Heartland doubled the number of individual donors since Peter Gleick’s Fakegate scandal

Jim Lakely, Heartland’s communications director, takes Daniel Souweine of the TV meteorologist hassling group Fabricate Forecast the Facts to task in this piece on the Heartland blog:

Reports of Heartland’s Demise Are Greatly Exaggerated

By Jim Lakely

Yesterday, the boss addressed an article in a recent edition of The Economist reporting wishing for the downfall of The Heartland Institute. Definitely check it out — especially for the part in which the esteemed international publication acknowledged Heartland’s important and influential position in the climate debate.

On the heels of that Economist story came a piece at the Huffington Post by Daniel Souweine, the campaign director for Forecast The Facts — a recently cooked-up astroturf outfit that has engaged in a social media and letter-writing campaign against some of Heartland’s corporate donors.

The title of Souweine’s piece is, “The People-Power-Inflicted Downfall of Heartland.” Hate to break it to you, Dan, but there is no “downfall.” While you and your leftist activist buddies have been exchanging high fives and taking a “victory” lap, Heartland has been keepin’ on keepin’ on — and better than ever.

Below is what I wrote in the comment section below Souweine’s piece. The response to my dousing of rain on their parade brought predictably lame counter-comments — which have added amusement to my weekend. Anyway, on to what I wrote:

The big trouble with your piece, Daniel, is that its overall theme – that Heartland is in “decline” and has brought about its own “downfall” – is simply not true. Or, to borrow from Mark Twain: Reports of Heartland’s demise are greatly exaggerated.

As Mr. Bast explains in his blog post, the idea Heartland lost nearly $1 million in donations is false: “Most of the donors who have said they won’t continue to support us have agreed to fund new or existing groups that will continue our work; some already contributed this year before their announcements; and others had indicated they would not fund us even before the billboard controversy. We have now raised considerably more from current and new donors than we may have lost due to the controversy.”

So not only is Heartland not “down” a net $1 million, Heartland is not even at a net “zero” after spinning off its dedicated insurance projects. We’re up in funds, overall. Heartland has already doubled the number of individual donors since Peter Gleick’s Fakegate scandal, and we expect that number to continue to rise steeply throughout 2012.

In short, exactly the opposite of what leftist activists intended – let alone claim to have achieved – has actually occurred. If you think 2012 marks the “demise” of The Heartland Institute, I suggest you check back with us in five, 10 or 20 years. We’ll still be here, fighting for smaller government, individual liberty and free markets – just as we have for the last 28 years.

We might have more to say about this, and in greater detail, at a later date. But know this: The leftist “victory” over Heartland is all in their heads.

If you’d like to make a tax-deductible donatation to The Heartland Institute, visit this site.

what goes around, comes around
Way to go Heartland…..

David Ball

Kudos to Heartland. Perhaps they can find out why Alberta’s new premier Allison Redford is meeting with the Bilderberg Group. Albertans should be nervous about this. Especially since the MSM has been mute on this meeting. Hmmmm, …

Thanks, Andi. I’ve chuckled privately at the “victory laps” Heartland haters have taken in the last few weeks. The ignorant and self-congratulatory high-fives were hilarious, but ridiculous.
This week, Joe and I decided it was time to take the private chuckles public. The joke’s on them. Hundreds attended our latest climate conference. Just 25 protesters showed up across the street from the hotel — but I could be over-counting with police, photographers and ICCC7 attendees (including me) over there. Hundreds more watched our conference live online, and nearly 10,000 people from every continent have viewed the videos at our conference video page (so far).
If you’re interested in checking out the science we presented, the link is below:

Ofcourse the “high fiving” will turn into rage as well as frustration, as their AGW “heroes” are taken down one by one and demonstrated what liars and dishonest individuals they really are. They will not win this argument even though they have tried every way possible to try and discredit everyone involved in the “questioners” corner..

Glenn

“And I’m betting Forecast the Facts won’t exist anymore in three years”
What, is Soros going to give up? FTF will likely continue their tirade as long as they continue to get paid.

gnomish

forcast the facts has a very short shelf life. no bet.
it goes into decline when the funding stops after the Rio debacle
but the country is already far into decline.
the economy is in very rapid decline for over a decade and headed down.
at a certain point, nobody will be donating to anybody because the only charity they can afford has to stay at home – as it always should- notwithstanding just how cheap talk is.
so all activist organizations are on the same path to extinction.
they aren’t an industry that contributes to the gdp, are they?
the world will not suffer for lack of them.

If you’re up for some punchy fun, head over to HuffPost and read those comments — and perhaps consider a comment of your own. Of course, such action would give Daniel Souweine more traffic than he deserves — and WAY LESS than Anthony gets on his slowest day (I expect this thread at WUWT to have more comments) — but it still might be worth it. Just for fun. Your call.
I don’t care about the mindless comments about me. It bounces right off my well-scarred back. But some of HuffPost’s lefty commenters think they know the science. They don’t, of course … so fight ignorance! That’s what WUWT does every day.

I was one of the ones who sat on the fence on the vote. I was unsure of either negative or positive repercussions, although I was sure of Heartland’s motives. I now applaud the minority who, against the grain said “Good on ya mate!”. Although I cannot count myself among those insightful enough, I do count myself among those who can say, “Ahh… Just so…”
Further, I would add this: All those of you who adopted the moral high ground (Including the logic-guru Donna Laframboise) take note: All is fair in love and war. Heartland have shown clearly that immoral fire CAN be fought with moral fire.
We are in a war. It is time to put your life(style) on the line. Defend each other, be safe, eliminate enemy attacks, move forward towards the goal and regain enemy-held territory. Global warming is, after all, one of the many wedges used to subvert and undermine our freedoms.
This vote of financial confidence in Heartland is enough to show that the little guy can stand up and be worthy of being counted.
Heartland, you go where angels fear to tread. Keep it up guys n gals.

u.k.(us)

“And I’m betting Forecast the Facts won’t exist anymore in three years. Any takers?”
==========
Does this mean they are not “too big to fail”, or has the game changed again ?

GeoLurking

Glenn says:
June 2, 2012 at 9:55 pm
“What, is Soros going to give up?
At 81, this ex Hitler Youth member is rapidly closing on the average life expectancy of 82.6 years (for a country with a per capita GDP of 48,100) Unless he has some secret sauce up his sleeve, I don’t think he is going to be a perpetual threat. His nefarious organizations will live on, but it’s only a matter of time before they too will have to pony up and pay Charon. This fate awaits us all, I would rather spend my time enjoying life rather than hating other people and society in general, but that’s what gets them off.. so be it.

@Mike Jowsey: Your kind words will be shared at the Heartland HQ.

Bill H

Heartland has RUSH LIMBAUGH IDIS…. each time they are impugned those that impugned ended up with egg on their faces… shoot, Harry Reid even got over a millions dollars in donations for the wounded soldiers fund (course Rush had some fun with the letter) the same Reid that called our troops baby killers and rapists…
Its nice to see our side (so to speak) stand up and take them to task…
We need to see more of this light shined where lies are king…b

Grey Lensman

Jim, can you put those videos on Youtube. makes it easier to put them on forums and open discussions.

J. Felton

My support goes to the Heartland Institute and its members.
Over the past couple months, I’ve seen personal and ourageous attacks being directed towards it, and yet you have always responded logically, and rationally, and armed with an array of facts. You guys have more patience then me, and I’ve been married!
Being the sceptic that I am, I have never donated to an organization before in my life. You, however, are the real deal. Congrats on being the first I donate to. It is well deserved.

David Ball

Am I a conspiracy theorist? No. Do I recognize the politicalization of science (a.k.a. the cause)? Yup.

u.k.(us)

Jim Lakely says:
June 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm
If you’re up for some punchy fun,…………
=================
Take it somewhere else.
Cheerleading and gloating, doesn’t play here.

David Ball (them)

Thank goodness. The u.k.(us) police are here to monitor Anthony’s blog for him. I think misinterpreting all the while.

@Grey Lensman
We have them queued up. Should be live next week. But the vids at climateconferences.heartland.org are share-able.
Jim

I wonder how all those people Forecast the Facts tricked into harassing people will feel when they realize they were tricked by the Gore/Hansen/Mann/Jones climate criminals?
Will they turn on the whole greenie thing?
Thanks
JK

David, UK

u.k.(us) says:
June 2, 2012 at 11:26 pm
Take it somewhere else.
Cheerleading and gloating, doesn’t play here.

And you were appointed moderator when exactly?

Mike Jowsey

u.k.(us) says:
June 2, 2012 at 11:26 pm
Jim Lakely says:
June 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm
If you’re up for some punchy fun,…………
=================
Take it somewhere else.
Cheerleading and gloating, doesn’t play here.

Plays pretty well with me mate. By the way, U.K. (US) – why don’t you post under your real name? Too scared????

@Mike Jowsey – Totally agree.
If the net effect of the billboard campaign has been to increase donors and donations, time to start another billboard campaign.
“We do have to think up new ways to get the message across, and some of them will have to fit on a billboard over a highway.”
Pointman

martinbrumby

Jim
Glad things worked out OK for Heartland (although the Unabomber poster could have been much better.)
Who cares what Unabomber thinks about anything?
But what about:-
Robert Mugabe
Fidel Castro
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Evo Morales
Hugo Chavez
Miliband+Cameron+Clegg (if you want to branch out to the UK)
Julia Gillard (ditto OZ)
and of course your very own Al Gore.
Very well documented thermageddonist statements from them all.
Several have had standing ovations at the big alarmist bunfights.
So the greenies would have difficulty in criticising posters featuring these creeps as unfair.
But I suspect that American public opinion might not entirely chime with the greenies’ views on these particular ‘heroes’!
Worth a try?

Gary Hladik

u.k.(us) says (June 2, 2012 at 11:26 pm): “Take it somewhere else.
Cheerleading and gloating, doesn’t play here.”
I liked it. Good news to me.

u.k.(us)

Wow,
sorry all, just a bad mood I guess.
Please proceed.
[Reply: Good for you! Everyone has a bad day now and then. ~dbs, mod.]

Sam Geoghegan

That’s cool and all but they’re still a bunch of neo-cons.
I’m with non-partisanship.

David Jones

Jim Lakely says:
June 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm
If you’re up for some punchy fun, head over to HuffPost and read those comments — and perhaps consider a comment of your own. Of course, such action would give Daniel Souweine more traffic than he deserves — and WAY LESS than Anthony gets on his slowest day (I expect this thread at WUWT to have more comments) — but it still might be worth it. Just for fun. Your call.
Living in UK I don’t see HuffPuff very much, which is fine by me. I put them in a similar category to the Grauniad, although not as good at it! I won’t even think of writing to or blogging at HuffPuff. Waste of space!

n.n

Their transgression was minor. However, they should resist further appeals to emotion. This tactic cannot effectively be exploited by both sides in an endogenous conflict (irrespective of the funding source). Good luck, Heartland.

Alex the skeptic

Time is the liars worst enemy. Time is what proves liars and false prophets for what they really are. Time is also the honest persons best friend and that is why organizations founded on truth survive for long, even for 2000 years. The US constitution has seen 200+ years, OTOH, Communism in the Soviet Union managed 70 years. Nazism a decade give or take a year. Socialism, another big lie, is having it’s greatest fall ever in the EU and possibly it’s brief experiment in Obama’s USA.
On the science front (or is it political?), AGW, a big scientific lie at par with alchemy is having a Humpty Dumpty sort of great fall and is breaking up into smithereens in such a way that no kings’ or presidents and their horses will be able to bring together again.
Heartland is, IMHO, is in the truth category and until it remains so it will have its raison d’etre.

Merovign

I just wanted to thank Smokey for Heartland t-shirts and Fakegate mug!
Awesome!

u.k.(us)

Mike Jowsey says:
June 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm
.”…….Too scared????”
===============
Good question.
Scared ?, yes.
Not sure if I should thank you for your concern, or to tell you to take a flying f##k..
I will assume it is the latter.

Latimer Alder

I’m afraid that, – arch sceptic though I am – I found the billboard adverts in very bad taste, and could see little moral superiority over the 10:10 video or the ‘we know where you live’ memo.
I thoroughly disliked all of them. It is a great shame that after Fakegate firmly established the mendacity of the alarmists, Heartland descended so quickly into the same gutter.
If I had ever been tempted to contribute to Heartland, I have completely beaten that tendency.

Hi Jim
Sounds like it has turned into a full blown political battle now, and the science left behind (courtesy, of Gleick, etc). ie scientists will have to choose side, or just not speak (not speaking is my concern)
This is perhaos a sign of nearing the endgame, ie stakes raised ever higher, then collapse.
Sadly, this was probably inevitable in the USA.ie with issue divided across political lines aswell, in the UK all parties believed in AGW, and now have to deal with the consequences of energy policy, thus oddly the ‘climate’ is better for sceptics.. ie Labour Graham Springer CAN be sceptical alongside Conservative Lord Lawson).. and sceptics (and sceptical scientists) and scientists cand and do have civil chats.. whilst the political falls apart..
ie gas power stations just defined as green (otherwise the lights might go out) and even new coal plants might get built, with a token gesture towards, some sort of CCS.
And of course when the Eurozone collapses in finacial chaos (Spain is on the edge, contagion next) all thoughts of emissions will be forgotten
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9307106/Spain-is-in-total-emergency-the-EU-in-total-denial.html .

Mike Jowsey says: June 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm
Pretty well seconded here, Mike.
Jim Lakely, I wonder if you would consider doing an article on the conference and the presentations? I added Ilarionov’s 2010 presentation to my page on UHI, and regard his work as really important in helping to flag up the still-under-compensated UHI factors – which then allow the “homogenized” data to still be used though I regard this fundamental of Climate Science as still suspect. It was only by chance I found Ilarionov.

Fakegate certainly was an inspiration to us in Scotland to get something going.

Where do we get the fakegate mug?

neill

Latimer Alder says:
June 3, 2012 at 1:24 am
Latimer, I as well thought the billboard counter-productive PR. Heartland has a better handle on whether it actually was. As to descending into the alarmists’ gutter, let’s distinguish between a factually accurate billboard on the one hand and criminal activity on the other.

u.k.(us) says:
June 3, 2012 at 12:57 am
Scared ?, yes.

=======================
That’s cool. I think we are all a little scared of the future. It’s healthy.

neill

“Jim Lakely, I wonder if you would consider doing an article on the conference and the presentations?”
Great idea, Lucy! I saw and found the Sebastian Luning presentation (about an hour) to be a tour de force. However, I’d love to get more of a sense for the content and spirit of the conference as a whole — without having to invest the time and energy to actually view it all. Maybe with a better sense for it, WUWTers will have a better idea which specific presentations to view.

Myrrh

Latimer Alder says:
June 3, 2012 at 1:24 am
==============
I thought it a very neat way of holding up a mirror to the alarmist propaganda tactics.
I began watching a Monckton talk on tv last night, but gave up when the satellite feed kept breaking up. Of what I did hear one point particularly lends itself to a billboard campaign – the “science consensus” is one scientist the IPCC drafted in to change the real consensus of the scientists putting together that report. Santer the puppet took out the real scientist consensus conclusions and the some 200 mentions of in the body of the report supporting the conclusions, and hey presto, Anthropogenic Global Warming was born. The Science Consensus is a Consensus of One Scientist and His Fraud.
Without that change there would have been no need for the IPCC to continue to exist..
Here, just found this: http://larouchepac.com/node/12823
LAROUCHEPAC:
Green Fascism..IPCC’s Santer Admits Fraud
December 18, 2009 • 9:16AM
Ben Santer, a climate researcher and lead IPCC author of Chapter 8 of the 1995 IPCC Working Group I Report, admitted last night on Jesse Ventura’s Conspiracy Theory national TV show, that he had deleted sections of the IPCC chapter which stated that humans were not responsible for climate change. Accusing Santer of altering opinions in the IPCC report that disagreed with the man-made thesis behind climate change, Lord Monckton told the program, “In comes Santer and re-writes it for them, after the scientists have sent in their finalized draft, and that finalized draft said at five different places, there is no discernable human effect on global temperature — I’ve seen a copy of this — Santer went through, crossed out all of those, and substituted a new conclusion, and this has been the official conclusion ever since.”
He’s admitted it.

Mike Jowsey

@ Pointman -totally agree with your linked article.

Latimer Alder

Neil says

H’mmm …not sure that I want to get into a debate about moral relativism. I found all of it – on both sides – distasteful and unpleasant. You do not win a war of ideas by chasing your opponent down the slippery slope. You let him destroy himself by showing his true colours not by gratuitously giving him powerful ammunition to fight back with.

A plague on both their houses

as Shakespeare very nearly said.

John Whitman

Jim Lakely,
Based on what I saw this May in Chicago at my first attendance at a HI sponsored ICCC (#7), you have increased my confidence in HI from medium to high.
Although I supported HI’s billboard experience right from the very first WUWT post about it, I think you need to expand much more on the discussion of the philosophical roots of irrationalism in ‘scientific’ alarmism.  At your next ICCC conference I suggest several panels in the area of irrationalism vs. reason in the philosophy of science.  I volunteer to support you in doing so.
John

James

“At 81, this ex Hitler Youth member is rapidly closing on the average life expectancy of 82.6 years”
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but live expectancy conditional on being alive and healthy (?) at age 81 is much higher than 1.6 years. I would guess it is more like 10.
James

Luther Wu

Myrrh says:
June 3, 2012 at 4:22 am
“…”
__________________
They may have printed the truth of Santer’s actions, but as far as I’m concerned, anything connected with l***pac is highly suspect and it is a travesty that you brought that name into these pages.

ShrNfr

Never gave to them before. But since I know that they funded some of your work and that they are under attack by the looney tunes set, They got something from me. The clincher is that Barrie Harrop thinks they are a “hornet’s nest”. If Barrie is for it, I am against it in general.

pyromancer76

I agree with Mike Jowsey as well, to a point (6/2/12 10:23 pm). We are in a kind of warfare about “the truth” and “the scientific method”. However, the billboard was not smart; it used a certifiably psychotic (sociopath) as its headliner. Better to use officials in positions of power who are using “cooked data” and “lying language” as the examples (hidden sociopaths), one billnostf every week or two weeks. Billboard those who want to eliminate human beings and end opportunity, prosperity, and the developed world. This would be taking the moral high ground and counterpundching twice as hard. I could even see a fund set up so that the billboards could be smart, punchy, scientifically exact, and numerous. Headliners for what Heartland stands for. Thanks for the conference, the live streaming,and all the efforts. If anyone has time to write a summary, that would be very much appreciated.

neill
Go_Home

neil,
Thanks for the link. It is a good summary of current climate status and what went on at the HI conference.