And….we’re back

After announcing the migration yesterday, the past 24 hours have been very stressful for me. About 11AM PDT yesterday, the migration began to move WUWT to a new much more secure and feature rich cloud server. It didn’t go well, and took far longer than I expected.

There were issues with the server SSL certificate, apparently, the SSL doesn’t become valid until DNS changes fully propagate. That was news to me, and the reason that some people got errors yesterday that the site “may be dangerous” because the SSL certificate wasn’t valid.

Propagation took an unusually long time, with the major issue being with Google’s public DNS servers, which didn’t get the memo until just before 10AM this morning. Now, once that log-jam broke, it appears we are essentially correctly referenced world-wide.

I have a long history with Google and repression. Me and our stable of guest authors write unpopular content, questioning the veracity of many outlandish claims about global warming. It’s inconvenient for some that we’ve been so successful.

Al Gore is on the BOD of Google was on the advisory board to Google, and in 2009 after I broke the story about ClimateGate he apparently lobbied Google to have me censured. Google abruptly and without explanation cancelled Google Adwords on my wordpress.com hosted site. Higher-ups at WordPress wanted to know why (they were losing revenue, after all), had a face-to-face meeting scheduled with Google the next week, and it was abruptly canceled the day before and they stopped returning calls.

My site’s treatment by Google is one of the strongest reasons the independent WordPress WordAds now exists, or so I’m told.

Through all this, WordPress and the WP staff (known as “happiness engineers”  have conducted themselves with fairness, dignity, and without political prejudice. My hat is off to all of you, because you do in fact uphold the spirit of “net neutrality” while offering a superior platform. They don’t do, evil, and I sincerely thank them their help and professionalism through it all.

This is my first post on the new WP cloud server, where I’ve been since November 2007. God help me if I had chosen Blogspot (now owned by Google and called blogger.com) over WordPress.com back then.

Now, onward, and we’ll see if we can’t get a number of thorny little problems fixed while expanding features. Some comments made yesterday may have been lost, and remain on the old site. There is little I can do about that, my apologies.

Thanks sincerely to everyone for their patience.

0 0 votes
M Courtney
May 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Congratulations.
These things never go as smoothly as planned.
But a target achieved is a good thing.

Curious George
Reply to  M Courtney
May 30, 2018 7:01 pm

First Murphy’s Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
First commentary to the first Murphy’s Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Reply to  Curious George
May 31, 2018 6:48 am

That’s why they call them “CONFUSERS”.

Bring back the slide rule and abacus !

commieBob
Reply to  M Courtney
May 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Every task takes twice as long as you think it will take. If you double the time you think it will take, it will take four times as long. link

Steve Briggs
Reply to  commieBob
May 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Mostly it’s that rascally factor of pi you forget, some times pi squared.

Bill T
Reply to  commieBob
May 31, 2018 2:44 am

True but I would add three times the cost. A successful manager knows this but will not plan openly but keep it to themselves. On the money side, if they can, the budget stays closed to prying eyes. Saw this with a major ship acquisition and the time and budget were way over the contracted budget but came in under the managers budget. He made Admiral.

Trevor
Reply to  commieBob
June 1, 2018 4:46 am

Just arrived here – was wondering why there hadn’t been a new post in the last day or two. Problem fixed now -thanks!

As for time estimates, my wife has a “rule” about my time estimates for getting things done around the house: “Double any number and then change to the next higher unit of time.”

This means that she allows 10 hours for a job that I say will take 5 minutes, and 4 days for something I say will be done in “a couple of hours.” This is based on years of observation.

In my defence, there is a difference in what we are talking about. My estimate is the actual working time, without allowance for getting the tools out, going to the hardware store to buy something I couldn’t find after looking for it for an hour, and then having a beer while confirming the final plan of attack in my mind.

michel
May 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, on balance, a huge move, and considering everything, not done badly at all. Some accidents are inevitable. You got away lightly. And well done for giving deserved credit to WordPress.

May 30, 2018 6:11 pm

The like and vote buttons are gone?

Samuel C Cogar
May 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Anthony,

If I had my druthers, ……. I would prefer that the new WUWT “cloud” server was transmitting ….. Times New Roman font and 11 point type ……. rather than the Helvetica font and 10 point type.

That 10pt type make for “slow” reading for an ole timer like myself whose eyesight is not that great as it use to be.

Sam C

Richard Burkel
Reply to  Samuel C Cogar
May 31, 2018 4:27 am

That would be easier on the eye. At least the front is black; there’s a special place in hell for all those designers who use pastels for their fonts.

Reply to  Richard Burkel
May 31, 2018 5:55 pm

How do you get “pastels” in fonts?

graham dunton
Reply to  Samuel C Cogar
May 31, 2018 6:24 am

Sam, if you use a Firefox browser – you do have a zoom feature that will automatically increase text size- that make it easier to read,

jmichna
Reply to  graham dunton
May 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Yep… hold down the Ctrl key and hit you numerical keypad’s “+” sign. Works for most browsers.

Doug in Calgary
Reply to  graham dunton
May 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Also, hold down Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

4TimesAYear
Reply to  graham dunton
June 1, 2018 12:34 am

Pretty sure it magnifies the page for all browsers/windows. I use it frequently.

4TimesAYear
Reply to  graham dunton
June 1, 2018 12:36 am

I think you can also adjust (at least Windows systems) the computer to use your own specific font rather than what’s displayed in pages.

Reply to  Samuel C Cogar
May 31, 2018 11:58 am

Have to support Mr Cogar on that one, Anthony.

There’s a very good reason why newspapers use a serif font — it’s called readability. And TNR is still one of the best. For anyone beyond middle age using an iPad this is just too small and too grey. Headaches will follow!

Sam The First
Reply to  Newminster
May 31, 2018 5:25 pm

I’m over 70 and using an iPad. I just put two fingers lightly on my screen, and pulled them apart an inch. The text is now much bigger – magic, huh?

TonyG
Reply to  Samuel C Cogar
June 1, 2018 8:56 am

I’ve got mine CTRL+ up to 200% just to read comfortably. But the font looks like Times. It’s certainly a serif font.

I used to see this a lot with the old site, when the CSS didn’t always fully load – the font would remain a sans-serif and smaller. Often just a hard refresh would fix it.

Carbon Bigfoot
May 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Is there a way to adjust the font size as I and others have eye issues? AW you have ear problems so you should appreciate our difficulty.

Reply to  Carbon Bigfoot
May 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Hold down the Control key, and scroll the mouse wheel

Sommer
May 30, 2018 6:34 pm

It’s not possible to adjust the font size as you’ve advised on a MacBook Pro. Could anyone help me?

Bill
May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Or, [Ctrl]++/- (Control key plus the ‘+’ or ‘-‘ key to increase or decrease font size).

Sommer
May 30, 2018 6:45 pm

“Hold down the Control key, and scroll the mouse wheel” doesn’t work on my MacBook Pro. Can anyone help me to enlarge and darken the font so I can read comfortably. It was not a problem for me before the change.

Philip
May 30, 2018 7:12 pm

Command + to increse font size, command – to decrease.

greymouser70
May 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I have found that increasing the page size by 10% will take care of most problems

Warren Mitchell
May 31, 2018 9:22 am

My iPad does not have a mouse or control keys. I was content with the previous type and sized ee

Reply to  Warren Mitchell
May 31, 2018 9:34 am

Can’t you squeeze and expand using fingers? I thought iPads were famous for that feature.

Sommer
May 31, 2018 9:53 am

None of these suggestions work on a MacBook Pro. I’m grateful that people are trying to help.

Sommer
May 31, 2018 4:25 pm

It looks like the font visibility issue has been resolved. Thank you. I’m sorry if this detail added to the stress of the transition.

TonyG
June 1, 2018 9:00 am

@Sommer works on both of my macbook pros in all browsers to increase font size. I think is a windows-specific thing.

drednicolson
May 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Murphey’s Law, baby. Murphey’s Law.

Keith_J
May 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Love the new look and feel. Google is the anti Christ.

Ian_UK
May 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Compared to the UK’s TSB Bank migration, still not 100% sorted, it looks as if you’ve done very well. Great stuff.

Pat Frank
May 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Congratulations and well-done on the move Anthony. And I echo your thanks to Word Press for their adherence to professional and ethical integrity.

Perhaps the greatest surprise in the whole global warming/political thing is how readily, indeed how eagerly, so many people and so many institutions sacrificed integrity to politics. Living in freedom, they embrace tyranny.

May 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Well, congratulations, Anthony. Actually you had an easy migration – I’ve been involved in much worse ones.

On Google and your DNS propagation, I’m not sure you can blame bias for that. I have noted that they are rather challenged outside of their core competencies – and running DNS is not one of those. Blogs run on the BlogSpot platform, whether left, right, or neutral are essentially cripples with the number of outside sites that have to respond before the simplest page is brought up.

Reply to  Writing Observer
May 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Do you have data showing that Google is incompetent at managing DNS?

hanelyp
Reply to  Writing Observer
May 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I had the problem yesterday, and am not going through the google public DNS servers. Also, I have some experience operating a web server with https, and DNS propagation should not produce what I saw. Failure to install the correct cert on the server would. DNS directing the browser to a server trying to do man-in-the middle could also produce what I saw, though that implies a server other than the old and new addresses for the migration.

CommonA
Reply to  Writing Observer
May 30, 2018 10:26 pm

I agree on perhaps not being able to blame google Anthony.

Every DNS registry entry has a reload time (TTL) associated with it. The default could be 1 day, or 1 hour, depending on who/when set it up… it’s best to decrease this to a smaller amount (say 30 minutes) a period greater than the previous value before you know you are actually going to change it… that way, when you do make the change it will propagate faster… then once it’s done you can again increase the TTL to it’s lazy old value… unless you can prove Google was taking significantly longer than the previous TTL (which you did not specify in the post), then claims of conspiracy are a little premature?

Felix
May 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Prince Albert was a Google (now Alphabet) Advisory Board member in 2009, not on the BoD, as he was and is of Apple.

Not that the distinction makes any difference.

May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

The site ‘may be dangerous’

Well Anthony a lot of people in positions of power have thought that for some time. Long may it continue to be so.

tonyb

May 30, 2018 6:49 pm

So you use the Fallout test pattern?

JohnWho
Reply to  TomB
May 30, 2018 6:58 pm

With what somewhat looks like an Indian in “blackface”!?

William Astley
Reply to  TomB
May 30, 2018 7:12 pm

Glad you are back.

TomB: The picture shown is the typical picture for technical difficulties.

Google’s search engine monkey business needs to be limited by legislation.

This is a science based site. Articles included data, refer to peer reviewed published papers, article assertions are supported by observations and logic.

No harsh name calling. The quality of the articles and the quality of the comments is one of the reasons why this is the best climate site in the world.

The problem is science does not support CAGW, hence the need for the cult of CAGW and their friends to try to shutdown climate sites that are independent and thoughtful.

P.S. Love the new edit feature. Best wishes all.

Tom Halla
Reply to  William Astley
May 30, 2018 5:34 pm

I think legislation to deal with Google cooking searches is a bad idea. It should be dealt with by means of anti-trust, as regulation would tend to make Google a protected incumbent, like Ma Bell was.

Reply to  Tom Halla
May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

How do you “breakup” a “monopolistic” (*) search engine? What activities do you separate?

(*) monopoly, actor with too much market power, whatever

Tom Halla
Reply to  s-t
May 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Making the company sell off Youtube as an example.

Reply to  s-t
May 30, 2018 8:53 pm

YouTube has too much market power now anyway. DailyMotion had its chance, they wasted it.

If Google wasn’t co-owned with YouTube, then what? That might level the playing field in a market where there is one big name…

hanelyp
Reply to  Tom Halla
May 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Changing search engines is easy, once an offender is identified. Other online services (social networks) have network effect that make changing more difficult. But if certain pending EU legislation goes into effect (http://computingforever.com/2018/05/30/the-eu-is-about-to-destroy-the-internet-deleteart13/ ) it could do critical damage to any website that allows user comments and has legal exposure over there. I hope WUWT is a strictly US based operation.

Reply to  William Astley
May 30, 2018 9:00 pm

“Google’s search engine monkey business needs to be limited by legislation.”

Limited HOW?

What exactly have they done wrong?

How is the Google search engine not free speech?

commieBob
Reply to  TomB
May 30, 2018 12:34 pm

“Fallout” is new to me, we just called it the test pattern.

In its time the test pattern was highly useful. link In the early 1950s, test equipment was expensive and primitive. The test pattern was a godsend.

drednicolson
Reply to  commieBob
May 30, 2018 1:26 pm

He’s referring to the Fallout game franchise, which frequently uses retro-1950s imagery.

R.S. Brown
Reply to  commieBob
May 30, 2018 8:25 pm

As a youth I misspent many a late night with that test pattern on
after all three of the network stations in Cleveland went off the
air for the night…

Check out one of the final scenes in the movie Radioland
Murders
where the patrol officers sit around mesmerized by
this test pattern.

michael hart
May 30, 2018 6:57 pm

It’s good to hear that Word Press is a company populated by people with principles. Duly noted.

The Reverend Badger
May 30, 2018 6:58 pm

Well done Anthony. A few hours delay is pretty good for these kind of complicated computery things. At least you didn’t have to try switching it off and then switching it on again.

James Blake
May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

You need to check the TTL on your DNS records prior to performing that kind of migration. Sounds like the TTL was set higher than you expected?

dmacleo
May 30, 2018 2:56 pm

iirc any soap entry set to high ttl upon aws migration could cause this too. just been a bit so….I easily could be mike mann….I mean wrong.
however ….even WHEN changing nameservers set low ttl on both as (as you saw) it will cause some slowdowns.
man I have done way to many ns transfers LOL

Alan Watt Climate Denialist, Level 7
May 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Several levels of TTL here. The core nameservers — the ones that are authoritative for all subdomains of “.com” are one issue. Then the TTL on the records you publish through your nameservers are a second issue. All of these need to be considered when doing a migration. I get engaged frequently when “things aren’t working right” on migration night when if they’d called me the day before I could have prevented their problems. But once bad records are cached all over the internet there is nothing you can do.

So in your case, the core NS records are cycling between openhosting.com and wordpress.com. Strange but I get TTLs as high as a day on the core NS records. So if you change your nameservers, it could take up to a day before everyone is using the new ones. I’m not sure what you can do about the TTL and the core servers, if your changing them you need to be aware of that cache time and keep both old and new servers synced until the old core records time out.

The openhosting nameservers return a TTL of 1 hour on records in “wattsupwiththat.com”, which is reasonable. The wordpress servers also show a 1 hour TTL. What I don’t understand is how the core DNS servers seem to be out of sync on who is handling your domain.

In my experience, core DNS servers typically reflect updates at the registrar within minutes, so I should not be seeing what I am:

root@sun1:~# dig @a.gtld-servers.net. +norecurse wattsupwiththat.com ns

; <> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u15-Raspbian <> @a.gtld-servers.net. +norecurse wattsupwiththat.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26761
;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;wattsupwiththat.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
wattsupwiththat.com. 62173 IN NS ns3.openhostingservice.com.
wattsupwiththat.com. 62173 IN NS ns4.openhostingservice.com.
wattsupwiththat.com. 62173 IN NS ns5.openhostingservice.com.
wattsupwiththat.com. 62173 IN NS ns1.openhostingservice.com.
wattsupwiththat.com. 62173 IN NS ns2.openhostingservice.com.

;; Query time: 19 msec

;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;wattsupwiththat.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
wattsupwiththat.com. 13884 IN NS ns1.wordpress.com.
wattsupwiththat.com. 13884 IN NS ns2.wordpress.com.
wattsupwiththat.com. 13884 IN NS ns3.wordpress.com.

Querying the same authoritative core DNS server for ".com" shows two entirely different sets of nameservers which are supposed to be authoritative for your domain. With anycast DNS the "same" IP address could be many different physical servers but they are all supposed to be in sync.

Both sets of nameservers are providing the same address for "wattsupwiththat.com", so as far as I can tell this isn't causing a problem, but unless you're feeding both sets, eventually the zone will time out on the zombie servers (in about 14 days) and start returning NXDOMAIN (no such record). That will be disruptive.

I'd take this up with the registrar for your domain.

May 30, 2018 8:48 pm

“I thought that would override TTL setting”

Which is my point, you have no idea how DNS works. Or any cache. The point of a cache is that records that are still valid won’t be checked by asking a server, so nobody will notice that the server is changed.

It’s fine not be an expert in everything. Many people here are not Internet experts, so they shouldn’t impugn the behavior of Google tools in that case.

rbabcock
May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

I’ve done many migrations and if you can get it done in 48 hours, consider it a success.

As far as Google DNS. I doubt they purposely hung it up. It is generally a software managed process and it takes a while for a change to propagate out, especially through something as comprehensive as Google. If they have an issue with a DNS server, it may take them a while to diagnose and fix the issue.

But then again, your fears may be justified! I personally stay as far away from anything Google, from not using Android to using DuckDuckgo for searching and absolutely no gmail.

Thanks for everything, Anthony. People like you are rare.

Reply to  rbabcock
May 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Please describe the problems of “propagation” you have seen with Google Public DNS.

Craig
May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Like the sharp contrast of the website, very clean

son of mulder
May 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Having spent 30 years before I retired implementing all types of IT system it sounds like it all went pretty smoothly, as it should in our modern day. Keep up the good work.

Curious George
May 30, 2018 7:02 pm

“Google abruptly and without explanation cancelled Google Adwords on my wordpress.com hosted site.”
It is almost like meeting Al Gore in person.

David S
May 30, 2018 7:03 pm

My usual thinking on any project is that it will cost twice as much and take twice as long as originally planned.

son of mulder
Reply to  David S
May 30, 2018 7:13 pm

You clearly had the wrong Project Managers(;>)

Clyde Spencer
Reply to  David S
May 30, 2018 3:39 pm

David S,

That was my rule of thumb back in the days when I COULD work on cars. Now I let the dealer worry about it.

Alan Watt Climate Denialist, Level 7
Reply to  Clyde Spencer
May 31, 2018 1:21 pm

Good plan, that way it doesn’t take twice as long; it just costs twice as much.

JohnWho
May 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Hmm… I’m seeing “Awards” twice along the top.

Anyone else?

Leon Brozyna
May 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Slightly different look but still, much faster loading.

JohnWho
May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

OMG!

Now I cn make a mistake and go back and fix it!

/grin

Leon Brozyna
May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

The only obvious problem is that yesterday’s post from Willis has disappeared.

No sooner said than fixed. Talk about fast!

Tom in South Jersey
May 30, 2018 12:24 pm

It has been a long strange ride. Well worth the trip though. The new site seems very pleasant. Congratulations on a job well done.

Kevin Hearle
May 30, 2018 12:26 pm

The tips and notes page needs to be reversed in date order ie newest first and the Leave a Reply area at the top not the bottom of the page. Migration looks good

May 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Welcome back! It’s upward and onward from here.

Greg in Houston
May 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Glad you’re back! By the way, when you wrote “he apparently lobbied Google to have me censured,” I think you meant “censored?”

PS: Like the new ability to edit!

Timo V
May 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Congratulations! And Mr.Gore then… what a despicable human being he is, a back stabber!

whiten
May 30, 2018 1:17 pm

What is this blue “star” “like” thingy for….does it work, and if does how does it??!!

Leally leally love the edit button…option…:)))

3 lines, five edits….going a be fun. 🙂

Gunga Din
Reply to  whiten
May 30, 2018 1:34 pm

I see the “blue star” followed by “Loading…” ??

M Courtney
Reply to  whiten
May 30, 2018 1:36 pm

The Like button highlights comments that are approved of by the majority of readers on the site and so facilitates groupthink.

If everyone was signed in to WordPress it would be very damaging.

But as it is you should take it as an advert for Newcy Brown.

Gunga Din
Reply to  M Courtney
May 30, 2018 1:56 pm

“Like” button?
I don’t see that either.
Should it be at the bottom of a comment?

Gunga Din
Reply to  whiten
May 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Edit button? I don’t see one.
(I also don’t the other reply to your comment I made a couple of minutes ago.)

Gunga Din
Reply to  Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Now I see the reply. Just a delay, I guess.

Gunga Din
Reply to  Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 1:48 pm

And I see the “Edit” for the first time.
(But all the “blue stars” are still followed by “Loading…”)

Chic Bowdrie
May 30, 2018 1:32 pm

Testing 1, 2, 3…

And well done for giving deserved credit to WordPress.

GoatGuy
May 30, 2018 1:43 pm

I hope for the best. It is always somewhat traumatic moving cloud servers and services. That people now have an option to vote is nice. Good luck! < bold > < italic >

1sky1
May 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Portages are never easy, especially over tricky ground. May the new, cloud-based server continue to support a relentless reach for clearer conception of physical reality in an age of fictional scenarios streaming from unproven computer models and politically ambitious minds.

1sky1
May 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Portages are always difficult, especially over tricky ground.

John Harmsworth
May 30, 2018 2:06 pm

I chopped down a tree and looked at the rings and then did some S#!!y math and I am pleased to report that your new location will be even warmer and more welcoming than the present interglacial, internet-ial period..
Hang in there, Anthony!

John Harmsworth
May 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Seems to be an inordinate delay loading on google. I gave up and switched to YAHOO and it worked.

Bob
May 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for all you do, Anthony.

Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I’ve left a few comments about not seeing what others seeing.
I’m sure some of the issues might be on my end. (Protection software I run etc.)

Perhaps a screenshot of what a normal comment should now look like would be helpful?

PS

Al Gore is on the BOD of Google, and in 2009 after I broke the story about ClimateGate he apparently lobbied Google to have me censured. Google abruptly and without explanation cancelled Google Adwords on my wordpress.com hosted site.

There are some people who aren’t just unhappy if you disagree with you; they want to hurt you for doing so.

Reply to  Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Once you make a comment, and the page reloads to that published comment, right below your comment should be an “edit” button and a 5 minute countdown timer. You can edit the comment within that 5 minute window.

Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 2:33 pm

I’ve only seen the “Edit” button twice…maybe I refreshed or something too soon?
(I have to get off my PC for now so won’t be responding anytime soon.)

Gunga Din
Reply to  Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 2:20 pm

There are some people who aren’t just unhappy if you disagree with you;

Should be:

There are some people who aren’t just unhappy if you disagree with them;

Just when I needed the “Edit” button, it wasn’t there. 8-(

Reply to  Gunga Din
May 30, 2018 3:26 pm

You have a 5 minute edit window after posting a comment, then the ability to edit, and the button, disappears.

Björn
May 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Well , do not know if there is something wrong at my end, but when i enter the site now, I get lot of empty spaces at the top no picture or media visible, side bars etc gone , and have to switch off the page style ( set styling to “no style”) to be able to read anything.

Reply to  Björn
May 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Whatever the problem is, it is on your end. I suggest clearing your browser cache.

Björn
Reply to  Björn
May 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Meant to also paste a screen grab of what I see. But no dice , paste button grayed out. And if i refresh the page i get an error message about the page being unavailable saying something like ” no STL handshake ” or somethining such, but it disappers after a couple of seconds, and refreshes the page anyway it seems, And the response time seems to have become significatnly longer when i scroll down.

Reply to  Björn
May 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Again, whatever the problem is, it is on your end. Either your browser is outdated, has old cache, or you are running on an ancient system, or all of the above.

Gunga Din
May 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank you for patience as I learn the new “ins and outs” of this improvement.
I’ll “poke more” before I comment.

snopercod
May 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Testing…testing…

Man Bearpig
May 30, 2018 2:45 pm

great stuff Anthony. Much faster than the old site.

May 30, 2018 3:02 pm

FYI == At the moment https://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/ and https://wattsupwiththat.com/ return different pages.
I get https://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/ when I click My SIte/View Site from my WordPress page.

Click to edit works ! Nice addition. Kip

Suspect the above domain problem may be domain servers catching up still or some internal WP sever setting.

At https://wattsupwiththat.com/ I don’t see my WordPress toolbar at the top anymore.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 30, 2018 3:22 pm

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE

May 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Anthony ==> It will eventually clearup as DNS servers catch up — sometimes it can take hours and hours for all the DNS servers to replicate.
I am East Coast US and hitting DNS servers
209.18.47.61 and 209.18.47.62

At this moment, the dual sites still return for me here.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Once again, try clearing your browser cache. If you have shortcuts to go to these locations, they’ll need to be edited.

May 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Anthony ==> The WordPress blog site for WUWT is not synced to the current page.

The admin site for WUWT for authors is still pointed at wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 30, 2018 3:21 pm

No, it’s not, clear your browser cache.

May 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Anthony ==> It is no use repeating that over and over … I a just trying to ,alert you to a side situation. OF COURSE I CLEARED MY CACHES!

From here in N.Y., going to wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com returns an older version of the site about 14 hours old but does bring up the WordPress admin pages for WUWT.

Hitting http://www.wattsupwiththat.com brings up the newest site but not the WordPress admin toolbar despite being signed I to WordPress.

Comments seem to be at some intermediate stage between the two versions.

I have the same results using different machines running different browsers and different operating systems.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Kip,
I think the problem is that if you ask for a url http://wattsupwiththat.com… it sends you to the old version. If you change http to https it should be OK.

hanelyp
Reply to  Nick Stokes
May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

http and https should send you to the same server. What the server does with those 2 depends on server settings, and may or may not be the same content.

Reply to  Nick Stokes
May 30, 2018 10:06 pm

“if you ask for a url http://wattsupwiththat.com… it sends you to the old version”

When you have seen that?

Summary

Request URL: http://wattsupwiththat.com/
Request Method: GET

Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 178
Connection: keep-alive
Location: https://wattsupwiththat.com/

Reply to  s-t
May 31, 2018 11:19 am

“When you have seen that?”
I just clicked on the http: link in your comment, and it took me to the old site. Although so did that https: link. It could be a cookie issue.

Reply to  Nick Stokes
May 31, 2018 6:08 pm

To exclude cookies (and also HTTP cache, local storage, session storage, indexed DB…), use switch to incognito browsing (“private browsing”, “surprise gift mode”, “pron mode”…). Or another “profile”.

And then you still have your cookies in your profile. It’s easier.

hanelyp
Reply to  s-t
June 2, 2018 8:30 pm

“I just tested: http://wattsupwiththat.com sends you to https://wattsupwiththat.com/
That’s the behavior I observed with chrome. Going to firefox (on a different computer) I did not see that behavior. Could be chrome was trying to be helpful and using the https site where available, but it causes problems when the https has a cert problem.

Reply to  Nick Stokes
May 31, 2018 6:20 am

Nick ==> Thanks, but it seems to be something with either the WordPress site or my WordPress account (from which I author pieces for WUWT).
This url:
which should show me the current WordPress site for WUWT is still showing the site with “Ex NASA Employee:” as the top story. But comments (appearing in my WordPress toolbar) include your comment, for example.
Seems to be some kink between the authoring site and the public site.

Reply to  Nick Stokes
May 31, 2018 6:36 am

Nick ==> Do an experiment for me please? Hit
and let me know what you get.
(You may have to sign in to your WordPress account).

Keen Observer
Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 31, 2018 10:16 am

I had to clear my cookies out.

Reply to  Keen Observer
May 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Keen ==> Yes, that should do it for most folks, this was a slightly different issue and has now been resolved

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 31, 2018 10:24 am

Kip, check your email.

May 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Anthony ==> And Bob’s Your Uncle! Does the trick. Thanks….
PS: I’ve been through the horror of migrating sites many times with IBM in the early days….the more dynamic they are, the worse it is. WUWT seems to have survived the worst of it. Congrats.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 31, 2018 10:29 am

Kip,
I got a wordpress page saying that I didn’t have any wordpress sites yet, and would I like to create one?
It’s true that I have an account but no sites.
The url shown was
I think the last “wordpress.com” is a problem, although if I edit “wordpress.” out, I get the same result.

Reply to  Nick Stokes
May 31, 2018 1:35 pm

Nick ==> Anthony got this sorted….it affected guest authors of WUWT with WordPress accounts.
All better now.
Thanks for assisting in the effort to sort the details.

texasjimbrock
May 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Okay. That explains why I was blocked out yesterday.

pwl
May 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Anthony great job!

By the way the web site icon used in browser tabs appears to be missing in action.

Reply to  pwl
May 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes, not everything migrated, fixing little details as I go along…

Ian Macdonald
May 30, 2018 5:24 pm

Al Gore is on the Google BOD? Never knew that. It does explain a lot about the obsession with forcing HTTPS onto website operators though. Another scam not very different from the climate change one.

Likewise, it seems to have become an article of religious fervour for its supporters, one that you dare not criticise. I’ve been flamed quite a few times for pointing out that on sites with ads it DOESN’T protect against MITM attacks anyway.

A worrying aspect is that if HTTPS becomes compulsory it could be used to silence people, by denying them a certificate. I sometimes wonder if that is the objective. Along with selling certs, of course.

When you think about it we’ve been using the Web since 1993 without having a horde of KGB agents snooping on us. So, why is it suddenly so essential? If we need protection against snooping, then we need protection against Google. Guess what? HTTPS doesn’t do that. Big surprise there.

Reply to  Ian Macdonald
May 30, 2018 7:43 pm

“It does explain a lot about the obsession with forcing HTTPS onto website operators though”

Absolute BS.

“Another scam not very different from the climate change one.”

Securing the transport of information on the Internet is a scam?

“Another scam not very different from the climate change one.”

Ridiculous theory.

waterside4
Reply to  s-t
May 31, 2018 1:44 am

Mr s-t,
You seem to be a one man defence team of Google, but then that is the beauty of free speech which is banned here in Britain.
My point to Mr Watts and others on here is who in their right mind would use biased guuggle when there are so many trustworthy alternatives.
The only search engine I use is duckduck.
So congratulations Anthony on being the most popular and honest climate website.

Reply to  waterside4
May 31, 2018 3:09 pm

I’m defending Google? Where?

Do you support the idea that HTTPS is useless as a security protocol? Ian Macdonald implied that supporting HTTPS is useless with zero evidence.

Do you defend insecurity?

This thread is depressing and sad.

hanelyp
Reply to  s-t
June 2, 2018 8:36 pm

https is generally preferred to http. An exception is when the https server has a problem, in which case forcing https rather than allowing http is dysfunctional. I also see the treatment of self signed certs as worse than http as bothersome.

hanelyp
Reply to  Ian Macdonald
May 30, 2018 9:48 pm

So far https://letsencrypt.org/ has worked well for the https sites I operate (excepting poor error handling when running their script without necessary operating privilege) If I ever do spot overt bias in who they’ll service, they’ll get holy outrage from me.

May 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Seems to be working OK. Have yet to wring the site out. Am using at present Safari on IPad 11.3, even though .4 was just released yesterday. Never upgrade until the new release is proven stable. Made that forced mistake with High Sierra. Never again

May 30, 2018 5:53 pm

RSS is still working, apparently with no dropout. Now let’s find out if I can still post…

….and now javascript is required to post. 🙁 Presumably that’s due to the edit function, so not the worst tradeoff.

hanelyp
Reply to  Reziac
May 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Javascript for basic functions isn’t too bad. Javascript without a noscript block notice, or served from a dodgy 3rd party, is asking for trouble from security savvy users.

J.H.
May 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Good stuff. Ever upwards and onwards against the forces of anti science and dumbassery.

Oh… and we have an Edit Button…. Cool!

Sara
May 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Well, you’re back up and running. The Hurricane (Alberto!) landed a few inches of wet stuff on my front steps. The air has cooled considerably since yesterday. The petunias were all refreshed by the rain. And the catnip reseeded itself in one pot from last year, so I guess I should plant more, eh?

Oh, yeah – the calico cat bumming food from me brought me a rabbit yesterday morning. No, i did not cook it. I have meat in the freezer. I patted her on the head, picked it up with a plastic bag and put it in the trash, and went back into the house. She must think I’m going hungry or something.

Also, am I logged into WordPress or not? Can’t tell from here.

Tom Halla
Reply to  Sara
May 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Sara, you should have cooked it for the cat.

Sara
Reply to  Sara
May 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Eeeeewwwww! Gutting and skinning a headless bunny at 6AM!

Yeah – NOTHANKYOUVERYMUCH!!!

I would rather be stepped on by a space alien!!!

littlepeaks
Reply to  Sara
May 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Sara — I wish I could borrow your cat for a few months — we have rabbit problems here. They eat all my wife’s vegetables, and last year they ate all our zinnias. They aren’t afraid of humans, but I tried a rabbit trap, and they just ignore it.

May 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Welcome back and congratulations. I have worked many start ups over my career and each one offers unique challenges and twists and turns.

Keen Observer
May 30, 2018 7:09 pm

My contribution: I’m using Firefox on Android right now, and comment threads/replies look…not good, especially where block quotes are used. Some block quotes themselves exceed the block boundaries.

I didn’t notice these issues on my PC at work, but there I was using Chrome.

I’ll see if I can fiddle things and get it sorted, but the last time I ran into this problem was years ago on a different WP blog. The problem eventually went away, but I don’t know why.

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
May 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Mobile site didn’t give me the Edit button, either.

Forcing desktop site addresses the threading issues.

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
May 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Edit button didn’t appear for me in desktop mode, either, but that may be due to what is likely the “moderation delay”?

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
May 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Threading seems better tonight and in a different style. The block quotes no longer show in boxes, and I’m not seeing avatars any longer, either. (Mobile site mode…desktop mode appears unchanged from earlier.)

If editing works, well, I’ll edit. 🙂

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
May 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Not on mobile site. Testing desktop mode…

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
May 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Sigh. Still no edit button, but I routinely have the posting delay regardless of desktop/mobile mode. 🙁

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
June 1, 2018 6:21 pm

I saw the edit button and had no delays using Chrome on my work PC. Maybe it’s specific to mobile Firefox?

Ooh! Now it’s working!

Keen Observer
Reply to  Keen Observer
June 2, 2018 11:03 am

Sometimes.

tolip wen
May 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Anthony,

Other than the temporary certificate issue I’m enjoying a working site!
🙂

The ad pusher has a permanent addict until they choose otherwise.
They get some eyeballs regardless of where you serve content from.
Filed under: “sad but true”

May 30, 2018 7:57 pm

“the SSL doesn’t become valid until DNS changes fully propagate.”

That claim isn’t even wrong. It makes no sense what so ever.

First, the SSL protocol (Secure Socket Layer) is completely outdated, badly designed, hopelessly broken and abandoned. Don’t speak of SSL as a thing. The SSL protocol has been replaced by the TLS protocol (Transport Layer Security), with the same aims as SSL and a better design.

A certificate is valid for a domain or it isn’t. The IP adresses don’t matter for the TLS layer.

If you left unexpired DNS records that contain false information, it’s your responsibility.
If you installed an invalid certificate on your TLS frontend, it’s your responsibility.

I haven’t seen any information that indicates that any error is anything but coming from your part.

To everyone: please don’t accuse any other party without evidence. And don’t accuse or make up theories of bad behavior in an area where you are UNQUALIFIED. Many other people who are qualified not only will mock you, but might also conclude that you are a bunch of ideators.

Another Scott
Reply to  s-t
May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Sheesh lighten up. Even seasoned network engineers still refer to them as “SSL Certs” since all anyone cares about is that they make it possible to access the resource when requested it via https….or SSL….or TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 or whatever we are allowed to call it in your world. And it is possible that there are other security layers in place that required a little more work than anticipated – Anthony isn’t a network engineer so maybe he was talking about some other appliance that wouldn’t serve up the cert until proper DNS propagation – who knows? He’s not going to broadcast the details of his web hosting network topology right? He was just trying to point out that there was indeed a problem earlier in case people notice. Get off your high horse and give him a break.

Reply to  Another Scott
May 30, 2018 9:07 pm

“Anthony isn’t a network engineer”

That’s OK. This is not a network protocols discussion website.

So people shouldn’t imply that whatever broke is the fault of Google.

“Get off your high horse and give him a break.”

I’m not attacking him, only the people who attack Google without evidence.

Reply to  s-t
May 31, 2018 1:58 am

““the SSL doesn’t become valid until DNS changes fully propagate.”

That claim isn’t even wrong. It makes no sense what so ever.”

Just going by what the WordPress tech told me. That’s a quote verbatim. I assume it has to do with WordPress having servers placed worldwide.

As for “The DNS protocole doesn’t have a “propagation” feature; it only has expiration for records. A record is either unexpired or expired.” WordPress provided me with this mapping tool, and indeed, I could watch the propagation:

Not sure why Ottawa, Canada is still out. Earlier, Google’s nameservers were on the list, and indeed once it switched from red to green, things started working again. My complaint emails basically went away at that point and my own 3 network services started resolving the IP address via DNS properly. Apparently there is a lot of use of Google public DNS.

I had nor have any control over the SSL certificate, that’s was and is all handled by WordPress. All I could do is watch and wait.

May 31, 2018 8:43 am

Anthony ==> DNS servers do have to propagate — meaning that they have to update against a master DNS sever — it can take some time, The mapping tool shows this clearly, and it has always been so from the first time a second DNS server was setup.

There is still a problem somewhere in the WordPress admin site thingy that sends this URL:
to the old site (featuring “Ex NASA Employee” as the top story.)

My WordPress account will only link to the above…

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 31, 2018 10:26 am

Kip, Check your email

May 31, 2018 3:54 pm

“Not sure why Ottawa, Canada is still out.”

Maybe the replication (or propagation) of the updates among the names servers (“NS” DNS servers) worldwide was slow. You would have to ask the people responsible for openhostingservice.com

Anyway… there were a few technical issues which were resolved.

Few posts complaining about a problem contain useful complete technical information to analyse the issue. Many people just jump to conclusions.

Without any trace of evidence, people accuse Google of wrongdoing or at least incompetence in handling Google Public DNS; a deficiency from Google Public DNS or any other service cannot be excluded, but it cannot presupposed either.

And it doesn’t stop with attacking Google! The move to secure transport over the Internet (notably from HTTP to HTTPS), which is supported by a strong consensus, is attacked as useless and evil, because:

– “TLS doesn’t prevent MITM” (what?)
– transport security isn’t even an issue, interference with transport doesn’t happen (what?!!)
– certificates could be denied to some people (other necessary Internet resources wouldn’t be denied?)

Some of that discussion looks a bit like a Conservapedia page (Conservapedia is the crackpot “conservative” encyclopedia, the alt-stupid rightist/retrogradist equivalent of Wikipedia).

BruceC
May 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Getting a ‘Not secure’ warning from MS Edge. I must add that the warning is coming from Avast Anti Virus and is only a warning, still able to view WUWT no problems.

Reply to  BruceC
May 30, 2018 9:16 pm

For example, that page includes the image:

So some of the content is apparently served over an insecure network protocol.

That makes the content of the page apparently “not secure”.

BruceC
Reply to  s-t
May 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Is there a way I can send a .crt file from Avast?

hanelyp
Reply to  s-t
May 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Web design tip: https media embedded in an http page works fine. http media in an https page generates warning messages. Making image, .js, .css etc. links all relative URLs or https (when possible) keeps the web browser happy.

Ian Macdonald
Reply to  hanelyp
May 30, 2018 11:08 pm

You can also use protocol-less URLs in modern browsers, as in //url

May 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Congratulations. I hope your cloud shines hight.

littlepeaks
May 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I like the small font size.

Bob in Castlemaine
May 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Anthony for what you have long done and continue to do so well.

I recently changed my home page and search engine from Google to Duck Duck Go, thinking I’d give it a go but probably be disappointed. Touch wood, so far the result has been better than expected and certainly a lot better than when I tried DDG a few years back. I’ve needed only a few resorts to big brother Google, and experienced a welcome change in terms of search relevant results returned rather than “we’ve selected here what you really need to know” type responses.

jay white
May 30, 2018 10:09 pm

God bless. Glad it worked, with some contretemps, and you’re back and hale. It can be unbearably frustrating to deal with powers that be, over you. Thank god there’s alternatives.

Steve P.
May 30, 2018 10:54 pm

I hope you still own the DNS domain? I have my Brave browser (brave.com) configured to send to you every month, and I just want to make sure it’ll get to you. They had some problems with payments for a number of months, but it seems like things are (finally) flowing now.

May 30, 2018 11:54 pm

Anthony

I can’t see that anyone else has mentioned it, but in the top right hand corner of the page I used to get an image of a bell. When someone replied it became red, this was very useful when you have posted various comments in various threads over a period of days. The feature still appears on Climate etc.

Getting an email response as is an option has never worked for me on this site (it works with jonova) and anyway it can result in a deluge of emails.

Has the bell facility been disabled?

BTW the site looks neat and sharp on the whole, although as others have mentioned I need to adjust the font size and the font style is rather faint compared to the previous one. However that is a small price to pay and well done for a (relatively) painless transition

tonyb

Reply to  climatereason
May 31, 2018 3:41 am

That was a feature I had no control over, but I’ll see if it can be re-enabled.

May 31, 2018 4:58 am

Anthony

Thanks. Its not the end of the world but it was a very useful feature to keep track of replies.

tonyb

Reply to  climatereason
May 31, 2018 6:37 am

tonyb ==> If you see this (which you might not because you are missing your “bell”), hit the url:
and let me know what you get. You will have to sign-in to your WordPress account.

Reply to  Kip Hansen
May 31, 2018 7:00 am

Kip

Thanks for your help

the linked site actually has the bell, which I note is labelled

” manage your notifications.’

There is no place to sign in.

Mind you, I got your message via the ‘Bell’ on climate etc as it shows all word press responses to any WP comment I make.

So one way or another I can get messages, although not when in WUWT

tonyb

Reply to  climatereason
May 31, 2018 7:08 am

tonyb ==> Yeah, I assume that WUWT is one of the WP sites you “follow”. If not, add WUWT to your Profile and repeat the exercise.

You seem to have the same phenomena as I do, though, which is reassuring.

May 31, 2018 6:33 am

Anthony ==> The Bell feature is part of the WordPress toolbar and is somehow attached to one’s WordPress sign-in.
That toolbar includes a WordPress logo at the left, followed by a link for Reader, on the right hand side there is the “+ Write” that I use to get to the WUWT WordPress add a new article page, and then on the gar right, the “bell” that says I have a new comment on a post authored by me or a response to a comment made by me (on any WP site I am ‘following”).

The WordPress toolbar fails to appear for me on the current updated version of the site but does appear on the version of the site at this url: https://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/

This is what I have been mentioning all along.

I think the problem is a link in the WordPress admin page….? or in my (our) individual WordPress pages (to which we sign-in).

Kip

June 1, 2018 3:34 pm

I noticed that the bell on the wordpress reader (it’s the same toolbar that used to be on the WUWT page) sees replies to my posts on the new web site and the conversation reader is keeping track threads on the new site. If it helps, the name of the toolbar seems to be something like wp-admin-bar.

Michael Kelly
May 31, 2018 12:08 am

Whew! i thought the site had been hacked, and looked at other sites (Jo Nova, Cliscep, et al) for news. It’s good to see that it was just a transition. The story of your treatment by Google, however, is quite disturbing. Even though Algore is on Google’s board, and it IS Algore’s amazing Internets, that kind of thing should not be happening.

And I DO love the timed edit feature! [Added after the original post. In fact, this comment was added after the original comment! Way cool! No more excuses for missspellings! {sic}]

Eamon Butler
May 31, 2018 1:39 am

Not another migration caused by climate change. Sigh. 😉 Congrats and best of luck.

Eamon.

Jim Masterson
May 31, 2018 2:38 am

I like the timed edit feature. I may not be fast enough to catch all my errors in five minutes.

Jim

May 31, 2018 5:58 am

I seem to only be directed to the OLD page with no new updates. I had to search for this particular post to get to the new one. How do I reset it so that I go to the new page? Clicking the home button above does not work.

tom in Florida
May 31, 2018 6:23 am

When writing a comment and hitting the “post comment” button, it takes be back to the top of the article. Anyone else or is it just me.

Smart Rock
Reply to  tom in Florida
May 31, 2018 9:58 am

Tom – It does the same for me. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m now using Firefox (had to switch because Chrome keeps taking me back to the old site – is that Google messing with us again?)

Reply to  Smart Rock
May 31, 2018 10:28 am

Firefox is a horrible browser now, full of entropy, I abandoned it a couple years ago after using it for several years. I use Chrome now. Just clear your cache and cookies and make sure your bookmark for the site is at https://wattsupwiththat.com rather than wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com

beng135
May 31, 2018 7:13 am

The clarity of the page is improved. Images at right are slightly bigger & more readable too. Thanks, Anth*ny and WUWT.

Click to edit feature, too!

commieBob
May 31, 2018 12:54 pm

It is possible to craft a realistic budget if you know what you’re doing. The P.Eng. in charge of physical plant at our school had a thirty year history of on-time on-budget projects. His successors … not so much.

J Mac
May 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Hot Dog! Was stuck on the old site and couldn’t see any of the newer ‘fix it’ comments! Used DuckDuckGo to boot up WUWT and, although it showed the old wordpress.com site with ‘Ex Nasa Employee….’ as the last post, it did show me updated comments. Deleted the old site bookmark and shortcuts, dumped the browser history et.al, and a new search for WUWT brought up the new site!

Robber
May 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Found this post, but clicking on Home takes me back to wordpress site.

J Mac
Reply to  Robber
May 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Robber – clear your browser history/cache and try again.

J Mac
May 31, 2018 3:43 pm

When I post a comment, the view jumps up to the top of the post and the comment does not show for about 5 minutes. I’m not seeing ‘edit’ buttons after I post a comment either.

Reply to  J Mac
May 31, 2018 4:00 pm

You might need Java installed

c
May 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Yep. If I use my favourite brain dead browser, Dillo, some very strange behaviour ensues. In particular, my comments don’t properly become replies to the comments I’m replying to.

Gunga Din
May 31, 2018 4:13 pm

PS Don’t take any of my … observations … as criticism of the change directed your end.
No complaints.
Just trying to figure things out.
What do the Aussies say? “Good on ya’!”

J Mac
May 31, 2018 4:32 pm

Test.

J Mac
May 31, 2018 4:36 pm

Test 2.

J Mac
May 31, 2018 4:50 pm

Test 3.

richard
May 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Well this is darn exciting. Wow and I can edit now. I have to say it took me seconds to get to this new site.

richard
Reply to  richard
May 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Hmm , i had the countdown on the edit and wrote something extra but didn’t show up so guess I will have to write quicker but a lovely extra facility.

commieBob
May 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to Bill T May 31, 2018 at 2:44 am.

J Mac
May 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Test 4.

Greg
May 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Test.

TA
May 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Testing.

TA
May 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Test.

Khwarizmi
May 31, 2018 6:56 pm

A search for “WattsUpWithThat” using DuckDuckGo yields a defamatory spiel from wikipedia at the top of the page above search results. It’s no different to the thought policing you get from google.

Attempting to post from Firefox with javascript disabled…

Khwarizmi
May 31, 2018 7:19 pm

DuckDuckGo and Google give the same defamatory warning from the Thought Police above results on a search for “WattsUpWithThat”
In a world where money talks, you can call that “free speech.”

Edited to add…nothing of value – just because I can!
Edited for the second time to correct a typo.
Edited for a third time to say, “Hey this editing timer is giving me panic attacks. I only have 2 minutes left to change my mind…OMG!”

Phil
May 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Your contribution to freedom and democracy is an example to us all. Thank you again for your dedication. I have been using Firefox 56 with the old CA Assistant and Greasemonkey, but the migration seemed to have finally eliminated that editing tool. It would be great if there were an alternative.

Reply to  Phil
June 1, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks for the kind words.

I suggest you use Chrome, Edge, or anything else. Firefox is such a mishmash of spaghetti code that it is no longer reliable. I gave up on it a couple of years ago.

Luc Ozade
May 31, 2018 9:56 pm

I posted this on the last article on the old site (“NOTE: Please find our new website”) and fear it was overlooked by everyone coming to this new site. But I would value a reply, because I haven’t had any emails relating to new articles for this new site. I used to get 8 to 12 a day for the old site. Anyway, this was my question:

“Surely, when you send out emails to all your subscribers every day, giving notice of a new article, wouldn’t the link in that email take the recipient to your new ‘Pressable’ page?

I haven’t received any emails yet with a link to the new page but I can’t think that has anything to do with my browser cache.”

Reply to  Luc Ozade
June 1, 2018 8:34 am

It has everything to do with your browser cache. The link directs the browser, and the browser then looks in it’s cache first before deciding what, if anything, to download from the site and what the site is.

You’ll need to resubscribe to email notifications because that part doesn’t migrate, due to security issues related to all those email addresses. This is a new site, with all the old content moved over.

Therefore, resubscribing to email notices is a must if you want to continue to receive them.

Luc Ozade
June 1, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks for your help, Anthony, and I add my congratulations for all your hard work (and worry) in moving to the new site.

Other commenters on here seem to think the fact of just posting a comment will ensure they get back on the email list, is that correct? It doesn’t seem to be as I still haven’t received any – but I haven’t done the Follow or resubscribe thing yet, which you advised. I’m just about to try, although it says (on this page) that I am already following WUWT.

Luc Ozade
Reply to  Luc Ozade
June 1, 2018 9:12 am

Yes, that worked. I got an email confirming my subscription status. Thanks again Anthony.

J Mac
May 31, 2018 9:58 pm

Anthony,
Sleep deep tonight…. and late tomorrow morning.
Ya done real good!!

Luc Ozade
May 31, 2018 10:03 pm

I wonder whether the new “Edit” feature button means that readers aren’t able to see one’s comment until after the five minutes is up?

May 31, 2018 10:24 pm

A test post to re-enable notifications via email.

tom0mason
June 3, 2018 9:35 am

Unfortunately WordPress still does not put elementary text formatting tools with the comment box. See http://joannenova.com.au comment box for an example of how to could be done.
Apparent people like you Mr. Watts are not demanding such simple tools be included by default, thus we commenters are still in the blog-world equivalent of WordPerfect 1988.

tom0mason
Reply to  tom0mason
June 3, 2018 9:49 am

Oh, and it would be nice to be allowed to edit comments for a short while after they’re posted, many people have poor proofreading skill (and like me dyslexia).
So I now see some elementary spelling/grammar failings in my posting above but am powerless to correct them, however I hope you get the message.

Yes I know you have the Test page (which takes for ever to load) however why in this modern age is anyone forced to remember arcane codes and coding methods (which I often forget)?
Please ask WordPress to update the user interface, lawd knows I’ve asked them often enough — their reply was their is no call for it by bog administrators Could you at least add one voice to this call?

Have a good day, keep-up the good work.
TM.