I’ve mentioned in the past that my weather technology business has been hit hard by the current economy and that from time to time I would be using WUWT to announce new products or product reviews that might interest readers. Here’s my latest invention that turns any LCD monitor or TV into a private “live” weather radar channel by simply attaching this appliance to the rear and plugging it in. A number of customers for our regular StormPredator software have done similar setups with spare PC’s to provide radar displays at their home or office, but until now, there was never any simple and affordable way to just add the radar channel to an existing monitor or TV.
The cool part is that there is no subscription fee to get any of this imagery. Coverage is USA nationwide with 155 NEXRAD radar locations available.
StormPredator Radar Appliance for Desktop or Wall mounted LCD monitors and TV’s
Above: the StormPredator Radar Appliance automatically updates and loops the radar imagery.
Click image to see larger image showing terrain and storm detail.
What is it?
The StormPredator Radar Appliance is a small, self contained automatic appliance that connects to any LCD monitor or TV with a SVGA port or HDMI port and turns it into a dedicated 24/7 weather radar display.
It mounts directly to the rear of the LCD monitor/TV using the included VESA mount. Once setup, the StormPredator Radar Appliance will run continuously and unattended to provide live radar coverage of the area you select. It uses a special version of our popular StormPredator desktop software designed for unattended continuous operation.
A typical setup is to use your big screen TV normally with CATV or satellite, but to add this unit into a spare HDMI input or the SVGA input if your TV has one. You can easily switch back and forth from that input and live TV or if your TV offers a “picture in picture” feature, you can have a small radar window onscreen with live TV.
What else is it useful for?
Anywhere needing storm tracking at a glance. Unlike watching a cable TV channel like “The Weather Channel” you don’t have to wait for them to get around to showing your area of interest. For example: Radio stations that offer live weather reports can benefit by having “live doppler radar” to refer to at any moment.
Is the radar imagery really free?
Yes! Our system takes freely available raw radar data from NOAA’s National Weather Service and combines it with our stunning terrain imagery to produce a high quality presentation.
There are no fees for the data – ever. All you need is a working wired or wireless Internet connection to receive the data and start displaying your own radar channel.
Other applications include:
- Interstate truck stops, rest areas, and restaurants that cater to travelers
- Dispatch centers where weather is a factor in planning operations
- Hotels/motels that want to offer a lobby display
- Airports that want to add live radar to the flight schedule displays
- Local or in-house cable TV channels that wish to offer a live local radar channel
- Radio stations that report live weather, but who cannot afford a radar or radar service
- TV stations for offering a live local radar on a secondary HDTV channel
- Golf courses and other outdoor recreation facilities that need to track weather for safety
- Agricultural operations that have workers in the field
- Utilities that need to track storms in operations centers
What are the advantages of the StormPredator appliance?
- Works with your existing network, wired or wireless WiFi
- Setup in minutes, no special skills or tools required
- Operates like a web browser silently fetching and updating images
- Intelligent updater updates only images that change – low bandwidth impact
- Uses the NOAA national NEXRAD network – public data – NO subscription fees
- Nationwide coverage including Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico
- Continuous unattended 24/7 operation
- Near silent operation (cooling fan at 26 decibels), internal automatic housekeeping
- Small, thin, low power – mounts anywhere – mounting hardware included
- No user interaction or mouse/keyboard input required
- Gives radio stations the ability to have their own live Doppler Radar Weather
- Custom basemaps with additional towns/locations can be imported
- Will automatically export the radar image as a still or animation to your web page
- Images are brandable as your own local radar service with your text/logo
- Customizable to send email/pager/cell phone alerts on severe weather detection
- Can also be operated interactively for tracking if desired, has all the interactive features of our desktop application available when used this way.
Want one? See more specs and order it here
Fathers day is coming up, which is a perfect excuse to buy one for yourself since you really didn’t need another tie anyway.
Oh, and no, I don’t have a radar appliance that tracks Al Gore…yet.