Open thread weekend

I’m stepping away today. Not feeling well, ear infections (due to wearing two hearing aids) are a chronic problem for me and I have a raging one today, so I’ll just be cranky. Off to the clinic then.

[update: Please guys, no more unsolicited suggestions for cures and treatments for Anthony. He keeps himself well-informed. I’m just asking nicely. ~ ctm]

Anything science, technology, weather and climate related within the policy limits of WUWT can be discussed below.

Don’t make me come back here.

“Don’t make me come back here.” Ha Ha ha!

edmh

Get well soon you are doing the greatest job

Lady Life Grows

Have you tried sugar alcohols, especially xylitol, which wash away germs?
Have you tried ribose, the sugar in ATP? This is currently used by athletes to recover from exercise faster, as ribose is the rate-limiter in ATP production. I would be keenly interested to know what, if anything, this stuff does for you, because years ago I read in a book about a doctor who cured the common cold in 30 minutes by injecting RNA. If that claim was true, then ribose by mouth would probably give equal and safer results. I am very eager to find out.

commieBob

Remember the disgraced polar bear scientist. Now they seem to be investigating the guy who investigated him. There’s a story up at Slashdot and it may be a good thing to go over there and set the record straight for the next hour or so (the story is stamped 11:50 AM EDT).

Pamela Gray

I think I have mentioned this before. Eventually, you may need to reconsider getting implants. Regular hearing aids depend on an intact middle ear space. My mother, had she lived past her 50’s, would have had to consider that choice as well. Her middle ear mechanics were nearly locked into place with otosclerosis, plus she had neural damage from ototoxic antibiotics. Constant severe ear infections can leave you without the necessary mechanics needed for regular amplification. And even with neural damage, these new implants may be the better route for you.
I had constant ear infections as a child and still get them occasionally now. Painful, painful buggers.

Here’s hoping we hear that your ear problem is resolved quickly and we here hear that you will return here quickly.
So, y’all get better soon, you hear?
Hear, hear!

I have a cochlear implant (one ear) and have had it since 1991. Wonderful device but not effective over telephone, in noisy or reverberating environments, or in meetings. The last was the greatest drawback before retirement.

Neo

Those darn environmentalists are trying to kill us all.

Kiwi fruit & sweet potatoes… kiwi are loaded with phytochemicals and powerful antioxidants. Been known to prevent and even cure chronic diseases. Marathon runners find sweet potatoes beneficial as do people who have lived to be 100+. Blackberries & dark pigmented grapes, did I mention kiwis? I start my day with a few kiwi, wait an hour or so… ready to wrestle alligators!

The volcanoes aren’t honking so hard… fingers crossed for some tranquil weather. That ENSO meter appears closer & closer to neutral. ?

Dave Worley

“Next, we will find out that “heavy metals” from solar panels is leaching into the ground water.”
Not until solar becomes a viable industry making a profit without subsidies. Then it will be found to be evil.

sherlock

Anyone else noticed how all of a sudden, the MSM just can’t carry enough coverage of the economic meltdown in Europe? Could it be there is some other economic crisis that they want to distract us from? By jove, I think there could be!

I suspect you are wearing hearing aids that have to be fitted to the ear canal. The behind the ear style has only a small tube delivering the sound into the canal and is much less an irritant. Best wishes. We need you.
Reply: Anthony recently had a post about it here. -REP, mod]

DR

Anthony,
The only solution that has worked for me to both prevent and resolve these types of infections has been the use of colloidal silver or grapefruit seed extract diluted in glycerin. Hydrogen peroxide has also helped. Over time I’ve relied mostly on the silver because it is simple and no mess; a few quick sprays in each ear daily; no problems. Complacency and forgetting, if an ear infection crops up, a extra sprays a day and it disappears. I can hear the “it’s quackery” howls already. Well, as a long time sufferer of ear problems, I don’t give a rip what anyone says. Twenty years of “approved” mainstream medicine antibiotic abuse/failure and twelve years of relief using “unapproved” methods is enough proof for me.
And no, not all colloidal silver products are equal. I use Mesosilver, but there are other quality brands.

Kelvin Vaughan

Would a greenhouse on the moon warm the lunar surface?

Annie

I hope you get well very quickly Anthony. Well done on the 24 hr. marathon effort.

@Kelvin Vaughan, Mars atmosphere has 6,000 ppm of CO2 and its theoretical and practical surface temperature is the same. Source: planetary dfact sheet

DirkH

Lady Life Grows says:
September 17, 2011 at 9:05 am
“Have you tried ribose, the sugar in ATP? This is currently used by athletes to recover from exercise faster, as ribose is the rate-limiter in ATP production. I would be keenly interested to know what, if anything, this stuff does for you, because years ago I read in a book about a doctor who cured the common cold in 30 minutes by injecting RNA.”
Wouldn’t that be using the technique of RNA interference; discovered a few years ago? It has nothing to do with ATP or Ribose.

JRR Canada

Same as DR have been using dilute hydrogenperoxide with success for previous ringing ear- ear infection- eardrum rupture and repeat as Doctors experiment with anti biotics Advice came from an RN at our emergency ward.3-6% solution works for me. Good luck , get well soon..

F. Ross

The ENT surgeon who operated on my ear recommended using vinegar rinses; 50% household vinegar, 50% water, warmed to body temperature. I apply vinegar/water mixture gently with a soft rubber squeeze syringe, until the rinse material is clear. Followed by a hair dryer on low to dry the affected ear.
I realize this is anecdotal information, but it [apparently] has worked well for me for over two years now.
Hope your infection is soon cured.

Colonial

Neo (September 17, 2011 at 9:28 am) wrote:
Those darn environmentalists are trying to kill us all. … If it’s not mercury in CFC light bults, cancerous gas additive MTBE thru the ground water, or now .. LED light suppressing the production of melatonin which adjusts our biological clock and is known for its anti-oxidant and anti-cancerous properties.
No, no! You’re off message! It’s the arsenic in the gallium arsenide LEDs that’s going to kill us all! Every time you eat a bagful of LEDs, you’re being poisoned! Stay on message, or Uncle Albert will be highly displeased…
Neo (September 17, 2011 at 9:28 am) continues:
Yes, yes! Aluminum and silicon are terrible heavy metals! Acid rain dissolves them and washes them off our roofs straight into our drinking water. They’ll kill us all… What’s that you say? Aluminum is a light metal, not a heavy metal? And silicon isn’t a metal at all? Never mind…

Dr. Dave

One of my favorite oxymorons is “alternative medicine”. Mr. Watts has taken exactly the right course of action. He’s off to see a physician. We have no idea if he’s suffering from otitis extrerna or otitis media. If I had severely attenuated auditory acuity I most certainly wouldn’t screw around with my remaining hearing by employing a host of home remedies. Then again…he could always just kill a chicken and dance naked around a campfire.

edbarbar

I’m surprised the loonies haven’t tagged this as being on account of man made global warming:

DR

@JRR
Hydrogen Peroxide helps for sure, but it doesn’t get deep inside and tends to dry the skin causing more itching in my case. It also doesn’t do much to prevent, at least in my experience. I’ve had tinnitus for 20 years btw.
I routinely (once a week or so) flush the ears to keep the wax out but always spray with silver afterwards.
Grapefruit Seed Extract is stronger than bleach yet non-toxic, but it must always be highly diluted and never used around the eyes. For the doubters out there, we saved my father’s foot from amputation using GSE after being told nothing would prevent it. Again, this will be said to be anecdotal, but there are several laboratory tests showing GSE is very effective against staph A for instance; just 6 ppm kills the bacteria. We’ve used it for everything from horse colic to mold.
Medical types can be the most belligerent closed minded ‘know-it-all’ people I know.

maz2

PET Cemetery Report/Neo-AGW Progress Report.
“The Governor brought out his one liner: “Hasta la vista to global warming.””
“LIVE: Solyndra Breaks Ground on New Plant, Details $535M DOE Project”

DR

Dr. Dave,
That is precisely attitude I’m referring to. And yes, Anthony will run off to the doctor again, and again and again, just as I did. Isn’t that the definition of insanity?

xion III

Your hurricane spirals are looking good for the Inverse Square Law.
I only use one spiral which has a .9 ratio so I’ve listed the ratios alongside their squares and square roots. (click on the pic) I guess that if you are standing x distance from a point and you move towards that point by .9, then the distance you have moved will be the square root of the original distance. Given that exponential relationship, it isn’t surprising to see the same numbers reoccurring but the exact pattern of this escapes me as I have only 12 decimal places on my pocket calculator (solar powered). As some of you will have more sophisticated setups, I invite you to extend this examination. To give an idea of what could be at stake, I’ve used the spiral to sketch a theoretical power circuit as it would occur in the apparently hexagonal grid between individual carbon atoms in a sheet of graphene. There is a Youtube movie in which I do believe i see attempts at bridge building at the hole perimeter.

cheers

Kelvin Vaughan

edbarbar says:
September 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm
That’s because they know hot air is less dense and would have the opposite effect. They do have some scientific knowledge.

Colonial

DR (September 17, 2011 at 10:42 am) wrote:
I’ve battled ear problems similar to what you’re describing since my teenage years. … The only solution that has worked for me to both prevent and resolve these types of infections has been the use of colloidal silver … Over time I’ve relied mostly on the silver because it is simple and no mess; a few quick sprays in each ear daily; no problems. … I can hear the “it’s quackery” howls already.
You’ll hear no howls from me, if you’re only using it topically. If it fends off ear infections and keeps you healthy, that’s great!
However, if you’re thinking of taking colloidal silver internally, or are already doing so, check out Rosemary’s Story. Rosemary has argyria – a permanent, irreversible skin discoloration caused by the ingestion of silver. She’s gone through life gray because of colloidal silver nose drops that were prescribed by a doctor for allergies. Her gray skin color has cost her jobs and interfered with her social life.
Kermit the Frog expressed his frustrations in the song, “It’s Not Easy Being Green.” If you ingest colloidal silver, you’ll soon be able to sing the silver version, “It’s Not Easy Being Gray”!

Ed

Anyone else having Droid issues on WUWT?
My Droid, running 2.2.2 with the stock browser, won’t show anything but the very top of each post. Dragging, swiping, up/down arrowing, all seem turned off. It’s the only blog I have this particular problem with.
Opera will show the whole post, but the font is truly horrible.

A little help from the scientists in the group please.
I don’t really buy the “greenhouse” theory because I have been in a real greenhouse. They work because they have a roof on top; and the earth does not.
So, here would be my idea of an experiment. Take two large greenhouses, side by side and equal in every way, without any roofs on them. Fill one with CO2 and measure the temps in both over a time period. What would happen?
My wager is that both would have the same temperature.

Fit_Nick

I was sitting looking at a glass of coke the other day then tapped it with my finger and watched the sudden eruption of bubbles rise to the surface releasing the CO2, as i have done many times over the years.
This got me thinking and wondered if there has ever been any studies done on the effect of vessel propulsion systems causing the sea water to release the trapped CO2 within its structure, in a similar manner to the glass of coke, being tapped by a finger? Hence, would the increase in shipping over the past decades contibute to the rise in CO2?
Sometimes finding the solution to a problem is just a case of asking the right question.

Laurence M. Sheehan, PE

I recommend trying: 1 12oz bottle of Negra Modelo beer mixed with 1 11-1/2oz can of V8 juice. It is a truly amazing potion for overall healing and health. In 2 weeks of drinking this mixture every afternoon, the hearing loss in my right ear, caused by a minor stroke in 1987, was cured, and I my hearing was completely restored. It is wonderful for a good many other reasons. Everyone who has tried it thinks it is a miacle potion, and my younger daughter, who had severe joint and back pains has dubbed it the “Bloody Miracle”. Within a week of drinking 12oz each day, her joint and back pain went completely away.
Try it . . . you will love the results. All who have tried it say the same thing. “It really works, and works quickly.”

John B

joseph says:
September 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm
A little help from the scientists in the group please.
——–
The term “greenhouse effect” is a bit misleading. Try this for a basic explanation of how it works:
And if you don’t like wikipedia, there are plenty of other explanations out there.
Not sure about your experiment, it would depend on how you set it up. But in the real atmosphere, be assured that without the greenhouse effect the world would be a much, much colder place.

Well that is interesting.
I am one of the few people who has been able to live in the “mainstream” society 100%. Despite my lousy hearing.Hearing so bad that I MUST wear a hearing aid and be in fairly quite area to have a good conversation with someone.Most people with the level of profound hearing loss that I have,end up with sign language or special life styles.To be able to communicate.
The reason for that is because my parents were determined to try to have me mainstreamed into regular society,through early speech training.Yes I was a terrible speaker.Because I was not hearing them until I got a hearing aid at age 4.To this day,my voice sounds different from the usual voices you hear.My enunciation is weak on some of the letters.But I able to have a reasonable conversation,until recently.My hearing erodes due to aging (in my 50’s) and long term damage from using high amplifying hearing aids.
I have worn Hearing aids since age 4 (1964). First it was the big ones that had a lot of power,but bulky.I carried the aid unit by hand and put them on my school desk.Over the years they got smaller and smaller.Went to wearing it in a bra like halter.To the point of making them go behind the ear.The power of miniaturization.But the power supply suffers from the downsizing of the unit.
I have always been hard of hearing.
Now I have to decide on the inner ear implant soon.Because my hearing is now so bad that I am using the most powerful unit available.It is getting old and know that it will have to be replaced within two years or so.
It cost around $35,000 for the entire operation and the implant unit.Fortunately insurance will cover most of it.It is the process in getting approval for the implant that will take time and energy.My Audiologist has recently expressed interest in my making this big move.He has to help me justify the cost with valid hearing tests and ear examination.To show that I am indeed a valid candidate for the operation.
Maybe this fall or winter is when I start the process in the goal of having that operation by next spring?

When I go swimming.I use fresh earplugs.To keep out the water.
If I do not.They WILL get infected!
Sometimes I get one anyway and gosh they can hurt!

JC

Reading World Climate Report’s latest post on the models brings a question to mind.
Or maybe I’m just paranoid.

H.R.

@Bob Tisdale says:
September 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm
Thanks for the heads up and the link.

john

More on Solargate….
Solyndra’s Whorehouse Lender
More on windgate….
Be sure to read the comments in the GE story and it will be updated in the comments section periodically.

DR

Colonial,
Rosemary Jacobs did not get argyria from colloidal silver, it was caused from silver salts; two totally different forms of silver solution.
If argyria were such a problem, where are the blue skin colonies?
This is not directed at you, but it is just too hilarious listening to all the drug pushers warning about the dangers of colloidal silver when there are documented hundreds of thousands of cases of deaths and injury caused directly from the use of FDA approved drugs.

Curiousgeorge

@ Neo says:
September 17, 2011 at 9:28 am
There’s that damn unintended consequence again. When will scientists learn to mind their own business and quit doing this science stuff? 😉
Guess I’ll have to stock up on candles. Oh, wait! Those spew that nasty CO2 stuff, and could burn my house down. Hmmmm. I know! A cave and no lights at all!

Well I never suggested putting kiwi & sweet potato in anyone’s ear… just looking out for yawl’s better overall health, that’s all.
Hey there Ed! My droid is like yours, only works right on full site. Mobile is like wrestling a pig.

H.R. says: “What’s up with the Indian Ocean? Everywhere else seems to be trending downward or flat but the IO keeps heading up.”
It’s tough to say since the Indian Ocean had very little temperature readings at depth prior to the ARGO era.
I wrote a post about the inverse relationship between the SST residuals (SST anomalies of an ocean basin minus global SST anomalies) of the Indian and North Pacific Oceans.
But I can’t say if this is coming into play with the OHC data. I’ll look into it.

Mac the Knife

Fit_Nick says:
September 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm
Huh?! Now that is an interesting question! I know there are decades of work related to bubble formation associated with boat prop/screws, both surface ships and submarines. Anybody know of any related work that studied the composition and partial pressures of the gases in the cavitation bubbles?

DirkH

JC says:
September 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm
“The actual, observed temperature data (to the extent we can trust that data) are right at the lower end of the models’ projected (don’t say “predicted”) confidence interval. If you are trying to scare people, this is ideal: The models predict the most warming while still giving you the ability to claim they are supported by observations. I must wonder whether this is a coincidence, or if the models were engineered toward that end.”
Even two model runs of the same model, with different initial atmospheric conditions, will give you trends that vary by an order of magnitude over decadal scales. Or in other words, you start one, and it goes in some direction; like throwing darts blindfolded.
I think they’re engineered to look halfway plausible (and plausible for the climate scientists means they better show some warming on average of the runs) and that’s all the climate scientists could really achieve, because they’re trying to solve a problem that they can’t solve with their approach – predicting the future of a chaotic system.
They can’t solve it with any Turing-equivalent machine…

Got an update from Eric today, we have both been busy with our own projects and he has supplied me with a quote for the forecast setup services and a years subscription to his service, described;
Where we stand on the progress;
“As for delivery, I could do an analysis of the forecast format, etc.
like I did last time to make sure it’s suitable for import by the end
of September. Then once any corrections are made, do the full
setup/import code. If that went well (there were few corrections
needed, etc.) I could import September 2011 before October 15, which
would allow you to then see the September aggregations and data in
mid-October.”
working with huge data sets makes for slow progress, when I have limited funds available, but slow progress is better than no progress. The programer and I are still working out the details of the masking of the maps, and the rebuilding of the site layout to allow all of the additional maps in the higher resolution format. I am hoping to bring on line all of the additional features and the ongoing validation of the forecast accuracy by the first of the year 2012.

Kelvin Vaughan says:
September 17, 2011 at 10:50 am
> Would a greenhouse on the moon warm the lunar surface?
A greenhouse on Earth works by blocking convection. On the Moon there’s no atmosphere to convect.
Alternatively, if the glass lets in shortwave radiation and blocks long wave, then that can slow the Moon’s radiative heat loss by the glass heating up and radiating some heat back down.

Colonial says:
September 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm
DR (September 17, 2011 at 10:42 am) wrote:

Ah, WUWT Nation does have all knowledge. I was thinking of hunting that down to post myself.
DR says:
September 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Colonial,

Rosemary’s web page mentions “A biopsy confirmed the diagnosis showing all the little specks of silver in my skin. Unfortunately, that is the only information that I have ever been able to get about the drug that disfigured me.” Are you talking about soluable silver salts or something that precipitates internally? I’m not sure that would lead to silver specks. What do you know that she doesn’t?
I don’t use silver except in a water filter (where it’s supposed to stay put), so I haven’t followed this as closely as I might have.