the one who was soooo mis-understood, I’ll just say that perhaps Mike G should have said, “This guy is a NUT and the scary thing is he gets to vote just like the rest of us.”

Henry Phipps
July 9, 2010 9:17 pm

Justa Joe says:
July 9, 2010 at 6:01 am
========
Hi, Joe
I heard this joke in Boston a couple of decades ago.
God decides Mankind is too wicked, and decides to destroy the world and start over. Being merciful, God lets a few news sources know two days in advance. They all demand an exclusive , but God refuses. The next day, the New York Times buries the story in the “About Town” column. The Wall Street Journal headline reads “World Ends Tomorrow: Markets Close Early”. And The Boston Globe headline reads “World Ends Tomorrow: Women and Minorities Affected Most”.

Editor
July 9, 2010 9:52 pm

Interesting thing about your update, Anthony: the editor at ChicoER recognized it as sarcasm and printed it anyway…. I’m getting visions of wheels within wheels (Ezekiel, 10:10)

Keith Battye
July 10, 2010 3:23 am

Roger Knights says:
July 9, 2010 at 4:18 am
Michael in Sydney says:
July 9, 2010 at 3:44 am
. . . .
Not to worry I have been severely berated and called a racist for using the word “niggardly” . . . people are encouraged to be touchy and to take offense when they feel slighted. It’s the PC world ( and please don’t tell me that’s a great magazine) that we inhabit now.

kim
July 10, 2010 7:38 am

Anybody ask the Campbell heself? I think there is an approximately 50% chance his beliefs are being completely misrepresented.
Heh, by one side or the other.
==============

kim
July 10, 2010 7:40 am

And besides, folks; regard the Katla thread. Them Vulcans are big and belchy. But why belch now? Have they just dined with Gaia who awaits the return of her Ach……choo!
===============

amicus curiae
July 10, 2010 8:57 am

Lachlan says:
July 9, 2010 at 1:20 am
—————-
🙂
gives a whole new meaning to PMTsunami..
if you thought we womenfolk were cranky before. Lookout!

Tim Clark
July 10, 2010 11:20 am

HUGH G. CAMPBELL, Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles, is
Professor of History at California State University, Chico, and is the author
of La derecha radical en Méico, 1929-1949 ( 1976).
AGE 75 CHICO, CA
I don’t think it was sarcastic, as he also sent it to http://www.orovillemr.com/ and he wrote:
La derecha radical en México, 1929-1949 / Hugh G. Campbell ; traducción, Pilar Martinez Negrete.
Author: Campbell, Hugh.
Publisher: México : Secretaría de Educación Pública, 1976.
Subject(s): Synarchism Mexico.
Political parties Mexico History.
Mexico Politics and government 1946-1970.
Mexico Politics and government 1910-1946.
He’s just senile.

Pamela Gray
July 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Now there’s a good strategy. Nose tweaking. Play to win by using your opponent’s tricks. It worked so well it fooled us!
If there ever was an episode revealing the downside of exaggeration strategy on the part of AGWing scientists who bought into the idea to color their work with “tipping point” worst case scenarios, this episode is it. If neither side can tell if the writer is “worse than we thought” serious, and then discovers he was not, you have the reason for the failure of the green campaign. People taken for fools do not forgive once the game is up. And the game is up.
Three cheers for nose tweaking!

R. Craigen
July 12, 2010 12:51 am

Actually, Anthony, the fact that you could not detect the sarcasm is probably the most poignant part of the story. Your sarcasm detector, I suspect, is not broken, we have simply arrived at a realization that climate alarmism as it is currently expressed in the popular media is no longer significantly different from attempts to parody it. I agree with you that the letter does not exude irony, but only because it has about the same amount of substance as much actual alarmist nonsense. If discourse on this subject contained more factuals and reasonable analysis and less ad hominem and mythology, it would be much easier to parody effectively. As it stands, it is self-parodying.

Pull My Finger
July 12, 2010 7:43 am

I hear in about 200 million years global warming is going to lead to all the continents smashing into each other. We better get on trying to prevent that RIGHT AWAY! Think about the children!

Bob in Chico
July 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Anthony (and nearly everyone else in this thread),
Thanks for your sterling proof of Poe’s Law http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

Frank Lee MeiDere