Kold in Kazakhstan

By Steven Goddard,

There has been a lot of talk about the hot weather in Moscow over the last couple of weeks. This normally gets reported as the “hot weather in Russia.” But Russia is a big country, and much of it has been experiencing cold temperatures.

The Caucuses and nearby Kazakhstan have been getting hit by one cold wave after another – as seen in the video below.

Closeup of Kazakhstan below, showing temperatures 10-15C below normal near lake Balkash.

This past winter was one of the coldest on record in Siberia.

Record Low Temperatures Grip Siberia

I R K U T S K, Russia, Jan. 22

Winter in Siberia is usually spectacular and always very cold. But this winter has been relentless. Week after week, temperatures have been dipping to 50 below zero. Siberians are accustomed to the cold, but they were completely unprepared for temperatures this low

In further bad news for Kazakhstan, Alberto Contador is leaving team Astana at the end of the year.

Ryan Maue adds from his Florida State University weather map page, NCEP GFS forecast maps of 2-meter temperature anomalies for the globe and selected regions of the world.  The anomalies are based upon the new NCEP CFSR reanalysis which extends from 1979-2009, and has the distinct advantage of being based upon a relatively recent incarnation of the NCEP GFS model (so sorta apples to apples).  The climatological averages are based upon a 21-day centered average during the past 30-years.  While western Russia bakes, the far east and Europe enjoys fall-like temperatures.

NCEP GFS Global Temperature Anomaly Forecasts

Also, Invest 91L in the central Atlantic is becoming better organized and is poised to develop into a Tropical Depression during the next couple of days.  Current long-range models put the disturbance east of the Bahamas in 6-days.

Leon Brozyna

20 to 25° F below normal? Hell son, that’s just weather.
Now a heat wave with wildfires and drownings is climate change — proof positive of C³ — catastrophic climate change. And you can take that to the bank; you know, the one that was bailed out with your tax dollars.

Jimbo

But the cold is much hotter than we thought. :o)

Ed Caryl

I see that it’s cold in Quebec and Newfoundland where the ice sheets begin, and it’s also cold around the Antarctic Peninsula where it was supposed to be warming. Obviously weather!

Ivor Horton

I find it very surprising and hard to believe that Siberians are unprepared for temperatures of 50 below.
I was frequently in Nabarejne Celny in Tartaria in the former USSR in the 1970s working on the Kamaz truck plant and winter temperatures were often well below -40 centigrade with the lowest in my experience being -56 centigrade. I certainly was outside when it was this low – uncomfortable sure, but I did not lose any limbs.
Children were only kept in when temperatures were below -20. I saw construction workers mixing concrete (mixed with antifreeze) for the Kamaz truck plant when it was -10 or so.

DirkH

Kazakhstan recently opened the largest tent of the world in their capital, as a refuge from the extreme climate:

Cassandra King

Do my eyes lie or is the Antarctic continent basking in a +20c anomaly? In the depths of the coldest southern hemisphere winter in years the continent is covered in red, I doubt what I am seeing very much.
What is the current Antarctic mean temperature at the moment?

Theo Goodwin

I wonder when Obama will flip to global cooling? After the November election? I wonder if the Warmista are giving due consideration to the timing of this event?

Wherein we demonstrate once again that weather is not climate, unless the weather is warmer, or wetter, or dryer or more violent.
Sheesh!

Random

“How many times I need to tell you climate deniers that global is important, not local…”

Henry chance

It is always hot in the summer. Gets very hot. Cold in the summer is climate change. It is in the wrong direction. Not much of this news gets covered. The warmist sites are jealous of these vivid graphics.
I am sure the european side of Russia has very different weather patterns than the asian side of the Urals.
If it keeps getting colder, NASA will have to reduce the number of temp readings.

Philip T. Downman

It was rumored that during the Soviet era, Siberians often reported falsely lower winter temperatures in order to get more fuel- and firing ration. If that is true, there might look like a weather improvement, if we assume they report truthfully now to say.

Jimbo

To put the heat wave into perspective.

“An absolute temperature record of 37.2 degrees Celsius (98.9 degrees Fahrenheit) was registered in Moscow on Monday, a spokesman for the local meteorological bureau reported on Monday.
“The previous record of 36.8 degrees Celsius [98.2 Fahrenheit] was recorded in 1920,” the spokesman said.”

“Similar conditions have only occurred five times — in 1919, 1920, 1936, 1938 and 1972 — since Russia started recording temperatures 130 years ago, Valery Lukyanov, deputy head of Russia’s main weather forecast centre Roshydromet, told Reuters.”

So before Warmists jump up and down about global warming being the cause they have to answer what caused the 1920 and 1936 heat waves for example? Meanwhile they ignore the bitter cold of South America with single digits in the hothouse Amazon.

Frederick Michael

What’s up with the Antarctic ocean? The map shown above is totally at variance with this:

Please don’t forget Peru! Hundreds of children have died there:
Ecotretas

Gary Pearse

“But Russia is a big country, and much of it has been experiencing cold temperatures.”
Most people don’t know how big. Did you know that the distance between Moscow and Chicago is the same distance as from Moscow to the Far East of Russia?

Amino Acids in Meteorites

Random says:
August 1, 2010 at 10:50 am
You are talking about the local heat in Northeastern US?
Globally the earth has been cooling since 1999. And looking at the bigger picture the earth has been cooling for 1000 years. And an even bigger picture for 6000 years.
“The Wet Sahara”, earth warmer 6000 years ago

Amino Acids in Meteorites

Frederick Michael says:
August 1, 2010 at 11:31 am
What’s up with the Antarctic ocean? The map….
I don’t know about the Antarctic, but I see La Nina!

Gail Combs

Frederick Michael says:
August 1, 2010 at 11:31 am
______________________________________________________________
Here is the problem:

PJB

I told you once…
The more CO2 there is in the atmosphere, the more hot air is created….as seen in the Climatological literature. 😉

Amino Acids in Meteorites

Ecotretas says:
August 1, 2010 at 11:35 am
Please don’t forget Peru! Hundreds of children have died there:
As usual it is the poor hurting the worst. The poor, and elderly on fixed incomes, in America will hurt the worst if energy bills “necessarily skyrocket”. It won’t be only Peru were deaths occur in the cold.
[reply] Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter. RT-mod

Douglas DC

I had a flight student who was a Russian Emigre. Good pilot, but he’d wear his tropical
shirts and shorts any time the temp was above freezing. I asked him one day, “Gregor, where are you from? what part of Russia?” “Petropovalosk-Kamchatka” “Born and
raised.” ” Too warm here in Eastern Washington (Tri cities)” Ok. For that and other reasons, I thought to myself-these folks are born Spacemen….

Reference

Dome A Temperature
Latitude: 80 22″ 02’S
Longitude: 77 32″21’E
Height: 4084 m
Latest 24-hour-minimum temperature: -77.8°C (01Aug2010)

Steve in SC

Kazakhstan has both one humped camels and two humped camels.

Bill Jamison

Nevermind Russia, it looks like Antarctica is ON FIRE!
20C above normal for that whole area??? Really????
Well it’s “official” data so it MUST be true.

Amino Acids in Meteorites

[reply] Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter. RT-mod
Are those from high energy bills that drove pensioners to by discount books for heating fuel? 40,000, that is a very sad number. The same or worse will happen in the United States with high heating bills.
I am shocked by that number.
[reply] Fuel poverty is an offense to civilised society. RT-mod

James Sexton

[reply] Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter. RT-mod
Mod, I’d like to use that in a piece I’m writing. I know you’re the mod and all, but can you post the link? Or just fire to my e-mail? I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I’m sure much of them died in an effort to cure mother earth of her fever, but it’s damned bitter pill to swallow. In the UK, no less.
[reply]http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/is-the-weather-making-you-ill-1864773.html RogTallbloke-mod

The warmth in Antarctica is pretty noticeable. The lack of warmth in the Arctic is also noticeable.

rbateman

I believe this one might be for the subsurface sea temps:
Which would mean that as soon as summer is over, the ocean rolls over colder water below.

Bulaman

Kiwi paper with Peru story.. temp decline over the past 3 or 4 years..

stephen richards

[reply] Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter. RT-mod
That is utter rubbish I’m afraid. BUT I would always prefer global warming to global cooling as would Al Gore, of course.
[reply] Take it up with the UK health authority, the independent newspaper and wikipedia. RT-mod

Cassandra
NOAA almost always shows Antarctica very warm, even during months when UAH shows it much below normal. I don’t know what that is about.

TomRude

More than temperature maps, pressure maps would tell the tale. But for the purpose of fearmongering, the temps will do.

Steve, my home town of Novosibirsk is in the middle of the current low temperature zone, and Western Siberia is still located in Russia, but Kazakhstan is a separate country now, vegetating under not-so-brilliant dictatorship of Mr. Nazarbayev and his kin. Transcaucasian republics (Armenia and Georgia) are also independant countries.
Mr. Horton above mentions that, according to his observations, Siberians are used to minus 50°C cold. I wouldn’t qualify his statement as correct if it’s applied to the most populated parts of Siberia.
I was born and grew up in Western Siberia, and minus 42-45°C was considered rather extreme. Minus 50°C is a disaster. Petrol starts to freeze, all machinery stops, and people stay indoors.
The vast but almost unpopulated region in Central Eastern Siberia (north of Yakutsk) is famous for frequently hitting as low as minus 50°C. But more populated Southern Siberian areas along the Trans-Siberian railroad, where major cities are located (Omsk, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk) rarely experience temperatures lower than minus 40°C, and even that is usually considered dangerous enough to close schools.
I remember going to the Soviet school when it was minus 42°C (the school was at 5-minute walking distance) but most children who lived farther out would not come to school when it hit minus 40°C.

TomRude

Henry Chance
May i suggest the following reading: Dynamic Analysis of Weather and Climate, M.Leroux, Springer 2010 where such questions are well answered among others?

Random
Local temperatures are only relevant when they are above average.
High temperatures are climate, low temperatures are weather.

Gail Combs

Alexander Feht says:
August 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm
______________________________________________
BRRrrrrr -35C was cold enough to cause a friend and I to have frostbite while waiting for a school bus in New York.
Thanks for the first hand info.

Robert of Ottawa

As for a piddling several degree Centigrade rise, I would like to point out that Ottawa (my eponymous city) varies in temperature by 60 centigrade every 6 months.

old44

If I read the anomaly is correct, one of the coldest winters days in Melbourne is 5°C warmer than average?

Steve in SC

Currently suffering in 99 deg F, my sympathies are somewhat limited.
The question is: Is it better to die from heatstroke or from frostbite?

latitude

Amino Acids in Meteorites says:
August 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm
I don’t know about the Antarctic, but I see La Nina!
==========================================================
and what is that blue thing coming off the west coast of Africa? 😉

phlogiston

Kold in the glorious nation of Kasakhstan? – not much fun for all those potassium miners. (Is K mining open cast?)

Jimbo

Amino Acids in Meteorites says:
August 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm
[reply] Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter. RT-mod
………….
I am shocked by that number.
————-
It’s been going on for years topping over 25,000 regularly each winter. Imagine if the same number died during the recent heatwave in the UK. “We must act now.” Yet poor pensioners are treated like badly!

Michael Schaefer

During last winter, we had SIX WEEKS of continuous sub-zero temps, bottoming out at -20 degrees centigrade, in my home county in the lower Rhine area of Germany, where winters are supposed to be ABOVE zero normaly, with only a handful of days showing sub-zero temps every other few years, or so.
This may sound funny, compared to regular siberian winter temps. But it ain’t funny anymore, when cities with millions of inhabitants are completely unprepared for such harsh winters and their economies come to a screetching halt for weeks on end, due to (unaccustomed) cold weather.

Jimbo

stephen richards says:
August 1, 2010 at 12:56 pm
[reply] Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter. RT-mod
That is utter rubbish I’m afraid.

———————–
“Around 25,000 extra people die in the winter months compared to other times of the year in England and Wales. Last year there were 40,000 excess deaths, as a result of the unusually low temperatures…..And they are worse in Britain than in countries with colder winters, such as Scandinavia. ”
Source: The Independent
Other sources: click, click, click.
This is nothing unusual. See the 1998/99 and 1999/200 winter excess deaths of over 40,000 for each winter click.
I respect your sceptical mind but you must back up your sweeping statement with evidence.

Gail Combs

Steve in SC says:
August 1, 2010 at 3:57 pm
Currently suffering in 99 deg F, my sympathies are somewhat limited.
The question is: Is it better to die from heatstroke or from frostbite?
_______________________________________________________________
Neither are any fun ( it was 99F here in NC for the last week) but I think frostbite is worse. It is VERY painful as you thaw out and the damage never goes away completely. With heat stroke you feel awful but you are not usually screaming in pain as you recover. (cool shower) That why I moved south among other reasons.

Jimbo

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it looks like excess winter deaths in the UK have actually been coming down since 1950!

Amino Acids in Meteorites

Estimated 40000 excess deaths from cold in UK last winter
“Impacts of global cooling”
0:46 video

MattN

Something to watch: When does snow first fall in interior Russia (Siberia)?
The intense, cold winter Arctic air masses get their roots from Siberia, which is cut off from any moderating influences. The sooner snow falls there….

John F. Hultquist

I’ve long been intrigued by the notion of hearing the “Whisper of the Stars” which is possible at -50 C (-56 F) but having encountered a low of only -33 F I’m still waiting.
Search on the term “Whisper of the Stars” and you will find something interesting to read. For example:

TomRude

Western Siberia experienced 3 months of -30c temperatures this past winter, the result of HP agglutinations too.