Monckton addresses California Assembly Committee

This was a live blog of this event held at the State Capital in committee, meeting room 127. Brevity is due to blogging on my cell phone.

Live Blogging

image
Maintenance guy adjusting thermostat down to keep people from keeling over in packed room. Hansen would have turned it up like 1988

image

Monckton has arrived shaking hands in a packed room
image
Lots of people handing out Eco flyers now.

Packed room the air is thick. Standing room only.

Monckton making a point to greet everyone he can.

Session started
image
State Assemblyman Dan Logue at right of Monckton in center chair.

Various introductions and statements now.

Monckton starts with “unsettled” science
image
Slide says ipcc credibility gap

Now onto the skeptic argument and climate history
image
Feedback

Drawing some laughs commenting on ipcc

Graph on cycles now and where are we measuring within cycles

Hockey stick trick description, citing M& M and preference for software to make HS shape by 390x

91 people in a room designed for 50 by my count people still trying to get in

Talking about censored folder and Mann data wipes out MWP when used

Now onto hide the decline

Monckton taking questions from committee

Now onto AR3 and changes to final draft to change conclusion

Showing actual data diverges from models now

454 trillion $ per degree F global

image

Still having thermostat trouble

Citing a quote from David Archibald
“West no longer the problem”

CA losing major manufacturers

Biofuels and diversion of food and funds from other worthy projects

Talk concluding 2:35pm
Applause
Next speaker

Now q and a from committee
Crowd well behaved

image

Guy on the end of dais making a 15 minute speech now…question anywhere?

Committee chair shuts him down with courtesy, draws big laugh.

Copies of Jo nova’s skeptic handbook being passed out to some committee members

Just now got to sit down after standing 1.5 hours some people leaving as q and a winds down.

325pm session ends with closing remarks
Monckton and I invited to governor’s office for private meeting

——————————-

UPDATE 745 PM Governor ducked our meeting, passed us off to an aide. Hope to have update on this and full presentation tomorrow, pretty beat after 90 mile drive back.

About these ads

94 Responses to Monckton addresses California Assembly Committee

1. James Sexton says:

Hmm… I’d comment on the content, but there just doesn’t seem to be any. Repeat of yesterday? Or is this just a post about waiting on Monckton?

2. Jenn Oates says:

Hey, I’ve spoken in that same exact committee room a couple of times before (in another life). small world!

3. Where in California? How long will he be visiting?

4. LazyTeenager says:

Tiny room, not many people.

Should show photo of back and sides of room.

5. Xiver1972 says:

@James Sexton

I believe Mr. Watts is updating this live. It looks to be more of a play by play account of what is happening.

6. Jay says:

Ditto James’s comment. Is this supposed to be some sort of psuedo live-blogging thing? Because if it is… it’s crap.

Is there a repost option available? I love Monckton. Please avoid cheapening his lectures.

7. Anthony Watts says:

Live Blogging next time I won’t bother if this is the thanks I get for 90 mile drive and time out of my day to bring this to you.

Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do, sheesh

8. David Corcoran says:

Thanks Anthony.

For any who can attend: Lord Monckton is speaking in San Diego this Saturday.

9. Jantar says:

Well done Anthony. I’ve followed this live blog from photo No1, but didn’t want to interupt by posting before the end.

10. Jack says:

Thankyou Anthony. Living in Australia, I appreciate it.

11. Well Mr. Watts I think you deserve a big thank you for the effort you put into it with the tools you had available to you.

Thank You.

12. Paul says:

Great to see the inside and show this event happening to place these events in context for us who aren’t there. Nice reporting to compliment the earlier post of the presentation statistics and main points.

13. dfbaskwill says:

Pay the ” live-blogging skeptics” no mind, Anthony. hee hee hee. I enjoyed it all the same.

14. u.k.(us) says:

Anthony Watts says:
    March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do sheesh
    =============
    I took about a 90 mile drive in my summer car, to look for bird kills at my nearest windfarm in northwest Illinois. It turns out the roads aren’t very good, so I guess I’m gonna have to fuel up my SUV to get a close look.

15. Thanks for the effort Anthony, people forget you are a one man band, and don’t have a sound man, camera man and the rest of the staff a main stream news crew would have on scene.

Hope you could capture audio for later transcription or play.

Larry

16. kbray in california says:

Thanks for covering that. I was interested in his visit.
    Hope you stay for his evening talk there in Sacramento.

I heard him interviewed on the radio this morning and he is fantastic.
    Nice if you two could share a meal…

17. markstoval says:

Great post!

I enjoy “seeing” the event and the room. Can you remember any of the comments or questions?

Thanks for going there!

18. John N says:

Bradley J. Fikes says:
    March 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm
    ____________________

Sacramento.

I believe he is also speaking at 7p at Sac State.

19. Mark says:

While I appreciate the effort you’ve gone to with this Anthony, I wonder if a proper write-up after the event would be better (ie more detailed). Perhaps a sequel / update to this post at some point? The trouble is, as a blog post (especially one on *this* site) it’s got very little information content compared to the usual posts we get here.

Just a thought, but perhaps consider seeing if you have some readers near Monckton’s next stop: with enough time maybe they can help set up a camera to stream it or something.

20. Peter Laux says:

“sheesh” sums it up nicely Anthony, the demands of non-contributors eh ?

21. Jeremy says:

Great. Thank you for covering this – history in the making!

22. I appreciate it!

Thanks Anthony, and thanks Lord Monckton.

23. Rick K says:

Anthony,
    I appreciate your efforts! I enjoyed the play by play and the pics. I certainly would be interested in a summary write-up when you get the chance to find out more of the details about the goings-on.

Again, I thought it was great. I won’t find this anywhere else…

24. Tad says:

I’d like to hear this guy in person. Any idea if he has a public speaking schedule?

25. Gilbert G Leggett says:

Great job and thanks Mr. Watts. Yes, a full write up would be fine, but you’ve posted often and well on Lord Monckton. Kinda like the live, keepin’ it real aspect of this. peace

26. Ben says:

Anthony – Thanks for your efforts. How was the Q&A segment?
    Any good questions? Did anyone try to offer counter arguments or objections?

27. James Sexton says:

Anthony Watts says:
    March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do sheesh
    ==========================================================
    lol, Thanks A—– I didn’t understand what you were up to. Did you get to interact with any of the people? No points of contention?

28. Smokey says:

LazyTeenager says:
    March 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

“Tiny room, not many people.”

Nitpick much? That’s a committee meeting, dopey. That’s the Committee, see? From the article: “91 people in a room designed for 50″. Notice that every chair is taken and people are standing along the wall. Sheesh. Get a life. There’s a real world outside your mom’s basement.

29. kramer says:

Tad says:
    March 21, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Same here and I would hope he is speaking somewhere in Southern CA.

And thanks Anthony for live blogging this event.

30. Louis Hooffstetter says:

Go Smokey!

31. Jenn Oates says:

I’m not complaining, Anthony! A little pissy that he’s ten miles up the road and I’m not able to meet him, but not complaining. :)

32. GeoLurking says:

James Sexton says:
    March 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Anthony Watts says:
    March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do sheesh
    ==========================================================

It might be me, and my lack of attention to detail, but personally I would have been less confused by a bit more lead in as to what was going on.

I echo everyone’s appreciation for the effort and the coverage though. No complaints from me.

33. vukcevic says:

Just caught-up with this, I am sure experience of just listening and then meeting Lord M was well worth the effort, such occasions you should take as a well deserved personal luxury, bloging need not take precedence, we can wait.

34. Matthew W says:

Peter Laux says:
    March 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm
    “sheesh” sums it up nicely Anthony, the demands of non-contributors eh ?
    ==================================================================
    “Sheesh” indeed !!!!
    Keep up the GREAT work Anthony !!

35. Matthew W says:

“Still having thermostat trouble”
    Does Lord M have a reverse ALGORE effect????

36. Robert M says:

You are going to meet Gov. Moonbeam? Tell us, what is it like on that planet?

37. polistra says:

The pic of the maintenance man is poignant. He obviously has no idea why his action is significant enough to photograph, and seems to be worried that he might get in trouble with immigration.

I’ll bet he also doesn’t know why he can barely afford to heat his apartment in the winter.

38. Hot under the collar says:

Anthony, when they said you need to get out more I don’t think that’s what they meant :-)
    Hope you enjoyed it inspite of live blogging to an ungrateful lot!

39. Gail Combs says:

Thank you Anthony and a very big thank you to Lord Monckton.

40. blogagog says:

I hate to break it to you, but if you have thermostat trouble, it means AGW. Michael Mann told me so.

41. Bill says:

My thanks too for your time , Anthony

42. Anthony, thank you for your work. David Corcoran, thank you for the tip. I’m in San Diego, and I’m going to go.

43. theduke says:

He did a great job, considering he was on a cellphone, for gawdsakes. I for one find it nearly impossible to type more than three letters in a row without hitting the letter next to the one I’m aiming for.

Thanks, Anthony, for all you do. Look forward to hearing about your meeting with Gov. Brown.

44. Roger Carr says:

Thanks for this, Anthony. A cool sense of immediacy.

45. Dave Worley says:

As one who also suffers hearing difficulties in a crowded room, I know how difficult that can be.
    I’d say that’s as good a live blog as anyone can expect using a cell phone.
    You are appreciated!

46. Charles Greenlaw says:

I was also there in that room; it was packed long before the appointed hour and I arrived early in expectation of that — it’s typical of legislative committee meeting room gatherings. I was grateful for excellent air conditioning in that room in the oldest part of the nicely rebuilt and upgraded state capitol building.

You noted, “Crowd well behaved.” No surprise as the audience was heavily fellow Tea Party members from outlying communities — Lincoln, Roseville, Grass Valley, Lodi, etc., none wearing their colors. Respect for decorum in that elegant venue comes naturally to us and, as I’ve witnessed, in-room sergeants-at-arms tolerate no disruptive behavior or demonstrations. No Occupiers or other protesters were in evidence. This evening’s repeat is in the student union at CSU Sacramento and could be otherwise.

Lord Monckton was indeed the celebrity rock star to this audience, deservedly so. His cheerful presentation was candidly credible in a genteel, understated way as one expects from an English gentleman, adroitly leaving it to the listener to fill in from his/her own intellect that the case for controlling CO2 is built on serial episodes of cause-consumed scientists’ manipulation and false witness, that the economic cost of implementing California’s AB32 ambition to reduce this state’s CO2 emissions by 25% will obtain negligible reduction in global warming at a cost ten times that needed to adapt to all-cause warming is prohibitive, and that repeal of 2006-enacted AB32 is the only good remedy.

Anthony, thanks for attending and reporting on this event in trying conditions.

47. Joanie says:

Thank you for the link, David Corcoran… I signed up and shared with a few friends too. :-) Looking forward to seeing him in person.

Joanie in Carlsbad

48. gregole says:

Anthony,

Thanks and a big “right on!” Lord Monkton addressing California power brokers – that is a big story and I am glad it happened and it’s great to hear about it on your fine blog. Your hard work is appreciated.

49. Gail Combs says:

polistra says:
    March 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm

….A good reminder that these battles are really being fought for the survival of those ordinary working-class and elderly folks who are dying of famine and cold because of ethanol and Carbon Taxes. It’s not really a battle for the triumph of one theory over another.
    ___________________________________
    Amen,

I came into this from the side because of the “Attack” on farming. We traced it to the World Trade Organization and the UN. It turned out to be a three prong attack, Money, Energy and Food.

50. gregole says:

Oh, and I might add that this is exactly what will really turn the tide in the climate wars – that is a direct assault on the lawmakers of the land to let them know there is an informed, involved, connected, voting, and candidate supporting population out there wise to climate change topics and that man-made CO2 just might not be the primary driver; and further that ill-informed political decisions to limit CO2 without due consideration to economic and environmental impacts will be noted; and remembered come election time.

Please, California residents contact your representatives and highlight this meeting – it could serve as a political touchstone and start turning the tide against the foolish and ill-considered California approach to climate-change.

California has awesome resources, and brilliant great people, and great companies. I moved my company from California in 2004 to Arizona due to the intrusive clueless government policies. We still do a ton of business in Cali, but you guys have to stand up to the nonsense in Sacramento. It is out of hand and smart people are fleeing.

Attitudes have to change and there is increasingly no margin for foolishness. It is a global economy and there are other smart people in the world.

51. François GM says:

Anthony, Lord Monckton or Charles Greenlaw,
    I have a couple of questions:
    1. Who invited Lord Monckton to speak ?
    2. Is there any political significance to this event ? IOW, is scepticism less politically incorrect among CA politicians than it was 2-3 years ago, say before Climategate?

52. Schadow says:

Just as well that Moonbeam split on you. He would not have known what you and the Viscount were talking about anyway.

53. RockyRoad says:

I just wish I lived close enough to have attended. Good story–what happened in your private meeting w/ the guv, Anthony? Can you tell us about it?

54. Bill S says:

Hey sheesh dude!
    You think youse can compete with WUWT with some kinda live blog!
    You be nobody compared to WUWT!

Now what is that thing I am supposed to end with. :-)

55. J.H. says:

You’re efforts are appreciated Anthony…. Eyes on validation of an event is fine by me. I don’t need fireworks or special effects to go with my facts.

Mr Monckton’s is entertaining, theatrical and his science is impeccable…. Mr Watts isn’t so much the entertainer, he carries those fact just so far then plonks ‘em down an’ points at them. Up to us to make use of it…… and since he’s been doing this, millions have.

Keep up the good work Anthony….. Assign Kenji “the concerned scientist” to the entertainment role…. He’s a natch. ;-)

56. Alexander K says:

Anthony, don’t let the trolls get to you – you and your hard and constant work are appreciated by the huge majority of those who read WUWT every day.

57. Jeef says:

Some people want the moon on a stick. I’ll settle for reality. Thanks Anthony!

58. Policy Guy says:

Anthony,

It was so good to meet you. I’m very glad that you were there and had the opportunity to meet top staff in the Governor’s office with Lord M. I’m also very pleased that I had the opportunity to meet you and have a short verbal exchange.

Please disregard your negative commenters here. They weren’t there (to their regret). There were no negative commenters at the event. It was pleasant, high class and very informative.

Very well done.

Please note that for the exception of Senator Rod Wright, this event was boycotted by the Democrats in the CA legislature. So is CAGW a political or scientific issue? If it was conceived to be scientific wouldn’t one think some of the Dems would have been there? Sure looks like its basis is political. Imagine that.

59. Greg, San Diego, CA says:

Just got my ticket to Lord Monckton’s address in San Diego. What a privilege that will be – can’t wait!

60. nil illegitimi carborundum

Your efforts are appreciated by far more than the odd armchair wanna-be

Keep up the good work – I have no idea how you manage to turn out such a high quantity of such high quality posts – and then all the moderating you do on top – I struggle to keep up with just the odd contribution

Andi

61. jaymam says:

I was privileged to meet Lord Monckton when he gave a series of meetings in New Zealand last August.
    I have 50 pictures from his lecture, which was well received by the audience. Here’s one picture:

The NZ Government Minister most responsible for introducing a carbon tax in NZ resigned in disgrace yesterday for unrelated reasons.

I’m sorry but I am logged into WordPress correctly under my usual email address but WordPress is not allowing me to use my usual email address here.
    I think WordPress has bugs.

62. Olavi says:

Anthony, What kinda feelings there was in generally?

63. joe says:

Thanks for covering that, Anthony, Now the event won’t go down the memory hole.

If I had know the viscount was coming I might have gone downtown to see him myself.

-Joe

64. Barry Elledge says:

Anthony, do you recall the name and position of the aide with whom you and Moncton spoke? Did he know anything about the topic? Ask any probing questions? Seem to care one way or the other? It would be edifying to know whether the Gov actually is entertaining doubts about the wisdom of Green Goddess worship, or instead merely wanted to keep the both of you out of sight for a while.

65. philincalifornia says:

I just got back from his 7:00pm lecture at Sacramento State. It was excellent. If anyone doubts his abilities at recall, the opening, lengthy remark about how he was going to call a spade a spade (had a huge spontaneous burst of applause from the audience), and then his closing remarks quoting from Longfellow – wow. Standing ovation.

I’m still wondering, how can a performance like that that be for free ?? Big Oil subsidies, has to be, ha ha ha !!!!!

It was akin to Pink Floyd playing in my back yard.

66. Geoff Sherrington says:

Anthony, appreciate the effort. Merely keeping up with Lord Monckton’s information-rich conversation can make you tired.
    Of incidental future interest, Nikon released a completely new camera concept last Christmas, the Nikon 1. Because I’m an addicted early adopter, I bought one, a V1 variant. It’s amazing. It has no mirror, it is very small, has 10.1 MPx detector & it can take full HD video 1920 x 1080 at 30 frames per second, built in stereo microphone + jack for external, even a selection of recorded background music built in. About 20 mins per battery charge on highest performance quality. Or, if you wish, you can do slow mo at 1,200 fps or time lapse at 20 sec frame intervals. The whole lot, with 2 lenses from 30 mm wide to 300 mm tele in 35mm terms should cost under $1,500 in the USA. You would not need extra lighting in the room you show. Indeed, even in darkness it has no external knobs or lens rings to change aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc, these all being automatic unless you choose the manual menu. Face recognition and tracking are there too.
    Accessories are still being released but I can imagine that before long a live broadcast (rules permitting) would be possible at very good quality, with a very shallow learning curve. Anyone want to give Anthony one to evaluate?

67. Missed your entire live blogging, Anthony, but made up by reading it later with all the comments here. Thanks very much for the hard work!

68. Galane says:

How can we get Lord Monckton to do his presentation at Boise State University? There’s plenty of watermelons here, despite Idaho’s rep as the “reddest” State.

Then there’s the Idaho Statesman birdcage liner. That rag has never met an unfounded pro AGW article they won’t print. Still no retraction or apology for printing some big rant about the phony Heartland Institute memo.

69. Stephen Richards says:

Ant – I think a lot of confusion arose because of the recently posted talk by Moncton on WUWT. There was an impression that this was a repost but with rather less detail than the original.

Certainly, when I saw it I couldn’t make out what it was all about. Whether it was new, old, a repeat or something else, That’s all.

I trust the trip wasn’t too onerous and that you gained some insights into the way your Gov was not thinking.

Many thanks
    Stephen

70. M Courtney says:

As a Brit I have nothing to say on how California runs it’s policies without my being asked. But I am very glad that they are inviting Brits who do have something to say.

And Anthony, I thought your coverage was informative and appropriate for the event.
    Would anyone want you to disrupt the talk in order to take photos?

71. philincalifornia said

‘Calling Phil Jones one of the creepiest scientists he had ever met was a new one to me. I thought the guy was just a sub-mediocre English, yes sub-mediocre (as in sub-mediocre squared) academic gone wrong. Creepy it is then.’

I’m not sure sub mediocre is fair, I would say merely ‘average’ as is Dr Mann himself. The number of exceptional objective scientists working in an open minded fashion in this field is not great. Their talent comes from gaining an incredulous audience through their work.
    tonyb

72. Aussie Luke Warm says:

Yeah, I enjoyed the sense of immediacy captured in this somewhat unusual style of report. I reckon that some contemporary novelists should study the post to get some inspiration on narrative perspective. I’ll go so far as to say, almost as good as William Faulkner’s first Quentin’s monologue in The Sound & the Fury, Anthony, but in this case it’s Mann who’s jumped in the lake with the horse shoes in his coat pockets. That’s the power of Monkton.

73. Wendy says:

Thanks for this Anthony! I hope you’ve found that the vast majority appreciate your efforts!
    Now if Lord Monckton would just make a stop in Houston………. :-D

74. Chris B says:

Anthony,

A wise friend once told me, “No good deed goes unpunished”.

Thanks for not posting my “Empty post?” comment at the start of your live blog. After Jay’s clumsy comment I felt bad that my comment could have been interpreted as critical. I simply misread your blog post on my iphone.

Thanks for your work.

75. Mardler says:

Ignore the naysayers, Sir. That was valuable stuff so keep it up and thanks.

76. Nisse says:

So was he or was he not the scientific advisor of Tatcher? If he got that sorted out now I might give him an ear. But he has been refuted so many times I guess its a WOT.

77. theduke says:

As a die-hard warmist, Brown was obviously intimidated by the Lord Monckton’s brilliance and intensity.

They are all ducking for cover these days . . .

78. David A says:

Anthony, any further details on the political reaction to this is appreciated, Thanks.
    I will be going to the San Diego conference. Are there any WUWT regulars also going?

79. David A says:

BTW, there were actually three article in the student newspaper of the University in New York
    and
    plus of course the originalone lincked in the article,
    As it is rare to get these students to read anything it is an opportunity to try. In the original link I have had an ongoing debate with Eric Adler, the only CAGW advocate trying to make cogent arguments. Feel free to join me, and drop a line on the other articles also.

80. Brian H says:

To all kvetchers: as I was once stiffly reminded (with a 3 day suspension), Anthony’s hearing is very marginal, so details of questions etc. are very hard for him to pick up.

Based on experience to date, those booking Lord M would be wise to reserve space double what they expect to need. And then prepare to deal with overflow.

81. JohnA says:

Jerry Brown has said that he considers deniers to be mentally ill. No wonder he dodged the meeting. If he faced the facts, he’d have to rewrite his entire life narrative. Imagine, he’s spent so much of our money on a problem that really doesn’t exist–how could he look himself in the mirror? He fled the monckton meeting to save his career.

82. Allen says:

The Guv is a politician who should know when to avoid a PR disaster. Meeting with Monckton would be a PR disaster.

83. Warning — One of San Diego’s CAGW activists is urging fellow believers to crash Monckton’s presentation. So b e prepared for some disruption from those tolerant leftists:
    caerbannog at 05:55 AM on 21 March, 2012
    Just found out that “Lord” Monckton will be appearing here in San Diego on the 24th.
    Details here:
    Monckton will be giving a presentation at the Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice Theatre, 5998 Acala Park, University of San Diego, Saturday Mar 24 at 7PM.
    A California Assemblyman from east San Diego County (our own “cultural” outback) will be MC’ing the event.
    Of course, I don’t expect that folks from Down Under will be likely to pop by ;) ;), but if anyone here knows any San Diego area scientists (like folks at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography — SIO is just a few minutes from USD) who might be interested in “crashing Monckton’s party”, please pass this along to them
    Rather short notice, but this event is being promoted to Tea-Partiers and right-wing GOP types here (with very little notice being given to the general public).
    New info: Pre-registration for the event is available here.
    Source: Skeptical Science (http://s.tt/17Jkm)

84. This is a note of heartfelt thanks to Anthony Watts, who very kindly made a 180-mile round trtp so that he could provide a live feed in very crowded and difficult circumstances from the committee room at the State Capitol in Sacramento.

It was very kind of Anthony to give up so much of his time to provide live coverage, and also to post up a copy of a summary of my testimony. The moderators did a good job of proof-reading the document, which contained a number of typos because I wrote it at 2 am after having flown into Sacramento from London, Ontario, where I had had the honor to present the annual Nerenberg Lecture on Mathematics at the University of Western Ontario. That lecture will be available online in due course, with the slides in place.

Tonight I’m in Bakersfield: tomorrow in San Diego. Then to Chicago, and from there via Toronto to Colorado, and so back to the UK for a few weeks’ sleep!

85. Carter says:

Here is a good take on Monckton’s position!

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCoi94n0aJg&feature=colike ]

86. Jay says:

Sorry, James. I should have chosen better words for my comment above. I would like you to know that I do appreciate your efforts. When I first came to this page, it lacked any description that it was live-blogged from a cell phone. If I had known that, I wouldn’t have been a dick about it.

Again, my apologies.
    J

87. Jay says:

Dang. I meant to say “Sorry, Anthony.” I got confused as to which site I was on for a moment…

88. Gail Combs says:

Nisse says:
    March 22, 2012 at 7:58 am

_______________________________
    Well it looks like you will be listening to him from now on because he did clear that up on January 11 of this year.

From the link: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/01/11/monckton-responds-to-potholer54/
    Monckton responds to Peter Hadfield aka “potholer54″ – plus Hadfield’s response….

Monckton: The allegations, with my answers, are as follows:

Peter Hadfield: “Monckton says he advised Margaret Thatcher on climate change. He didn’t.”

Monckton: I did.

89. Monckton goes into the belly of the beast—the Sacramento Capitol Building.

Not one to shy away from the fun!

90. Gail Combs

Peter Hadfield aka “potholer54″ says “please return to the debate”. So silly. We should thank him for adding to the erratic behavior recently in global warming believers. He is just taking shots all over the map hoping to make something stick. One thing he is hitting is global warming credo. They used to say, and said it for years, that there is “no debate”, and it was “beyond debate” that man was warming the planet. Now all Peter Hadfield can do is cry that he can’t find someone to debate—but of course he could since there have been standing invitations for debate from “skeptics” for years. Maybe Mr. Hadfield could show up at the next Heartland conference. He would be welcomed.

So now “potholer54″ shoots the heck out of that “beyond debate” thingy. The latest iteration in global warming doctrine must be “there is only debate and you won’t debate us”. How long will it be before Al (Al baby) Gore gets off that “beyond debate” horse and starts saying “debate me, debate me”?

Oh what a tangled web…………..

91. Smokey says:

Peter Hadfield is a chicken. He is terrified of a real debate with Lord Monckton, who would surely rub Hadfield’s nose in the playground sand for all the world to see.

A formal debate is a verbal duel, with a specific scientific debate Question asked, which is then debated in a moderated setting. Both sides have equal opportunity to speak. Hadfield cannot use his ad hominem video attacks in a real debate. He had his chance. Now it is Lord Monckton’s turn to set the debate agenda. If Hadfield refuses, it is only because he is a chicken. Everything else is just an excuse.

Hadfield was given the first opportunity to attack Lord Monckton. Hadfield was the challenger, and as expected, he played dirty. But since Hadfield was given the chance to provide the first challenge, he presumes that he has the right to set the terms of any and all future debates.

Hadfield is wrong. Basic fairness requires that this time, Lord Monckton has the right to choose the debate setting. The rules of the duel [#16] require that the challenged party [Lord Monckton] has the choice of weapons. Formal debate has been his choice in the past, but Hadfield is too chicken to engage in a real debate. Drive-by video propaganda is his cowardly choice.

Hadfield needs to quit crying like a spoiled child, man up, and appear at a formal, moderated debate. But he won’t, and we know why: Hadfield is a chicken.

92. Carter says:

‘Peter Hadfield is a chicken. He is terrified of a real debate with Lord Monckton, who would surely rub Hadfield’s nose in the playground sand for all the world to see’. you think so? Well watch

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZKzJwMOWAI&feature=g-all-u&context=G21d3f10FAAAAAAAAHAA ]

93. Carter says:

[SNIP: People who start with insults don't get their comments posted. Check the site policy here and then try again. -REP]

Comments are closed.