Greg Laden caves – makes nice with Tallbloke

Tom Nelson points out that Laden seems to have caved to impending legal action. His essay now is a world apart from the angry and accusatory rhetoric of a few days ago. I think maybe Laden and the owners of ScienceBlogs.com had a “come to Jesus meeting” (as my favorite broadcasting boss calls them) to basically say, “repent or ye shall be sued to holy hell”.

Actions speaking loudly here:

Warmist Greg Laden: Did I say that tallbloke is a criminal? I meant he’s not a criminal

Computers Seized in Cyber-Thief Investigation (updated again) : Greg Laden’s Blog

I’ve decided to update this blog entry (20 Dec 2011) because it occurs to me that certain things could be misinterpreted…I want to make it clear that I do not think that the blogger “TallBloke” a.k.a. Roger Tattersall has broken British law…The fact that we (Tattersall and I) are on very different sides of this issue should mean spirited debate. It should mean an open conversation about the issues. It should not mean undue accusations or harassment. In pursuit of that ideal, I am offering Mr. Tattersall to publish a blog post on this site (Greg Laden’s Blog) expressing his opinion on the matter, and he has agreed to to so, through his solicitor, instead of pursuing legal action that was previously suggested. I look forward to receiving the text for this post and, again in the spirit of open and public debate about these important issues, I will post it prominently and place it on the select feed for Scienceblog.com to give it maximum exposure.

Laden’s original post (with all the angry unedited rhetoric) is here.

For those late to the party, the timeline summary is here.

Oh, and a personal thank you to all WUWT readers who contributed to Tallbloke’s legal defense fund, which swelled mightily shortly after announced here. Proof positive that money talks, …….. walks.  – Anthony

crosspatch

It’s a good day.

Bloke down the pub

Perhaps Greg Laden didn’t want [SNIP: Let’s take the high road here, shall we? -REP].

Greg Laden is [SNIP: Let’s take the high road here, shall we? -REP].

If I’m not mistaken (as I’m no lawyer) in tort, there is a duty to mitigate. As such, Tallbloke provided Greg the opportunity to appologize. Greg has taken this opportunity. Tallbloke’s ability to pursue tort in this and other cases will be greatly affected by how others react. As always, taking the high road, avoiding slander, spite and vitriol and sticking to the facts by all will provide evidence of the character of the skeptical argument. Even without the current litigous climate, there is a long run battle here and the quiet, fact based, reasoned argument will win the day.
Just my half-penny thought (do they still have those in the UK Roger?)

guam

Good, its time they realised they need to be careful about the rhetoric and general tripe posted about those with a divergent view on the issue!

DirkH

Sissy.

Colin in BC

A complete walk-back. I’m glad Tallbloke took aggressive legal action. That original post by Laden steps well over the line of reasonable discourse and enters the realm of libel.

PaulC

When I follow the link to Laden’s original post my Anti Virus detects a virus on the site. Beware

Kozlowski

This is good. I really felt very strongly that Tallbloke threatening legal action was not a smart move. Let science be debated. Everything else is just noise.
People like Mann and David Suzuki threaten libel to shut down their critics. It is a reprehensible tactic.

Neil

From “The Apology”:
Hanke, [talking with two men in Monk’s]: “Guys, there’s no doubt that the pay
is good. But I don’t just know if I see myself working with ice cream.”
Man #1: “You get pretty buff forearms.”
Hanke: “I don’t know if I’m into that.”
George, [entering Monk’s]: “Oh, hello, Hanke, others.”
Hanke: “George.”
George: “You know, Jason, I, uh, I couldn’t help notice, I… I didn’t get my
apology.”
Hanke: “Apology? For what?”
George: “A drafty apartment? A… sweaterless friend? A ball-game giveaway
Metlife windbreaker?”
Hanke: “George, come on, not that neck hole thing.”
George: “Yeah, the neck hole thing, and I would appreciate it if you would
say you’re sorry.”
Hanke: “No way, you would’ve completely stretched it out.”
George: “You’re an alcoholic! You have to apologize. Step Nine! Step Nine.”
Hanke: “All right, George, all right. I’m sorry. I’m very, very sorry. I’m so
sorry that I didn’t want your rather bulbous head struggling to find its way
through the normal-size neck hole of my finely knit sweater.”

theduke

At John Eggert: no where do I see an apology in his “update.” I think there should be one.

Awwww….. you mean with an iron-clad case of righteous victimization, we gotta be magnanimous?

jono

The day sensibility broke out.
I am sure Greg Ladens blog will recieve an avalanche of hits as soon as RT files his article, I for one would enjoy reading his, as usual, carefully chosen words even if on another blog and just maybe the visitor hit record will leave its own mark on the conciousness of the ScienceBlogs.com owners

AdderW

Good to see that it will all be sorted in a civil manner.

Bloke down the pub

Bloke down the pub says:
December 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
But I’ll be in Scotland afore ye.

Space Ghost

reminds me of my secret victory over Laurence Godfrey that banished him from the Internet. If only I was allowed to talk about it

Lew Skannen

A smart move by old ‘Binny’ and TallBloke has been vindicated. This is not about science it is about defending oneself against outrageous accusations and TallBloke was right to pursue this.

Mike the convict

Damage control wins the day.
Well done Tallbloke and legal team.

Very good !!! (so far)

Greg sure can talk out of both sides of his mouth. I’m very much looking forward to reading what Tallbloke has to say. My gut feeling is that he’ll be gracious, even though it’s obvious that Greg’s update is completely contrary to what was previously written (and what Greg still undoubtedly thinks).

AnonyMoose

I must decline your suggestion to get high before following yonder road.

🙂
A huge thank you to Anthony and everyone at WUWT and elsewhere who have been swift and unstinting in their support. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
I’m not going to say much or wax large right now. I’m in the middle of decorating our Christmas tree with my lady.
Stephen, who is largely to thank for this development, may still be up and about at this late UK hour hopefully. We have done no ‘deals’ with Greg yet, but we hope to reach a mutually acceptable conclusion to matters in due course.

a jones

Ah well Anthony the problems of running a blog I imagine.
rwct says:
December 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm
Greg Laden is a [snip]
—————————————————————
No I do not understand what this means either although I take as not being complimentary to Mr. Laden.
—————————————————————
John Eggert says:
December 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm.
No sir. How the British could have devised a decimal currency system with a half penny in it is beyond all understanding.
At least when we had real money with 240 pence to the pound hapennies and even farthings made sense.
Inflation would have done for that of course but as far as I know the absurd decimal halfpenny vanished years ago, I disremember when.
And of course the phrase has always been a penny for your thoughts.
————————————————————-
Anyway Anthony may I take this opportunity to wish you and yours and the denizens and readers of this blog a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Kindest Regards

I’ll really be surprised when Michael Mann apologizes. It’s not in his DNA. He’ll fight it until the bitter end. I hope you pursue it. He damages Penn State more than anyone short of Mr. Sandusky.

DRE

“Weasel” is the word that pops inexplicably into my head.

LLAP

Tallbloke: A merry Christmas to you and yours. You have handled yourself with class through all of this, and have done the skeptic community proud.

Dr. Dave

Heh, heh, heh….As a Department head I’ve held quite a few “come to Jesus meetings” in my time (and that’s what I called them, too). Just as it’s always preferable to prevent a disease than to treat it, avoiding legal action is always preferable to litigating it. To me this Greg Laden character is little more than a gnat. The larger issue, I believe, is the UK cops showing up late at night (in numbers) to seize Tallbloke’s computers. There is also the issue of the involvement of the US DOJ. The subjects of the Queen don’t enjoy the same rights we have as citizens of the USA, but it strikes me as bizarre that the constabulary could have a warrant for search and seizure of the premises of someone who is “not a suspect.” Perhaps the laws in the UK are different. Maybe Stephen Wilde could enlighten us.

Annie

Good. Let’s hope decent attitudes are maintained.

wise moves by both sides. stick to the high road

Michael Palmer

“…it occurs to me that certain things could be misinterpreted…”
No they couldn’t, really – the implication that tallbloke himself was one of thieves was perfectly clear. There is no other possible interpretation.

LLAP says:

Seconded. And duplicated for Anthony and moderators. That’s good Christmas tidings.

Not to seem petty but I’m torn between “Hopefully congrats, and all the best for the future” and “Bugger, I just donated three hours ago.”
Got over it. If not premature, congratulations, Roger.

RayG

Second what DFbaskwill had to say. For Stephen Wilde and TB, Does Laden’s climbdown still leave Our Dear Mann open to litigation if he chooses to stonewall?

Otter

I wonder if someone shouldn’t invite laden to stop by here and apologize directly, rather than sort-of apologize elsewhere? Perhaps j bowers, mattb or Jbrookes could get hold of him.

Good one TB. Top Bloke
And when you are sticking the tip of your tree up that Christmas fairies bum, forget GL and make sure all your thoughts are pure ones

Totally off topic and only available to UK listeners http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012w87v
“Row to the Pole” gets it first screening tomorrow. One word of caution, this ain’t the pole that Santa uses, it is a once magnetic pole in the Canadian archipelago and they are rowing around Devon Island and Cornwall Island for starters, first named by British west country sailors when they sailed the waters one hundred and fifty years ago.

Charles.U.Farley

Greg in shackles, the local sheriff leads him to the police car, Greg raises a fist, shakes it vigorously in the air and shouts:
“Yeah, and id have gotten away with it, if it wasnt for those pesky deniers!”
Srooby dooby doooooooo!

Michael Palmer says:
December 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm
“…it occurs to me that certain things could be misinterpreted…”

I agree.
While “certain things” could always be misinterpreted, they were not in this case.
I’m encouraged that Tallbloke’s holiday season will be much more enjoyable now.
Spirited debate is one thing, but mean-spirited hate-filled discussion are another thing entirely and something I’d say most skeptics do not promote.

JB Goode

‘I’m in the middle of decorating our Christmas tree with my lady.’
What’s she done wrong?

Stephen Wilde

Peter said:
“May I suggest that any, ahem, suplus monies donated now be used to find a reason for and to sue plod for overstepping the mark in seizing your equipment? Take the fight back to authorities. I’ll be prepared to give again for that.”
We are taking them one at a time.
The Police need to answer some questions. I am still waiting.
Funds are still welcome because although I am guiding Roger personally on a pro bono basis I cannot afford to do the whole thing on that basis so work done in my firm’s time involving communications and negotiations with others must be paid for.
Any surplus will be distributed to climate realist blogs at Roger’s discretion as stated in the original appeal.
I am hoping that some general good will come of this. There is no intention to restrict assertive banter between bloggers on a single site even if it goes over the top.. I think there is already a case which protects such activity within reason.
What we do have to stop is malicious falsehoods being showered down on the realist viewpoint. There is nothing comparable going from realists to AGW proponents (I admit that realists often do respond assertively) The AGW group try to compare the Climategate scenario with their abuses of realists but I don’t think that comparison is appropriate.

Stephen Wilde

“Perhaps the laws in the UK are different.”
The Police might have behaved correctly and I hope they did but on the information I have I can’t really see it.
More information is awaited.

neill

Kozlowski says:
December 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm
Point is, this walk-back wouldn’t be happening had not Tallbloke threatened litigation. Weasels like this use their blogs to spew warmist/leftist venom, and the only thing that will stop them is the threat of litigation.

Jeremy

I look forward to Greg Laden’s next WHAAAARGARBLE!!! rant that nearly costs him some pocketbook. They’re entertaining when considered in the proper context of a faith-based paradigm.

Zac says:
December 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Well, it wouldn’t be off topic if you posted it in this WUWT thread:

Bill Kropla

“mean spirited debate”
I wonder whether this is just an unfortunate juxtaposition of words (that could have benefited from a hyphen) or if it’s a coded reference to the sort of debate that Greg would prefer. I suppose we’ll never know — unless the emails behind it are released to the public.

TB said: “I’m in the middle of decorating our Christmas tree with my lady.”
You might want to rephrase that, or you might be seeing plod again before Christmas! And we’d hate for your Christmas to be ruined.
Cheers
PG

jlc

Thanks to all at WUWT for their input during the year – and, yes, I include the contrarians!
Thanks to everyone who has taken a stand in support of scientific discipline and integrity.
This website has been of great support to me as I went through a few months of cancer treatment, knowing that I was not alone in the world. My appreciation of climate comes merely from 45 years designing and building hydro projects and dams aroung the world – in every continent except Antarctica (fair dinkum global warming would give me the opportunity to do even that).
Thanks also to JB Goode (aka Chuck Berry) for droll riposte

As I said the other day to someone who started crapping on about how we wouldn’t succeed because US law this and UK law that and first amendment the other:
I don’t play armchair attorneys: I get the professionals in
I couldn’t have wished for better partners in this than Stephen and his firm Wilde & Co.
They listen, recommend, agree and act.

jlc

Try “around”

Tony B (another one)

I have to say that I think the only satisfactory response by Laden is a full and un-reserved apology, which should be a sticky on his own site for at least a month, with links placed on other warmist sites notifying The Believers of this apology.
Anything less does not appear to be remotely adequate.