Saturday Silliness: The Zero of all sums = ooommmm

Josh writes:

A cartoon inspired by Steve McIntyre’s post on Lew & Mann, and of course all the other posts from everyone else!

josh_zerosum

49 thoughts on “Saturday Silliness: The Zero of all sums = ooommmm

1. If my Android is ruined by the soft drink I just spewed all over it….it was worth it! Josh, you kill me.

2. johanna says:
    November 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm

For the non Latin scholars, “sum” means “I am.”

================================================================
    And here I thought it meant, “Sum’in ain’t right here.”

3. They are using advanced calculus. The answer is the limit of the value as the amount of data approaches zero.

4. Well done (as always), Josh!

“…where is the cuckoo… .” (APOBYH at 5:44pm today)

lol, sitting behind the CO2, of course. #(:))

5. OMG that is funny!!!!! I have seen this up close and personal. I know of folks in certain circles who pull their own calculations out of their ass and call what they have done “statistical analysis”, and then have the balls to defend it as if it is legit!

6. Ah. The nothingness of infinity. The very basic tenet of projected climate science. It was in India that the single most important value in the decimal system: 0, was added to mathematical calculations. No wonder Pachauri is such a proponent of projections. Projecting climate warming into infinity is brilliant thinking when it comes to re-upping your grant.

7. Geez, some of my fellow skeptics here are almost impossible to please.

Consider, with a zero sample size, there is no need to request the methodology of the “adjustments”. Mann has once again avoided FOIA queries.

8. Rogerknights @ 7.06pm:

Yes, the look on Mann’s face reminds me of something a long time back, when CSIRO Divisional Chiefs made regular visits to far flung centres to see what their troops were up to. I asked the Chief how come he could go from office to office looking interested in what each scientist was explaining to him. He replied: ‘It helps if you’ve got piles’

9. Next Lew and Mann will be working in reciprocal space.

That should make for an interesting cartoon–as both get sucked in while observing their navels.

…..slurp

Then not only could we do without their statistics, we could do without Lew ‘n Mann.

10. A rearrangement of the words yields a poem:

Our sample size is zip, zilch, nada
    We’ve reached the stage where we need no data.

11. David (in Cal) your bouncy little poem’s rhythm brought to mind this delightful tune which I post here with Josh’s expose of those who have corrupted it,

to celebrate the scientific method!

Take it away, Ella!

“It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it…. that’s what gets {valid} results.”

12. > who pull their own calculations out of their ass and call what they have done “statistical analysis”,

I prefer the term ‘fundamental data extraction”

13. Homeopathic science (as practised (practiced) by homies).

StuartMcL says: November 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm (‘fundamental data extraction’) v.v.good!

14. I like your drawing style but you are far too generous to Lew’sky, He really is not that “good looking”. Whenever I see a photo of him, it makes me feel physically uncomfortable.

I think you are failing to capture the essence of the man with your cartoons.

15. “I realise the maths/latin title joke might be a wee bit subtle but hopefully it’ll ring some bells.”

YOU CAN’T RING ‘NOBEL’

16. Reminds me of the first joke I made up at junior school. A young roman meets a young girl – 1st words : ‘Sum sex’.

17. Josh,

Thanks for clothing them in purplish onesies to hide zero data cult tattoos.

Also, perhaps initiation into the zero data cult for summa cum laude candidates requires purification rites to cleanse their body and minds of data.

Finally. should not their feet be bare in front of their goddess of zero data?

John

18. Mann no doubt contemplates the future with equanimity, now that the Virginia gubernatorial election has denied Cuccinelli the office. Indeed, he has been quoted as calling the election a referendum on global warming. Presumably, the UVA email vault will not now be breached.

19. I hadn’t noticed but I think the theory fits! That look! Whenever they get that look on their face they are either taking a poop or are thinking about another way to write about “nothing”, make it sound ominous, and get it published.

20. Pamela Gray on November 10, 2013 at 8:10 am

– – – – – – – –

Pamela Gray,

Your use of the word poop made me think the word pooh. Which made me think the following.

Josh made Lewandowsky and Mann look like a bumbling pair of purplish pooh bears. Winnie is not likely to be amused. Oh bother.

John

21. Jon says:
    November 9, 2013 at 9:59 pm

They start with the conclusion and make up the data?

It’s called “post-normal science”.

See how easy it is?

22. Pamela Gray says:
    November 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    ====================

Such as the Starfleet cadets over at Curry’s like Webby.

23. ***
    Pamela Gray says:
    November 10, 2013 at 8:10 am

***

No, like any simians, they’re getting ready to throw their excrement…

Comments are closed.