Climategate page added – your help needed

Given the volume of posts here on the issue and elsewhere, I’ve decided to start a repository for reference purposes.

I’ve added a “Climategate” page on WUWT and put all relevant WUWT posts in it. But I need help in adding more. Here are the details:

1. We need additional outside links. You can add these in comments to the Climategate page which is here: http://wattsupwiththat.com/climategate/ You can also see it on the menu bar below the masthead.
  2. I need a librarian volunteer to help with populating this page. My workload and that of the moderators is getting excessive. I can’t get regular work done as it is. The requirements for anyone who wishes to volunteer are full disclosure to me of who you are, along with email exchanges and a telephone interview. I don’t take the task of giving edit access to WUWT lightly. Its all work and no pay, but it has its rewards.
  3. I think we need a climategate logo – submissions welcome in comments, just post it up on tinypic or flickr or some web image sharing service and put the URL in comemnts. Please stay away from anything derogatory. Here’s your chance to make an interesting artful contribution.

Thank you for your consideration.

Anthony

About these ads
This entry was posted in Climategate. Bookmark the permalink.

171 Responses to Climategate page added – your help needed

1. Mike Lorrey says:

Anthony, I can help. I’m out of business and back in school so I’ve got the time to help out.

2. BernieL says:

I may be able to help with #2. I presume you can contact me by my email to discuss.

3. Philip Thomas says:

I may be able to help.

4. yonason says:

RE Climategate logo

a few ideas to spark someone’s creativity

(“Dearly beloved, we are here to enter Mann-made global warming, hopefully for the last time”)

and then there are

Yes, I know they are too complicated for a logo, but it’s just to suggest some themes. I would try it myself if I had decent image processing software.

REPLY: try GIMP http://www.gimp.org/
    Free and well supported – Anthony

5. aber says:

Excellent idea and very needed,
    the matter requires a guidance
    and a pool as it may otherwise
    quickly “Gone with the Wind”,
    highest appreciation, best wishes,
    and all success!

6. yonason says:

Climate Depot may be a good source of links?

He’s got a lot of material there already.

7. yonason says:

“REPLY: try GIMP http://www.gimp.org/
    Free and well supported – Anthony”

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

8. Plato Says says:

Anthony – is this where we should put media coverage too?

The Guardian has just posted this

“There is “virtually no possibility” of a few scientists biasing the advice given to governments by the UN’s top global warming body, its chair said today.

Rajendra Pachauri defended the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in the wake of apparent suggestions in emails between climate scientists at the University of East Anglia that they had prevented work they did not agree with from being included in the panel’s fourth assessment report, which was published in 2007.

The emails were made public this month after a hacker illegally obtained them from servers at the university.

Pachauri said the large number of contributors and rigorous peer review mechanism adopted by the IPCC meant that any bias would be rapidly uncovered.

“The processes in the IPCC are so robust, so inclusive, that even if an author or two has a particular bias it is completely unlikely that bias will find its way into the IPCC report,” he said…”

9. Invariant says:

Leif Svalgaard (11:48:01) :
    link added to ClimateGate on http://www.leif.org/research

Wow! Great to see your name again!!! I will ask this question before you disappear again – is this paper worth reading:

??

Kind Regards,

Invariant

10. dave says:

get the full Climategate document database at http://www.climate-gate.org/ or try

dave

11. Jeff Alberts says:

I would like to remind folks of my site, http://whatcatastrophe.com where, when registered, folks can upload repository items up to 11mb in size (useful for graphics, zip files, etc) for reference from other sites. Also, anyone without their own blog who would like to contribute can leave me a message in the forums there.

I’ll also add a link to the ClimateGate page.

As for a graphic, I’ll see what I can come up with.

12. Keeping pace with the story is Bishop Hill

On the FORTRAN side L’Ombre de l’Olivier is one of many blogs that have analysis of the weaknesses and misrepresentation endemic to the code base

Many more code analyzers are among technical traders, many of whom write code to get predictive cues from massive datasets so they can better play the market. Would any of those links be welcome? The Code side of this is its own story and one that may be worth a subspace on the ClimateGate page.

13. yonason says:

First Ever Climategate Debate?

14. Marcel Hendrickx says:

Under the logo you could put the following verses from Dante (my translation):

Ma se le svergognate fosser certe
    di quel che ’l ciel veloce loro ammanna,
    già per urlare avrian le bocche aperte;

If the sluts of Firenze knew
    what heaven has in store for them
    they would be screaming by now.

Dante, Purg 23. 106-108

15. Myranda says:

If this has shown up in another posting, delete this one.

Might be useful as a bit of light relief.

16. rbateman says:

Flash button added : ClimateGate
    to: http://www.robertb.darkhorizons.org/

17. Mike Wilson says:

Climategate makes the editorial/opinion page of Dallas Morning News. It should be front page, but maybe it is a start.

18. Peter says:

Hello Anthony and team,
    Good luck with this. I find this site informative. It is a catalogue of publications on both sides of the debate.

It is run by two NZ academics. It takes no position, but simply provides the resource for people to read various papers and articles.
    All the best to you.
    Peter

19. Invariant says:

Anthony,

I found comment #14 in this thread illuminating, it is written by a nuclear engineer, and to my undrstanding the physics is sound.

He writes in comment #77 that “Anyone that would like to copy / use my Post # 14 may do so.”, so I suggest that you copyit to the climategate page.

Best Regards,

Invariant

20. Owen says:

I may be able to help (semi-retired IT/Scientist)

21. KeithGuy says:

Just made a logo you could use for your Climategate page. Its a JPEG of a man hiding in a delete bin. I can e-mail it.

REPLY:
    Hard to share with readers that way. Can you post it to http://tinypic.com/ (free) and share the URL here? – A

22. Invariant (12:19:51) :
    is this paper worth reading:

No. Its 115 pages don’t come to the point; they ramble on with trivial stuff that are not connected to the various claims made. E.g. section 1.2 ‘Problem background’, waxes on the difference between concentration by volume and by mass, without giving any background information at all. And so it goes, through the rest of the paper. Halfway through, if someone asked you what you have learned or what the take-away message is [apart from all the falsification claims that are just stated but not demonstrated] you might, as I was, be at a loss. Perhaps some enthusiasts could cut through the jabber and lead me to the falsification demonstration. I couldn’t find it.

23. Danzaroni says:

Logo submission – done in about 5 minutes.

24. Clive says:

Here draft #1 .. comments welcome…

Saved as a PSD so can edit in PS …

Comments??? Ideas ???

25. Danzaroni says:

By the way – I had another one – quite colorful of feces hitting a fan and spraying over a climategate logo. I thought it was apropos of what CRU is going through but a tad literal for this blog.

26. Invariant says:

Thanks! Excellent advice! Yes, I suspected that the paper was too simple and not sufficiently “dirty” with real world empirical observations. I appreciate your input a lot!

I have read this paper though, and I found it illuminating:

If you remember my simple heat balance, this has another Stefan Boltzmann term as well. What do you think? Startup my Matlab least squares HMF B program again… (oh no…)

??

27. KeithGuy says:

Here’s the link for the logo

28. DadVinci says:

Athony, here’s one logo suggestion from me. I call it “Embrace the hockeystick”.

29. ThomasR says:

My try for a logo (not artful, but perhaps helpful):

30. yonason says:

We didn’t catch the last big science fraud in time

So, we know the extent of the havoc they can reek. Hopefully with the resources now available to expose “progressive ‘science’,” we can keep the AGW train from arriving at it’s destination.

31. Tom says:

I can definitely help. I have 45 credits towards a masters in LIS, though I have not as yet worked in a library. (There is a good reason why I haven’t graduated as yet, and will share it with Anthony.)

But I do know all about the importance of meta data and cataloging.

Please contact me by email.

Tom

32. yonason says:

Wash your mind with new and improved Climategate, and fight truth decay in all the wrong ways.

What we’ve done to your teeth, we can do to your brain.

REPLY: link says “account inactive”

33. Robinson says:

Just papers, or comment too? Morano puts both on his. I do hope your repository isn’t quite to in-your-face ;).

If comment is allowed, then Joanne Nova has some insightful things to say, as does James Delingpole and of course Christopher Booker

Today’s article in The Times was quite weighty as well.

You might also want to include Singer’s site: Sciency & Environmental Policy Project. He does a weekly round-up of everything that’s been going on.

34. Robinson says:

Dadvinci, allow me to comment (as a former web developer and CGI coder). I think the idea is great, but the text should be 2d with a subtle shadow. Otherwise, it’s perfect.

35. Invariant says:

Dear Dr. Svalgaard,

While your HMF B data that goes back to 1835 surely must be regarded as most reliable, I am not certain whether the HADCRUT3 data that I have used in my Matlab program is reliable anymore, that is, after ClimateGate. This is sad.

Therefore, I have a question that may be of some general interest for many people here at WUWT. If I had to pick (not cherry-pick) a single temperature time series, from a single geographical location, going back to 1835 or earlier, that could be regarded as “the best possible” thermometer time-series for our planet, what geographical locations should I choose? Note, that the magnitude of the offset to the unknown reference global temperature is not relevant as long as the offset remains as constant as possible. Seems that central England temperatures could not be used as “global thermometer”, they are way to flat.

Do you have any recommendations?

Kind Regards,

Invariant

36. yonason says:

RE: “Account Inactive” (response to my

That’s odd. It works fine for me. Anyone else having a problem?
    ________________________________________

Climategate is just the tip of the iceberg. They distort everything. Here’s just one more example of what they aren’t telling you, because it conflicts with their fantasy model.

37. charles the moderator says:

You should consider Moshpit for librarian.

38. yonason says:

RE: “Account Inactive” (response to my yonason (13:28:49) :)

That’s odd. It works fine for me. Anyone else having a problem?

39. 40 Shades of Green says:

Anthony,

Thank you for all the work you and your volunteers do. Could I suggest a way for you to perhaps make a little money to help cover the costs of the site. How about this.

Every now and again, assemble a book of essays on climate science from the articles posted here and sell it on the site, and indeed other sites. The book of essays could be either purchased electronically or physically. There are a large number of web services that will publish books on demand. The biggest I understand is http://www.lulu.com.

I for one would love to purchase some of the great articles that appear here and either, leave them around my house for visitors to pick up, or indeed send them to friends as gifts. I can think of a few politicians I would like to send copies to too.

My suggestion for how to structure the book would be as follows. Let us assume that there is material for a book every 3 months. Well I suggest you start with an essay that summarises the developments in Climate Science over the past three months and points to (unfortunately you cannot double click paper) relevant essays discussing them. The rest of the book consists of the essays.

I think a great way to start would be an essay on the last week where you have essentially taken over the job of the main stream media.

40 Shades

40. DadVinci says:

Robinson suggested that i could change the font on the logo to 2D and add a shadow.
    Yep, that looks nice too! Thanks for the tip Robinson :)

The logo with manipulated data: http://i49.tinypic.com/15wcsno.jpg

41. Power Grab says:

Here’s my contribution for the logo:

42. Chilly Bean says:

Hi Anthony,

I think a very good way to rake in some extra funding for your site and promote the dispersal of the truth would be to release a pack of cards as in the Iraq war. Climate Liars most wanted 52 with a brief description of each persons part in the conspiracy. How about a poll to let people choose the people they hold most responsible.

The logo could be the pack of cards in some way. Just an idea.

43. cbullitt says:

I like DadVinci’s Hockey Stick logo.

44. cbullitt says:

Here is mine–which I’ve already used.

129038151973297782.jpg

45. Clive says:

DadVinci … the hockey stick idea is great!

Maybe it should be broken. ☺

46. yonason says:

Power Grab (14:17:46) :

LOL! It may be too “busy” for some, but I love it!

47. Tony says:

Logo’s I worked up… Two sizes, same basic idea. I have high res versions available that can be modified / shared as needed.

REPLY: can’t quite make out the transparent object at left – what is it?

48. yonason says:

DadVinci (14:01:10) :

What about turning the hockey stick over, breaking off just the down curve, and duct taping it to go up? At least make it obvious that it was manipulated, but not too busy. Otherwise great logo!

49. Danzaroni says:

One more logo… featuring al gore.

50. Power Grab says:

yonason (14:38:45)

Thanks! :-D

I can tell that you “get it”!

51. Power Grab says:

Re: Tony’s logos

The thing at the left is a pile of paper tapes. At first, I thought it was an image of a Star Wars-style storm trooper, though…heh…not a bad allusion!

52. Jan says:

A first attempt:

suggestions for improvement welcome.

53. Tony says:

@reply… It was shredded paper – Didn’t come out as well as I had hoped. Here is the same without. Can move things around as needed if you desire.

54. vigilantfish says:

I want to vote for DadVinci’s hockey stick – emblematic of the heart of the fraud, Steve McIntyre’s hard work and probably the most recognizable symbol of climate ‘science’ in the past 10 years!

55. vjones says:

DadVinci’s Hockey Stick logo is good – simple and clear – hard to beat.

I’d love to volunteer, but Tonyb would kill me as I already voluntered to do stuff for him.

56. Lewis Deane says:

Dear Anthony,
    With (3.) do you mean you need a way to ‘lable’ this crises other than the way the search engines do?
    With (2) what does a ‘librarian volunteer ‘ do. How does he/she populate these pages?
    And (1) what do you mean by we ‘need additional links’ – surely all the search engines are working overtime to link to you?
    Anyway, I would love to help if I could give the time – ie, do you need a full time commitment or what
    With regards, Lewis.

57. jtwigge says:

The very fact that this topic is so open to argument after all of the years that climate science has been investigating global warming is the real problem.

In my opinion we should put aside the arguments of who is right for now and push that climate science in particular but any science with global repercusions in general shoud be opened up by law for public scrutiny.

If global warming is real and dangerous it would be a travesty that the actions we need to take to combat it are averted because of the Climategate scandal.

If global warming is not so dangerous and large scale global changes are made that cost billions of pounds damaging the economy and billions of peoples lives in the process then that would be just as much of a travesty as well.

Six months of open data should see real progress in checking and validating the whole thing so that going forward the results would be far more credible.

The fact that we have a position where climate scientists appear to have behaved in a way that makes it difficult to believe in their integrity casts doubt on their results – regardless of which side of the argument is correct. And, that must be addressed quickly.

Why we must have open science and open data – http://righttobe.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/%E2%80%9Cclimategate%E2%80%9D-reaches-the-mainstream-press/

jon

58. John Silver says:

Clive (14:36:02) :

“DadVinci … the hockey stick idea is great!

Maybe it should be broken. ☺”

A gate made from broken hockey sticks?

59. Paul Vaughan says:

Jan (14:55:27) ” http://i48.tinypic.com/vq2jhl.jpg

It causes involuntary laughter – [the dragon is great on several levels].

60. Bill P says:

If you’d like to use any of the following three images for a logo, have at it. Their significance is debatable, but to me they speak volumes. I’ll be happy to explain any of them further to the best of my ability.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/209frk6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/nd56hs.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/xfpzs1.jpg[/IMG]

Bill P

61. magicjava says:

I’ve put together these eight images. If you like one but it’s not quite right, let me know. I’ll draw up a variant that fits what you need.

62. Bill P says:

Oops. Oh well, I’ll try again later.

63. Clive says:

Shamelessly stole DadVinci’s great Hockey Stick! The stick is HIS idea! ☺☺

64. Reed Coray says:

Clive (14:36:02) :

“DadVinci … the hockey stick idea is great!

Maybe it should be broken. ☺”

A gate made from broken hockey sticks?

With a dog eating a computer disk on the other side of the gate.

65. Another Brit says:

How about two juxtaposed hockey sticks, one red pointing up, one blue pointing down. Nice and simple.

Many thanks for all the good work here, I just wish our politicians would wake up to this. As I see it, there is no issue of “left” or “right” in this argument, I believe it should transcend politics. It is depressing to see science distorted in this way, and there is no doubt that heads should roll and proper enquiries be conducted. However, I suspect that this will be a long haul, as the MSM only has an attention span of about 2 weeks, and will hope that by the end of this week, the story is dying. It is going to require some stamina to keep this going. The average politician’s attention span is even shorter, as has been shown by the lack of any mainstream politician in this country even noticing what has occurred. Frankly, I despair, but after the expenses scandal here, I should hardly be surprised. Difficult to see the wood from the trees when your snout is in the trough!

66. Anthony, you are doing the world a great service.
    How do I make a cash contribution to this effort?

[Click on the "donate" button along the right side of the home page. ~dbs, moderator]

67. yonason says:

Reed Coray (15:33:50) :

“With a dog eating a computer disk on the other side of the gate.”

LOL

What about Jones chasing the dog, shouting “come back with my data?”

68. John Whitman says:

Anthony,

Below was also posted over on your ClimateGate site too.

John
    – – – –
    Anthony,

Here is just a 5 min pencil sketch of a logo concept for your ClimateGate site.

If this simple concept is something that you might consider, then it can be refined.

John

69. Roger Knights says:

How about a goal-keeper lunging after a puck with his stick while the red light on the goal turns red?

The goal would not be the normal hockey goal, but a gate through which the puck has broken or gotten between the bars. (This would visually suggest that the goal-keeper is a “gatekeeper” — i.e., an establishmentarian editor, reviewer, or scientific society official.)

The goalie’s mask should have a demonic image painted on it.

The puck should be yellow, in the image of a sol-like sun, and perhaps have a smiley face.

This would really grab people by dramatizing the scandal. If it’s thought to be too complex for a logo, it would be worth doing anyway. It might find a use in some other way.

70. John Galt says:

Climate change data dumped

SCIENTISTS at the University of East Anglia (UEA) have admitted throwing away much of the raw temperature data on which their predictions of global warming are based.

It means that other academics are not able to check basic calculations said to show a long-term rise in temperature over the past 150 years.

MORE…

(Please delete if this has already been posted)

71. twawki says:

Climategate with Australian slant on news, links etc

72. Clive says:

John Whitman’s concept has merit as it leans toward a “higher plain” … rather upscale and intellectual. Good idea too.

73. When you have a chance, please expand your donation page to accommodate larger numbers, or provide a mailing address to send donations to.

REPLY: Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve edited the page to allow any amount in the form, see the bottom link. Thanks so much – Anthony

74. Roger Knights says:

PS: WRT the gatekeeper-goalie cartoon I just suggested, I waive any rights to it. I urge people with graphics skills to make it their own. (And donate it to WUWT, natch.)

Incidentally, perhaps the goalie’s stick could be broken at the blade.

75. twawki says:

Ok cliemategate logo here;

oops did I spell that wrong

anyway pics behind can change, as can fonts etc but you get the gist of it!

76. Keith G says:

Happy to help. Full disclosure upon request via e-mail.

77. AEGeneral says:

My submission for the Climategate logo:

78. magicjava says:

Just noticed my “who’s Who” video got used by the Examiner. http://www.examiner.com/x-25061-Climate-Change-Examiner~y2009m11d28-Climategate-the-video–Whos-who-and-what-was-said

It’s great to see the information getting out and want to thank Anthony once again for posting the video here.

I also want to say that I’m placing the video in the public domain, so that there’s no Copyright, IP, or other barriers to other organizations using the video.

79. royfomr says:

New Hockey-stick emerging?
    Now that Anthony is drawing up plans for a ClimateGate department then, perhaps, this may be of interest.
    Last Friday at 1:30’ish Uk time, I googled the following:
    “Google ClimateGate” – the quotes are required – and got 223 entries.
    Two days later, I re-entered the phrase and Mr G kindly informed that he’d located some 440 such search-results. According to my (non peer-reviewed sadly) back of the envelope calculations this approximates to a doubling in just two days!
    I have some questions that I’d appreciate being answered.
    (1) Could this be an example of a Geometric or Exponential Expansion and if so is it unprecedented?
    (2) if the rise as reported above was extrapolated, without value-adding to the start and end dates of the Copenhagen thingy what kind of Googlometrics may be expected?
    (3) As two above but with G-Forcings such as the artificial insertion of the phrase “Google ClimateGate” into everyday conversations and activities eg Q-My lupins appear to be less colourful than hitherto, what should I do? A- Google ClimateGate.
    (4) If I found out that I had a friend and it then turned out that they were worried about Global warming should I (a) become lonely again or (b) tell them to “Google ClimateGate”?

80. Clive says:

Back and forth …

81. Robinson says:

TheDuke over on CA posted a link to a brilliant article on peer-review:

The National Review

82. yonason says:

SINCE THIS IS THE OLDEST SCAM IN THE BOOK – LITERALLY,

perhaps one could somehow work this image into the logo?

You see, you do not have to believe that the following was an historic event for this to be relevant. The fact is, that it is the oldest record of psycopathic tyrants playing on the popular fear of a global natural disaster.

Ancient Jewish tradition informs us that Nimrod “…support[ed] a theory which propose[d] that the Great Flood WAS A NATURAL AND PREDICTABLE EVENT [my emphasis]. You see, the flood occurred 1656 years after Creation. Obviously, the Earth experiences sky quakes that occur in cycles of 1656 years and they cause floods. Nimrod commission[ed] the construction of a huge tower to hold back the sky to protect civilization from the next eruption’.”

Our “carbon credits” are their bricks. Our “reduction of CO2 emissions” is their “Tower of Babel.” Everyone must be inducted and serve the masters of the world, in an epic enslavement of Biblical proportions.

Now, as then, they try to con us into squandering our precious resources so that they can be the entitled masters. All the world is expected to selflessly submit to their authority and direction, and to dedicate it’s entire energies to avoiding a catastrophe that wouldn’t occur in any case.

It’s the same scam, adjusted for the time.

83. Invariant (13:40:55) :
    Craig Loehle’s reconstruction looks good to me.
    There are some good ones for central Europe here: http://members.casema.nl/errenwijlens/co2/europe.htm

84. royfomr says:

BBC reporting again. Sorry about piling on but this organisation does seem to have an excessive amount of self-hating individualists in positions that’ll happily destroy everything that has pulled us out out the swamp.
    The UK public are bullied into paying for access to a medium that owes nothing to the political leanings of those who now write the script for what is allowable as fit for public consumption!
    Fair enough, a current majority are content with the popular pap that you throw up as Arena entertainment; that’ll pass and with a vengeance – the common folk whom you believe can be satisfied with the odd superior toss of a scrap from the masters, your, table are, shock horror, easily as clever as you delude yourself that you are!
    Ignore ClimateGate at your peril Folks, keep spinning the denialist line of it’s worse than we thought, your Kids are going to die because of you!
    Forget it delusioners. Joe, the plumber or candlestick maker – who ever – real Joes and Janes- not only Loves his kids and their kids but he doesn’t scare them to wet their beds with state-funded sermons of how bad Mummy and Daddy are!!!
    MSM- It’s you in the spotlight- just google “google ClimateGate” and start worrying about real issues.

85. royfomr says:

Just do your job MSM folks and let the truth come out. Anything else is just anti-human – as both Steve, Anthony et al have said for years- despite what Gavin, phil et al have said.
    Follow the funding, the recognition and the feel-good factor but, mostly, recognise the truth that used to be a given when Science was mentioned.

86. yonason says:

Also, I’m not the only one who has made the connection (re” my yonason (17:43:17) ).

He goes much deeper into the psychology.

87. reid simpson says:

It has just come to my attention that if the emails were obtained illegally then the potential illegal actions identified therein would *not* be prosecutable. This significantly increases the odds that the emails were deliberately released, imo.

88. Tom in Texas says:

This is my first time with tinypic, so it may not work.

I took a previously posted logo and “shreded” it in GIMP (an easy 10 sec. step).

89. I like this one… Could be adapted to make a logo

I would put climategate as a shield to protect the planet from Gore fire.

90. Peter S says:

Here’s my effort – bit big for a logo though!

REPLY: That one made me LOL! – A

91. Clive says:

Whoa Peter S! ☺☺ You coming over to clean the Coke off my screen?! Hilarious! Need that. Well done.

92. Christopher Byrne says:

Climategate Logo:

Feel free to cut out whatever you want.

93. The Wizard says:

re: a logo, featuring “the wizard behind the curtain” would be appropriate. Something similar to this perhaps:

94. Kathryn Ubl says:

I’m a librarian. What do you need?

(There’s a terrific blog going on right on this site, right now. A bunch of people are testing the widespread and total Censorship going on to block this story.)

I would like to concentrate on the multinationals on the boycott list at nocapandtrade.com who are complicit in this treason.

95. Jeff Id says:

It doesn’t say awaiting moderation, I’m not sure if my post went through.

96. yonason says:

Peter S (18:45:20) :

When you’re done cleaning the coke off Clive (18:54:21)’s monitor, I’m next in line.

Hilarious!

97. Jeff Id says:

I’ll try again.

Here are a few from tAV which I would suggest:

The original link noticed by Steve Mosher.

Ryan’s comments to Andy Revkin

Initial criticism of media coverage. Not sure if this matters but historically it has meaning.

Briffa’s hand waiving explanations of hide the decline

John Pittman’s explanation of why yamal matters

A comprehensive collection of the FOIA emails.

Of course I don’t care which make the list but some do have significance WRT the release of climategate.

98. chugg says:

Here;s a great epitaph for under the cemetary gate pic.

Here lies the IPCC CRU
    DIED – Dec-2009-
    Aged-… NO LESS NO MRE

Plus some poem’s to spread

The IPCC CRU shall grow not old, as we who exposed them are left grow old,
    Age shall surely weary them and for years will be condemned,
    At the calming down of the sun and in the cold mornings to come,
    We will remember them.

Make a stick, make a stick, Michael Mann,
    Choose the proxies as only you can,
    Flip them and smooth them and take the PC,
    Do a >TRICK<and HIDE for IPCC clan,
    Copenhagen’s not far off you see,
    But better watch out for the hacker man,
    Delete those e-mails on the one fir tree,
    Oop’s too late,sh*t’s hit fan.
    Quick make excuse as fast as you can.

99. Clive says:

Last logo … (I’ve a “letter to the editor” to get out tonight! ☺)

100. yonason says:

So, if AGW has always been dead, why can’t we kill it already?

101. yonason says:

Clive (20:27:15) :

How about the IPCC side of the scale outweighing real open science, and doing so with an entire hockey team in the balance?

Yeah, I know, everyone’s a critic.

102. Clive says:

yonason ..ah….good concept…we could use the hockey stick as the scale lever…hummm…..I have a busy day tomorrow..shall see…needs to be KISS.

DadVinci’s hockey stick concept is very good… I like his logo…iI was just messing…

I also like Reed Coray’s idea of “Oh I am so sorry Mr. Pachauri, my dog ate the data..” ☺ ☺ ☺

I gotta get some sleep….will muse on this overnight.

103. observa says:

If there’s a budding graphics expert about perhaps they’d like to cook up a suitable graphic logo titled- ‘You can’t make ice hockey sticks from tree rings’

104. jorgekafkazar says:

Leif, good to see you here again.

105. jorgekafkazar says:

Chilly Bean (14:19:17) : “I think a very good way to rake in some extra funding for your site and promote the dispersal of the truth would be to release a pack of cards as in the Iraq war. Climate Liars most wanted 52 with a brief description of each persons part in the conspiracy…”

I suggested something similar to Anthony this year and got no response. I still think it’s a good idea, only I’m against the idea of putting people on the cards, ala Iraq. This is not a manhunt. I prefer a refutation (e.g., actual climate graphs, temperature vs CO2 lag, equations, valid statements of facts about AGW, etc.) on each card. These decks should be designed to be broken and passed out to neutral parties, a card at a time. Or leave them in lunch rooms, libraries, etc.

106. Frederick Michael says:

Google is back to not suggesting Climategate.

107. yonason says:

Clive (21:46:19) :

Lots of good stuff. I didn’t see anything I didn’t like.

108. DadVinci says:

I just woke up and now I noticed that many people like my design :)
    There are also some suggestions made to “manipulate” the hockeystick.

A logo usually works best when it’s kept fairly simple without putting to much symbolism in it. A logo doesn’t have to explain all the details.
    The key words are: ClimateGate and Hockeystick. Those together sums up the big picture in a symbolic way. The logo is in cool colors, but the end of the hockeystick is in a very warm color and that symbolise the altering of data.
    If it happens that Anthony like the design, i will of course make any adjustments he wishes for. I can also provide the logo in different sizes (also print version).

Off topic: Im very annoyed about the fact that my country’s, Finland, big media is very quiet about ClimateGate. They just reported that some mean hackers stole emails from important climate scientist. People are getting mad here… It seems that these days the best source for information are blogs & internet, not mass media. And I dont mean just climategate.
    Do we need TV & newspapers anymore?

109. jorgekafkazar says:

“Please stay away from anything derogatory.”

Okay. But to really capture the essence of Climategate in a simple logo, in my opinion, requires that it reflect to some degree the fact that the Warmist willies have been secretive, deceptive, and malicious.

I do like “The Emperor,” though. If it’s original artwork, I think it meets all requirements except simplicity. And it’s definitely not derogatory to the IPCC, relatively speaking. Rather flattering, actually.

I’ll hold onto my logo for some other time. Keep up the good work.

110. Invariant says:

Leif Svalgaard (17:58:12) : Craig Loehle’s reconstruction looks good to me.

Thanks Dr. Svalgaard, It is so good to have you back here at WUWT! I agree with rbateman that we all miss the solar topic.

Yours Sincerely

Invariant

111. Dennis O says:

I Just googled “grants site:cru.uea.ac.uk” and up popped the following.

This is a link to a web page titled “Recent CRU grants-Grants active since 1 January 2007,” which breaks down the distribution of roughly £3 million of grant money. The following information is provided: “Project title/Contractor,” “Investigator(s),” “Value,” and “Start/End” dates. Among the dozen investigators named are Jones and Briffa.

Nothing necessarily sinister here. In this era £3 million distributed among a dozen investigators is probably not unreasonable. Nevertheless, this information might be useful to someone trying to understand where some of the money was coming from.

112. P Gosselin says:

I haven’t read the comments, but I’m sure you’ll get loads of volunteers.
    It’s good idea!

113. P Gosselin says:

Logo:
    How about superimposing Mann’s face on this graphic, next to Ticky Dick’s?

114. P Gosselin says:

Instead of the tape recorder – use tree rings

115. Gregg E. says:

I’ve been trying to think of something with a hockey stick having its blade smashed off by a puck labeled CRU DOCUMENTS.

116. David says:

I’m getting an Error 492 when trying to post here. Anyone else?

117. David says:

logo?

…with apologies to the obvious…

118. P Wilson says:

Leif Svalgaard (17:58:12)

Leif: Exceptional and objective as usual.

please come back

119. MH says:

To me DadVinci’s hockeystick looks a bit like a rifle or a gun. Maybe by adding some smoke it could be turned into a smoking gun or a hockeystick firing back.

120. Cathy says:

DadVinci’s logo and explanation say it all.

” . . . works best when it’s kept fairly simple without putting to much symbolism in it. A logo doesn’t have to explain all the details.”

(Most other suggestions are good, too – Loved the IPCC as naked emperor!)

121. David says:

@Me (02:50:31):
    Humm, for some reason, that free webhost seems to be picking up a referrer and not displaying the logo unless you copy/paste. Weirdness.
    This should work:

122. TnE says:

not really a Logo. I will cook one up later. This one just came to mind when I sat down and I followed …

123. TnE says:

Still not a logo and I know that I am a horrible person and will go to hell (not only for this mind you) http://i48.tinypic.com/15f26mt.jpg

124. fafhrd says:

My entry for the logo in the spirit of “I am not a Crook”

125. Power Grab says:

royfomr (18:22:13) :

“Just do your job MSM folks and let the truth come out. Anything else is just anti-human . . . ”

Hear, hear!

126. JohnRS says:

or modify DadVinci’s excellent logo to something like this (can’t see if anyone’s already done this)

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2dumb2q.jpg[/IMG]

127. Loco says:

Climategate is finally making headway in Australia. Listen to this report on the ABC Radio National “Counterpoint” interview with Aynsley Kellow
    Professor and Head of the School of Government at the University of Tasmania. Expert reviewer for the the United Nation’s IPPC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) Fourth Assessment Report: Climate Change and Key Vulnerabilities.

128. KeithGuy says:

Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood this ClimateGate issue, but is it about a group of highly influential climate scientists that have worked in cahoots with each other to create a graphical representation of the global temperatures for the past thousand years that uses some pretty clever statistical techniques and computer algorithms to suppress the Medieval Warm Period, thaw out the Little Ice Age and grossly exaggerate 20th Century warming?
    ….(Quick pause to take a breath)…

When asked to explain how they created this graph, am I right to say that these same highly influential scientists have claimed to have lost the original data and will not release the algorithms in case someone criticises them?
    I think it should be called FabriGate not ClimateGate!

I find it depressing to think that this is the state of Climate Science.
    Still here’s a joke to cheer us up:
    What is the difference between a Mann with a broken hockey stick and a constipated bird?
    A Mann with a broken hockey stick swings but can’t hit and a constipated bird has wings but can’t ****!

Great site Anthony!

129. Loco says:

I’m a little fed up with the arrogance at Google. I left this message for them… not that it will do any good!
    I thought your philosophy was that you would never use the “power” of Google to affect, intrude or alter the “will of the people”. It is obvious to me that you have decided, through your personal beliefs, to turn off the auto prompt for CLIMATEGATE to assist in making searches just a little more difficult for “we the people” because it disagrees with your opinions. So much for freedom of speech and expression at Google!
    Kim de Lacy – Australia
    kdelacy@gmail.com

130. The Iconoclast says:

This guy posted a “nothing to see here, move along” article but now says…

One theme, in addition to those already mentioned about the suppression of dissent, the suppression of data and methods, and the suppression of the unvarnished truth, comes through especially strongly: plain statistical incompetence. This is something that Henderson’s study raised, and it was also emphasised in the Wegman report on the Hockey Stick, and in other independent studies of the Hockey Stick controversy. Of course it is also an ongoing issue in Steve McIntyre’s campaign to get hold of data and methods. Nonetheless I had given it insufficient weight. Climate scientists lean very heavily on statistical methods, but they are not necessarily statisticians. Some of the correspondents in these emails appear to be out of their depth. This would explain their anxiety about having statisticians, rather than their climate-science buddies, crawl over their work.

I’m also surprised by the IPCC’s response. Amid the self-justification, I had hoped for a word of apology, or even of censure. (George Monbiot called for Phil Jones to resign, for crying out loud.) At any rate I had expected no more than ordinary evasion. The declaration from Rajendra Pachauri that the emails confirm all is as it should be is stunning. Science at its best. Science as it should be. Good lord. This is pure George Orwell. And these guys call the other side “deniers”.

131. Calvin Ball says:

I came across this excellent analysis on an econ blog: http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/10436.html

It deserves to be part of any reference.

132. Roger Knights says:

MH (03:17:41) :

“To me DadVinci’s hockey stick looks a bit like a rifle or a gun. Maybe by adding some smoke it could be turned into a smoking gun or a hockey stick firing back.”

How about a hockey stick whose blade has bent around 180 degrees and has back-fired a “smoking gun” along its shaft (back at its wielder)? I think that packs a lot into a simple image that will immediately communicate a nicely laden message.

133. Boudu says:

I see a theme emerging !

Here’s my initial idea. Will have another go tomorrow when I get near my computer with Photoshop.

134. Jeff says:

I would suggest a Unicorn as the Climategate logo … for a large portion of earths history everyone just “knew” they existed and plenty of con men made up artifacts to sell “proving” their existance …

I believe the CRU FOIA request process goes something like this …

1) First Request – ignore it
    2) Second Request – insist data is available elsewhere
    3) Third Request – insist data is “private”
    4) Fourth Request – delete the data
    5) Fifth Request – admit the data was “lost” due to space considerations (hard drives and DVD discs are expensive)

135. yonason says:

The Iconoclast (09:58:54) :

He’s now adopting the Moonbat Monbiot strategy; admit those caught were wrong, but assert that there is a lot more “science” that supports AGW, so just clean up that mess and everything will be fine. They refuse to admit it’s dead.

136. Mark M says:

All

If any further proof where needed that the online media’s coverage of this knocks the combined output of the MSM into a cocked ten gallon hat, try this excellent summary from Andrew Orlowski of The Register

137. Rosemary Meling says:

Here’s a graphic you can have if it suits. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pzx5U09Fh3NplUGipfvTww?feat=directlink

I stayed with classic B&W but color could be added easily.

I appreciate all that you are doing and can’t thank you enough for your informative site.

138. Roger Knights says:

Rosemary: I like it, but it would be a bit better if it were the thumb that’s on the scale.

139. Made an image, that is free to use wherever you want, let’s go viral.

140. Walter Dnes says:

Apparently the BBC’s weatherman had the emails a month before we did, but he sat on them. Probably didn’t want them to surface before Copenhagen. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231763/BBC-weatherman-ignored-leaked-climate-row-emails.html

And when someone brings up the old red-herring about skeptics being profusely funded by big oil, show them all the money thrown around at http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/research/grants.htm And yes, it’s *THAT* Briffa and *THAT* Jones.

141. yonason says:

AUSSIES MAY BE ABLE TO AVERT DISASTER FOR THEMSELVES

142. yonason says:

Rosemary Meling (14:43:46) :

Of all the other clever, funny and well done logos, I think yours perhaps has all the right elements, without being too busy. You’ve got my vote.

143. Smokey says:

Walter Dnes,

That second link was an eye opener. From perusing the entities [Eco-change, SCORCHIO, etc.] that are shoveling cash into these public employees’ pockets, the scientists are in effect working for two bosses: the grantor, and the taxpayers.

For example, Phil Jones pocketed around £50,000 for the following study [see if you can spot the agenda]:

Our urban and city areas are becoming increasingly unhealthy, dangerous and uncomfortable to work and live in. These areas are remarkably vulnerable to global warming; unhealthiness and discomfort from buildings overheating in the summer and increased pollution as well as flooding, subsidence and other effects. The 2003 heat wave was considered responsible for 14,802 and 2,045 excess deaths in France and England and Wales respectively. Projected rates of urban growth mean that vulnerability will increase at the same time as the impacts of climate change become greater…

So we have a situation where trusts, foundations, quangos and foreign governments all give these folks lots of money [over $22 million to Phil Jones alone] in order to buy a pre-ordained conclusion, which the grantor can point to as an authority because it has the college’s imprimatur and the name of a [formerly] respected scientist.

But where does that leave the taxpayers, who provide these scientists with their weekly paychecks? Certainly they are not getting the unbiased science from their public employees that they are paying for.

These grants are a corrupting influence. Grants of any kind should be given directly to the organization the scientist works for, not to the individual. But as we see, it is the individual who is named as the grantee.

Not many people, whether or not they are scientists, will give a paying grantor a conclusion the grantor doesn’t like. The message is clear: support our agenda — or our grant money will go to someone else who does.

144. yonason says:

Alan Caruba has a nice “logo” in his post on the topic.

145. E.M.Smith says:

There is a good discussion going on here:

146. Clive says:

Anthony, et al

I vote for Rosemary Meling’s logo. May need some tweaks, but it follows the KISS principle and has a message as well. (Glad you liked the “scales of justice” Rosemary. ☺)

The hockey stick still has merit. It too is a decent idea. Tells a large story as well.

Clive

147. Power Grab says:

Rosemary Meling (14:43:46)

Nice. Satisfying. I like it.

Can you use the font “Copperplate” on the top text? It adds to the classic feel of the piece.

148. Rosemary Meling says:

I have uploaded some variations of the basic logo I designed before. There are literally millions of possibilities; I love playing with these. Just help yourself to any Climategate item. I did make some with Copperplate text, white on black, beveled edge, colors…

There is only one in the lot that isn’t Climategate and that’s because I haven’t figured out how to move it yet. :-S

149. Rosemary Meling says:

I apologize. I posted the wrong link! THIS is the link to the album.

150. Rosemary Meling says:

CRU’s Source Code: Climategate Uncovered — I’m well read, but I have a Bachelor of ARTS degree so this programming code stuff is beyond my ken. The article has details I cannot grasp.

“One can only imagine the angst suffered daily by the co-conspirators, who knew full well that the “Documents” sub-folder of the CRU FOI2009 file contained more than enough probative program source code to unmask CRU’s phantom methodology.

In fact, there are hundreds of IDL and FORTRAN source files buried in dozens of subordinate sub-folders. And many do properly analyze and chart maximum latewood density (MXD), the growth parameter commonly utilized by CRU scientists as a temperature proxy, from raw or legitimately normalized data. Ah, but many do so much more.”

151. Alec, a.k.a. Daffy Duck says:

Just posting this as I hadn’t heard about the Canadian hacking:

“…Scotland Yard amid speculation that hackers also tried to break into a second climate institution in Canada.”

152. Bart van Deenen says:

Melanie Phillips at the UK Spectator magazine has an interesting blog piece on Climategate

153. Power Grab says:

Rosemary Meling (04:18:07)

Another idea: How about putting as a background the same kind of “engraved” scrollwork as appears on money?

I wonder what it would look like if that background changed color, starting red (at the left) and changing to blue (at the right)?

Or, just use money-green for the background scrollwork. It will pop out more as looking like traditional money.

Here’s another thought: what if you used stacks of coins on the two sides of the balance–e.g., a larger stack on the left and a smaller stack on the right. I’m thinking that would illustrate the motivation of the perps to make our current prosperity count for nothing when compared to simply doing what they say. It’s all about money and power anyway, right?

154. Rosemary Meling says:

Power Grab, thanks for the suggestions but I think there’s only so much a logo can or should do. Now this subject is ripe for oodles of editorial cartoons and that would be fun to do. I did play with some textured backgrounds but they were too busy and made it difficult to look at without one’s eyes crossing. The squares in the scales may represent any number of things but I was thinking of scientific data when I put them there. And you are right, it really does seem to be all about money and power and probably fame, too. It’s also clear the arrogant perpetrators think we are all just too stupid to live.

155. Power Grab says:

Rosemary,

Thanks for the consideration, anyway.

You do good work!

156. yonason says:

Rosemary Meling

Maybe this one? It’s got an appropriate “green” background, which makes the rest of it stand out nicely.

The colorful ones are prettier, but obscure the message slightly, I think.

I see you have Islam nailed, too.

157. Rosemary Meling says:

yonason

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I like that particular logo. I put down a texture and then put a color layer over it and it doesn’t seem to interfere as much. I rarely start in color. My theory is that if the design can’t stand up in black & white, color can’t save it.

That cartoon was made just after Ft. Hood. My way of venting.

158. Tony says:

Great stuff all of this…

Not sure this point is raised here but, every time I’ve played with cheaters at cards they always played at two levels… the one that people could see and the one they didn’t want anyone to spend much time thinking about so, I’m skeptical that this is really the end of the game that’s being played.

Given the conditions of the e-mails’ theft (see Steve Milloy’s observation on ) I’m suspicious of what is still lurking in the shadows that the CRU related minions really, REALLY don’t want to be found.

If, as it seems, these emails were actually prepared by the CRU for a FOI request and ‘left’ to be found, then I’m sensing a trap or misdirection play… just a feeling but, if I were a forensic investigator I’d control my glee at finding these emails and quietly continue digging for the real payoff still out there.

Maybe it’s there… maybe not… but, my nose is itching and it only does that when I’m on the trail of something.

159. yonason says:

Tony (15:55:02) :

It’s certainly a possibility.

160. Roger Knights says:

“I’m suspicious of what is still lurking in the shadows that the CRU related minions really, REALLY don’t want to be found.”

This is one of the reasons I think this story has legs. Once Inhofe’s committee, or UK investigators, get authority to look into the archives of the service provider for the Team and their co-conspirators, naughty stuff may well come out and/or it may turn out that, contrary to claims, stuff subject to an FOI request had been deleted. We’ve just got a peek under the rock so far–and my surprise is that it wasn’t considerably worse.

161. Clive says:

Only of interest here in Canada. The CBC (a wee bit left of the BBC) actually had a feature on Climategate on tonight’s late news!! Naturally, they tried to spin it and even interviewed a Canuck climate researcher on who said his office had been being broken into and there were spurious people wandering around his university. (The implication of course that these were evil “skeptics.” Boo. )

Other than a couple of gloss-over spins, they did say that the leak brought the while climate issue into question.

Still … I never really expected to see this on the CBC’s main newscast. What did THAT take the CBC .. a mere 12 days? ☺ ☺

Investigative journalism at its best, eh?

162. turbanbombe says:

I know this is not exactly a logo, however:

And of course there’s always this:

(Not too SFW I must add :-) )

163. magicjava says: