A note of sincere thanks

I’m on my way back to the USA from my Australian speaking tour.  I’ll be offline a couple of days. There are many, many, people who I owe a debt of gratitude to, for kindnesses big and small, but, there is one person to who I owe a debt that is much more prominent.

That person is Mr. David Archibald of Perth.

David has been my constant companion throughout the grueling continent crisscrossing pace of the tour, sorting out and correcting details, making sure I was where I needed to be when I needed to be, fighting some idiotic travel battles we faced, and most importantly, helping me hear. This was critical in Q&A after the lectures.

Without him, I would have been lost. He’s a gentleman, a scholar, and I count him as a friend. David, I cannot thank you enough.

That said, there’s something WUWT readers can do that can show gratitude on my behalf, while learning something in the process.

David spoke right along side me at each stop, and created an excellent presentation from the work he has done on his just printed book The Past and Future of Climate.

I’ll review this book in a future post, I’ve read a personal copy he gave me and it reads very well. Like WUWT, this book is heavy on illustrations. There’s not only some very interesting solar research, but some points on climate as well.

For example this illustration (from his slide show) is very interesting:

On my recommendation, if you wish, you can download an order form here:

The Past and Future of Climate – order form

He offers the book for $30AU post paid, and advises that he’ll also ship internationally as well. You can also visit his website at http://davidarchibald.info/

When I do my review, he’ll have an order form that can be used via PayPal, until then, direct by postal mail or PayPal via email contact are the only options.

Again my sincere thanks to David for his unfailing help, good cheer, and pathfinding. I hope WUWT readers can express thanks also.

janama

Anthony – I had this dreadful dream that you and David were shacked up in that tiny double bed in that run down hotel in Brisbane.
It’s nice to know it was yet another climate change nightmare 🙂
Thank you for your tour and your contribution to the sceptical cause here in Australia. – I thoroughly enjoyed your talk at surfers paradise and the opportunity to meet you face to face.

Stephan

Unfortunately for some good o’l DA has been the only one that got nearly all the predictions right (except the 0.4c temp drop ). The solar SSN is on course to max ~40. The temps anomaly will likely fall more than 0.4C in coming months see R spencer SST

The above Armagh graph may look conclusive, the Armagh’s temperatures (same as the CETs) are substantially result of the Gulf current’s strength.
Investigating month by month CETs no definitive conclusion can be made.
Here is 300 year CET monthly record overlaid with the sunspot cycle.

rokshox

“…and most importantly, helping me hear”
Because of the accent?

DirkH

You skeptics… you’re in the pocket of Big Book!

Will there be an electronic edition?
Well done DA, thanks for looking after the skipper down under.

Roger Carr

David’s best quote, to me, is:

Our generation has known a warm, giving Sun, but the next generation will suffer a Sun that is less giving, and the Earth will be less fruitful.

Solar Cycle 24: Implications for the United States
David Archibald — International Conference on Climate Change — March, 2008

Lawrie Ayres

Was at the Newcastle presentation. Enlightening but also a confirmation that Anthony and co are real people not just a name on a blog. I was fortunate enough to win a copy of David’s book.
Tallbloke There is a shorter e-version which I found here http://www.warwickhughes.com/agri/Solar_Arch_NY_Mar2_08.pdf
the book is two years more up to date. I’ve sent it to a number of friends who found the explanations and graphs convincing.

Chris1958

Molon labe – now that’s an intriguing name – a reference to Leonidas and the 300 Spartans defending the pass at Thermopylae. Translates roughly as ‘Come and get it’ and in modern Greek pronounced approximately as Molon Lahve. What’s more, Australians have a direct connection with Thermopylae – they fought at Thermopylae as part of the British fighting retreat from the German advance through Greece in April 1941. Off topic, I realise, but thems fighting words and I can’t resist being just a little curious.

Pingo

UK next Anthony!

David, UK

Pingo said:
July 3, 2010 at 3:03 am
UK next Anthony!

I second that.

Les Francis

David, UK says:
Pingo said
UK next Anthony!
I second that.

Easy go there fellas. Anthony has just finished a bruising schedule flying back and forth and up and down a country the size of the continental U.S. He will need at least a weeks worth possibly more to catch up on rest. Probably wont be able to do the U.K. / Europe until next year.
Well done Anthony and D.A. plus his extra helpers in having a very successful foray into the Antipodes. Next time Anthony heads this way I hope he has a more relaxing time.

Gail Combs

vukcevic says:
July 3, 2010 at 1:04 am
Investigating month by month CETs no definitive conclusion can be made.
Here is 300 year CET monthly record overlaid with the sunspot cycle.
___________________________________________________
Yes but is there a lag? Looking at your graph there seems to be a lag.
stevengoddard asked Dr Roy Spencer:
Why is there lag between SST and TLT temperatures?
His response was enlightening:
“Steven:
1) sun warms ocean, then
2) ocean warms atmosphere
Actually, you would not see a time lag between ocean and tropospheric temperatures if this process was at a constant rate at all times. But there are episodic variations in the process, driven mostly by tropical intraseasonal oscillations. The oceans get unusually warm, then the troposphere starts overturning a little faster, evaporating more water from the ocean and dumping the extra latent heat in the troposphere.”

Since the air temperature is driven by the oceans and the oceans act as a giant “capacitor” absorbing heat, redistributing it and then discharging it to the troposphere in El Nino events there is no direct and distinct sun – temperature correlations.
That does not take into account the confounding effects of clouds not to mention your information about the effects of changes in the earth’s magnetic field. I am sure there are a lot of other variables like volcanoes and plankton
If some one showed me a graph where solar activity exactly matched the global temperature I would be highly suspicious. The confounding effects of other dependent and independent variables guarantee there will not be a 100% correlation and that is why CO2, which is also dependent on ocean temperature, can be made a scapegoat so easily.

Christoph

Lawrie — I realize a rose by any other name is just as sweet — Lawrie \la(w)-rie\ is a variant of Lawrence (Latin), and the meaning of Lawrie is “from Laurentum”. Lawrie is an uncommon first name for men but a very common last name for both men and women.
Off topic, I realiZe, but them names have a long history and I can’t resist being just a little smartalecky.
Anyway, I’m just teasing. I didn’t know that the Australians and British fought at Thermopylae too. That is fascinating.
Lucky them!

In the latest magazine published by the Norwegian Astronomy Association there are several plots showing the same thing: The longer the sunspot cycle, the colder it is in the next cycle. There were plots for locations all over Norway, all of the showing the same trend. The conclusion: The next decade will be cold in Norway. The first half of 2010 may already show what to come; it was colder than the relatively cold 1961-90 normal. Even if this is a local phenomenon for the North Atlantic such a strong relationship would be interesting. On the other hand, the temperature records in Norway are pretty short, there exists very few 19th century records and stations have moved, so the evidence is somewhat weak. And no physical explanation was proposed. I would love to see a similar study for stations with a long record, such as in the UK and Sweden. Then the claim could get some substance (or not).

Joe Lalonde

Anthony,
Don’t forget you have friends to the north of you as well.
I wish to thank you for your work in keeping science honest. Without you and others, government policies would go through on bogus science and we ALL would be paying the price.
Going through the effort to be informative rather than make a buck.
Al Gore and others are in it for the buck and charge accordingly and it is not even their science fields.

Henry chance

……….fighting some idiotic travel battles we faced, and most importantly, helping me hear.,,,,,,,,,,
Until last year, the Warmistas were screaming. The histrionic incidents from Hansen, Romm, Algore told us they had no intention of hearing, listening or learning.

Loco

Once again, thanks for your great presentations Down Under. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you in Perth, Western Australia. I agree with you re David Archibald. He stayed at the marina I manage (Port Bouvard Marina – Western Australia) and gave me a copy of his first book, “Solar Cycle 24”. It opened my eyes to alternatives regarding climate change. I went searching and discovered WUWT, Climate Audit, Jo Nova and many others. I’ve never looked back. Never have so many owed so much to so few! Cheers, Kim.

Gail Combs says: July 3, 2010 at 4:24 am
In my view the UK summer months are more likely to respond directly to the solar activity then the rest of the year when the Gulf Stream is predominant. http://www.vukcevic.talktalk.net/CETm.htm
In tropics response to the sun is probably more or less constant throughout the year, the higher latitudes would depend on the rate the Gulf Stream is pumping warm water.
One could also speculate that the saline warm waters are likely to be impeded by the magnetic field; since the GMF is variable than the CETs would respond appropriately.
http://www.vukcevic.talktalk.net/CETlmt.htm (with reversed scale for GMF )
Cumulative effect of rising solar activity (rising temperature in the Equatorial Atlantic) and dramatic fall in strength of the Earth’s magnetic field may have caused sudden uplift in temperatures in early 1700’s.
Next rapid decline in GMF was 1910-1950 and then from 1975 – present.

Gail Combs

Roger Carr says:
July 3, 2010 at 2:14 am
David’s best quote, to me, is:
Solar Cycle 24: Implications for the United States
David Archibald — International Conference on Climate Change — March, 2008
_________________________________________________________________
It is why the wealthy have taken his advice to heart and are buying up farmland. I first saw this advice in 2008, here it is again:
“Morgan Stanley research guru turned hedge fund manager Barton Biggs… advises that you buy a farm a good distance away from a city and, he advises, make sure that your doomsday safe-haven:
* Be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food
* Be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc
And get a gun, he says, because “a few rounds over the approaching brigands’ heads would probably be a compelling persuader that there are easier farms to pillage.”

The problem is compounded by a few cartels intent on grabbing control of the world’s food supply and making home gardening illegal… For your own good of course.
Food Security, Farming, CAFTA and the WTO
HR 2749: WELCOME TO THE GLOBAL PLANTATION
OFFICIAL UN/WTO information supporting above article:
UN/WTO Guide to Good Farming Practices
Patenting of seed: FAO is supporting harmonization of seed rules and regulations in Africa and Central Asia
Nicole Johnson’s well researched pieces on the threat to our food supply:
Food ‘Safety’ Reform and the Enclosure Movement
“History, HACCP and the Food Safety Con Job”
The Festering Fraud Behind Food Safety Reform
Other Articles from my collection:
Small Farmers Hold Key to Feeding the World
Undermining Abundance: The Big Business of Creating Scarcity
Stolen harvest: the hijacking of the global food supply
By Vandana Shiva

I haven’t had an opportunity to read David Archibald’s book yet, but can attest to the fact that it is a stunningly beautiful volume. Colour illustrations of high print quality, visually pleasing layout, text that is focused and to-the-point.
Rather than burying us in dump trucks of data, Archibald appears to have selected his arguments carefully for maximum impact.

Gail Combs

Loco says:
July 3, 2010 at 5:30 am
Once again, thanks for your great presentations Down Under…. It opened my eyes to alternatives regarding climate change. I went searching and discovered WUWT, Climate Audit, Jo Nova and many others. I’ve never looked back. Never have so many owed so much to so few! Cheers, Kim.
____________________________________________
I second that. Thank you Anthony, David, and the rest for your dedication to science and the truth. History, if written by honest people, will remember you as heroes.

John Innes

Molon Labe was also used as the title of a novel by “Boston T. Party” (Javelin Press, 2004), about a state standing up against an overbearing, stifling Federal government – another tyrannical “consensus”. Ripping yarn – great read. Appropriate reference. Not OT, in my view, but subject to the moderator’s ruling.
Regarding hearing, many years ago I was involved in a project where our Australian outpost of a big US company was making the parent company nervous about what we had bitten off, and they sent a very eminent and experienced engineer out to do an engineering audit. Five minutes into the discussion, he halted proceedings to say “I want you to understand that if I ask you to repeat what you said, it is because I listen with a strong North Dakota accent”. In Sydney on the tour, given the usual difficulties with an audience microphone for questions from the floor, Anthony did not let his Californian accent get in the way of attentive listening and responsive answers.

For example this illustration (from his slide show) is very interesting
You can always count on D.A. to do sloppy, misleading work. Figure 5 strongly suggest that during SC22 the temperature was 9.6C and during SC23 it was 8.2. In actual fact the numbers were: SC22: 9.50, SC23: 9.97.

anna v

Steinar Midtskogen says:
July 3, 2010 at 4:36 am
In the link given above,
Archibald has compiled a number of such plots from Europe and the US.
They are intriguing. There is strong opposition by Leif that this is a phenomenon that can predict the next cycle’s temperature. I expect he will come in strongly with a link to his global plot that even shows the opposite effect.
On the other hand, miners with a canary in a cage note that it is suffocating and run away, because it means there is monoxide and worse on the the floor. This does not mean that the average global canaries on the floor will be suffocating: it has to be a mine and a particular mine at that.
It might be that regions that display this statistically significant behavior are like canaries, and their message is lost in averaging over the globe.
On a more serious note, one should try and see what is common to stations that show this behavior, with respect to other variables, like distance from ocean and jet streams etc.

anna v says:
July 3, 2010 at 7:08 am
Even better. Simply plot 11-yr mean Armagh temps versus min-to-min solar lengths:
SC23 is not quite complete for Armargh [so is marked by a pink square].
Data from: [Length http://www.stat.psu.edu/reports/2005/tr0504.pdf
Temps http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/browse/badc/armagh/data/air_temperature/mean_annual_temp/tm-an-maxmin-dtr.dat ]

anna v

Leif Svalgaard says:
July 3, 2010 at 7:00 am

For example this illustration (from his slide show) is very interesting

But Leif, isn’t the point that the temperature ploted for the length of 22 is the temperature of cycle 23, and the 8.2 is the prediction for the cycle 24 temperature from the length of cycle 23?
Maybe it needs a label (22,23) (length, temperature), instead of just “22 “(23,24) instead of “23”.

anna v says:
July 3, 2010 at 7:47 am
But Leif, isn’t the point that the temperature plotted for the length of 22 is the temperature of cycle 23, and the 8.2 is the prediction for the cycle 24 temperature from the length of cycle 23?
That is not what the labels say [but with Archibald, you never know 🙂 ]. If you shift the data by one solar cycle, you get 8.97 degrees for the next 11 years, not 8.2. It just doesn’t add up [as expected]. It doesn’t matter that the book is printed on high-quality paper, when its contents is of low quality.

Leif Svalgaard:

I think the temperature is meant to suggest what the temperature will be after the cycle, and we have to wait ten years or so to know that. If there was a correlation between SC length and the temperature during it, it would be pretty useless for making a temperature prediction, wouldn’t it, unless we can precisely predict the cycle length in advence. My understanding of the argument is that since SC22 was unusually short and SC23 was unusually long, we should be going from some unusually warm years to some unusually cold ones (during SC24).

Gail Combs

vukcevic says:
July 3, 2010 at 5:40 am
In tropics response to the sun is probably more or less constant throughout the year, the higher latitudes would depend on the rate the Gulf Stream is pumping warm water…..
_____________________________________________________
Thanks for the response.You seem to have the correct idea. Instead of looking at Global climate change look at regions. My state (North Carolina) is certainly dominated by the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation
North to south through the middle of the state
North – Raleigh NC
Middle – Fayetteville NC
South – Lumberton NC
Unless of course the weather station is sitting at an airport.
href=”http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/gistemp_station.py?id=425723080040&data_set=1&num_neighbors=1″>Norfolk City and Norfolk International Airport

Gail Combs

Sorry, I goofed on the HTML tags
Norfolk City
Norfolk International Airport

Leif Svalgaard says: July 3, 2010 at 7:38 am
anna v says: July 3, 2010 at 7:08 am
………………
The 300 year monthly CETs show that there is some response to solar cycle (usually in summer months, (when the sun is at its highest above horizon) but not always; occasionally it is totally reverse.
Inconclusive !
see also:

Björn

Gail Comb says:
July 3, 2010 at 5:43 am
“….. This and the take over of our food supply by the international cartels has been giving me nightmares for half a decade. ……”
————————-
well few days back I stumbled over a short article at website run by Credit Suisse with the title
“The Hunt for Land Has Already Started”
that set some red lights blinking in my brain, I do not rally know what to make of it but it appears appears to me as the big players with money surplus money on hand , be it countries or corporations , are out to use that money to grab possession of all of the worlds farmland ( arable land ) they can get their hands on either through direct buy or long term lease arrangements. (And the bankers drooling to get a part of the action as facilitators. ) . So perhaps there is good reason to have nightmares.
Link to the page is below

John Blake

Given the “chaotic” nature of complex dynamic systems [Lorenz, 1960 – ’64], juxtaposing planetary atmospheric-ocean temperatures with sunspot cycles regardless of cloud cover and other significant variables provides a valid qualitative rather than quantitative correspondence, indicative rather than definitive of future circumstance.
Over extended time-frames, all linear and sinusoidal projections inevitably exhibit fallacies of “inferred precision” and “persistence”. In nature, crude and vulgar estimates trump 3-digit derivations every time, while the notion that “natura non saltis fecit” (Nature makes no sudden leaps) ignores “punctuated equilibrium” in terms of historically abrupt and dramatic climate shifts. Over some 2.6-million years, Pleistocene ice ages interspersed with median 12,250-year “Long Summers” such as our current Holocene Interglacial Epoch have been quite well-defined.
Whatever drives these swings, the fact is that if not for the 1,500-year Younger Dryas “cold shock” ending c. BC 7300, Earth would likely have reverted to miles-deep continental glaciations about AD 450, coincident with the Fall of Rome.
Given a pending 70-year “dead sun” Maunder Minimum similar to that of 1645 – 1715, odds are that Planet Earth is overdue for a cyclical chill-phase lasting some 102,000 years.

Murray Duffin

Vuk, the relationship in question is cycle length vs temp, not sunspot number vs temp.
Leif, Vuk, why has no one plotted rate of change vs temp instead of cycle length. Probably one would have to look at both ascending and descending rates of change. It seems to me that the rate of change might be a better indicator of solar activity than either cycle length or sunspot number. Murray

Murray Duffin says:
July 3, 2010 at 8:47 am
why has no one plotted rate of change vs temp instead of cycle length.
You mean dT/dt vs. T? And no sunspot number whatsoever?
The game is not to keep trying this and trying that, until by chance you get something you like [you know, people trying 20 things and finding one relation that is significant at the 95% level – which is what chance would give you with 20 things].

Steinar Midtskogen says:
July 3, 2010 at 8:11 am
See, how D.A. has misled you. What he has been saying is that since he [following what blows in the wind] predicts Sc24 to be very low [and hence longer than even SC23] that we are in for a severe cooling. This is based on a flawed Figure.

Murray Duffin says: July 3, 2010 at 8:47 am
I think cycle length has only meaning if you assume energy integration. A short powerful cycle like SC 19 input far more energy into the ‘climate system’ than slightly longer but much weaker once, such as SC 13 &14.
I am sure Dr. S. could give you more scientific answer.
Gail Combs says: July 3, 2010 at 8:12 am
The graphs relate to the CET (Central England temperatures), for which accuratelog term data are available. This is the area enclosed by triangle Lancashire, London and Bristol.
Global averaging temperatures are a bit of nonsense.

The real value to Archibald’s work is his willingness to stand up against a caterwaul of catastrophism, to speak out against international hoaxes, and to engage people in debate that would otherwise be stifled.
You can nit-pick his science, but you cannot fault his courage and dedication to the common good. When others equivocated, David Archibald shone like a lighthouse. His struggle is our struggle. He is a hero to mankind.

John Finn

Leif Svalgaard says:
July 3, 2010 at 7:00 am
For example this illustration (from his slide show) is very interesting

You’re right, leif. But if you challenge David on this he moves the goalposts. He claims that the temperature decline will happne over then next solar cycle (SC24). However this is not the way Butler & Johnson have presented the analysis since they clearly state that the data points are the 11 year mean temperatures centred on the maximum and minimum of the solar cycle (see legend).
In any case if David’s ‘method’ was correct we should have seen a drop in temperatures over solar cycle 21, since that followed SC20 (the ‘long’ cycle). David Archibald’s work is full of holes. I’m surprised Anthony promotes it so readily.

John Finn

Stephan says:
July 3, 2010 at 12:51 am

In ~2006 David has also predicted a 2 deg decline in temperatures over “the next few years”.

Gail Combs

Björn says:
July 3, 2010 at 8:31 am
Gail Comb says:
July 3, 2010 at 5:43 am
————————-
“The Hunt for Land Has Already Started”
_________________________________________________________________
Thanks for the link.
I and a bunch of other farmers worldwide have been following this issue for several years. Believe me there is a very good reason to have nightmares. Here are a few:
Thanks to NAFTA “According to a study by Jose Romero and Alicia Puyana carried out for the federal government of Mexico, between 1992 and 2002, the number of agricultural households fell an astounding 75% – from 2.3 million to 575, 000 click (Well that accounts for a few million illegals in the USA.)
A Farmer is Committing Suicide Every 32 Minutes
“Now the full toll—surely among the largest sustained waves of suicides in human history—is becoming apparent. And as Sainath emphasizes, these numbers still underestimate the disaster, since women farmers are excluded from the official statistics… It is important that the figure of 150,000 farm suicides is a bottom line estimate…. As Professor Nagaraj puts it: “There is likely to be a serious underestimation of suicides…what has driven the huge increase in farm suicides, particularly in the Big Four or ’Suicide SEZ’ States? “Overall,” says Professor Nagaraj, “there exists since the mid-90s, an acute agrarian crisis. That’s across the country. In the Big Four and some other states, specific factors compound the problem…. Cultivation costs have shot up in these high input zones, with some inputs seeing cost hikes of several hundred per cent… Meanwhile, prices have crashed, as in the case of cotton, due to massive U.S.-EU subsidies to their growers. All due to price rigging with the tightening grip of large corporations over the trade in agricultural commodities.” click
Europe is also targeted as well as the other western countries.
“After clearing her throat and leaning slowly forward, the chair-lady said: “I don’t think you understand what EU policy is. ….. To do this it will be necessary to shift around one million farmers off the land
There in a nutshell you have the whole tragic story of the clinically instigated demise of European farming over the past three decades. We protested that with unemployment running at 20 percent how would one provide jobs for another million farmers dumped on the streets of Warsaw? This was greeted with a stony silence, eventually broken by a lady from Portugal, who rather quietly remarked that since Portugal joined the European Union, 60 percent of small farmers had already left the land. “The European Union is simply not interested in small farms,” she said.”
click
“Today I resigned from the staff of the International Monetary Fund after over 12 years, and after 1000 days of official fund work in the field, hawking your medicine and your bag of tricks to governments and to peoples in Latin America and the Caribbean and Africa. To me, resignation is a priceless liberation, for with it I have taken the first big step to that place where I may hope to wash my hands of what in my mind’s eye is the blood of millions of poor and starving peoples. Mr. Camdessus, the blood is so much, you know, it runs in rivers. It dries up too; it cakes all over me; sometimes I feel that there is not enough soap in the whole world to cleanse me from the things that I did do in your name and in the name of your predecessors, and under your official seal.
With those words, Davison Budhoo, a senior economist with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for more than 12 years, publicly resigned in May, 1988….”
click
The World bank/IMF Structural Adjustment Programs are what Mr. Budhoo is talking about click
“SAPs often result in deep cuts in programmes like education, health and social care, and the removal of subsidies designed to control the price of basics such as food and milk. So SAPs hurt the poor most, because they depend heavily on these services and subsidies.
SAPs encourage countries to focus on the production and export of primary commodities such as cocoa and coffee to earn foreign exchange. But these commodities have notoriously erratic prices subject to the whims of global markets which can depress prices just when countries have invested in these so-called ‘cash crops’.
By devaluing the currency and simultaneously removing price controls, the immediate effect of a SAP is generally to hike prices up three or four times, increasing poverty to such an extent that riots are a frequent result.

Mike D. says:
July 3, 2010 at 10:04 am
As Stephen Schneider famously said “its OK to lie a bit to get your message across”.

John Finn

Steinar Midtskogen says:
July 3, 2010 at 8:11 am

Leif Svalgaard:

That’s not what the graph says – and it’s not the way B&J did the original regression analysis. David Archibald just makes it up as he goes along.

Mike D. says:
July 3, 2010 at 10:04 am
His struggle is our struggle.
And his lie is our lie.

Leif Svalgaard says:

Well, my attention was on statements like “Solar Cycle 22 was 9.5 years long. On the basis that Solar Cycle 23 is thirteen years long, there will be a 2.2 degree celcius decline in temperature in Hanover, New Hampshire over the next decade”. He may be, probably is, wrong about the physics determining solar activity and climate changes, but that doesn’t prove that there can’t be some (unexplained) correlation between the length of a cycle and temperatures during the next (locally or globally). Which is what caught my attention.

Steinar Midtskogen says:
July 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm
He may be, probably is, wrong about the physics
He is wrong in Figure 5 as presented here. I see blue and green lines marking blue [SC22] (9.6,9.6) and green [SC23] (12.5,8.2). Neither of these values are correct (as I said). This is bad ‘science’, bad for WUWT, bad for skeptics, bad for everybody. And should be bad for D.A., too.

Leif Svalgaard says:

He is wrong in Figure 5 as presented here. […] This is bad ‘science’

The Y-axis simply states “mean temperature”, not for which period. I agree that it could be clearer, but I don’t think it makes it bad science (or ‘science’) for that reason, to require the reader to read the text as well (which also could be more explicit). I’d rather say it’s poorly communicated. Many years at university and exams have taught me that also real scientists may lack writing skills though their understanding of the science is impeccable.
Anyway, even if D.A. did everything wrong, that hasn’t convinced me that there is no correlation between cycle length and temperature during the next cycle.

Steinar Midtskogen says:
July 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm
The Y-axis simply states “mean temperature”, not for which period.
The caption underneath the Figure states: “The mean temperature at Armagh for 11 year intervals, centred on years of sunspot maximum…”
D.A. does not lack in writing skills, but in understanding of the science
And what convinces you that there is?

Enneagram

Dear Anthony, with Dr.Archibald´s constant company, check if you are not already in free fall around the barycenter. ☺