Some days I find things by accident. Today, researching for something else online, serendipity paid me a visit.
Fans of the hit sitcom “Seinfeld” may recognize this logo.
Fans of the show may also recognize this restaurant:
Fans of Real Climate might recognize this man:
OK by now you are probably thinking, “Anthony has gone off his rocker. Where is this going?” Well, to be honest, I just want to share a little fun.
Have your ever wondered why over at RC, it seems to be like some sort of weird sitcom? There’s a reason for that.
The address for the famous Tom’s Restaurant aka “Monks” is, via Google Maps:
The address for the famous Goddard Institute of Space Studies aka “Real Climate” is, via Google Maps:
Yes, that’s correct. They share the same address. The NASA GISS office is above Monk’s, not that there is anything wrong with that. But, it might explain some things. Although I’ve been following the climate products from NASA GISS for years, I never thought to look at their “about” page, mainly because I’d never have a reason to visit. You see, I’m a persona non grata there. But amazingly, here it is right on the GISS page:
While I’m no architect, doing a little reading up, I think we can see where Jim and Gavin’s offices are, though I could be wrong. Gavin’s may be on 112th rather than Broadway.
Here’s a Google Earth street level view of 2880 Broadway:
From the GISS web page above, they give a description of the main entrance to the Goddard Institute of Space Studies at 545 West 112th Street. It is rather plain. Here’s what it looks like:
So now that we’ve established that GISS and RC is connected to “the show about nothing” you can use some of the best lines from Seinfeld to refute a number of common arguments put up by Gavin and the RC team.
I’ve complied a list of commonly seen issues and phrases used on RC and appropriate rebuttals from Seinfeld characters:
- The data has been adjusted, why can’t you comprehend it? – “If it’s in the garbage, it’s garbage” – Jerry
- Send it to my email and I’ll have a look – “When you control the mail, you control information!” – Newman
- This year is the hottest ever! – “It’s gold Jerry. Gold!” – Bania
- Ban Ki Moon and the IPCC says so. – “Butros, Butros, Gahli!” – Jerry
- I’m not going to use McIntyre’s name, he doesn’t deserve the credit. – “That’s not funny, how about ‘your cranium called…it has space for rent!” – Elaine
- Come back when you understand climate science – “NO SOUP FOR YOU! COME BACK ONE YEAR!” – The Soup Nazi
- This is why your argument [snip] – “I won’t tolerate infestation!” – Frank Costanza
- Sea level, ocean acidification, it’s all obvious! – The ocean called, they’re running out of shrimp! – Reilly
- Check the peer reviewed literature. – “Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.” – Jerry
- Your interpretation is totally wrong! – “Oh yeah? Well I had sex with your wife!” – George
- The data hasn’t been updated, do you think all we do around here is sit around and wait for GHCN to update? – “Significant shrinkage.” – George
- The tree ring based temperature reconstruction has been reviewed and proven correct time and again. – “Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake!” – Elaine
- It is “robust”. – Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, – Elaine
Also, this coming December 23rd, I plan on sending Gavin a calibrated aluminum pole to help him and Steig measure sea ice thickness.
Readers may wish to send a card also, listing grievances.