In the hot seat at WUWT-TV

Commenter John Whitman visited me yesterday to help with some portion of the content and suggested that I needed to record this for posterity citing it as “historic”.

I don’t know about that, but it does show the David-Golaith nature of putting on a 24 hour TV show to challenge Al Gore.  What I lose in Gore sized special effects budgets I make up for in clutter. ;-)

Kenji is just off camera, sleeping, ready to give UCS member commentary.

Look for final schedule to be posted early tomorrow, blogging will be light or non-existent for the next 48 hours.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Gore-a-thon 2012 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to In the hot seat at WUWT-TV

1. HalfEmpty says:

Is that a 3-dPrinter with the glass cover on the first photo?

REPLY: NO a pc -A

2. Robert A. Taylor says:

As I said in the “Counter programming” post, please, if at all possible, record, replay, and divide into segments labeled by persons and subjects.

3. Chris Tangey says:

As somebody who works in the industry Anthony I have some idea of the enormous task you have in front of you, absolutely amazing effort, the work will pay off.

4. View from the Solent says:

And I thought the cabling for my 2 m/cs was a mess …..

5. Warren in New Zealand says:

Website address please? And clutter? my workstation isn’t anywhere near as tidy :)

REPLY: Website??? Right here. Visit tomorrow, read schedule, watch -A

6. tomwys says:

Best of luck!!!

You have a loyal fan- base who are on your side and in your corner!!!

7. Anthony Watts says:

@R A TAylor…this is work, lots of it. No guarantees. I’m doing what I can. Technology sometimes isn’t cooperative the way I’d like it.

8. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

Make sure the recording goes good so the highlight DVD is excellent. Having a collection of short video presentations on at least the main points would be helpful.

Given the possible reactions by Kenji to seeing Al Gore, do you have a laptop he can watch that’s waterproof and washable? Sure, you prefer us to stick to the facts, argue the evidence, don’t get too emotional. But after watching Gore for several hours, or even longer than five minutes, it’d be understandable if Kenji can no longer hold back and needs to dump on Al.

9. That much video is huge. How about crowdsourcing the audio into a transcript and embed the slides? Be happy to help.

10. saneromeo says:

Thank you for your efforts, I will be tuning in for sure

11. oldseadog says:

Mr. Watts, just do what you can, don’t go and exhaust yourself.
    What you are doing is far above and beyond etc.

12. I don’t see how that can work at all.
    Not enough clutter. No rats’ nets.
    And no rubber chicken. :-)

13. NeedleFactory says:

For those with Macintosh computers: Google for “how to capture video on mac” (as I did). I found an article called “10 Clever Screen Recording Tools for Mac” (at http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/10-screen-recording-tools-for-mac/) and some other stuff. I will try to record the video with some such program (the free tools won’t suffice), but am uncertain if I can succeed. Others may wish to try also.

14. Steve from Rockwood says:

I’m not sure who Goliath is. A guy with the world’s most viewed web-site on global warming, or Al Gore. Good luck! I’m sure it will be great. Get a few shots of Kenji in. I’ve never met a unionized concerned scientist.

15. Gary Pearse says:

I trust we will see counters for the two programs

16. DarrylB says:

Sorry for this ignorant question, –but is WUWT-TV associated with any channels (US-direct TV) that may somehow carry any portion of it?—Do we just try to follow it here?

17. DarrylB says:

I suppose it will be streaming here.

18. @NeedleFactory

I’ve had good success recording screen content to MP4 on Mac with ScreenX ($10) together with the free software SoundFlower (to re-route sound from speaker output to microphone input). I suggest testing a few times beforehand since the Soundflower-routing isn’t immediately obvious.

19. geran says:

I can hardly wait!

Wishing you the BEST.

20. davidmhoffer says:

accordionsrule says:
    November 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I second that idea. I don’t have the bandwidth to do streaming video, and even if I did, I have the attention span of a gnat. Plus, I can read about 8 times as fast as I can listen.

21. Pamela Gray says:

My experience with electronics, specifically a series of gating electronics (I drew the schematics and tower configurations in case we had to scramble) to create a series of specific, center frequency, fast on-set, pips) reveals my age. For data entry, we used chadded data cards, saved it all on “floppy” disks (and I do mean floppy), and spent tons of money on air conditioners, used exclusively to keep our electronic babies cool while our veterans cooked on hot hospital floors. Those same components now fit on the head of a pin.

22. Diehardstroker says:

Mr. Watts – thank you so much for providing this! I would like to watch the entire show, but am hindered by that nasty four letter word (work)… I realize this is a huge undertaking, but was wondering if it will be recorded at the studio? It would be great to be able to purchase a copy (with a large portion going to support your site, I hope) to view at a later date, or show to the AGW folks I am constantly getting into heated discussions with.

Best of Luck!

23. eyesonu says:

I would like to make an open request / suggestion to the many viewers here on WUWT. If you know how to record the presentations that Anthony will be offering us, please do so and then perhaps there can be an consolidation somewhere that those who have missed some part or all can view post presentation.

I ask this as Anthony is doing all he can and recording his achievements may be best outsourced / crowdsourced. I would do it but I don’t have the knowledge. Some of you do.

Just do it!

24. Doug S says:

You rock Anthony, kicking ass and taking names! It must suck to algore about now. Upstaged by a guy in his jamies and a netcaster box. Ouch!

25. ntesdorf says:

Anthony, the photos of your efforts are really inspiring. I hope that all goes smoothly and that the results are as good as they deserve to be. You have a huge task in front of you but it will pay off, I’m sure.

26. @eyesonu
    Unless Anthony has obtained a premium subscription, Ustream ads will obliterate streamed content and recordings made by viewers will have missing sections.

27. Eyal Porat says:

Anthony, I must join the others in calling for recording the broadcast.
    This is going to be powerful stuff. The names on the list (unlike those of the BBC ;-) ) are something. This should be avalable to as many people as possible (YouTube).

28. Anthony Watts says:

I checked about the premium subscriptions, and given the expected number of viewer hours I’d be into it over $2000, possibly more.

@eyesonu @accordionsrule The only option to pull this off was the free ad-based service. I’m not happy with that, but it was the only way. I also tried Livestream which is more affordable but they had technical issues with my Tricaster 40. YouTube doesn’t allow Live streams, only recordings, and the remainder of the choices weren’t useful either.

Best I can do under cirmcumstances.

29. JohnnyinNQ says:

Out of the loop for the past few weeks, now with a few days off, and looking forward to your TV show to counter the big hypocrite’s apocalypse mongering reverse Robin Hood money grabbing guilt fest.

Having said that, and reading your above post re the cost of a premium subscription, is it too late to do a whip around for the funds? I’ll gladly put a hundred ozzy dollars towards it, and surely there’s twenty or thirty other like minded people out there?

Give me a code word for it, like “SHAZBUT,” (or “WUWTTV,”) not to be confused with your surface stations project, and it’s on it’s way.

Whaddaya reckon, people, can we help the bloke out to make it ad free, or what? :-))

Johnny in NQ

30. RACookPE1978 says:

I can add $100.00 US to the WUWTTV Pot.

Then again, maybe those 100 Ozzie dollars will be more valuable for the next four years …….

31. David Ross says:

Good luck Anthony. I’m sure it will be a success.

32. JohnnyinNQ says:

It being the wee small hours where Anthony is right now, I decided to donate anyway, and unfortunately couldn’t leave a code word, (bloody paypal :-(… but there you go mate, I’m going to the other thread to try to drum up some business… Had to do it in US dollars, too, so I won 56 cents in the transaction.. Win Win, I’d say :-))

Good luck tomorrow :-)

Johnny in NQ

33. Dr Burns says:

Anthony,
    If you do need special graphic effects or animations, there’s bound to be some people here who could help you out : http://www.blendernation.com/
    Blender is open source and can do just about anything you can think of. There’s heaps of budding young artists wanting to be seen.

34. Annie says:

Best wishes for your debut Anthony. Unfortunately I won’t be able to look in as I’ll be travelling.

35. Resourceguy says:

You mean make up for Gore effects with the truth and pursuit of the truth.

36. Best of luck A. Though with Gore’s bad luck his Gorothon will be eclipsed by your well executed list of facts.

37. philjourdan says:

Only 4 monitors? What a piker! You need at least another half dozen! ;-)

In all honesty, you have a nice set up. How do you keep your wife from throwing her clutter into your computer room?

38. redcords says:

This is quite the challenge you’ve set for yourself Anthony, I wish you all the best.

39. Neil Jordan says:

Good luck Anthony. I will be watching. Today will be remembered for another event that might come up during the broadcast – California’s on-line carbon auction which starts just about now. This morning’s California Department of Water Resources News carries an article about the California cap and trade auction today, starting at 10 am Pacific Standard Time. The original estimate was $40 per ton of “carbon”. The link is

“A major piece of former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions will kick into gear Wednesday when regulated businesses throughout the state will be required to cut their pollution, or pay the price.

“Under the state’s new cap and trade program – the first of its kind in the nation – at 10 a.m. Wednesday, businesses such as refineries and industrial facilities will for the first time either bid on carbon credits to allow them to pollute more, or sell credits for having polluted less, under the California Air Resources Board (CARB) first pollution allowance auction.”
    [...]
    “CARB estimates the regulation will add 10 cents per gallon to the price of gas for every $10 per ton that industry pays for allowances. The futures market has lately been pegging the price at around $12 a ton, which could result in a 12-cent per gallon increase.”
    [...]
    “Officials believe the re-election of President Barack Obama, who in his acceptance speech voiced support for battling climate change, will embolden states to follow California’s lead.

“”With the election, we expect states that had dropped their own climate efforts to take a new look at what they can do, and some of these ideas will be adapted or adopted elsewhere,” Mary Nichols, CARB’s chairman, said.”

40. Jurgen says:

from Holland with a basic cable provider (Ziggo) the reception is ok, with short breaks now and then, a page reload helps there (may also be my system: Ubuntu and the chromium browser)
    overall a good show – had no time for all of it, but I’ll grab those recordings later on :-)
    great work Anthony

41. BargHumer says:

This is historic!
    It is great.

42. Glen Michel says:

Thanks Anthony a much appreciated work.

Comments are closed.