The Guardian: Climate Denial is an Extreme Form of Avocado Buyer’s Guilt

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

According to The Guardian, people who reject the idea we are in the midst of a climate emergency may be suffering an extreme form of the kind of climate anxiety Guardian readers experience, when wrestling with their conscience over whether to purchase an avocado.

‘Hijacked by anxiety’: how climate dread is hindering climate action

A growing school of psychologists believe the trauma of the climate crisis is a key barrier to change

Jillian Ambrose
Energy correspondentThu 8 Oct 2020 17.00 AEDT

You’re browsing in a supermarket and fretting mildly about the air miles of some green beans. Or you’re daydreaming of that island holiday you deserve once the pandemic has died down but worrying about whether you should be flying.

Maybe nothing you do will matter anyway.

They call it climate anxiety – a sense of dread, gloom and almost paralysing helplessness that is rising as we come to terms with the greatest existential challenge of our generation, or any generation.

“As that trauma is coming to the surface today we see this as anxiety,” she says.

In its most extreme form this inability to engage presents itself as a complete denial of the climate crisis and climate science. But even among those who accept the dire predictions for the natural world, there are “micro-denials” that can block the ability to take action.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/08/anxiety-climate-crisis-trauma-paralysing-effect-psychologists

Who would have guessed that our repressed feelings of extreme guilt for enjoying the occasional chicken avocado salad are what drive us to reject the climate emergency?

The only question, should we seek a resolution to our repressed anxiety by cutting back on Avocado consumption, in the hope that the intensity of our climate guilt recedes sufficiently that we become consciously aware of it?

Or would it be better to provoke a crisis of conscience which forces us to acknowledge our personal climate anxiety, by eating more Avocados?

5 1 vote
Joe Wagner
October 9, 2020 10:05 am

No offense Guardian- the only questions I ask myself when I want to buy an avocado are: 1) is it too expensive, and 2) is it ripe enough? I hate waiting for them to get ripe to eat it.

Reply to  Joe Wagner
October 9, 2020 11:05 am

Expense is relative to current circumstances, and it’s fairly easy to tell whether they are ripe (I usually find the opposite problem at my store). My questions are: Guacamole? Or chicken tortilla soup?

(People who eat them in sandwiches are just WRONG. But, unlike a Guardian writer, I have a libertarian type of philosophy, so will let it pass…)

Bryan A
Reply to  Writing Observer
October 9, 2020 12:54 pm

The avocado analogy is highly apropos when describing Climate Change Crazies.
The Avocado is
GREEN
Has a HUGE PIT at it’s core
And once exposed to the light of day and a little O2 it promptly turns brown-shirt brown

Windy Wilson
Reply to  Bryan A
October 9, 2020 1:29 pm

A huge INEDIBLE pit at its core. If you eat that, you will regret it, as “This, too, will pass” won’t apply to the pit. You will meet a gastroenterologist you never knew existed before, and probably a psychologist who will want to know why you decided to swallow the pit in the first place.

Reply to  Windy Wilson
October 9, 2020 2:22 pm

The ones that I get, I would choke on first. (My death certificate would undoubtedly read “Respiratory failure – presumed CoViD-19.”)

Pat from kerbob
Reply to  Writing Observer
October 9, 2020 2:40 pm

Wrong
BAT sandwiches on sour dough are the bomb

Bacon avocado tomato

We embrace alternate views on this website

Teewee
Reply to  Pat from kerbob
October 9, 2020 5:52 pm

Wow! That sounds wonderful. Never thought of doing that but I’ll have to try it. Thanks for the post.

Pat from kerbob
Reply to  Teewee
October 9, 2020 7:54 pm

Crisp thick bacon
And some fresh spinach

Bryan A
Reply to  Teewee
October 9, 2020 9:15 pm

Bacon Lettuce Tomato BLT
Bacon Lettuce Avocado Tomato BLAT
Bacon Lettuce Avocado Spinach Tomato BLAST

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Pat from kerbob
October 9, 2020 9:22 pm

That sounds awesome. Except for the avocado

And the tomato…

BACON!!!

Craig from Oz
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
October 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Sounds like you need to try is a BOBOBO

Bacon Over Bacon On Bacon Open sandwich.

Just don’t eat the bread – too many carbs.

Michael
Reply to  Pat from kerbob
October 10, 2020 5:53 am

Arugula w sunny side up egg topped with avocado slices salt and fresh lime juice squeezed on top. Not exactly a sandwich but delish none the less

oeman50
Reply to  Pat from kerbob
October 10, 2020 8:46 am

ACE: Avocado, cheese and egg. Add some spouts and you have a taste delight.

Robert W. Turner
Reply to  Writing Observer
October 9, 2020 3:27 pm

I just ate one in a pork burrito, did I do wrong?

Bryan A
Reply to  Robert W. Turner
October 9, 2020 9:16 pm

Guac it if you dare

Sara
Reply to  Joe Wagner
October 9, 2020 12:12 pm

AVocados give me gas. Therefore, if I buy them and eat them, I will be contributing greenhouse gases to the climate change shebang and will become Miss/Ms/Msr/Mlle Greengoo, when – really – I would rather be stepped on by a warthog.

No offense meant to warthogs. They make excellent porkchops.

MarkW
Reply to  Sara
October 9, 2020 2:04 pm

“They make excellent porkchops.”

Wouldn’t that be pretty close to cannibalism?

Bryan A
Reply to  MarkW
October 9, 2020 2:16 pm

Wouldn’t the opposite be Climate Cabalism?

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  MarkW
October 9, 2020 9:23 pm

Are you saying Sara is a warthog??

Reply to  Sara
October 9, 2020 3:30 pm

Sara
I’m opening a new business where customers can eat lunch while their gas tank is filled up by my staff, and their credit cards are charged when they finish eating. I’m developing a brand name and need some help. Right now I’m thinking of ordering a big sign that says:
“Eat & Get Gas”.

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 6:27 pm

… reminds me of one of my inventions for snow skiers who don’t want to take time out to go back to the ski lodge when “nature calls:” The Ski-In & Out-house.

Sara
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 10, 2020 4:39 pm

I like that!!! Laughed so hard I spooked the cat out of a perfectly good nap. 🙂

Kudos!

Reply to  Sara
October 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Sara:
While laughs are needed these days, my prior comment was intended to be serious.

Glad to hear ypu hAve a pussy cat. My cat Mr. Sneaky, gets his exercise by moving from one sleeping spot to another. Sort of like me. For extra income, we are developing a Mr. Sneaky Slept Here Tour of our home. Of course we’ll have to tidy up first, before we start the 10 dollar tours, which may take a few year. The tour will feature Mr. Sneaky”s 150 pounds of clay litter poop box, one of the biggest indoor private home cat poop boxes in America. Which I hope will be featured in an upcoming edition of Architectural Digest. This comment is serious too.

Reply to  Joe Wagner
October 9, 2020 8:26 pm

They want to pretend that we are so drastically affected by climate change that we are into displacement behavior, like a pigeon finding itself about to become cat food stopping to preen, or college students cleaning their rooms instead of studying for final exams. In these cases, displacement behavior is temporary, short-lived, but these climate alarmists are trying to say that the undetectable climate change is effecting people to critical levels.

The problem is that here is not one shred of defensible scientific evidence for manmade global warming. Put aside the fact that we have not warmed significantly since 1988, as we are not causing climate change, we have to deal with natural climate change by adapting, which is what we are best at doing.

It is diagnostic to the warmists’ problem of pushing a scam that they completely ignore that Sol is going night-night for the next 30 to 120 years, which is how long it might be before we get back UP TO the temperature we have at present.

RockyRoad
Reply to  Charles Higley
October 10, 2020 2:54 am

I just think of the gargantuan estimation variance their models generate and wonder how such seemingly smart people can fool themselves into believing almost anything.

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Joe Wagner
October 9, 2020 9:19 pm

The question I as myself, is: Where is the evidence for a climate crisis?

RockyRoad
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
October 10, 2020 3:06 am

The most likely response you’ll get is them calling you a white supremacist!

So happens that I googled the characteristics of white supremacy a few days ago and from a workshop manual used way back in 2001 to counter the “problem”, found that I easily qualify as a white supremacist!

And I would suggest most of us qualify, too, regardless of skin color.

Now we’ll see if this comment gets past moderation!…it’s such a misunderstood, mis-applied hot-button issue right now.

ROBERT PRUDHOMME
October 9, 2020 10:16 am

Every 10 yrs starting in 1980 the world was supposed to come to an end due to global warming. Every 10yrs you have to reset the tme.

Reply to  ROBERT PRUDHOMME
October 9, 2020 10:42 am

Prudhoe
The world is coming to an end in 12 years, not 10 years — how dare you mislead people!

Bryan A
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 2:17 pm

It did come to an end…did you miss it??

Editor
Reply to  Bryan A
October 10, 2020 5:25 am

Not just Earth. The whole universe has come to an end several times.

“There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
– Douglas Adams

Bryan A
Reply to  Mike Jonas
October 10, 2020 8:36 am

Likely with the first use of the Improbability Drive

GregG
Reply to  Mike Jonas
October 10, 2020 11:37 am

Mike Jonas and Bryan A:
Yes, you nailed it. The improbability drive was Michael Mann’s hard drive, first used to store his hockey stick calculations…and the Universe was immediately replaced by another one more bizarre and seemingly inexplicable.

Reply to  ROBERT PRUDHOMME
October 9, 2020 10:49 am

Prudhoe
In my prior comment about your comment I pointed out the world was going to end in 12 years, not 10 years. But this year is almost over so 11 years would be more accurate. We should be thankful that the brilliant climate perfesser AlexandrIa Occasionally Coherent keeps us informed. Her mentor, AL “the climate blimp” Gore, is too busy spending his money to spend much time being a climate perfesser. And that was AFTER Al invented the internet.

Monna Manhas
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 11:18 am

AOC’s claim that we only had 12 years left was made about a year and a half ago, so we’re almost at 10 years. 😀

Ian Hawthorn
Reply to  Monna Manhas
October 9, 2020 1:16 pm

AOC – the expert.

DHR
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 11:29 am

Richard Greene,

Please be advised that the climate “perfesser” you cite first made her 12 year prediction in late 2018, so now, in late 2020, its 10 years left so Robert Prudhomme is fully correct. I am retired and planning on spending my last dime in late 2030. If it is to be 2031, I will need to make an adjustment. Fortunately, as we all know, climate science is a precise discipline so accuracy is built in and I am confident that no adjustment will be needed.

Reply to  DHR
October 9, 2020 2:24 pm

Doomsday resets every New Years Day. So it’s still twelve years away. Unless we dump a few trillion dollars NOW into the Green Machine.

Clarky of Oz
Reply to  DHR
October 9, 2020 3:03 pm

Ah, what date precisely? Morning or afternoon? I don’t want to miss the big event

Robert W. Turner
Reply to  DHR
October 9, 2020 3:33 pm

The world will end at the same time energy production from fusion arrives – 10 years from last year, this year, and the next.

Reply to  DHR
October 9, 2020 3:39 pm

DHR
Unfortunately, I had done my own calculations in 2008, and expected the world to end in 2020. I thought my calculations, done with a sturdy aluminum slide rule (I dont trust confusers) were accurate to three decimal places. Unfortunately, my math may have been slightly off, and I have already spent my last dime. I now spend my retirement selling pencils and condoms on a busy street corner in Detroit. Business is booming.

fred250
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 10, 2020 1:06 am

“and condoms “

Recycled ?

Mad Mac
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 11:30 am

I think AOCs last name is actually Occluded Cortex since nothing sensible gets trhough!

Bryan A
Reply to  Mad Mac
October 9, 2020 12:57 pm

Actually
Occluded
Cortex
You may be right

Bryan A
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 2:19 pm

It ended in 2012 with O’Bummer’s 2nd term and the USA became an ObamaNation

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 9, 2020 9:25 pm

“brilliant climate perfesser AlexandrIa Occasionally Coherent”

She’s never coherent.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Richard Greene
October 10, 2020 7:17 am

“AlexandrIa Occasionally Coherent”

When? I must have missed it. AOC being coherent, that is.

Peter W
Reply to  ROBERT PRUDHOMME
October 9, 2020 3:51 pm

On January 5, 1978, Page 17, the New York Times reported we had 30 years of global cooling with no end in sight. The obvious reality is that we all froze to death several decades ago.

Kevin McNeill
October 9, 2020 10:20 am

I don’t even look at Avocados never mind buy them, where does that put me on the “denier” scale?

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  Kevin McNeill
October 9, 2020 9:28 pm

Whatever scale it is, there’s two of us there.

sunderlandsteve
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
October 10, 2020 5:14 am

Make that three.

Just Jenn
Reply to  Jeff Alberts
October 10, 2020 5:53 am

Three, I hate avacados. Period. Can’t stand them.

Michael
Reply to  Kevin McNeill
October 10, 2020 6:13 am

To the left of someone who doesn’t buy green bananas

Ian Magness
October 9, 2020 10:32 am

I have SO tortured myself about the guilt of being a denier for years. Now, however, I feel liberated by this Nobel Prize standard research because I hate avocados and thus don’t have to buy them.
Um, there’s logic in there somewhere.

October 9, 2020 10:44 am

Avocados…I love’ em. Global warming? Like “Waiting for Godot”.

Mayor of Venus
Reply to  JimB
October 9, 2020 11:17 am

First the imported avocados. Next the bananas. But then the really big items the Brits cannot do without….tea and coffee! The solution? Bring back the Clipper sailing ships to import tropical foodstuff to Britain; those ships didn’t burn fossil fuels.

Windy Wilson
Reply to  Mayor of Venus
October 9, 2020 1:18 pm

That’s right! The oil they used was whale oil for the running lights.
If we have to go petrochemical free I want Al Gore to be the first rendered for whale oil.

Reply to  Mayor of Venus
October 9, 2020 1:34 pm

You didn’t know ?
They are sailing again 😀

Mayor of Venus
Reply to  Krishna Gans
October 9, 2020 2:51 pm

Fantastic! So the alternative greenhouse-gas free would be nuclear powered cargo ships. Which would be more cost effective, sails or nuclear power?

Dodgy Geezer
Reply to  Mayor of Venus
October 9, 2020 2:58 pm

Sails are great right up to the point where you need to manoeuvre a big ship into a port….

fred250
Reply to  Mayor of Venus
October 10, 2020 1:08 am

“Sails are great right up to the point………”

…. when you have no wind !

Reply to  Mayor of Venus
October 9, 2020 1:38 pm
fred250
Reply to  JimB
October 9, 2020 1:00 pm

Avocados like warming. !

Try growing them in Siberia !

Gary Pearse
Reply to  JimB
October 9, 2020 2:42 pm

Jim- I like it! Godot Warming – though the Climate Wroughters and their useful fools wouldnt understand it, which I also like.

Bryan A
Reply to  JimB
October 9, 2020 9:21 pm

Gadot? I’d wait for that Gal for as long as I had to

TRM
October 9, 2020 10:50 am

ROTFLMAO. You just can’t make this up.
“Avocado Buyer’s Guilt” ??? WTF? I feel so guilty I think I’ll have another.

1 avocado, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 cloves garlic (crushed), mash together and spread on toast. I feel so guilty.

Reply to  TRM
October 9, 2020 2:08 pm

Add some drops of lemon juice, delicious ! And the avocado may not change the color.

TRM
Reply to  Krishna Gans
October 9, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks. I knew I forgot something 🙂

lee
Reply to  TRM
October 9, 2020 10:02 pm

“when wrestling with their conscience over whether to purchase an avocado”

I quite agree that is about as much stress as it should provoke.

For me not any.

Mayor of Venus
Reply to  TRM
October 9, 2020 11:30 pm

I get some avocados guilt-free. My neighbor has an excellent tree, and it has grown large enough that a few branches hang over my side of our fence. The avocados can be picked green for a half year, and ripen indoors. No greenhouse gases generated for transportation, and the tree actually CONSUMES carbon dioxide to grow the avocados (would you believe it??).

October 9, 2020 10:55 am

Avocado anxiety as a consequence of the green blob sounds racist. Doesn’t all green goo matter?

Reply to  co2isnotevil
October 9, 2020 12:16 pm

OMG what is I am missing about avocados? You seem to know why they cause “suffering from mild eco-anxiety,?” What am I missing????

Reply to  Shelly
October 9, 2020 12:46 pm

Holy, Guacamole!!
This is how religions and sins operate on guilt human psyche.
The claimed Climate emergency is simply a superstition being peddled and promoted to the gullible masses. Most people figure out it’s nonsense, but that still leaves enough who are seriously impaired, like Eric Holthaus. Basically they live their lives in fear and soiling themselves over a superstition.

Dodgy Geezer
October 9, 2020 10:55 am

Interestingly I noted a lefty comment on the web concerning the UK Covid response. She said that she:

“…was in a state. Half the time I’m attacking people for not wearing masks and standing too close – the other half of the time I’m attacking the government for pushing useless and pointless laws about the disease….”

I had thought this was the dawn of wisdom – that she would see that she was in a logically confused state. Now I’m beginning to think that she was just suppressing the obvious conflict that anyone experiences if they religiously follow what they are told to do by someone who neither knows what they are doing nor worries about making their commands logically consistent…

Pop Piasa
Reply to  Dodgy Geezer
October 9, 2020 11:28 am

I keep thinking back to mid-20th century adolescence and the notion that some other kid had “cooties”. It’s amazing how powerful the propaganda is these days.

Ellen
Reply to  Pop Piasa
October 9, 2020 3:36 pm

The word “cooties” is a superb way of expressing the concept of ritual contamination. Even a five year old can get it.

n.n
Reply to  Dodgy Geezer
October 9, 2020 3:52 pm

Pro-Choice religion, delivered by mortal gods and goddesses, spread by its acolytes, faithful, and undecideds, based on selective, opportunistic, relativistic, politically congruent (“=”) principles… undeniable, irreconcilable, an ethical choice.

Jeff Alberts
Reply to  n.n
October 9, 2020 9:32 pm

All religion is delivered by mortals.

ozspeaksup
Reply to  Dodgy Geezer
October 10, 2020 4:42 am

sounds like Victoria in Aus right now;-)

Craig from Oz
Reply to  Dodgy Geezer
October 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Oh the sweet logic of Covid restriction rules.

Here in South Oz you are not allowed to stand at a bar and drink, but can sit at a bar and drink. Apparently the change in altitude makes all the difference. Stand and you are high enough to infect the entire room. Sit and the slightly denser air pressure keeps you safe. Unless you are in a public food court, where sitting to consume meals is a no no. Takeaway meals and eating standing up? Yeah… that’s okay.

Also bemusing is our states current restriction of 2 square metres of floor space min per person in an area. This rule is also meant to be used in parallel with the 1.5m gap rule.

Now if you understand how maths works you would already know that a square with 2 square metre area has 1.414m sides and hence may be wondering if the 1.414m rule clashes with the 1.5m rule.

Well… No, but only because the 1.5m rule is actually worse than you think.

In all official publications the 1.5m is clearly shown NOT to be the distance between two people, but the CLEARANCE. Distance would be centreline to centreline, like bolt holes in a fabricated part. The clearance in our context is the air gap between shoulder to shoulder, so the actual distance is this gap plus a shoulder width.

(draw a sketch – it makes sense)

So if we take worse case and a 95 percental male the distance between two people under the official guildlines is actually a smidge over 2m. This means that if you fill your room with people as per the 2 square metre rule (which is the dominant rule in my state’s guildlines) then you are forced to ignore the 1.5m instruction by roughly 600mm per person.

So well done all involved. Guildlines and restrictions that cannot actually be complied with. Well done.

Gregory Woods
October 9, 2020 11:08 am

“forces us to acknowledge our personal climate anxiety, by eating more Avocados?”

Yes, to alleviate my anxieties I eat 3 avocados a day….

Pop Piasa
October 9, 2020 11:18 am

This strikes me as an example of how circular thinking, whenever it tries to carry some weight, becomes noticeably eccentric.

October 9, 2020 11:18 am

I alleviate my personal climate anxiety by burning tires.

RockyRoad
Reply to  Jean Parisot
October 10, 2020 3:16 am

RockyRoad
Reply to  Jean Parisot
October 10, 2020 3:19 am

I alleviate mine by putting off lawn mowing. It saves gas and sequesters more carbon… temporarily at least.

Citizen Smith
October 9, 2020 11:21 am

We buy our avocados at Costco. $8 for a bag of 5. I don’t feel one way or the other about it.

I might be a denier.

Ben Vorlich
October 9, 2020 11:22 am

I don’t eat Avocado but I’m now anxious about my morning Grapefruit.

Pop Piasa
Reply to  Ben Vorlich
October 9, 2020 11:53 am

What ruined my morning Grapefruit was when my doctor put me on Statins.
He’s frying my liver so I won’t die from heart ailments.
Today’s sound science. 🤔

Windy Wilson
Reply to  Pop Piasa
October 9, 2020 1:26 pm

Frying your liver! You poor man!
Have you given up your evening post-prandial snifter of brandy? I tell you truly, a nightcap is what keeps my cholesterol down. The brandy keeps the blood slippery, and a daily avocado keeps the inflammation of my arterial walls down. But only one or two servings of alcohol. The third is so bad for you, you might as well be a teetotaler and run their risk of heart disease.

Robert W. Turner
Reply to  Pop Piasa
October 9, 2020 3:39 pm

You may want to look into the ketogenic diet and rethink the pharmaceuticals.
Turns out 50 year old science originating from a single government scientist and propagated by the USDA is not sound science.

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  Robert W. Turner
October 9, 2020 7:56 pm

To add an extra 10 years to your life, just go on a one-week, only-water fast every 3 months for the rest of your life. (It will actually feel like an extra 20 years!)

lee
Reply to  Pop Piasa
October 10, 2020 12:05 am

statins and grapefruit –
“According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)Trusted Source, grapefruit can affect the rate that your liver processes drugs. This is dangerous.

A slower breakdown of a drug means you’ll have more of that drug in your bloodstream. More of the drug in your bloodstream can cause certain side effects and affect how well the drug works.”

I like my grapefruit. I take my statins at night. 12 hours should do it. 😉

No complaints from my doctor re liver function tests etc.

Phillip Bratby
October 9, 2020 11:26 am

Jillian Ambrose is not known as Silly Jilly for nothing.

philincalifornia
Reply to  Phillip Bratby
October 9, 2020 12:50 pm

She’s probably going to be laughing her t!ts off all weekend knowing that some people believe it, and quite possibly have even paid money to read it.

….. speaking of loydo, where did she go ??

philincalifornia
October 9, 2020 11:34 am

Guacamole for lunch then. I’ll skip the toast, too many carbs.

A bit off-topic, but this flat earthist, science non-believer’s mate just won a real Nobel Prize this week, and I was a co-author on the seminal paper that got him there.

Tom in Florida
Reply to  philincalifornia
October 9, 2020 1:33 pm

1/2 an avocado has about the same carbs as 1 medium slice of white bread.

Reply to  Tom in Florida
October 9, 2020 2:20 pm

However, per glycemic index, much better than white bread.

Also per index. Gin is so low, it’s practically a health food. 🙂

TRM
Reply to  philincalifornia
October 9, 2020 7:02 pm

Congrats. Do tell us more.

Yooper
Reply to  TRM
October 10, 2020 7:11 am

Add tonic to the gin to reduce your chances of getting COVID….

Tom Abbott
Reply to  TRM
October 10, 2020 7:30 am

Yes. Don’t leave us hanging. 🙂

Mr.
October 9, 2020 11:36 am

As a humanitarian gesture, I’ve considered starting a gofundme account to support the cost of providing Guardian ‘journalists’ with a 6-month sabbatical to enable them to investigate and accept what goes on in the real world, and sever the umbilical with academia that feeds the constant diet of abject tosh that they publish as Guardian articles.

(I still can dream, can’t I – the UN hasn’t made dreaming a crime against humanity yet?)

Mike Dubrasich
Reply to  Mr.
October 9, 2020 4:13 pm

Just like most of our domesticated food plants, the avocado is tropical in origin (south central Mexico) and grows best in tropical climates: CA, FL, Mexico, C.A. and S.A.). Avocados like it hot. The warmer the better.

The poor sots at the Grunion live in a cold, dank, miserable climate and must import their avocados as well as most other fruits and vegetables, without which they would die of scurvy, a very English disease. Yellowing of the skin, bleeding gums, tooth loss, myalgia, extreme fatigue, debility, anemia, neuropathy, mood swings, and anxiety are common symptoms — common in the deep crevices of the Grunion, that is.

If Grunionistas would get out into the sun, possibly in Spain or Peru, and eat some tropical food like avocados, they would feel a lot better. They might even develop a fondness for warmth and stop being warm-haters. Really, the rest of us don’t want to live in cold, dank, moldy, root cellar climates like they do.

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  Mike Dubrasich
October 9, 2020 7:59 pm

… you mean the “Groinion.”

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Mr.
October 10, 2020 7:35 am

“the UN hasn’t made dreaming a crime against humanity yet?”

You are safe as long as your dreams remain in your head and you don’t talk about them in public.

Andy5759
Reply to  Mr.
October 11, 2020 2:56 am

They will not criminalise dreams, instead they will find a way to ensure that you only have the right kind of dreams.

DMacKenzie
October 9, 2020 11:37 am

Yes, when authorities advise the population take measures against some “threat”, but the evidence of the “threat” is questionable or scanty, many members of the public will experience angst. Which is “psychological trauma” to the weak minded. Witchcraft in the middle ages, prohibition, Y2K, the list just goes on and on…..with CC being a media max-meme because there is always bad weather somewhere, that is evidence of the “threat”. Presently displaced in the headlines by “the-cold-that-kills-0.6%-of-the-infected“.

Reply to  DMacKenzie
October 9, 2020 1:38 pm

Of course we are in the midst of a climate emergency. We always have been, and we always will be.

Harry Passfield
October 9, 2020 11:37 am

I once built an Avocado suite into my bathroom (you have to be a Brit) and it took me a complete climate cycle to deny it and change it to standard white. What a relief.

Dodgy Geezer
Reply to  Harry Passfield
October 9, 2020 3:00 pm

Racist?

Nick Graves
October 9, 2020 11:40 am

I recognise all the words in that article, but I have NFI what she’s on about.

Clarky of Oz
Reply to  Nick Graves
October 9, 2020 3:31 pm

It’s the way they are put together that gives meaning. Perhaps is someone could rearrange them it might make sense.

jorgekafkazar
October 9, 2020 11:42 am

Since we’re on the subject, avocado is from aguacate, Spanish, which is derived from the native āhuacatl>, a Nahuatl word which also meant testicle, for obvious reasons. Enjoy!

philincalifornia
Reply to  jorgekafkazar
October 9, 2020 12:35 pm

OK then, a scrotum of avocados for my guacamole.

Reply to  jorgekafkazar
October 9, 2020 12:41 pm

Man, I love the green testicles. Whole or crushed what a rush.

Mumbles McGuirck
Reply to  jorgekafkazar
October 9, 2020 1:24 pm

So what did the Aztecs call “mountain oysters”?

Reply to  Mumbles McGuirck
October 9, 2020 2:23 pm

Maybe they’re white avocados…

Latitude
Reply to  Mumbles McGuirck
October 9, 2020 2:36 pm

…slow bulls

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  Latitude
October 9, 2020 8:03 pm

Where is/was the 29th Rocky Mountain Oyster Festival held?

Yooper
Reply to  noaaprogrammer
October 10, 2020 7:22 am

I think they serve them at the Calgary Stampede.

ThinkingScientist
October 9, 2020 11:44 am

Nope. I am firmly attached to reality and have no such anxiety.

Don’t understand how people can be so naïve and gullible to believe all the climate and covid catastrophe propaganda. Get a life.

Doc Chuck
Reply to  ThinkingScientist
October 9, 2020 12:49 pm

TS, You are approaching this too logically and swallowing a display of mock sincerity. This ‘guacamole guilt’ is comfortably substituted for other subconsciously suppressed realizations of conduct they should properly be guilty over. It’s the old magician’s misdirection trick played on oneself for momentary relief. To put it another way, they so wish that something as innocent as acquiring avocados was their worst vice that they first convince themselves that is the case and then try to sell that same silly notion more broadly for socially echoed affirmation. Does that help clarify what is understandably otherwise puzzling?

ResourceGuy
October 9, 2020 11:45 am

Okay I get it, the Guardian is about as serious on these planetary scale issues as a teenager with attention deficit disorder.

Ken Davis
October 9, 2020 11:48 am

Those psychologists need to see a psychologist – and not the type who advise the Guardian

Dale S
October 9, 2020 11:49 am

“The greatest existential challenge of our generation, or any generation.” Talk about denial of “climate science”. Even the ludicrous RCP 8.5 doesn’t produce catastrophic impacts, let alone existential.

Rhoda R
Reply to  Dale S
October 9, 2020 4:50 pm

I find it difficult to comprehend anyone who would think that a 2-3 degree increase in global temp is a worse existential threat than, say, Nazi Buzz Bombs and the like.

Robert of Texas
October 9, 2020 12:16 pm

I have no guilt about the climate. It would be like having guilt about the Sun rising.

I have studied the facts of CO2 driven climate change and reject it’s extreme predictions. No amount of social pressure or propaganda is going to change my mind. Only hard facts will change my mind. Note to climate activists: Computer models do not produce FACTS – when written with an preselected “right” answer in mind they produce propaganda.

There are very few hard facts about CO2 driven climate change. Most available data is not suitable to answering the questions, has been manipulated by biased researchers, and is “proxy” based instead of actual measurements. Proxies have a bad habit of being far more complex and subtle then the scientists using them want to admit.

I don’t eat avocados, nor do I ever Fly if given a choice. So your examples don’t work on me either. I likely have a smaller “Carbon Footprint” than most activists out there, but not for their reasons.

A gentle warming of Earth is a good thing. Hot places may get additional rain but will rise very little in temperature, while cold places become more moderate and receive the most warming. Sea levels are rising, and have been since good measurements became available. Modern mankind has the amazing ability to adapt to slow change so slowly rising sea levels is of no concern.

Psychologists – A laughable group of people most of whom do not understand science, do not understand bias, and make up hypothesis-tripe to rationalize their view of the world and try to overlay it on others. Except for those few conducting real scientific endeavors, psychology should be moved to be under Fine Arts, along with the Writing of Poetry and Fiction.

fred250
Reply to  Robert of Texas
October 9, 2020 12:56 pm

“psychology should be moved to be under Fine Arts, along with the Writing of Poetry and Fiction.”

More like knitting macrame underwear !

Loopy as fruit loops and twisted as a pretzel.

Reply to  Robert of Texas
October 9, 2020 2:02 pm

Old Aztecs actually had a guilt about the Sun rising. They discovered that a daily human sacrifice was necessary to make ti rise the next day. Isn’t it beautiful how we integrate old superstitions into the modern world?

n.n
Reply to  Curious George
October 9, 2020 4:00 pm

A wicked solution for social progress. Ancient Aztecs. last century’s Socialists, modern communists, too Now, liberals and humpty dumptys. Human sacrificial rites are forward-looking. Deja vu.

Barbara
Reply to  n.n
October 10, 2020 8:09 am

“Deja vu”

More like deja phooey.

drednicolson
Reply to  Curious George
October 10, 2020 12:51 am

Doubled as an effective way to keep subjugated tribes from revolting, by depleting them of most of their fighting-age men.

Ed Zuiderwijk
October 9, 2020 12:26 pm

Few things beat a prawn-filled avocado with a creamy whisky sauce.

Tom in Florida
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
October 9, 2020 1:36 pm

I can do without the prawn filled avocado and the creamy part of the sauce.

Gary Pearse
Reply to  Ed Zuiderwijk
October 9, 2020 3:50 pm

I was once a guest for dinner in Cotonou, Benin in West Africa. Before the invite, I was asked if I liked wild game. Visualizing an antelope or some such, I said yes I do. The game turned out to be a sloth with its hair burned off and then roasted in an oven. I was presented with the prime cut – the head, which was simply eyeballs, brains and tongue served with its mouth wide open, a tray of avocado halves stuffed with shrimp, mayonnaise and shallots and a baguette (it is a former French Colony). Well, I got through it all liberally lubricated with the avocados and about half a baguette. The avocado made the challenge doable.

“…a sense of dread, gloom and almost paralysing helplessness that is rising as we come to terms with the greatest existential challenge of our generation, or any generation…”

S’Truth! This is an unwitting cry for help from the writer and colleagues. The tone suggests the useful idjits know nothing is going to be done. And also clear, is that there are no fit psychologists to come to their assistance.

Re avocado, I can also see this is an exotic item in the UK. In North America we are buried in them by Mexicans and Californians. Every pub and bar serves, natchos, tacos, burritos and fajitas with globs of guacamole, salsa and hot sauce on the side. Commonly, the ladies green their faces with it as a skin moisturizer and nutrient. So far they seem to be covering up their guilt over it.

Tom Abbott
Reply to  Gary Pearse
October 10, 2020 7:42 am

“The game turned out to be a sloth with its hair burned off and then roasted in an oven. I was presented with the prime cut – the head, which was simply eyeballs, brains and tongue served with its mouth wide open”

That sounds like a test to me. I would probably have failed that one. 🙂

John Tillman
October 9, 2020 12:34 pm

Where I live, avocados grow on trees and I can buy net bags of them on the street corner for spare change.

Neo
October 9, 2020 12:38 pm

I just worry that the eggplant might go radical

Gordon A. Dressler
October 9, 2020 12:41 pm

Keep in mind that the present 415 ppm (0.0415%) of CO2 in Earth’s atmosphere is calculated on a volumetric basis, so one needs to use Avocados’s number (6.02E+23 molecules per mole) to make that calculation.

Reply to  Gordon A. Dressler
October 9, 2020 1:42 pm

++++

noaaprogrammer
Reply to  Gordon A. Dressler
October 9, 2020 8:10 pm

… it’s 6.02E+23 molecules per guacomole!

Bryan A
Reply to  noaaprogrammer
October 9, 2020 9:25 pm

What do you get if you mix Guacamole with Swiss Cheese?
Holy Mole

Climate believer
October 9, 2020 12:44 pm

Euh… middle class guilt… could they please suffer in silence.

ResourceGuy
Reply to  Climate believer
October 9, 2020 1:55 pm

+50

john cooknell
October 9, 2020 12:57 pm

Why bother with anything the Guardian says, so far I cannot think of one thing they have got right!

Apart from Boris is a clown.

Peta of Newark
October 9, 2020 1:06 pm

Ha ha ha -the Human Animal cannot pass off untruth.

Certainly as I’ve come to understand, vast numbers/amounts of advocado are grown by criminal types who have no hesitation in murdering, raping and pillaging – remaining bits of Rain Forest not least.

Proceeds of advocade farming them goes in drug production, esp Cocaine

Hello Grauniad writers/readers, is *that* actually your concern – the continued supply of coke?
Is *that* the buck you’re passing?

If they (and most climate scientists) were any-more transparent, they’d disappear entirely.
Here’s hoping eh

Jeff Labute
October 9, 2020 1:12 pm

Dear The Guardian

You are out of your avocado Tree.

Cheers.

Lets see, $10 contribution to TheGuardian, or a $10 bag of avocados… I’ll take the bag. You guys make the choice so easy.

ResourceGuy
Reply to  Jeff Labute
October 9, 2020 1:54 pm

+20

Bruce Cobb
October 9, 2020 1:13 pm

Methinks the Grauniad doth project too much.

ResourceGuy
October 9, 2020 1:23 pm

As Dan Yergin said today in an interview on the oil industry outlook, future energy demand will come from the developing world where the population growth is. He’s right and it’s not going to be up to the usual elitist tripe in the once greatest countries debating with avocados.

October 9, 2020 1:29 pm

Climate denial? What’s that?

All I see is geothermal denial.

Imagine that, nearly all climate scientists are imbecile followers of a dead “expert”.

Mumbles McGuirck
October 9, 2020 1:33 pm

Dare I wear my flannels to the beach?
Dare I, Dare I eat an avocado?

Love Song of J Alfred Snowflake

The progressives have their heads so far up their rabbit holes, they can’t see they’re headed off a cliff.

Wolf at the door
October 9, 2020 1:35 pm

Can’t wait for her lecture tour.

TonyG
October 9, 2020 2:03 pm

a sense of dread, gloom and almost paralysing helplessness

I see the same attitudes with the Covid situation. What is it about (some) people that they almost revel in the misery?

Rhoda R
Reply to  TonyG
October 9, 2020 4:55 pm

A certain segment of our populations here in the west think they get some kind of virtue points for being helpless victims.

fred250
Reply to  TonyG
October 9, 2020 10:53 pm

“a sense of dread, gloom and almost paralysing helplessness”

That’s her life !,, sad isn’t it.

Stevek
October 9, 2020 2:11 pm

These journalists have some form of mental illness. They need help and should not be mocked. Perhaps family or friends can reach out to them.

October 9, 2020 2:23 pm

What ever I buy, I never feel guilty, and have no idea why I should.

BobM
October 9, 2020 2:35 pm

I confess I worry about two things: making sure I get the mild guacamole, and making sure I get enough of it. I’m super tense at the grocery store.

John Bell
October 9, 2020 2:44 pm

More blind leftist projection, and making excuses, self psycho-analysis, crazy liberal hand wringing, because they KNOW they use fossil fuels every day – so very fashionable to write stories about reasons they do not make sacrifices for the cause.

Reacher51
October 9, 2020 2:45 pm

Chicken Little, having been hit on the head with an acorn, ran around the farm yelling, “The sky is falling!” But the other animals, being so full of dread at the obvious fact of imminent sky falling, slipped into a terrible form of psychological denial that caused them not to run around screaming as well. As the terrible revealed reality of sky falling penetrated their consciousness, the cow merely looked up and muttered, “Imbecile.” The pig simply snorted, “You’re nuts ( pun neither intended nor taken).” The horse, meanwhile, chose to snicker and cry out, “Be quiet, you blabbering lunatic! You were just hit by an acorn!”

And boy, did those other animals ever turn out to be sorry that they were in so much denial. If only they had had the mental fortitude of the chicken, they could have averted the crisis. Or is that not how the story goes?

October 9, 2020 2:49 pm

Religion of Green
Has environmentalism become more than just a good faith effort to protect the Earth? Is it now tantamount to a religion? And if it is, is that a good thing or a bad thing? PragerU’s latest short documentary, hosted by Will Witt, explores the origins, agenda, and motives of today’s environmental movement. What he finds raises some challenging questions for anyone who sincerely cares about the future of the planet.

October 9, 2020 2:55 pm

Dear Grauniad, We have an avocado tree in our backyard in Sydney. Do we need to feel guilt when we pick and eat one? Should we wait 10 years until the World ends to enjoy one?

son of mulder
October 9, 2020 3:18 pm

I felt so guilty about the trees being felled so I stopped reading the Guardian in 1981….oh there was another reason…..it was not very good.

yarpos
October 9, 2020 3:18 pm

I wonder just how brainwashed you have to be , or pretend to be, to get a job at the Guardian?

They must have a test.

Robert W. Turner
October 9, 2020 3:29 pm

“Those left standing in a supermarket unsure whether they should buy an avocado may be suffering from mild eco-anxiety, according to Hickman. “You’re not falling apart but you feel caught in a dilemma.””

Oh trust me, if this is one of the problems in your life, the present tense “falling apart” is not correct. You may want to go see a shrink at that point.

n.n
October 9, 2020 4:04 pm

The Guardian is also an advocate for diversity (i.e. color judgment) and exclusion dogma that denies individual dignity, individual conscience, intrinsic value, normalizes color blocs, color quotas, and affirmative discrimination. They need to lose their Pro-Choice religion in order to mitigate progress.

observa
October 9, 2020 4:48 pm

How do you feel about climate change denier as I’m very concerned about your feelings?
Welcome to Popsugar.

Al Miller
October 9, 2020 5:41 pm

The only thing I worry about is the mental health of those gullible enough to believe in the myth of AGW, and sometimes a little worried about what people think when I fall off my chair laughing out loud at such absurdity in public places.

RockyRoad
Reply to  Al Miller
October 10, 2020 3:25 am

I enjoy pestering my adult children with the silly shortcomings of climate models. It should make them reconsider the popular conclusions but instead I’m supposedly the one out of touch!

navy bob
October 9, 2020 6:41 pm

“Journalism” like this is beyond parody. These people are completely insane.

observa
Reply to  navy bob
October 9, 2020 7:07 pm

Apparently an affliction which projects one’s suffering upon others particularly vulnerable children. There is some hope that the sufferer feels inclined not to have any.

Pat from kerbob
October 9, 2020 8:22 pm

Another wonderful avocado idea I stumbled on

Make spicy guacamole
Hand cut thick bacon, fry crisp, cool

Use the bacon as chips for dipping the guacamole

I won a prize for that one

philincalifornia
Reply to  Pat from kerbob
October 9, 2020 9:48 pm

From the American Heart Association ??

Pat from kerbob
Reply to  philincalifornia
October 9, 2020 10:06 pm

From a local radio station

An apron

So proud

And animal fat is good for heart and health

Coeur de Lion
October 10, 2020 12:36 am

I’ve always thought that ordinary mayonnaise with a tiny smidgeon of Mrs Gita’s lime pickle juice stirred in does the job.

Ian Coleman
October 10, 2020 2:44 am

All I can say is, some people are prone to harmful levels of guilt. When I was a child guilt was something I felt whenever I disobeyed my parents. Of course, once I became a teenager, I realized that my parents were people and not God Almighty, and that I had some say over the shape of my own conscience. Now I feel guilt over real sins I have committed on purpose, involving harms to other people, and not things I didn’t do myself, like the violent conquest of Canada’s natives by people from Great Britain and France. The first application of guilt has real consequences for my behavior and the second is just a neurosis.

Tom Abbott
October 10, 2020 5:41 am

From the article: “You’re browsing in a supermarket and fretting mildly about the air miles of some green beans.”

It took me a couple of seconds to realize what he is talking about and then I Busted Out Laughing!

Air miles of green beans! Now there’s something I *never* think about.

To think that there are actually people out there worrying about such things is sad especially when there is no evidence that Human-caused Climate Change is real.

Delusions abound in alarmist climate science.

observa
Reply to  Tom Abbott
October 10, 2020 7:50 am

You need to be a human bean to really appreciate such things-
comment image&exph=816&expw=1024&q=mr+bean&simid=608039418059293889&ck=180A376EAA6064FFE91F43FAB7F9C02B&selectedIndex=0&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Andy Pattullo
October 10, 2020 7:53 am

Way to go Guardian. Only a few revealing pics of celebrities and aliens away from replacing the National Enquirer at the checkout.

ResourceGuy
Reply to  Andy Pattullo
October 11, 2020 1:42 pm

+100

Velcro
October 10, 2020 1:27 pm

We introduced our stockman to the delights of avocado a few years ago. He’s a man of few words
Took a bite in silence, then said -“It looks like green pus. Tastes like it too”

ResourceGuy
October 11, 2020 1:36 pm

In the history of the Long March of the Climate Crusades there was one named Brian who smoked some local weeds and departed from the main path of the other wildebeests. He did find a comfortable job at the Guardian to talk fondly of the others who soldiered on. His story was later glorified into a movie production.