It's official: Al Gore is a prophet

Tim Blair of the Telegraph catches this little slip, which is rather telling. He writes:

Jeff Young interviews Maggie Fox, President and CEO of Al Gore’s latest scam, the Climate Reality Project:

FOX: I think the notion of Vice President Gore as a divisive figure is a bit of a hoax, just like the people who are denying climate change. It’s a pre-frame, it’s a fabrication that suits those who want to keep the status quo. So if you have a prophet, if you have someone who has woken up to a particular challenge in the world and that person speaks, if that disrupts things, who is going to be and what are the voices going to be that say that person doesn’t have credibility? Those voices that don’t want that change … There are so many more voices clamoring to hear what he has to say that his right to speak and need to speak is more than made clear virtually every day.

YOUNG: Did you just refer to him as a prophet?

FOX: I think he is a prophet on climate change. I think he woke up to this issue in his earliest years, expected as other people learned about it that they would also wake up to its significance … His presumption as a young man was that once you heard the information the world would shift and start getting its act together, and that hasn’t happened.

==========================================================

Here’s an “inconvenient truth”:

Traffic rank: lower is better. Alexa doesn't track ranks below 100,000

Source: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/climaterealityproject.org+wattsupwiththat.com#

NOTE: Since some commenters misunderstand the above graph, here’s an explanation. It is traffic rank, not hits. WUWT is in the top most visited websites of the world, AlGore’s CRP is not.

DanZee

LarryT

Al Gore is in it for a PROFIT not being a prophet

James Evans

I assume this was a telephone interview, and Young must simply have misheard her. Perhaps Maggie Fox was simply referring to all the “profit” that Gore makes from the climate change scare.
“So if you have a profit…”
“I think he has a profit from climate change.”
That would make more sense.

imoira

A propheteer?

Severian

A prophet for profit obviously…

D. J. Hawkins

I think you flipped the scales on your semi-log plot, unless WUWT really is only 20,000 hits per day!
REPLY: I think you don’t know how to read graphs. Traffic rank, not hits. WUWT is in the top most visited websites of the world, AlGore is not. – Anthony

Al Gore is a profiteer, from a long line of profiteers, preying on people’s weaknesses

pat

Pandering to the boss.

Mike

So…it is a religion!!!!

Brian Johnson uk

How much is he paying her? Mind you she is CEO of a mindless organisation.
“Prophet:one who utters divinely inspired revelations!”
That is not Al Gore in any conceivable way!
Maggie Fox – You’re fired!

Trying really hard to stifle a guffaw here. Oh, forget it.

Haha, a FALSE prophet.

Wouter

1. I don’t think the word “official” means what you think it means.
2. How does traffic rank play into this? Scientific truth is not determined by the popularity of its view.
3. For all the grandstanding that’s being done here about improper scientific method, misleading numbers, and so on, it raises some eyebrows that you’d use a traffic rank system that’s widely considered irrelevant and inaccurate.
REPLY: I don’t think you know how to read tags – Anthony

Prophet of doom, or doomed prophet. Al’s seeing his profits dry up and the lawsuits pile up.

Peter Plail

“I think he woke up to this issue in his earliest years,”
And the wise men came to visit the infant Al in his crib, bringing gifts of carbon tax credits, nobel prizes and vice presidencies.

Kev-in-Uk

Yeah, yeah – and my goldfish was a centrefold last month!
Gore is a prophet ? – Oh FFS! – can someone really be that clueless?

Doug Proctor

His earliest years were when he was in his 40s. He also grew, harvested etc. tobacco earlier than that. But Christ has a missing first 30 years; Gore is a little bit slower coming to his special connection with God and the universe, but we can probably forgive him that.
What is the first rule about finding the Buddha on the road, according to the Buddha himself? You are supposed to “kill” him, as no one who was the Buddha would have the foolishness to claim that he was one.

Scipio

“WUWT is in the top most visited websites of the world, AlGore’s CRP is not.”
Just insert an ‘A’ into CRP and you will have what spews forth from Al Gores mouth most of the time.

Pamela Gray

The “paint by the numbers” pic is priceless! Back in the old days, you weren’t Catholic unless you had done a paint by the numbers pic of a notable Bible or Pope-ish character displayed in your living room. That was back in the day when, on their way out the door to attend Mass, the females would grab a doily off the coffee table, shake off the dust, and affix it on top of their heads with two crossed bobby pins.

Shevva

I’ve watch American films before, powerful man, devout follow, sweaty bodies (yep that’s an image).
Although my definition of prophet in American would have something to do with Koolaid.

Bill Marsh

So AGW is officially a religion. As far as I know only religions have prophets.

Alex the skeptic

The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was profiteer. then I went scrolling down to read the comments and realised that many had beat me to it.
So, the church of Gore has a prophet (himself of course), a godess Gaia, for whom we have to sacrifies ourselves, our children and forfeit all our luxuries and even basic needs such as electricity for heating There is also salvation, which is the higher ground where one goes to be saved from drowning because of raised ocean levels. There is also a heaven, which is Antarctica, the only place to remain habitable after the planet has burnt out due to global warming. There are the bishops (Hansen, Mann….) and acolytes, these being the journalists telling us how we are all gonna die if we do not repent…..
And then there’s damnation for all those who don’t drive a Prius or a donkey.

Cassandra King

Wouter says:
August 8, 2011 at 9:32 am
So the consensus is wrong? This CAGW alarmist dedication to the numbers game has been a central feature of the fabricated consensus. Oh I get it now, its populism when sceptics try the numbers game and consensus when the CAGW cult tries it.
Populism Vs the consensus. The war between the CAGW fraud and the truth, a bit like the good the bad and the ugly. The ugly being Al Gore of course.

Paul Westhaver

Anthony Watts Writes: “WUWT is in the top most visited websites of the world, AlGore’s CRP is not.”
LOL,
My mind interpreted CRP as CRaP.
I thought that was amusing.

Ryan

Reminds me of David Icke, well known British footballer and TV personality who thought he was a messiah. Google him if you want a laugh.

Doug Proctor says:
August 8, 2011 at 9:38 am
“Prophet or false prophet both have their detractors. When the prophet claims that HE is the prophet, we know he is the false one. The real ones deny it, claiming only that they have figured out something worth thinking about.”
I do hope that you meant “/sarc” somewhere.

Latitude

Wouter says:
August 8, 2011 at 9:32 am
Scientific truth is not determined by the popularity of its view.
======================================================
97 percent of scientists say man-made climate change is real ………
woops

David L

My grandmother many many years ago would say “never believe prophets that eat bread”.

As the song goes,
please give me “Al Gore” on the line….
I’d like to have a word or two with him
(found he does not answer his emails)

Alex the skeptic says:
August 8, 2011 at 9:52 am
And then there’s damnation for all those who don’t drive a Prius or a donkey.

Don’t forget, there is also a Devil, which is our modern lifestyle that makes life easier. Where there is a devil, there are also demons. The demons are the people who dare question the goddess and her prophets and bishops. The sacrifices that we have to make to obtain salvation are simony.

Joe Horner

Wouter says:
August 8, 2011 at 9:32 am
Ergo a consensus (which only represents the popularity of a given view) is meaningless in science. Guess what? That’s one of the things sceptics have been saying for a very long time!

And as readers of Dan Gardner’s book ‘Future Babble’ will know, the predictive power of most prophets is a big fat zero.
On the other hand he must have some supernatural powers. How else can you explain the climate-changing ‘Gore Effect’?

DirkH

Google for “Green Prophet”; it seems to be commonplace for the green/environmentalist movement to call their leaders prophets.

Remember, Al Gore’s prophecy is pushed using the idea that skeptic scientists are corrupt and untrustworthy. Nobody in the mainstream media has questioned this, and as I pointed out in my guest post here at WUWT ( http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/25/the-end-is-near-for-faith-in-agw/ ), Gore can’t keep his accusation story straight. He again altered his long-term accusation narrative in his latest profanity-filled diatribe at the Aspen Institute a couple of days ago, citing the infamous Naomi Oreskes about the corruption of skeptic scientists. As I pointed in another of my pieces, Oreskes is also tied to the same old central smear of skeptic scientists, please see: “Circuitous attempts to smear AGW skeptic scientists” http://climatechangedispatch.com/editorials/7568-circuitous-attempts-to-smear-agw-skeptic-scientists

I’m looking forward to the moment when the “prophet” sojourns in the wilderness for forty days and forty nights. Real prophets don’t take their Blackberry with them, so we can expect almost a month of silence from “Al Gorezeera” or “The Voice of the Prophet”. Any suggestions for the location of his sojourn?
I’ve heard Australia’s great prophet Tim Flannery is planning a sojourn, though I don’t think he’ll pick a spot just below the Wivenhoe dam in Queensland. I’ve heard it’s nice there in January, if sometimes a trifle wet.

Ken Harvey

Adam and Eve ate of the carbonaceous fruit and the lord Algore was angry. Fig leaves anyone?

chris b

From my favorite movie……… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWmbuKSWLDE ……… Gore’s competition.

RockyRoad

A prophet? Consider the source (clueless, unreliable, gold digger (for a story), “journalist” (or wanna-be)).
Besides, for a prophet to be considered one, he should have a track record. What has Gore predicted that’s come to pass? His record regarding the climate is dismal. And what happens to the weather when Gore travels someplace–it turns into a deep freeze (relatively speaking). I’d say he’s a jinx.
No, Gore is no prophet. He’s a profitess (meaning he stands to make money by his pronouncements), but any which way you cut it, he’s not a prophet.

kim

Naomi Oreskes being completely backwards in her analogy about business perverting the message is one of the more amusing ironies of this whole mess.
She gets a roomful of mirrors all to herself in my museum.
============

Phil's Dad

Prophetic sounds quite similar to the word I first though of.

Kaboom

Prophecy is prophitable. Ask any of the recently founded “churches”.

SionedL

While I don’t claim to be a biblical scholar, doesn’t one false prophesy make a false prophet?
“If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD [Gaia] does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD [Gaia] has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.” Deuteronomy 18:20-22

DJ

They keep misspelling prophet….. it’s PROFIT.

wizardofozlo

DanZee says:
“I believe Al Gore also blamed the Dinosaurs for global warming in prehistoric times, and the monks for the Middle Ages warm-up. Now the Tea Party is causing the sun to burn us to a crisp!.”
Well, in that case Gore must indeed be a prophet; the Dinosaurs got their just reward for all that global warming, didn’t they?

Doug S

The response that many people have to “Global Warming” is of a religious nature. They want to believe, they want to do the right thing (most of them anyway) but they do not understand the nature of science. Perhaps here in the US it confirmation that we are falling way behind in graduating Engineers and Scientists. Interesting that of the developing nations that ARE producing technical people, they are not falling into this religious trap. People will have to be taught Science and this will have to begin with the young school age kids today.

H.R.

@Alex the skeptic says:
August 8, 2011 at 9:52 am
“And then there’s damnation for all those who don’t drive a Prius or a donkey.”
============================================================
I’m not sure you’re off the hook with just a Prius. Stick with a donkey just to be on the safe side. I know his followers are sticking with a jack@$$.
;o)

mbabbitt

Doesn’t matter whether Gore’s a prophet or not. He’s just plain wrong about the end of the world will be caused by slightly highter amounts of CO2 — besides, he’s a hypocrite to boot.

jorgekafkazar

[snip – just a bit over the top comparison wise – Anthony]

James Sexton

===============================================================
lol, I think you should lobby Alexa to change its graph format. Every time!!! lol

Jeremy

YOUNG: Did you just refer to him as a prophet?

I would like to note, for the record, that that is completely contrary to how science works. You don’t simply learn something and that’s the end of it. You don’t simply absorb a book and the questioning stops. That bolded sentence right there says that Gore expected all of us to simply ‘hear the information’ and believe
THAT IS RELIGION.