Another cold blast for the USA in 7-10 days

Dr. Ryan Maue alerts us of this forecast via his Twitter feed:

ECMWF 12z drops cold hammer on NW and Western US in 7-10 days. Trending much colder…

Here’s the forecast graphic:

About these ads
This entry was posted in Forecasting. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Another cold blast for the USA in 7-10 days

1. Chris B says:

They need to post Al Gore’s itinerary as part of the forecast.

2. Tim Clark says:

Thanks! Love that cold weather!
    /sarc

3. vukcevic says:

PhD Studentship
    Project title: Improving forecasts of cold winters in the UK
    University of Reading – Department of Meteorology
    Supervisors: Caroline Jones & Ken Mylne (Met Office)
    Start date: January 2013

Anyone interested?

4. Martin Clauss says:

” . . . ~ 20 degrees below normal for those sections of the USA For balance, Nature has provided a nice +20 warm patch in Siberia too . . ”

And GUESS WHICH one the lamestream media will pick up next week ?

5. PRD says:

Looking forward to it!

6. Eric says:

If the weather forecast turns out to be correct, my CAGW forecast says they will be focusing on Siberia…

7. HenryP says:

nah?, what did I tell you. It is just going to get colder and colder.
    It will take another 4 years before we have “bottomed out”.
    stop worrying about the carbon. Start getting worried about the cold.

8. Hansen will point out Siberia while ignoring the US.

9. john robertson says:

MSM will be bleating about climate change warming Australia [Spring] and claiming extreme weather in the USA caused by CC its unprecedented waahh.

10. Tim Walker says:

The weather forum I follow has noticed that also. At this point it is a little ways out. It will probably change before that time arrives, but it is interesting to watch. Weather people call it model riding, as we watch the models for a approaching, interesting, weather event.

11. ConfusedPhoton says:

Cold blasts are not inconsistent with global warming hahaha

12. Martin457 says:

The insects are not going to like this.

13. Pull My Finger says:

Nature… balance… go figure!
    The chromatic scale on that map is atrocious.

14. ldd says:

Hm, as well I think the media will be pumping the heat wave in Siberia as proof of CAGW – however reality on the ground in those States will have many needing their mittens.

15. Jim G says:

Looks like the east coast will experience global warming while we freeze here. Suppose the media will notice the cold section of the country with the east warm in November?

16. George says:

Australia has not been too warm so far this year according to the following and later articles:- http://iceagenow.info/2012/08/darwin-coldest-august-night-record/ A blast of polar air from a cold-front in southern Australia last week managed to push all the way up to the tropics. Darwin shivered through it’s coldest August night on record Monday after the temperature dropped to just 13.1C Monday, more than seven degrees below the August average minimum of 20.4C. Then October snow … http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/andrews/australia-storm-gives-rare-snow/124123

17. Billy Liar says:

vukcevic says:
    October 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

I thought the UK Met Office’s regional forecasts for the rest of this century were so good they couldn’t possibly be improved (except with a larger supercomputer). /sarc

18. G. Karst says:

Now THAT looks like the weather of my childhood! GK

19. TXRed says:

And just yesterday I was looking at the next week’s forecast and thinking, “we are going to pay for this when the law of averages finally catches us.” Judging by that forecast, I’d best plan a memorial service for my tomatoes for the 29th.

20. HenryP says:

TXRed says
    I’d best plan a memorial service for my tomatoes for the 29th.
    henry asks
    where do you live?

21. Duster says:

Some real weather here in California would be good. The weather has been so consistently beautiful it has become boring.

22. Russ says:

Reblogged this on Is it 2012 in Nevada County Yet? and commented:
    Hear is a heads up cold weather is coming our way. Time to check the garden and do some final harvesting.

23. Berényi Péter says:

“~ 20 degrees below normal for those sections of the USA For balance, Nature has provided a nice +20 warm patch in Siberia too.”

And how Siberians dread warmth, you have no idea… Especially the kind which, in spite of being 20 degrees warmer than usual, is still below freezing. Rest assured, this coldwarmth is their worst nightmare came to life.

24. Susan says:

I’ve looked everywhere, but thought the weather folks here could help me. The Tennessean, former employer of Al Gore, has today endorsed Mitt Romney and I’m wondering if this cold snap is significant enough to have dropped the temperatures in Hell?

25. Mark C says:

Current run available at http://www.ecmwf.int is radically different – at to above normal for the west half of the US except for possibly WA/OR.

26. M Courtney says:

UK is predicted a heatwave for next week.
    Makes you wonder if this global temperature matters to anyone in any practical sense.

27. Austin says:

That model did the same thing about a week ago.

Has the Arctic Vortex formed yet?

28. DavidG says:

I agree, here in CA, snow in SF would really be a signal! Bring it on!

29. Looking forward to the Icicles hanging from my nostrils!!!

30. John F. Hultquist says:

The map at the top is for 850 hPa (roughly about a mile up) and in Celsius degrees. It is not a surface forecast map. Compare, for example, NWS for Bismarck, ND for next Thursday – expecting a low in the lower 30s (F). Still, stay tuned.

31. Chuck Nolan says:

I hope Al isn’t coming to Florida. My plant’s aren’t ready for an early frost.
    cn

32. Brian H says:

TXRed says:
    October 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

Pick ‘em green, slice and fry in butter. Delicious.

33. Rob says:

Classic PNA- pattern phase.

34. Robertvdl says:

Until last year these graphics were free Dr. Ryan Maue . I loved http://policlimate.com/weather/current/gfs_dyntrop_nh.html
    I know you also have to make a living. Too bad I do not buy anything over the internet.

35. beng says:

Oh wait, how can that be? I thought all that open Arctic ocean water was supposed to prevent that? Where can cold air come from now?

We’re all doomed I say, doooomed…

36. TrueNorthist says:

Robertvdl @ October 19, 2012 at 3:53 am

The subscription is worth every penny. I tried to go without for a while but Ryan’s model runs are invaluable. And you are correct, he does have to earn a living and I am happy to oblige.

Comments are closed.