Requesting some assistance

As some people may or may not know, I am a full member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in good standing. The AGU fall meeting is coming up, and I hope to attend so that I can cover what is being presented in the world of climate science, while keeping tabs on the antics of people like Michael Mann, Peter Gleick, and some of the other players.

2013 AGU Fall Meeting

There’s only one problem.

It is VERY expensive to attend. Just the registration alone costs $415.

AGU_registration

Add a hotel for 3 days at the typical $150-200 per night rate in SFO, plus incidentals, and the cost to attend easily tops $1000. I’ll drive down to save money rather than take a plane.

While many attendees get the taxpayers (via their Universities) or their NGO’s via donors to pay for such things, WUWT has no such resources, and despite the claims common from detractors, we are still waiting for that ‘big oil check’ to arrive.

So, I thought I’d ask the readership if they can help out so that there will be somebody at AGU to report on climate science that can do so from the skeptic side. I anticipate there will be much follow-on science claims from the upcoming AR5 report, so there is likely to be ample items of interest. I envision a number of segments for WUWT-TV to be put up here.

As a side note, I hope to be able to do a WUWT get together/dinner to thank moderators and contributors as was done almost two years ago and any additional funds received will be put towards that.

Thanks for your consideration, and most of all thanks for reading WUWT.
Donations gratefully accepted: here

The goal has been met, and exceeded, and I am forever grateful to those who have been so very kind to help in this endeavor. The kindness on display has been both overwhelming and humbling. – Anthony

About these ads
This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

236 Responses to Requesting some assistance

1. Jimmy Haigh. says:

Done. All the best!

2. David Borth says:

Done. Hope you get enough to bring a small gift home for the wife and kids. Best of luck Anthony!

3. Jumbofoot says:

Done. Thank you for all you do.

4. geran says:

Do you have a PO Box, if we prefer cash?

5. sagi says:

Also try the press/media registration, Anthony, which is free, and you certainly should qualify.

It would be a most newsworthy item if they think you don’t!

REPLY: I tried way back in 2007, but they didn’t consider WUWT to be “bona fide” then. I doubt they’ll approve now, but it is worth it I suppose just to get an answer again. – Anthony

6. John Whitman says:

I attended last year’s Fall AGU meeting in SF.

It was worthwhile to see many of the main players in the climate dialog.

I plan on attending again this year.

Anthony, I hope to see you there.

John

7. Rob Long says:

I read this site every day. Best $30 I’ve spent in a while. Thank you Anthony, and good luck at the conference.

8. David L. says:

What? Big Oil isn’t funding you heavily for this? Oh well, here’s some help from a guy who drives a big SUV.

9. ralph selman says:

Done. Here’s $50. Keep up the great work

10. Karl Juve says:

Done. Thanks for everything that you do

11. John W says:

Done…..keep up the fight!

12. Chip Javert says:

Probably the best investments I’ve made all year…

13. Africa Tom says:

Done! Thanks for asking and thanks for keeping the world informed!

14. LearDog says:

Thanks for alll you do, Anthony. My small part to help….

15. Dave Kamakaris says:

Because of this site, I grind every ecocondriac, envirowacko, and warmista I come into contact with into dust. Totally my pleasure to donate.

Keep up the great work, Anthony, and be sure to let us know what the Mannians are up to.

16. oldseadog says:

Done.
    Do they allow questions from the floor?
    Will you be allowed to speak?
    If so, I wish I could be there.

17. Brian Adams says:

Done, but fair warning – I may be associated with Big Oil (I own three automobiles powered by gasoline.)

18. Joe Public says:

Done. As the UK’s largest supermarket is fond of telling everyone…………

“Every little helps”

19. albertalad says:

$50.00 done.

20. Brad says:

Done. Not a lot, but hope it helps.

21. TimC says:

Anthony – not being familiar with the US tax code I thought I would ask whether there is some way of making a “contribution” that is more tax effective than other ways – for example asking in comments that it should be used solely to defray WUWT business expenses, or perhaps your time in researching topics for future articles – or whatever. Would this help, or am I barking entirely up the wrong tree …?

22. Stephen Richards says:

$50 done but I’m not sure my old heart will be able to stand the report back. Have fun !!

23. Kees van der Pool says:

done!

24. Chuck in Houston says:

$20 on the way. Thank you so much for all of your efforts here. WUWT has been absolutely invaluable to me over the past several years.

25. Mariss says:

Done.

26. Paul Nottingham says:

You must have almost enough already Anthony.

Why not leave the appeal open and build a war-chest fo you or others to attend these kind of meetings?

27. matthu says:

Done.
    I look forward to reading all about it!

28. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

Put a solar panel on the roof of your electric car, drive it over to Chico State University, park it with a locked donation box and a sign saying you’re collecting money for global warming research, which is perfectly true.

Heck, pull one from the “opposition” playbook. A tragedy from yesterday 8/27, a female student was killed right on the CSU campus by a large falling oak tree branch.

Mention on the sign how the increased atmospheric CO₂ may have increased the growth rate of the branch which could have caused it to fall unexpectedly. Which is also technically true.

Hey, since you’re driving there, why not take the electric car and collect as you go?

29. Marcel Crok says:

Hi Anthony
    I am 99% percent sure you should get a free media pass; this will also give you access to the press briefings and the press room; I would be very surprised if they refuse this; they will have far more media exposure than most other journalists can give them.
    Marcel

REPLY: Thanks, I’ve submitted it using my press credential from Deer Creek Broadcasting/KPAY radio where I have been employed for ten years. We’ll see. Like I said I tried in 2007, but WUWT by itself wasn’t a “bona fide” media outlet. Now given its reach, as you point out it likely would be. Still, they wanted a business card and traditional media affiliation, so they have that now. I’ll file radio stories as well. We’ll see what happens. Still just the hotel bill alone was almost $800 through the AGU, so in any event I’ll need some help. – Anthony

30. TC says:

A small token of my appreciation for all the work you and your colleagues do.

31. Mike J says:

I’m a long time lurker. It’s about time I tried to help (one of) the voice(s) of reason.

32. Kevin Lohse says:

Thrown my mite into the pot. If there’s any over, use it as you think fit. Enjoy your conference.

33. Marty Sorensen says:

Done. Politely tweak some of the alarmists while you’re there.

34. Andy Young says:

Best usd30 I’ve spent in a long time ! Many thanks Anthony

35. William Norton says:

I would like to contribute but there is a lot of private information required to donate by Visa. The stores do not ask for my phone number and address when I use Visa, why does this site?

36. techgm says:

Done. Money well spent.

37. Daniel Wisehart says:

Done. Wish I could send more.

38. johnbuk says:

$50 from the UK, sorry I can’t be there but you’d do a better job than me anyway. Given the amount of time I spend on your site and the reams of info I get from there I still owe you.
    Sock it to them and I look forward to the reports.
    PS when the inevitable Big Oil Cheque arrives don’t worry about repayment, an invite to your new yacht will be just fine ;-)

39. MinB says:

Given the hotel bill is the major part of your expense, can a Bay Area reader provide you guest accommodations? I understand this might not be your first choice, but… I live in Boulder and am happy to offer you same if you visit here.

40. F. Schlobohm says:

Done. Good luck and all the best!!
    Friedhelm Schlobohm

41. Paul Westhaver says:

Tried to donate Anthony but the Paypal portal insists on getting a phone number from me.

Ain’t gonna happen.

So I will send you a paper check and even give you my number. Paypal is not going to be privy to my number.

Address for snail mail?

Also Samuel Clemens was attributed with the phrase [the coldest winter I spent was a summer in San Francisco]… so a winter in San Francisco is even less appealing especially Union Square and the miasma of old leftist urine.

Have fun!

42. Hoser says:

I agree, it’s a good idea use any excess to support various projects and people. A nonprofit org would be great!

43. AndySharp says:

Done as well….

44. William Norton says:

Willard? I used pay pal so all is well. Give’m hell.

45. Lady in Red says:

I don’t “do” PayPal. MasterCard…? or give me an address and I’ll send a check.

I never stayed in “AGU-arranged” hotels. Much too expensive. Look around; you’ll find cheaper…. Or, is there a WUWT fan who’ll gladly house a celebrity? ….Lady in Red

46. Jerry Haney says:

I donated $100, it is a small amount when compared to all you have done for science.

47. Don says:

Done. Glad to help with this.

48. disenfranchisedofbuckingham says:

OK, done

49. Foxgoose says:

Done

Have a good trip.

Say Hi to Pete & Mikey for me ;-)

50. Carrick says:

Lady in Red:

I don’t “do” PayPal.

You can use PayPal to run a credit card. AFAIK, you still need a paypal account to do this, but it’s relatively trivial to get. You just need a valid email, and it doesn’t obligate you for anything else…

51. Reed Coray says:

Done.

52. Done, thanks for everything Anthony.

53. Richards in Vancouver says:

Done.
    If they have a costume party, go as a freshly-painted Stevenson screen.

54. Brian Adams says:

Uh oh! SFO may not have drinking water by the time you get there. My advice is to repair to the hotel bar and make heavy play amongst the distilled spirits.

55. Bad News Quillan says:

Done.
    Don’t the awards count for anything as a journalist?

–Bad News

56. Mikeyj says:

For truth, justice, and the American way.Please tell them to stop burning our food for fuel.

57. JoanieB says:

Sent a little bit, wish it could be more. Keep up the good work, Anthony! Looking forward to your report.

58. Bob MacLean says:

Modest contribution from a senior citizen who really appreciates what you’re doing to prevent his grandchildren being condemned to a life of green taxed poverty!

59. strike says:

Done!

Anthony, if You ever need a bed in Hamburg, Germany, it would be a pleasure to be Your host.

60. Robert Scott says:

Anthony

I’ve just posted 20usd your way for this and do so without any compunction as I know it’s for a justified cause.

May I ask that you post for all out here an auditable breakdown of the contributions so as to pre-empt those who will make sneering accusations concerning your funding. I also say this because you must have many silent supporters like me and there is a distinct likelihood that your expenses will be met several times over. If so, a summary of the contributions might just relay to all those on the other side the true extent of the support you have from us ordinary, concerned individuals.

All the best.

61. Done – and thanks Anthony, finally got a PayPal account…

62. hunter says:

Done & done.

63. Alvin W says:

Done. Loved that video you posted where you gave a very good summary and were able to say, “watts up, docs?”

64. Milan Salek says:

Done with pleasure. Thank you for pursuing the truth.

65. Joe Haberman says:

Glad to help.

66. Scot says:

The infuriating thing about these conference fees is that we’ve all paid taxes to indirectly subsidize these trips for people like Mann, then have to pay again just to try and obtain some balance.

I really wish there were a way to take those tax dollars and direct them to researchers and institutions of our choice. Same thing should happen with education funding in general.

Call it “taxpayer directed spending”.

67. Bob Ryan says:

A ton on its way via Paypall – thanks for all your efforts.

68. oakwood says:

Done. I was inspired by having just waded through Mann’s crocodile tear filled book on ‘Climate Wars’ etc, in which he constantly claims the whole climate change skeptic case is financed by Big Oil.
    Keep up the good work Anthony.

69. Okay, there ya go. Money well spent. Take notes and pictures. And thanks for all the time you put in on this site!

70. Fred says:

done . . . appreciate what you do, how you do it and just because you do it.

71. Resourceguy says:

Done, I love the reference pages.

72. mark wagner says:

Done.

Someone earlier mentioned a not-for-profit. As a CPA skeptic, I would donate my services to filing the necessary paperwork. Although, that is only part of what would be necessary (board of directors, officers, treasury, etc.) and I would recommend a more “tax friendly” state outside CA. Contact me offline if interested.

73. Resourceguy says:

@Mikeyj
    Yes, tell them that for me too.

74. Jeff D says:

$50 in the kitty, have a cold one for me.

If possible add the following text to that stupid little name badge they make you wear :)

” CO2 Yeah Right…”

75. Scott Scarborough says:

Donated $20.00

76. Paul Nottingham says:

I would be surprised if less than $2,000 had been donated so far. But if you haven’t sent anything yet and are able to do so, I’m sure that a good use can be found for it.

77. Joe Brown says:

Done – $50 and well worth it

78. Aphan says:

Sorry it wasn’t more, but it looks like you’re GOING as our representative! Have fun…oh, and if you see Cook “et al”, tell them more people participated in getting you to the conference than participated in their idiotic study. :-)

79. Mark Bofill says:

Done, a pleasure to help.

80. RockyRoad says:

I ran into an error everytime I clicked the “Donate” button, but it worked when I clicked the link.

$10 ain’t much, but as a pensioner, it’s all I can afford. Thanks for all you do, Anthony.

81. Johnny Terawatt says:

$50, done. I’ll look forward to your reporting.

82. Brad weaver says:

Anthony,
    I have become addicted to your website, so it’s about time to pay up, done.
    KICK butt and take names!!!
    Make sure you also get mugshots so we can recognize them later at their new jobs, selling whatever comes next.

Brad

83. M Courtney says:

Just logged into Paypal for the first ever time.

In the past I’ve never done that because my fear of internet theft overpowered my desire to give.
    Fortunately I have almost no money at the moment so the risk is very low.

If you want to attend the AGU then I trust you to do your best and am happy to help but personally, I would not want to be associated with a group that had Peter Gleick walking free.

84. NickW says:

Done. A small contribution from North of the 49th parallel…keep up the good work!

85. Jean Parisot says:

Any chance of an informal meet up, I may be going.

86. Physics Major says:

Another $50 for the pot. I know that you will put to good use.

87. Flood control engineer says:

Still gainfully employed so $100

88. A little bit to help. Please ask Gleick why he is still there. Thanks.

89. Adam says:

$20 seems like such a small amount to thank you or all you’ve done. If you get more than you need feel free to have a beer on me!

90. John Rae says:

Done – sorry it couldn’t more.

@Marcel Crock and your reply – I 2007, you weren’t the blogosphere superstar that you are now, with a lifetime achievement award for God’s sake. They would have to look extremely stupid to refuse press accreditation to the proprietor of the most widely read climate blog in the world. Surely they’re not so stupid that they don’t recognise the influence of blogs in modern communication. Actually, if they do refuse, make sure you post it here. I’ll bet money it will go viral.

91. TIngram says:

Another long time lurker.
    Enjoy.

92. Norman Hills says:

Donation made, have a good trip and, if you get the chance, ask some awkward questions :-)
    Cheers
    Norman

93. Jordan says:

Done – thanks to you and everybody else who make WUWT what it is.

94. Mac the Knife says:

Been a couple of years since my last ‘ante up’ so I flung a franklin your way.
    I truly appreciate your hard work, the WUWT resources, and daily articles from the many other knowledgeable contributors your site attracts.
    Thanks You!
    MtK

95. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

From mark wagner on August 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm:

Never mind. Between the complaints about the illegitimacy of governmental authority (EPA, etc), to the frequent connections with suspected foreign terrorists and their supporters (Jo Nova, who facilitated the funding of political dissidents who had left the US and got citizenship elsewhere, etc), this site and all connected with it are permanently on the NSA watch lists.

Thus Mr. Watts and all associates are cross-filed on the anti-government anti-taxation watch lists at the IRS. Any attempt at anything resembling any form of ducking taxation will promptly yield descending hordes of IRS agents eagerly snatching up any type of record possibly business and income related, backed by many well-armed FBI agents, plus a BATFE squad on stand-by “just in case”.

(There may also incidentally be a few unidentified sorts who do the preliminary inspection of the computers, subsequently many would-be supporters will be shocked as to how the decent-looking Watts could have had such disgusting pictures hidden on his hard drives.)

Of course given his known profound hearing problems, we shall all be shocked to learn how he failed to respond to the (softly spoken) legal commands of the officers of the law who ordered him to turn around so they could see he was not armed, with him subsequently shot in the back as they thought he was reaching for a weapon. Granted he had asked to use the bathroom and was standing in front of a urinal, but still…

So I doubt Mr. Watts wants to start a not-for-profit any time soon.

96. wws says:

I’m just hoping that my donation went to you and not some hyper-intelligent rodent.

Willard???

REPLY: Yes, but I’ve always gone by my middle name, Anthony

97. Duncan says:

Have a drink on me. Thanks for the education!

98. Southern Girl says:

Done, in thanks for a daily must read and looking forward to hearing about the conference.
    Southern Girl

99. ElmerF says:

Done. Take no prisoners.
    Used to go to AGU when I was with the Univ. soI kohow spendht ca e.

100. ElmerF says:

Damn keyboard. Previous post should have been:

Done. Take no prisoners.
    Used to go to AGU when I was with the Univ. so know how spendy these shindigs can be.

101. AndyG55 says:

$20 US from down-under.

sock it to them !! :-)

102. John Reynolds says:

I’ve learned a ton from this site. Thanks Anthony!

103. Steve in Seattle says:

Happy to assist. $ 20 via paypal. Thanks so much for all you do.

104. Pinroot says:

Done. Thanks for all you do!

105. Cheshirered says:

Well worth a $ tenner. Wish I could pay the lot in recognition of the work you and your team do. Have a brilliant trip Anthony.

106. Tom J says:

Could this post be a sticky for s bit? Just a thought.

107. Alan Watt, Climate Denialist Level 7 says:

Done. $50 in a good cause.

108. Alan Watt, Climate Denialist Level 7 says:

According to Google Maps its 173 miles (278 km) from Chico to San Francisco. You going to try to drive this in your electric car?

109. Robert of Ottawa says:

Sorry it was only $10, Anthony, but I am currently unemployed.

Hey, anyone need an electronic engineer?

110. Chris says:

Done

111. Joe Prins says:

Done. Thanks for all your work. While you get bored listening to the AGW crowd …………………perhaps an update on climategate 3?

112. David L. Hagen says:

The AGU highlights: James Hansen to Deliver Frontiers of Geophysics Lecture

James Hansen, formerly director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, is adjunct professor and at Columbia University’s Earth Institute, where he directs a program in Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions. He was trained in physics and astronomy in the space science program of Dr. James Van Allen at the University of Iowa.

113. DonS says:

Hell, Anthony, take a suite and throw a party. Way to go people, keep it coming.

114. nigelf says:

Glad to be of assistance Anthony. We need someone there who still uses and believes in the scientific method to keep tabs on the shysters.

115. John Whitman says:

David L. Hagen on August 28, 2013 at 3:54 pm said,

The AGU highlights: James Hansen to Deliver Frontiers of Geophysics Lecture

- – - – - – -

David L. Hagen,

Yep, that’s entertainment. It isn’t science in the Feynman sense. The AGU as entertainment . . .

John

116. Gee, I wonder if astrophysicist Sallie Louise Baliunas will be there and give a talk on Weather Cooking?

117. Day By Day says:

thanks for what you do Anthony! Good luck at the conference.

118. DonK31 says:

I’m in!

119. Tim Neilson says:

Done.
    Hey, wait a second, I thought Kenji was the registered member! (Or was that some other organisation?)

120. dbstealey says:

A hundred coming your way.

Folks, there is no more honorable and faithful advocate of honest science than Anthony Watts. Please do what you can, even if it’s only the cost of a Big Mac. We need someone to speak for us, and Anthony’s Big Oil paycheck has been delayed this month for some reason…

121. Doug says:

I just sent you 10% of my monthly income from big oil. I know making your detractors honest people is an uphill fight, but that is a start.

122. Thanks for your work Anthony…

123. Barry Cullen says:

Done w/ pleasure!

124. David Riser says:

Done,
    Thanks for what you do Anthony.
    v/r,
    David Riser

125. Pieter F. says:

It’s my birthday, so I sent you a present.

126. Christian Schrobsdorff says:

Done. Sorry it wasn’t a jumbo-sized sum, but it’s what we can do right now. Go get ‘em.

127. Brett Farrell says:

I sent $100 and if you want to fly, let me know and I’ll donate a return flight via airmiles.

128. Ray Hudson says:

You got it Anthony. My pleasure to support your excellent work.

129. Ian MacMillan says:

Anthony, thank you for the opportunity to give back for all the wonderful and helpful info that has come through your site all these years. Oh… and don’t forget to enjoy yourself!

130. totochi says:

$20. Thanks for your hard work

131. Vic Wieland says:

done – keep it going with my thanks

132. Ed, 'Mr Jones' says:

I’m in for TEN, all I can spare. Why?

“Well God is in his Heaven, and we all want what’s His
    But Power and Greed, and Corruptible Seed, seem to be all that there is” (Bob Dylan)

Anthony, you are an uncommonly courageous and stalwart seeker of what Is.

133. TimC says:

Please accept my modest donation just made to make sure that there will be somebody at AGU to report on climate science as from the skeptic side as requested – and to have what I hope is a safe and enjoyable trip.

134. Ed, 'Mr Jones' says:

Anthony,

I’ve no doubt there’s enough ‘juice’ among your readers to endow on ongoing Science Journalism Scholarship. I wonder if that Monckton guy has a Nickel or two?

135. Richard M says:

Done, and thanks for everything you’ve done, I’d also like to thank all the other donors. What a great group of generous individuals.

136. old engineer says:

Done. Thanks for all that you are doing and have done.

Hope you get the press pass and can use the donations for hotel, meals, and keeping up with the NGO folks, who no doubt have large expense accounts. We don’t need to be funded by Big Oil , if we could just get Big Oil from funding the NGOs.

137. Brian says:

Wish I had more to give! Please consider reimbursing me when your oil millions come in.
    Keep up the good work. Based on the responses, you should have enough to travel in style (and you’ve more than earned it!) Thank you for all you do.

138. RACookPE1978 says:

Donating already “buy-monthly” ….

It’s all that evil fossil fuel money they pay us ya know….

139. Mario Lento says:

Done: And it felt good Anthony. Thank you for being so awesome…
    It was as simple or simpler than ordering something online… using a VISA card!

140. For 13.7 cents per day, it is a bargain.

141. Did donate, But I’m going to the local casino here in La Paz and put down 200 pesos. Anything above that I will donate to the “cause”. Wish me luck…

142. Kevin Ross says:

Done

143. steve a says:

glad to help thx for one of my favorite websites and the perspectives offered

144. Johna Till Johnson says:

Done! And you might make this a regular feature. Set WUWT up as a 503c, or some such (if it isn’t already).

I really, really, really appreciate your fine work!

145. Gixxerboy says:

Glad to help. Have a great trip

146. Johna Till Johnson says:

Hey @Mike J, are you in Colorado? We might know each other….

147. John Whitman says:

Jean Parisot on August 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm said,

Any chance of an informal meet up, I may be going.

- – - – - – -

Jean Parisot,

My understanding is that, during the AGU registration process, you can select the option of showing to other registrants your registration info (identity and contact info). If you choose to do that then you can connect with other registrants during the AGU meeting.

I currently plan to be at the meeting. My real name is John Whitman. Look me up if you like.

John

148. Jim S says:

Donation done, Willie!

Enjoy your trip.

149. Michael Bentley says:

Done. A couple of beers or your favorite adult beverage. Not a lot – but what I could do.

Mike

150. Michael Bentley says:

Just been looking through the posts – and Anthony, I hope your liver is in good shape from those of use who offered you a beer.

Seriously most conferences have the best work done on alcohol stained napkins…Been there, done that.

Hope you see some friends and have a good time on our nickel – with our permission.

Mike

151. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

Bring along Willis. They should accept him to meetings for free as your “plus 1″, they shouldn’t ask so you don’t have to tell.

Then do diary bloogging, Willis and Anthony’s AGU Trip. Post regular updates, hourly or so.

Then we can check out the WAAT up’s on Watts Up.

152. Jim in NC says:

Thanks for all you do, Anthony!

Hope my $30 from a retired petroleum geo doesn’t corrupt you.

153. John Gorter says:

Maybe its just my eyesight but I read that as ‘AGU Fail Meeting’

Ciao

John

154. u.k.(us) says:

Done.
    Now I don’t feel so bad when “pushing the envelope”.
    Gotta know the limits though :)

155. Vigilantfish says:

Glad to have the chance to help you, Anthony, in the only practical way of which I am capable. I remain in awe of your tirelessness in pursuit of knowledge and truth. Have a great trip!

156. TeaPartyGeezer says:

157. TeaPartyGeezer says:

PS: May I suggest that any leftover funding be spent on dog biscuits for our favorite member of the Union of Concerned Scientists?

158. SteveOAk says:

William Norton says:
    August 28, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Because you present the card in person. They should ask you for ID as well.

159. Tom in Texas says:

TeaPartyGeezer says: August 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    “Done … with thanks for all work that you do, and to everybody else who contributes here, including some of the best commenters on the internet. The education, civility, and entertainment at this site is very much appreciated. WUWT is my favorite read every day.”

My thoughts exactly. In for $50.

160. Fred Rodriguez says:

Done! What an inspiring show of support for Mr. Watts. I hope you get 10x what you need for this conference, since I’m confident that anyone who is as dedicated as you are to the labor of love that is this site will be the best possible steward of any surplus in exposing the truth about climate science (and misinformation). I look forward to hearing about the conference.

161. TimTheToolMan says:

Anthony replies “I tried way back in 2007, but they didn’t consider WUWT to be “bona fide” then. I doubt they’ll approve now, but it is worth it I suppose just to get an answer again. – Anthony”

Haha! They’d have seen this post by now. There’s no point in approving a freebie when they know they can get a full registration fee from you ;-)

162. Mikeyj says:

Johna Till Johnson says:
    August 28, 2013 at 6:07 pm
    Hey @Mike J, are you in Colorado? We might know each other….

Nope, southeastern Michigan. NOT DETROIT, NOT DETROIT.

163. Aphan says:

I’ve got this thread on a feed so every response goes to my email box. It’s made me smile and brought me to tears a couple of times today. It’s so incredible to know that good people can still ask and that good people will still respond. And it just keeps coming! I love it!

This thread demonstrates something that Mann, and Cook and Dana and others will NEVER get to experience. I can only hope that Anthony will spend the entire week knowing that his work, his heart, and the respect and admiration we have for him are the BEST/HIGHEST credentials a person could ever hope for.

164. Dave says:

Random stumble. NOAA report from 1998 about the state of their monitoring equipment and plans to modernize.

165. SAMURAI says:

Done. I just donated $100 towards your trip, which I hope helps out a little.

Keep up the excellent work, Anthony!

PS. For donators outside the US, please note in the donation form, the country setting is at the very top of the application. I missed this the first time and my application was initially rejected. I fixed the country setting the second time around and it went through fine.

166. Caleb says:

Done. Have a fun conference.

167. Colorado Wellington says:

Done. Thank you.

168. Greg Rehmke says:

I’ve enjoyed reading science magazines my whole life. Since grade school. Now I read WUWT regularly, like a magazine, and share various fun posts on Facebook. I’d subscribe to WUWT News if it was a magazine. Maybe a “subscribe” app or feature would be handy…. Anyway, I subscribed/donated for 2013.

169. KevinK says:

Anthony, I do indeed have quite a bit of respect for your work regarding the horrible state of the temperature measurements used to support this hoax. However, since you have decided to censor anyone with doubts about the “greenhouse effect hypothesis” and labeled us as “deniers” I find it distasteful to assist you. Perhaps you can hitchhike to your intended destination ?

I would donate “my two cents” but I suspect the transaction fees would swallow my donation.

Cheers, Kevin.

170. Colorado Wellington says:

Tim Neilson says:
    August 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    … I thought Kenji was the registered member!

Kenji is a member of a mutual support group of upset scientists.

171. CD (@CD153) says:

Donated. Have a great time in San Francisco Anthony. Your website is much appreciated because I despise seeing science being abused and manipulated by the alarmist quacks. Spent some time there myself back in the late 1970s when I was serving in the Navy. Never did take the tour of Alcatraz though. I now wish I had.

Buy a hockey stick to present to Mikey as a gift. I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.

172. Susann Macklem says:

Done and Thank You!

173. John Andrews says:

Have a beer on me. Enjoy the show. We enjoy yours here.

174. j.pickens says:

Left a small contribution from this self employed admirer.
    I would bet that by now you’ve gotten enough for the trip plus perhaps a bit extra to support your other efforts.

I like the idea of taking Willis with you, if possible.

Also, anyone else in the skeptical camp who can afford it should consider making the trip. The more non-CAGW participants, the better.

175. u.k.(us) says:

KevinK says:

August 28, 2013 at 9:36 pm

“…However, since you have decided to censor anyone with doubts about the “greenhouse effect hypothesis” and labeled us as “deniers” I find it distasteful to assist you. Perhaps you can hitchhike to your intended destination ?”
    ============
    It is a sad state of affairs, the rented jet (wouldn’t that be cool) may not materialize.
    We’re trying.

176. Brian H says:

Done. Hope you get enough to fly, and room and eat in style!

177. Guy Fardell says:

Met you as well as listened to you in Chicago at the Heartland Conference (tall Swede with a moustache). Can’t appreciate your work more!!
    Donation done and please have good beer on me!

178. Janice Moore says:

If you’re ever feeling discouraged or when life is just getting you down, read this thread,
    An-th-o-ny. “No man is a failure who has friends.” Mark Twain

Here’s to you, A-n-th-o-ny Watts, the richest man in town.

Knock ‘em dead in San Francisco!

[Thank you, Janice. ~. mod]

179. JPeden says:

Is nudity mandatory or can you wear a loin cloth?

180. mogamboguru says:

As a dad of three teenagers, I have to wait for the coming payday to offer my contribution.

But then… ;)

181. bilbaoboy says:

Done.

Go, man go!

182. Coldish says:

Would happily donate $20 to help fund your participation in the conference but Paypal doesn’t accept my Visa cards. Here’s wishing you succes in the venture anyway.

183. i8n says:

£20 from an English reader.

184. Randy Hilton says:

I wish I could fund the whole trip!

185. meltemian says:

Done. Sorry it’s not more, you’re worth a lot, lot more!

186. Philip Aggrey says:

Hi Anthony

A small token of appreciation from the Skeptics of middle England.

$20 from Philip in Milton Keynes. Done

187. mogamboguru says:

Coldish says:
    August 29, 2013 at 12:51 am
    ////////////////////////////////
    Coldish, Paypal is just one email-address away. All you need to do is to sign up there.

188. Lars Kallsater says:

Done. Thanks for your persistent efforts.

Lars

189. JP Miller says:

You’ve got my donation. Happy to support you and “the cause” (of keeping climate science skeptical).

190. George Lawson says:

Even if they don’t give you press accreditation, will you be putting in a pile of WUWT press articles into the press room for the media to pick up?. There are sure to be at least one or two open minded news organisations that will look at your news item objectively.

191. Nial says:

£13.30 of proper money contributed!

192. old construction worker says:

Done. Have fun at “the get together”.

193. tobyglyn says:

Only $20 but every bit counts, thanks for all your work Anthony.

194. Anthony Watts says:

195. dbstealey says:

All I can say, Anthony, is that you’re worth it.

Your friend & suppotrter,

~ Dave

196. mrmethane says:

Glad to help out. I look at it as a very miniscule fee for wide use of your copyrighted gems. /mark fraser

197. Paul - Nottingham says:

You must be at least heading to $5,000 now. I hope that you consider the suggestion hat any excess should be used to fund the expenses of a WUWT representative at such conferences. If you let us know when the conferences were we could keep it topped up too.

It must add a little prestige to go to an event knowing that you have been helped by the voluntary and sometimes sacrificial gifts of people who wish to support your activities.

198. Mark Bofill says:

Anthony,

Since your switch to enterprise status (http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/08/07/announcement-wuwt-success-earns-an-invitation-to-enterprise/), I’ve been wondering where to make regular donations. Will paypal donations to the surfacestations link (http://www.surfacestations.org/donate.htm) work for this, or are you going to put in some other donation link for this purpose?

REPLY: I have not got this setup yet. Still trying to figure out Nuances of Enterprise – Anthony

199. RobW says:

Missed it this time but will help next time something like this comes up. Thank you for all you do.

200. Eric Ellison says:

Anthony

$50.00 sent. with great appreciation for what you do. Another $50.00 sent for Kenji should he wish to attend any meeting of UCS. Kennel reservations here in Atlanta run about $20 a night so that should cut down on his costs. (smile).

Actually since you cut off on the request it went to the Surface Stations project. Seriously we readers and contributors at WUWT should be able to sponsor any trip you might want to take to represent us at a Climate Conference!

What would REALLY be impressive (to me) would be for you to show up in one of your electric cars!

Eric Ellison

201. Espen says:

Gotta laugh when Mann links to this thread with this tweet:

@MichaelEMann: Being stalked by #HeartlandInstitute/#Koch-funded climate change denier #AnthonyWatts & his mob: http://t.co/ZI4CxHTsYq #CarnivalBarkers

202. Mike Brown says:

Done Thank You For Your Service To Our Country!!!

203. Karl W. Braun says:

My donation was also sent via SurfaceStations. :-)

204. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

The Mike Mann Twithead sequence, which I viewed in Private Browsing Window which somehow makes full links be copied in the “archival” text copies below:

Michael E. Mann ‏@MichaelEMann
    Being stalked by #HeartlandInstitute/#Koch-funded climate change denier #AnthonyWatts & his mob: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/08/28/requesting-some-assistance/#more-92604 … #CarnivalBarkers
    10:23 AM – 29 Aug 13

Mark Burnley ‏@DrMarkBurnley
    @MichaelEMann has he never heard of travel grants? But registration fees for sci meetings are getting ridiculous imho!
    10:27 AM – 29 Aug 13

Michael E. Mann ‏@MichaelEMann
    .@DrMarkBurnley Can’t #AnthonyWatts just go back to #Heartland/#Koch for another 88K? http://www.desmogblog.com/anthony-watts
    10:32 AM – 29 Aug 13

Steve Bloom ‏@stevebloom55
    @MichaelEMann Completing the analogy: AW is indeed a carnival barker, but he’s also the dog-headed boy.
    11:15 AM – 29 Aug 13

Classy.

205. Mike La Jolla says:

If you’d like to upgrade to the Four Seasons, open up the donation link and ask for more. Some of us were late …

206. Sam The First says:

Lord, that man Mann is sick. Enough of that! Too depressing.

Anthony, I emailed a friend in San Francisco whom you would like a lot to see if they could put you up; alas they can’t but would love to buy you dinner. Or lunch.

This is a serious offer, and Jim is a seriously good host, and great company. He’s also a member of the San Fran Yacht Club. Email me if you want to take him up.

207. Sedron L says:

I am a full member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in good standing.

Uh, nearly anyone can be as long as they pay the dues. Let’s not act like it’s some big honor.

208. Sedron L says:

Can’t the Heartland Institute pay your way?

REPLY: Despite what some people believe, I’m not in the employ of Heartland. – Anthony

209. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

Michael Mann mentions about why can’t Anthony get the money from Heartland/Koch.

A few hours later, Sedron L wants to know why Anthony can’t get the money from Heartland.

Correlation suggests “Sedron L” is another mindless Mann-loving sycophant, but of course this is not proof.

210. Anthony Watts says:

Dr. Mann shows his true self in those tweets. The reason is that I never got $88K from Heartland, that was what was requested, not given. I got half that ($44K) to start the project. Thanks to Gleick’s thieving document interference and the resulting brouhahah, the second half never materialized. And, it came from an independent donor. More on that here: http://wattsupwiththat.com/about-wuwt/faqs/

The project funding was for a specific website, to provide a realtime map of the CRN data which NOAA never seems to want to use in their monthly and yearly State of the Climate Reports.

See http://climatereferencenetwork.org/

I’m sure Dr. Mann will immediately renounce as some instrument of the “Kochtopus”.

Right now, the NOAA satellite feed is down, so there are no hourly CRN station data displayed on the main map.

211. leon0112 says:

Anthony – Group looking for someone to give a presentation on Hockey Sticks at Oregon State this fall. Willing to pay travel expenses and honorarium. Can I interest you?

212. Janice Moore says:

“Being stalked… .” (Mann)

Yeah, right. In your dreams. NOBODY is following you, pal.

Nobody.

213. Janice Moore says:

Thank you, so much, dear Moderator, for acknowledging my heartfelt video post of 8/28 at 11:21pm.

Janice

214. Aphan says:

Janice-perfect response. In his mind, this thread constitutes stalking in the same way he thinks that his work constitutes science. Someone needs to come up with the Dictionary of Mann….Josh?

215. Janice Moore says:

Thank you, Aphan! #(:))

216. RockyRoad says:

Sedron L says:
    August 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I am a full member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in good standing.

Considering the large disparity between the AGU’s crazy views on “Global Warming” and Anthony’s scientific views, perhaps Anthony is surprised they let him keep his “good standing”.

Not that it’s necessarily something to aspire to, for the AGU’s position certainly isn’t honorable.

217. RockyRoad says:

Steve Bloom ‏@stevebloom55

11:15 AM – 29 Aug 13

I can think of about 137 highly disrespectful and expletive-laced rebuttals to this human that calls himself Michael Mann, but the one I think fits him best and is most derogatory is “non-scientist“.

Do you want evidence?

Simply consider the tweet above as Exhibit A, and you be the judge.

218. Grant Klokeid says:

I sent $20 via paypal. I check your website almost every day – always something worthy to read. Have a fun at the mtg and report to us what you find out.

219. kadaka (KD Knoebel) says:

Now Rocky, what’s so wrong with Steve Bloom’s twittering? He’s just confirming that age-old popular adage about owners looking like their pets. Just look at side-by-side pics of Watts and Kenji, can’t you see the resemblance?

(This concludes the presentation of Mr. Bloom’s possible defense against the defamation lawsuit.)

220. RockyRoad says:

You’re right, KD–I don’t think Mann has a pet, so looking like nothing is remarkably appropriate in his case.

221. Janice Moore says:

Aphan! You have magical powers, I think. Yes, I noticed. I’m sure it was for the best, but your quip was excellent.

222. Janice Moore says:

Oh, laugh out loud, Aphan, I WAS MIXED UP! Your quip was on a different thread and, BTW, that time and space waster is (to be ignored, imo) trying to make C.M. out to be another Al Gore, Inventor of the Internet. Sorry for the wasted space above (blush).

223. Eli Rabett says:

Somewhat late, but two unrelated things.

First saying that you are going to AGU to “keep tabs” on someone is not exactly matching the purpose of a scientific meeting and verges on stalking. You were not exactly happy when someone showed up at your place of business to “keep tabs” on you and AGU is an important place of business and learning for many of the attendees.

Second, AGU has a rather remarkable structure. It recognizes that AGU is often a secondary affiliation for most scientists, and thus they keep the dues low and charge for everything else (for example, it costs ~$50 to submit an abstract to cover the costs of processing). That being said, $415 for a conference, including coffee, beer, hall rental, etc. is not out of line. Since you derive income from WUWT, it is a business expense to you and there is some tax benefit there.

REPLY: Oh, please. Mann is just making hay with innocuous language, and you in your usual way suck up to it. It is one thing to barge your way into a private office uninvited, as Anna Haynes did to me, quite another to attend a presentation that Mann or Gleick might present that is open to all attendees of a conference. These two clowns have collectively caused more damage to the integrity of climate science than all of your anonymous bunny hops combined, so any presentations they give are worth reporting on. – Anthony

224. Jantar says:

Another small donation added. I see that you already have met your target, but I’me sure a little bit extra won’t hurt. ;)

225. @njsnowfan says:

Even though You met your goal I sent you $30. Have a nice lunch on me..
    Thanks for all you have done to keep at least one referee in the climate game daily.

226. Eli Rabett says:

There is an implication of following “keeping tabs” on someone. Eli is a happy bunny to hear that you are only interested in going to talks and posters rather than trailing others. As your reply attests the former can make one very uncomfortable. But, BTW, who brought up Mann or Gleick?

(Reply: Mann brought up Mann in 1997. Gleick brought up Gleick when Gleick admitted that he had engaged in unethical activity. Any other questions? ~mod)

227. Aphan says:

When people ignore/edit out key points of what someone else said to make their own point, it’s a huge red flag to me personally. Maybe the “interpreter” has a short term memory problem, or a reading comprehension issue. Or maybe the interpreter just wants to insinuate that they have some supernatural ability to read minds and has determined that the object of their interpretation has sinister motives undetectable by regular human beings. Either way, what Anthony actually said was:

“I hope to attend so that I can cover what is being presented in the world of climate science, while keeping tabs on the antics of people like Michael Mann, Peter Gleick, and some of the other players.”

Note-his stated reason was to “cover what is being presented…while keeping tabs on the antics of”. Normal reading comprehension indicates that he was specific about what he wanted to “keep tabs on” and that was “the antics” of some people. Now, if that “borders on stalking” to you, then you must have a truly unique understanding of the word stalking that I’d like you to share with the class.

Note also-I have no idea, nor do I care, whether or not Anthony “derives income” from WUWT, but either way, he cannot write off a “business expense” on his taxes unless he actually has spent the money in the first place. If he doesn’t actually have that kind of money to spend, then the business can’t benefit from either the expense or the tax write off.

Now go away little global warming rain cloud. You’re masking my warm fuzzy feelings and leaving a distinct chill in the atmosphere here.

228. Eli Rabett says:

Sorry, perhaps Eli was not clear. Allow dibs. Who brought up Prof. Michael Mann or Dr. Peter Gleick in the context of what Eli wrote: going to AGU to “keep tabs” on someone is not exactly matching the purpose of a scientific meeting and verges on stalking.

The Rabett was quite happy to hear that the purpose of Mr. Watts’ attending AGU was to listen to talks and view posters.

229. Aphan says:

“There is an implication of following “keeping tabs” on someone”

Gasp! On twitter and other media forums, they even call it…. FOLLOWING!
    Nation of stalkers by your definition!

230. Aphan says:

People who talk in third person are creepy.

231. I am now a twit follower of Prof. Michael Mann. Will following Michael Mann on Twitter be similar to the famous Twit Olympics?:

232. Henry Galt says:

Aphan says:
    August 30, 2013 at 1:40 pm

People who talk in third person are creepy.

My Mum always said “Creepy is as creepy does.”

233. charles nelson says:

I suppose when your public persona is forced to believe and advocate a cause which deep down you know is not true, speaking of yourself in the 3rd person is a kind of safety valve/get out clause. Disassociation.

Comments are closed.