Monckton addresses California Assembly Committee

This was a live blog of this event held at the State Capital in committee, meeting room 127. Brevity is due to blogging on my cell phone.

Live Blogging

image

Maintenance guy adjusting thermostat down to keep people from keeling over in packed room. Hansen would have turned it up like 1988

image

Monckton has arrived shaking hands in a packed room

image

Lots of people handing out Eco flyers now.

Packed room the air is thick. Standing room only.

Monckton making a point to greet everyone he can.

Session started

image

State Assemblyman Dan Logue at right of Monckton in center chair.

Various introductions and statements now.

Monckton starts with “unsettled” science

image

Slide says ipcc credibility gap

Now onto the skeptic argument and climate history

image

Feedback

Drawing some laughs commenting on ipcc

Graph on cycles now and where are we measuring within cycles

Hockey stick trick description, citing M& M and preference for software to make HS shape by 390x

91 people in a room designed for 50 by my count people still trying to get in

Talking about censored folder and Mann data wipes out MWP when used

Now onto hide the decline

Monckton taking questions from committee

Now onto AR3 and changes to final draft to change conclusion

Showing actual data diverges from models now

454 trillion $ per degree F global

image

Still having thermostat trouble

Citing a quote from David Archibald

“West no longer the problem”

CA losing major manufacturers

Biofuels and diversion of food and funds from other worthy projects

Talk concluding 2:35pm

Applause

Next speaker

Now q and a from committee

Crowd well behaved

image

Guy on the end of dais making a 15 minute speech now…question anywhere?

Committee chair shuts him down with courtesy, draws big laugh.

Copies of Jo nova’s skeptic handbook being passed out to some committee members

Just now got to sit down after standing 1.5 hours some people leaving as q and a winds down.

325pm session ends with closing remarks

Monckton and I invited to governor’s office for private meeting

——————————-

UPDATE 745 PM Governor ducked our meeting, passed us off to an aide. Hope to have update on this and full presentation tomorrow, pretty beat after 90 mile drive back.

Hmm… I’d comment on the content, but there just doesn’t seem to be any. Repeat of yesterday? Or is this just a post about waiting on Monckton?

Jenn Oates

Hey, I’ve spoken in that same exact committee room a couple of times before (in another life). small world!

Where in California? How long will he be visiting?

LazyTeenager

Tiny room, not many people.
Should show photo of back and sides of room.

Xiver1972

@James Sexton
I believe Mr. Watts is updating this live. It looks to be more of a play by play account of what is happening.

Ditto James’s comment. Is this supposed to be some sort of psuedo live-blogging thing? Because if it is… it’s crap.
Is there a repost option available? I love Monckton. Please avoid cheapening his lectures.

David Corcoran

Thanks Anthony.
For any who can attend: Lord Monckton is speaking in San Diego this Saturday.

Jantar

Well done Anthony. I’ve followed this live blog from photo No1, but didn’t want to interupt by posting before the end.

Jack

Thankyou Anthony. Living in Australia, I appreciate it.

Well Mr. Watts I think you deserve a big thank you for the effort you put into it with the tools you had available to you.
Thank You.

Paul

Great to see the inside and show this event happening to place these events in context for us who aren’t there. Nice reporting to compliment the earlier post of the presentation statistics and main points.

Pay the ” live-blogging skeptics” no mind, Anthony. hee hee hee. I enjoyed it all the same.

u.k.(us)

Anthony Watts says:
March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm
Live Blogging next time I won’t bother if this is the thanks I get for 90 mile drive and time out of my day to bring this to you.
Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do sheesh
=============
I took about a 90 mile drive in my summer car, to look for bird kills at my nearest windfarm in northwest Illinois. It turns out the roads aren’t very good, so I guess I’m gonna have to fuel up my SUV to get a close look.

Thanks for the effort Anthony, people forget you are a one man band, and don’t have a sound man, camera man and the rest of the staff a main stream news crew would have on scene.
Hope you could capture audio for later transcription or play.
Larry

kbray in california

Thanks for covering that. I was interested in his visit.
Hope you stay for his evening talk there in Sacramento.
I heard him interviewed on the radio this morning and he is fantastic.
Nice if you two could share a meal…

Great post!
I enjoy “seeing” the event and the room. Can you remember any of the comments or questions?
Thanks for going there!

John N

Bradley J. Fikes says:
March 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm
____________________
Sacramento.
I believe he is also speaking at 7p at Sac State.

Mark

While I appreciate the effort you’ve gone to with this Anthony, I wonder if a proper write-up after the event would be better (ie more detailed). Perhaps a sequel / update to this post at some point? The trouble is, as a blog post (especially one on *this* site) it’s got very little information content compared to the usual posts we get here.
Just a thought, but perhaps consider seeing if you have some readers near Monckton’s next stop: with enough time maybe they can help set up a camera to stream it or something.

Peter Laux

“sheesh” sums it up nicely Anthony, the demands of non-contributors eh ?

Jeremy

Great. Thank you for covering this – history in the making!

I appreciate it!
Thanks Anthony, and thanks Lord Monckton.

Rick K

Anthony,
I appreciate your efforts! I enjoyed the play by play and the pics. I certainly would be interested in a summary write-up when you get the chance to find out more of the details about the goings-on.
Again, I thought it was great. I won’t find this anywhere else…

Tad

I’d like to hear this guy in person. Any idea if he has a public speaking schedule?

Gilbert G Leggett

Great job and thanks Mr. Watts. Yes, a full write up would be fine, but you’ve posted often and well on Lord Monckton. Kinda like the live, keepin’ it real aspect of this. peace

Ben

Anthony – Thanks for your efforts. How was the Q&A segment?
Any good questions? Did anyone try to offer counter arguments or objections?

LazyTeenager says:
March 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm
“Tiny room, not many people.”
Nitpick much? That’s a committee meeting, dopey. That’s the Committee, see? From the article: “91 people in a room designed for 50”. Notice that every chair is taken and people are standing along the wall. Sheesh. Get a life. There’s a real world outside your mom’s basement.

Anthony Watts says:
March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm
Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do sheesh
==========================================================
lol, Thanks A—– I didn’t understand what you were up to. Did you get to interact with any of the people? No points of contention?

kramer

Tad says:
March 21, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Same here and I would hope he is speaking somewhere in Southern CA.
And thanks Anthony for live blogging this event.

Louis Hooffstetter

Go Smokey!

Jenn Oates

I’m not complaining, Anthony! A little pissy that he’s ten miles up the road and I’m not able to meet him, but not complaining. 🙂

GeoLurking

James Sexton says:
March 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Anthony Watts says:
March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm
Try this on a cellphone and see how well you do sheesh

==========================================================

It might be me, and my lack of attention to detail, but personally I would have been less confused by a bit more lead in as to what was going on.
I echo everyone’s appreciation for the effort and the coverage though. No complaints from me.

Just caught-up with this, I am sure experience of just listening and then meeting Lord M was well worth the effort, such occasions you should take as a well deserved personal luxury, bloging need not take precedence, we can wait.

Peter Laux says:
March 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm
“sheesh” sums it up nicely Anthony, the demands of non-contributors eh ?
==================================================================
“Sheesh” indeed !!!!
Keep up the GREAT work Anthony !!

“Still having thermostat trouble”
Does Lord M have a reverse ALGORE effect????

Robert M

You are going to meet Gov. Moonbeam? Tell us, what is it like on that planet?

polistra

The pic of the maintenance man is poignant. He obviously has no idea why his action is significant enough to photograph, and seems to be worried that he might get in trouble with immigration.
I’ll bet he also doesn’t know why he can barely afford to heat his apartment in the winter.

Hot under the collar

Anthony, when they said you need to get out more I don’t think that’s what they meant 🙂
Hope you enjoyed it inspite of live blogging to an ungrateful lot!

Gail Combs

Thank you Anthony and a very big thank you to Lord Monckton.

blogagog

I hate to break it to you, but if you have thermostat trouble, it means AGW. Michael Mann told me so.

Bill

My thanks too for your time , Anthony

Anthony, thank you for your work. David Corcoran, thank you for the tip. I’m in San Diego, and I’m going to go.

theduke

He did a great job, considering he was on a cellphone, for gawdsakes. I for one find it nearly impossible to type more than three letters in a row without hitting the letter next to the one I’m aiming for.
Thanks, Anthony, for all you do. Look forward to hearing about your meeting with Gov. Brown.

Roger Carr

Thanks for this, Anthony. A cool sense of immediacy.

Dave Worley

As one who also suffers hearing difficulties in a crowded room, I know how difficult that can be.
I’d say that’s as good a live blog as anyone can expect using a cell phone.
You are appreciated!

Charles Greenlaw

I was also there in that room; it was packed long before the appointed hour and I arrived early in expectation of that — it’s typical of legislative committee meeting room gatherings. I was grateful for excellent air conditioning in that room in the oldest part of the nicely rebuilt and upgraded state capitol building.
You noted, “Crowd well behaved.” No surprise as the audience was heavily fellow Tea Party members from outlying communities — Lincoln, Roseville, Grass Valley, Lodi, etc., none wearing their colors. Respect for decorum in that elegant venue comes naturally to us and, as I’ve witnessed, in-room sergeants-at-arms tolerate no disruptive behavior or demonstrations. No Occupiers or other protesters were in evidence. This evening’s repeat is in the student union at CSU Sacramento and could be otherwise.
Lord Monckton was indeed the celebrity rock star to this audience, deservedly so. His cheerful presentation was candidly credible in a genteel, understated way as one expects from an English gentleman, adroitly leaving it to the listener to fill in from his/her own intellect that the case for controlling CO2 is built on serial episodes of cause-consumed scientists’ manipulation and false witness, that the economic cost of implementing California’s AB32 ambition to reduce this state’s CO2 emissions by 25% will obtain negligible reduction in global warming at a cost ten times that needed to adapt to all-cause warming is prohibitive, and that repeal of 2006-enacted AB32 is the only good remedy.
Anthony, thanks for attending and reporting on this event in trying conditions.

Joanie

Thank you for the link, David Corcoran… I signed up and shared with a few friends too. 🙂 Looking forward to seeing him in person.
Joanie in Carlsbad

gregole

Anthony,
Thanks and a big “right on!” Lord Monkton addressing California power brokers – that is a big story and I am glad it happened and it’s great to hear about it on your fine blog. Your hard work is appreciated.

Gail Combs

polistra says:
March 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm
….A good reminder that these battles are really being fought for the survival of those ordinary working-class and elderly folks who are dying of famine and cold because of ethanol and Carbon Taxes. It’s not really a battle for the triumph of one theory over another.
___________________________________
Amen,
I came into this from the side because of the “Attack” on farming. We traced it to the World Trade Organization and the UN. It turned out to be a three prong attack, Money, Energy and Food.

gregole

Oh, and I might add that this is exactly what will really turn the tide in the climate wars – that is a direct assault on the lawmakers of the land to let them know there is an informed, involved, connected, voting, and candidate supporting population out there wise to climate change topics and that man-made CO2 just might not be the primary driver; and further that ill-informed political decisions to limit CO2 without due consideration to economic and environmental impacts will be noted; and remembered come election time.
Please, California residents contact your representatives and highlight this meeting – it could serve as a political touchstone and start turning the tide against the foolish and ill-considered California approach to climate-change.
California has awesome resources, and brilliant great people, and great companies. I moved my company from California in 2004 to Arizona due to the intrusive clueless government policies. We still do a ton of business in Cali, but you guys have to stand up to the nonsense in Sacramento. It is out of hand and smart people are fleeing.
Attitudes have to change and there is increasingly no margin for foolishness. It is a global economy and there are other smart people in the world.

François GM

Anthony, Lord Monckton or Charles Greenlaw,
I have a couple of questions:
1. Who invited Lord Monckton to speak ?
2. Is there any political significance to this event ? IOW, is scepticism less politically incorrect among CA politicians than it was 2-3 years ago, say before Climategate?